NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Academic Collaboration Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liberea
Secretary

Founded: May 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberea » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Nordicus wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone had time to read over the rewritten proposal? If so, are there any comments on it?

I've read over the refined version and I like the clarification over the copyright issue with published papers, I am convinced there are no copyright issues or issues on weapons data, which were the only the two concerns raised.

If noone has any issues I think we should submit it with you as co-author within the next 2 days.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Why do you feel academic collaboration has to be mandated by an extra-national institution? Academic protectionism can help an economy, as it may give a nation an advantage in technological output, for example, and scientific advances can be sold when needed. It seems this proposal would make that impossible.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Serrland wrote:Why do you feel academic collaboration has to be mandated by an extra-national institution? Academic protectionism can help an economy, as it may give a nation an advantage in technological output, for example, and scientific advances can be sold when needed. It seems this proposal would make that impossible.

We would have to agree with our colleague from Serrland. While the latest draft does appear more reasonable, there is still the question of "why?". Mandates of this scope, even ones which purport to be voluntary, are all to apt to cut into serious scientific research of the proprietary nature and give rise to academic plagerism by the less scrupulous in the academic and research community. There can be large amounts of money and prestige to be gaiuned from new research, and to be mandated to share this with anybody who asks is only asking that research be stolen. There are sufficient scholarly periodicals and other published works out there which already make new research available to those who seek it, having this proposal adds nothing to that, and is quite open to academic abuse.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Darmatia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Darmatia » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Serrland wrote:Why do you feel academic collaboration has to be mandated by an extra-national institution? Academic protectionism can help an economy, as it may give a nation an advantage in technological output, for example, and scientific advances can be sold when needed. It seems this proposal would make that impossible.

We would have to agree with our colleague from Serrland. While the latest draft does appear more reasonable, there is still the question of "why?". Mandates of this scope, even ones which purport to be voluntary, are all to apt to cut into serious scientific research of the proprietary nature and give rise to academic plagerism by the less scrupulous in the academic and research community. There can be large amounts of money and prestige to be gaiuned from new research, and to be mandated to share this with anybody who asks is only asking that research be stolen. There are sufficient scholarly periodicals and other published works out there which already make new research available to those who seek it, having this proposal adds nothing to that, and is quite open to academic abuse.

I don't think that this will affect any technology which would otherwise be kept secret or give a company advantage. Having read this it seems clear that this only applies to academic data which has already been published and so is ordinerally available worldwide anyway. All this act does is prevent governments or individuals from preventing the data which scientists would usually share (something which happens very frequently as the scientific community depends on it) from reaching the scientists which need it. If we are talking real world for a moment here, all academic protectionism as stated above would remain the same. This is because the protectionism is mediated by companies NOT PUBLISHING THIER DATA IN PUBLIC JOURNALS if they do not wish it to be shared. This act does not at all force them to share what they do not want to share!! This act enshrines the right of access to the "sufficient scholarly periodicals and other published works out there which already make new research available to those who seek it" thats all!

Also all plagiarism in the academic world is

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Academic protectionism would indeed still be allowed, with both government-employed researchers and with willing civilian researchers. All this bill would prevent would be the forcing of such protectionism on universities which do not want it, and censoring universities from receiving information.

Grays Harbor wrote:Mandates of this scope, even ones which purport to be voluntary, are all to apt to cut into serious scientific research of the proprietary nature

If a researcher wishes to be keeping their work proprietary, they would be well advised not to be publishing it to begin with--and without the research being published, this bill would not impact it in the slightest.

Grays Harbor wrote:and give rise to academic plagerism by the less scrupulous in the academic and research community.

No more so than is currently possible with published academic papers.

Grays Harbor wrote:There can be large amounts of money and prestige to be gaiuned from new research, and to be mandated to share this with anybody who asks is only asking that research be stolen.

That money and prestige would be still be there, as everyone would still know whose research it is. Furthermore, the bill does not give access to "anybody who asks," but only to universities and other educational institutions.

Grays Harbor wrote:There are sufficient scholarly periodicals and other published works out there which already make new research available to those who seek it

These publications, however, are censored and restricted in some nations, which is what this bill seeks to rectify. It does not propose new methods of transmission of the data, or mandatory publication, or any other meddling; it merely prevents governments from censoring or restricting these scholarly journals and other academic papers.
Last edited by Nordicus on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Liberea
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberea » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 pm

:!: Right, any more comments or criticisms as I will be submitting this co-authored proposal soon.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm still not convinced this will do as advertised.

what category and strength are you planning on using?

Not Ta'veren

Nordicus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:what category and strength are you planning on using?

As mentioned in the latest draft, Education and Creativity, targeted towards Education. :)
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Darmatia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Darmatia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm

I don't see any problem with this proposal, I like the principles. Go ahead and submit!

:clap:

Irnola
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Irnola » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:14 am

Demanding the free flow of scientific information without censorship from any governmental body.

The representatives from the communities in Irnola have issues with this part of your proposal. We are a nation founded upon the basis of the varying psychological schools of thought. Despite our belief in the freedom of knowledge and its uses for positive goals, we would need time to collaborate our observed data from various studies and edit the information from raw data to a presentable text format before shipping it to other regions.

We would be on board with this proposal if it were edited with a tad more detail.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Irnola wrote:
Demanding the free flow of scientific information without censorship from any governmental body.

The representatives from the communities in Irnola have issues with this part of your proposal. We are a nation founded upon the basis of the varying psychological schools of thought. Despite our belief in the freedom of knowledge and its uses for positive goals, we would need time to collaborate our observed data from various studies and edit the information from raw data to a presentable text format before shipping it to other regions.

We would be on board with this proposal if it were edited with a tad more detail.

What you have just described would not be censorship, but formatting. Furthermore, that line has already been struck from the proposal. Here is the latest draft:

Academic Collaboration Act
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Educational
Proposed by: Liberea

Description:
RECOGNIZING the importance of international academic collaboration for the betterment of mankind's condition;

UNDERSTANDING the importance of access to academic papers to said collaboration;

DISTRESSED that some nations restrict access to these academic papers;

DEFINING:

"Academic papers" to be peer-reviewed research and literature pertaining to an educational field, field of scientific study, and/or the arts and humanities as taught by institutions of education;

"Institutions of education" to be any accredited institutions which offer instruction to the citizens of a nation;

The World Assembly HEREBY:

1) FORBIDS member nations from enacting laws or policies which would interfere with the voluntary sharing of academic information between institutions of education within their own nation.

2) FORBIDS member nations from enacting laws or policies which would interfere with the voluntary sharing of academic information between such institutions of their own nation and other member nations.

3) FORBIDS member nations from censoring academic papers, except as allowed by international law.

Dregruk wrote:

Biblical Creation

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:25 am

I'm curious if this permits the sharing of technology developed for military applications. If it does, on this basis my government may oppose. Hirota does not see the benefit of permitting weapons of mass destruction to fall into the hands of member states incapable of handling that knowledge responsibly.

The government of Hirota does see some grounds for collaboration on certain endeavours, but feels that there should be a shared level of scientific knowledge.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:53 am

The preamble and definitions refer to "academic papers", but the operative clauses cover "academic information" instead: Please can we have the same term (whichever it is to be) used throughout in this context, to avoid creating unnecessary loopholes?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:35 am

Hirota wrote:I'm curious if this permits the sharing of technology developed for military applications. If it does, on this basis my government may oppose. Hirota does not see the benefit of permitting weapons of mass destruction to fall into the hands of member states incapable of handling that knowledge responsibly.

The government of Hirota does see some grounds for collaboration on certain endeavours, but feels that there should be a shared level of scientific knowledge.

It would only permit the unrestricted sharing of military technology between universities and schools if that technology was already published, which is something exceedingly rare.

Bears Armed wrote:The preamble and definitions refer to "academic papers", but the operative clauses cover "academic information" instead: Please can we have the same term (whichever it is to be) used throughout in this context, to avoid creating unnecessary loopholes?

Nice catch, as I had not intended that. Here is the corrected version:

Academic Collaboration Act
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Educational
Proposed by: Liberea

Description:
RECOGNIZING the importance of international academic collaboration for the betterment of mankind's condition;

UNDERSTANDING the importance of access to academic papers to said collaboration;

DISTRESSED that some nations restrict access to these academic papers;

DEFINING:

"Academic papers" to be peer-reviewed research and literature pertaining to an educational field, field of scientific study, and/or the arts and humanities as taught by institutions of education;

"Institutions of education" to be any accredited institutions which offer instruction to the citizens of a nation;

The World Assembly HEREBY:

1) FORBIDS member nations from enacting laws or policies which would interfere with the voluntary sharing of academic papers between institutions of education within their own nation.

2) FORBIDS member nations from enacting laws or policies which would interfere with the voluntary sharing of academic papers between such institutions of their own nation and other member nations.

3) FORBIDS member nations from censoring academic papers, except as allowed by international law.

Dregruk wrote:

Biblical Creation

Liberea
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberea » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Will post latest draft tomorrow morning.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Splendid! And we shall not vote for it tomorrow morning, as we are still very much against this proposal.

Not Ta'veren

Liberea
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberea » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Splendid! And we shall not vote for it tomorrow morning, as we are still very much against this proposal.

Very well, do as you please, I have confidence that people will see the value of this act rather than scratching thier heads to come up with objections for the sake of it.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Be careful with confidence, mate. I had confidence people would spend their time writing worthwhile resolutions, not putting a draft forward for the sake of it.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Will you all please end this disgusting, puerile pillow fight?

As for the right time for everything, I shall only quote the wise Flib:

Flibbleites wrote:That's what I call rushing things, as I've said in the past, writing a resolution is a marathon, not a sprint.

Enough said.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:As for the right time for everything, I shall only quote the wise Flib:

Flibbleites wrote:That's what I call rushing things, as I've said in the past, writing a resolution is a marathon, not a sprint.

Enough said.

No new objections had been raised in what, two weeks? I'd hardly call that "rushed."

Dregruk wrote:

Biblical Creation

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Nordicus wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:As for the right time for everything, I shall only quote the wise Flib:

Enough said.

No new objections had been raised in what, two weeks? I'd hardly call that "rushed."

That could well be because those who had objections stated them, and did not feel it necessary to restate those objection over and over and over, and those who liked it said their piece and didn't feel the need to argue it endlessly either. The draft has been submitted and looks to be well on its way to not being approved, so what is the point of continuing to debate it anyhow? If it is brought back up again later, then debate can renew.

Not Ta'veren

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly