NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] WHA Pandemic Response Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Societatis Frigidus
Attaché

Founded: Oct 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] WHA Pandemic Response Act

Postby Societatis Frigidus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 am

The World Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING that the threat of global pandemics is a grave and serious concern of all nations.

NOTING that high population densities and the advent of technology enabling affordable and long distance travel has greatly increased the spread of contagious disease,

BELIEVING that it is the duty of all nations and the World Assembly to enact measures that ensure the safety of the general populace from lethal contagions,

DEFINING "contagious pandemic" as disease that lacks geographical confinement, is caused by infectious agents and spreads globally at an alarmig rate

FURTHER DEFINING "serious disease" as disease that causes irreversible impairment and/or death in the majority of the infected

Hereby,

EXPANDS the mandate of the World Health Authority (WHA) to include the following:
(1) Establishment and maintenance of global laboratories and clinical outposts with the sole purpose of researching on contagious diseases and development of vaccination against said threats.
(2) Establishment of a standing commission to oversee the development of evidence-based recommendations on vaccination programs.
(3) The right to impose mandatory vaccination programs in WA nations if
(3.1) a contagious pandemic that threatens global stability or causes serious disease is ascertained and
(3.2) a corresponding vaccination has been deemed effective and of justifiable risk.
(4) The right to order restrictions on borders and travel in case of a contagious pandemic that causes serious disease.
(5) The right to allow nation states governments to suspend civil liberties pertaining to the right to free moement (if applicable) of the infected in case of a global pandemic that causes serious disease.

REQUIRES that member nations implement the policies demanded by the WHA.

It is a fairly extreme proposition (I am assuming many nations will have problems with points (3) & especiall (5)) but I am open for changing
Last edited by Societatis Frigidus on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 am

"I feel a lot of this would be covered by the existing Epidemic Response Act: despite the title, it applies to situations of 'pandemic' as well as 'epidemic'."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

Societatis Frigidus
Attaché

Founded: Oct 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Societatis Frigidus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 am

Our legislators must have been drunk or asleep when I told them to look at existing WA agreements to check for possible references!
Please apologize us stealing your time, esteemed senator. I shall see to it that the legislators in charge are hanged going to suspiciously disappear for stealing your time and humiliating our great nation in these honorable halls.

[OOC]: Please close this. >_> I hadn't seen the Epidemic Response Act.
Last edited by Societatis Frigidus on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to General Assembly