NATION

PASSWORD

Draft: Abolition of Capital Punishment Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ezuela (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Draft: Abolition of Capital Punishment Act

Postby Ezuela (Ancient) » Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 am

"RECOGNIZING the lack of fairness when carrying out the death penalty,

NOTING the gross abuse of human rights that comes with carrying out the death penalty,

HEREBY abolishes the use of capital punishment, except in cases of treason."

eh? It's just a draft, and not that long, obviously. Any help in expanding it is welcome.

Free United States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Draft: Abolition of Capital Punishment Act

Postby Free United States » Fri May 29, 2009 9:49 am

IMO it doesn't give a good argument for abolishing the death penalty.

And even if this becomes an actual one, I'll vote against it.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Fri May 29, 2009 10:01 am

Capital punishment even in the case of treason is illegal in Meekinos already. we will not vote for something that allows an exception.

Capital punishment should be abolished because it fails to deter actual crime. It's nothing more than state sanctioned murder fueled by the plebian's desire for petty vengeance.

In its current form, this proposal is too weak. We do not support it.
Last edited by Meekinos on Fri May 29, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri May 29, 2009 11:08 am

Capital Punishment, in my nation, is reserved for repeat hardcore offenders. Rapists, murderers, and the like. I can agree that it isn't strictly ethical-- but it seems only practical, to me, that unreasonable people sometimes necessitate being dealt with unreasonably.

Furthermore, why should tax payers spend money on rehabilitation when the institutions designed for such purposes inhabit so many criminals, and allow so much crime to go on within their walls (not to say they do a poor job but that it is highly unavoidable,) that it is not at all a proper environment for rehabilitation? Some may argue that the chemicals required for lethal injection are more costly than housing a criminal for an extended period of time. To which I reply: "How much does a bullet cost?"

People have a warped sense of what is 'humane,' in my opinion. Quick and painless is humane. A bullet is humane. Lethal injection simply LOOKS better. It also isn't humane to maintain some pious view of ethics that restricts a nation from commiting some negligible act of barbarity for the sake of the 'greater good.'

I digress to another, slightly contradictory point. For this I'm going to pretend, briefly, that capital punishment should be made illegal. Why in the world would you grant an exception on behalf of treason? Treason doesn't ONLY mean an attempt to overthrow the government or to kill the sovereign. It could also be construed to be an exercise of various civil rights that I, for one, grant to my citizens. Protesting, for example. I am not willing to grant an exception to this statute that can be translated so broadly by cruel dictatorships.

That being said, I want to reitterate that I don't support any other section of this proposal either.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Cookesland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cookesland » Fri May 29, 2009 11:30 am

Where do you recognize the lack of fairness and why is treason so special?

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri May 29, 2009 11:36 am

The Palentine would be against any such ban being legislated by an outside body like the WA. The desision to allow or dissallow the death penalty is one best decided by individual states.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 am

In Charlotte Ryberg, first degree murder, rape and child sex offences remain punishable by death for the purposes of balancing the system of crime and punishment.

The "Iliaburg Ripper" atrocities of 1992 by Horn Goat in which 42 women and children were raped and killed in six months is a good example. Following the infamous first trial of November 1993 in which he was sentenced to fourteen life terms, the country experienced serious riots and sympathetic strikes which gained a brief attention of the then NSUN Security Council under the concern of the stability of the country. The execution of Mr. Goat after the January 1994 retrial only ended the crisis.

The ensuing public enquiry recommended the indefinite retention of the death sentence for three types of offences as described above, on condition that there was a five-year grace period for appeals and further investigations to be carried out, and then that the actual executions are carried out (with Nitrogen asphyxiation) in private. This remains in force today.

The Altan Steppes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altan Steppes » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

We agree with the esteemed delegation of the Palentine on this one; keep your grubby hands off our death penalty, and we'll keep our hands off of yours, and everyone will be happy.

That being said, we'll still offer advice:

1) You need to offer a coherent argument as to why the death penalty is bad, or at least something to back up your claims about the "lack of fairness when carrying out the death penalty" and the "the gross abuse of human rights" involved.

2) You need to justify your choice of treason as an exception.

3) You may want to spend some time looking into how various nations here handle the matter of capital punishment, and why they make the choices they do. A "one size fits all" solution to this matter is bound to fail.

-Jaris Krytellin, Ambassador
The Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Grand Soviet
Secretary

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Soviet » Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 am

The People's Republic of the Grand Soviet deounces this act to control our law enforcement and legal traditions. The sad fact is that since democratic reforms were pushed through in 1991 that crime has sky rocketed and we need every law enforcement method - including the death penelty in order to combat it. Our great nation does not support your resolution and calls on other members of the Communist International Union to oppose it.

Trinity Anne
Primer of the The People's Republic of the Grand Soviet

Ketrily
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketrily » Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 am

Restraint Of Capital Punishment Act

After learning of the injustice, in-humanity, and brutality of many ways and offences that compose capital punishment this paper's goal is to:

BAN Inhumane, and brutal forms of capital punishment such as (But not only) Hanging, Hanging drawing and quartering, Crushing ect....

PREVENT Public executions, which are unquestionably undignified

REVISE offences that may result in capital punishment such as, but not just:
~Treason, Unless such act endangers the people of such nation
~Petty offences, Such as Theft, Public Indecency ect...
~Religious Based Offences, Much like, but not limited to, Islamic Shaira Hadd offences
~Blasphemy
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you wish to ammend it, please give me a buzz
Last edited by Ketrily on Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

Moral
Moral Order: -0.5
Moral Rules: -7

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

It seems that this proposal is just a way to keep horrible people alive. Now I'm all for killing people that are a endangerment to large groups of people, but wouldn't it be easier to send them into exile?
Besides, no civilized society allows the deathpenalty anymore, and if they do then thats their buisness.

Malikov
Last edited by Malikov on Fri May 29, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri May 29, 2009 6:05 pm

The Republic would have to vote no to such a proposal. There are just some people who cannot be reformed. Why should they get to remain in prison for life? That's three meals a day and a bed to sleep in. Granted, we have no monetary system, but that's space being taken up by someone who could be reformed. So, why should we not execute these people?

We would also have to vote no to a proposal banning public executions. Anyone who attempts to assassinate any member of the Imperial Family is tried, convicted, and executed immediately. Could be considered a public execution. It usually happens within the span of several seconds.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly