NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: repeal nuclear arms possesion act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Ravineworld
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Proposal: repeal nuclear arms possesion act

Postby Ravineworld » Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#10

Proposed by: Ravineworld

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #10: Nuclear Arms Possession Act (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: NOTING that the WA aims for world peace and security,

BELIEVING that a nation doesn't need nuclear weapons to defend it's self,

CONCERNED that nuclear weapons will make war worse rather than better,

FURTHER CONCERNED that nuclear weapons will kill innocent civilians,

UNDERSTANDING that nuclear weapons cause widespread environmental damage,

FURTHER UNDERSTANDING that a nuclear war could cause apocalyptic damage to both nations involved and possibly others,

HEREBY repeals GA resolution #10
An explanation of the two party system in the US: Heads they win (republicans, the conservative corporate sellouts), Tails we (the people) lose (to the liberal corporate sell outs)
I am against war created by state. I am an anarcho-mutualist

Proud player of the great game of rugby!

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Thu May 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Okay, so this is a classic NAPA repeal case - you think that by repealing NAPA, you're banning nukes.

Wrong. NAPA simply ensures that right. Should NAPA be repealed, then WA nations would still have nukes. Legally.

Also, consider that non-WA nations can still have nukes. Shouldn't we be able to defend ourselves? Also consider that the WA has banned bio weapons and landmines; there have also been attempts to ban chemical weapons and cluster bombs. So WA nations are already far more constricted in how they can legally wage war.

Also, your arguments are rather weak: we know nukes kill people, we know they cause environmental damage, etc. We have to deal with that should we use them. But we need to be able to defend ourselves. And, you know, when it's my nation and people, or the polar bears, then the polar bears are going bye-bye.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm

BELIEVING that a nation doesn't need nuclear weapons to defend it's self,

I would tend to seriously disagree with your first point. The CDSP certainly feels the need to own nuclear weapons to defend itself from the myriad of WMD wielding non-WA nations we (I, while drinking) have angered through the years.

FURTHER CONCERNED that nuclear weapons will kill innocent civilians,

So can an assault rifle in an excited soldier's hands. So can an artillery piece that has recieved incorrect coordinates. Weapons are designed to kill. Would you ban all weapons incapable of differentiating between civilians and soldiers? Not particularly easy, I would imagine.

UNDERSTANDING that nuclear weapons cause widespread environmental damage,

So does heavy industry. We accept widespread environmental damage as the price to pay to be able to fight and win a war. We would rather live in a desolate wasteland then be dead in a tropical paradise.

We oppose this repeal. I would go as far to say that we vehemently oppose to the highest degree possible, except that a proposal as poorly written as this is certainly not worth the enegry to oppose that strongly. Instead: Meh.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu May 26, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu May 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Hooray. Another La-De-Daa touchy-feely "ban n00ks" repeal attempt.

Opposed. Completely. We don't care how much or how little you change it. Opposed. There is no need to repeal NAPA.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 pm

You are not banning nuclear weapons by repealing NAPA. Furthermore, I don't see why we'd ban them, either.
Robert Gatwick
Deputy Chief Representative
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Thu May 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Darenjo wrote:Okay, so this is a classic NAPA repeal case - you think that by repealing NAPA, you're banning nukes.

Wrong. NAPA simply ensures that right. Should NAPA be repealed, then WA nations would still have nukes. Legally.

Also, consider that non-WA nations can still have nukes. Shouldn't we be able to defend ourselves? Also consider that the WA has banned bio weapons and landmines; there have also been attempts to ban chemical weapons and cluster bombs. So WA nations are already far more constricted in how they can legally wage war.

Also, your arguments are rather weak: we know nukes kill people, we know they cause environmental damage, etc. We have to deal with that should we use them. But we need to be able to defend ourselves. And, you know, when it's my nation and people, or the polar bears, then the polar bears are going bye-bye.

Agreed, However, in the wake of this repiel, I wold invite the auther to join me in the drafting of a ban.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 pm

ALMF wrote:
Darenjo wrote:Okay, so this is a classic NAPA repeal case - you think that by repealing NAPA, you're banning nukes.

Agreed, However, in the wake of this repiel, I wold invite the auther to join me in the drafting of a ban.

you have to repeal NAPA first.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Thu May 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
ALMF wrote:Agreed, However, in the wake of this repiel, I wold invite the auther to join me in the drafting of a ban.

Exactly
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu May 26, 2011 4:55 pm

ALMF wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:you have to repeal NAPA first.

Exactly

...but thats what this is doing, and it isn't doing it well...in fact, this repeal has a snowball's chance in the center of hell's sun of passing...

NAPA is a solid piece of legislation that has stood up to far better repeal attempts then this. I see no reason to attempt to repeal it.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
ALMF wrote:Exactly

...but thats what this is doing, and it isn't doing it well...in fact, this repeal has a snowball's chance in the center of hell's sun of passing...

NAPA is a solid piece of legislation that has stood up to far better repeal attempts then this. I see no reason to attempt to repeal it.

We agree with Separatist Peoples' assessment.
Robert Gatwick
Deputy Chief Representative
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu May 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
ALMF wrote:Agreed, However, in the wake of this repiel, I wold invite the auther to join me in the drafting of a ban.

And it's fairly well known around there that should anyone ever actually manage to repeal the NAPA, I have a replacement ready to submit that not only protects a nation's right to possess nuclear weapons, it also protects a nation's right to use them.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:you have to repeal NAPA first.

And it's fairly well known around there that should anyone ever actually manage to repeal the NAPA, I have a replacement ready to submit that not only protects a nation's right to possess nuclear weapons, it also protects a nation's right to use them.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

well, then, thats it.

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the existence of the Nuclear Arms Possession Act,

ACKNOWLEDGING NAPA, as it is known, as a solid piece of legislation with no flaws,

AWARE that the nation behind NAPA, Flibbleites, has a replacement prepared in case of a repeal of NAPA,

CURIOUS as to what the replacement is,

HEREBY REPEALS the Nuclear Arms Possession Act so that the General Assembly can see its replacement in its full glory.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Ravvenark
Lobbyist

Founded: May 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravvenark » Thu May 26, 2011 7:03 pm

The Colony of Ravvenark opposes this proposal. Even if it does pass, not everyone is going to give up their nukes. And simply asking them to 'put 'em down' won't exactly work.
Ravvenark is a nation from the up and coming The Fecta Union. Ravvenark is also the WA delegate. The Fecta Union os looking for more nations to join! Preferably conservative, democratic, centrist, or capitalist countries. We also enjoy libertarian, pro-business governments.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Why would anyone repeal NAPA when we can just ban the manufacture, purchase, use, testing, storage, and development of nuclear weapons?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Bladezonia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bladezonia » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 am

I'm all in favour of this. Nuclear weapons seem to me as "unhonourable warfare." People should work to increase the power of their military, have ground battles, rather than fire highly destructive missles at each other turning both worlds into something akin to Fallout.

Bit of a stupid reason, but you know what? I'm like that.

Oppressorion
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oppressorion » Fri May 27, 2011 4:07 am

I'm so reminded of Superman IV (the one where he throws the world's nuclear weapons into the sun)

Wars...tend to hurt people. Hurting people in wars is OK by necessity. Bioweapons are banned because they cause unnecessary pain and long term harm, rather than because of their lethality.
Nuclear weapons do this as well, but that isn't the main point of the weapon (as I understand them). The main point of a nuke is to quickly destroy a target in a big bang- the radiation is an unfortunate side effect. Plus, nuclear weapons have actually helped RL world peace- why do you think the US and USSR never engaged in a long, bloody conventional war, which would have cost thousands of lives? Now, nuclear powers never war with eachother, because they're smart enough to know what would happen. Of course, nukes would still be bad in the wrong hands, such as unstable countries who don't care.
Imagine somthing like the Combine and Judge Dredd, with mind control.
My IC nation title is Oprusa, and I am human but not connected to Earth.
Do not dabble in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
Agnostic, humanist vegetarian. Also against abortion - you get all sorts here, don't you?
DEAT: Delete with Extreme, All-Encompassing Terror!

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Fri May 27, 2011 6:21 am

Linux and the X wrote:Why would anyone repeal NAPA when we can just ban the manufacture, purchase, use, testing, storage, and development of nuclear weapons?

Because that would contradict NAPA.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri May 27, 2011 6:24 am

The Minoan delegation will oppose any attempt to outlaw the use or possession of nuclear weapons. We feel that member countries should have the right to defence in the event that they are bullied militarily by rogue countries.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri May 27, 2011 11:29 am

The Emmerian Unions wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Why would anyone repeal NAPA when we can just ban the manufacture, purchase, use, testing, storage, and development of nuclear weapons?

Really? The only thing NAPA protects is the possession of nuclear arms. Notice that I carefully left that out of the ban list.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

Really? The only thing NAPA protects is the possession of nuclear arms. Notice that I carefully left that out of the ban list.

Storing could be considered possession.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Really? The only thing NAPA protects is the possession of nuclear arms. Notice that I carefully left that out of the ban list.

Actually, looking more closely, NAPA doesn't even protect possession. It protects a nation's right to decide if they want to. I have a right to decide if I want to go on a mass murder spree, for example, but if I decide I want to and go through with it, I still go to jail for a very long time.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Linux and the X wrote:

Actually, looking more closely, NAPA doesn't even protect possession. It protects a nation's right to decide if they want to. I have a right to decide if I want to go on a mass murder spree, for example, but if I decide I want to and go through with it, I still go to jail for a very long time.

Except it does...It specifically states that member nations have the right to possess nuclear arms, and states that they may possess these weapons for defense, which inherently includes the right to use them. If your suggesting what it sounds like, that continued legislation should be passed to limit the use of nuclear weaponry, I believe your going to run into far more resistance then you think.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri May 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Actually, looking more closely, NAPA doesn't even protect possession. It protects a nation's right to decide if they want to. I have a right to decide if I want to go on a mass murder spree, for example, but if I decide I want to and go through with it, I still go to jail for a very long time.

Except it does...It specifically states that member nations have the right to possess nuclear arms, and states that they may possess these weapons for defense, which inherently includes the right to use them. If your suggesting what it sounds like, that continued legislation should be passed to limit the use of nuclear weaponry, I believe your going to run into far more resistance then you think.

Actually, it specificalyl state that member nations have the right to decide if they want to possess nuclear arms. It mentions defence in the preamble, yes, but the preamble is typically considered legally irrelevant. In any case, the author admits that it does not protect the right of use.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Flibbleites

Description: REALIZING that WA members are outnumbered by non members by about 3 to 1,

ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that only WA members are required to comply with WA resolutions,

NOTICING the fact that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members,

REALIZING that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked,

1. DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Take a good long look at #1.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri May 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Flibbleites

Description: REALIZING that WA members are outnumbered by non members by about 3 to 1,

ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that only WA members are required to comply with WA resolutions,

NOTICING the fact that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members,

REALIZING that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked,

1. DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Take a good long look at #1.

I declare that I am legally permitted to kill you. Declarations are not automatically true.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly