NATION

PASSWORD

NEW Proposal: 'Opt-out' Organ Donations

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Isle of Biscay
Envoy

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Biscay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:34 am

To change the default Organ Donation policy from 'Opt-in' to 'Opt-out'.

Currently, legislation in most nations stipulates that a person must register to become an organ donor. This establishes the status-quo as not donating organs as the norm. As a result, donation rates are critically low in most nations, and are responsible for long waiting lists and thousands of deaths each year.

The proposal is to change the status-quo from the default 'no', to 'yes'.

Persons wishing NOT to donate their organs must apply to take themselves off the donator list.

This SIMPLE policy change will increase the level of organ donations, and increase the number of lives saved via organ donations, without forcing people to donate. Compared to compulsory organ donations, no-one's rights are affected, as CHOICE is still there.

Organs will remain the property of the Individual and will not be considered property of the state, however, the government is able to assume you are an organ donator unless you stipulate otherwise.

The Isle of Biscay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Biscay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 am

Please approve this if you agree and you are a WA Delegate. Thanks :-)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:16 am

The Isle of Biscay wrote:NEW Proposal: 'Opt-out' Organ Donations

Currently, legislation in most nations stipulates that a person must register to become an organ donor. This establishes the status-quo as not donating organs as the norm. As a result, donation rates are critically low in most nations, and are responsible for long waiting lists and thousands of deaths each year.

Persons wishing NOT to donate their organs must apply to take themselves off the donator list.

This SIMPLE policy change will increase the level of organ donations, and increase the number of lives saved via organ donations, without forcing people to donate. Compared to compulsory organ donations, no-one's rights are affected, as CHOICE is still there.

Organs will remain the property of the Individual and will not be considered property of the state, however, the government is able to assume you are an organ donator unless you stipulate otherwise.

Honoured ambassador, I believe organ donation systems such as assumed consent are best left to national health departments.

Yours,

The Isle of Biscay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Biscay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:30 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
The Isle of Biscay wrote:NEW Proposal: 'Opt-out' Organ Donations

Honoured ambassador, I believe organ donation systems such as assumed consent are best left to national health departments.

Yours,

Perhaps you are right, but I think discussion is important.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am

The USoP has a very popular organ donation program that is voluntary. I would request that my esteemed college please inform us how he came to the conclusion that we need to harvest organs by default.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

The Isle of Biscay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Biscay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 am

Philimbesi wrote:The USoP has a very popular organ donation program that is voluntary. I would request that my esteemed college please inform us how he came to the conclusion that we need to harvest organs by default.

Because the demand for organs is typically 4 times larger than the supply, and results in people dying while waiting for a transplant. Changing the default would increase the supply without affecting people's rights to not donate their organs when they die.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 am

Four times as much? A relatively arbitrary number. Actually with the recent advances in medicine my nation as made, demand for organs has shrunk in my nation and I hardly believe we are the exception to the rule.

Further changing the default would do nothing to change the minds of those who are against the practice, short of adding a level of red tape for them to deal with. Whereas the opt in method puts the onus on those who want to, also relieve then thought that the state will allow them to die in dire situations just to harvest their organs.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 am

We fear we begin to sound like the esteemed former mission of Omigodtheykilledkenny when we find ourselves asking for the umpteenth time, is this really an international issue ? Is this not infinitely better dealt with at a national level ? Where exactly is the benefit in bringing such a statute to the level of international law ?

Yours,
Last edited by Qumkent on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

The Isle of Biscay
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Biscay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:21 am

Philimbesi wrote:Four times as much? A relatively arbitrary number. Actually with the recent advances in medicine my nation as made, demand for organs has shrunk in my nation and I hardly believe we are the exception to the rule.

Further changing the default would do nothing to change the minds of those who are against the practice, short of adding a level of red tape for them to deal with. Whereas the opt in method puts the onus on those who want to, also relieve then thought that the state will allow them to die in dire situations just to harvest their organs.

Its not designed to change people's minds. The issue is that many people that would donate their organs are not donating their organs when they die, because they couldn't be bothered registering.

And if people passionately do not want to donate, then they should have plenty of energy to go about the red-tape and remove themselves from the list.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:31 am

Well, if they couldn't be bothered to register then how passionate about donating were they in the first place? If people passionately want to donate they will take the time to register, which in our nations is a check box on a form they have to fill out anyway... I know a great inconvenience yet somehow it works in the USoP.

Perhaps the ambassador should see fit to simplify the process in thier own nation, rather than try to change it world wide in places where it's working voluntarily.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

OOC: I quite like this idea, but I'm not sure the WA is the best way of going about it. It might work much better as one of the Daily Issues for people to decide upon, so you might want to explore Got Issues for drafting and advice.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:41 am

Enn wrote:OOC: I quite like this idea, but I'm not sure the WA is the best way of going about it. It might work much better as one of the Daily Issues for people to decide upon, so you might want to explore Got Issues for drafting and advice.

OOC: It already is one of the Daily Issues...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Enn wrote:OOC: I quite like this idea, but I'm not sure the WA is the best way of going about it. It might work much better as one of the Daily Issues for people to decide upon, so you might want to explore Got Issues for drafting and advice.

OOC: It already is one of the Daily Issues...

OOC: Shows how much attention I pay to them, then. Still, there may be scope for something else along those lines.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 pm

The Isle of Biscay wrote:because the demand for organs is typically 4 times larger than the supply, and results in people dying while waiting for a transplant. Changing the default would increase the supply without affecting people's rights to not donate their organs when they die.

This would not significantly reduce time spent waiting for a transplant. It would have to be verified that the person did not opt out, and demonstrating that the opt-out document does not exist (let alone never did exist) is much more time-consuming than finding that an opt-in document does exist. Further, the blood type of the "donor" and recipient would have to match, which is far from a certainty.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Aveasta
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aveasta » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm

I too think that such things are better dealt with at national level. The same policy on organ donation will not necessarily benefit all WA nations or their inhabitants -- all are different, after all. Furthermore I don't believe that the 'opt-out' policy will be popular with citizens, nor effective unless it is made widely known that one has to opt out in order to have their organs preserved. An advertising campaign on such a huge scale would be costly.
Political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly