NATION

PASSWORD

Halt Of Space Weaponry Development(Draft)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm

In Future Technology, nations like us defend many planets and stars. We are unable to support such an idea as it would in fact destabilise virtually all FT empires, good or evil.

Yours etc,

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:You can pry my my frickin death star out of my cold dead hands!

Jeez, how many of us have frickin death stars? You've got one, I have the keys to the old Chuichistani one, any one else?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

I think I've got like, five in my garage gathering dust.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Flibbleites wrote:Jeez, how many of us have frickin death stars? You've got one, I have the keys to the old Chuichistani one, any one else?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

We don't have one yet, but we're working on it! I think...

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Flibbleites wrote:Jeez, how many of us have frickin death stars? You've got one, I have the keys to the old Chuichistani one, any one else?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Being MT, we don't have a Death Star, but our space agency has been working on a "Serious Papercut Asteroid".

Reviews have been mixed so far.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:01 am

Ainocra categorically refuses to dismantle it orbital based weapons program.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 am

My fellow ambassadors (well, the ones not comparing death star sizes) might want to note that the original proposer has withdrawn this idea; they do not have to worry about potentially dismantling anything right now.

Stephanie Fulton, of Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Maxaxle
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxaxle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Let's see...What would happen if this didn't pass?

In the deep, dark depths of the war-related threads...

User1: Hahaha, I <3 airstrikes...You only have a few bunkers left out of range of my army, and my airstrikes will take out the rest!
User2: Well...Uhh...I drop a small atomic bomb on your army! And fire nuclear missiles at your country, wiping it off the face of the planet!!!
User1: :oops:
User2: VICTORY IS MINE!!!

Exaggerated? Yes. Probable: YES!
Last edited by Maxaxle on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cape Athame
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cape Athame » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm

I may rewrite this. But how would a plan allowing space weaponry, but only allowing it to be used defensively, unless they have been provoked...which is still sort of a defensive use I suppose. However, what I'm trying to get at is that:
1) You can't just walk up and annihilate some nation minding its own business.(With space weapons, anyway)
2) You may only use these weapons offensively when a nation or region has declared war on your nation or region.

Alternatively, I could establish that weapons may be used as offensively as you please, but when you are initiating conflict, there is a maximum payload that you can use. For non-projectile weapons, there would be different caps, like quantum limits for energy based weapons, etc. Otherwise your weapons would be unchecked. Still, it's only an idea, but at least you can keep your death stars in action...
Last edited by Cape Athame on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009

Postby Izandai » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Unless we use them for the wrong reasons.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Cape Athame wrote:I may rewrite this. But how would a plan allowing space weaponry, but only allowing it to be used defensively, unless they have been provoked...which is still sort of a defensive use I suppose. However, what I'm trying to get at is that:
1) You can't just walk up and annihilate some nation minding its own business.(With space weapons, anyway)
2) You may only use these weapons offensively when a nation or region has declared war on your nation or region.

Alternatively, I could establish that weapons may be used as offensively as you please, but when you are initiating conflict, there is a maximum payload that you can use. For non-projectile weapons, there would be different caps, like quantum limits for energy based weapons, etc. Otherwise your weapons would be unchecked. Still, it's only an idea, but at least you can keep your death stars in action...

But we already have the right to use them defensively or offensively. I don't see why a proposal would be needed to declare those things. Most nations have a little more common sense than to annihilate a nation that hasn't done anything to them. Besides, where's the fun in annihilation? It's much more fun to threaten, hit a few military targets, then conquer.... oh... did I say that? Sorry!

Fatiguely
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatiguely » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:51 pm

While attempting this resolution is noble(though, highly unlikely to pass), I would merely like to point out that military research leads to technological advances within a society. At that point, it would be a mere detriment to advancements to limit, and/or deny the production of such.

Also, I would like to point out, the majority of nations will not lay down their armament, I being included in such a majority.

Izandai wrote:Unless we use them for the wrong reasons.

Is there a right reason for murder and mayhem?
Yar! Lemon Buccaneer of Fatiguely

Genoshin Defense Force
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Genoshin Defense Force » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:53 am

Even though this would ease any stress given by such knowledge of weaponry above us, the hopes of being stable enough to utilize our own space based firing platforms would be in jeopardy. I would say no on behalf of th PoGDF

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 am

Cape Athame wrote:I may rewrite this. But how would a plan allowing space weaponry, but only allowing it to be used defensively, unless they have been provoked...which is still sort of a defensive use I suppose. However, what I'm trying to get at is that:

You can't (legally) do that, anyway, because of the resolution 'Convention Against Genocide'...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tipsonia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tipsonia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:49 pm

The Confederacy agrees to the draft, on account that the confederacy does not posses such weapons.

Though I doubt it will pass

The UG
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Space Weaponary

Postby The UG » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:25 am

Seems like a good idea, I'll definitely vote for it.
The Mighty Federation of The UG
Most honorable delegate to the land of Cranton and co founder of the land of Cranton
Cranton|The UG|North Gilboa|The Golden Coasts

WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY

Loughmacrory
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Loughmacrory » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Me thinks that the use of this weaponry defensively is alright and needs to be defined by the WA.

Stop some nations using such technological advancements to invade or destroy other nations.

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Loughmacrory wrote:Me thinks that the use of this weaponry defensively is alright and needs to be defined by the WA.

Stop some nations using such technological advancements to invade or destroy other nations.

An opinion that makes just about as much grammatical sense as your first sentence.

"Oh, we're mass producing space stations capable of destroying entire planets. We're only going to use them for self defense. We swear. For like, when we are attacked by the evil planet of death."
Last edited by Burninati0n on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:58 pm

now that groups like sky-guard are being created, everyone will have access to space weaponry.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Cloud Flower
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cloud Flower » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 am

Our nation of cloud flower does not recognise the concept of territory and therefore tide against all forms of consideration of space weoponry developement, or any pre meditation form to its creation 8) .

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:32 am

Cloud Flower wrote:Our nation of cloud flower does not recognise the concept of territory and therefore tide against all forms of consideration of space weoponry developement, or any pre meditation form to its creation 8) .

All and good. Just stay outside our boundaries and you won't find yourself fried by our space defense systems. I'd say that'd give you recognition of the concept of territory pretty damned quick.

Sherat
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sherat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 pm

The Grand Nation of Sherat shall not halt our military funded space program. In coordination with our Navy, we, as the governing body of The Crippling Isles, shall protect our borders by any means, including orbital battlestations, Low Orbit Ion Cannons, Sattelite Defence platforms, and of course, the cliché Space Marines. Grand Moff Wolfgang Reichman, the head of our space defence ministry, has assured the nation that in the event of a trade embargo, we have the proverbial upperhand. Sherat will not back down in the event of war. All neighbouring nations located in the Isles are free to sign a Joint Armstice agreement, on the only term of defection to our region.

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Prusland wrote:We should halt all weaponry. We shouldnt fight or kill any more. all borders need to fall and all peoples need to come together

Good point, and I agree. Problem is...no one would EVER conform...
And there's nothing wrong with me,
This is how I'm supposed to be,
In a land of make believe,
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly