NATION

PASSWORD

[RANT] All those repeals

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

If a passed resolution is inadequate, what should be done about it?

Seek to repeal it first, then draft up a replacement proposal
38%
Put up a replacement proposal first, THEN seek to repeal the defunct one
47%
Submit an amendment to an existing resolution to fill in the gaps
16%

Total votes : 32

Chedonia
Civilian

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[RANT] All those repeals

Postby Chedonia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 am

Am I the only one who's getting a little fed up about all the repeals lately? I'm talking about proposals that are submitted to repeal an already-passed resolution, purely based on the fact that it doesn't take some other (and unknown at the time) elements into account.

I mean, if the old one was inadequate, why not just submit a replacement proposal instead, where those unknown-or-not-accounted-for elements are included? How hard can it be to just base yourself on the old resolution text, and add your amendments to it, and submit that proposal instead?

Or better yet, why not have the ability to propose amendments to existing resolutions in the World Assembly, just as lawmakers can in other real-world countries? That way, when resolutions are just inadequate, we can just submit amendment proposals to them, instead of repealing them altogether.

What do you think?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:19 am

WA rules say no amending passed resolutions, no contradicting passed resolutions, no duplicating passed resolutions... Oh, and no plagiarism, neither. Repeal-and-replace is the only 'legal' way of making changes once a resolution has been passed.

And before you ask "Why?!?", this is because of the way in which the passage of resolutions affecting member nations' stats is coded.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gullud
Attaché

Founded: May 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gullud » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 pm

There are definite problems in the current WA. I feel that there has been a major shift away from looking for laws that will improve the lives of all citizens of WA member nations to an anger at the existing law. Often laws are repealed with adequate replacements ever proposed. It's just angry Ambassadors that want to spit on international law. It is time that we stand up to the crap. I have done so with the current repeal vote on the floor. Nations need to stand up and say this law helped me, helped my nation. Then it will stop.

Also, I have not seen any well written proposals in at least 2 months. The proposals that are written well are fail to receive quorum. The repeals do get quorum though. I would rather vote once a month on a good proposal than every 5 days on a repeal of a law that was clearly not read beyond the title by the author of the repeal. This is not saying that there have not been good repeal proposals. Three month we had the Repeal "Habeas Corpus Act" (GA# 195). It was well written, clear and replaced with GA# 201 within a month. This is proper use of repeal. I do think that we need to call a rules committee for a WA' general assembly to rewrite the rules on appealing laws. Otherwise, we must present the replacement before the repeal (unless we are going for nullification; then you should have a very good reason).

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Gullud wrote:There are definite problems in the current WA. I feel that there has been a major shift away from looking for laws that will improve the lives of all citizens of WA member nations to an anger at the existing law. Often laws are repealed with adequate replacements ever proposed. It's just angry Ambassadors that want to spit on international law. It is time that we stand up to the crap. I have done so with the current repeal vote on the floor. Nations need to stand up and say this law helped me, helped my nation. Then it will stop.

Also, I have not seen any well written proposals in at least 2 months. The proposals that are written well are fail to receive quorum. The repeals do get quorum though. I would rather vote once a month on a good proposal than every 5 days on a repeal of a law that was clearly not read beyond the title by the author of the repeal. This is not saying that there have not been good repeal proposals. Three month we had the Repeal "Habeas Corpus Act" (GA# 195). It was well written, clear and replaced with GA# 201 within a month. This is proper use of repeal. I do think that we need to call a rules committee for a WA' general assembly to rewrite the rules on appealing laws. Otherwise, we must present the replacement before the repeal (unless we are going for nullification; then you should have a very good reason).

For the record, the current repeal at vote DOES have replacements that are pretty much ready to go. In fact, it has THREE replacements - and I'm preparing to edit in some new revisions shortly.

(1) Medical Donation Rights - Human Rights, Significant
(2) Biomedical Innovation Organization - Education & Creativity, Education
(3) Biomedical Trade & Treatments - Free Trade, Mild

Provided that I can get the 2 repeals necessary passed, I hope to submit all 3 of these within a week of the successful repeals. (Please see any of those 2 threads for details on which 2 resolutions I am targeting for repeal.)

I understand your concerns - especially regarding important legislation that affects the health of those within our nations. So while I am disappointed with the 2 present resolutions in question, that is exactly why I am working to ensure that they are replaced with higher quality resolutions when all is said and done.

Yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador from the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island

ETA/OOC: For the record, only one of the options in the poll is even LEGAL under current WA law, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning for the second and third options.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Gullud
Attaché

Founded: May 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gullud » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Gullud wrote:There are definite problems in the current WA. I feel that there has been a major shift away from looking for laws that will improve the lives of all citizens of WA member nations to an anger at the existing law. Often laws are repealed with adequate replacements ever proposed. It's just angry Ambassadors that want to spit on international law. It is time that we stand up to the crap. I have done so with the current repeal vote on the floor. Nations need to stand up and say this law helped me, helped my nation. Then it will stop.

For the record, the current repeal at vote DOES have replacements that are pretty much ready to go. In fact, it has THREE replacements - and I'm preparing to edit in some new revisions shortly.

(1) Medical Donation Rights - Human Rights, Significant
(2) Biomedical Innovation Organization - Education & Creativity, Education
(3) Biomedical Trade & Treatments - Free Trade, Mild

Provided that I can get the 2 repeals necessary passed, I hope to submit all 3 of these within a week of the successful repeals. (Please see any of those 2 threads for details on which 2 resolutions I am targeting for repeal.)

I understand your concerns - especially regarding important legislation that affects the health of those within our nations. So while I am disappointed with the 2 present resolutions in question, that is exactly why I am working to ensure that they are replaced with higher quality resolutions when all is said and done.

Yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador from the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island

ETA/OOC: For the record, only one of the options in the poll is even LEGAL under current WA law, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning for the second and third options.

This was written during the first attempt at repeal of Medical Donation Rights Act. I know that you have a better one in the works.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 pm

You're missing the option where you repeal the resolution... and then you let the issue be a national one.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Gullud wrote:This was written during the first attempt at repeal of Medical Donation Rights Act. I know that you have a better one in the works.

Actually, I have FOUR replacements currently in the works - three of which have been submitted - compared to the three listed.

(1) Biomedical Donor Rights
(2) Biomedical Recipient Rights
(3) Biomedical Innovation Org
(4) [STILL BEING DRAFTED] Biomedical Trade & Treatments

Anyhow, I'm guessing this is (hopefully) a moot point, as the repeals passed and are now in the process (*presuming I make quorum on my replacements) of being voted upon to replace the now voided resolutions.
Proud Member of UNOG

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 am

A few thoughts:

- Basing a new proposal on an old one, as you described, would probably make you run afoul of plagiarism - the one auto-ejection offense in the WA.
How hard can it be to just base yourself on the old resolution text, and add your amendments to it, and submit that proposal instead?

- Some resolutions should not be replaced. They are just poorly done on topics that should not be legislated by the WA.
- Replacements need not be written by the same party. If you are annoyed that something you like is repealed, then go ahead and write the replacement!
- Amendments can't be done, for very good reasons (c.f. the rules post.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:- Replacements need not be written by the same party. If you are annoyed that something you like is repealed, then go ahead and write the replacement!

Replacements are also a good "starting job" for new proposal writers. Heck, back in the Olden Days, my first resolution was a replacement for the then-repealed UN Resolution for the "Global Library."
Proud Member of UNOG

Aqua Regia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqua Regia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:15 am

Repeal and replace is likely the best way to go about it when it comes to augmenting a past resolution. In the surrealistic environment that is NationStates, certain resolutions have the potential to "evolve". Meaning to say that newly discovered breakthroughs in a certain field may prompt past resolutions to be modified. However, amending a resolution is barred because it is not fair to affected nations to deal with the changes since alterations are considered beyond the scope of the existing resolution that nations have agreed on (what they see is what they should be getting, no more no less). So repealing an existing resolution and then drafting a replacement that addresses the shortcomings of the previous one is a sound and fair process.

On the other hand, some resolutions may have just become obsolete by nature. This is a little harder to justify because NS isn't bound by an evolving era much like what happens in the real world, which throughout its history has had a lot of circumstances that may have applied at one point but no longer applies in the present. This is highlighted by the fact that there are many nations that belong to fundamentally different environments from each other such as tech-type (i.e. fantasy) or relative location (i.e. space vs. terrestrial setting). Yet to a certain extent, this phenomena may still govern some aspects in the NS world with the same set of rules (i.e. while child labor of any kind is considered to be one avenue of improving productivity, it is universally frowned upon regardless of whether it takes place in the real world or NS because it is a harsh practice by nature).
Last edited by Aqua Regia on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All your post are belong to us."
NS Trackers
Nation: Aqua Regia
Region: Aizengard

"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:05 am

Aqua Regia wrote:However, amending a resolution is barred because it is not fair to affected nations to deal with the changes since alterations are considered beyond the scope of the existing resolution that nations have agreed on (what they see is what they should be getting, no more no less).

Nope. Not true.

Amendments are "barred," but your listed reasoning is not why. For more details, check the above links.
Proud Member of UNOG

Aqua Regia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqua Regia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Aqua Regia wrote:Amendments are "barred," but your listed reasoning is not why. For more details, check the above links.

Yeah I'm sure I read that quite a while back and I do agree that coding is a lot of hard work and frustrations. It's easier to keep things simple. I should have argued it as a personal opinion though since that was my intent. It's like having a contract you already signed. If it gets "amended", you'd normally be upset because such amendments may no longer cater to what you have agreed upon with the other party(ies).
"All your post are belong to us."
NS Trackers
Nation: Aqua Regia
Region: Aizengard

"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Chedonia wrote:Am I the only one who's getting a little fed up about all the repeals lately? I'm talking about proposals that are submitted to repeal an already-passed resolution, purely based on the fact that it doesn't take some other (and unknown at the time) elements into account.

I mean, if the old one was inadequate, why not just submit a replacement proposal instead, where those unknown-or-not-accounted-for elements are included? How hard can it be to just base yourself on the old resolution text, and add your amendments to it, and submit that proposal instead?

Or better yet, why not have the ability to propose amendments to existing resolutions in the World Assembly, just as lawmakers can in other real-world countries? That way, when resolutions are just inadequate, we can just submit amendment proposals to them, instead of repealing them altogether.

What do you think?

Personally, I like all the repeals. ;)
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly