NATION

PASSWORD

[PROPOSED] Ban on Social Media Data Abuse

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Socalist Russia
Secretary

Founded: Jul 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PROPOSED] Ban on Social Media Data Abuse

Postby Socalist Russia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am

Category: Regulation

Sub Category: Consumer Protection

Noting "social media" as websites and applications that primarily exist for social networking.

Defining social media as websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Appalled by the actions that many unscrupulous social media companies have taken to increase revenue; especially with regards to using user-generated content to track users without their consent, target advertising at these users, and even sharing it with third-party data brokers.

Concluding that it has become apparent that action must be taken to curtail these abuses.

Hereby:
Prohibits social media companies from storing user data that is not needed to carry out their social media website's functions, or from transferring any such data to third parties, without the explicit consent of the users concerned (except when it is required under national or international law);
Further prohibits social media companies from using user data to track, or to assist in targetting advertising towards, users without the explicit consent of the users concerned;
Mandates that all social media companies formulate terms of service for their social media websites which can be easily understood by an average and reasonable user of that website, and contains (at a minimum) a detailed statement concerning what the company will do with any data shared with the website.
Recommends that all other companies produce similar terms of service for their websites or applications, where relevant.
Last edited by Socalist Russia on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 am

OOC
Category and strength?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Codd
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Codd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 am

My suggestion:

Consumer Protection

Strong
Last edited by Codd on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Codd
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Codd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 am

I actually support this proposal wholeheartedly.
Last edited by Codd on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socalist Russia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Socalist Russia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 am

Alright, thanks

Socalist Russia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Socalist Russia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Category: Consumer Protection

Strength: Strong

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Socalist Russia wrote:Category: Consumer Protection

That's not a category.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Socalist Russia wrote:Category: Consumer Protection

(OOC: I believe you mean: category - regulation, area of effect - consumer protection. The regulation category has AoEs instead of strengths, and consumer protection is one of those subcategories.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Socalist Russia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Socalist Russia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 pm

(OOC, that is correct)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 am

“I do have a possible complaint with your mandate in this proposal. Namely, you explicitly ban the selling of data by social media companies to third parties, but offer no provisions for a circumstance in which this was expected or, indeed, actively consented to by the user.

If a social media website sends out a survey on behalf of another company, then whoever fills it in will probably be fully aware and have no qualms about it being sold to the business in question. I believe you should have something similar with regards to ‘without full consent’ in order to close this problem.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 am

Socalist Russia wrote:Defining social media as websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

OOC: This definition would currently make NationStates and things like Imgur "social media" websites, while by the commonly understood meaning of SoMe, they're not. I would suggest rewording the definition as "Defining "social media" as websites and applications that primarily exist for social networking".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm

... social networking.

Carlin would be appalled.
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Socalist Russia wrote:(OOC, that is correct)

(OOC: In that case, put the category and strength at the top of your opening post, so other users can easily see it.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Snoburg
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Snoburg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:35 pm

The one main problem I see with this proposal is that it doesn't account for data the social media requires to do it's basic functions

Socalist Russia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Socalist Russia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 am

Noted, I changed the wording in the new draft to correct this.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 am

“‘Mandating’ would make a lot more sense as ‘mandates’, in the last clause. Also, terms and conditions are legal documents, thus not being very easily understood: would your last sentence of the final clause mandate these would be out in layman’s terms, or are you just banning deliberate ambiguity?”
My pronouns are he/him.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 pm

A few cleanups here and there - feel free to do with this as you please
Socalist Russia wrote:Strength: Strong You can't have Strengths with the Regulation category. Get rid of this immediately, no matter what you think about anything else I have to say, if only for the sake of technical accuracy.

Category: Regulation

Sub Category: Consumer Protection

Noting "social media" as websites and applications that primarily exist for social networking.

Defining social media as websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking. Which one is it gonna be, then?

Appalled by the actions that many unscrupulous social media companies have taken to increase revenue.; especially with regards to using user-generated content to track users without their consent, target advertising at these users, and even sharing it with third-party data brokers.

Listing some of these actions, including, but not limited to, using user data to track a user's device's location without the user's consent, using user devices to listen in on conversions that a user has with other people for the purpose of targeted advertising, and illegally storing the data of a user without the user's consent and selling the data to third-party data brokers.

Therefore, Concluding that it has become apparent that action must be taken to curtail these abuses.

Mandating that the storage of user data by social media companies that are otherwise unnecessary to carry out the site's functions without the explicit consent of the user is strictly prohibited, the selling of any user's data to third parties, without the full and clear consent of the user, is strictly prohibited, and that using user data for advertising and tracking without user consent is hereby strictly prohibited. All social media companies must also create terms of service statements that are clear and concise to all users, stating, in detail, what the company will do with any data that is shared with the site.

Hereby:
  • Prohibits social media companies from storing user data that is not needed to carry out their social media website's functions, or from transferring any such data to third parties, without the explicit consent of the users concerned (except when it is required under national or international law);
  • Further prohibits social media companies from using user data to track, or to assist in targetting advertising towards, users without the explicit consent of the users concerned;
  • Mandates that all social media companies formulate terms of service for their social media websites which can be easily understood by an average and reasonable user of that website, and contains (at a minimum) a detailed statement concerning what the company will do with any data shared with the website; and
  • Recommends that all other companies produce similar terms of service for their websites or applications, where relevant.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly