NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Repeal GA Resolution #9- Prevention of Torture

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Mojave wrote:Okay, I don't have much of a problem with that. BRIGHT IDEA; Why don't I add a bit more to the resolution and add 'Co-Authored by Bodobol'?

Where would you put that though? I guess you could put that in italics at the beginning.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I'll put it at the very start in Bold.
"All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu
Proud member and WA Delegate for Nesapo!
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.00. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74.
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do." - Number 7

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:08 pm

So, now all I have to do is get two endorsements... Would anyone mind joining for a day so I can submit a proposal? Haha I don't think anyone will.
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do." - Number 7

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Mojave wrote:So, now all I have to do is get two endorsements... Would anyone mind joining for a day so I can submit a proposal? Haha I don't think anyone will.

Wait until we've made the proposal a bit better.

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Yah, true.
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Proposal writing is a marathon, not a sprint. Give it a few weeks, or even a few months so that more people can see it and offer advice/criticism. As it is right now none of the more experienced GA resolution authors have even stuck their head in. You should really hear from them before you even think of submitting.
Last edited by Leutria on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah, you're right. Just like my fanfics. Don't rush it.. Just take your time. SIMON WHY ARE YOU SUCH A BAD WRITER! WAAAH I HAVE NO HOPE FOR- Oops... A little too personal.
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Leutria wrote:Proposal writing is a marathon, not a sprint. Give it a few weeks, or even a few months so that more people can see it and offer advice/criticism. As it is right now none of the more experienced GA resolution authors have even stuck their head in. You should really hear from them before you even think of submitting.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, I thought of another clause to add in, but I'm not sure if it would work at all:

'RECOGNIZING that some criminals will not confess without some amount of torture'
Last edited by Bodobol on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Ah, perfect!
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Mojave wrote:Ah, perfect!

So you think that clause would work?

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Yah, totally. I'm gonna add stuff to it also to make it more legit on my part. SO STOP INSPIRING ME!
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Soo... What now?
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Just one word for this repeal attempt.

NO

yup, that pretty much sums it up for us.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Just one word for this repeal attempt.

NO

Could you please elaborate on that a bit?

Are you saying it's just something no one would support?

Or do you think it's written/formatted poorly?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Bodobol wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Just one word for this repeal attempt.

NO

Poorly written, not something we could ever support, don't care if anybody else supports it or not as we believe it is a bad idea and will not support it even if it was cowritten by Neil Gaiman.

So, to return to our initial statement. No.

Not Ta'veren

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Bodobol wrote:

Poorly written, not something we could ever support, don't care if anybody else supports it or not as we believe it is a bad idea and will not support it even if it was cowritten by Neil Gaiman.

Okay, thank you. Like I said, this was my first attempt at a resolution, so I wasn't expecting it to be too great. I'll try to improve on them in the future.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:24 am

Bodobol wrote:So, I know what you're thinking-
"Oh, great, ANOTHER attempt to repeal this resolution."

Lord Raekevik sighed. "Yes, that is exactly what we are thinking. This repeal uses the exact same argument as all the could-be-legal repeal attempts of this resolution, an argument that has been fully refuted over and over again, so why exactly should we even engage in debate over that same argument once more? The Queendom is disgusted by the author, summarily declares their represented government a failed state and vows never to support any legislative contribution of theirs to this assembly. Now, is that discouragement enough for newcomers not to try to convince us that torture is actually a Good ThingTM? Oh, naïvety, how I love thee."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:08 am

Alqania wrote:
Bodobol wrote:So, I know what you're thinking-
"Oh, great, ANOTHER attempt to repeal this resolution."

Lord Raekevik sighed. "Yes, that is exactly what we are thinking. This repeal uses the exact same argument as all the could-be-legal repeal attempts of this resolution, an argument that has been fully refuted over and over again, so why exactly should we even engage in debate over that same argument once more? The Queendom is disgusted by the author, summarily declares their represented government a failed state and vows never to support any legislative contribution of theirs to this assembly. Now, is that discouragement enough for newcomers not to try to convince us that torture is actually a Good ThingTM? Oh, naïvety, how I love thee."

Ugh, can you shut up? Your stupidity makes my head hurt. We're not a failed state, we're just fine, and you're just dumb. The word 'Good Thing' isn't trademarked. And by the way, we aren't newcomers. Especially Bodobol, who is older than you. So please keep your diseased mouth shut and stop saying that nobody will support it. The reason we keep trying is because it might work sometime. Do you not understand the concept of perseverance? No, I guess not, seeing as you blatantly insult us and pretend that you singlehandedly can stop this.
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 am

We thought this was a joke, my aide and I, but it turns out that it wasn't. As such, addressing this in a way that we hope will reach that thick skull of yours,
Bodobol wrote:
REALIZING that GA Resolution #9, 'Prevention of Torture' outlaws the use of torture to extract information from criminals and others While you may be targeting criminals, others could use it as an excuse to 'reinforce' domestic security (read: intimidate).

APPLAUDING the good intentions of the resolution, to prevent unlawful 'confessions' from innocent people
And you're repealing this, why?

RECOGNIZES that some criminals simply will not confess without a sufficient amount of torture
Ah, but what is a sufficient amount of torture? You could get your confession from your criminal if you'd just dose said person with truth serum. No need for torture, because if you're willing to consider torture, then didn't you consider a truth serum first?

DISMAYED that it prevents torture, a commonly effective tactic, from being used on criminals who otherwise will not confess
The words "commonly effective" is highly subjective. Anyone, under torture, would give in regardless of their innocence. It is simply because, torture is actually highly effective at breaking the subject's mental strength, and repeated suggestions under torture is the exact reason why Prevention of Torture exists in the first place. If you can't at least understand this, then you've obviously never contemplated the effects of torture in the first place.

HEREBY REPEALS GA Resolution #9, 'Prevention of Torture'.

Mojave wrote:
Alqania wrote:

Ugh, can you shut up? Your stupidity makes my head hurt. We're not a failed state, we're just fine, and you're just dumb. The word 'Good Thing' isn't trademarked. And by the way, we aren't newcomers. Especially Bodobol, who is older than you. So please keep your diseased mouth shut and stop saying that nobody will support it. The reason we keep trying is because it might work sometime. Do you not understand the concept of perseverance? No, I guess not, seeing as you blatantly insult us and pretend that you singlehandedly can stop this.

Actually, it is your stupidity that's hurting the fellow ambassadors' heads. If you want to play by seniority, then, Grays Harbor beats Bodobol by at least 5 years, and here's
Grays Harbor wrote:
Bodobol wrote:

About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 am

The Akashic Records wrote:We thought this was a joke, my aide and I, but it turns out that it wasn't. As such, addressing this in a way that we hope will reach that thick skull of yours,
Bodobol wrote:
REALIZING that GA Resolution #9, 'Prevention of Torture' outlaws the use of torture to extract information from criminals and others While you may be targeting criminals, others could use it as an excuse to 'reinforce' domestic security (read: intimidate).

APPLAUDING the good intentions of the resolution, to prevent unlawful 'confessions' from innocent people
And you're repealing this, why?

RECOGNIZES that some criminals simply will not confess without a sufficient amount of torture
Ah, but what is a sufficient amount of torture? You could get your confession from your criminal if you'd just dose said person with truth serum. No need for torture, because if you're willing to consider torture, then didn't you consider a truth serum first?

DISMAYED that it prevents torture, a commonly effective tactic, from being used on criminals who otherwise will not confess
The words "commonly effective" is highly subjective. Anyone, under torture, would give in regardless of their innocence. It is simply because, torture is actually highly effective at breaking the subject's mental strength, and repeated suggestions under torture is the exact reason why Prevention of Torture exists in the first place. If you can't at least understand this, then you've obviously never contemplated the effects of torture in the first place.

HEREBY REPEALS GA Resolution #9, 'Prevention of Torture'.

So the fact that torture works is why it's banned? One reason to legalize it is because it is very effective and works yet now we can't use it. And if you haven't noticed, many proposals/resolutions applaud or praise the good intentions of the law they want to repeal, because it wouldn't make sense voting in a law that does something bad. We just want permission to use an effective way of interrogation. And also, I really don't know if a 'Truth Serum' actually exists. And if it doesn't, we're not Future Tech. But you do have one well-placed comment. Yes, it was a bad idea to write 'Criminals and others. Maybe just criminal? But aside from the potentially horrid writing, what about the actual reason? Do you want to repeal the law?
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 am

Mojave wrote: So the fact that torture works is why it's banned? One reason to legalize it is because it is very effective and works yet now we can't use it. And if you haven't noticed, many proposals/resolutions applaud or praise the good intentions of the law they want to repeal, because it wouldn't make sense voting in a law that does something bad. We just want permission to use an effective way of interrogation. And also, I really don't know if a 'Truth Serum' actually exists. And if it doesn't, we're not Future Tech. But you do have one well-placed comment. Yes, it was a bad idea to write 'Criminals and others. Maybe just criminal? But aside from the potentially horrid writing, what about the actual reason? Do you want to repeal the law?

Did you even understand an ounce of what I said?

Anyone, under torture, would give in regardless of their innocence. It is simply because, torture is actually highly effective at breaking the subject's mental strength, and repeated suggestions under torture would, under any and all circumstances, provide you with what the subject thinks you want, if it means stopping the torture. And that includes giving you false positives. Did I make myself clear?

Torture, as was pointed out in the very resolution that you're trying to repeal, is very good for getting what the subject thinks you want, not what you need. We would suggest that you review your judicial and criminal justice system before attempting a repeal of such a basic human right to not be dehumanized.
Last edited by The Akashic Records on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Mojave
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 am

Different forms of torture mean different forms of extracting information. Torture has worked in the past, and you don't want it legalized because you think it does nothing. It's not like we torture everyone.
My political compass:
1. It's all over
2. Being Invaded
[3]. Military Decimated
4. Losing Slightly
5. Winning/Steady
6. Peacetime

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 am

Mojave wrote:Different forms of torture mean different forms of extracting information. Torture has worked in the past, and you don't want it legalized because you think it does nothing. It's not like we torture everyone.

:palm:
I'm not saying it does nothing. I'm saying it does something wrong. It will, give you false positives, and that's more than enough reason to be AGAINST this repeal, period. Again, we would suggest that you actually contemplate what torture does, and its effects and consequences, instead of spouting nonsense about how torture is effective.

We are of the opinion that you have never experienced torture before, and as such, would recommend that you experience it, while being accused of a crime that you did not do, while repeatedly being told to 'confess to your crimes and it will be over'. We will await the results of such an experience, should you fail to perform a thought experiment, of how torture actually works.

P.S. We are trying to help, and so are those who you have insulted previously. We would also recommend that you understand what they're trying to say, instead of barging in here and acting like you own the place.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 am

Mojave wrote:Different forms of torture mean different forms of extracting information. Torture has worked in the past, and you don't want it legalized because you think it does nothing. It's not like we torture everyone.

worst argument ever.

Not Ta'veren

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 am

Grays Harbor wrote:

worst argument ever.

Isn't it the very same argument that everyone who wanted to repeal this made? While they are enchanted by the idea of torturing people, they have never really thought of what torture does to people. The simple fact that they're trying to repeal Prevention of Torture is proof enough.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly