NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Replace Gasoline with Healthy Alternatives

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Animal Union
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

DRAFT: Replace Gasoline with Healthy Alternatives

Postby The Animal Union » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 am

This is my draft of a revised version of my last proposal. Hope you like it. And give constructive criticisms if necessary. I can take it.

TO THE PERSONS OF THE WORLD ASSEMBLED:

SADDENED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil have hurt the environment;

APPALLED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil have hurt the air we live and breathe in;

REVOLTED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil partly contribute to global warming;

IT IS TIME to switch to healthier alternatives.

Thus, this bill declares:

1. Gasoline production will be banned, and natural gas and oil drilling will go down with it;

2. Solar power, wind power, and biofuels will replace them (your nation's choice);

3. The production of gasoline-powered cars will cease, and one or all of the three alternatives will replace them;

4. No part of this bill shall be ignored if passed;

5. All WA nations will acknowledge this is the first part of a complete energy transformation; and

6. All WA nations will contribute to making the world a better place.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Replace Gasoline with Healthy Alternatives

Postby Rutianas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:55 am

The Animal Union wrote:This is my draft of a revised version of my last proposal. Hope you like it. And give constructive criticisms if necessary. I can take it.

SADDENED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil have hurt the environment;

APPALLED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil have hurt the air we live and breathe in;

REVOLTED at the fact that gasoline, natural gas and oil partly contribute to global warming;

1. Gasoline production will be banned, and natural gas and oil drilling will go down with it;

Why? Natural gas and oil are not used just for gasoline. You'd be condemning a lot of industry with this.

2. Solar power, wind power, and biofuels will replace them (your nation's choice);

What if nations have not achieved the technology level to harness such alternatives? Are the more advanced nations to share that technology? That right there will likely get this shot down.

3. The production of gasoline-powered cars will cease, and one or all of the three alternatives will replace them;

Again, some nations may not have achieved the technology level to do this.

4. No part of this bill shall be ignored if passed;

Did the Ambassador ignore where we have mandatory compliance?

5. All WA nations will acknowledge this is the first part of a complete energy transformation; and

6. All WA nations will contribute to making the world a better place.

What about those of us who don't use gasoline to begin with? How can we acknowledge the energy transformation? You're also asking nations who may never have heard of gasoline until now to acknowledge an energy transformation. For that matter, nations who may still be using candles and not know of energy.

The Imperial Republic must decline on our support for this as written.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 am

Does the ambassador to The Animal Union have to start a new thread for every redraft? I've seen a similar draft relating to the banning of Gasoline cars with similar text.

Yours,

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:09 am

OOC: You might want to abandon this proposal altogether, friend. I don't mean to piss on your idea... but in the rules for drafting proposals I think it says something to the extent of... you can't really address 'local' problems with international legislation. And I do believe it gave the very example of global warming... which is a real life problem, not necessarily a NS problem. And even if it were a NS problem... where? Nations exist on various planets on various universes in various times. If you DO want to address the issue you're going to have to be MUCH more... uh, general, and MUCH more compromising. You can't just go around banning vast industries.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

The Animal Union
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Animal Union » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 pm

They can learn the technology of other nations.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I checked and in the short time it's taken for you to write this proposal and the last, there still is no air pollution issue in the USoP therefore we will not ban cars as they are the only means of transportation and we certainly will not stop drilling for oil or natural gas.

Nigel S Youlkin
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:54 pm

scientists are actually finding that green house gasses arent actually hurting the enviroment. I hate the whole go green thing. I know we should help the enviroment but trees arent burning and hurricanes arent hitting Canada.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm

The Animal Union wrote:They can learn the technology of other nations.

Some nations have laws against giving more advanced technology to others. Or even the means to learn it. In other words, the Prime Directive.

In any case, I do agree with the others. There's no sense to this. You may be having problems with this stuff, so pass your own laws. No one else here seems to want it. At least not those who've replied.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:03 pm

No way can this work. You can't just suddenly ban all fossil fuels. Economies would implode and lives would be ruined. If you want to do this, make over a span of a decade or two. Otherwise there's no way in hell I'm voting for it! also, don't use a parenthesis, use a subclause. It's more formal. Clause four is unecessary as is clause six as well. It's just filler. I don't like filler, it's lazy.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:06 pm

First of all, drop "TO THE PERSONS OF THE WORLD ASSEMBLED". This is the World Assembly, not the World Assembled, the Assembled World, or the People Assembled, or the People Assembled Around the World, or whatever else you and others might think of using.

Now, a more reasonable resolution would not ban gasoline or the like, but encourage the use of 'clean technology', provide incentives for its use, and regulate pollution-heavy industry where feasible. For instance, there's no reason why the World Assembly can't require the conversion of coal plants to clean coal plants. There are carbon-trapping technologies that could also be required, and a bunch of other things that are far more reasonable and feasible than banning oil and natural gas.

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

Biteme
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Biteme » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:07 pm

The Animal Union wrote:This is my draft of a revised version of my last proposal. Hope you like it. And give constructive criticisms if necessary. I can take it.

...and who is going to pay for all this? I applaud idealism, but it must be mixed with reality. You should add a clause in here addressing the fact that this will be very expensive and that all nations must be willing to take a big hit to fund such a radical proposal. I mean, it'll take some work to figure out what areas take big hits. Military? Welfare? Education? Huge tax increases? ...and what about nations whose primary income is the exporting of natural gas and oil. Is it your intention to simply bankrupt them? ...or will you add a provision to the proposal to get more money from the WA by paying for a bailout for those nations? Oh, and please don't forget to add an additional cost for all who will suddenly lose their jobs as the result of this. The intent is great, but as it stands, such a proposal is far from adequate or complete. I mean, if you're going for the idealistic but completely impractical feel, why not add a clause abolishing war, hunger, and poverty too?

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Chetssaland wrote:scientists are actually finding that green house gasses arent actually hurting the enviroment. I hate the whole go green thing. I know we should help the enviroment but trees arent burning and hurricanes arent hitting Canada.

"While this proposal is completely foolish and does not merit our support, honoured ambassador, perhaps your scientists should check their equipment, because the overwhelming agreement in the scientific community is that greenhouse gas does in fact cause warming of the atmosphere and oceans and consequently climate change. The last time I checked, too, it was also possible to burn a tree in the normal manner, although I would not reccomend it as attempting to burn them hurts their feelings and they might smash you with their branches or grab you and squeeze you to death or something. Or are those Ents? I don't remember."

"And as for the nations in Canada, I see no reason that they would be safe from hurricanes whether or not global warming and/or climate change was happening, or even what difference it would make to this discus-"

Just then, an extradimensional inanity swept the hall, kicking up dust from the carpet and causing Caswell to sneeze, in a sound that sounded surprisingly like "Why don't you see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juan and http://www.hurricanehazel.ca/ and find out about the Victorian bushfires earlier this year you silly person!"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 am

Kelssek wrote:"While this proposal is completely foolish and does not merit our support, honoured ambassador, perhaps your scientists should check their equipment, because the overwhelming agreement in the scientific community is that greenhouse gas does in fact cause warming of the atmosphere and oceans and consequently climate change. The last time I checked, too, it was also possible to burn a tree in the normal manner, although I would not reccomend it as attempting to burn them hurts their feelings and they might smash you with their branches or grab you and squeeze you to death or something. Or are those Ents? I don't remember."

"Some of the trees in my homeland are like that; there's a whole district that's still uninhabited by Ursines because of them..."
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly