NATION

PASSWORD

Draft: Repeal "Reduction of Abortions Act"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Gaytania
Secretary

Founded: Mar 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Draft: Repeal "Reduction of Abortions Act"

Postby Gaytania » Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING the irenconsilable differences between the two opposing views on this issue

DECLARING that Word Assembly Resolution #44 poses a threat to national sovereignty and independence through its restrictions on member governments rights to self governance

RECOGNIZING the effects of overpopulation on member nation's economies and environment

HEREBY:

1)REDEFINES "abortion" as the termination of a pregnancy through the removal or expulsion of the fetus from the uterus resulting in/or caused by its death.

2)REAFFIRMS the right of woman to choose whether or not to compromise her future through the birth unwanted child.

3)RESTRICTS the ability of the World Health Authority to regulate or restrict access to abortion related services

a.withholds the World Health Authority from endorsing or funding abortion reduction services

b.ensures that the World Health Authority provides universal access to abortion related services in compliance with national and international laws.

4)REDECLARES that nothing within the repealment of World Assembly Resolution #44 should regulate or restrict access to abortion reduction services and shall not affect the power of member states to declare abortion legal or illegal through legislation to expand or restrict access to abortion.

I would like to ask the members of the World Assembly for their support for my proposal to repeal World Assembly Resolution #44 also known as "The Reduction of Abortions Act". Also feel free to improve my proposal to fit the parameters of the rules of the World Assembly. You may suggest your edits to my proposal here.
Last edited by Gaytania on Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Draft: Repeal "Reduction of Abortions Act"

Postby Urgench » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 am

Repeals cannot introduce new legislation.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 am

Urgench wrote:Repeals cannot introduce new legislation.

Quite right, too true, indeed, and whatever other aphorisms suffice.

That being said, I urge the author not to give up just yet... because I would very seriously support a repeal of the statute in question.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 am

No need to reintroduce or redefine stuff. Just write your arguments down in a general point of view and sign it off with a formal repeal clause.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Thu May 28, 2009 11:51 am

We support the basis for the repeal, but not in its current form, as it is illegal due to the fact that it is proposing a new legislation when it is simply meant to be a repeal.

We will keep an eye on this because we do feel this will achieve the desired end goal if it is worded well.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Gaytania
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaytania » Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 am

World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING the irenconsilable differences between the two opposing views on this issue

DECLARING that Word Assembly Resolution #44 poses a threat to national sovereignty and independence through its restrictions that it poses on member nations right to self governance

RECOGNIZING the right of woman to choose whether or not to compromise her future through the birth of an unwanted child.

Second Draft of repeal of World Assembly Resolution #44 better known as the "Reduction of Abortion Act"
Proposed and submitted May 29, 2009 by The Queendom of Gaytania
I realize the fact that while this resolution might be imperfect in it's wording, it accomplishes the goal of the successful repealment of World Resolution #44.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 am

The revised edition is acceptable and we would encourage our regional's delegate to support this.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Ezuela (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ezuela (Ancient) » Fri May 29, 2009 9:33 am

The Republic of Ezuela supports the repeal of the Reduction of Abortions Act.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri May 29, 2009 9:41 am

Gaytania wrote:World Assembly,

DECLARING that Word Assembly Resolution #44 poses a threat to national sovereignty and independence through its restrictions that it poses on member nations right to self governance

RECOGNIZING the right of woman to choose whether or not to compromise her future through the birth of an unwanted child.

Second Draft of repeal of World Assembly Resolution #44 better known as the "Reduction of Abortion Act"
I realize the fact that while this resolution might be imperfect in it's wording, it accomplishes the goal of the successful repealment of World Resolution #44.

I don't think you understand what the resolution does. It does not restrict abortions, or infringe on a woman's right to choose to have an abortion. All it does is increase access to birth control, so fewer women will need to have one.

Your invocation of national sovereignty is therefore a false argument, making it illegal, and an invalid argument besides, since a repeal's primary argument cannot be "national sovereignty." Finally, your last clause still sounds like it is introducing new legislation (i.e., recognizing an individual right), which you have already been informed is also illegal.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Gaytania
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaytania » Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Gaytania wrote:World Assembly,

I don't think you understand what the resolution does. It does not restrict abortions, or infringe on a woman's right to choose to have an abortion. All it does is increase access to birth control, so fewer women will need to have one.

Your invocation of national sovereignty is therefore a false argument, making it illegal, and an invalid argument besides, since a repeal's primary argument cannot be "national sovereignty." Finally, your last clause still sounds like it is introducing new legislation (i.e., recognizing an individual right), which you have already been informed is also illegal.

I understand that while the wording of my proposal might be flawed, it successfully accomplishes the goal of the repealment World Assembly Resolution #44. I respect your arguments on the need for some clarification of the terms in my proposal. On the question national sovereignty, while you raise a valid point, you must take that comment into context with the other terms used in the argument contained within my proposal. The last part of my argument was meant to be an declaration that the World Assembly shall not pass another resolution with the same restrictive wording as World Assembly resolution #44.

I hope my reply helps you with some of the clarification you asked for on my proposal.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri May 29, 2009 5:26 pm

I do hope that you all realize that abortion is a euphimism for 'killing babies". Why would anyone be allowed to kill their children... better yet, why should anyone be allowed to kill their children. What you are suggesting is that it's okay for parents to murder their offspring. The difference between a full grown man being offed by his parents, and a baby being offed in the same manner, is that the older man can defend himself. What your suggesting is the cold-blooded murder of defensless babies. Babies need to be cared for and nourished. If you don't want your kid then put him up for adoption, and let him keep his life.

Malikov
Last edited by Malikov on Fri May 29, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Fri May 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Keep this in place.

Don't repeal it.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Malikov wrote:I do hope that you all realize that abortion is a euphimism for 'killing babies". Why would anyone be allowed to kill their children... better yet, why should anyone be allowed to kill their children. What you are suggesting is that it's okay for parents to murder their offspring. The difference between a full grown man being offed by his parents, and a baby being offed in the same manner, is that the older man can defend himself. What your suggesting is the cold-blooded murder of defensless babies. Babies need to be cared for and nourished. If you don't want your kid then put him up for adoption, and let him keep his life.

Malikov

Let me say first off that the Republic has strict laws on abortion. We do not condone it.

However, claiming that abortion is a euphemism for 'killing babies' is rather harsh. Many nations have a difference of opinion on where life actually begins. Some say conception. Others may say birth. Still others may specify a time during pregnancy.

The Reduction of Abortions Act was designed to allow nations to still choose for themselves what to do about abortion. What the Act also did was to promote birth control methods so that abortion wouldn't have to be used as often.

That said, your nation still has the right to say just say no to abortions. Where's the problem?

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Gaytania
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaytania » Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Malikov wrote:I do hope that you all realize that abortion is a euphimism for 'killing babies". Why would anyone be allowed to kill their children... better yet, why should anyone be allowed to kill their children. What you are suggesting is that it's okay for parents to murder their offspring. The difference between a full grown man being offed by his parents, and a baby being offed in the same manner, is that the older man can defend himself. What your suggesting is the cold-blooded murder of defensless babies. Babies need to be cared for and nourished. If you don't want your kid then put him up for adoption, and let him keep his life.

Malikov

Thank you for your comment Malikov. While I recognize the fact that there are strong views on both sides of this issue, your definition of abortion would not be universally accepted because it is too polarizing and sees the argument from only one point of view. My proposal is not trying to do anything to promote abortion, it is only repealing and old resolution so that we can make way for a new resolution that may accurately represent both opposing points of view on this issue in a equal manner. This repealment is to help make way for further debate so we can find common ground on this issue so that we can come to a compromise on a resolution that might equally weigh each of the opposing arguments on this issue.

I respect your opinion and I want you to help me get this repealment passed so we can make way for new debate where everyone's voice may be heard. This is only the first step!

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Fri May 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Gaytania wrote:Thank you for your comment Malikov. While I recognize the fact that there are strong views on both sides of this issue, your definition of abortion would not be universally accepted because it is too polarizing and sees the argument from only one point of view. My proposal is not trying to do anything to promote abortion, it is only repealing and old resolution so that we can make way for a new resolution that may accurately represent both opposing points of view on this issue in a equal manner. This repealment is to help make way for further debate so we can find common ground on this issue so that we can come to a compromise on a resolution that might equally weigh each of the opposing arguments on this issue.

I respect your opinion and I want you to help me get this repealment passed so we can make way for new debate where everyone's voice may be heard. This is only the first step!

I fail to see why new legislation is needed.

The current one does not remove a nation's right to decide the issue for themselves.

I'm going to do something I've never done before. I'm going to ask you to trust me. The issue of Abortion has been discussed time and time again. There will never be anything that will be better and more fair than this. This went through a long and drawn out debate previously.

The problem with the repeal is that there is no viable argument to it.

First, it's irreconcilable. Yeah, that would be valid. There's never going to be a compromise better than WAR #44.

Second, National Sovereignty is not a valid point. Now, that said, the Resolution is all about National Sovereignty. No where in the resolution does it say, in any way, shape, or form, that every nation must allow abortion or even every nation must ban abortion. There are no restrictions on the right to self governance.

Third, all I can say is 'huh? what?' Where are you getting that from? In fact, if you, the Ambassador from Gaytania, can show me where WAR #44 denies the right of a woman to choose, I will personally buy you a drink at the Stranger's Bar. And those other Ambassadors that go there can tell you that I have never set foot in that place.

So, all said, the only valid point you make in all that is the first one. Not enough to get it repealed.

Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Fri May 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I suggest that the honorable ambassador from Gaytania reread WAR #44. It quite clearly states that it is not restricting access to abortions in any way.

Reduction of Abortions Act wrote:6. DECLARES that nothing in this resolution shall affect the power of member states to declare abortion legal or illegal or to pass legislation extending or restricting access to abortion.

Furthermore, all the things it legislates would be considered good by most nations regardless of their stance on abortion, and even if nations did disagree with services it encourages, they are free to provide them to whatever extent they wish, whether they be very difficult to access or impossible to avoid.
Last edited by Osgarna on Fri May 29, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaytania
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaytania » Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 am

Rutianas wrote:
Gaytania wrote:Thank you for your comment Malikov. While I recognize the fact that there are strong views on both sides of this issue, your definition of abortion would not be universally accepted because it is too polarizing and sees the argument from only one point of view. My proposal is not trying to do anything to promote abortion, it is only repealing and old resolution so that we can make way for a new resolution that may accurately represent both opposing points of view on this issue in a equal manner. This repealment is to help make way for further debate so we can find common ground on this issue so that we can come to a compromise on a resolution that might equally weigh each of the opposing arguments on this issue.

I fail to see why new legislation is needed.

The current one does not remove a nation's right to decide the issue for themselves.

I'm going to do something I've never done before. I'm going to ask you to trust me. The issue of Abortion has been discussed time and time again. There will never be anything that will be better and more fair than this. This went through a long and drawn out debate previously.

The problem with the repeal is that there is no viable argument to it.

First, it's irreconcilable. Yeah, that would be valid. There's never going to be a compromise better than WAR #44.

Second, National Sovereignty is not a valid point. Now, that said, the Resolution is all about National Sovereignty. No where in the resolution does it say, in any way, shape, or form, that every nation must allow abortion or even every nation must ban abortion. There are no restrictions on the right to self governance.

Third, all I can say is 'huh? what?' Where are you getting that from? In fact, if you, the Ambassador from Gaytania, can show me where WAR #44 denies the right of a woman to choose, I will personally buy you a drink at the Stranger's Bar. And those other Ambassadors that go there can tell you that I have never set foot in that place.

So, all said, the only valid point you make in all that is the first one. Not enough to get it repealed.

I recognize where the wording in my repeal is flawed and needs to be improved. Furthermore World Assembly Resolution #44 force's member governments to provide access to "Abortion Reduction Services", and that is enough to be threat to national sovereignty and the ability to self govern. I never stated that World Assembly Resolution #44 placed any restrictions on the ability on member governments to ban or allow abortions. World Resolution #44 does place restrictions on the ability of member nations to control their populations through tools like abortion. While World Resolution #44 does not restrict the choice of a woman, it restricts the ability of member governments to effectively govern their people in any way they please. If a government chooses not to allow access to "Abortion Reduction Services" for religious, ethical, or social reasons, than they shall not be required to do so.

Gaytania
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaytania » Sat May 30, 2009 12:06 am

Osgarna wrote:I suggest that the honorable ambassador from Gaytania reread WAR #44. It quite clearly states that it is not restricting access to abortions in any way.

Reduction of Abortions Act wrote:6. DECLARES that nothing in this resolution shall affect the power of member states to declare abortion legal or illegal or to pass legislation extending or restricting access to abortion.

Furthermore, all the things it legislates would be considered good by most nations regardless of their stance on abortion, and even if nations did disagree with services it encourages, they are free to provide them to whatever extent they wish, whether they be very difficult to access or impossible to avoid.

The resolution fails to implicitly state your assertion.

Osgarna
Envoy

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Osgarna » Sat May 30, 2009 12:35 am

Gaytania wrote:
Osgarna wrote:I suggest that the honorable ambassador from Gaytania reread WAR #44. It quite clearly states that it is not restricting access to abortions in any way.

The resolution fails to implicitly state your assertion.

Well, the first assertion is certainly beyond being merely implied, but the second is quite open to interpretation by each nation, though it may verge on being explicitly non-decreeing with all that talk of "urging." However, I fail to see why it bothers you that the the resolution does not seem to be "implicit" enough.
Last edited by Osgarna on Sat May 30, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Sat May 30, 2009 5:36 am

Gaytania wrote:I recognize where the wording in my repeal is flawed and needs to be improved. Furthermore World Assembly Resolution #44 force's member governments to provide access to "Abortion Reduction Services", and that is enough to be threat to national sovereignty and the ability to self govern. I never stated that World Assembly Resolution #44 placed any restrictions on the ability on member governments to ban or allow abortions. World Resolution #44 does place restrictions on the ability of member nations to control their populations through tools like abortion. While World Resolution #44 does not restrict the choice of a woman, it restricts the ability of member governments to effectively govern their people in any way they please. If a government chooses not to allow access to "Abortion Reduction Services" for religious, ethical, or social reasons, than they shall not be required to do so.

From WAR #44. I'm going to take a few sections and explain them to show why your argument isn't valid.

2. AFFIRMS the right of individuals to access information regarding abortion reduction services;

This just states that an individual should have the right to get abortion reduction services. It does not say that the government is required to provide it

3. STRONGLY URGES member states to research, invest in, and provide universal access to abortion reduction services;

Strongly urges does not mean required. A nation can easily say 'okay, they have a right to it, we're still not providing it'. There's no tampering with the way they choose to run.

4. FURTHER ENCOURAGES member states to provide financial aid to pregnant individuals and parents to reduce or remove economic reasons for abortion and economic barriers to childbirth;

Again, further encourages does not mean required.

I still fail to see how national sovereignty is at risk. Let me make it clear, the Republic does take NatSov views in debates. We did vote for WAR #44 because it did not tamper with NatSov then, and it doesn't tamper with it now.

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Sat May 30, 2009 9:20 am

Rutianis wrote:
There will never be anything that will be better and more fair than this.

Quite true, quite true. Abortion is a topic that is very sensitive, and thus will have many diffrent veiw points. If we leave the resolution be then everyone can go do what they want.

Malikov
Last edited by Malikov on Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:30 pm

In the Federation of the Serbian Soviet Union, Abortion is strictly prohibitted and any form of abortion is classified as murder in the first degree and it is punishable by death or life in prison. Abortion is only allowed in most extreme cases that includes if the baby is life threatening to the mother or if the lady has been raped.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Serbian_Soviet_Union wrote:In the Federation of the Serbian Soviet Union, Abortion is strictly prohibitted and any form of abortion is classified as murder in the first degree and it is punishable by death or life in prison. Abortion is only allowed in most extreme cases that includes if the baby is life threatening to the mother or if the lady has been raped.

SSU, this died a long time ago.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:34 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:
Serbian_Soviet_Union wrote:In the Federation of the Serbian Soviet Union, Abortion is strictly prohibitted and any form of abortion is classified as murder in the first degree and it is punishable by death or life in prison. Abortion is only allowed in most extreme cases that includes if the baby is life threatening to the mother or if the lady has been raped.

SSU, this died a long time ago.

My bad, sorry about this, i thought it was recent, i won't post in here anymore.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Such stamina. Such a waste.

I still hope this astounding stamina is diverted to better ends.

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly