NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20716
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 am

Morlago wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
Morlago wrote:Hahahaha! Very funny! Maybe now you can write a proposal called "Realizing the tooth fairy exists"?

Do you have actual proof that she doesn't?

OOC: There's an issue about plagues of zombies...

Well, do you have any proof that she does exist?

OOC: They are both mythical creatures, so before long maybe the author of this draft will write proposals named "Making a Tooth Fairy Organization" or "Ban of Fairy Godmother Belief".

OOC: Some nations that were around here in the past had actual deities who manifested within the (as it was then) 'NSUN Headquarters', and compared to that, why not a 'Tooth Fairy'?
After all, there's actually nothing to keep anybody from creating a whole "nation" of 'Tooth Fairies', is there? *(resists temptation)*
Bah, you'll probably be saying that you don't believe in sapient Bears next!
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Flibbleites
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 6569
Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:After all, there's actually nothing to keep anybody from creating a whole "nation" of 'Tooth Fairies', is there? *(resists temptation)*

To be honest, I'm surprised nobody has yet.

User avatar
Meekinos
Diplomat
 
Posts: 776
Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:28 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:After all, there's actually nothing to keep anybody from creating a whole "nation" of 'Tooth Fairies', is there? *(resists temptation)*

To be honest, I'm surprised nobody has yet.

There probably is.

As for a nation of zombies, no one has considered our enquiry yet as to how this proposal would deal with nations that have zombie-only populations. After all, it's not too far fetched. We have a nation of sapient bears amongst other things in our ranks, or did at one point. It has also been pointed out that not all nations are controlled by humans.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

User avatar
The Palentine
Diplomat
 
Posts: 754
Founded: May 18, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby The Palentine » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:05 am

You do realize that this will most likely get deleted when you submit it.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

User avatar
Georgetpwn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 664
Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Georgetpwn » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 am

The Palentine wrote:You do realize that this will most likely get deleted when you submit it.


such as the Mad Sheep Railgun... :rofl:
The Republic of Hobbes City (exiled), exists within Georgetpwn
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 1
Defense Minister of Novus Licentia Terra
The Republic of Hobbes City, composed of:
The Hobbes City Holding State of Georgetpwn
The People's Republic of M1 Helmet
The Protectorate of The Republic of Lanos
The Colony of Suvree
The Pacific Territory of Ferdinando Marcos

User avatar
Stash Kroh
Envoy
 
Posts: 209
Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Stash Kroh » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:13 am

Ambassador Gliemann wiped a single tear running down her cheek,
" Mass Zombie Killing has been, I'm afraid already banned, I think... *sob* "

"As such you might want to take familarize yourself with GA Resolution #38 : Convention Against Genocide. Which inconveniently states in bold clear lettering for you...

1. (1) Genocide shall be defined as any act committed, or measure enacted, with the intent to destroy, in whole or partially, an identifiable group of persons on the basis of belief, ethnicity, nationality, culture, or a perceived innate characteristic, which for the purposes of this resolution shall include sexual orientation.

(2) Acts of genocide include, but are not limited to: killing or inflicting serious harm upon members of the group, creating living conditions for the group which tend to bring about its physical destruction, forcibly removing children from the group, or taking measures to prevent births within the group.

2. Member nations are prohibited from perpetrating acts of genocide, and must take action against non-state groups undertaking such activities whithin their borders.


The bolded part is your possible loophole. Is a zombie a person?

Or as its later states,
The final goal of action against genocide is to uphold the rights of sapient beings, and actions taken against genocide should be consistent with this higher goal.


Is a zombie a sapient being?

___________

Then there is the Charter of Civil Rights which clearly states,
c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination, except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers.


Is potential infection and cannibalism grounds for discrimination ? I don't know, in fact, thats a good point to bring up with its Author, particularly the potential infection part, which is actually a common source of discrimination and isolation in many cases. "
Ambassador Adelinda Gliemann
The Clockwork Forge of Stash Kroh
WA Security Council Liaison

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20716
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

Stash Kroh wrote:Then there is the Charter of Civil Rights which clearly states,
c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination, except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers.


Is potential infection and cannibalism grounds for discrimination ? I don't know, in fact, thats a good point to bring up with its Author, particularly the potential infection part, which is actually a common source of discrimination and isolation in many cases. "

OOC: Consider the clause that I've highlighted ("highlit"?), and its shortage of defined limitations...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Stash Kroh
Envoy
 
Posts: 209
Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Stash Kroh » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 am

OOC: True, true. I think this actually 'highlights' an interesting dilemma though. One can find numerous examples of people being adversely discriminated against because of medical conditions like leprosy, sexually transmitted diseases and dangerous flus even. But when does discrimination end and practical medical routines like compulsory isolation begin?
Last edited by Stash Kroh on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Adelinda Gliemann
The Clockwork Forge of Stash Kroh
WA Security Council Liaison

User avatar
Meekinos
Diplomat
 
Posts: 776
Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:50 am

Stash Kroh wrote:
1. (1) Genocide shall be defined as any act committed, or measure enacted, with the intent to destroy, in whole or partially, an identifiable group of persons on the basis of belief, ethnicity, nationality, culture, or a perceived innate characteristic, which for the purposes of this resolution shall include sexual orientation.

(2) Acts of genocide include, but are not limited to: killing or inflicting serious harm upon members of the group, creating living conditions for the group which tend to bring about its physical destruction, forcibly removing children from the group, or taking measures to prevent births within the group.

2. Member nations are prohibited from perpetrating acts of genocide, and must take action against non-state groups undertaking such activities whithin their borders.


The bolded part is your possible loophole. Is a zombie a person?

Or as its later states,
The final goal of action against genocide is to uphold the rights of sapient beings, and actions taken against genocide should be consistent with this higher goal.


Is a zombie a sapient being?

It could be. If we use the example of Bears Armed, a former member of the World Assembly but still active in the committee stage. They are noted as not being humans. They are bears. Previously they have stated that they are at minimum sapient beings; persons in a sense. If bears are granted this status, why shouldn't those who are Living Impaired (consulting the Meekinosian Capitalist Manifests suggests that the term zombie is racially derogatory and outdated and for practical reasons we should refer to these individuals as "Living Impaired"), be granted the same rights and protects as sapient bears, such as those who make up the clans that rule Bears Armed?
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 20716
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:51 am

Stash Kroh wrote:OOC: True, true. I think this actually 'highlights' an interesting dilemma though. One can find numerous examples of people being adversely discriminated against because of medical conditions like leprosy, sexually transmitted diseases and dangerous flus even. But when does discrimination end and practical medical routines like compulsory isolation begin?

OOC: As the CoCR desn't include any right of appeal to any WA tribunal (despite my advice during the drafting stage), that would seem to be a matter for the separate member-nations' courts to determine within their own jurisdictions...

Meekinos wrote:If we use the example of Bears Armed, a former member of the World Assembly but still active in the committee stage. They are noted as not being humans. They are bears. Previously they have stated that they are at minimum sapient beings; persons in a sense. If bears are granted this status, why shouldn't those who are Living Impaired (consulting the Meekinosian Capitalist Manifests suggests that the term zombie is racially derogatory and outdated and for practical reasons we should refer to these individuals as "Living Impaired"), be granted the same rights and protects as sapient bears, such as those who make up the clans that rule Bears Armed?

Maybe because we (usually) don't go around trying to devour other sapient beings? We object to this comparison!
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474.

User avatar
Meekinos
Diplomat
 
Posts: 776
Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Meekinos wrote:If we use the example of Bears Armed, a former member of the World Assembly but still active in the committee stage. They are noted as not being humans. They are bears. Previously they have stated that they are at minimum sapient beings; persons in a sense. If bears are granted this status, why shouldn't those who are Living Impaired (consulting the Meekinosian Capitalist Manifests suggests that the term zombie is racially derogatory and outdated and for practical reasons we should refer to these individuals as "Living Impaired"), be granted the same rights and protects as sapient bears, such as those who make up the clans that rule Bears Armed?

Maybe because we (usually) don't go around trying to devour other sapient beings? We object to this comparison!

We realise that, delegate. However, it is a fair comparison in that most would not typically consider bears to be of the sapient variety. For practical reasons we have used your nation to highlight this point. We are by no means suggesting your citizens would happily go devour other sapient beings.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

User avatar
Malikov
Minister
 
Posts: 2793
Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Protection Against Zombies

Postby Malikov » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:20 pm

O.K, this draft is to protect all non-zombies against zombies right? Well here's a grand idea, boost Military/Law and Order spending and relax gun laws. Problem solved.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Oktorna

Advertisement

Remove ads