NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] World Assembly Agreement on Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 pm

"So long as the law is enforced equally upon immigrants and citizens alike, and the former are not illegally exploited to the tune of reduced salaries, shittier benefits, fear of the police, and other nasty relics of borderline fascist states, immigration is a self-regulating market affair. Where opportunities are reduced, fewer immigrants will seek entry and employment. There is simply no rational reason to oppose this law. Only xenophobia masked in naked self-interest."
Principal-Agent & Master of Duck Recipes, Anarchy
The Mostly Alright Steph Zakalwe *
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
S.L. Ambassador to the World Assembly
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis,
Ambassador-At-Large
Illustrious Bum #279
Pol. Compass: Econ. -5 to -8, Soc. -8 to -9 (depending), 8values: LibSoc
"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.'" -Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)

Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:"Our Delegation issues its opposition on the same grounds so eloquently expressed by the Christian Democratic mission."

"Though I've already explained why the concerns of his Excellency of Christian Democrats are baseless, I think the brand of nationalistic, every-country-for-itself style of social justice he's advocated is inconsistent with the values espoused numerous times by this assembly. It is not christian to only care about the poor in one's own country."
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"So long as the law is enforced equally upon immigrants and citizens alike, and the former are not illegally exploited to the tune of reduced salaries, shittier benefits, fear of the police, and other nasty relics of borderline fascist states, immigration is a self-regulating market affair. Where opportunities are reduced, fewer immigrants will seek entry and employment. There is simply no rational reason to oppose this law. Only xenophobia masked in naked self-interest."

This proposal enables corporate exploitation of the poor. If opposition to an international race to the bottom is xenophobia, I'm a xenophobe. Nations that can simply import more laborers will do nothing to protect the interests of their poorest members.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Again, the outwardly moralistic and "compassionate" give arguments equivalent to condemning the poorest people in all societies to starve and suffer under poverty in their hovels like good boys. I'm not convinced of their morality, compassion, or positions.

Author: 1 SC and 21 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and Regional Records
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate

Wallenburg
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:47 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Again, the outwardly moralistic and "compassionate" give arguments equivalent to condemning the poorest people in all societies to starve and suffer under poverty in their hovels like good boys. I'm not convinced of their morality, compassion, or positions.

"I could not agree more, Ambassador. At some point these supposedly compassionate actors need to face facts and acknowledge that allowing immigrants to flood the labor force of member states only serves to displace workers and increase poverty. Perhaps the so-called moral activists will recognize that extra jobs for foreign workers are not worth the tremendous financial cost to citizens of member states."
PROFESSIONAL CRITIC OF ALL THINGS GENSEC
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:59 am

Hanna-Cäcilia opens the door to enter the General Assembly.

“Aah! The lump of labour fallacy!”

She runs off, waving her crucifix pendant to ward off the evil spirits.

United Massachusetts
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:35 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Again, the outwardly moralistic and "compassionate" give arguments equivalent to condemning the poorest people in all societies to starve and suffer under poverty in their hovels like good boys. I'm not convinced of their morality, compassion, or positions.

Certain nations simply aren't equipped to take in more individuals, particularly those with already overburdened systems. I will note that countries such as the United States absolutely are equipped to do so. Namibia? Not so much.
United Massachusetts
World Assembly Mission

Pro-Life Social Democratic Catholic
Ambassador: Bishop Alexander Pierce

Deputy WA Minister, The East Pacific
Assistant: Father Carl Sullivan

Fmr. President, Right to Life
Queen Yuno wrote:You have a very contradictory rep yourself, [UM].
Sanctaria wrote:We get it. You're pro-life.
Wallenburg wrote:You've got to be the most ignorant person on this Discord.
"Stat crux dum volvitur orbis"
"The Cross is steady while the world is turning"

Araraukar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Sciongrad wrote:2. Grants all citizens of member nations employed in other member nations(1) the right to physically remain in that member nation(2) while they are employed or actively seeking employment;

OOC: I have a feeling I've already asked these questions, but having a new stab at them...

(1) Because of the word "other", let's say, for simplicity's sake, that Bob is a citizen of Nation A, and works and lives in Nation A. Bob does not qualify for this "right"? Joan, on the other hand, is a citizen of Nation B, but works and lives in Nation A. Joan qualifies for this "right"?

(2) Does "that ... nation" refer to Nation A in the above examples? Or to Nation C, in which both Bob and Joan would both like to live in, if they could find jobs there?

Still OOC:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Neville: We want to be able to detain foreign workers who commit crimes, just as we do with literally everyone else. Clause Three, as written, prevents us from doing so.

This hasn't been addressed. And would appear to make this thing contradict existing resolutions, especially CoCR's "all inhabitants are equal before law".

Imperium Anglorum wrote:A template for all of you:

It'd be nice to get answers on the concerns that DO address the contents of the proposal.

United Massachusetts wrote:Certain nations simply aren't equipped to take in more individuals, particularly those with already overburdened systems. I will note that countries such as the United States absolutely are equipped to do so. Namibia? Not so much.

Also this.

Would "NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO AROUND, REGARDLESS OF WHAT NATION YOU'RE FROM" be compelling enough reasons to not allow foreign job-seekers? Like, Araraukar's official unemployment rate is something like 80%, and even the practical one (if excluding hobbyists that earn some income from selling products and services, but wouldn't be able to support themselves with it) is about 70%. (Before you complain about those numbers, remember that 20% of the population is still like 420 million employed peeps.) Frightening efficiency, extensive automation and use of (MT, before you complain) technology, and state monopoly on essential production and services are the reasons for that, but citizens get most things for free anyway, so it's not exactly a problem to the population. However, given the seriously high unemployment rate, that should count as "compelling purposes" to not having to let foreign job-seekers into the nation to smooch off of the system while contributing nothing.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've come to appreciate boring bureaucracy much more after my official execution..." - Johan Milkus, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.

Previous

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly