NATION

PASSWORD

Baptism of Fire 81 BID

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Baptism of Fire 81 BID

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Wed May 03, 2023 2:53 pm

The Football Association of the Commonwealth of Baker Park is proud to submit a bid for the hosting rights to Baptism of Fire 81

Baker Park is centrally located in the heart of Atlantian Oceania, with a population of 53 million, and has from its inception been open and inclusive of all people seeking to establish settled lives here; more recently, the country has seen a rise in the number of immigrants from other AO nations and has worked to provide wider access & accommodation to sentient non-human species who have made their home within our borders. This is a natural continuation of the spirit and ethos of our history, as people of all nations, all ethnic groups, all religions, all colors came to take a leap of faith in a new land and built a nation which embraces diversity, community and equality.

Established in 1892, the nation is a federal, parliamentary democracy, consisting of 7 constituent states, each having their own unicameral legislative body. The Parliament of the Commonwealth is made up of the 231 member House of Assembly and the 56 member Council of State. Until 1978, the central figure of country was the Prince Regent, whose duties were largely ceremonial although he held a few specific rights and duties; the premature death of the last Prince left the country unprepared, as there was no immediate successor. The position was renamed Head of State and it became an elected office in 1996.

Baker Park is one of the top tourist destinations in the multiverse, welcoming over 2.5 million visitors per year. We have a seasonally temperate climate, with autumn and early winter the times of the year when precipitation is heaviest.

Baker Park prides itself on the strength of its protection of civil rights, civil liberties and freedoms; our social services, health care, educational system and public safety organizations are held up as examples of excellence throughout our region and the world.

The nation's economy is best exemplified by the industrial conglomerate that was founded by the family that established the nation, Baker International Corporation. Known by citizens as "The Company" or BI, through the first nine decades of the country's history it was responsible for nearly 50% of the nation's GDP, as nearly three of every five people employed worked directly for one of the 30+ companies in which it had full or partial ownership, giving rise to the claim that Baker Park was the “World's Biggest Company Town”; over the past 40 years it has divested itself from many domestic business sectors, opening up opportunities for more investment and growth for both those entities and competitors alike.

The Commonwealth has hosted the following events previously:

World Lacrosse Championships (3 occasions)
Under 18 Championships (SWC 11)
AOCAF 58 (co-host with Banija) & AOCAF 65 (co-host with Turori)
World Cup 84 (co-host with Cassadaigua) & World Cup 90 (co-host with Vilita)
Baker Park Open Cup (2 occasions)
AORC Sevens (2 occasions)
AOBowl (1 occasion)
Jenna Raven Cup/Women's World Cup (2 occasions)

in addition, we hold the Presidency of the World Lacrosse Council (first term).

Tech Specs
Xkoranate with SQIS formula and additive modifiers (this has been the standard for the bids for the BOF over many of the previous editions) and a full day max bonus for rostered nations, with all RP bonus accumulative throughout. RP will be graded over a generous bonus scale.
RP that is partially or totally generated by AI should be stated as such, with a penalty of loss of all RP score should it not be disclosed and discovered subsequently.

Group sizes of five or six are the preference, and the determination of whether 16 or 24 nations advance to the knockouts would probably have a cutoff point of around 44 entries.

32—4 groups of eight, top 4 in each group advance
36—6 groups of six, top 2 in each group + next four best placed sides
40—8 groups of five, top 2 in each group
42—6 groups of seven, either same as 36 or top 4 from each group
48—8 groups of six, top 3 in each group
50—10 groups of five, same as 36
54—9 groups of six, same as 36
56—8 groups of seven, same as 48.

All matches will be played within the host nation at the numerous venues that have been part of our long hosting history.
Final group order for advancement to the knockout stage shall be determined as follows:

(Points—of course, this is NOT a tiebreaker, it is a table sorting rule; being level on points is the reason for the need for tiebreakers)
Head to Head points
Head to Head goal difference
Overall goal difference—actually I think it's more accurate to say GD against the other teams in the group, if Team A & B draw one another, but Team A beat Team C by 2 goals and Team B beat C by 1 goal and they both beat Team D by the same difference, etc.
IC coin flip—I believe I will go with raw cumulative RP score (less roster bonus)
OOC coin flip—extra xkoranated match (personally in my own cup comp that is 2 legs/total goals, if two teams are equal on score, away goals, etc. I decide by best 2 of 3—it takes a tiny bit of the crazy result element away--I usually list it as a penalty win, but that is just my way and not how I would proceed in this competition).

Cutoffs will depend upon field size, obviously every other day is the ideal. Baker Park will cutoff within a window between 10pm-12midnight Eastern U.S. Time (-5 hours GMT/Universal time) although this is subject to revision.

We will not set up a tournament of any sort under crazy parameters just for funsies; I believe that the simplest, fairest setup is best. Saying that I “believe” in this or that doesn't mean that I am dead set with doing it that way.

This is THE most important tournament in NSWC—I know it and I want it to be right for encouraging new players, encouraging their participation, nurturing their RP skills.

We will provide optional RP prompts to help those stuck for ideas to encourage world building, national team building and interesting perspectives on storytelling, of course with no additional advantage or penalty should participants opt to participate or decline.

The Football Association of the Commonwealth have long had an interest in hosting the Baptism of Fire, as it was a substantial part of our early history in NSWC participation; we feel obligated to give back to the community by hosting the tournament and providing new nations entering the World Cup with a solid baseline for further advancement.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Thu May 04, 2023 5:11 am

What FORMAT would you USE for a smaller number OF entrants? You have 32 LISTED as the lowest number BUT we ARE some way short of THAT with over 100 nations signed up for WC, so I WOULD expect BoF signups to slow. Right now there ARE six.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Thu May 04, 2023 5:17 am

Why head-to-head over goal difference?
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Kharakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 06, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Kharakia » Thu May 04, 2023 6:08 am

1. Why do some of the formats result in an uneven bracket for the knockout stage, giving some teams byes? (By my count, this is 48, 50, 54, 56, and potentially 42.)

2. Tumbra has already pointed this out, but why the strange tiebreakers? (Usually it's PTS, GD, GS, H2H PTS, H2H GD, H2H GS, AG, Extra Match, yours is H2H PTS, H2H GD, GD, Extra Match.)

3. As Graintfjall already pointed out, what if there's less than 32 participants? Will puppets be permitted entry, or will we change the format? (I'm especially concerned over there being an odd number of teams, how will you determine which each group size is?)
Population of 39.3 million.
Capital: Kharakia City
Has baseball and football national teams.
Home to a football league (combined with West Kharakia).
CAFA VI RO16

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Thu May 04, 2023 7:20 am

1. Why did you choose to set IC coin flip as raw cumulative RP score?
2. Let us say that 4 teams, A, B, C and D are tied on points. For their head-to-head, A and B +1 H2H GD, C and D are -1 H2H GD. How do you tiebreak the teams now?
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Thu May 04, 2023 3:02 pm

Tiebreaking:
I've always argued that head to head is the truest separator in a situation where two/more team have the same overall record. This has been the subject of debate numerous times and it has never been definitively been settled. Total GD can skew a table if one team happens to have a lopsided result. If I have beaten you, but you beat another team 7-2, you shouldn't have an advantage over me in any tiebreaking situation. Ever. GD is fair in a situation where round robin play doesn't occur.
Specific scenarios where unusual results enter into factoring the table are already are solved within xkorinate itself. It isn't necessary unless the table generated shows a dead heat tie. Then we can go to RP bonus to figure out the order.
Perhaps I should add either GS/GA after GD. I'm a bit surprised I didn't originally b/c I always use one in my leagues, comps, etc.
But too also brings out a debate on which is fairer.

Format:
If there are fewer than 32 entries, then a format which still results in groups of 5-6 or 7 or 8 would be set up, with the same number of participants in every group.
If there are any odd number of entries, then unfortunately one may have to be cut, likely the last entered nation. I can't imagine a scenario where I would ask for puppets to round out a field, but that doesn't mean I would rule it out completely.
As for uneven knockout stage brackets, it is not necessarily unfair to resort to such a tournament. I don't know if it's been done previously. I would have to research the issue. So more to come on that.

I will do some research to hopefully put more information into my answers, so expect a further post later. I think I covered all four of your issues, if not I'll expand after some reading.
Thanks for your diligence.

EDIT:
Additional info:
I've done a quick look at previous WC/BOF/COH/regional bids as far as Cycle 88. (Actually just the most recent regionals).
There is a fairly even split on overall GD/H2H results as first tiebreaker.
I even discovered that Graint's U18 hosting bid had no tiebreakers listed at all :lol:
Most bids had usually only ~3 factors before coin flip. Some also included wins, which I would also consider adding in.
My own WC90 bid is exactly like this one.
Only the most recent CE provided for an additional playoff round before R16.
The BOF had at least 28 entries except for the one Mertagne hosted that Ft McKinley played in, which had 18. If we had as few as that, I would be of a mind to skip the R16 and go straight to QF (as was the case then).

I know in the past I've been criticized for not being detailed enough for bids, this time I tried to correct that and cover more scenarios in detail. As in those previous bids, I have always maintained that any format would be contingent on numbers, that I am prepared to adapt as necessary.

Hope this further clarifies my answers.
Last edited by Commonwealth of Baker Park on Thu May 04, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Return to NS Sports