NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]Democratic Privatisation of Gov. Assets

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: [Draft]Democratic Privatisation of Gov. Assets

Postby Kelssek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 am

Regrettably, we see a lot of tossing about of dubious generalisations. Kelssek is a nation which enjoys the merits of state enterprises and public ownership and sees them greatly outweighing the drawbacks, but this has a great deal to do with how we actually run them as well as our own culture and society. We are very much aware that in many places public companies have incompetent management, waste, corruption and undue interference for political ends, just as we are aware that many private capitalist businesses are not simply out to gouge the customers and exploit their workers for maximum profit. Such things simply are unusual from our perspective, just as they may be for yours.

With that said,
RECOGNISES that privatisation causes higher prices, reduced job opportunities and less reliabilty in the industry that is privatised.

is a problem. Privatisation can cause that to happen, for instance, privatising a government monopoly and not properly regulating it is a good way it can happen, as that company goes on to take advantage of the monopoly by raising prices and "cost-cutting" in the form of layoffs and reduction of services. At the same time, many governments also maintain strict price controls and/or regulation on the privatised business, which helps to reduce those effects. So you can't make it a statement like that, because it isn't necessarily true, in the same way as
Efficiancy, competition, profits, and increased jobs comes from the private sector. Of course they are much more risky, but greater risk equal greater rewards. Govermnent run business, by their very nature, are inefficient, heavily subsidized,fail to make a profit, and cannot compete in the free market

is a very poor and basically incorrect generalisation likely based on limited (or selective) experience with public and private companies.

The point of this, however, is not to say "we're both right, so let's be friends", but to illustrate that the very premise of the proposal falls flat. Poor outcomes do not result simply because a particulary industry or company is private or public, more often it is the specifics of the situation, such as management, economic situations, overall government policies, regulation or lack thereof, social factors, etc. - specifics which I do not believe the WA could reasonably deal with in a resolution, if it even should at all.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Kelssek wrote:Regrettably, we see a lot of tossing about of dubious generalisations. Kelssek is a nation which enjoys the merits of state enterprises and public ownership and sees them greatly outweighing the drawbacks, but this has a great deal to do with how we actually run them as well as our own culture and society. We are very much aware that in many places public companies have incompetent management, waste, corruption and undue interference for political ends, just as we are aware that many private capitalist businesses are not simply out to gouge the customers and exploit their workers for maximum profit. Such things simply are unusual from our perspective, just as they may be for yours.

With that said,
RECOGNISES that privatisation causes higher prices, reduced job opportunities and less reliabilty in the industry that is privatised.

is a problem. Privatisation can cause that to happen, for instance, privatising a government monopoly and not properly regulating it is a good way it can happen, as that company goes on to take advantage of the monopoly by raising prices and "cost-cutting" in the form of layoffs and reduction of services. At the same time, many governments also maintain strict price controls and/or regulation on the privatised business, which helps to reduce those effects. So you can't make it a statement like that, because it isn't necessarily true, in the same way as
Efficiancy, competition, profits, and increased jobs comes from the private sector. Of course they are much more risky, but greater risk equal greater rewards. Govermnent run business, by their very nature, are inefficient, heavily subsidized,fail to make a profit, and cannot compete in the free market

is a very poor and basically incorrect generalisation likely based on limited (or selective) experience with public and private companies.

The point of this, however, is not to say "we're both right, so let's be friends", but to illustrate that the very premise of the proposal falls flat. Poor outcomes do not result simply because a particulary industry or company is private or public, more often it is the specifics of the situation, such as management, economic situations, overall government policies, regulation or lack thereof, social factors, etc. - specifics which I do not believe the WA could reasonably deal with in a resolution, if it even should at all.

Forgive me, but I must ask you what you mean by this.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Public companies aren't inherently good. Private companies aren't inherently bad. Perhaps they might tend to be good or bad, but circumstances may differ. Simple enough?

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Kelssek wrote:Public companies aren't inherently good. Private companies aren't inherently bad. Perhaps they might tend to be good or bad, but circumstances may differ. Simple enough?

Sorry. I don't mean to be a pain but I am having a little trouble figuring out where you stand on this proposal and if you want any changes. For or against?
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:56 pm

I am against the implementation of this sort of provision upon member nations with no regard for their actual socioeconomic circumstances, and I don't believe you could change my mind by making amendments to it. Same with your education proposal, incidentally.

James Bluntus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Kelssek wrote:I am against the implementation of this sort of provision upon member nations with no regard for their actual socioeconomic circumstances, and I don't believe you could change my mind by making amendments to it. Same with your education proposal, incidentally.

Can you make a comment on my education proposal that will help me understand why you are against it. Thanks. I am willing to nogotiate.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 am

OOC: Communist economic strategies never work. China is screwed, (the biggest example) and the only drawback to some private economics is the occasional recession here, and there.

IC: The Malkovian eonomy is largely based on the privatization of many industries, while some industries are publicly owned. Therefore, we oppose this to the fullest.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly