NATION

PASSWORD

GA Proposal: PROTECT CIVILIANS IN CONFLICTS

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bassein
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

GA Proposal: PROTECT CIVILIANS IN CONFLICTS

Postby Bassein » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Though this is The People's republic of Bassein's first Draft Resolution, it believes that such a commitment towards protection of Civilians in Armed Conflicts is extremely important for the sustainable development of the world.

Proposed by: The People's Republic of Bassein

Category: Human Rights

Strength: Significant

http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_proposal/council=1/start=15

The General Assembly reaffirms its commitment to the full and effective implementation of all its resolutions and thereby puts forth a significnt pressing proposal in the good of all civilians across the world,

The General Assembly remains committed to addressing the impact of armed conflict on civilians,

The Assembly expresses its deepest concern that civilians continue to account for the majority of victims of acts of violence committed by parties to armed conflicts, including as a result of deliberate targeting, indiscriminate and excessive use of force and of sexual and gender based violence,and thereby

1. CONDEMNS all violations of international law, including international humanitarian law, human rights law and refugee law committed against civilians in situations of armed conflict;

2. DEMANDS that all relevant parties immediately put an end to such practices;

3. REAFFIRMS in this regard that parties to armed conflict bear the primary responsibility to take all feasible steps to ensure the protection of affected civilians, in particular giving attention to the specific needs of women and children;

4. REITERATES the responsibility of states to comply with their relevant obligations to end impunity and to prosecute those responsible for war crimes, genocide, crimes against humanity and serious violations of international humanitarian law;

5. UNDERLINES the importance of safe and unhindered access of humanitarian personnel to provide assistance to civilians in armed conflict in accordance with international law, and stresses the importance,within the framework of humanitarian assistance, of upholding and respecting the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence;

6. RECOGNIZES the increasingly valuable role that regional organisations and other intergovernmental institutions play in the protection of civilians, and encourages the Secretary-General and the heads of regional and other intergovernmental organisations to continue their efforts to strengthen their partnership in this regard;

7. CALLS UPON all nations to adhere to the International Human Rights Charter and thereby work progressively towards this cause.

Bassein aims at receiving majority support for this proposal so that it becomes stringent in mjnds of all the warring nations that civilian protection is the foremost priority. Amen.
Last edited by Bassein on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bassein
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bassein » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I welcome the valued suggestions and criticisms of all our member nations.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 pm

The only way to "protect" civilians completely in a conflict is to not have one.

To address a specific concern, having "complete and unhindered access" for humanitarian aid invites abuse, as we can imagine many nations taking advantage of this provision to smuggle arms, explosives and soldiers/insurgents past enemy lines and into the enemy's rear area. By granting such a blanket immunity to anybody claiming to be "humanitarian" is to invite such abuses. Anybody and anything in a combat zone should be liable to inspection and verification at the very least.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:50 am

Bassein wrote:3. REAFFIRMS in this regard that parties to armed conflict bear the primary responsibility to take all feasible steps to ensure the protection of affected civilians, in particular giving attention to the specific needs of women and children;

That's sexist. I'm not saying that men are more important than women or children, but women and children certainly shouldn't be given any more importance than men either.

5. UNDERLINES the importance of safe and unhindered access of humanitarian personnel to provide assistance to civilians in armed conflict in accordance with international law, and stresses the importance,within the framework of humanitarian assistance, of upholding and respecting the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence;

Our friends from Grays Harbor already pointed out why this is unworkable.

Amen.

There was no need to put that at the end of your resolution. To non-Christians it's offensive.
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:08 am

Bassein wrote:7. CALLS UPON all nations to adhere to the International Human Rights Charter and thereby work progressively towards this cause.

"And what 'International Human Rights Charter' would that be?"?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 am

I'm puzzled as to why you call this a draft when you've already submitted it for approval.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 am

We are puzzled as to what this proposal does that merits a Significant strength. It condemns practices that are already illegal, makes them illegal again, repeats that nations should obey international law just in case we hadn't heard the previous two occasions, and attempts to interest us in a charter whose existence we had not previously been aware of. We are struggling to find enough that it actually does to make this worthy of Mild strength, to be completely honest.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am

Gobbannium wrote:We are puzzled as to what this proposal does that merits a Significant strength. It condemns practices that are already illegal, makes them illegal again, repeats that nations should obey international law just in case we hadn't heard the previous two occasions, and attempts to interest us in a charter whose existence we had not previously been aware of. We are struggling to find enough that it actually does to make this worthy of Mild strength, to be completely honest.

His Majesty and the entire Cabinet have requested I pass along to you that they are quite amused by your description of this proposal, and have determined that they like your style.

Not Ta'veren

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Gobbannium wrote:We are puzzled as to what this proposal does that merits a Significant strength. It condemns practices that are already illegal, makes them illegal again, repeats that nations should obey international law just in case we hadn't heard the previous two occasions, and attempts to interest us in a charter whose existence we had not previously been aware of. We are struggling to find enough that it actually does to make this worthy of Mild strength, to be completely honest.

His Majesty and the entire Cabinet have requested I pass along to you that they are quite amused by your description of this proposal, and have determined that they like your style.

The Grand Duke of New Olwe and his entire Cabinet concur with the sentiments of Grays Harbor. That was forking awesome.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:43 pm

Honoured ambassador to The People's Republic of Bassein,

I don't how to say about this, but we have already a resolution on (already defined) humanitarian aid, refugees, neutrality of states, banning of torture, banning of landmines, civil rights. and so on... yet war is still completely unavoidable no matter how hard we try to promote world peace

However, we do have C&Cs and Liberations for the militants.

Yours etc,

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 am

New Olwe wrote:
Amen.

There was no need to put that at the end of your resolution. To non-Christians it's offensive.
"So be it" is offensive?
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

New Olwe
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:55 am

The Most Glorious Hack wrote:"So be it" is offensive?

When it's stated as "Amen" it is, since that's a word associated with Christianity. Is that really what that means, BTW?

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:04 am

New Olwe wrote:
The Most Glorious Hack wrote:"So be it" is offensive?

When it's stated as "Amen" it is, since that's a word associated with Christianity. Is that really what that means, BTW?

OOC: Yes. It's derived from the word for certainty I believe, which is why the Good News Bible uses it where older translations prefer "Verily, verily". Irish readers may be amused to note that "To be sure, to be sure," is just as valid a translation.

IC: Speaking as a nominal devotee of Strict Druidism, we personally find it hard to take offense at formal patterns of speech. We suggest that respected ambassador regard it as the affectation it is, and cease wasting energy in seeking things to be offended at.

Name Unavailable
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Problems with the resolution

Postby Name Unavailable » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 pm

It would impossible to not harm citizens in any type of full-blown war. Despite the hardships placed on a country due to a war, there is also the fact that many types of warfare involve using weapons that cause great damage. Also both invaders and defenders of all types throughout history have been known to use the locals as sheilds, hostages, etc., and many fortifications and bases during wartime are resident in civilian homes as well as near heavily populated areas.

A good proposistion, but not one that will be effective.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Name Unavailable wrote:It would impossible to not harm citizens in any type of full-blown war. Despite the hardships placed on a country due to a war, there is also the fact that many types of warfare involve using weapons that cause great damage. Also both invaders and defenders of all types throughout history have been known to use the locals as sheilds, hostages, etc., and many fortifications and bases during wartime are resident in civilian homes as well as near heavily populated areas.

I'm curious if this could be considered a grave-dig. Perhaps not...
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Name Unavailable wrote:It would impossible to not harm citizens in any type of full-blown war. Despite the hardships placed on a country due to a war, there is also the fact that many types of warfare involve using weapons that cause great damage. Also both invaders and defenders of all types throughout history have been known to use the locals as sheilds, hostages, etc., and many fortifications and bases during wartime are resident in civilian homes as well as near heavily populated areas.

I'm curious if this could be considered a grave-dig. Perhaps not...

OOC - 5 days between posts is not, in my opinion, a "gravedig". 5 weeks, yeas, but less than a week? Not hardly.

Not Ta'veren

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Why do civvies always get caught up and killed in war, don't they know how/when to leave?
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 pm

OP: I'm fairly certain that you cannot reference UN resolutions in your proposal.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly