NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] World Heritage Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
WallachIX
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] World Heritage Act

Postby WallachIX » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 pm

DRAFT:
World Heritage Act

Strength: Significant - Strong
Category: Environmental

DEFINING...
[1] cultural resources as archaeological sites, artefacts, historic structures, and culturally sensitive landscapes;
[2] natural resources as land, water, soil, plants, and animals;
[3] World Heritage as the cultural and natural legacy of our ancestors and what we will leave for our descendants;
[4] Aboriginal Title as the common law interest in land established by indigenous groups -- requiring governments consultation with indigenous people when planning development;

ACKNOWLEDGING...
[1] the amazing biodiversity of our world;
[2] the significant achievement of our forebears;

RECOGNISING...
[1] the social, economic, historic, and scientific imperative of maintaining the integrity of the archaeological record and world ecosystems;
[2] that many nations lack policy regarding the management of cultural and natural resource and that this omission has led to damage and even destruction of them;

MANDATING...
[1] member nations introduce and enact laws prohibiting the looting, polluting, vandalism, and otherwise unnecessary damage of cultural and natural resources, especially those that are unique, significant, endemic, and/or endangered;
[2] member nations create policy requiring project developers to have Environmental Impact Assessments [from hence forth referred to as EIA's], minimally including but not necessarily limited to archaeological and geological surveys, conducted by qualified professionals;
[3] professionals conducting EIA's obtain government issued site permits;
[4] EIA reports are to be submitted by resource managers to the developers and regional or national governing authority for evaluation in a timely fashion prior to the execution of projects;
[5] member nations work to restore historical monuments and other heritage sites that have been damaged;
[6] member nations must engage in repatriation of grave goods, human remains, and items of cultural patrimony to their respective indigenous groups;

ENCOURAGING...
[1] member nations to acknowledge aboriginal title and land claims and establish an amicable dialogue with indigenous peoples within their borders;
[2] the creation of a World Heritage Organisation to develop a forum for discussing all facets of World Heritage including: helping members manage cultural and natural resources, establishing specific multilateral goals, improve conservation, research, and preservation efforts, obtain professional advice;

PROPOSING...
[1] member nations compile and evaluate a list of high profile heritage sites, with the goal of submitting those sites short listed to the World Heritage Organisation;
[2] the World Heritage Organisation create and publish a World Heritage Site list from the submissions of member nations, classifying them in terms of if they are natural, cultural, or both as well as threats to them, uniqueness, and sensitivity;

Last edited by WallachIX on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reverend Mother Superior Sihaya of WallachIX

Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask Why? Be cautious with How? Why? leads inexorably to paradox. How? traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite.
- Apochrypha of Arrakis

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

Wouldn't this idea be better suited for the Education and Creativity/Cultural Heritage category?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 am

Hey that is a pretty good start to the draft although we refer member states as... member states or member nations or member countries or similar, but it would also be a great idea that member states be encouraged to faithfully restore historical monuments as well.

PROPOSING...
[1] members enact laws prohibiting the looting, polluting, and otherwise unnecessary damage of cultural and natural resources, especially those that are unique, significant, endemic, and/or endangered;
[2] nations create policy requiring project developers to have Environmental Impact Assessments [from hence forth referred to as EIA's], including but not necessarily limited to archaeological and geological surveys, conducted by qualified professionals;
[3] professionals conducting EIA's obtain government issued site permits;
[4] EIA reports are to be submitted by resource managers to the developers and regional or national governing authority for evaluation in a timely fashion prior to the execution of projects;

This bit doesn't seem to hurt national sovereignty too bad at all, but the proposal should require member states to do something. In this case in part 1 you could consider something along the lines of:

REQUIRES member countries to introduce laws to ban looting, vandalism or deliberate damage to cultural and natural resources, especially those that are unique, significant, endemic, and/or endangered;

However, there would be a need to define what is a cultural or heritage site to make this clearer.

ENCOURAGING...
[1] members to acknowledge aboriginal title and land claims;
[2] the creation of a World Heritage Organisation to help members manage cultural and natural resources, establish specific multilateral goals, improve conservation and preservation efforts, etc;

The aboriginal title and land claims may be a bit too ambiguous and you may want to clarify the committee you are creating: maybe they can have a part in the EIAs.

Do keep in mind that in a large proposal member states must be mandated to do something although in mild effect proposals, "encourages" and "urges" will do.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

WallachIX
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby WallachIX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 am

thanks for the recommendations. :)

i've done a bit of editing for now, but will have to add some more later. i like your idea for restoring historical monuments and i was thinking of adding something regarding repatriation.

i didn't want to establish a particularly strict definition of a cultural or natural heritage site because i think there needs to be some fluidity to it. i could add maybe a bit about member nations having to justify their choices upon submission?

as far as aboriginal title a definition wouldn't hurt i suppose, but it's a fairly common idea, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_title

Aboriginal title is a common law property interest in land. It has been recognised in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, and increasingly in other common law countries as well, such as Malaysia and Nigeria[citation needed].

The requirements for establishing an aboriginal title to the land vary across countries, but generally speaking, the aboriginal claimant must establish (exclusive) aboriginal occupation from a long time ago, i.e. before the assertion of sovereignty, and continuity to the present day.

Aboriginal title can be extinguished by the Crown, but again, the requirement to do this varies by country. Some require the legislature to be explicit when it does this, others hold that extinguishment can be inferred from the government's treatment of the land...

Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask Why? Be cautious with How? Why? leads inexorably to paradox. How? traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite.
- Apochrypha of Arrakis

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:43 am

WallachIX wrote:DRAFT:
World Heritage Act

Strength: Significant - Strong
Category: Environmental
Effected Areas: Development, Forestry, Tourism, Parks & Recreation

OOC _ The rules don't let you choose "Development, Forestry, Parks & Recreation" as the area of effect for 'Environmental' proposals: this has to be either 'Car Manufacturing', 'Uranium Mining', 'Wood Chipping', or 'All Industries' (which it harms, rather than boosts as you seem to have assumed), instead... and 'All Industries' is very bad for nations' economies.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
REQUIRES member countries to introduce laws to ban looting, vandalism or deliberate damage to cultural and natural resources, especially those that are unique, significant, endemic, and/or endangered;

Maybe "to introduce and enforce laws [etc]"?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 am

WallachIX wrote:thanks for the recommendations. :)

i've done a bit of editing for now, but will have to add some more later. i like your idea for restoring historical monuments and i was thinking of adding something regarding repatriation.

i didn't want to establish a particularly strict definition of a cultural or natural heritage site because i think there needs to be some fluidity to it. i could add maybe a bit about member nations having to justify their choices upon submission?

as far as aboriginal title a definition wouldn't hurt i suppose, but it's a fairly common idea, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_title

Aboriginal title is a common law property interest in land. It has been recognised in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, and increasingly in other common law countries as well, such as Malaysia and Nigeria[citation needed].

The requirements for establishing an aboriginal title to the land vary across countries, but generally speaking, the aboriginal claimant must establish (exclusive) aboriginal occupation from a long time ago, i.e. before the assertion of sovereignty, and continuity to the present day.

Aboriginal title can be extinguished by the Crown, but again, the requirement to do this varies by country. Some require the legislature to be explicit when it does this, others hold that extinguishment can be inferred from the government's treatment of the land...
I'd opt for indigenous as opposed to aboriginal, as it has a slightly clearer implication.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am

Hirota wrote:I'd opt for indigenous as opposed to aboriginal, as it has a slightly clearer implication.

OOC: It's commonly referred to as 'Native Title' in Australia, since Aboriginal is a specific term, and there can also refer to claims by Torres Strait Islanders (the other major indigenous people of Australia).
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

Maybe "to introduce and enforce laws [etc]"?

Kind of forgot that for some unknown reason. Sorry. Yes, do take those on board as well.

[1] member nations to acknowledge aboriginal title and land claims and establish an amicable dialogue with indigenous peoples within their borders;

I would in my opinion, replace "aboriginal" with "tribal".

WallachIX
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby WallachIX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Hirota wrote:I'd opt for indigenous as opposed to aboriginal, as it has a slightly clearer implication.

they're fairly synonymous, no? what would be an example of an aboriginal group that was not indigenous?

- Apochrypha of Arrakis

WallachIX
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby WallachIX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
I would in my opinion, replace "aboriginal" with "tribal".

tribes are a specific social organisation that many indigenous groups do not fall within though.

- Apochrypha of Arrakis

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly