NATION

PASSWORD

Protection of Technological Diversity

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Kuno Krugner, the photocopy boy and unofficial diplomat of Unibot decided to write his first proposal. On his mind while he wrote the proposal was the now-barbaric Unibot stuck in Arrested Development and a bizarre proposal on Chronological Securities being thrown around like a beachball in the lobby.

For convenience, he also had an editor edit out all of the excessive "like"'s that were common in his youthful diction.

Category:
Education & Creativity
Area of Effect:
Cultural Heritage
Author:
Stash Kroh (me)
The World Assembly,

Realizing that nations within the World Assembly create a spectrum of beliefs concerning technology,

Further Realizing that such a spectrum includes nations of Antimodernists, Anarcho-Primitivists, Neo-Luddites, Rainbow Gatherers, Technological Skeptics, Conspirators and frustrated / technically-challenged citizens,

Understanding that in recent years their involvement with the World Assembly has naturally forced these nations to make a choice between technological advancement or leaving the institution,

Severely Expressing the World Assembly’s objection to forcing technological and cultural reform in anti-modernistic nations,

Hereby

Declares that the World Assembly shall not impose regulations requiring technological advancement and/or reform within a nation’s borders.

Affirms the right of a nation to manage its borders, populace, industries and trade to effectively oust technological progression to any degree that a government sees fit.

Prohibits technological intrusion from outsiders in a nation that disapproves of such progression.

Encourages Antimodernistic nations to not use these freedoms to effectively isolate themselves, but instead bask in the international spotlight with their individuality on the world stage.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun May 24, 2009 8:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: Protection of Technological Diversity

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat May 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Quite nice to start with but it would be worth noting that the WA should be protecting technology like museums do. However, the WA should recognise as you said, the right for member states to determine their level of technology.

-- Sarah Harper.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Sat May 23, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Yep, I was wondering if this clause...

Affirms the right of a nation to manage its borders, populace, industries and trade to effectively oust technological progression to any degree that a government sees fit.

... would be illegal or not, considering the Freedom of Expression act?

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat May 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Unibot wrote:Declares that the World Assembly shall not impose regulations requiring technological advancement and/or reform within a nation’s borders.

What about the Anti-Abortion Act? Or... well, whatever it was called. What about the Stem Cell proposal? I think the Ambassador is going to eliminate more possibilities than he intends. Not to mention the draft itself may be illegal due to conflicting past resolutions.

On a tangent, however, I think the Ambassador may be aware that this proposal will most likely not reach quorom, and is using it in order to send a particular message.

Acknowledging this to be possible begs the question: "Was the Ambassador's generously offered re-draft of Chronological Securities (as you named it, by the by,) completely sarcastic?" I think not. Or I thought not. I tried to incorporate many of your points into my re-draft. If the Ambassador had read it and doesn't find it satisfactory I do not know why he couldn't express these concerns in the pre-created and appropriate thread.
Last edited by Absolvability on Sat May 23, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat May 23, 2009 1:03 pm

First, what is with this recent popularity of calling the World Assembly "the Assembled World", "the World Assembled", or anything other than "the World Assembly"?

Lastly, I don't think you'll get much support for this proposal. Blocking resolutions aren't the most popular in the General Assembly, especially when it forces us to take yet another level of political correctness, part of a slow campaign to force us to write our resolutions in a way that they don't actually force anyone to do anything.

Dr. Bradford Castro
Chief Ambassador, FAA
Regional Delegate, Jordia

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 23, 2009 1:08 pm

What about the Anti-Abortion Act? Or... well, whatever it was called. What about the Stem Cell proposal? I think the Ambassador is going to eliminate more possibilities than he intends. Not to mention the draft itself may be illegal due to conflicting past resolutions.

The act on Abortion was "like" neither pro-choice nor pro-life - and yes, a Stem Cell proposal would be effected, but surely nations that disagree with "like" such technological progression should be allowed to abstain from such business as Stem Cell Research?

Acknowledging this to be possible begs the question: "Was the Ambassador's generously offered re-draft of Chronological Securities (as you named it, by the by,) completely sarcastic?" I think not. Or I thought not. I tried to incorporate many of your points into my re-draft. If the Ambassador had read it and doesn't find it satisfactory I do not know why he couldn't express these concerns in the pre-created and appropriate thread.

I commend you, ambassador for your creativity with that particular proposal, and offered my draft of the concept because I thought it should shed some of the proposal's clichés. However after "like" careful observation I thought that a proposal to protect a nation's culture of technology would "like" seem just as effective and wouldn't carry the 'bizarreness' of such a proposal.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Glen Rhodes wrote:First, what is with this recent popularity of calling the World Assembly "the Assembled World", "the World Assembled", or anything other than "the World Assembly"?

An edit to the proposal has been "like"made, such a fad will no longer exist in my proposal! ;)

Lastly, I don't think you'll get much support for this proposal. Blocking resolutions aren't the most popular in the General Assembly, especially when it forces us to take yet another level of political correctness, part of a slow campaign to force us to write our resolutions in a way that they don't actually force anyone to do anything.

I can see a sovereignist's viewpoint being unpopular to those that "like" believe that nations should have to give up their culture in the name of a progressing world. I also think however that any group of internationalist nations that believes in such "like" potentially flawed logic, could do with a good ol' masstourism exodus to see the unmodernized world. These nations attempt to protect their way of life, and their "like" simplicity with little help from the World Assembly.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat May 23, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat May 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Unibot wrote:The act on Abortion was "like" neither pro-choice nor pro-life - and yes, a Stem Cell proposal would be effected, but surely nations that disagree with "like" such technological progression should be allowed to abstain from such business as Stem Cell Research?

Well, I think the Act was decidedly pro-life, but whatever. The point is that it heavily implemented 'awareness' classes, contraceptives, and technological advancements that might help reduce... EUREKA! That's what it was called; "Reduction of Abortion Act."

Perhaps nations should be able to abstain from Stem Cell Research. That is an opinion best left to vote, I think. And you are prohibiting such matters from being considered. I can't support that.

Unibot wrote:However after "like" careful observation I thought that a proposal to protect a nation's culture of technology would "like" seem just as effective and wouldn't carry the 'bizarreness' of such a proposal.

Culture of technology? Meh, I see what you're getting at Ambassador, and I don't like it. Technology is no more a part of culture than religion is a part of education. Which isn't to say that the word culture isn't broad enough to encompass technology... but to say that we have different words so that we may use them. Not so that we may obscure their definitions in the name of some warped sense of political correctness. At any rate... I find this proposal decidedly bizzare.
Antonius Veloci

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat May 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I offer an edit to one of the sections -

Declares that the World Assembly shall not impose regulations requiring technological advancement and/or reform within a nation’s borders so long as the health and safety of the citizens is not a concern.

Considering both abortion and stem cells are concerned with the health, and safety of citizens.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sat May 23, 2009 2:19 pm

It was you, Ambassador, who dubbed my Time Travel proposal to be "Chronological Securities." Do we not consider security to be akin to safety?

But, in all fairness, I should look beyond my own proposal and examine yours for what it is. Due to the change... I am no longer sure that it is illegal in any way, and have to tentatively support it pending further debate/consideration.
Antonius Veloci

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun May 24, 2009 6:51 am

Unibot wrote:I offer an edit to one of the sections -

Declares that the World Assembly shall not impose regulations requiring technological advancement and/or reform within a nation’s borders so long as the health and safety of the citizens is not a concern.

Considering both abortion and stem cells are concerned with the health, and safety of citizens.

So why wouldn't the people drafting pro-technology proposals simply claim that all such measures would improve the health &/or safety of 'citizens', thus making your sugegsted clause such a wide loophole that it would render the resolution effectively useless?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun May 24, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 24, 2009 9:12 am

Kuno smiled, "man, I was tired last night. Thank you ambassador, you'll find that that "like"clause has vanished into thin air. I've come to "like" the conclusion that the "Access of Life Saving Drugs" does not require nation's technological reform so long as such "like" nations have healthy citizens without the need of life saving drugs - therefore that "like" proposal is not requiring anything that might go against this clause, and the "reduction of abortion" act does not specify that the contraceptive (birth control) used be a pharmescutical - it could also be, an ancient herb like Silphium or Acacia Tree Bark and Honey , or some of my favorites... drinking mercury or tea brewed with beaver testicles, wearing a leather pouch containing a cat's liver on their left foot during intercourse and/or spitting in the mouth of a frog three times."
Last edited by Unibot on Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 24, 2009 9:34 am

Krugner continued, blabbing as usual, "oh, and that Stem Cell bill that's being "like" submitted only affirms the right to doctors to conduct "Stem Cell Research" - not "Stem Cell Harvesting" or "Stem Cell Implementation", just plain ol' "Stem Cell Research" which isn't "like" an 'advancement of technology' so much as an 'advancement of scientific knowledge'."

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Unibot wrote:or some of my favorites... drinking mercury or tea brewed with beaver testicles, wearing a leather pouch containing a cat's liver on their left foot during intercourse and/or spitting in the mouth of a frog three times."

These might not be your favorites anymore when/if the present Resolution at vote passes. Schools will begin teaching students that spitting into the mouth of a frog had nothing to do with human fertility. They'll also begin teaching that drinking mercury is most often fatal.

Unibot wrote:Krugner continued, blabbing as usual, "oh, and that Stem Cell bill that's being "like" submitted only affirms the right to doctors to conduct "Stem Cell Research" - not "Stem Cell Harvesting" or "Stem Cell Implementation", just plain ol' "Stem Cell Research" which isn't "like" an 'advancement of technology' so much as an 'advancement of scientific knowledge'."

Regardless of what the particular proposal may be called... or what it deals most directly with... you'll find, upon re-reading it, that it does indeed deal with harvesting and implementation. It leaves such choices to national sovereignty, but it does encourage certain things. Furthermore, some commments you made make me wonder if you think all research is done on a computer?
Antonius Veloci

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 24, 2009 6:06 pm

[url]Regardless of what the particular proposal may be called... or what it deals most directly with... you'll find, upon re-reading it, that it does indeed deal with harvesting and implementation. It leaves such choices to national sovereignty, but it does encourage certain things. Furthermore, some commments you made make me wonder if you think all research is done on a computer?[/url]

Kuno shook his head, "Actually ambassador, you'll "like" find what that proposal leaves up to national sovereignty is in fact "like" everything but the right secured to doctors to research stem cells ~ that is if those doctors even want to. Also there was no documented definition of "Research" in the act, and a doctor may find it hard to "like" research something in practice if the only thing he has available is "like" a textbook on the subject - but its still research."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly