NATION

PASSWORD

Hand-Wheel Driving Act. (Abandoned, closed.)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 am

Dukopolious wrote:
The Left-Libertarian Hippies wrote:But, it is awful...i think that this is WAY too hard to enforce.

[OOC] I live in Ontario, Canada where this is a real rule, it stopped crash rates by somewhere between 20-30% :clap: It's pretty simple to enforce, all you really need to do is install some traffic cameras, or hire some cops to enforce it, also maybe run some ads on TV, or the Radio, etc. about how it's dangerous and how large the fine is. This is a great opportunity to create jobs for new cops, and as for the costs the fines will pay it off themselves.

I also edited it a bit.

Even still, this is micromanaging to the extreme, and your chosen category doesn't exist. This is an issue best worked out at a national or regional level. Opposed.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:57 am

Dukopolious wrote:Hand-Wheel Driving Act

NOTICE that large portions of driving accidents are due to not paying attention when driving.

Says who?

Dukopolious wrote:ENFORCE that driving must be limited to both hands on the wheel (No Cell phones, No Laptops, No Cigarettes, No Pagers, etc)

What about species with only one hand? Or more than two? Or none at all?

Dukopolious wrote:PREVENT future accidents by enforcing this to keep drivers focused on the road.

Aren't hands free cell phones etc equally distracting?

Dukopolious wrote:COLLECT huge fines which can go into anything your government wishes.

Why not let governments decide how this should be legislated on? Why make it a WA issue?

Dukopolious wrote:SAVE the lives of innocent children, pedestrians, bicyclists and other drivers.

Wonderful.

Category: Civil Law

Civil Law is not a category. The categories can be seen here.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 am

Why on Earth do we need the WA to dictate traffic laws?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 am

Seriously - no "civil law" category. Please, read the rules.

Flibbleites wrote:Why on Earth do we need the WA to dictate traffic laws?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

You suggested it. In our nation's humble, non-serious opinion, it should be duly implemented.

Patrick X
Janitor and Joker.
Last edited by Moronist Decisions on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 am

I've never heard of a car where your hands power the wheels. Could you post a pic?

Strength: Mild

Wrong Category and Strength. Should be Cat: Micromanaging, Strength: Super Strong

This is not necessary at an international level. You may have regional laws about it in where you live, but certainly you don't see the UN writing resolutions on road safety, do you?
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:46 am

Hiss! What kind of twaddle is this now? Really? Do we REALLY need the GA dictating driving policies? Does this august body have nothing better to do? Well, actually, it does and frankly, this steaming load of horse manure is best use as fertilizer.

This fails to account for oblivious pedestrians; motor cyclists, bicyclists - handle bars are not steering wheels - mopeds, wheel chairs, including the electric type, horse-riders, carriages, chariots, anthropomorphic sentient/sapient species of birds, vehicles with no steering wheels; etc. As if cars/trucks are the only ones with oblivious operators. This also fails to account for accidents caused by intoxication through the use various medicines, alcohol/spirits, narcotics. Then there are unpredictable weather conditions; gonna try and legislate weather? We could go on... Nyarf. But now this is just getting silly. *chitter*
We're a splinter nation; we believe in Meadowism. We're sapient Mustela Itatsi, distant cousins of the Mustela Erminea and the Mustela Nivalis who shunned the ways of the Meadow for their belligerent beliefs.

We're cheese-powered. So, surrender your cheese. Or else. Yeah... or else. We'll... uh... we'll do something.

Oh and meadows are totally awesome. We love meadows.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 am

I think the best advice I can offer here is that you spend some time reading existing resolutions. Look at what types of things are being targetted.

Then also take a look at how they are written, including style and formatting.

Read the rules, read everything.

Read it again.

And again.

Then look at the categories.

Then think of something that fits in a category...
Then try again.

I've made the mistake of writing before thinking about category and it's a pain in the bum to try and redraft it to fit.

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 am

This is absolutely and utterly intrusive, micromanaging and unnecessary. No.

Sophie Fournier, Delegate of Lavinium and Confederate WA Ambassador
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:

NOTICE that large portions of driving accidents are due to not paying attention when driving.

Says who?
:http://stop-the-damage.com/tag/driving-safety-technology/
http://www.rodale.com/cellphones-and-driving
http://www.dot.gov/affairs/DOT%20HS%20811%20184.pdf

Dukopolious wrote:ENFORCE that driving must be limited to both hands on the wheel (No Cell phones, No Laptops, No Cigarettes, No Pagers, etc)

What about species with only one hand? Or more than two? Or none at all?
Sorry I've never encountered a species without two ahnds that can legaly drive.

Dukopolious wrote:PREVENT future accidents by enforcing this to keep drivers focused on the road.

Aren't hands free cell phones etc equally distracting?
Less distracting, plus they don't have screens, and you can keep both hands on the wheel for better control
Dukopolious wrote:COLLECT huge fines which can go into anything your government wishes.

Why not let governments decide how this should be legislated on? Why make it a WA issue?
This effects every nation with cars and or Roads

Dukopolious wrote:SAVE the lives of innocent children, pedestrians, bicyclists and other drivers.

Wonderful.
I know right? :)

Civil Law is not a category. The categories can be seen here. Fixed, Thanks for the link :)
Last edited by Dukopolious on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:23 am

OK - very quick lesson. Not all nations are on Earth, and not all nations consist of humans.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Dukopolious
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 am

Morlago wrote:

I've never heard of a car where your hands power the wheels. Could you post a pic?

If you ahve a better sugegstion for the name that will ahve the appropriate amount of letters to fit, please tell me. :)

Dukopolious
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 am

Moronist Decisions wrote:OK - very quick lesson. Not all nations are on Earth, and not all nations consist of humans.

Well then nations withour people whom need hands to drive and have different methods of steering may coustomize the rules to fit thier standards.

This is for humans whom drive.

Dukopolious
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am

Arivali wrote:Hands free driving....? *rolls eyes* First off, you'd need a grammar check. Secondly, this is yet another national concern. I for one am not real big on protecting idiots from their own stupidity.

What about protecting normal innocent people from the stupidity of an idiot?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am

Dukopolious wrote:
Arivali wrote:Hands free driving....? *rolls eyes* First off, you'd need a grammar check. Secondly, this is yet another national concern. I for one am not real big on protecting idiots from their own stupidity.

What about protecting normal innocent people from the stupidity of an idiot?

Again, why does the WA need to be involved here?
If this is a problem as you say then it is safe to assume that most nations have laws preventing it or mitigating it.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:40 am

Dukopolious wrote:
Moronist Decisions wrote:OK - very quick lesson. Not all nations are on Earth, and not all nations consist of humans.

Well then nations withour people whom need hands to drive and have different methods of steering may coustomize the rules to fit thier standards.

This is for humans whom drive.

That won't work. Firstly it speaks to optionality. Second you aren't going to do well with any legislation that targets a species.
It also assumes a level of tech which may only be in a small number of nations.

You can draft stuff for vehicles, but you need to be aware that some vehicles are going to have no steering wheel at all. Some may be used by quadraplegics and this would infringe on their civil liberties. There may be technology to allow the blind to have cars where the car does all the work...

The list goes on and on.

Dukopolious
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm

You can TG me any sugegstions for improvement.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Dukopolious wrote:You can TG me any sugegstions for improvement.

Here's my suggestion, soak this in lighter fluid and apply a lit match.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Dukopolious wrote:You can TG me any sugegstions for improvement.

Here's my suggestion, soak this in lighter fluid and apply a lit match.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

And then place it in a trash bin. Only you can prevent forest fires and bad legislation!

Sophie Fournier etc.
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly