NATION

PASSWORD

[DEAD] Government Spending Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DEAD] Government Spending Act

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 am

Category: Political Stability
Strength: Mild

RECOGNIZING that in today's global economy, most countries must borrow from other nations to fund their own nation.
REALIZING that many countries find their way into extraordinary amounts of debt to other countries.
WISHING that these national debts can be controlled through debt limits.
DEFINING a NS dollar as a currency that is equal to 0.00077695851 of an ounce of gold which can be converted to $1,287.07 NS dollars per ounce of gold.
MANDATING that:
  1. States can only borrow up to $50 billion NS dollars (or the conversion in any nations currency) from another member nation
  2. The national debt of a nation must be below a maximum of $20 trillion NS dollars (or the conversion in any nations currency)
  3. If a national government exceeds this amount of debt they must shut down programs of their choice until their collective expenses are less than their collective income
HOPING that the World Assembly will be able to control economic depression in the future.

(It's a start, It will need work but I believe it fits within the rules.)
Last edited by Friday Freshman on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

King of the Eight Kingdoms of Friday Freshman

Defilement
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Defilement » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am

Define what country's dollars these measurements are in. Canadian, American, something else...?
And the Dread Lord looked upon the people, and he cast out the wicked Disciples of the Evil That Was, and he granted us freedom and glory, and a return to our heritage.
[OOC: This is not how I would actually run a government, so don't start complaining about how you don't like it or how I'm stupid for doing it this way.]
Art: Here

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am

Defilement wrote:Define what country's dollars these measurements are in. Canadian, American, something else...?

Redefined it as American dollars
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Zoetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoetland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am

The WA cant regulate nations on their economics in our opinion, hence our opposition to this draft. And what is an "American dollar"?

~WA Ambassador Nicolas Helliot, United Provinces of Zoetland

OOC: NS Dollars would be more appropriate.
Last edited by Zoetland on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The United Provinces of Zoetland

Hello there! SIG IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

Defilement
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Defilement » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 am

Zoetland wrote:The WA cant regulate nations on their economics in our opinion, hence our opposition to this draft. And what is an "American dollar"?

~WA Ambassador Nicolas Helliot, United Provinces of Zoetland

OOC: NS Dollars would be more appropriate.

USD is the correct form, but I'm an informal guy.
EDIT: And what's the conversion rate between USD and NSD?
Last edited by Defilement on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
And the Dread Lord looked upon the people, and he cast out the wicked Disciples of the Evil That Was, and he granted us freedom and glory, and a return to our heritage.
[OOC: This is not how I would actually run a government, so don't start complaining about how you don't like it or how I'm stupid for doing it this way.]
Art: Here

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:40 am

What, if we may ask, would be the category and related issues? We hope that the ambassador does not simply write in hopes of shoehorning this into something that might fit.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 am

The Akashic Records wrote:What, if we may ask, would be the category and related issues? We hope that the ambassador does not simply write in hopes of shoehorning this into something that might fit.

I added the category and Strength. I believe the category is political stability.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 am

The first problem I can see is, how does the debt limit affect intergalactic empires? How does it affect small nations the size of an island? How can the international community deal with this, and why does the international community need to deal with this? I'm just throwing these ideas that people are probably going to ask, in a less pleasant manner, if you will, if you don't get to it quickly.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Wheeled States of Bifid
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wheeled States of Bifid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:48 am

This is a national issue. It's a bit like saying that nations are responsible for making sure that none of their citizens go into debt by imposing limits on how much they can spend.
Last edited by Wheeled States of Bifid on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afforess wrote:This is how Democracy dies - with thunderous applause.
Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
J.E. Wheeler, Guardian, Wheeled States of Bifid, WA Delegate, Democratium

"Insanity is a gradual process, don't rush it."

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Generation 36 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

The Akashic Records wrote:The first problem I can see is, how does the debt limit affect intergalactic empires? How does it affect small nations the size of an island? How can the international community deal with this, and why does the international community need to deal with this? I'm just throwing these ideas that people are probably going to ask, in a less pleasant manner, if you will, if you don't get to it quickly.

We need the international community to deal with this because countries going bankrupt or racking up to much debt has the ability to send the global economy into a meltdown. The international community can deal with this by not regulating the amount of debt a nation can rack up. The debt limit affects intergalactic empires and small islands in the same way because regardless of how much money you make you need to regulate spending down to a small amount. About 20 trillion is when it starts to have a huge affect on the economic situation not only in your own but in other countries as well.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

Wheeled States of Bifid wrote:This is a national issue. It's a bit like saying that nations are responsible for making sure that none of their citizens go into debt by imposing limits on how much they can spend.

Yes, but now you are toying with the world economy, not just a small area's production. And nations are notoriously bad at regulating themselves.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 am

RECOGNIZING that in today's global economy, most countries must borrow from other nations to fund their own nation.
REALIZING that many countries find their way into extraordinary amounts of debt to other countries.

Do you have any evidence of this besides anecdotal fear mongering?

(OOC: NS =/= US)
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:01 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

My country has found it's way into quite a bit of debt.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Zoetland
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoetland » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am

Friday Freshman wrote:
Wheeled States of Bifid wrote:This is a national issue. It's a bit like saying that nations are responsible for making sure that none of their citizens go into debt by imposing limits on how much they can spend.

Yes, but now you are toying with the world economy, not just a small area's production. And nations are notoriously bad at regulating themselves.

Proof?

Regardless, we would vote NO.
The United Provinces of Zoetland

Hello there! SIG IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:10 am

Friday Freshman wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:

And that is OUR problem because...? Why should the members of the WA care about your financial incompetence?

And what are those meaningless arbitrary numbers you're proposing? Did you pull those out of your ass or did your economists decide that those numbers just looked pretty?
We're a splinter nation; we believe in Meadowism. We're sapient Mustela Itatsi, distant cousins of the Mustela Erminea and the Mustela Nivalis who shunned the ways of the Meadow for their belligerent beliefs.

We're cheese-powered. So, surrender your cheese. Or else. Yeah... or else. We'll... uh... we'll do something.

Oh and meadows are totally awesome. We love meadows.

Wheeled States of Bifid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Wheeled States of Bifid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 am

Friday Freshman wrote:

Not all of us.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Generation 36 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

Wheeled States of Bifid wrote:
Friday Freshman wrote:

Not all of us.

We personally love how one nation's inability to competently govern means every nation is subject to bad governance.
We're a splinter nation; we believe in Meadowism. We're sapient Mustela Itatsi, distant cousins of the Mustela Erminea and the Mustela Nivalis who shunned the ways of the Meadow for their belligerent beliefs.

We're cheese-powered. So, surrender your cheese. Or else. Yeah... or else. We'll... uh... we'll do something.

Wheeled States of Bifid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Wheeled States of Bifid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 am

I'm not entirely sure but I believe this may run afoul of GAR#68, specifically:

REQUIRES that no commerce be generally restricted by the WA unless:

1. Restricted by prior legislation, or
2. The enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 am

Wheeled States of Bifid wrote:I'm not entirely sure but I believe this may run afoul of GAR#68, specifically:

REQUIRES that no commerce be generally restricted by the WA unless:

1. Restricted by prior legislation, or
2. The enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations

Sadly, we doubt the government qualifies as "commerce". Fortunately no one is buying into this tripe.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 am

OOC
Using the term "NS Dollars" without first establishing a currency of that name within the same [or a previous] resolution would be illegal for Meta-Gaming: As things currently stand that currency exists only in RP within certain other sections of the forums, and the GA can not require people to recognise the existence of anybody's RP in other sections of the forum (or in RMBs, offsite forums, or anywhere else) as canonical.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Using the term "NS Dollars" without first establishing a currency of that name within the same [or a previous] resolution would be illegal for Meta-Gaming: As things currently stand that currency exists only in RP within certain other sections of the forums, and the GA can not require people to recognise the existence of anybody's RP in other sections of the forum (or in RMBs, offsite forums, or anywhere else) as canonical.

What would be a hard currency this could be based on.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 am

Three Weasels wrote:
Wheeled States of Bifid wrote:Not all of us.

We personally love how one nation's inability to competently govern means every nation is subject to bad governance.

I love how some nation's ability to competently govern means that every nation is subject to good governance.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

Friday Freshman wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC

If you try to use any RL currency then that's illegal for the RL reference;
if you try to use any specific NS nation's currency then that's illegal for Branding;
And if you try to make a single specified figure apply to each member nation in that nation's own currency, instead, then people will point out how differences in values between different nations' currencies make that a ridiculous approach.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am

Three Weasels wrote:
Friday Freshman wrote:

And that is OUR problem because...? Why should the members of the WA care about your financial incompetence?

And what are those meaningless arbitrary numbers you're proposing? Did you pull those out of your ass or did your economists decide that those numbers just looked pretty?

He said do you have any other evidence. I cited myself as evidence. I'm positive other countries have the same problem. The WA should care about financial incompetence in countries because this incompetence can lead to a global meltdown.
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Friday Freshman
Diplomat

Postby Friday Freshman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Friday Freshman wrote:

If you try to use any RL currency then that's illegal for the RL reference;
if you try to use any specific NS nation's currency then that's illegal for Branding;
And if you try to make a single specified figure apply to each member nation in that nation's own currency, instead, then people will point out how differences in values between different nations' currencies make that a ridiculous approach.

So if I established earlier in the bill a price for the NS dollar it would work
Signed,

King Arthur Dayne I

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly