NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: Secular Public Education Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maerngau
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Proposal: Secular Public Education Act

Postby Maerngau » Sat May 09, 2009 6:19 am

Philimbesi wrote:Short of opposing any attempt to dictate what any nation can or can teach in their schools... no I have no suggestions.

We believe education is not something that we can regulate from here it should be left up to the nation to decide the topics that are taught and how those topics are taught.

Nigel S Youlkin
WA Ambassador

Agreed.
Half Zandorff
Undersecretary for WA Relations
Grand Duchy of Maerngau
Factbook of the Grand Duchy of Maerngau

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 am

I think I'll keep my Baptist nurseries and Catholic schools running.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Collinstan
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Collinstan » Tue May 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Imperial Collinstan while not a member of the WA would like to state her belief that the WA has no right to impose pure secularism or "separation of church and state" on any member nations. This proposal is clearly an attempt to impose highly secular views on nations which is unacceptable for a large number of reasons.

Yrjar
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Yrjar » Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 pm

The theory that WA even want this law, is shocking. What the people of my kingdom does, should not concearn the whole world if not we break the ethical and human laws. Therefore, so long Yrjar has a statereligion, I would presume a change of this law, if it even gets through. What will be the next thing, all must be atheist?

Ambassador Thom Quei
Last edited by Yrjar on Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed May 13, 2009 7:24 am

Collinstan wrote:Imperial Collinstan while not a member of the WA would like to state her belief that the WA has no right to impose pure secularism or "separation of church and state" on any member nations. This proposal is clearly an attempt to impose highly secular views on nations which is unacceptable for a large number of reasons.

Then I have good news for you, if the WA were to do such a thing it would effectively ban theocracies from the WA which constitutes an idealogical ban and is illegal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun May 17, 2009 1:37 pm

I am the writer of this proposal and it isn't until now that I realized that there is a forum page for it! But there's no chance of me resubmitting it; the second time I resubmitted it, a mod deleted it and gave me a warning about it having a sectarian purpose. *Sigh. But maybe I'll change the wording drastically and then perchance they'll let it slide.

By the way, I don't believe I'm an angsting adolescent who hates his or her parents and religion itself. Even if I was, what kind of teenager would write a resolution and try to word it so that it is diplomatic and viable? Most, I would think, would simply say "God stinks (I hesitate to use a stronger word for I'm not familiar with the language rules of the forum). Deal with it." That, I think, is not what is going on here.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun May 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Even if I was, what kind of teenager would write a resolution and try to word it so that it is diplomatic and viable? Most, I would think, would simply say "God stinks (I hesitate to use a stronger word for I'm not familiar with the language rules of the forum). Deal with it." That, I think, is not what is going on here.

Welcome to the Supreme Snake Pit, the World Assembly.

Time to think differently. People will put words in your mouth and curse you until your seventh generation before you even notice.

Maybe you should not bother in such a pursuit, for the W.A. is proving by the day to be anti-science; biased, at least.

"Oh, but science is never banned!" - Some will rush to say.

But missionaries from every religion have full freedom to shower every single nation with missionaries, overt or covert, and are increasingly successful in brainwashing an ever greater share of the World's population, not rarely overthrowing very sensible secular or different-religion governments, and then taking over the schools, first thing.

But a little science in schools? Aaaawww no. BIG no. You can go to hell, in fact. And the theocrats will make everything in and beyond their powers to make you believe one exists. They may even make you live in it before you die.

But don't worry. The W.A. is of no help.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Sigma Dome
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Sigma Dome » Sun May 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:But missionaries from every religion have full freedom to shower every single nation with missionaries, overt or covert, and are increasingly successful in brainwashing an ever greater share of the World's population, not rarely overthrowing very sensible secular or different-religion governments, and then taking over the schools, first thing.

Do they now? That's funny, I don't see many if any in Talyca, aside from the usual "come to our church!" flyers dotting the residential areas. Maybe you shouldn't presume to speak for every nation, because amazingly enough some do exercise national sovereignty and there is nothing in international law stating that a nation can't ban foreign missionaries. It's certainly more difficult to censure citizens, but merely blocking foreigners as your own nation has the right to do will end a lot of tat.

You can admit you hate religion and are waging war on its existence through the WA - it would not make you look bad to admit it as you are blatant about it anyways. There's nothing saying we can't teach science in schools - hell, in Talyca we tend to front-load physics and the ilk seeing that until quite recently we were very literally a nomadic space fleet - and to be quite honest you are edging into extremism yourself with your blather about brainwashing. You really think there are that many fundamentalist nations out there all waiting for your internal controls to fall, and for that you get your hand in my pie?

I do vote against most of your stuff, but it's more because I would rather trust our own scientific opinion rather than that of a militant atheist attempting to push a 'pro-science' agenda at the expense of the very process he holds dear.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun May 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Even if I was, what kind of teenager would write a resolution and try to word it so that it is diplomatic and viable? Most, I would think, would simply say "God stinks (I hesitate to use a stronger word for I'm not familiar with the language rules of the forum). Deal with it." That, I think, is not what is going on here.

Time to think differently. People will put words in your mouth and curse you until your seventh generation before you even notice.

Maybe you should not bother in such a pursuit, for the W.A. is proving by the day to be anti-science; biased, at least.

But missionaries from every religion have full freedom to shower every single nation with missionaries, overt or covert, and are increasingly successful in brainwashing an ever greater share of the World's population, not rarely overthrowing very sensible secular or different-religion governments, and then taking over the schools, first thing.

But a little science in schools? Aaaawww no. BIG no. You can go to hell, in fact. And the theocrats will make everything in and beyond their powers to make you believe one exists. They may even make you live in it before you die.

You know, I see your lips moving but all I hear is, "Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa."

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon May 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

You know, I see your lips moving but all I hear is, "Whaaa, whaaa, whaaa."

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Way to be diplomatic Mr. Fibble. It's too bad so many of you share the view that some WA members' goals are to exterminate religion and convert everybody to atheism. This is irrational and unfounded. If you read both of our proposals, you will see it does no such thing, but broadens a child's capability to get the education he or she desires. The banning of religion would be illogical not only because it is morally wrong, but it would create a massive brain drain just like what happened when the Moors were expelled from Castilla in the early Spanish kingdom. If religion were made illegal, naturally there would be those who would want, and rightfully so, to break the law. I would assume if this were law there would in some form be an inquisition that works to eliminate those who practice religion. What happens to those? According to history, they would either be put in the slammer or had been decapitated. There goes those new ideas regarding politics, philosophy, the arts, etc. RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN. There are many more points that I could make but I'll keep this as brief as I can. Bottom line, WA=Tolerant towards all religions and philosophies.

You may also want to check my revised version of the proposal. I changed it so it can be even more tolerant and somewhat less infringent upon a NationState's national sovereignty.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 pm

I have to learn to quote in a way that doesn't take up have the screen space...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Tue May 19, 2009 9:50 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

this is not a universal experience honoured Ambassador.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Maybe you should not bother in such a pursuit, for the W.A. is proving by the day to be anti-science; biased, at least.

This is a petulant lie.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:But missionaries from every religion have full freedom to shower every single nation with missionaries, overt or covert, and are increasingly successful in brainwashing an ever greater share of the World's population, not rarely overthrowing very sensible secular or different-religion governments, and then taking over the schools, first thing.

We have national laws banning proselytizing, perhaps the honoured Ambassador's government should introduce some and perhaps they will not face this evil tide of marauding missionaries they fear so much.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:But a little science in schools? Aaaawww no. BIG no. You can go to hell, in fact. And the theocrats will make everything in and beyond their powers to make you believe one exists. They may even make you live in it before you die.

How many member nations of this organisation is the honoured Ambassador aware of which do not teach science ? We do, we have national laws regarding these things perhaps the honoured Ambassador's government is unaware that many other governments are in fact perfectly capable of governing their own countries. How many "theocrats" has the honoured Ambassador actually spoken with about their campaign to force their own foolish education policies on the entire w.a. ? Few enough we suspect.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:But don't worry. The W.A. is of no help.

Again this is a petulant lie.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly