NATION

PASSWORD

Convention on Displaced Persons Awaiting Votes

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Saxon Amer cest Helix
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Convention on Displaced Persons Awaiting Votes

Postby Saxon Amer cest Helix » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 pm

To All Delegates,

Please take a moment and consider voting in favour of the resolution on the Convention on Displaced Persons. It is awaiting votes to be considered by the full General Assembly.

Regards,

Saxon Amer cest Helix

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Re: Convention on Displaced Persons Awaiting Votes

Postby Goobergunchia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm

In the future, please state your proposal when beginning debate thereon. For the record, the proposal submitted by the delegate from Saxon Amer cest Helix is as follows:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Convention on Displaced Person

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Saxon Amer cest Helix

Description: This Assembly,
DEFINING a displaced person(s) as a person who's displaced from their nation state due to internal conflict, natural disaster, or persecution, and an asylum seeker seeking such status,
RECOGNIZING such person as a legal group with full faith, rights and obligations provided by this Assembly;
Theretofore, CONVENE the World Assembly Convention on Displaced Persons,
and this Assembly RESOLVE:
(I) Expressly to clarify the rights, roles, and responsibilities of displaced persons, nation states, and this Assembly respectively;
(II) That displaced persons have rights that are not unabridged by their status and that these rights be proclaimed inalienable and enumerated by this Assembly as
(a) freedom from discrimination due to their status, political, philosophical, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnicity, sexuality, or other such characteristic that preclude the persecution of,
(b) freedom of speech and practice their religion and to the education of their children of their religious belief,
(c) right of due process of law and access to courts,
(d guarantee of maintaining the nuclear family without further displacements,
(e) freedom of access to labour or to enter into such employments that afford the individual earned income,
(f) freedom to establish domicile or where such restrictions exist, afforded housing as provided by the DNS, and the right choose their place of residence and to move freely within its territory,
(III) That the personal status of the displaced person(s) be governed by the laws of the DNS,
(IV) That the DNS recognize and issue travel documents to displaced persons,
(V) DNS to accept with due process of law, such individual or group seeking asylum and afford such person(s) the rights afforded as defined by this Convention
(VI) DNS to afford displaced persons guarantee of continuity of residence and status without limitations of time;
(a) pursuant to due process of law governed by the DNS, expulsion of a displaced person shall only occur then or when in the interest of national security,
(b) and that the individual be afforded reasonable period to return to their nation state or be afforded the opportunity to seek admission to another nation state to apply for status,
(VII) establish the WA Commission on Displaced Persons (WACDP) and that:
(a) be headed by a High Commissioner as appointed by this Assembly and subject to the authority and direction of this Convention, the WACDP High Commissioner shall:
(1) be delegated responsibility with the observance of this Convention by this Assembly,
(2) ensure the organization, policy, plans, and programs of his Commission and report to this Assembly for the performance of the WACDP,
(4) act as an agent of this Convention of carrying into effect, the articles of this Convention and where resolutions pertaining to his office is exclusive,
(b) it shall protect and support displaced persons as petitioned by nation states or by this Assembly,
(c) assist in the voluntary repatriation or resettlement to a host nation state,
(d) provide such assistance of displaced persons as warranted or directed by this Assembly or petitioned by nation states.
It is with FULL FAITH in the generous human characteristic of this Convention, the World Assembly hereby enacts this Resolution into its records.

Approvals: 1 (Saxon Amer cest Helix)

Voting Ends: in 3 days

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN Ambassador
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:27 am

Well... this was a little difficult for me to make sense of, to be honest. There is a portion of this proposal which needs to be deleted, if you ask me.

"(II) That displaced persons have rights that are not unabridged by their status and that these rights be proclaimed inalienable and enumerated by this Assembly as
(a) freedom from discrimination due to their status, political, philosophical, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnicity, sexuality, or other such characteristic that preclude the persecution of,
(b) freedom of speech and practice their religion and to the education of their children of their religious belief,
(c) right of due process of law and access to courts,"

I think you meant to say 'abridged.' Most of the above is re-itterating things like the CoCR. You really don't need to put this in here. I think we all recognize these things as fact by now.

Furthermore... just for clarity, what are you trying to do with this proposal, anyway? Is it some sort of 'Right to Immigration'?
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 am

Also I'm not sure you can dictate what the committee make up is.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 am

Philimbesi wrote:Also I'm not sure you can dictate what the committee make up is.

"Convention, the WACDP High Commissioner shall:
(1) be delegated responsibility with the observance of this Convention by this Assembly,
(2) ensure the organization, policy, plans, and programs of his Commission and report to this Assembly for the performance of the WACDP,
(4) act as an agent of this Convention of carrying into effect, the articles of this Convention and where resolutions pertaining to his office is exclusive,"

In other words all of this should be deleted? The committee does what it does... and we shall never see the faces of these international peoples. There is no High Commissioner, so to speak. And uhm... another thing... 1, 2, 4? WHAT'S THE MISSING CLAUSE!? IT COULD BE IMPORTANT!!
Antonius Veloci

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 am

Any committee that is created are staffed by simply mystical beings that spring into life to do the job. I think job titles may not be within the rules, anyway, here's what the WA proposal rules say:
The rules wrote:Creating Stuff

Committees may be created, as long as certain things are kept in mind: nations do not sit on committees, they are staffed by mystical beings that instantly spring into existance and live only to serve on said committee. Committees are also bound by the above MetaGame rules. Also, keep in mind that Committees are additions to Proposals; they shouldn't be all the Proposal does.

Also, I have trouble figuring out what "DNS" stands for. Next time, please post the proposal here for proper feedback before jumping into the submissions box. Thanks.

Yours,

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 am

Heh. Yeah, I don't know what DNS stands for either. Though this proposal might've created the WACDP twice.

Seriously though... possible illegalities and technicalities aside, has anybody really made heads or tails of this? Nearest I can figure, it's a 'right to immigration' proposal. You know what? Scratch that. I have no idea what's going on here.
Antonius Veloci

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 am

I think the illegality may be the format.

The Rules wrote:Remember where I mentioned needing more than rhetoric? Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. This also includes Repeals with no argument, Proposals that are questions ("Don't you think we should...?"), and Proposals that are just too incomprehensible to make sense of. I realise that not everybody speaks English as a first language (or at all, for that matter). Unfortunately, NS is a game in English. If you cannot compose in proper English, seek the help of somebody (hint-hint, run it through an online translator and post here for clean-up). A Proposal won't be nuked for the occasional typo, but if I have to spend a good chunk of time trying to figure out what's going on, it'll be nuked.

Proposals written entirely in other languages are out, too.

Yours,
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saxon Amer cest Helix
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Saxon Amer cest Helix » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 pm

My apologies for the confusion: DNS stands for domicile nation state, the place where which the displaced person is currently residing/located. The full context of it was inadvertently deleted maybe because of the character limitations.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly