NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Recreational Drugs for Spiritual Use

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Recreational Drugs for Spiritual Use

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Category: Recreational Drugs
Strength: Legalize

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING the plethora of existing religions within the diverse multiverse,

ACKNOWLEDGING that many of these religions require the use of recreational drugs to perform certain rituals, or other such spiritual events,

LAMENTING that many religious activists must resort to illegal actions to successfully practice their religion,

DEFINING the following words for the purpose of this resolution:

• Religion- Any organized group of individual who adheres to a set of beliefs regarding the creation and purpose of the all things,
  • Recreational Drug- Any substance used without medical justification in order to experience mind-altering effects.

HEREBY MANDATES that all nations adopt a policy in which

1. Recreational drugs are made legal to nationally recognized religions,
  2. Recreational drugs can be administered quickly, and fairly to all individuals who practice recognized religions,

CREATES the Bureau of Spirituality and Theology (BST), the purpose of which is to compile an up-to-date list of recognized religions that use recreational substances to ensure that governments are fairly administering drugs, as well as to prevent individuals from creating religions with the sole intent of obtaining drugs.

Just a rough draft while my other proposal is being reworked.
Last edited by Connopolis on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Connopolis wrote:Category: Recreational Drugs

The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING that many of these religions require the use of recreational drugs to perform certain rituals, or other such spiritual events,

LAMENTING that many religious activists must resort to illegal actions to successfully practice their religion,

• Religion- Any organized group of individual who adheres to a set of beliefs regarding the creation and purpose of the all things,
  • Recreational Drug- Any substance used without medical justification in order to experience mind-altering effects.

2. Recreational drugs can be administered quickly, and fairly to all individuals who practice recognized religions,

CREATES the Spirituality and Theology Agency (STA), the purpose of which is to compile an up-to-date list of recognized religions to ensure that governments are fairly administering drugs, as well as to prevent individuals from creating religions with the sole intent of obtaining drugs.

We in no way believe that legalizing drugs, even for religious purposes, is in any way necessary, nor an international issue. I don't care what you believe, so long as you are within C.D.S.P. borders, drugs are illegal, and will stay that way. Religion is not a reasonable reason to partake.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Connopolis wrote:Category: Recreational Drugs

The World Assembly,

CREATES the Spirituality and Theology Agency (STA), the purpose of which is to compile an up-to-date list of recognized religions to ensure that governments are fairly administering drugs, as well as to prevent individuals from creating religions with the sole intent of obtaining drugs.

We in no way believe that legalizing drugs, even for religious purposes, is in any way necessary, nor an international issue. I don't care what you believe, so long as you are within C.D.S.P. borders, drugs are illegal, and will stay that way.

Is it fair to say that politically, we are exact opposites? Just note that these drugs will be strictly regulated, and offered to religion's who use them strictly for religious use. By the time I've finished this draft, it will probably only affect very mild drugs, such as marijuana.
Last edited by Connopolis on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Connopolis wrote:
We in no way believe that legalizing drugs, even for religious purposes, is in any way necessary, nor an international issue. I don't care what you believe, so long as you are within C.D.S.P. borders, drugs are illegal, and will stay that way.

Is it fair to say that politically, we are exact opposites? Just note that these drugs will be strictly regulated, and offered to religion's who use them strictly for religious use. By the time I've finished this draft, it will probably only affect very mild drugs, such as marijuana.

Not really. I would say I'm fairly socially liberal, just not on drugs, and I would see that you are as well. IRL, I like the thought of recreational drug legalization. IC, I don't want my people wasting their lives sitting stoned on the couch. Why we would be ok letting them get high while sitting on a pew is beyond me. The C.D.S.P. believes that drug use should be strictly left to individual nations. We have no problem if your nation legalizes every drug known to mankind, but don't want it within our borders. There are too many dangers associated with them.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Connopolis wrote:

Not really. I would say I'm fairly socially liberal, just not on drugs, and I would see that you are as well. IRL, I like the thought of recreational drug legalization. IC, I don't want my people wasting their lives sitting stoned on the couch. Why we would be ok letting them get high while sitting on a pew is beyond me. The C.D.S.P. believes that drug use should be strictly left to individual nations. We have no problem if your nation legalizes every drug known to mankind, but don't want it within our borders. There are too many dangers associated with them.

Ambassador, marijuana has minimal effects on consumers, especially given that those who use these drugs will not be at work, nor will they be laboring, therefore it won't affect their work performance. These drugs will be strictly regulated (this is optional, but given your government's policies, they would be strictly regulated in your nation), and would only be used while consumers are in congregated groups.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Connopolis wrote:

Ambassador, marijuana has minimal effects on consumers, especially given that those who use these drugs will not be at work, nor will they be laboring, therefore it won't affect their work performance. These drugs will be strictly regulated (this is optional, but given your government's policies, they would be strictly regulated in your nation), and would only be used while consumers are in congregated groups.

As a past user of marijuana, I can strongly attest against the claim that it has minimal effects...heath-wise, one joint has the destructive effect on the lungs that four tobacco cigarettes have, as well as certifiable after-effects, and a very dangerous impairment level that rivals alcohol. Choice of religion has no bearing on the reasons we ban these mild recreational drugs. We see absolutely no benefit from them, plenty of harm, and no reason to legalize them, restrictions aside.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:05 pm

I tried this earlier this year. It won't pass, so there really isn't a reason to try.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Connopolis wrote:

As a past user of marijuana, I can strongly attest against the claim that it has minimal effects...heath-wise, one joint has the destructive effect on the lungs that four tobacco cigarettes have, as well as certifiable after-effects, and a very dangerous impairment level that rivals alcohol. Choice of religion has no bearing on the reasons we ban these mild recreational drugs. We see absolutely no benefit from them, plenty of harm, and no reason to legalize them, restrictions aside.

I agree with my fellow delegate, drugs do have effects. I see the benefit of religious freedom but not the health risks. We agree with the progession of freedom of religion but if it endangers lives......we must not accept this. We arent just talking about marijuana my dear delegate....we are talking about manu drugs.

Second, i dont see this as an international issue now. I would deal with this by an own nations government. We've had our trouble with drug users and cartels before. We have this sort of idea been brought before our Senate on five different occassions nut eventually thrown out.

Third, we have seen a bill like this before> It didnt get passed. People don't like to legalize drugs due to the many after-effects. As C.D. stated, it was defeated by a fairly large margain.
Last edited by Dilange on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Dilange wrote:

I agree with my fellow delegate, drugs do have effects. I see the benefit of religious freedom but not the health risks. We agree with the progession of freedom of religion but if it endangers lives......we must not accept this. We arent just talking about marijuana my dear delegate....we are talking about manu drugs.

Second, i dont see this as an international issue now. I would deal with this by an own nations government. We've had our trouble with drug users and cartels before. We have this sort of idea been brought before our Senate on five different occassions nut eventually thrown out.

Third, we have seen a bill like this before> It didnt get passed. People don't like to legalize drugs due to the many after-effects. As C.D. stated, it was defeated by a fairly large margain.

Perhaps I should alter the scope of this proposal to focus on Marijuana. The effects of marijuana being so detrimental are fallacious. While I agree, marijuana is harmful towards your lungs, and it will impair your cognitive processes temporarily, it does not have any long-lasting effects (mentally). As Dilange's delegation mentioned, the benefits are those of religious freedom, and in my opinion, such vast religious freedom outweighs possible health risks.

C.D. I'd be more than willing to have you help me co-author this, as you seem to be the resident expert. It's very pessimistic to assume that because it's failed, it will fail again.
Last edited by Connopolis on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Connopolis wrote:C.D., that's very pessimistic of you to automatically assume that because it's failed, it will fail again. As Dilange's delegation mentioned, the benefits are those of religious freedom, and in my opinion, such vast religious freedom outweighs possible health risks.

C.D. I'd be more than willing to have you help me co-author this, as you seem to be the resident expert.

The Entheogens Legalization Act is tied for the fifth least popular proposal to reach the floor in WA history.

That said, I'll help with a proposal that legalizes marijuana and alcohol for religious purposes. :)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Connopolis wrote:C.D., that's very pessimistic of you to automatically assume that because it's failed, it will fail again. As Dilange's delegation mentioned, the benefits are those of religious freedom, and in my opinion, such vast religious freedom outweighs possible health risks.

C.D. I'd be more than willing to have you help me co-author this, as you seem to be the resident expert.

The Entheogens Legalization Act is tied for the fifth least popular proposal to reach the floor in WA history.

That said, I'll help with a proposal that legalizes marijuana and alcohol for religious purposes. :)

Well, our goal is to make it to at least sixth least popular. :)

In my opinion, this is a very important issue to legislate on, and many people have distorted views on the dangers of marijuana.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Connopolis wrote:many people have distorted views on the dangers of marijuana

The best thing about the Entheogens Legalization Act was that it coincidentally reached quorum on 4/20. ;)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Connopolis wrote:many people have distorted views on the dangers of marijuana

The best thing about the Entheogens Legalization Act was that it coincidentally reached quorum on 4/20. ;)

*Twilight Zone Music*

Wow, that's pretty strange. :blink:
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:46 am

Well, I definitely OPPOSE it, but should this pass, we will simply not recognise any religion..
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 am

Connopolis wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The Entheogens Legalization Act is tied for the fifth least popular proposal to reach the floor in WA history.

Well, our goal is to make it to at least sixth least popular. :)

In my opinion, this is a very important issue to legislate on, and many people have distorted views on the dangers of marijuana.

OOC: I don't know what you mean by distorted...there are certainly long term mental effects related to marijuana use. I've seen enough burnt out college students to tell you that something permenant happens, even if there is not yet a definitive study on the matter...

IC: I still do not see why religion is a necessary exception for marijuana usage. It is a dangerous drug, not only from the damage it causes, but from the impairment, which is far beyond the impairment from alcohol, and the amount it takes to become dangerously impaired is an order of magnitude greater then alcohol at least. We encourage our people to do something with their lives; hobbies, time spent with families, furthering education. Why the government should endorse people sitting on their asses, high as a kite as an acceptable use of their time is beyond me. And you know that this will be severely abused. So long as it is required to allow pot for our churches, there will be successful attempts to get these drugs for the purpose of amusing themselves under the guise of religious necessity.

If a religion requires altering your state of mind to worship, then it is hardly a religion. More like a cult, or a brainwashing ceremony...

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 am

I believe in legalization of Recreational drugs... but this is not exactly how I think it should be done.
OPPOSED
Last edited by Wazkyraque on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

Monikian WA Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Monikian WA Mission » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

"Drugs policy is a national issue regardless of the reason that an individual citizen may or may not use drugs. As such Opposed."
All posts should be assumed to be IC unless I am using an OOC indicator.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

(An asterisk [*] {or exclamation point [!] at the beginning of a word} in Monikian Words indicates a clicking sound which is not easily translatable in the Latin alphabet)

some cool stuff

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 am

Let's skip right to the Special Rights argument, since that is where this is going anyways.
Here is the relevant argument that I constructed, along with multiple other ambassadors.

In short, I am opposed. Religious or spiritual groups should not be granted rights that are not granted to other citizens.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Morlago
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Let's skip right to the Special Rights argument, since that is where this is going anyways.
Here is the relevant argument that I constructed, along with multiple other ambassadors.

In short, I am opposed. Religious or spiritual groups should not be granted rights that are not granted to other citizens.

More like this is trying to legalise recreational drugs in the name of religion.
Angelo Gervoski

Graph

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 am

Morlago wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Let's skip right to the Special Rights argument, since that is where this is going anyways.

More like this is trying to legalise recreational drugs in the name of religion.

Oh but the zinger is that it only legalizes them for the religion's followers.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Liberalions
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberalions » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:31 am

Personally Liberalions believes that the use of Drugs for religious reasons should be legalised. However, only for unradical religious organisations. Those who do not adhere to the law of the land and endanger our people with their religious views should not be benefitted in any way shape or form.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Morlago wrote:More like this is trying to legalise recreational drugs in the name of religion.

This only legalizes recreational drugs to religious followers because they have a practical use for them, as opposed to Bob, who just wants to use drugs for the sake of it. Personally, I see no problem with Bob using drugs, but that's more of a domestic issue.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:40 am

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Oh but the zinger is that it only legalizes them for the religion's followers.

This only legalizes recreational drugs to religious followers because they have a practical use for them, as opposed to Bob, who just wants to use drugs for the sake of it. Personally, I see no problem with Bob using drugs, but that's more of a domestic issue.

And that's the problem. It's the argument I listed above, you are giving specific portions of your population rights that are not given to the rest.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Monikian WA Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Monikian WA Mission » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 am

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Oh but the zinger is that it only legalizes them for the religion's followers.

"Whether Bob uses drugs for the sake of using drugs, or Steve uses drugs because his sky-daddy tells him to is a NATIONAL issue and not the business of the WA. And for the record, in Monkiah all intoxicants are legal for adults regardless their reasons for using them. What is so hard to understand about this?"
All posts should be assumed to be IC unless I am using an OOC indicator.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

(An asterisk [*] {or exclamation point [!] at the beginning of a word} in Monikian Words indicates a clicking sound which is not easily translatable in the Latin alphabet)

some cool stuff

Morlago
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Morlago wrote:More like this is trying to legalise recreational drugs in the name of religion.

OOC: How hard do you think it is going to be for Addict Bob to join a religion where he can make love with his dear pot all day long?
Angelo Gervoski

Graph

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly