NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal on Rescriction on child labor draft.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Repeal on Rescriction on child labor draft.

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 pm

I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

The World Assembly;

UNDERSTANDING that some nations may wish to employ children while they are young

NOTING that a minor definition in resolution can allow member nation to evade this law because of it's flexibility in the age.

BELIEVING that this is unacceptable.

FURTHER BELIEVING that a better law should be passed that is stricter, and does not allow nation to evade the Resolution by lowering the age of majority.

HEREBY, repeals GA Resolution 4, Restriction on Child Labor, in the hope that a better resolution can be passed.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:12 am

The honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg feels that the age of majority is the age level of best fit, because that is when they become an adult. Of course it has to be flexible because some define it as 21 or 18. Sadly, nothing is completely fail-safe, especially when member states have differing ages of majority.

Yours etc,

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 am

Can you please provide a number or a link to the resolution you're trying to repeal?
I have serious doubts this resolution was written in a way that would allow a nation to use a loophole.

(Note:The Magic Spirit does not believe in a complete ban on child labor. Technically any work done for which a child earns money can be considered child labor. Children too have wishes and sometimes need money to buy the things they wish. We feel earning money teaches our youngster independence they wouldn't gain if they simply got money from their parents and it also prepares them for the real world. Of course, there should be restrictions, no dangerous work (mines, fireworks, etc), no sexual exploitation...

The Magic Spirit values performance arts and it should be no surprise that many of our children take part in paid performances in one of our many theathers. Also, we've seen nations were children were not paid for their work. This way the nation in question could call the labor "work experience". We feel that paying children for their efforts is infinitely better than making them work for nothing, so we wish to promote the possibility of work opportunities for children. A national study showed that 80% of the questioned children enjoyed performing. Why take away something they like, just because it is work?)

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:17 am

James Bluntus wrote:FURTHER BELIEVING that a better law should be passed that is stricter, and does not allow nation to evade the Resolution by lowering the age of majority.

What about nations with ages of majority that are already low (it's 15 in New Olwe.)? Will we be grandfathered in, or will this proposal be attacking cultures that allow teens more freedom? Also, what about the many nations that follow Jewish law and confer adult status on citizens at age 13? We cannot support this proposal if it will force us to change our existing laws.
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Return to General Assembly