NATION

PASSWORD

(SUBMITTED) Defense of Life Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

When should elective abortion be legal? (excluding rape, incest, fetal defects, etc.)

Never
31%
1st trimester
11%
1st & 2nd trimesters
10%
Always
48%

Total votes : 291

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:No, I'm not kidding. There's no real reason for that clause to even exist. Without it, the proposal is perfectly legal and accomplishes the same thing it would if the clause were to remain. It's an unnecessary redundancy placed in the proposal to pacify illegitimate concerns that unfortunately accomplishes the opposite of what it desired to achieve.

And none of this has to do with CoCR. Anyways, what nearly everybody seems to forget when claiming CoCR covers everything under the sun is that it provides exemptions for numerous things. For instance, the discrimination has to be based on an 'arbitrarily and reductive categorization.' Then there's the whole 'compelling practical purposes' bit. A clause in a resolution about human abortion saying it only applies to humans is not arbitrary and reductive, and such 'discrimination,' if you want to call it that, has a purpose that is both compelling and practical.

Whatever happened to just arguing against the merits of a resolution, rather than trying to get it removed from the queue entirely?

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:I was wrong. The point isn't moot. The final clause stating the proposal only applies to humans puts it in violation of CoCR provision 2)a. It unfairly discriminates against members of Homo sapiens by placing racially-based restrictions on access to a public service in nations where abortions are legalized in a less restrictive manner than the methods outlined herein. So, yes, that clause makes this proposal illegal, whether others agree with me on the concept of optionality or not.

As a result of this point in conjunction with the arguments being brought up by both sides, and the optionality issue, the proposal is being removed pending a review of the legality issues surrounding this proposal. It's clear a proper ruling is needed. The best way to achieve it is to remove this from queue and allow the Moderators time to deliberate over the proposal at this time.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Homo sapiens isn't a race.

That's arguable, depending on whether one wishes to use the real life or roleplay based definitions of the word (and for once it might be reasonable to use the latter, though that could be a stretch); however, it's still an "arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination", which is illegal for the same reason and under the exact same clause of CoCR.

well, do you define a species as a race? Because homo sapiens is a species, whereas, say, Indian would be a race.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Makes sense, if this resolution could be applied to more species than just humans, it ought to be.. instead of just narrowing and arbitrarily attributing it to humans. That's the difference between Female Genitalia Mutilation and this act, FGM doesn't state anywhere that it couldn't be applied to other species where the genitalia is the same, it's just assumed that because the genitalia described in the resolution is different from a fish's whatever, that a school of sentient fish won't have to work very hard to comply with FGM's standards because of the obvious biological differences. Biological and arbitrary categorizations are two different things in this instance.

I'd also like to point out that the resolution states "REQUIRES member states to recognize a fetus' personhood before or during the 24th week of pregnancy, ", which seems to promote inconsistency in law -- and I think it ought to be ruled as an optionality violation because the difference between the two dictates two different category strengths according to the preambles' conclusions.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:I was wrong. The point isn't moot. The final clause stating the proposal only applies to humans puts it in violation of CoCR provision 2)a. It unfairly discriminates against members of Homo sapiens by placing racially-based restrictions on access to a public service in nations where abortions are legalized in a less restrictive manner than the methods outlined herein. So, yes, that clause makes this proposal illegal, whether others agree with me on the concept of optionality or not.

This is entirely correct, an entire species cannot be deprived of the facility legally secured to them of obtaining a medical procedure simply because they happen to be of that species.

The CoCR clearly makes it illegal to unfairly discriminate in this fashion, after all why should non-humans be able to obtain abortions or terminations of their pregnancies even up to full term while humans are not? Or for that matter why should human offspring be given personhood at some arbitrarily designated point prior to birth while non-human offspring remain without personhood until birth?

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Unibot wrote:Makes sense, if this resolution could be applied to more species than just humans, it ought to be.. instead of just narrowing and arbitrarily attributing it to humans. That's the difference between Female Genitalia Mutilation and this act, FGM doesn't state anywhere that it couldn't be applied to other species where the genitalia is the same, it's just assumed that because the genitalia described in the resolution is different from a fish's whatever, that a school of sentient fish won't have to work very hard to comply with FGM's standards because of the obvious biological differences. Biological and arbitrary categorizations are two different things in this instance.
I agree. I think it should be changed so that the Resolution states that it applies to ALL species where it is physically possible.

I'd also like to point out that the resolution states "REQUIRES member states to recognize a fetus' personhood before or during the 24th week of pregnancy, ", which seems to promote inconsistency in law -- and I think it ought to be ruled as an optionality violation because the difference between the two dictates two different category strengths according to the preambles' conclusions.
Good catch. :p yeah, needs changing.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:well, do you define a species as a race? Because homo sapiens is a species, whereas, say, Indian would be a race.

Not to mention 'Endangered Species Protections' gives legal protection to certain species above others. That must be in violation of CoCR; it only helps species of certain socioeconomic status. In fact, the entire resolution is predicated upon the betterment of 'humans.' What about Right to Privacy? It begins by talking about 'human beings.' Ban on Slavery and Trafficking is all about 'human trafficking.' Can we please just get over this obsession?

Furthermore, the idea that limiting regulations on a medical procedure performed on human beings to applying to only human beings is 'arbitrary' or 'reductive' is just seriously the most jump-the-shark moment I've seen in my entire time playing this game. The fact that the proposal, even though it's horrible and I would never vote for it, was preemptively deleted because mods think this question needs to be further address is.. it's pretty much beyond description. The CoCR doesn't apply to species. Treating species differently is necessary. But even besides that, nobody should be expected to craft their resolution around whatever fantastical creatures a few people imagine.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote: I agree. I think it should be changed so that the Resolution states that it applies to ALL species where it is physically possible.

Though in fact there is absolutely no need to mention species at all in the resolution. That it continues to be discriminatory to child bearing persons, in humans that being the female, is we feel insurmountable and makes the entire purpose of the resolution illegal in our opinion.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Urgench wrote:Though in fact there is absolutely no need to mention species at all in the resolution. That it continues to be discriminatory to child bearing persons, in humans that being the female, is we feel insurmountable and makes the entire purpose of the resolution illegal in our opinion.

The CoCR in no way makes regulations specifically targeted towards pregnant females illegal.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:well, do you define a species as a race? Because homo sapiens is a species, whereas, say, Indian would be a race.

Not to mention 'Endangered Species Protections' gives legal protection to certain species above others. That must be in violation of CoCR; it only helps species of certain socioeconomic status. In fact, the entire resolution is predicated upon the betterment of 'humans.' What about Right to Privacy? It begins by talking about 'human beings.' Ban on Slavery and Trafficking is all about 'human trafficking.' Can we please just get over this obsession?

Furthermore, the idea that limiting regulations on a medical procedure performed on human beings to applying to only human beings is 'arbitrary' or 'reductive' is just seriously the most jump-the-shark moment I've seen in my entire time playing this game. The fact that the proposal, even though it's horrible and I would never vote for it, was preemptively deleted because mods think this question needs to be further address is.. it's pretty much beyond description. The CoCR doesn't apply to species. Treating species differently is necessary. But even besides that, nobody should be expected to craft their resolution around whatever fantastical creatures a few people imagine.

The CoCR absolutely does apply to species, however it seems a confusion is arising as to how it applies to species. It applies only where a species is unfairly discriminated against by a law or action.

Since none of the resolutions you mention unfairly discriminate against any species they do not conflict with the CoCR.

We agree with historical rulings on the part of the secretariat that for most purposes "human" may be read as "person" and that there is no conflict inherent in purely mentioning "human" or variants thereof.

We do think that the specification of "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" however is a conflict with the CoCR since it clearly deprives a single taxonomically described species of rights which other species continue to have, in this context.

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Urgench wrote:Though in fact there is absolutely no need to mention species at all in the resolution. That it continues to be discriminatory to child bearing persons, in humans that being the female, is we feel insurmountable and makes the entire purpose of the resolution illegal in our opinion.

The CoCR in no way makes regulations specifically targeted towards pregnant females illegal.

It does if those regulations unfairly discriminate against pregnant females, as is the case in this instance, but of course the CoCR does not prevent fair regulations of any variety of situations and persons.

Yours,

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Urgench wrote:We do think that the specification of "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" however is a conflict with the CoCR since it clearly deprives a single species of rights which other species continue to have, in this context.

This resolution isn't depriving a species of rights. It's regulating a medical procedure as it is performed on a certain gender of a certain species. If that is not a 'compelling practical purpose,' I don't know what is. Certainly, other fantastical species have completely different reproductive systems, so attempting to regulate all of them under the same law is entirely impractical.

Urgench wrote:It does if those regulations unfairly discriminate against pregnant females, as is the case in this instance, but of course the CoCR does not prevent fair regulations of any variety of situations and persons.

Pregnancy is not an arbitrary or reductive categorization. It is a state that any person can enter into. Special laws regarding pregnant people would apply to all pregnant people. That's what equality before the law is. The CoCR does not make all person equal in all ways.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Furthermore, the idea that limiting regulations on a medical procedure performed on human beings to applying to only human beings is 'arbitrary' or 'reductive' is just seriously the most jump-the-shark moment I've seen in my entire time playing this game. The fact that the proposal, even though it's horrible and I would never vote for it, was preemptively deleted because mods think this question needs to be further address is.. it's pretty much beyond description. The CoCR doesn't apply to species. Treating species differently is necessary. But even besides that, nobody should be expected to craft their resolution around whatever fantastical creatures a few people imagine.

Nah, you just shouldn't have a clause that declares the proposal as being reduced to applying only to one species or a group of species. You should let the proposal's mandates speak for itself, if a species won't be biologically applicable for the requirements of the resolution, they won't be, and the compliance commission will recognize this.

It's like if I put this into a resolution >>> "AFFIRMS this resolution only applies to tortoises. "

.. why should tortoises be treated differently then camels, sentient lollipops or humans... unless there is an obvious reason like the resolution's mandates could only be biologically relevant to an reptile .. in which case the resolution's mandates will only apply to reptiles... and need no affirmation of the latter ilk which discriminates against other types of reptiles for no apparent reason.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:01 pm

The proposal currently is in limbo and, for the meantime, suspended.

The Moderators wrote:
Your proposal Beginning of Life Act has been removed as a result of legality issues, namely the one over a conflict with CoCR. While the mods review your proposal, we request that in the interim, you not submit it to queue, so we can provide you with a better, more thorough ruling in order to assist you in your drafting. We will be looking at the current issues that have been brought up.

You are free to in the meanwhile to revise it and otherwise continue the discussion that you have going on in the forum.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Urgench wrote:We do think that the specification of "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" however is a conflict with the CoCR since it clearly deprives a single species of rights which other species continue to have, in this context.

This resolution isn't depriving a species of rights. It's regulating a medical procedure as it is performed on a certain gender of a certain species. If that is not a 'compelling practical purpose,' I don't know what is. Certainly, other fantastical species have completely different reproductive systems, so attempting to regulate all of them under the same law is entirely impractical.

Even if it isn't depriving a species (though we disagree that it is not) it certainly deprives women of the right to control their own bodies, something which in this context is not deprived of men.

Why should women be forced to bear offspring they do not wish to bear when men are not forced to do so?

Yours,

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Homo sapiens isn't a race.

That's arguable, depending on whether one wishes to use the real life or roleplay based definitions of the word (and for once it might be reasonable to use the latter, though that could be a stretch); however, it's still an "arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination", which is illegal for the same reason and under the exact same clause of CoCR.

Compliance gnomes use real life definitions and translate and apply those definitions as necessary (i.e., they'll properly apply GA rules to your nation).

Feel free to introduce a proposal outlawing speciesism.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Pregnancy is not an arbitrary or reductive categorization. It is a state that any person can enter into. Special laws regarding pregnant people would apply to all pregnant people. That's what equality before the law is. The CoCR does not make all person equal in all ways.

How is it not arbitrary to treat all pregnant people as one? It is in fact entirely arbitrary to in essence create a class of persons capable of gestation of offspring and then deprive them of rights which persons incapable of gestation of offspring continue to enjoy. There is nothing compellingly practical about forcing billions of women to bear unwanted offspring.

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:That's arguable, depending on whether one wishes to use the real life or roleplay based definitions of the word (and for once it might be reasonable to use the latter, though that could be a stretch); however, it's still an "arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination", which is illegal for the same reason and under the exact same clause of CoCR.

Compliance gnomes use real life definitions and translate and apply those definitions as necessary (i.e., they'll properly apply GA rules to your nation).

Feel free to introduce a proposal outlawing speciesism.

Already done in the COCR.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Urgench wrote:Even if it isn't depriving a species (though we disagree that it is not) it certainly deprives women of the right to control their own bodies, something which in this context is not deprived of men.

Why should women be forced to bear offspring they do not wish to bear when men are not forced to do so?

Those are all great questions for debate, but not a debate on the proposal's legality.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Urgench wrote:Even if it isn't depriving a species (though we disagree that it is not) it certainly deprives women of the right to control their own bodies, something which in this context is not deprived of men.

Those are all great questions for debate, but not a debate on the proposal's legality.

It is relevant when the proposal's definitions are discriminatory..
DEFINING therapeutic abortion as abortion performed because of a threat to a pregnant woman's life, a threat to a pregnant woman's physical health, or a severe abnormality in a pregnancy,

All other kinds of abortions are ruled illegal.

Which discriminates against a legally-recognized man who was raped but still has his female genitalia from before a gender-switch.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Unibot wrote:Makes sense, if this resolution could be applied to more species than just humans, it ought to be.. instead of just narrowing and arbitrarily attributing it to humans. That's the difference between Female Genitalia Mutilation and this act, FGM doesn't state anywhere that it couldn't be applied to other species where the genitalia is the same, it's just assumed that because the genitalia described in the resolution is different from a fish's whatever, that a school of sentient fish won't have to work very hard to comply with FGM's standards because of the obvious biological differences. Biological and arbitrary categorizations are two different things in this instance.

As I've pointed out, the gestation periods of various species differ greatly. This makes it impossible to write a proposal applicable to all (especially because on the word limit for proposals).

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Unibot wrote:.. why should tortoises be treated differently then camels, sentient lollipops or humans... unless there is an obvious reason like the resolution's mandates could only be biologically relevant to an reptile .. in which case the resolution's mandates will only apply to reptiles... and need no affirmation of the latter ilk which discriminates against other types of reptiles for no apparent reason.

This resolution's mandates clearly only apply to humans, do they not? I think it would be a worse thing to not say that the resolution only applies to humans, if the resolution is creating regulations for human medical procedures.

Urgench wrote:How is it not arbitrary to treat all pregnant people as one? It is in fact entirely arbitrary to in essence create a class of persons capable of gestation of offspring and then deprive them of rights which persons incapable of gestation of offspring continue to enjoy.

Under this logic, any classification of people is entirely arbitrary. You need to be reasonable. This entire comment is entirely unreasonable, simply because you're saying people incapable of bearing children are still able to get abortions.

Urgench wrote:There is nothing compellingly practical about forcing billions of women to bear unwanted offspring.

Again, a great argument to debate the merits, but not the legality.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Unibot wrote:It is relevant when the proposal's definitions are discriminatory..

No, none of it is relevant to discussing the proposal's legality. Those are all political questions that are supposed to be answered by voting on the resolution.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:As I've pointed out, the gestation periods of various species differ greatly. This makes it impossible to write a proposal applicable to all (especially because on the word limit for proposals).

(OOC: Pssh. I could do it. I'm not going to, because I disagree with the principle, but it's not impossible to ban terminating gestation periods after a certain period in a species development.)
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:(OOC: Pssh. I could do it. I'm not going to, because I disagree with the principle, but it's not impossible to ban terminating gestation periods after a certain period in a species development.)

And it's not impossible to write proposals that cover all time periods being roleplayed on NationStates. But it's certainly unreasonable to force people to do so.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly