NATION

PASSWORD

need help with this appeal to make it legeal

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tsumii
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsumii » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"
Understanding that WA members are outnumbered.
Also noticing the fact that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members. Understands that WA members need to protect themselves.

APPALLED that WA members would CONSIDER the use of weapons of mass destruction against ANY NATION, member or non member.
DISGUSTED that there is no regulation of what the targets can and cannot be.
WORRIED that there is not any regulation on how the weapons of mass destruction can be handled or how many weapons of mass destruction that any nation can have.
BEFORE we consider the making or possession of weapons of mass destruction, I believe we need to talk things out with the non members and create treaties with them.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:16 am

Should my nation become embroiled in war, we shall use whatever means neccessary to emerge victorious.

There is no need for the WA to mandate targets for nations at war.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:51 am

Yes, you need some serious help with that. Step one might be saying why the law should be Repealed. Right now, you more have a preamble for a law banning weapons of mass destruction.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Tsumii
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsumii » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:00 am

can you give me any pointers on how to do that? maybe i can turn this first idea for the appeal into a resolution later on... by the way can we use real life pictures in our appeals?

thank you,
Tsumi Ookami

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:28 am

Tsumii wrote:by the way can we use real life pictures in our appeals?

You can't have a real life anything in any proposal.
WA Delegate of One Big Island, a region where resolutions are read in full and thought about before we vote.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 am

Tsumii wrote:can you give me any pointers on how to do that? maybe i can turn this first idea for the appeal into a resolution later on... by the way can we use real life pictures in our appeals?

thank you,
Tsumi Ookami

OOC:

First off: the word is 'repeal'. Just a note for the future :)

Second off: No, you can't use images in any WA proposals. If you consider an image important for people to see, you can post it here in the forum, but don't overdo it, or it may well be judged 'picspam'.

Third: Your text, so far, talks about 'weapons of mass destruction'. However, you are intending to repeal a resolution specifically concerned with nuclear arms. You should likewise focus on those, for clarity's sake. Keep in mind that the GA has banned the use of biological weapons.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

The Altani Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Federation » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 am

APPALLED at the tendency some of our WA brethren have to insist on attempts to hinder our right to national defense, which is an inherent right of all nations and peoples;

WORRIED that this could lead to further legislation that would prevent the Altani Federation from using any and all means at its disposal to defeat an aggressor, as we damn well would, and political correctness be damned;

DECLINES to support legislation like this, no matter how much it is refined.

-Arjel Khazaran, Deputy Ambassador and Military Liaison
The Associated Sovereign Nations of the Altani Federation
Many lands, many peoples, one Federation.

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:20 am

The fundamental form of a repeal is straightforward; one lists one's reasons for wishing to repeal the proposal, then rounds off by actually repealing it. Thus:

BELIEVING such-and-such to be a bad thing,

CONCERNED that something else undesirable is happening,

PADDING it out a bit purely for the purposes of example,

HEREBY REPEALS whichever resolution it was.

The exact form of words is entirely a matter of personal taste. We are regularly accused, with some justification, of being long-winded and utilising stylised language, and we would hate the respected ambassador to gain the impression that, for example, he had to use the word "hereby" or capitalise the first word of each clause. The only absolutes are that one must actually repeal at some point, and one mustn't do anything else that might be considered law-making.

The difficult part of a repeal is making one's list of reasons convincing and compelling, and on that score we can only wish the respected ambassador good luck.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 am

A feel the need to point out a few flaws in what appears to be your reasoning for wanting the NAPA repealed.
Tsumii wrote:APPALLED that WA members would CONSIDER the use of weapons of mass destruction against ANY NATION, member or non member.
So ban the use of nuclear weapons, the NAPA can't stop you from doing that.
Tsumii wrote:DISGUSTED that there is no regulation of what the targets can and cannot be.
So establish regulations on what you can target with nuclear weapons. Once again the NAPA doesn't cover that.
Tsumii wrote:WORRIED that there is not any regulation on how the weapons of mass destruction can be handled or how many weapons of mass destruction that any nation can have.
Again the NAPA doesn't cover this, so you're free to write a resolution that does.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 am

Ainocra will not in the intrests of national security support this resolution.
We are a small nation and are protected from larger agressive nations only by our second strike capability.

Hairballistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairballistan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:49 am

Tsumii wrote:BEFORE we consider the making or possession of weapons of mass destruction, I believe we need to talk things out with the non members and create treaties with them.
Speaking as the official spokesperson of Hairballistan, I submit that Hairballistan is willing to consider a non-aggression treaty with any nation that is willing will share it's WMD technology with Hairballistan.
Last edited by Hairballistan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tsukasa-chan
Secretary

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsukasa-chan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:15 am

I am in agreement with The Rogue Nation of Flibbleites; the current resolution does not require any nation to have nuclear weapons, and if a given nation has moral qualms about using them they can simply choose not to. In light of this, I cannot grant you my support.

Rin 4
International Ambassador
The Incorporated States of Tsukasa-chan
“Mochi goes whee!”
The Community of Mochi Ambassadors is the wholly owned WA agent for the ISTc.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:10 am

Hairballistan wrote:
Tsumii wrote:BEFORE we consider the making or possession of weapons of mass destruction, I believe we need to talk things out with the non members and create treaties with them.
Speaking as the official spokesperson of Hairballistan, I submit that Hairballistan is willing to consider a non-aggression treaty with any nation that is willing will share it's WMD technology with Hairballistan.

Good luck with that old boy. However, if you should succede in your efforts to gain nukes, my nation will be quite willing to sell you an excelent delivery systen. THe M65 Atomic Cannon, fondly known as Annie, by its admirers. She's a thing of true beauty, old bean. And owning one or two will make you the envy of any psycopathic dictatorship in your region.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

<Disclaimer:this has not been a paid advertisement from Imperial Palentine Amalgamated Arms. The Senator has recieved no fiduciary compensation for his testimony. :p >
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:48 am

Hairballistan wrote:Speaking as the official spokesperson of Hairballistan, I submit that Hairballistan is willing to consider a non-aggression treaty with any nation that is willing will share it's WMD technology with Hairballistan.

I would caution the good ambassador from Hairballistan that they might wish to further describe the method they wish other nations to share their WMD technology. There are many languages and share means many different things.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Philimbesi wrote:
Hairballistan wrote:Speaking as the official spokesperson of Hairballistan, I submit that Hairballistan is willing to consider a non-aggression treaty with any nation that is willing will share it's WMD technology with Hairballistan.

I would caution the good ambassador from Hairballistan that they might wish to further describe the method they wish other nations to share their WMD technology. There are many languages and share means many different things.

"Lansio Bae 7, 8,11 a 12 ar agor, GIF"

"Rhowch Cod lansio"

"Aye Aye, Syr"

"Paratoi ar gyfer Lansio."

"Aros, Syr. Rydym wedi derbyn 'dal' cod o'r Pencadlys Fflyd."

translation:
"Launch Bays 7, 8,11 and 12 open, Skipper"

"Enter launch Codes"

"Aye aye, Sir"

"Prepare for Launch."

"Wait, Sir. We have recieved a 'hold' code from Fleet Headquarters."

Now why did you want to go and point that out to him? The GHS Prince, one of our SLBM boats, had launch codes all prepped and ready in order to "share" a couple of our Cheron MIRVed missiles with them. The squints were all ready with their instruments to record the data for further study, too.

hmmpf.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Tsukasa-chan
Secretary

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsukasa-chan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 am

Spoilsport. I was looking forward to watching the fireworks.

Rin 4
International Ambassador

On behalf of the Schadenfreude and JKLOL Directorates, Commission for the Implementation of Humour.
The Incorporated States of Tsukasa-chan
“Mochi goes whee!”
The Community of Mochi Ambassadors is the wholly owned WA agent for the ISTc.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly