NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Nuclear Waste Disposal Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Aegara
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2009
Capitalizt

[Draft] Nuclear Waste Disposal Act

Postby Aegara » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

The Peoples of the World Assembled,

REALISING that many nations will wish to at some point build nuclear power stations;

AFFIRMING the right of nations to persue peacful nuclear technologies;

APPALLED nonetheless that the nuclear waste poses a threat to lives, if it contaminates the water table, soil or air;

MANDATE that nuclear waste shall be classed as high level radioactive waste if it meets the qualifications as follows, which are defined as "radioactive waste that is radioactive enough for the decay heat to significantly increases its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings;"

FURTHER MANDATE that this waste must be disposed of in such a way as to not pose a threat of contamination to the outside ecosystem;

ESTABLISH the World Assembly Nuclear Regulatory Council (WANRC) to fund the construction of, and research into, methods for the safe disposal of high level radioactive waste in member states;

ALLOW the WANRC to appropriate funds from the WA General Fund to conduct its business;

VEST in the WANRC the authority to impose fines and sanctions against nations who do not dispose of the high level radioactive waste in a safe manner and;

DECREE that money gained from fines shall be placed into the World Assembly Safe Nuclear Technologies Fund and this used to further fund development of safer, cleaner nuclear technologies;

ENCOURAGE the trading of nuclear waste in the hope that member nations may both benefit from purpose built storage facilities, and the inflow of capital that is generated thus.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions are very welcome, even encouraged :p Please bear in mind that this is a very early and very rough draft with lots of room for maneuver.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Lets take this bit by bit, shall we?

unneccessary, but not objectionable. So far so good

REALISING that many nations will wish to at some point build nuclear power stations;

Obvious point is obvious

More obviosity (thats a word in my language. deal with it.)

APPALLED nonetheless that the nuclear waste poses a threat to lives, if it contaminates the water table, soil or air;

Getting to a point, but appalled that this is making the assumption that nations which have nuclear power pepper the soil with the waste indiscriminately

MANDATE that nuclear waste shall be classed as high level radioactive waste if it meets the qualifications as follows, which are defined as "radioactive waste that is radioactive enough for the decay heat to significantly increases its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings;"

Is there a General Assembly officially approved term for "duh".

FURTHER MANDATE that this waste must be disposed of in such a way as to not pose a threat of contamination to the outside ecosystem;

Mandating that we use a bit of intelligence when disposing of nuclear waste. That is a waste of words.

ESTABLISH the World Assembly Nuclear Regulatory Council (WANRC) to fund the construction of, and research into, methods for the safe disposal of high level radioactive waste in member states;

Now we get down to it. The creation of another committee to poke around in our business.

ALLOW the WANRC to appropriate funds from the WA General Fund to conduct its business;

And siphon money off from the general fund to point out obvious things to nations with nuclear plants.

VEST in the WANRC the authority to impose fines and sanctions against nations who do not dispose of the high level radioactive waste in a safe manner and;

We are fairly certain this makes the proposal illegal.

DECREE that money gained from fines shall be placed into the World Assembly Safe Nuclear Technologies Fund and this used to further fund development of safer, cleaner nuclear technologies;

As does this.

ENCOURAGE the trading of nuclear waste in the hope that member nations may both benefit from purpose built storage facilities, and the inflow of capital that is generated thus.

So now this is the "Nuclear Waste Commerce Act"?

All in all, this needs work, lots of it, to make even a potential resolution. We thank the proposer for allowing the GA to see this first and debate it prior to submission.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:00 pm

In general, this proposal seems to be weaving its way around actually accomplishing anything concrete, and just simply setting up another committee to figure out solutions to problems on its own. I, being a very cynical person, don't believe that we can really trust these committees to accomplish what they have been designed to do unless we actually set some serious, realistic goals for them. Just telling them to
...MANDATE that this waste must be disposed of in such a way as to not pose a threat of contamination to the outside ecosystem;
really is not specific enough. We need to think of some ways for them to do this, otherwise the goal is far too vague.

The proposal is also riddled with spelling errors.

I also get a feeling that we've seen something like this before...
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Aegara
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Well specific goals is absolutely something that can be incorporated into this, however two spelling errors, namely "peaceful" and "pursue" (not counting the British "realising") is hardly "riddled" with errors. What kind of specifics did you have in mind?

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Sorry. If you've ever seen how terribly obsessive I get over writing, you'd understand that I'll see two spelling errors and start to flip out over it.

Let me think about it for a little while. I can't think of something complete and exact at the moment, but I've got a few ideas.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

<Deleted.>
Last edited by Burninati0n on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:58 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

We are fairly certain this makes the proposal illegal.
And pointless. I know roleplay wank can be fun for some nations, but it's not as if compliance is optional.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 am

Anyhow, there is scope for legislation on this matter. Unsafe nuclear storage is a danger that can affect member states across international borders (OOC - the obvious example is Chernobyl - which has had a recorded effect on other nations). Moreover, the risk presented by terrorist organisations obtaining nuclear waste does present a risk to life.

I'm also encouraged by the suggestions within the proposal for member states to collaborate on storage solutions.

I also think there is scope for legislation encouraging member states to collaborate and render aid in major disasters, such as nuclear meltdowns - but I would suggest that best resides in a resolution more targeted at humanitarian aid during disasters (heck - there might be one already...)

I've rewritten the original draft with the first two points in mind, and taking out the awful committee. Feel free to rip it to shreds - it only took me 10 minutes to do.
The General Assembly

NOTING the benefits of the application of nuclear technologies;

AWARE that nuclear waste poses a sustained threat to life;

NOTING the potential security threats presented by terrorist organisations obtaining nuclear waste to use to endanger life;

DETERMINED that this waste must be disposed of in such a way as to not pose a threat of contamination to the outside ecosystem;

MANDATES that nuclear waste shall be classed as high level radioactive waste if it meets the qualifications as follows, which are defined as "radioactive waste that is radioactive enough for the decay heat to significantly increases its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings;"

ENCOURAGES the collaborative efforts of member states to develop solutions for the safe storage or disposal of nuclear waste;

ENCOURAGES the dissemination of best practices and research by member states for the safe storage and/or disposal of nuclear waste;

MANDATES that member states take measures to ensure the security of any nuclear waste storage or disposal solution.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I think it is possible to promote responsible waste disposal without a committee as the honoured ambassador Hirota has just done, but I think it would be worth the risk to tighten up the definition of nuclear or toxic waste in a direct yet watertight-as-possible way.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I think it is possible to promote responsible waste disposal without a committee as the honoured ambassador Hirota has just done, but I think it would be worth the risk to tighten up the definition of nuclear or toxic waste in a direct yet watertight-as-possible way.

Could always keep it simple...

DEFINES radioactive waste as the by-product of industrial or military processes which presents a risk of low or high level radiation.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:07 am

Hirota wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I think it is possible to promote responsible waste disposal without a committee as the honoured ambassador Hirota has just done, but I think it would be worth the risk to tighten up the definition of nuclear or toxic waste in a direct yet watertight-as-possible way.

DEFINES radioactive waste as the by-product of industrial or military processes which presents a risk of low or high level radiation.

OOC: Even if the risk is so low that it's relatively harmless? For example, some mine spoil might contain minute traces of radioactive minerals and yet emit less radiation than the relevant area's natural surface -- containing higher levels of such materials -- already does...
And, of course, the term "radiation" (by itself) covers not only the 'ionising radiation' about which some people might reasonably have some concerns but also radiant heat, light, and radio waves...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 am

Don't things like x-rays also emit radiation?

Not Ta'veren

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Don't things like x-rays also emit radiation?

X-rays ARE radiation, as I understand it. A form of it anyways.
Last edited by Burninati0n on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Postby Hirota » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:43 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Hirota wrote:

OOC: Even if the risk is so low that it's relatively harmless? For example, some mine spoil might contain minute traces of radioactive minerals and yet emit less radiation than the relevant area's natural surface -- containing higher levels of such materials -- already does...
And, of course, the term "radiation" (by itself) covers not only the 'ionising radiation' about which some people might reasonably have some concerns but also radiant heat, light, and radio waves...
I'll leave the decision on this to the original nation, but I'm inclined to agree regarding low level radiation.

Re: Heat, light, radio etc, I'd be more inclined to call that background radiation....provided it does not have implications to health.

X-rays are generally weak enough to be low level radiation - but there is an interesting issue with radiation therapy where it is used to treat cancers - and does have the unfortunate effect of harming the patient. However, X-rays for medical purposes and radiotherapy would not be applied using radioactive waste.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:49 am

BURNINATI0N wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Don't things like x-rays also emit radiation?

X-rays ARE radiation, as I understand it. A form of it anyways.

Thank you for the clarification.

Not Ta'veren

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:29 pm

I prefer, "The General Assembly," because its less bombastic, but thats entirely up-to-you, the UN actually prefers your way.

Try, "Realizing that many nations wish to, or have already constructed nuclear power stations;"

Peaceful? Hhhm... try, reasonably clean and efficient technologies.

You might want to mention that this nuclear waste can be dumped internationally, or spread to other countries... making this an international issue.

DEFINES nuclear waste as high level radiological waste that "is radioactive enough for the decay heat to significantly increases its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings";

Isn't that impossible without billions of eduards? Wouldn't that prevent millions of fledgling nations from investing in nuclear technology?

We would prefer if this legislation deplored the disposing of nuclear waste outside of the WA nation in question, without permission.

Okay. Kind of costly, unless some other nation has already done the research. Nuclear plants cost billions of eduards, this would surely bankrupt the General Fund.

Why not just demand that nations should dispose of high level radioactive waste in a safe manner? Because this current system would bankrupt smaller nations, and give wealthier nation's a way to make more profit.

My main point for this proposal, would be to focus your proposal on an international issue, there is no regulation on international nuclear waste dumping, and that seems like an issue of grave importance.
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esperantujo 2
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperantujo 2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:19 pm

There seems to be confusion here about "radiation" I think the proposer has gamma rays in mind. They are high-energy, high frequency electromagnetic emissions. Heat is infra-red radiation, a lower frequency. There is also a danger from the charged particles - alpha radiation is helium nuclei and beta radiation is electrons or positrons - if ingested. The fourth product of nuclear fission is neutrinos, which are believed to be harmless, and we can do nothing about them anyway. Neutrons however can initiate further nucleat fusion.
We need further research on the technicalities. However, the proposal should be against dumping in oceans, in the atmosphere and near space and in seismically unstable areas.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly