NATION

PASSWORD

General Sports Roleplaying Questions (OOC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Obrela
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Obrela » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:31 am

Lisander wrote:
Obrela wrote:Hi, so I'm making some domestic leagues and the league tables are frustrating me, I've spent over 3 hours trying to make them work. Does anyone have any tips or a blank template I can use for a table? I've tried copypasting from others but it never lines up properly. Thanks in advance!

Are you using xkoranate? If yes, just copy your table and paste it between "pre" codes. Then, even if unaligned, this:

Code: Select all
[pre]P                                       Pld   W  L   RF  RA  RD    Win %
1 Nova Anglican Admin Zone of Esportiva   5   4  1   27  13 +14    0.800 *
2 Super-Llamaland                         5   4  1   17  13  +4    0.800
3 Le Choix                                5   2  3   17  26  −9    0.400 **
4 Kalush                                  5   2  3   14  13  +1    0.400
5 Fhulghamous Peninsula                   5   2  3   20  18  +2    0.400
6 The Licentian Isles                     5   1  4   10  22 −12    0.200[/pre]

Will become this:

P                                       Pld   W  L   RF  RA  RD    Win % 
1 Nova Anglican Admin Zone of Esportiva 5 4 1 27 13 +14 0.800 *
2 Super-Llamaland 5 4 1 17 13 +4 0.800
3 Le Choix 5 2 3 17 26 −9 0.400 **
4 Kalush 5 2 3 14 13 +1 0.400
5 Fhulghamous Peninsula 5 2 3 20 18 +2 0.400
6 The Licentian Isles 5 1 4 10 22 −12 0.200

No I'm not. I can't because my storage space is too low and also I'm on Chromebook. The scorinator I'm using is the IFCF Excel based one.
Rated a 92.2 on the International LGBTQ+ Rights Index.
4th Place in RTC U18 World Cup XVIII

19th at WorldVision 105 (Debut)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Main of Galordia Minun
Pronouns site: https://en.pronouns.page/@Cinderspirit

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:50 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-pS25N9E1iRLLc7aZIXjnnW9RlkZgos4nLxETYbceY/edit

I previously made a sheet, where you enter a set of results (in the Results Sheet) and them based on a preset tiebreakers (its actually a sort function), it generates a table. I combined the formatter inside, where you can copy the results from the Table Sheet, into the formatter sheet which produces something that is quite nice and for the [pre] tags. You can try that.

NB: Please make a copy to use it
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Obrela
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Obrela » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:36 am

Hi again! Sorry I have so many questions, I'm new to NS sports, but are there any apps/websites you guys would recommend for saving match reports, keeping track of teams etc. Rather than just having to scroll back through a thread or a word document looking for the match in question? I already use FixtureList for the table and well... Fixture list. Many thanks!
Rated a 92.2 on the International LGBTQ+ Rights Index.
4th Place in RTC U18 World Cup XVIII

19th at WorldVision 105 (Debut)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Main of Galordia Minun
Pronouns site: https://en.pronouns.page/@Cinderspirit

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:01 am

Obrela wrote:Hi again! Sorry I have so many questions, I'm new to NS sports, but are there any apps/websites you guys would recommend for saving match reports, keeping track of teams etc. Rather than just having to scroll back through a thread or a word document looking for the match in question? I already use FixtureList for the table and well... Fixture list. Many thanks!

Most of us use spreadsheets for keeping track of our national team history.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic News | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Lisander
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lisander » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:19 am

Obrela wrote:Hi again! Sorry I have so many questions, I'm new to NS sports, but are there any apps/websites you guys would recommend for saving match reports, keeping track of teams etc. Rather than just having to scroll back through a thread or a word document looking for the match in question? I already use FixtureList for the table and well... Fixture list. Many thanks!

I used spreadsheets and then Notion for the last 10 years, but now I'm thinking about moving to NS Sports Wiki.
Last edited by Lisander on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Principality of Lisander, a sports loving, very highly developed nation in Astyria.
Disappointing people and missing deadlines since 2013.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:38 pm

I have a fairly well organised Domestic Newswires thread (see signature) where I keep track of seasons and results. Everything else is in spreadsheets (players, ages, teams, etc). The actual results (and scheduling) is taken care of by xkoranate for me.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Japuile
Envoy

Founded: Aug 05, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Question

Postby Japuile » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Hello,

Could I make a post on the sports channel that I am looking for managers and coaches for several sports or is that out of the question?
Head of State
"By the grace of the sun and the moon, by the power of storms and seas, Casimir I of the House of Episcopo"
Head of Goverment
The Honorable Prime Lord Alard Reyrond
Goverment
Absolute Constitutional Monarchy
Citizens have their rights, and so do the press and the media, but His Grand Majesty has great influence in the government, he is in every part of every instance in the tripartite division of power.
IIWiki
Overview of Country
"The future is today"
A 13,4 civilization, according to this index.
Proud member of: ASP, TGO, IOP

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 pm

Japuile wrote:Hello,

Could I make a post on the sports channel that I am looking for managers and coaches for several sports or is that out of the question?

Assuming you are talking about the Discord... Yes, that's a very normal post for either #international-sport (for national teams) or #domestic-sport (for domestic teams).
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Harry Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 04, 2022
Corporate Bordello

Postby Harry Islands » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:50 pm

Are there scorinators for E-Sports?
WTTO founder | My Friend's storefront: USIH Bank & Trust
Invest in a SIZ in Harry Islands, LEARN MORE HERE!

Eshialand
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:18 pm

Harry Islands wrote:Are there scorinators for E-Sports?

Squidroidia recently made a scorinator for their in-universe FPS named StrikeForce, which can be found here. Not entirely sure what else is out there, but go give this a look if you're interested.
Anything I say is IC unless proven otherwise by a court of law.

(he/him/any/all)

Harry Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 04, 2022
Corporate Bordello

Postby Harry Islands » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 am

Eshialand wrote:
Harry Islands wrote:Are there scorinators for E-Sports?

Squidroidia recently made a scorinator for their in-universe FPS named StrikeForce, which can be found here. Not entirely sure what else is out there, but go give this a look if you're interested.

Cool, thank you, I particularly liked Squidroidia's work, I think it serves what I planned, thanks again :)
WTTO founder | My Friend's storefront: USIH Bank & Trust
Invest in a SIZ in Harry Islands, LEARN MORE HERE!

Ryzalia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryzalia » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:31 am

I'm curious - would there be an interest in another gridiron football league, with a different ranking system that tries to hew a bit more closely to the "draft style" of the actual NFL?

Some background on me. I'm not completely new to NS Sports - some years ago, under my prior name, I attempted to run a watersport-themed sort-of Olympics. I'd unwisely done it when I really was plumb green in the NS Sports world, and also in the middle of an increasingly busy school year. A computer crash finally derailed what I had started, and I sort of floated away from the NS Sports world.

However, in recent months, I've found myself building an interest in sports roleplay - not least because of my playing Madden and a couple of the CBS Sports mobile games. I'm in the process of setting up a small sports league in my region, The Phoenix Imperium, and have learned much more about scorinating things and making sure I'm building things fairly and efficiently in the process.

And no, this new league isn't all I'm thinking of doing - I'm going to start up a domestic sports newswire shortly as well as register for some of the upcoming tournaments.

What I have in mind. The World Bowl and NSCF both use prior performance rankings to weight their scorinators. I have an idea that may allow this hypothetical league to come closer to a draft style, and also to factor in rankings (if people believe this would be a good idea).

My thinking is to use a much wider skill range in Xkoranate - something like 1000, as a theoretical example. I'd then consider generating 20-30 values in some small range (possibly single digits) to represent "players". The sum of this would give the team's base skill value, which can be modified by roleplay and rankings. The target for a team's initial score would be 200, in my theoretical idea.

Teams could, after each season, be awarded "draft picks" - opportunities to replace lower rated "players" with higher rated ones. These could be traded between teams as well, for players or other draft picks. Players could also be "trained" in the offseason by playing teams playing friendly matches with each other.

I'd want to develop this idea more were I to go ahead with it, but first I'd like to hear the feedback of the larger NS Sports community. Am I off my rocker, or could I have something here? :)
Once upon a time known as Mewsland. Finally decided to start posting under a new name. Add 8347 to post count.
Arynnia I of the Celestial House of Ravanyra
Happily retired, just here to chat from time to time.

The Rio Grande River Basin
Senator

Founded: Sep 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm

I wanna ask, can you make a chess cup where players play each other on lichess?
FT Canon is most developed, therefore for F7
This Index says I am 0.364
Battle of Mar’Sa’Nakar ends in Pyrrhic victory as the Galactic Federation suffers losses, in defending the critical sector. GFS Andromeda severely damaged, GFS Comet destroyed. Mass evacuation of outer sector worlds beginning.
Something of a McGovernite, have some sympathy for Huey Long. Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

PodracingFan
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 09, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby PodracingFan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:36 pm

The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:I wanna ask, can you make a chess cup where players play each other on lichess?

NSWC Signups wrote:...
What DOESN'T Belong
- Tournaments that are not scorinated, or have scores generated through Video Games such as FIFA, Football Manager, Madden, etc. Domestic Leagues can be done in this manner, though.

The Rio Grande River Basin
Senator

Founded: Sep 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rio Grande River Basin » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:43 pm

PodracingFan wrote:
The Rio Grande River Basin wrote:I wanna ask, can you make a chess cup where players play each other on lichess?

NSWC Signups wrote:...
What DOESN'T Belong
- Tournaments that are not scorinated, or have scores generated through Video Games such as FIFA, Football Manager, Madden, etc. Domestic Leagues can be done in this manner, though.

Oh…
FT Canon is most developed, therefore for F7
This Index says I am 0.364
Battle of Mar’Sa’Nakar ends in Pyrrhic victory as the Galactic Federation suffers losses, in defending the critical sector. GFS Andromeda severely damaged, GFS Comet destroyed. Mass evacuation of outer sector worlds beginning.
Something of a McGovernite, have some sympathy for Huey Long. Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59
Friend of Kraven, 2005-2023
18 years of stories deleted
Kraven Prevails!

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:20 pm

We do however already have a chess tournament! An edition is ongoing right now, however, which means it is too late to sign up. See here.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic News | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:48 am

Tumbra wrote:

We do however already have a chess tournament! An edition is ongoing right now, however, which means it is too late to sign up. See here.

I believe there has also been an OOC chess tournament organised through the NSS Discord server in the past, though I don't know any of the details or if it's intended to run again in the future as I wasn't involved.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 16, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Postby Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:24 pm

Hello,

Same user as Île de Richelieu here. I'm considering moving this new nation to a sports region (I've noted 4: Anaia, Atlantic Oceania, Esportiva, Rushmore) but I dunno which one to choose.

Which one is the best? I believe Anaia has a regional hockey tournament? Does the other regions have it too? And which one updates their map regularly?

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:35 pm

Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer wrote:Hello,

Same user as Île de Richelieu here. I'm considering moving this new nation to a sports region (I've noted 4: Anaia, Atlantic Oceania, Esportiva, Rushmore) but I dunno which one to choose.

Which one is the best? I believe Anaia has a regional hockey tournament? Does the other regions have it too? And which one updates their map regularly?

From our Discord:

we've got 5 major sporting regions as of late:
Atlantian Oceania (AO) is the oldest and historically most successful; they're steeped in history, and they've got a lot of other-sports things going on as well, such as auto racing. If you're looking for a place where you can begin to branch out into things other than football, AO's your place.

Rushmore has gained more prominence recently as a place where geopolitical RP is more prevalent; there's also a more modern-tech, grounded feel to the region as a whole. It's the place to be if you're looking for that kind of thing.

Esportiva is the smallest of the traditional big three, and there's also quite a bit of potential there; there's regional organisations that are trying to get off the ground, and a quite powerful baseball league. If you're looking for a more laid-back, chill experience, Esportiva is the place for you.

Mandalunasa is a modern tech-themed region based off Southeast Asia, but there's nothing precluding you from taking a nation of any culture and going there. It's up and coming, the community's friendly, and it's very active and tight-knit.

Anaia is the newest of the sporting regions; they were formed after a split from AO and have since emerged as a new kid on the block. This is probably the most "anything-goes" of the five regions, and is probably the place for you if you want to partake in building up a new region.

There's also nothing much wrong with remaining independent and going where things take you. Don't feel pressured to join one sporting region over another; we do make fun of each other, and banter is tossed around, but overall, it's really up to your personal preference, and we're all one big community in the end.

Jabal Akhdar
Attaché

Founded: Dec 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Jabal Akhdar » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:57 am

Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer wrote:I believe Anaia has a regional hockey tournament?

AO runs a hockey tournament, the AOHC.

Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 16, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Postby Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:46 am

Finally I've moved to Anaia! All other regions looks good though.

Azov steel 2022
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 28, 2022

Postby Azov steel 2022 » Tue May 02, 2023 5:24 am

Saint-Jean-Jacques-sur-Mer wrote:Finally I've moved to Anaia! All other regions looks good though.

I think it's good and I'm very happy for you!

Hdisar
Spokesperson

Founded: May 08, 2023

Postby Hdisar » Tue May 09, 2023 4:15 am

May I ask, but what current sports events are open for beginners?
───HDISAR───
POLITICS|MAINMILITARY|WIKI
Alternate, region rp account for The Aituia

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue May 09, 2023 5:44 am

The World Cup (and Baptism of Fire for new users) is the biggest tournament we run and we're still in the signup phase. It's very open to beginners, and do sign up for the Baptism of Fire as well which is only open to new nations.

The IBC (Basketball) signups are open as well.

The Di Bradini Cup (football/soccer, U21) and U18 World Cup (football/soccer, U18) are also open.

Slightly less beginner friendly (perhaps): the WGPC (NS Sports Formula One) and Tennis.

So all in all quite a bit to do!
Last edited by Ko-oren on Tue May 09, 2023 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Thu May 11, 2023 9:57 pm

To toot my own horn ever so slightly, tennis is also very welcoming towards beginners — we've seen new people (who roleplay consistently) reach Grand Slam finals in the distant past, and in my opinion, it is much, much easier to "break through" in tennis than it is in the World Cup. So we'd absolutely love to have you sign up :)
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports