NATION

PASSWORD

Right to Technonlogy

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Aegara
Envoy

Founded: Apr 12, 2009
Capitalizt

Right to Technonlogy

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 am

Hello everyone, I would like to open a debate on my current proposal "Right to Technology" to see what people think of it. Hopefully some of you may even vote for it! :lol:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE FINAL REVISED TEXT OF MY PROPOSAL THAT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED

Right to Technology
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Aegara

Description: APPALLED that millions of people currently live on a subsistence living;

AFFIRMING the basic human right to self improvement;

BELIEVING that many of these people would benefit hugely from the use of modern agricultural technology;

RESOLVES to create the Universal Technology Dissemination Body (UTDB) to appropriate funds from the WA General Fund for the purchase and distribution tractors, harvesters, fertilisers, and any other technology deemed appropriate for distribution;

REQUESTS that all citizens submit their requests to the UTDB for a review of their situation to be decided on a case by case basis;

STIPULATES that each approved proposal must be reviewed once per year to ensure continued suitability;

AFFIRMS the right of all recipients to unilaterally leave to donation program and suffer no ill consequences;

DESIGNATES a portion of funds provided to the UTDB to be used in the training of citizens in the repair and construction of replacements parts for the technology given by the UTDB.

Co-authored by Studly Penguins
Last edited by Aegara on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Re: Right to Technonlogy

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 am

BUMP!

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Thu May 28, 2009 9:13 am

Unofficial advice: don't bump a proposal after 15 minutes. Such premature ejaculation is, if anything, less likely to make people read your proposal.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:16 am

Sorry about that (it's my first time posting) although your language does seem a tad inappropriate.

Yousa (Ancient)
Civilian

Founded: May 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Yousa (Ancient) » Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 am

True

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 am

I think I should take this oppourtunity to steer the conversation away from this and back to my proposal lol.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 am

QoD wrote:Unofficial advice: don't bump a proposal after 15 minutes. Such premature ejaculation is, if anything, less likely to make people read your proposal.

I find the Ambassador's language, as usual, to be both appropriate and witty. We urge the author of this proposal not to confine their connotations to the obvious.

At any rate, does this proposal DO anything other than create two organizations? It must in order to be legal. Furthermore, we think a more appropriate name could be given to the proposal since it really only deals with agriculture.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Thu May 28, 2009 9:28 am

This kind of project has been tried before, and usually what happens is as follows:

5 years of it working absolute wonders
Thereafter, a lot of rusting tractors lying about unused as everything returns to normal

The saying "give a person a fish and they will eat for a day; teach them how to fish and they will eat for life" or whatever seems to apply. Simply giving out technology is unlikely to achieve long-term benefits because, if the people did not already have access to such technology they are unlikely to be able to repair or improve on the items - or even use them correctly. A better approach might be something like the old NSUN's "Sustainable Agriculture Centre". At the very least, it's important that this agency teach people how to use and service such machinery.

It's also unclear to me where these items will actually come from.

-- Dr Lois Merrywether
WA Ambassador
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 9:30 am

On a related note to what I just said... is it legal for one resolution to establish two organizations? I feel like I read something about that somewhere...
Antonius Veloci

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:31 am

I do appreciate the underlying message that is conveyed wittily but to possible young children who play it could be deemed inappropriate

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Thu May 28, 2009 9:32 am

OOC:
Absolvability wrote:On a related note to what I just said... is it legal for one resolution to establish two organizations? I feel like I read something about that somewhere...
Not a mod, but yes. I can't think of an example offhand, but at least one of the maritime resolutions in the old UN set up more than one.

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 am

If this proposal passes, as my last "Right to Technology" did then I hope that is legal as the my previous one was quashed by the Administrators.

In response to your questions I believe that this is "teaching someone how to fish" because this is providing people with something completely new with the potential to hugely improve their qualities of life.

As regards to the mainly agricultural aspect I did debate this with myself and I went down that road because I saw it as the technology that was most likely to improve people's lives.

Also it is the goal of the TBRC to review the current practices of the recipients of that technology, so the chance of rusting tractors is reduced.
Last edited by Aegara on Thu May 28, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 9:37 am

Aegara wrote:I think I should take this oppourtunity to steer the conversation away from this and back to my proposal lol.

Indeed. Notwithstanding that you can indeed create two organizations with one proposal... what say you to the matter of this proposal doing something ELSE? Affirmations, recognitions, and hopes don't really count.
Antonius Veloci

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 am

The "recognitions" and "affirmations" are merely intended as a preface to the issues that the proposal intends to solve. The "hopes" are what the the proposals will acheive.

The proposal creates two organisations that will hand out technology to millions of people so I think that that is quite a substantial thing even if it doesnt create a huge word count!
Last edited by Aegara on Thu May 28, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am

Official Proposal Rules wrote:Committees may be created, as long as certain things are kept in mind: nations do not sit on committees, they are staffed by mystical beings that instantly spring into existance and live only to serve on said committee. Committees are also bound by the above MetaGame rules. Also, keep in mind that Committees are additions to Proposals; they shouldn't be all the Proposal does.

Your proposal effectively does nothing except create committees. If you wish your 'hopes' to be mandates when you should phrase them more assertively.

Aegara wrote:The proposal creates two organisations that will hand out technology to millions of people so I think that that is quite a substantial thing even if it doesnt create a huge word count!

However substantial and 'groovy,' you still must abide by the rules.
Antonius Veloci

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 am

Aegara wrote:HOPE that, by the distribution of these technologies, the WA will dramatically improve the lives some of the most impoverished people in the world whilst also alleviating malnutrition due to the increased quantities of food produced.

Oh, and what you mandate shouldn't be the trickle-down effect of your created committees. This is redundant and STILL not doing anything.
Antonius Veloci

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 am

What exactly do you mean by groovy? My proposal is nothing but serious, with a bit of poetic liscence taken with the naming...

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 am

Point of order ambassador.

ESTABLISH the Universal Technology Dissemination Body (UTDB) to distribute tractors, harvesters, fertilisers and trucks to those most in need of them.

Where are said tractors, harvesters, fertilizers, and trucks coming from?
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 am

Philimbesi wrote:Point of order ambassador.

ESTABLISH the Universal Technology Dissemination Body (UTDB) to distribute tractors, harvesters, fertilisers and trucks to those most in need of them.

Exactly.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 am

They are to be bought by the WA and stockpiled until such a time when distribution is needed although I admit this could have been explicitly stated.
Last edited by Aegara on Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 am

Philimbesi wrote:Point of order ambassador.

In the absence of any alternative details being presented here, presumably obtaining them for distribution would be up to this 'UTDB' which would draw upon the WA General Fund as necessary.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am

That is exactly correct Honourable Ambassador.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 am

Aegara wrote:They are to be bought by the WA and stockpiled until such a time when distribution is needed.

And I'm sorry but with what money does the ambassador propose we use for that. Perhaps a bake sale or car wash? As this doesn't appropriate monies to either of the committees it creates to do that. Nor for that matter does it mention the fact that we're all now going to be tractor salesmen in our spare time.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 10:03 am

As it just so happens... I have an old tractor for sale. It's a little rusty... and I'm afraid the promisary note I've pre-drafted in anticipation of overwhelming desire for this lovely fixer-upper oppurtunity includes the words "as is," but still. Any takers?
Antonius Veloci

Aegara
Envoy

Capitalizt

Postby Aegara » Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 am

I think that the Honourable Ambassador is being totally unfair with regards to "all becoming tractor salesman". The UTDB will be responsible for the buying and distribution of said technology. This whole proposal will be funded from the WA General Fund. Many proposals do not explicitly state the source of funding, for example the current proposal, and I believe that the source of money is usually implied to be the WA General Fund.
Last edited by Aegara on Thu May 28, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly