NATION

PASSWORD

Mutual Defence

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Mutual Defence

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:53 am

I'm considering drafting a mutual defence resolution (sort of like Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty), but I'd like to know if it'd be legal first. I'm aware of the "no WA army" rule, but this wouldn't seem to violate that as it doesn't actually assign the WA a military force; it merely sets expectations for the use of national militaries.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 am

It would be unreasonable, though, if not illegal. NationStates isn't shaped liked the real world, so WA members might even be lightyears away from each other. Not to mention that NATO is a voluntary treaty. This resolution would be binding for all members, even if they're enemies.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:30 am

Honoured ambassador to Linux and the X,

I can observe that some countries will have no military for reasons of neutrality and peace honoured ambassador. I think NATO in real life appears to be a form of a world army, even if a WA equivalent was formed, so therefore it would be illegal.

Return to General Assembly