NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Spiritual Freedom Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Spiritual Freedom Act

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Spiritual Freedom Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Cowardly Pacifists

The World Assembly:

RECOGNIZING that all people should be free to adhere to whatever private spiritual or religious beliefs they find most fulfilling in their lives;

REALIZING that some nations enact policies of taxation that benefit or subsidize certain favored religious groups over others;

CONVINCED that individuals who do not share a favored religious belief should not be compelled to support a religion they do not accept as true;

BELIEVING that it is an unfair and discriminatory governmental practice to tax individuals to subsidize a favored religion;

HEREBY:

PROHIBITS Member Nations from (a) taxing individuals or organizations differently on the basis of their professed spirituality or religion, or (b) providing disparate tax benefits to individuals or organizations on the basis of their professed spirituality or religion;

REQUIRES that any tax subsidy or benefit intended to promote or benefit a particular religious group be made available to all other religious groups and non-religious charitable groups;

ENCOURAGES Member Nations to provide tax benefits to religious, charitable, and/or spiritually-affiliated groups and individuals in a manner that promotes social well-being;
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Strongly support.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Against
Add me on Steam: Hatekindler

Member of: IWW, EF!, La Raza, the KFA, and NSG Senate and Red Army
Esternial wrote:
The God-Realm wrote:No

people who qq over losing a gf over a small penis size are insecure and need to check themselves

Before they wreck themselves?

Or their ex' car.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Emissary of the God-Realm, forgive me, I am not formally acquainted, but might I inquire as to why you do not support this act?

For the record, the C.D.S.P. tentatively supports this.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Emissary of the God-Realm, forgive me, I am not formally acquainted, but might I inquire as to why you do not support this act?

I'm gonna say that most of the folks who disagree with this will do so on the grounds that their nation has some national religion and they don't want to provide equal tax treatment to religious minorities.

Of course, they won't say it like I just did, because that sounds like a pretty awful justification.

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Emissary of the God-Realm, forgive me, I am not formally acquainted, but might I inquire as to why you do not support this act?

Oryx, may he reign for super-eons, does not allow the worship of other gods other than Oryx, may he reign for super-eons.
~Cake, Emissary to the WA.

Esternial wrote:

people who qq over losing a gf over a small penis size are insecure and need to check themselves

Or their ex' car.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Could the second clause be changed to:

REQUIRES that any tax subsidy or benefit intended to promote or benefit a particular religious group be made available to all other religious groups;
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

The God-Realm wrote:

Oryx, may he reign for super-eons, does not allow the worship of other gods other than Oryx, may he reign for super-eons.

As a member of the W.A., is that not in conflict with GAR #30, Freedom of Expression?
Besides, this doesn't keep theocracies to fail, simply keeps them from levying discriminatory taxes against those of differing beliefs.

Cowardly Pacifists » 25 Jul 2012, 19:24

I'm gonna say that most of the folks who disagree with this will do so on the grounds that their nation has some national religion and they don't want to provide equal tax treatment to religious minorities.

Of course, they won't say it like I just did, because that sounds like a pretty awful justification.

OOC: I know. I was hoping to encourage the player to offer a more comprehensive response.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 pm

The God-Realm wrote:

It stands to reason that only legal religions will pay taxes. Since there is (I am assuming) no tax on religions that legally do not exist, it would not grant treatment to other religions.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The God-Realm wrote:Oryx, may he reign for super-eons, does not allow the worship of other gods other than Oryx, may he reign for super-eons.

As a member of the W.A., is that not in conflict with GAR #30, Freedom of Expression?
Besides, this doesn't keep theocracies to fail, simply keeps them from levying discriminatory taxes against those of differing beliefs.

Cowardly Pacifists » 25 Jul 2012, 19:24

OOC: I know. I was hoping to encourage the player to offer a more comprehensive response.

No, because Oryx is a benevolent god and allows homage to other gods, but not worship.
~Cake, Emissary to the WA, and secret Haruhiist

Esternial wrote:

Or their ex' car.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:It stands to reason that only legal religions will pay taxes. Since there is (I am assuming) no tax on religions that legally do not exist, it would not grant treatment to other religions.

By that logic, no nation could possibly tax any religion that is not scientifically proven. Using the logic that one religion or another is correct and the others are not is not grounds for an argument in these hallowed halls of political mudslinging. We do have standards ;) .

Also, is homage not, essentially, worship, Ambassador of the God-Realm? Your policies seem to be in violation the kinds of WA resolutions that have been passed...

The God-Realm
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The God-Realm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:It stands to reason that only legal religions will pay taxes. Since there is (I am assuming) no tax on religions that legally do not exist, it would not grant treatment to other religions.

By that logic, no nation could possibly tax any religion that is not scientifically proven. Using the logic that one religion or another is correct and the others are not is not grounds for an argument in these hallowed halls of political mudslinging. We do have standards ;) .

Also, is homage not, essentially, worship, Ambassador of the God-Realm? Your policies seem to be in violation the kinds of WA resolutions that have been passed...

Um.... Not legally, as homage=respect in our nation, and Worship=Total devotion to something. Most humans, for example, worship defense potions and rebel often to get them.
~Cake, Emissary to the WA and stat potion hoarder

Esternial wrote:

Or their ex' car.

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

OoC: There are some nations that do have scientifically proven religions.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Kurt Demodand, Radiatia's representative to the WA rises.

"I have a question. Would this resolution prohibit taxation per se on religion?

"For example in the Radiatian Federation all religious groups are taxed at 30%, due to us recognising that they are businesses and the sort of businesses that we would prefer to discourage, might I add, given that they feed off the desperate members of society.

"My second question is that would a nation like Radiatia, which bans certain religious groups such as those which preach discrimination and those which attempt to contradict scientific fact, be bound to start allowing groups like Scientologists and Pentecostal Christians start operating in our nation?

"As it stands I am opposing this resolution. But your answer will determine the vehemence with which I oppose this - whether I simply choose to vote against it, or whether I rip up the document and burn things while voting against it."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 pm

The God-Realm wrote:Um.... Not legally, as homage=respect in our nation, and Worship=Total devotion to something. Most humans, for example, worship defense potions and rebel often to get them.
~Cake, Emissary to the WA and stat potion hoarder

Apologies. However I would like to direct your attention to GAR#35 (I've been gone too long if I didn't remember this little gem!)

c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination, except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers.

Just a small bit of it.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Would this proposal allow member states not to tax or to impose lower taxes on religious organizations while taxing similar nonreligious organizations at higher rates? If so, could you clarify this in the proposal?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Kakistopolis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kakistopolis » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Opposed.

Though not a member of the World Assembly (an organization listed on the Kakistopolitan State Department List of Foreign Terrorist Organizations), we must remind that our national religion's central tenet posits that nations can improve themselves by violently reducing the number of other nations to compare with, and that our licensed lethal force providers are charged with this sacred mission.

The wording of this Act would also seem to outlaw theocracies from funding a military.
Last edited by Kakistopolis on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My forbidden satire once earned me a 3-day vacation from the NS forums.

"Pacifist ideologues are the worst. You just want to punch them in the face and tell them to accept your culture of libertine violence and destruction." - the entry for "Pacifism" (in its entirety) in the Kakistopolitan Traveler's Encyclopedia

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Could we still recognize religions under this? We have a feeling Scientology could use this against us.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Would this proposal allow member states not to tax or to impose lower taxes on religious organizations while taxing similar nonreligious organizations at higher rates? If so, could you clarify this in the proposal?

I don't believe so, which is why I recommended changing the second clause.
Last edited by Auralia on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Could we still recognize religions under this? We have a feeling Scientology could use this against us.

Provided the same tax laws are laid down, it doesn't look that way, esteemed Ambassador, though I could be mistaken.

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 pm

In Venolia, there is no god, but God; hence meaning no religion exists, with the exclusion of Christianity.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Aquavina
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquavina » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 pm

strongly support as long as certain regulations are in place to assure that relegious organizations are practicing in a lawful manner and be a postive contributor and influence to society.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:REQUIRES that any . . . benefit intended to promote or benefit a particular religious group be made available to all other religious groups and non-religious charitable groups

Would this limit the ability of my country to fund the Catholic Church?

In my country, Catholicism is the state religion. The population is about 98 percent Catholic. About 27 percent of current government expenditures are allocated to the Catholic Church and Catholic organizations. In other words, about 19 percent of our GDP is dedicated to Catholicism. Ten percent of GDP goes to the Catholic Church itself (cf. tithe). Nine percent of GDP goes toward funding for Catholic organizations. These are mostly charitable organizations that provide services to the poor and so forth.

Who Receives FundingPercentage of Government ExpendituresPercentage of GDP
Catholic Church14%10%
Catholic Organizations13%9%

The education budget, which includes Catholic religious education, is separate and constitutes 18 percent of current government expenditures, or 13 percent of GDP.

In my country, secular welfare constitutes only one percent of government expenditures. This one percent is government unemployment insurance, or benefits for the unemployed. The national unemployment rate is currently 2.84 percent. This is the reason that unemployment benefits constitute a minute portion of the government budget.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm

I didn't expect so much interest in this. Obviously there's some work that needs to be done before this is even ready for a substantive debate. I'll take the time to respond to specific concerns later, as it's kinda late on my end.

Best Regards.

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:55 am

In principle we don't see a huge problem with this and could tentatively support such a measure.

- Lord Swift
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly