NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Passport Harmonisation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Which of these are you currently doing?

Naming you're firstborn son Edsel
5%
Spit Shining Your Reeboks
5%
Abusing the patio furniture
5%
Giving your gerbil a Rorschach test
18%
Cheering up a potato
10%
Buying a 1931 Almanac
3%
Listening for disguised non-satanic messages (e.g. "Be Nice to Your Mother") in Marilyn Manson songs
9%
Re-establishing the Roman Empire...in Pittsburgh
23%
Freeing the oppressed toasters of America
21%

Total votes : 91

Cobdenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Passport Harmonisation Act

Postby Cobdenia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Oi! You lot! Yes, you! And you with the face,

NOTING the potential security risks arising from being unable to accurately assess those entering and leaving a nation,

FURTHER NOTING that such a potential security risk may be exacerbated by the inability of relevant officials to guarantee the authenticity of a foreign passport,

BELIEVING that foreign nationals, excluding diplomatic and consular officers, should abide by the laws of the nation in which they are present, but nevertheless mindful of the variation in law and legal systems between nations,

1. DEFINES:
a) a "Passport" as a travel document issued by the nation of which the person is a citizen, national, or subject, identifying the bearer as being a citizen, etc., of that country;
b) a "Visa" as a document issued by a recieving nations allowing a foreign citizen entry into that nation, subject to terms and conditions (made clear to those wishing to aquire a visa).

2. MANDATES that all citizens carry a Passport issued by a relevant nation in which they hold citizenship or other citizen status, when travelling abroad, except where deemed unnecessary through the existence of bilateral and multilateral border control agreement, or when unilaterally declared unnecessary by the receiving nation,

3. PERMITS issuing nations to allow children under the age of majority, or a specific age that is lower than that of the age of majority, in the issuing country to travel on the passport of one or both of their parents, as necessary under national law,

4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features,

6. MANDATES that member states abide by the requirements laid down by the SWASTICA,

7. AFFIRMS that the passport entitles the holder to any of the consular services available from their nation's Embassies, Consulates, Consulates-General, High Commissions, Deputy High Commissions, Legations and other diplomatic missions as they may require,

8. ENSHRINES the right of foreign nationals carrying an appropriate passport to be visited by a consul of their nation when detained for legal reasons:
a) allows consuls to give the detainee legal advice, lists of approved barristers and/or solicitors, and guidance on the legal process of the nation in which they are detainedl;
b) in cases where there is no diplomatic or consular presence of the detainee's nation a consul of another nation may be substituted for a consul of the detainee's nation, where bilateral or multilateral agreements are in place for such a substitution;
c) diplomatic and consular officers are prohibited from interfering with the legal actions taken against a nation of the country they represent.

9. AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake, for reasons of medical quarantine, where their is reason to believe the terms of the visa are likely to be violated or if there is reason to believe the visa was obtained fraudulently

10. CALLS UPON all nations to recognise the passports of nationals of member states,

11. MANDATES the publication of all Passport appearances (including information about recognising counterfeits), to be made available to all relevant officials, including but not limited to: immigration officials, customs and excise officers, security personnel, and constables of the law.

Updating an oldy of mine, with changes made to de-UNify it and remove one of the objections made at the time it came to vote.

Please, let me know about spelling errors...
Last edited by Flibbleites on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Sir Cyril MacLehose-Strangways-Jones, GCRC, LOG
Permanent Representative of the Raj of Cobdenia to the World Assembly
Proud member of the Green Ink Brigade

New Leicestershire
Attaché

Founded: Mar 30, 2007
Capitalist Paradise

Re: Passport Harmonisation Act

Postby New Leicestershire » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Cobdenia wrote:1. DEFINES a "Passport" as a travel document issue by the nation of which the person is a citizen, national, or subject, identifying the bearer as being a citizen, etc., of that country,

Should be "issued"

2. MANDATES that all citizens carry a Passport issued by a relevant nation in which they hold citizenship or other citizen status, when travelling abroad, except where deemed unnecessary through the existence of bilateral and multilateral border control agreement, or when unilaterally declared unneccessary by the receiving nation,

Should be "unnecessary".

(SWASTICA)

:rofl:

11. MANDATES the publication of all Passport appearences (including information about recognising counterfeits), to be made available to all relevant officials, including but not limited to: immigration officials, customs and excise officers, security personnel, and constables of the law.

Should be "appearances".

You have a couple of articles missing a comma at the end. Otherwise it looks good. I don't see any legal or mechanical problems but I'll look it over more closely later.

Kaesekartoffeln
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaesekartoffeln » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm

I currently see no reason to not vote for this resolution other than it creating a WA agency called SWASTICA. Also, I suggest changing the "CALLS UPON" in Section 10 to something stronger.
"Whenever I see any one arguing for communism I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"-Abraham Lincoln, quote updated for 21st century NS.
Great Myths of the Great Depression
UCLA Study on New Deal

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't feel inclined to vote for a resolution that is simply a jest.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Kaesekartoffeln wrote:I currently see no reason to not vote for this resolution other than it creating a WA agency called SWASTICA. Also, I suggest changing the "CALLS UPON" in Section 10 to something stronger.

I probably won't submit it as swastica (which, in any case, I spelt incorrectly, because I could work out a way to slip a K in...).

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:44 pm

By reading the first line I already see a typo. It's the World Assembly not the World Assembled.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:45 pm

That's a stylistic manner of address that is quite common, and I happen to like, rather then a typo.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 pm

I know you're like super antiquity in comparison to me but that doesn't make any sense since not all nations are on the WA.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

South Wienda
Secretary

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South Wienda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 pm

Cobdenia wrote:4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

Possibly the World Assembly Standardised Association for Travel Safe-conduct and International Control. (WASATSFC). More benign.
Bergnovinaia wrote:I know you're like super antiquity in comparison to me but that doesn't make any sense since not all nations are on the WA.

So... why were all the other proposals passed?
I Took The Oath: UDL
Economic Left/Right: 4.38 ● Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64
~North Wiedna~

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:56 pm

South Wienda wrote:
Cobdenia wrote:4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

Possibly the World Assembly Standardised Association for Travel Safe-conduct and International Control. (WASATSFC). More benign.
Bergnovinaia wrote:I know you're like super antiquity in comparison to me but that doesn't make any sense since not all nations are on the WA.

So... why were all the other proposals passed?

No I'm just saying wording wise "to me" it doesn't make since for my reason. I'm sure that he has written good propsoal such as this one.

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:48 pm

9. AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake or for reasons of medical quarantine,

I have a bit of a concern here. Firstly, visas were never guarantees of being granted entry; that is always a decision made when you give your passport to the immigration officer and they look at you in that special immigration officer look designed to make you feel like you've done something terribly wrong. Secondly, visa can also mean that stamp that means the officer has decided you are not evil and are worthy of entry into their country - in other words, sometimes a visa is not granted until after a decision has been made at the border to allow entry, which somewhat defeats the wording. This entire section seems ripe for loopholes and/or exploitation.

Additionally, in the case of the ones where the embassy takes your passport for a few days and fobs off all your calls in the meantime, visas are typically issued for long periods of time, and circumstances might change between the issuance of the visa and the point at which the person actually uses it to request entry into a country. It could be a matter of the political situation or some policy change, and it would seem to be unfair to put in this sort of limitation. In fact, it might even make visas even harder to get if countries get really careful about issuing them.

We also feel SWASTICA is a highly awesome tribute to the tireless work of making committees less bloody stupid and demand its retention in the final text.

Domnonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 27, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Domnonia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Section 8 c. should be Reread and subsequently rewritten. The focus is on foreign nationals, though the text implies government level shenanigans.

Tjennewell
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tjennewell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 am

Aside from the rasher childish acronym of the proposed control association, Tjennewell isn't happy with this part of the act:

5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features,

With all the emphasis on the right of privacy (see pending legislation), we want the minimum requirements concerning our people's personal data on those passports to be set in stone and not at the whim of the SWASTICA.
Lord Aureion Silverfall
Archon of the Order of the Hand and Paw, Ambassador to the WA

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 am

Kelssek wrote:
9. AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake or for reasons of medical quarantine,

I have a bit of a concern here. Firstly, visas were never guarantees of being granted entry; that is always a decision made when you give your passport to the immigration officer and they look at you in that special immigration officer look designed to make you feel like you've done something terribly wrong. Secondly, visa can also mean that stamp that means the officer has decided you are not evil and are worthy of entry into their country - in other words, sometimes a visa is not granted until after a decision has been made at the border to allow entry, which somewhat defeats the wording. This entire section seems ripe for loopholes and/or exploitation.

Additionally, in the case of the ones where the embassy takes your passport for a few days and fobs off all your calls in the meantime, visas are typically issued for long periods of time, and circumstances might change between the issuance of the visa and the point at which the person actually uses it to request entry into a country. It could be a matter of the political situation or some policy change, and it would seem to be unfair to put in this sort of limitation. In fact, it might even make visas even harder to get if countries get really careful about issuing them.

We also feel SWASTICA is a highly awesome tribute to the tireless work of making committees less bloody stupid and demand its retention in the final text.

Yes, you're correct...the reason it is like this at the moment is largely for reasons of ensuring decent category match - i.e. making it do something. However, I will be adding a clause that permits refusal of entry if their are fears that the person is likely to violate the terms of the visa or obtained it fraudulently - e.g. if they have a tourist visa and you believe they are attempting to immigrate.

Section 8 c. should be Reread and subsequently rewritten. The focus is on foreign nationals, though the text implies government level shenanigans.

This is a guaratee to receiving nations, and needed more to placate fears of foreign interference in trials (ooc: there was a lot of "Wah!"-ing about the possibility of a quick flight home with a false name and passport for arrested nationals being one of the services that embassies offer)

With all the emphasis on the right of privacy (see pending legislation), we want the minimum requirements concerning our people's personal data on those passports to be set in stone and not at the whim of the SWASTICA.

OoC: Trust me...it's too bloody complicated. You have tech variations to worry about, species variation, aliens...getting a committee to sort it is a damn site easier, more practical, and in any case it will have to work in line with WA resolutions

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:39 am

This draft is plausible, honoured ambassador.

An agency called SWASTICA is a bit too obvious. In my opinion I would prefer Organization for the Organization of Passport Standards (OOPS). On a more serious note try Passport Design House (PDH).

For the title, I would prefer "The Harmony of Passports", inspired by the name of your previous resolution "The Law of the Sea".

As for the category: International Security, mild. The design of the passports are not as important as stopping terrorists in a radical way, but it is helping the cause to tackle terrorism.

Tjennewell
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tjennewell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:48 am

We support Madam Harper in the alternate names and acronyms for the new agency.

Also we like to point out that we still only will support this, if the goal of respecting people's privacy will be recognized by this draft as well. Perhaps one could add a line that the new agency is urged to only collect as few personal information as really is necessary for the process.
Last edited by Tjennewell on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Aureion Silverfall
Archon of the Order of the Hand and Paw, Ambassador to the WA

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 am

The forthcoming Right to Privacy resolution (GA #58) appears to cover this, honoured ambassador, but I see what you mean.

Resolution GA #58 wrote:4. OUTLAWS the use of espionage or covert surveillance programs performed without the knowledge of the citizens with the intent of monitoring citizens or acquiring their personal information unless authorized by law; also outlaws invasive searching of citizens by law enforcement without reasonable cause for suspicion.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:49 am

There is nothing in the resolution that says that SWASTICA collects any personal data - it just lays down rules for passports. The right to privacy resolution prevents nations from holding unneccessary amounts of data for this purpose already

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 am

Cobdenia wrote:That's a stylistic manner of address that is quite common, and I happen to like, rather then a typo.

(OOC: It's stupid, imo. This is the World Assembly, not the World Assembled, the People of the World Assembled, the Assembled World, the Assembled People of the World, or whatever other bastardization people make up in an effort to be 'unique'. In the end, all you're really doing is addressing a body that doesn't actually exist.

Anyways, if this doesn't get deleted for the committee name, I see no reason to not approve of it. But, uh.. with all the Nazism debacles, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the WA fails to understand that it's a joke...)
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 am

OoC: It's more a case that one addresses the nations, rather then the organisation. With the UN, the United Nations term was actually addressing the nations, but was grammatically correct. With the WA, World Assembly grammatically can only refer to the body, not to the actually countries as the World Assembly - hence world assembled

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:12 am

Cobdenia wrote:OoC: It's more a case that one addresses the nations, rather then the organisation. With the UN, the United Nations term was actually addressing the nations, but was grammatically correct. With the WA, World Assembly grammatically can only refer to the body, not to the actually countries as the World Assembly - hence world assembled

(OOC: But the body is made up of the nations. The World Assembly is an assembly of the world's nations, not a body in and of itself... It's not a big deal, but it is a big annoyance for me. Take from that what you want, I suppose.)

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:20 am

It would be simpler to simply say "The World Assembly", honoured ambassador. It's used widely.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:30 am

We'd like to quickly point out that "visa" isn't defined in the draft.

Other than that, we'd also like to point out that Section 8.c currently reads :
c) diplomatic and consular officers are prohibited from interfering with the legal actions taken against a nation of the country they represent.

We believe it was meant to be read :
c) diplomatic and consular officers are prohibited from interfering with the legal actions taken against a person of the country they represent.

We also feel that this is what the Honoured Ambassador from Domnonia was alluding to.
A. Parameswaran Nair,
Ambassador from Travancore-Cochin to the General Assembly.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:OOC: It's stupid, imo. This is the World Assembly, not the World Assembled, the People of the World Assembled, the Assembled World, the Assembled People of the World, or whatever other bastardization people make up in an effort to be 'unique'. In the end, all you're really doing is addressing a body that doesn't actually exist.

Anyways, if this doesn't get deleted for the committee name, I see no reason to not approve of it. But, uh.. with all the Nazism debacles, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the WA fails to understand that it's a joke...)

OOC: I say the "The World Assembly abroad," in the the Protection of Outer Space because I thought it would be freakin' silly to write a proposal about interstellar travel and empires, for the World Assembly.
Last edited by Unibot on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am

Unibot wrote:OOC: I say the "The World Assembly abroad," in the the Protection of Outer Space because I thought it would be freakin' silly to write a proposal about interstellar travel and empires, for the World Assembly.

(OOC: Not at all, man. It doesn't mean a single specific world! It's just habit for human beings to think that there's only one world out there...)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives