NATION

PASSWORD

Anti-Cartel Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Yensidretlaw
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Anti-Cartel Act

Postby Yensidretlaw » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Today I submitted a proposal to the WA and would like anyone's feedback -- encouragement, critique, or otherwise -- of it. A copy is printed below. I do hope that you'll vote for it. Thank you.

-------------------

RECOGNIZING that international drug cartels exist in our modern global society,

DEFINING a drug cartel as a group of individuals who traffick illegal drugs across national borders, with or without the knowledge of the nations' governments,

HEREBY establishs the Anti-Cartel Agency (ACA) to invesigate and prosecute drug cartels within the rules defined by the World Assembly, with a law enforcement team employed by the World Assembly,

THEREBY eliminating the issue of determining jurisdiction that has made legal prosecution of drug cartels difficult,

RESOLVING that the ACA will make annual, thorough reports of its activities and progress to the World Assembly,

WHEREAS not all member nations agree on a definition of "illegal drug," the ACA will only prosecute cartels that traffick drugs that are considered universally illegal and may be censured if it goes beyond such drugs,

And ALLOWING for an annual vote following the aforementioned reports to continue or discontinue the ACA,

LET IT BE RESOLVED that the Anti-Cartel Act will be international law.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Yensidretlaw wrote:HEREBY establishs the Anti-Cartel Agency (ACA) to invesigate and prosecute drug cartels within the rules defined by the World Assembly, with a law enforcement team employed by the World Assembly,

Illegal for this quoted section. The WA CANNOT employ ANY form of police or military force.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Bronson Prime
Attaché

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bronson Prime » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:10 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:
Yensidretlaw wrote:HEREBY establishs the Anti-Cartel Agency (ACA) to invesigate and prosecute drug cartels within the rules defined by the World Assembly, with a law enforcement team employed by the World Assembly,

Illegal for this quoted section. The WA CANNOT employ ANY form of police or military force.

I agree. The Confederacy of Bronson Prime would not support the ACA's resolution allowing a WA police force to intervene in soverign nation states' internal affairs. Besides, Bronson Prime has legalized most drugs, so there is no need for drug cartels or black market drug trading.
ImperialMilitaryAlliance member ** Imperial Combine Alliance member

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Bronson Prime wrote:
The Emmerian Unions wrote:

I agree. The Confederacy of Bronson Prime would not support the ACA's resolution allowing a WA police force to intervene in soverign nation states' internal affairs. Besides, Bronson Prime has legalized most drugs, so there is no need for drug cartels or black market drug trading.

Same reasons. Most drugs are legal. No Cartels. And a big no-no on giving the WA a police force. It'll never happen. Never.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

OOC: Yensidretlaw, I'd advise you to make sure you read the WA proposal rules, then post your proposal here before submitting it to the proposal list. That way you can revise and refine and make sure your proposal is legal and one that people would likely support before submitting it.

Yensidretlaw
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Yensidretlaw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 am

Thank you all for your feedback. I did read the WA rules ahead of time, which is why I was very careful not to use the term "police force." As for the legality of most drugs... well, that's a debate for another day. ;)

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:20 am

And pray good ambassador what's the difference between a "police force" and a "law enforcement team"? I would suggest that a police force by any other name is still a police force.

Nations have the right to decide for themselves what if any substances that feel important to ban. Many choose not to ban them in an effort to eliminate the very organizations this resolution would try to fight. The theory would be that if the substance isn't illegal then a subversive organization to deliver the substance would be unnecessary. As would this resolution.

Nigel S Youlkin
USoP WA Ambassador.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 am

Yensidretlaw wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. I did read the WA rules ahead of time, which is why I was very careful not to use the term "police force."

A police force by any other name, is still a police force.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 am

Draft text wrote:And ALLOWING for an annual vote following the aforementioned reports to continue or discontinue the ACA,

Honoured ambassador to Yensidretlaw, this appears to suggest metagaming or modifications to game mechanics: either way WA proposals do not have sunset clauses.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Yensidretlaw wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. I did read the WA rules ahead of time, which is why I was very careful not to use the term "police force." As for the legality of most drugs... well, that's a debate for another day. ;)

Any group which practices enforcement of an international law in multiple nations is illegal by WA standards. As for your comment on drugs, well, you can't really debate what my nation or any other nation chooses to make legal. We've had plenty of 'ban all bad drugs' and 'legalise all bad drugs' proposals come through. There's differing opinions. You can attempt to debate it with me, but, of course, I won't bother to listen and should you attempt to barge into my office with such a debate, you may find yourself tossed out my window in response. Have a nice day.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Given that the sunset clause is sufficient to cause this proposal to be illegal, never mind its manifold other failings, we strongly suggest that the author ask the relevant authorities to remove it from the WA's consideration before they decide that it merits a warning.

(OOC: in other words, the polite thing to do is to file a "Getting Help" request with the moderators asking them to pull your proposal because it's illegal. Otherwise you risk one of them noticing, deleting it and slapping you with a warning. Given that the problem with it has been mentioned a couple of times now, there's a fairly high chance of that happening.)
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly