NATION

PASSWORD

Alcohol Consumption only for ages 21 and above.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 am

Swkoll wrote:
USI wrote:highest punishment

Torture followed by public execution for drinking? Sounds harsh.

Torture is already prohibited by GAR9.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:
Ritzistan wrote:Um.... Even in real life the 21 years is American. In Canada it's 18, 12 with parental consent. Jewish people also give wine @ 12, when they become adults.

No, it differs with each Canadian Province, some are 18, most 19 and some at 20-21, the 12 yr. old thing isn;t true either.

OOC: According to Wikipedia, the drinking age in Canada is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec, and 19 in all other provinces and territories, but not 20 or 21 anywhere in Canada.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 am

You surely cannot be serious.

Against for many, many different reasons the main ones being: 21 years old is arbitrarily high, it is micromanagement of the most absurd level, it demands the "highest punishment" for people below the age drinking alcohol which in the case of many nations might be the death penalty and ((OOC: it is blatantly based on current US alcohol laws, which tend to be stricter than most of the rest of the world, and as such I don't even support the very idea behind this bill)).
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

USI
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby USI » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am

Prizyetsa wrote:Its good that you're trying to come out with a resolution, but unfortunately there are 2 major issues with this that make it a "bad resolution".

First off, the resolution deals with laws which differ from nation to nation, and would be an infringement on many nations' sovereignty which is not what the WA does. This resolution would also clash with many nation's cultures, such as mine for example, where it is customary to drink from a reasonably young age (16, just like my RL country).

The second issue is the length of the resolution. Although there are resolutions with two clauses, your resolution lacks preambleatory clauses which give reader some background information into why the resolution is at vote. For example, I would put this on the resolution to let people know why they are debating it: "Distressed that many nations allow underaged drinking to occur without issuing any punishment to those involved,". Of course that one isn't perfect, but it should give you a general idea of what I mean.

thnk u for ur help sir:-)
Good try though, its good to see new nations trying to get involved! If you want any help in the future, feel free to run thngs past me if you like. :)

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Soviet Canuckistan wrote:No, it differs with each Canadian Province, some are 18, most 19 and some at 20-21, the 12 yr. old thing isn;t true either.

OOC: According to Wikipedia, the drinking age in Canada is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec, and 19 in all other provinces and territories, but not 20 or 21 anywhere in Canada.

Sorry, my bad, just trying to recall it off the top of my head.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm

I vote against. In a nation in which military training begins and age 16, and those trainees are taken effectively out of society until their 19th or 20th birthdays, why make them wait another year or even two after they have given three or four years of their lives to National Service? The age of adulthood is 18 in the People's Republic and the vast majority of other nations. Hence why all laws typically revolve around legalising substances for ages 18 and above.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Naboompu
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naboompu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm

To whom it may concern:

I am strongly opposed to this resolution on the grounds that it is yet another course of action that increases governmental power at the expense of the individual. Why should the government be allowed to tell us what to do, especially since we can already vote, drive and even smoke? Moreover, the 'Big Brother' argument aside, this law has proved not only ineffective but actually detrimental to its cause: to reduce deaths related to drinking. The one nation with such a drinking age - the United States of America - has worse social problems, like a higher percentage of deaths per capita from drunk driving. From an economic standpoint, it is an expensive legislation to enforce and still is ineffective in preventing people under the age of 21 from drinking. I firmly support a drinking age of 16, modelled after European nations, which have the fewest problems involving or related to drinking; however, I believe it is a domestic (rather than international) issue. As it is, in my opinion, an issue of national sovereignty, Naboompu is firmly opposed to any kind of legislation on this matter.

Sincerely,
John Birch
Representative of North Atlantic Treaty Organization

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm

"This should remain a national issue and would conflict with the cultures of some nations."
Foreign Affairs Minister and WA Envoy,
Gerhard Schauble
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Opposed - micromanagement.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Opposed for a number of significant reasons.
  • It is difficult and somewhat silly to isloate a specific drug from all other types of drugs for specific resolutions. Traditionally anti-alcohol laws were pushed by religious zealots who wanted to oppress some other religion. I do know of several religions who use alcohol in religious ceremonies that are shared with those under 21.
  • The age of 21 is exceptionally arbitrary; I can easily see arguments both for a higher age and a lower age and that doesn't count the non homo sapien members of the WA.
  • The thought of giving it the "maximum sentence" is moronic since there is no definition of what maximum is. That effectively makes that part of the resoltion toothless.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Teaz Ceriously Independent
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Teaz Ceriously Independent » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I think that alcohol should be able to be consumed by 18 year old and up. i mean if you are suppose to get your own health insurance then you should be able to handle drinking! :meh: :clap: :clap:

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 pm

We've got our drunk kids well under control, well, sort of, as much as any drunks are under control. Still, every country deals with them differently. Some of them prohibit alcohol entirely, others have no legal constraints. There's no one solution to this perceived "problem" that will work across international borders.

Opposed.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Probably the first time we've ever said this:

This is not an international issue.

∴ We are opposed.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

GonzoNationofFreedom
Civilian

Founded: Feb 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GonzoNationofFreedom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 pm

:palm:

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 am

Swkoll wrote:
USI wrote: highest punishment

Torture followed by public execution for drinking? Sounds harsh.

That was the only thing that could have made me support this resolution. But still, no.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Peoples Empire
Attaché

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Alchohol consumption only for ages 21 and above

Postby Peoples Empire » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 pm

That would be a clear violation of my nations sovereignty. Even if it did pass every body in my nation would probably riot, and I have enough problems with them already.

USI
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby USI » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 am

USI wrote:This proposal is based on: To make Alcohol consumption mandatory only for ages 21 years and above. Below 21 years would lead to judicially scrutinizing the respected person and legally jailed.

Article 1: The World Assembly makes it mandatory for all the nation members to allow Liquor or Alcohol consumption only for people aged 21 years and above.
Why 21 and in what years is this being counted in?

Article 2: If persons below the age of 21 years caught consuming liquor or alcohol would be prosecuted legally and awarded the highest punishment of their respective countries.So the death penalty for anyone underage drinking communion wine or having a sip of beer?

"Wine" does not contain alcohol!

Lemonacia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemonacia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 am

USI wrote:This proposal is based on: To make Alcohol consumption mandatory only for ages 21 years and above. Below 21 years would lead to judicially scrutinizing the respected person and legally jailed.

Article 1: The World Assembly makes it mandatory for all the nation members to allow Liquor or Alcohol consumption only for people aged 21 years and above.

Article 2: If persons below the age of 21 years caught consuming liquor or alcohol would be prosecuted legally and awarded the highest punishment of their respective countries.

Opposed. Poorly written, and, in my opinion, a domestic matter. There's far too much variety in opinion for you to get this through, especially considering the number of nations that take pleasure from their lower drinking ages. Although, I might be onboard if you keep the mandatory alcohol consumption in. :rofl:

Also, Category And Strength?
Last edited by Lemonacia on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Graham Wakefield.
Representitive of the peaceful republic of Lemonacia.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 am

USI wrote:"Wine" does not contain alcohol!

Since when does wine not contain alcohol? It is the result of fermentation.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 am

USI wrote:

"Wine" does not contain alcohol!

Please don't Gravedig.

Previous

Advertisement