NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: Repeal "Stem Cells For Greater Health"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

SUBMITTED: Repeal "Stem Cells For Greater Health"

Postby Krioval » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:47 pm

The Imperial Chiefdom would like to consider a repeal effort targeting "Stem Cells For Greater Health". We will first quote the resolution in question and explain our objections, and then, we will provide a provisional draft of a repeal. Krioval would be open to a replacement resolution only if it deals with biomedical research on a larger scale than a single technology.

Stem Cells For Greater Health

Description: To the Peoples of the World Assembled,

NOTING the significant value of the use of stem cells in medical research and the untapped potential that those cells can provide,

ALARMED at the number of diseases and other injuries going either without treatment or with inadequate treatment due to the nature of said ailment,

EMPHASIZING the need to Guarantee the right of Nations to research and develop stem cell related cures, treatments, and a Patient’s right to use Stem Cell therapies.

1) GUARANTEES the right of Doctors to engage in Stem Cell research should they so choose.

2) SOLEMNLY AFFIRMS that no Doctors or Medical Institutions can be held liable if they choose not use Stem Cell-related treatments if it violates their own personal values and/or principles.

3) CREATES the Stem Cell and Alternative Treatment Research Office to the WHA. Their objective is to research and develop potential cures and medicines derived from Stem Cells to help combat the effects of illness and injury. They shall be attached to the Health Research and Development Division (HRDD). All breakthroughs and developments shall be published and put into the Public Domain.

4) AFFIRMS the right of Nations to decide the source of the Stem Cells they use for research and development. Also mandates that the Stem Cells must be harvested in the most humane and least destructive way possible.

5) ALLOWING for trade amongst Nations in Stem Cells of any kind including: Cells, Research Equipment, or Training. It shall be left to each National Government to determine compensation for any transaction completed. In the event of a dispute in this area of Trade, the HRDD shall have the authority to settle the dispute.

First, the Imperial Chiefdom feels that this resolution places too great an emphasis on one medical technology. If the WA is to step in and deal with biomedical research, it should be done in a systematic way that promotes any therapeutic agent shown to have strong efficacy in treating or curing disease. Stem cell technology, by itself, is just not important enough to warrant special attention by the WA.

Second, this resolution wants to appeal to all demographics simultaneously. It grants a "right" for nations to develop stem cell-based therapies, a "right" for doctors to engage in said therapies, but also allows medical professionals to withhold treatments based on their personal beliefs. In short, this resolution does nothing to address systemic inequalities in treatment procedures that may develop based on doctors' personal views. It sounds nice, but does practically nothing beneficial.

Third, this resolution forces all research to be released immediately into the public domain. Krioval has no major problems with this by itself, but this clause has the potential to discourage private researchers from engaging in potentially life-saving research because they will lose any financial benefit of that research. Also, the final clause strangely attempts to deal with the trade of this technology, and it does badly in its effort.

In short, this resolution looks like it does a great deal, but in reality, it does little of benefit. Thus, the Imperial Chiefdom submits the following legislation for review:

Repeal "Stem Cells For Greater Health"

NOTING the utility of biomedical research and the development of novel therapies to combat disease,

REALIZING the good intentions behind the resolution "Stem Cells For Greater Health",

NONETHELESS CONCERNED that the promotion of a single technology may not yield the strongest benefit to public health,

ALSO CONCERNED that patient access to potential therapies is not addressed in the legislation,

CONCLUDING that the resolution in question does little to improve the development or distribution of therapeutic agents under its own power,

REPEALS "Stem Cells for Greater Health"

Comments, critiques, and concerns are welcome, as always.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval
Last edited by Krioval on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Honoured ambassador to Krioval:

It would be a good idea for you to develop a replacement version first to see how better it can be, with the repeal in mind, and if the majority thinks the your version is better then you could proceed to make the repeal, then replacement.

Yours,

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Thank you for the insight. The Imperial Chiefdom is open to suggestions as to the contents of a replacement, though we would also like to determine whether there is any support to revisit the issue at all. We will begin working on a potential replacement, though our primary effort remains focused on the repeal.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:57 pm

I agree with Your Excellency on the points made about exempting doctors who have contrary personal beliefs and the public domain clauses. I am weary, however, that a replacement will not be drafted in a timely matter. In any case, a replacement should not attempt to address the entire field of biomedicine. There are unique moral and ethical questions that need to be answered for the various treatments and research found in that field of medicine.

[float=left]Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
[/float][float=right]Image[/float]

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I agree with Your Excellency on the points made about exempting doctors who have contrary personal beliefs and the public domain clauses. I am weary, however, that a replacement will not be drafted in a timely matter. In any case, a replacement should not attempt to address the entire field of biomedicine. There are unique moral and ethical questions that need to be answered for the various treatments and research found in that field of medicine.

The Imperial Chiefdom has every intention of doing something productive with the issue of biomedical research. We disagree that stem cell research needs to be singled out for special legislation, which Krioval feels could be better addressed as part of a comprehensive proposal. That said, we are open to suggestions, if the Commonwealth would like to begin a discussion on a possible replacement.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Krioval wrote:We disagree that stem cell research needs to be singled out for special legislation, which Krioval feels could be better addressed as part of a comprehensive proposal. That said, we are open to suggestions, if the Commonwealth would like to begin a discussion on a possible replacement.

Stem cell research has its own merits that need to be addressed, such as the use of embryonic stem cells. There are simply a plethora of bioethics issues that arise with various biomedicine fields, so much that I doubt they can be probably addressed in a single proposal.

For a replacement for this stem cell research resolution alone, I would suggest addressing the specific problems you have brought up, but also addressing the ethical issues with embryonic stem cell use. I don't have the time at the moment to discuss these things in great detail, but I will surely attempt to participate in the drafting sessions.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Zanzibarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzibarnia » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:14 pm

You must understand, Lord Ambassador, that, as the leaders of a proudly progressive nation, Zanzibarnia's High Council could not in good conscience support such a repeal without first seeing a replacement draft as a sign of faith that the issue of stem cell reasearch will not go unaddressed if such a repeal were to pass.

Yours,

Ambassador Armando Gillyweed Slippyfist

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Stem cell research has its own merits that need to be addressed, such as the use of embryonic stem cells. There are simply a plethora of bioethics issues that arise with various biomedicine fields, so much that I doubt they can be probably addressed in a single proposal.

For a replacement for this stem cell research resolution alone, I would suggest addressing the specific problems you have brought up, but also addressing the ethical issues with embryonic stem cell use. I don't have the time at the moment to discuss these things in great detail, but I will surely attempt to participate in the drafting sessions.

What exactly is the problem with embryonic stem cells? The "when does life begin?" question? Krioval is inclined to allow nations to determine whether they wish to allow the development of embryonic stem cells within their borders while allowing researchers to have access to cell lines generated in other nations. Maybe the animal handling aspects of research might need to be split off, as well as a proposal on informed consent for human experimental subjects, but we feel that the rest could be dealt with in a single proposal.

Zanzibarnia wrote:You must understand, Lord Ambassador, that, as the leaders of a proudly progressive nation, Zanzibarnia's High Council could not in good conscience support such a repeal without first seeing a replacement draft as a sign of faith that the issue of stem cell reasearch will not go unaddressed if such a repeal were to pass.

The Imperial Chiefdom is also a progressive nation, and we are committed to excellence in the sciences. We do not, and will not, support a ban or restriction on stem cell research in those nations willing to undertake that research. If Your Excellency has ideas for a potential draft, Krioval is interested in hearing them.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 am

Krioval wrote:What exactly is the problem with embryonic stem cells? The "when does life begin?" question? Krioval is inclined to allow nations to determine whether they wish to allow the development of embryonic stem cells within their borders while allowing researchers to have access to cell lines generated in other nations.

That is one of the problems, yes. I don't subscribe to that thought -- I support embryonic stem cell research. But we should at least address the ethical concerns, if only in the preamble. As for the latter part, I'm weary too of this turning in to a trade debate. Forcing nations to allow doctors to "have access to cell lines generated in other nations" is just another word for enforcing trade, and wanting to avoid a petty argument, I think it would just be best to not go down that road. I would likely support the full legalization of the use of all stem cells, anyways.

Krioval wrote:Maybe the animal handling aspects of research might need to be split off, as well as a proposal on informed consent for human experimental subjects, but we feel that the rest could be dealt with in a single proposal.

Where exactly are you planning on going with a replacement? Bioethics? Funding biomedical research? Simply correcting the few problems in the original resolution? Be careful to not take too big of a bite; you will only fail to write an excellent resolution.

Ambassador-at-Large,

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:12 am

You seem to have noble intentions, Your Excellency, but I too would like to see the replacement proposal before I would ever support a repeal. Especially since our nation just passed a law regarding Stem Cell Research. Our people could potentially be forced into changes we don't support, so I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:14 am

I think we're becoming a little sidetracked about the subject of replacement. A hypothetical resolution will never please everybody, and could damage the prospect for the repeal's success. Just focus on the original and its flaws.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:29 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I think we're becoming a little sidetracked about the subject of replacement. A hypothetical resolution will never please everybody, and could damage the prospect for the repeal's success. Just focus on the original and its flaws.

Agreed. For those most interested in drafting a replacement proposal, a new thread should be started to debate its language.

Are there any other ideas for improving the repeal proposal?

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:59 am

We feel that the repeal should make more of the fact that the proposal in no way guarantees patient access to stem cells therapy, a matter it lent considerable weight to in the preamble.

However, it must be said that if the repeal mentions an intent to replace the proposal with something more appropriate, we would not be willing to support the repeal until and unless such a replacement draft exists in plausible form. We have been bitten far too often by empty promises of this nature; either the (rather luke-warm) clause should be struck, or a replacement worked on here and now.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:36 pm

The Principality of Qumkent would support this repeal fully. There is already enough legislation promoting international best practice and development in medicine on this organisation's books. The statute in question focuses on a specific form of medicine which has in many nations been thoroughly surpassed and is a primitive anachronism.

Yours,
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Gobbannium wrote:We feel that the repeal should make more of the fact that the proposal in no way guarantees patient access to stem cells therapy, a matter it lent considerable weight to in the preamble.

However, it must be said that if the repeal mentions an intent to replace the proposal with something more appropriate, we would not be willing to support the repeal until and unless such a replacement draft exists in plausible form. We have been bitten far too often by empty promises of this nature; either the (rather luke-warm) clause should be struck, or a replacement worked on here and now.

We have added language about patient access and removed the clause dealing with a potential replacement. The Imperial Chiefdom is unclear on what would constitute a suitable replacement, and we may not be the best source for such legislation. Therefore, the repeal should stand on its own merits.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 pm

OOC: Well, it's been two days without comment, so I'll probably submit what I've got in the next couple of days - maybe on the weekend. That said, if anybody has something they'd like to add, please don't hold back.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 am

So far, I do not find any more problems with this repeal, although we would appear in favour for a more comprehensive replacement.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:So far, I do not find any more problems with this repeal, although we would appear in favour for a more comprehensive replacement.

Repeal authors are under no obligation whatsoever to offer a replacement of the legislation they are repealing. Let's not sidetrack the repeal discussion with talk of a hypothetical replacement.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Normally, I rarely comment with repeals, but this one raises a significant flaw in the original resolution. I support this repeal and, as many others have said, would like to see a suitable replacement. No pressure though.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 am

For the avoidance of doubt, we would gladly support the repeal in its current form.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Chocolatemouse
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chocolatemouse » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:07 pm

The Matriarchy agree with the great chiefdom.
The public releasing is in itself a problem as it would make private search being rare.
Military researches by definition secret, would become outlaw too.
The main problem that the matriarchy would like to point , is that all researchs are not good to be released publicly, some discoveries as how to develop invasives cancerous cells, or any degenerating cells results should stay secrets , in hope to not help rogues states or terrorists to develop biological weapons.
Making all research being public is yes a good dream, but we all know how is mankind, show it a discovery for healing, and soon some will use it as a terrible weapon.
Last edited by Chocolatemouse on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disturbing Images
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Disturbing Images » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Chocolatemouse wrote:The Matriarchy agree with the great chiefdom.
The public releasing is in itself a problem as it would make private search being rare.
The main problem that the matriarchy would like to point , is that all researchs are not good to be released publicly, some discoveries as how to develop invasives cancerous cells, or any degenerating cells results should stay secrets , in hope to not help rogues states or terrorists to develop biological weapons.
Making all research being public is yes a good dream, but we all know how is mankind, show it a discovery for healing, and soon some will use it as a terrible weapon.

Now look here you. Your support is malicious and incoherent. I suggest you drown yourself in a bucket.

Chocolatemouse
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chocolatemouse » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Disturbing Images wrote:

Now look here you. Your support is malicious and incoherent. I suggest you drown yourself in a bucket.

Incoherent ? How
Perhaps my not perfect english betrayed me? In such case before to bash someone you should first point the mistake and i see none.
Any help is welcome when it bring the answer.
Please there is a place for you in the bucket

Disturbing Images
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Disturbing Images » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Chocolatemouse wrote:
Disturbing Images wrote:

Incoherent ? How
Perhaps my not perfect english betrayed me? In such case before to bash someone you should first point the mistake and i see none.
Any help is welcome when it bring the answer.
Please there is a place for you in the bucket

Hah, your English is truly reprehensible. We may need a bigger bucket to fit your enormous head inside.

Chocolatemouse
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chocolatemouse » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:36 pm

[quote="Disturbing Images";p="825999Hah, your English is truly reprehensible. We may need a bigger bucket to fit your enormous head inside.[/quote]

Better to ignore you then as you bring nothing.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly