NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT #1]Convention for the Elimination of Genocide

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Telmauria
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Apr 06, 2025
Liberal Democratic Socialists

[DRAFT #1]Convention for the Elimination of Genocide

Postby Telmauria » Mon Sep 14, 2026 6:27 pm

The International Convention for the Elimination of Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing

Recognizing genocide and ethnic cleansing as grave moral evils which all nations have a duty to prevent and which require international cooperation and solidarity to effectively prevent.

Observing that the scars of past genocides and ethnic cleansings have never been able to truly heal due to the magnitude of the harm and destruction they caused to those they targeted and humanity as a whole, thus necessitating a proactive international effort to prevent future occurrences of these crimes.

Article 1

Section I

Hereby defines genocide as any of the following acts, committed where the reasonably foreseeable result would be the destruction in whole or in part of a national, ethnic, racial, or religious group:

a.) Killing members of the group;
b.) Causing serious bodily or psychological harm to members of the group;
c.) Inflicting conditions of life on the group which could be reasonably foreseen to bring about the destruction of the group in whole or in part;
d.) Imposing measures to prevent births within the group or which could be reasonably foreseen to have the effect of preventing births within the group;
e.) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Section II

Hereby defines ethnic cleansing as any activity, policy, or practice designed to produce or which could be reasonably foreseen to produce a homogenous geographic area through the displacement of any national, ethnic, racial, or religious group.

Section III

The World Assembly hereby declares that genocide and ethnic cleansing, whether committed in war or in peace, are crimes under international law which all member states have an affirmative duty to prevent and punish.

Article 2

Section I

All World Assembly member states shall have universal jurisdiction and an affirmative duty to prosecute, fairly try, and punish all individuals who perpetrate the following crimes irrespective of where or against whom they are committed, and irrespective of whether they are committed by constitutionally responsible leaders, public officials, or private individuals:

a.) Genocide;
b.)Ethnic Cleansing;
c.) Conspiracy to commit genocide;
d.) Conspiracy to commit ethnic cleansing;
e.) Direct and public incitement to commit genocide;
f.) Direct and public incitement to commit ethnic cleansing;
g.) Attempt to commit genocide;
h.) Attempt to commit ethnic cleansing;
i.) Complicity in genocide;
j.) Complicity in ethnic cleansing.

Section II

The World Assembly War Crimes Documentation Commission established by GAR#6 is hereby tasked with collecting and maintaining records of alleged acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing perpetrated by or within the territory of or within the territory effectively controlled by member states, assisting with documentation and evidence preservation, making these records and evidence available to all member states for the prosecution of crimes under this Convention, and publishing periodic reports summarizing international news and trends relating to the crimes under this Convention as well as the activities of the Commission while investigating crimes under this Convention.

Section III

All World Assembly member states are required to comply with extradition requests from other member states seeking to prosecute any individual for any of the crimes enumerated in this Convention. In situations where multiple member states seek the extradition of an individual for crimes under this Convention, the extradition request of the state where the crimes took place will be given priority.

Article 3

Section I

No World Assembly member state may engage in the sale or transfer of weapons, weapon components, or instruments of violence of any kind to any state, group, organization, or other entity engaged in genocide or ethnic cleansing.

Section II

No World Assembly member state may provide military support of any kind to a state, group, organization, or other entity engaged in genocide or ethnic cleansing.

Section III

No World Assembly member state may provide a state, group, organization, or other entity engaged in genocide or ethnic cleansing anything which materially supports them in the perpetration of crimes enumerated in this Convention.
a.) This section may not be construed to prohibit the transfer of food, water, or medicine to civilians.

Section IV

All organs and institutions of the World Assembly are prohibited from giving support of any kind, excluding transfers of food, water, and medicine to civilians, to any state, group, organization, or other entity engaged in genocide or ethnic cleansing.

Section V

Any constitutionally responsible leader, World Assembly official, local public official, or private individual of any World Assembly member state who materially supports any state, group, organization, or other entity in genocide or ethnic cleansing is guilty of complicity under this Convention, and may be guilty of other crimes enumerated in this Convention.

Article 4

Section I

All World Assembly member states shall in accordance with the procedures of their respective systems of government adopt legislation to give effect to the provisions of this Convention and to provide strong penalties for those convicted of the crimes it enumerates.

Section II

All World Assembly member states shall in accordance with the procedures and laws governing their respective judicial systems adopt processes to fairly try individuals accused of violating this Convention and to fairly issue, receive, and process extradition requests relating to the prosecution of individuals accused of crimes enumerated in this Convention.

Section III

All World Assembly member states have the right, if they so choose, to engage in war or other military action to stop ongoing genocide and ethnic cleansing, provided that such actions do not violate World Assembly resolutions relating to the conduct of war and treatment of civilians.

Section IV

All people have a fundamental human right to self defense, and consequently we affirm that all groups targeted by acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing have an absolute and unquestionable right under international law to defend themselves by whatever means are necessary or available to them, military or otherwise, to resist their displacement or destruction.

Section V

No provision of this Convention may be construed to deny, disparage, or abridge the right of World Assembly member states to adopt stricter and more comprehensive measures than those mandated herein to prevent and punish genocide and ethnic cleansing, so long as those measures do not violate any other resolution of the General Assembly relating to the conduct of war or treatment of civilians.

Article 5

Resolved that this Convention be a beginning, not a conclusion, of the tireless work, international solidarity, and cooperation between people necessary for the world to eradicate the atrocities of genocide and ethnic cleansing, so that their horrors, which have ravaged the world too many times before, are never to be known by the generations which succeed us.

OOC: This probably needs to be shorter, but I figured since it's a first draft it would be better to shorten it after fielding suggestions for revisions.
Last edited by Telmauria on Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
From the desk of Thomas Cabral
Foreign Secretary of The People's Republic of Telmauria
The Communist Bloc

Liberation For All, Solidarity Forever

User avatar
General TN
Diplomat
 
Posts: 698
Founded: Jan 13, 2024
Capitalizt

Postby General TN » Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:07 am

OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.
GAR #778|GAR #831| GAR #840
1x Issue Author
WA Ambassadors: [Head GA] Mor Sel (He/Him), [Secondary GA] WATN (It/Its), [Head SC] SCTN (They/It)
Ukrainian-American Episcopalian guy.
I have a passion for biology, various forms of horror and hating on prions.
Traditional artist and writer.

User avatar
Dengist China
Minister
 
Posts: 3228
Founded: Jan 08, 2025
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dengist China » Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:23 am

General TN wrote:OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.
I'm also going to note that, while inactive for the moment (TGS has been busy), we have a competing proposal. It's usually not a good idea to compete with other drafts afaik.
Current:
Governor of Tinga
Master of the arts of Empires Forever United
House Speaker & Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Aesica

Former:
Speaker of the Damned of Hell
Ambassador of Hell to Hells Lounge
Embassy officer of Regionless.
Tingan Minister of Foreign Affairs
Tingan Roleplay Manager
Tingan General Secretary/Sec of Sec
Haymarket Riot wrote:Cool, I identify as a mod.

*bans player for transphobia*
Lusitanic wrote:I prayed "God, make my enemies ridiculous"... and He sent me to General on the NationStates forums.

User avatar
Lipizia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 557
Founded: May 01, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Lipizia » Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:29 am

Dengist China wrote:I'm also going to note that, while inactive for the moment (TGS has been busy), we have a competing proposal. It's usually not a good idea to compete with other drafts afaik.

General TN wrote:OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.

Theese two things will make your draft unconditionally fail.
Sorry, but you have no hope. Give down.

User avatar
General TN
Diplomat
 
Posts: 698
Founded: Jan 13, 2024
Capitalizt

Postby General TN » Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:36 am

Dengist China wrote:
General TN wrote:OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.
I'm also going to note that, while inactive for the moment (TGS has been busy), we have a competing proposal. It's usually not a good idea to compete with other drafts afaik.

OOC: I’d be fully honest that I had no idea that such a draft existed, and I don’t think that is something you can put on them either. So I wouldn’t go around accusing people of trying to compete with you if they are unaware. Simply let them know that such a draft is in process.
Lipizia wrote:Theese two things will make your draft unconditionally fail.
Sorry, but you have no hope. Give down.

“Thanks for stating what totally wasent just said Mr. Sherlock. And it’s give up, not give down.”
Responds a grumpy hungover Reginald.
Last edited by General TN on Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAR #778|GAR #831| GAR #840
1x Issue Author
WA Ambassadors: [Head GA] Mor Sel (He/Him), [Secondary GA] WATN (It/Its), [Head SC] SCTN (They/It)
Ukrainian-American Episcopalian guy.
I have a passion for biology, various forms of horror and hating on prions.
Traditional artist and writer.

User avatar
Kshemarashtram
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 385
Founded: Mar 30, 2026
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Kshemarashtram » Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:18 pm

Here is the other convention on genocide already being drafted.
Note: This nation is not socialist. Read about this misleading nation classification.
AtaHana wrote:Adults are just kids who think they've grown up
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Call the doctor - sense of humour transplant required.

User avatar
The Crusader Kings
Diplomat
 
Posts: 526
Founded: Nov 21, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Crusader Kings » Tue Sep 15, 2026 7:18 pm

I need a new cup of Coffee. I have taken the time to read this proposal, and oh my God, I wish I hadn't.

I'm not even going to say anything about this, I have better things to do.

OOC: As others have pointed out, your region is...not favorable, to put it nicely.
The Crusader Kings My NS stats/Policies DO NOT represent my IRL views
The truth must be held by the sword. There is no place for heretics. God wills it. We chill for the most part.
God helps us, for we are not without error, but without grave sin. God wills our victory and glory, and let it be. Praise the Lord.
Glory to TCK.


User avatar
Keshvaria
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 16
Founded: Aug 30, 2026
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Keshvaria » Tue Sep 15, 2026 10:09 pm

While it may not be a good idea to compete against the existing draft now that you've been made aware of it, I'd like to share a few thoughts.

General TN wrote:OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.

Unless something significant happened with TCB in my time away, I'm not sure why this would be the case. If someone could fill me in, that would be nice.

Lipizia wrote:Theese two things will make your draft unconditionally fail.
Sorry, but you have no hope. Give down.


The Crusader Kings wrote:I need a new cup of Coffee. I have taken the time to read this proposal, and oh my God, I wish I hadn't.

I'm not even going to say anything about this, I have better things to do.

OOC: As others have pointed out, your region is...not favorable, to put it nicely.


Comments like these, as far as I'm concerned, are not helpful to anybody. I don't understand the point of piling on to the author just for posting a draft you don't like. The first draft I ever wrote was certainly no good, and if I was treated this way when I started writing GA proposals, I certainly wouldn't have tried many more times. While the GA is already significantly less active than it was in previous years, chasing away new authors with hostile comments like these is certainly a choice.

So again to the author, don't give up and don't be discouraged.
Formerly known as Jedinsto.

User avatar
Kshemarashtram
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 385
Founded: Mar 30, 2026
Autocratic Socialists

Postby Kshemarashtram » Tue Sep 15, 2026 10:38 pm

The Crusader Kings wrote:I need a new cup of Coffee. I have taken the time to read this proposal, and oh my God, I wish I hadn't.

I'm not even going to say anything about this, I have better things to do.

OOC: As others have pointed out, your region is...not favorable, to put it nicely.

This comment offers nothing helpful and only serves to belittle the author. The WA should focus on helping new authors improve rather than just putting them down. Having seen a couple more of your charmless comments, I see you are resorting to the same conduct that you once used to decry.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not himself become a monster. And if thou dost gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss shall also gaze unto thee. ~Beyond Good and Evil, §146
Last edited by Kshemarashtram on Tue Sep 15, 2026 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: This nation is not socialist. Read about this misleading nation classification.
AtaHana wrote:Adults are just kids who think they've grown up
Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Call the doctor - sense of humour transplant required.

User avatar
Bonderovia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 25
Founded: Aug 30, 2026
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Bonderovia » Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:52 am

What ideas you propose regarding third parties weaponising genocide conductors?
Bonderovia supports Forum Under Notice

User avatar
First Nightmare
Diplomat
 
Posts: 515
Founded: Apr 27, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby First Nightmare » Wed Sep 16, 2026 3:44 am

Keshvaria wrote:While it may not be a good idea to compete against the existing draft now that you've been made aware of it, I'd like to share a few thoughts.

General TN wrote:OOC: I am not going to beat around the bush; the region that you reside in means your proposal is dead in the water.

Unless something significant happened with TCB in my time away, I'm not sure why this would be the case. If someone could fill me in, that would be nice.

OOC:All you need to know is that, due to aggressive military actions, TCB has made many enemies within the major voting bloc(the Sovereign Seven) and with others. More precisely, any actions by residents of TCB, including World Assembly proposals, are automatically opposed by those regions. Unfortunately.
Last edited by First Nightmare on Wed Sep 16, 2026 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOC:Also known as Old Hope

User avatar
General TN
Diplomat
 
Posts: 698
Founded: Jan 13, 2024
Capitalizt

Postby General TN » Wed Sep 16, 2026 4:58 am

The Crusader Kings wrote:I need a new cup of Coffee. I have taken the time to read this proposal, and oh my God, I wish I hadn't.

I'm not even going to say anything about this, I have better things to do.

OOC: As others have pointed out, your region is...not favorable, to put it nicely.

Mor Sel looks up from trying to take a sip from his caffeinated drink as he looks at you quizzically.

“Did we… read the same proposal? Sure it’s underdeveloped, which is expected for this stage, but it’s not particularly worse than the average initial proposal, especially from a new person. Sure it’s long, but nothing in it should require such a… visceral reaction. I read it. Found nothing so extremely bad that it would make me have a freak out. And I’ve been around nearly as long as your nations entire existence! I would know a truly egregious proposal when I see one. That’s to say, your comments ambassador are unnecessary, reactionary and quite unfounded. Not something we need in this assembly at all. I suggest you consider my advice. You can trust me, I don’t bite.”
GAR #778|GAR #831| GAR #840
1x Issue Author
WA Ambassadors: [Head GA] Mor Sel (He/Him), [Secondary GA] WATN (It/Its), [Head SC] SCTN (They/It)
Ukrainian-American Episcopalian guy.
I have a passion for biology, various forms of horror and hating on prions.
Traditional artist and writer.

User avatar
Haguia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Nov 12, 2023
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Haguia » Thu Sep 17, 2026 3:01 pm

To the members of the Assembly, interested parties, and the State proposing the resolution,

I believe this resolution should not be put to a vote, since there is already a proposal that addresses both genocide and the establishment of an international court.
As such, this would clearly be redundant.
The matter in question is:

The International Criminal Tribunal Act
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=587878#p43899386

Therefore, I believe this proposal is unnecessary, and if it comes to a vote, Haguia will vote against it.

Imperial Office of the Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Long Live the Emperor

User avatar
The Crusader Kings
Diplomat
 
Posts: 526
Founded: Nov 21, 2025
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Crusader Kings » Sat Sep 19, 2026 6:31 am

Kshemarashtram wrote:
The Crusader Kings wrote:I need a new cup of Coffee. I have taken the time to read this proposal, and oh my God, I wish I hadn't.

I'm not even going to say anything about this, I have better things to do.

OOC: As others have pointed out, your region is...not favorable, to put it nicely.

This comment offers nothing helpful and only serves to belittle the author. The WA should focus on helping new authors improve rather than just putting them down. Having seen a couple more of your charmless comments, I see you are resorting to the same conduct that you once used to decry.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not himself become a monster. And if thou dost gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss shall also gaze unto thee. ~Beyond Good and Evil, §146

Good use of Nietzsche. And fair point.

My apologies, I was a bit rash. Nonetheless, there is already another, more developed draft in the works, so if this does make the floor, I'll be AGAINST.
The Crusader Kings My NS stats/Policies DO NOT represent my IRL views
The truth must be held by the sword. There is no place for heretics. God wills it. We chill for the most part.
God helps us, for we are not without error, but without grave sin. God wills our victory and glory, and let it be. Praise the Lord.
Glory to TCK.



Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Falloa, Umeria

Advertisement

Remove ads