NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Fair Voting (Proportional Representation) Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
McPenguins
Political Columnist

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Fair Voting (Proportional Representation) Act

Postby McPenguins » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 pm

So, here goes, my first proposal.

Fair Voting (Proportional Representation) Act
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

RECOGNIZING the good work of R#130 (Elections and Assistance Act) in defining good electoral practice,
CONCERNED that plurality (or first-past-the-post) voting systems are fundamentally flawed because:
• Large political parties are often over-represented, while smaller parties are often under-representented or not represented at all
• Voters are encouraged to vote tactically, voting for whom they think is electable rather than whom that actually want to win office
• That many votes have no effect on the outcome of elections
• Results can be gerrymandered by changing the boundaries of constituencies for the benefit of larger political parties
THEREFORE REALISES that plurality voting systems are therefore undemocratic and unfit for purpose,
DECIDES:
• All single winner elections shall be decided using alternative vote (AV) rules,
• In all legislative elections for member states, the single transferable vote method of voting shall be used,
• In order to ensure proportionality, for parliamentary or legislative assembly elections in member states, constituencies shall elect 3 members or more,
• That the Robson Rotation be used to avoid donkey voting,
• In the event of a vacancy in a consistency, a single winner shall be elected using AV rules
MANDATES the OEA (Office for Electoral Assistance) to assist member states in implementation of electoral reform, including training of counting officers, and public information programs to explain electoral change,
AFFIRMS that this Act in no way dictates how many members any legislative assembly may need to represent the people, or affects member states that have a non-democratic system of government.

So what do people think? Comments, questions, and suggestions would be appreciated before I put it to the floor.
Last edited by McPenguins on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muchoas Mcmingpaws

Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 pm

McPenguins wrote:So, here goes, my first proposal.

Fair Voting (Proportional Representation) Act
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

RECOGNIZING the good work of R#130 (Elections and Assistance Act) in defining good electoral practice,
CONCERNED that plurality (or first-past-the-post) voting systems are fundamentally flawed because:
• Large political parties are often over-represented, while smaller parties are often under-representented or not represented at all
• Voters are encouraged to vote tactically, voting for whom they think is electable rather than whom that actually want to win office
• Results can be gerrymandered by changing the boundaries of constituencies for the benefit of larger political parties
THEREFORE REALISES that plurality voting systems are therefore undemocratic and unfit for purpose,
DECIDES:
• All single winner elections shall be decided using alternative vote (AV) rules,
• In all legislative elections for member states, the single transferable vote method of voting shall be used,
• In order to ensure proportionality, for parliamentary or legislative assembly elections in member states, constituencies shall elect 3 members or more,
• That the Robson Rotation be used to avoid donkey voting,
• In the event of a vacancy in a consistency, a single winner shall be elected using AV rules
MANDATES the OEA (Office for Electoral Assistance) to assist member states in implementation of electoral reform, including training of counting officers, and public information programs to explain electoral change,
AFFIRMS that this Act in no way dictates how many members any legislative assembly may need to represent the people, or affects member states that have a non-democratic system of government.

So what do people think? Comments, questions, and suggestions would be appreciated before I put it to the floor.

Strongly against:

1. This proposal micromanages, a lot.
2. Condorcet methods are far superior to the alternative vote (instant-runoff voting).
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Greetings Ambassador. Interesting choice for a first proposal - trying to establish new fundamentals of democracy and all. Here's my critique. Please bear in mind that I'm still agitated over Untied Celts proposal regarding weapons of mass destruction; so I might be less kind to your first proposal than I otherwise might have been.

If you haven't already, please familiarize yourself with the Rules for GA proposals. I feel like this proposal might be illegal at its inception, because you're demanding that nations recognize what you consider to be an ideal democratic mechanism to the exclusion of all others. Ideological bans are forbidden. I think that when you say that you prefer "proportional" representation to "plurality" representation, you're essentially arguing for one conception of democracy over another. Reasonable minds may differ on that point, so please seek further guidance. But my hunch is that this whole concept of prohibiting plural democracy and instituting mandatory proportional democracy is probably dead on arrival.

To the extent that this type of Act might be legal, you do a poor job explaining what your Act does. You use a whole lot of jargon when you talk about "alternative vote (AV) rules," the "single transferable vote method," the "Robson Rotation," and "donkey voting." It's kinda hard to follow since every time I read one of these I have to go look it up and figure out how that's going to work with the other jargon to make this Act actually do something.

The more I learn, the angrier I become at how presumptuous this all is. So you think you've got it all figured out, do you? Your delegation truly believes that your democratic procedures are so much better than anything anyone else might have or might possibly dream up, eh? Stuff it. We have a strong interest in deciding certain things for ourselves. We don't need the WA saying "ah ha, this is proper democracy! Everyone follow this election procedure from now on! And never do anything else!" If you really want to eliminate the terrible evil of plurality voting (which, somehow, sounds more democratic than proportional voting), look for ways to encourage nations to venture onto the right track. Don't say "no no, you're doing democracy all wrong. Here's how it should look; it's the only proper way you know." In short, get your micro-management out of my democracy!

Lastly, your proposal seems to duplicate the Elections and Assistance Act when you mandate OEA assistance in electoral reform. The OEA already has a capacity "as an advisory body... to promote democratic principles, including universal suffrage and voting accessibility." I don't know that your mandate adds anything to what the OEA already does. I get that you mean the OEA should oversee a transition to "proportional" democracy - something the OEA does not do under the EEA. But I still think this is an illegal duplication.

Edit: To quote my succinct colleague (who barely beat me to the punch):
Christian Democrats wrote:Strongly against:

1. This proposal micromanages, a lot.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Illegal, house of cards.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:

Illegal, house of cards.

To be honest, thats the easiest part to deal with here...

Recognizing that previous legislation has defined good electoral practices,

Is this concept legal? I could see it working if so.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm actually prepared to question as whether it isn't trying to repeal a previously established resolution.

That said, however, if the representative from McPenguins would like to rework GAR#130, I would recommend to them they present (not in resolution form) two things:
  1. What significant errors exist in GAR#130;
  2. What corrections could be made in a replacement to correct this.
Maybe then we could help you in writing both the repeal and replacement.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Micromanagement. Against.

Also, you'll want to categorize this under "Furtherment of Democracy"
Last edited by Dukopolious on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 pm

This is micromanagement to the extreme, mandating a single one-size-fits-all voting method for everybody. It might even be termed nanomanagement. We are quite disturbed as well that the author of this has determined that no system of democracy is "worthy" except for that which they wish to dictate to the rest of the WA. That appears to be just slightly on the arrogant side.

We must also echo our colleagues in that there is nothing explaining what alternative vote (AV) rules are, what the single transferable vote method is, what Robson Rotation is, or what donkey voting is. Please explain how anybody is expected to comply with provisions they have no frelling idea of what they are.

As this stands, it is not something worth voting on.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Aside from all of the stated issues, doesn't this practically force democracy in nations that don't want it?

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Aside from all of the stated issues, doesn't this practically force democracy in nations that don't want it?

Does it? Then we support!

Anyway, to be serious; yes, proportional representation is much fairer than first past the post, but it also means radicals get in; and we don't want to be fair on radicals, and therefore we oppose proportional representation.

And don't let the Ponyist delegations hear about you avoiding donkey voting.

(Also, Robson voting is probably an illegal real life reference. We're not entirely sure of how to get round this?)
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Syrkania
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrkania » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 am

Well, if this requires that all WA members use some form of democratic representation, this it's illegal as an ideological ban. If it only requires it of those members that already use some form of democratic representation, then it's in all likelihood illegal for optionality.

So, I am unsure why this is being discussed?
Wandering around here since 13 January 2004

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 am

Micromanagement - so we need to dictate how to elect people at all levels now? And gnomes are going to help run it? Good lord. No.

And this goes (apparently) not only for governmental elections - also board elections, society membership elections, and so on - including the time-honored SEPTIC SEPTIC elections.

Oh, and category/strength?
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 am

Syrkania wrote:Well, if this requires that all WA members use some form of democratic representation, this it's illegal as an ideological ban. If it only requires it of those members that already use some form of democratic representation, then it's in all likelihood illegal for optionality.

So, I am unsure why this is being discussed?

"Indeed."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:

Illegal, house of cards.

Not really, that's just a preamble clause and if it's removed the proposal still works fine.

McPenguins
Political Columnist

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby McPenguins » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am

The delegation understands concerns about the "nano-management" in the draft (which actually sounds quite cool). We are primarily concerned with unfair elections in member states, not imposing McPenguin's preferred electoral system to everyone. Under R#130 massivelydisproportionate parliament and government can take place. However, we felt it best to draft a proposal to that end to test the water, as it were. I refer to the draft:

These are our concerns. I hope that all democratic states in the WA that all pen- sorry, peop- sorry, sentient life forms have to right to fair representation in public life. We do not believe that minority views should be pushed out simply because they are minority.

The delegation will support for and campaign for any proposal that meets these stated aims. We feel that there could be support for a repeal of R#130, which a replacement with additional clauses that ban gerrymandering and encourage greater voter choice?
Muchoas Mcmingpaws

Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:30 pm

I see the value in encouraging the use of proportional representation over first-past-the-post. However, it should not go beyond suggestion. It conflicts with the goal of the OEA when the resolution dictates that they impose PR systems on nations that opt for OEA assistance. This kind of coercion will only diminish the use of the OEA, I fear.

- Dr. B. Castro

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly