NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Firearms and Intl Travel

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 am

Section II, subclause 1 - I would prefer to see Ms. Harper's wording restored, please.

b. Notify any and all relevant security, such as airline security, national security, security traveling with them, customs and borders, etc., that they possess firearms in their luggage;

All security? So every single security agent I bump into? I would probably devolve this to national governments, viz:

Notify all security personnel as designated by the nation of departure and the nation of arrival.

c. Ensure that they are in conformance with any and all relevant national and/or international laws regarding firearms;

What nations? I would prefer to say "all international laws as well as the laws of the nation of departure and the nation of arrival"

3. Authorized security personnel, including but not limited to airline security, personal bodyguards for high-level government officials, anti-terrorism agents, and captains and crews of boats;

Authorized by whom? Can I send to a neighboring country "authorized security personnel" guns blazing? (I understand the purpose, but figured it needed clarification. I suggest that both nations need to authorize this.

Looks like a decent start, but some of the little niggles need to be worked out.

Joe Smyslow
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:00 am

1. No civilian, when in the process of traveling from a Nation of Departure to a different Nation of Arrival, is allowed to carry a firearm(s) on their person or in carry-on luggage;

The phrase underline could be gobbled up into a single word "internationally". ;)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 am

Wouldn't the 'Sky Marshals' whom some nations deploy for security against hijackers usually be civilians rather than military personnel, and therefore be restricted by this proposed resolution even in cases where the nation of departure & nation of arrival were both willing to let them travel armed? For that matter, what about cases where the nations concerned would consent to having members of the plane's actual crew armed for security purposes?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am

Overall I can not find much to object to in this proposal. I am mildly concerned that nations which may be transitional stops between departure and arrival may not be fully dealt with.

If the passenger boards at nation A, changes planes in nation B, and travles on to Nation C (their destination), how would this act affect nation B who may have a complete ban on firearms on their soil?

I'm also mildly concerned that this only affects firearms, and it is therefor not extended to rail guns or laser weapons.

To state openly Cerberion is not in favor of any gun control within it's borders for it's own citizens. We do not however allow them to travel abroad with weaponry of any kind, or allow members of other nations to possess weapons on Cerberion territory.

The Holy Cermon T. Dawg
Voice of the House of Cerberion
Secundus of the 24th Day Dawgists

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:Wouldn't the 'Sky Marshals' whom some nations deploy for security against hijackers usually be civilians rather than military personnel, and therefore be restricted by this proposed resolution even in cases where the nation of departure & nation of arrival were both willing to let them travel armed? For that matter, what about cases where the nations concerned would consent to having members of the plane's actual crew armed for security purposes?

I'm pretty sure that the "Sky Marshals" are allowed to have firearms, seeing as the proposal EXEMPTS them from the restrictions. (I assume that "Sky Marshals" would fall under "anti-terrorism agents". Apparently so do you.)

To your point about aircraft crews, I can add that in if you wish.

Cerberion wrote:Overall I can not find much to object to in this proposal. I am mildly concerned that nations which may be transitional stops between departure and arrival may not be fully dealt with.

If the passenger boards at nation A, changes planes in nation B, and travles on to Nation C (their destination), how would this act affect nation B who may have a complete ban on firearms on their soil?

I'm also mildly concerned that this only affects firearms, and it is therefor not extended to rail guns or laser weapons.

To state openly Cerberion is not in favor of any gun control within it's borders for it's own citizens. We do not however allow them to travel abroad with weaponry of any kind, or allow members of other nations to possess weapons on Cerberion territory.

The Holy Cermon T. Dawg

To your first point, then said passenger would not be able to have any firearms with him/her at all during the trip, as Nation B has outlawed civilian usage of firearms, unless, of course, said passenger is on the list of exempted people detailed in Section IV.

OOC: I intended for "firearms" (and sorry for the OOC reply but it's the only way I can work this out in my head) to cover all types of gun-like weapons. The term "gun" was too close to RL usage, so I used "firearms" to include FT weapons as well, such as lasers/plasma weapons. I'm not aware that any nation RPs with a handheld rail gun though...
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Cerberion
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 am

Darenjo wrote:
Cerberion wrote:Overall I can not find much to object to in this proposal. I am mildly concerned that nations which may be transitional stops between departure and arrival may not be fully dealt with.

The Holy Cermon T. Dawg

To your first point, then said passenger would not be able to have any firearms with him/her at all during the trip, as Nation B has outlawed civilian usage of firearms, unless, of course, said passenger is on the list of exempted people detailed in Section IV.

OOC: I intended for "firearms" (and sorry for the OOC reply but it's the only way I can work this out in my head) to cover all types of gun-like weapons. The term "gun" was too close to RL usage, so I used "firearms" to include FT weapons as well, such as lasers/plasma weapons. I'm not aware that any nation RPs with a handheld rail gun though...

We thank you for your kind clarification of my first point.

OOC: Is there already a definition of firearm and the weapons it contains within it's definition? To me a firearm relies entirely on a propellant such as gun powder, cordite, or some other explosive medium. As for hand held rail guns, it's only a matter of time :)

The Holy Cermon T. Dawg

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am

Cerberion wrote:
Darenjo wrote:

We thank you for your kind clarification of my first point.

OOC: Is there already a definition of firearm and the weapons it contains within it's definition? To me a firearm relies entirely on a propellant such as gun powder, cordite, or some other explosive medium. As for hand held rail guns, it's only a matter of time :)

The Holy Cermon T. Dawg

OOC: Hmm...that's a good question...I need time to think on that one.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Yakana
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yakana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Darenjo wrote:

Couldn't this be cleared up by defining any weapon for the sake of this document that discharges a gun?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Yakana wrote:
Darenjo wrote:

Couldn't this be cleared up by defining any weapon for the sake of this document that discharges a gun?

A weapon that discharges a gun, huh? Sounds like one of them Russian dolls that fit inside each other.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Yakana wrote:Couldn't this be cleared up by defining any weapon for the sake of this document that discharges a gun?

A weapon that discharges a gun, huh? Sounds like one of them Russian dolls that fit inside each other.

I think he meant that any weapon that discharges would he considered a gun.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure if it would work.

Yakana
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yakana » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:

Haha yes. My apologises. Should be stated "[...]that discharges is a gun".

Darenjo wrote:It's interesting, but I'm not sure if it would work.

I guess that a cannon would 'discharge' but we wouldn't want those on a plane either. :/

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Yakana wrote:
Darenjo wrote:

Haha yes. My apologises. Should be stated "[...]that discharges is a gun".

Darenjo wrote:It's interesting, but I'm not sure if it would work.

I guess that a cannon would 'discharge' but we wouldn't want those on a plane either. :/

I would love to see somebody try to get a cannon onto an aircraft without having to pay through the nose on overweight luggage fees.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:38 am

1. No civilian, when in the process of traveling from a Nation of Departure to a different Nation of Arrival, is allowed to carry a firearm(s) on their person or in carry-on luggage;

I hope the honoured ambassador from Darenjo did not miss our previous comment but where underlined the phrase could be simplified to a single word "internationally", therefore making the clause look like this, along with wordiness improvements:
1. No individual may carry firearm(s) on their person or in non-check-in luggage, when traveling internationally;

and
2. Individuals must pack firearms in their check-in luggage when traveling internationally, but only if they meet any and all requirements and/or restrictions regarding firearms possession and/or usage from any and all Nation(s) of Departure and Nation(s) of Arrival;

I hope that it will work towards making the draft sound better.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

I made a similar suggestion in a different proposal but perhaps something like this could be added.

For the purpose of this resolution a firearm is defined as a device which discharges either a projectile or burst of directed energy and is primarily designed for the function of maiming or fatally wounding a multi-cellular biological organism.

That's the best catchall I can come up with.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 am

Darenjo wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Wouldn't the 'Sky Marshals' whom some nations deploy for security against hijackers usually be civilians rather than military personnel, and therefore be restricted by this proposed resolution even in cases where the nation of departure & nation of arrival were both willing to let them travel armed? For that matter, what about cases where the nations concerned would consent to having members of the plane's actual crew armed for security purposes?

I'm pretty sure that the "Sky Marshals" are allowed to have firearms, seeing as the proposal EXEMPTS them from the restrictions. (I assume that "Sky Marshals" would fall under "anti-terrorism agents". Apparently so do you.)

Yes, please.
(Oops! I'd missed the exemption that would already cover Sky Marshals...)

Darenjo wrote:OOC: I intended for "firearms" (and sorry for the OOC reply but it's the only way I can work this out in my head) to cover all types of gun-like weapons. The term "gun" was too close to RL usage, so I used "firearms" to include FT weapons as well, such as lasers/plasma weapons. I'm not aware that any nation RPs with a handheld rail gun though...

OOC: I am aware of a nation that does so, although they actually call those weapons "linear muskets" instead, but as far as I know they don't have anything to do with the WA...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

I hope the honoured ambassador from Darenjo did not miss our previous comment but where underlined the phrase could be simplified to a single word "internationally", therefore making the clause look like this, along with wordiness improvements:
1. No individual may carry firearm(s) on their person or in non-check-in luggage, when traveling internationally;

and
2. Individuals must pack firearms in their check-in luggage when traveling internationally, but only if they meet any and all requirements and/or restrictions regarding firearms possession and/or usage from any and all Nation(s) of Departure and Nation(s) of Arrival;

I hope that it will work towards making the draft sound better.

Fixed. :)
I kept the term "carry-on luggage" because, at least, in Darenjo, all luggage must be checked in, but only some types (like purses or satchels or laptop cases) are allowed to stay with the passenger.

Bears Armed wrote:
Darenjo wrote:

Yes, please.

And done.

By the way, any thoughts on Section III?

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:Section II, subclause 1 - I would prefer to see Ms. Harper's wording restored, please.

b. Notify any and all relevant security, such as airline security, national security, security traveling with them, customs and borders, etc., that they possess firearms in their luggage;

All security? So every single security agent I bump into? I would probably devolve this to national governments, viz:

Notify all security personnel as designated by the nation of departure and the nation of arrival.

c. Ensure that they are in conformance with any and all relevant national and/or international laws regarding firearms;

What nations? I would prefer to say "all international laws as well as the laws of the nation of departure and the nation of arrival"

3. Authorized security personnel, including but not limited to airline security, personal bodyguards for high-level government officials, anti-terrorism agents, and captains and crews of boats;

Authorized by whom? Can I send to a neighboring country "authorized security personnel" guns blazing? (I understand the purpose, but figured it needed clarification. I suggest that both nations need to authorize this.

Looks like a decent start, but some of the little niggles need to be worked out.

Joe Smyslow

For the first one, would the term "security apparatuses" work?

For the second one, it says "relevant" national laws, so if you're not going to enter a nation its gun laws, logically, wouldn't matter in regards to your trip.

For the third one, I'll do that.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Starkana wrote:should minors be allowed to possess deadly firearms?

The entire concept of minority is bullshit, so yes, those you call "minors" should be allowed to possess whatever firearms they want, deadly or not.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Starkana wrote:should minors be allowed to possess deadly firearms?

The entire concept of minority is bullshit, so yes, those you call "minors" should be allowed to possess whatever firearms they want, deadly or not.

Eh, doesn't matter with the proposal anymore. All the stuff about minors has been taken out.

Yakana
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yakana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Shouldn't citizens be required to notify check-in agents prior to handing over their bag? Furthermore it should then be the airlines responsibility to notify appropriate law enforcement/security about the checked weapon, not the person. Going up to each security officer and saying "I haz gun!" won't turn out great.

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Yakana wrote:

Shouldn't citizens be required to notify check-in agents prior to handing over their bag? Furthermore it should then be the airlines responsibility to notify appropriate law enforcement/security about the checked weapon, not the person. Going up to each security officer and saying "I haz gun!" won't turn out great.

Yeah having notice prior to would be good...

I don't think it's legal to make airlines notify all the others - the "Gun Control" category, as said in Ard's ruling made recently on the proposal (OOC: go back a page) is for the regulation of individual ownership of guns.

So - prior notification: good (OOC: I'll add it in when I'm not on my iPod and on a computer instead); making airlines tell nations about guns on planes - not so good;

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:33 am

Darenjo wrote:[
Bears Armed wrote:Yes, please.

And done.

"Hr'rmm, I see that that clause is actually "including, but not limited to" the listed categories of people, so that others could be allowed as well by the nations involved, but maybeso it would be simpler to replace "boats and airplanes" with "vehicles" so that other forms of international transport -- from stagecoaches to starships, for example -- would explicitly be covered too?
"Also, could those captains and crews be allowed weaponry for repelling not only terrorists but pirates as well?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:25 am

The standard system that Cobdenia uses for firearms aboard ship is that their is an armoury aboard most merchant ships containing several firearms (usually enough revolvers for the officers, but occasionally this includes rifles) to which only the captain has access and from which he can issue weapons to personnel in case of piracy, mutiny and, on cruise ships, fat people wearing spandex.

I'm also not certain this is particularly necessary as a resolution - if your country allows firearms on planes but the nation you arrive at doesn't, it rather strikes me as your own silly fault if you end up in prison. If it's the other way around, well, no worries as there'll be no guns allowed on the 'plane in the first place.

Perhaps it would be best to examine the international transport of hazardous materials more broadly (I have realised that Resolution 34 doesn't cover this) and regulate on such?
Sir Cyril MacLehose-Strangways-Jones, GCRC, LOG
Permanent Representative of the Raj of Cobdenia to the World Assembly
Proud member of the Green Ink Brigade

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Darenjo wrote:[

And done.

"Hr'rmm, I see that that clause is actually "including, but not limited to" the listed categories of people, so that others could be allowed as well by the nations involved, but maybeso it would be simpler to replace "boats and airplanes" with "vehicles" so that other forms of international transport -- from stagecoaches to starships, for example -- would explicitly be covered too?
"Also, could those captains and crews be allowed weaponry for repelling not only terrorists but pirates as well?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

Great idea. Thanks.

EDIT: Changing it to just "vehicles" would exempt everyone in a car. I can't think of something of the top of my head, so I'll just have to think of stuff. If you think of anything, let me know.

Okay, so with Yakana's idea, I'll try adding "any and all security agents directly involved with the trip, such as [blah blah blah]". We'll see how that works out.

@Cobdenia: On the other hand, we don't really want any tourists-gone-terrorists at customs, do we now? Also, I doubt firearms would be classified as a "hazardous material".

On the note of firearms, guess what:
WE DON'T HAVE TO INCLUDE A DEFINITION!!! :lol:

I asked the Mods about it, and Ard told me that, due to the "good faith" rule and the Reasonable Nation Theory, we shouldn't have to add a definition to "firearm." I am very, very happy.

Ard's Response:

Since it's in the category name, "gun" covers whatever each WA nation understands by the term "gun". So, given that WA members are supposed to interpret WA resolutions in good faith, you're probably going to cover more with "gun" than with any more detailed definition. "Firearm" seems general enough to convey that you mean weapons that aren't primarily intended to slice or stab.

There will always be nations that will have their legislatures "define the terms 'gun' and 'firearm', as used in WA#Whatever, to mean 'strawberry' ". There are also always going to be nations that vote against a given proposal because in their opinion it doesn't define a term adequately. At some stage, you just have to cut your losses and go with what will make sense to a reasonable reader/nation.

EDIT: Also, I won't have internet access for the next week or so; just a heads-up.
Last edited by Darenjo on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm pleased about the "gun" clarification. Moving to that is definately more confortable for my nation as firearm was so very specific.

I think overall I'm going to support this when it hits the floor. I certainly can't think of a good reason to oppose it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly