NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 93 - RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Atheara
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheara » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:01 am

Athearan Sport Ordering News
ASON.com.ahr/football/wc
The website for all your Athearan sporting needs, and many non sport related stories!

◯Log in or Sign up!|.Home.|.Football.|.Hockey.|.Baseball.|.Chess.|.Volleyball.|.Basketball.|.Others.|.FAQ & More▼

Football > World Cup
Call-up Opinions, The Players, and a Rumour
"The only way to make a breakthrough is by hatching through it." That was a quote I once heard from somewhere, yet I can't really remember where. And as far as I know, whoever said that could just be someone who's still doing the same thing in the hopes for a different result, something trying to do whatever it is that can give a positive outcome, or maybe whoever said it is watching their nation in the World Cup Qualifying that is yet to qualify. Speaking of qualifying, yes that is right! Atheara returns to the 93rd edition of the World Cup Qualifying, this time with a rather rejuvenated roster as more younger players were brought in. A lot of players from the previous edition's roster were also not included which was a surprise to many! Thought in the honest opinion of myself, it's completely understandable. With how Atheara seems to want to play, young and energetic players would mostly be a necessity barring some exceptions according to each situation. And well, speaking of situation, Atheara has one.

There are a few callups that not only surprised many Athearan fans and supporters, there were some callups that even sparked controversy especially among the Athearan ultras. One of the callups for the national team was so surprising that someone apparently fainted when the roster for Atheara in this edition's World Cup Qualifying was announced. Talk about an absolute shocker. Either way, that's what I really want to talk about this time around. These call ups and the potential reason they were called to the national team above others, what they could potentially offer to the team as a whole, among a few more key intricate details that most have tugged under the rug. And that isn't the only thing I want to talk about. The other thing I want to talk about is a rumour that is oddly plaguing the national team for a bit as the build up for Matchday 1 goes. I'll cover that here as well.

But first, let's look at the two call ups that surprised people the most.

CDM: Zimmerman Brusteric
LB: Graham Footwill

Of course, out of all the call ups apparently based on my research amongst Athearan communities... These two being called up to the national team made national headlines. Brusteric due to the fact that he's quite old, even older than Mugel! And as for Footwill, well, Kallen City only just joined the Athearan Super League as a whole. Sure, KCI got immediate promotion. However, the fact that a player from a new team was called up over other more experienced players is the reason there's a debate if he even deserved to be called up in the first place. And when you see it from that point of view, it's relatively understandable. Athearans want more established youngsters, those who have consistently proved themselves for a fortune. But Footwill wasn't the former, which is why there is a lot of backlash surrounding his call up. But I'll be defending both of them here today.

First of all we have Zimmerman Brusteric. He's 39 years old, was part of Atheara's 75th Baptism of Fire squad and still is a key part of Astena Rangers' midfield whenever he is fit and whenever he is played by the coach. Best friends with Mugel Krygorf, and is definitely a rather respected figure in Athearan football. Although his old age, he still proves time and time again to be an extremely valuable asset. I don't expect Brusteric to get a lot of game time under Johansson's new system of management considering he seems to more often than not choose younger players to play on the field for experience and team cohesion, but I do expect him to start at best five games, he might be a consistent substitute. Now, as for why he was called up, I believe it relates to his interview about wanting one final chance along with his best friend. Mugel might have also played a part in this choice, actually. And considering they didn't really want to upset Mugel, they called up Brusteric. That's only a guess though, but one that could certainly pay off for The Blue Guard throughout the campaign. Brusteric brings that extra experience with him, combine that with Mugel's captainship when possible and these two could become the orchestrators of the Athearan machine of cogs.

The next call up that I will be discussing here is Graham Footwill. He's currently 24 years of age and is the starting left back for Kallen City FC. Based on reports and highlights about him, combined with my own analytical research, Footwill is more of an aggressive full back who can push upwards which is something that Johansson has shown to like from time to time. Not only that, he seems to have a strong weak foot and is definitely more bulkier than most Athearan players, which might help against some of the teams The Blue Guard will be facing off against in Group 13 of the World Cup Qualifying. Another thing I can tell is that he doesn;t grab too much attention and is quite the consistent performer, a recipe for an underrated player by the fanbase. Well, except for the people who watch and support the team he plays for. My expectations for Footwill is that he'll be more of a rotational player. But who knows, maybe if he impresses with whatever minutes he gets on the pitch, he might see himself play more and more. And now, as to why I believe he was called up is because Atheara... Doesn't have a lot of young left backs. Draxler Archengate has proven himself to be a key asset for his age and many of the older LBs can't prove that they're ready or good enough. Maybe Johansson wants to nurture a third option for The Blue Guard. Who knows.

And well, with that out of the way, let's get to the main thing to be discussed. This was taken from a news outlet with the newst rumours, by the way.

THE RUMOUR: Mugel Krygorf "plans" to retire from Athearan NT after 93rd WC Cycle.

...Dear goodness me, personally, this rumour kind of hit me with pure shock in the beginning. At first I said to myself, "Nah, Mugel is staying up until at max 94. There's absolutely no way." But then I was quick to realize that was just pure denial and the information provided within the outlet was actually quite accurate. Mugel is aging, he's like, 38. Sure he's younger than Zimmerman and goalkeepers often tend to last longer in their career than most other professionals within other positions, but Mugel seems to be the exclusion. A few photos from The Blue Guard's practice had shown Mugel looking to be more tired than usual. He seemed to be oddly discontent with sitting on the bench, and you could even see him have a frown at times even during last year's World Cup Qualifying and Cup of Harmony. Not only that, but for me, my personal guess would be that Mugel is just burnt out and quite exhausted. I mean, some supporters and ultras here view him as some sort of "saviour" for Atheara at times. And sadly that's kind of been the thing when it comes to the Krygorf name. They expect you to be the best at it as one of the seven houses and to be goalkeepers.

Look, I'm not trying to deny Mugel of what he is. I'm certain that he enjoys being a goalkeeper, he has a smile after matches still more often than not whether it's a win or a loss. I know for an absolute fact that Mugel Krygorf loves doing what he does best: being a goalkeeper. However, to me and from my point of perspective, I would say he's just tired with being a goalkeeper that has to bear the Krygorf name, especially considering this is his retirement years. Not only that, another factor that might be playing into this is his lack of a relationship with someone. Look, I know that sounds rather dumb, but most if not all Krygorfs based on my own research too has had a spouse or a wife by the time they reach their prime years which is a year more or less around the age of 30. Mugel is 38, yet he has no such relationship so it might be affecting his mental status. A study that is far older has in fact, shown the relation between having a spouse and the Krygorf's mental fortitude. I really hope Mugel can hold on until the end of the cycle and even if he retires, I as a supporter and a citizen of Atheara would wish him the best. I really do hope this general opinion about goalkeepers being the massive "saviours" for a team changes sooner or later. I really hope it does.
A T H E A R A | A N A I A
"I'm not sure about being as obvious as other people."
Football
Jenna Raven Cup I Champions!
3rd in the 75th Baptism of Fire!

Ice Hockey
3rd in the 19th World Junior Hockey Championships!
Ro32 in the 47th World Cup of Hockey
If you were wondering, the girl on my flag is Vill V from Honkai Impact 3rd. Your welcome.

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am

Secretary Crewe Arrives In Altendalur For CORNCOB

ALTENDALUR, GRÆNTFJALL - Darmen's first male Secretary of State for the Environment, Jerred Crewe (LIB), arrived today in Altendalur, Græntfjall for the Convention Of Rushmori Nations on Climate, Oceans, and Biodiversity, or CORNCOB for short. CORNCOB, convened by Græntfjaller Prime Minister Kaija Michaelsdóttir, will gather various regional leaders together to discuss the effects of climate change on the region and the possibility of joint action to combat it.

CORNCOB represents a chance for Darmen to take a more active role in regional Rushmori politics. Reluctant to join the Common Rushmori Community and generally too small to make much of a difference in other arenas of international affairs, Darmen has largely taken a back seat to the regional happenings of the past few decades, the unfortunate adventures of the Rademacher administration notwithstanding. While Crewe's party, the Liberals, are far more amendable to joining up to the CRC, Crewe's superior, President of the Republic Alexander Woodrow, of the soft anserisceptic Republican Party, will be chomping at the bit to pursue regional cooperation outside of the CRC, something which Græntfjall and the other Pavolan nations have become known for since the crisis in Nyowani Kitara.

CORNCOB then also represents the first test of the Alliance for a Presidential Majority in its foreign policy. The governing coalition, made up not only of the Republican and Liberal parties, but also of the National Patriotic Party and the Civic Democratic Union, has worked well domestically so far since being formed a year ago when none of the major parties won a majority in the 2057 general election. While the parties are generally in agreement on environmental policy (albeit that for the NPP environmentalism is very near the bottom of priorities), they represent opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to points of view on the CRC and foreign policy in general. While the stakes are relatively low at a conference concerning climate action, Crewe will still need to tread carefully to avoid overstepping the desires of Woodrow when it comes to regional cooperation, lest Crewe lay the basis for future cracks in the governing coalition that could split it apart and hand power to the National Labor Party.

It will also be interesting to see how Crewe responds to the news, or even if he does so at all, that Energy Secretary Daniela Großel has approved plans to construct Darmen's fist nuclear reactor in decades in Lower Scott City-upon-Tyne to provide electricity to the greater Scott City area. While Darmen has successfully transitioned away from fossil fuels in electricity production and has done so several years ahead of schedule to boot, the reliance on hydro, solar and wind energy has created a deficit in terms of electricity produced versus that demanded. While efforts to lessen demand among the general population have met with little success, occasional rolling blackouts in the residential areas of the greater Scott City area and the surrounding cities of Buckingham, Kingsville and Super-Mare have been required to deal with the deficit.

Crewe is expected to begin his stay in Græntfjall with a brief meeting with Græntfjaller Foreign Minister Brynjúlfur Brynjarsson and potentially other visiting dignitaries before the convention begins. A finalized agreement is expected to be finished prior to the end of the weekend before Crewe returns to Darmen.

Because a plain CORNCOB is nice, but CORNCOB with BUTTER is so much better, we are happy to announce...

Businesses & Universities Together Taking Environmental Responsibility! (BUTTER!)

As part of Darmen's contribution to the World’s Green Fair held in Altendalur, several Darmeni corporations and educational institutions have forged an alliance to promote greater environmental responsibility in both the corporate and educational fields. The founding members of the alliance, to be known as Businesses & Universities Together Taking Environmental Responsibility! or BUTTER! for short, are: the Leidangr Dock Company, the Automotive Manufacturers Association, the Institute of Meteorology and the University of Science system, which has campuses in Chuckio, Hendricks City and Scott City.

BUTTER! is committed to promoting cooperation between corporations and universities to combat climate change with innovative solutions. While many corporations are already producing products that will reduce the environmental impact of their consumers, they remain aware that much more can be done to both further improve their products and reduce their environmental impact. By partnering with universities and their students, particularly in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), corporations can not only promote the furtherance of human knowledge and the preparation of future business, invention and thought leaders, but also benefit from the insights and innovations arrived through both graduate and undergraduate-level research conducted by partner institutions.

BUTTER! is not seeking to limit itself solely to Darmeni membership, but is welcoming all interested parties, both in Rushmore and around the multiverse to join.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Naixi
Envoy

Founded: Dec 31, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Naixi » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:26 pm

All over Naixi, in the large cities known as "the Two Sapphires," Qiawutian and Chumeichang, as well as across the dusty mining towns and struggling vineyards on the great plain of the country's interior, an odd pamphlet begins to be distributed on one hot and sunny afternoon, five days prior to the beginning of World Cup 93 qualification. Copies of it are stapled to wooden utility poles, taped to the windows of tea rooms and coffee shops, and left upon the floors of the halls of legislative bodies. It is a poem, short and easily digested but strange - written in an old form of Naixese Mandarin but with a quite a provocative and seditious subject matter. This has, as one may imagine, rapidly drawn the close attentions of the Naixese Celestial Council and other governmental organizations. It reads as follows.

HE THAT COMMANDS A RIGHTEOUS CLAIM, ARISE

Read of these things upon the leaves of our
Great tomes, and ye shall see the history
Of our great sorrow, and our labors long.
The Golden People took us from our homes
And let us build the marvels of their realm.
As we knew then we still know now this truth,
That we are called upon to reconstruct
The great imperium our race once made.
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!

And at those calls for rehabilitation
That were for years made loud by they the brave,
The Golden People were not Golden but
Most brutal, cruelly stamping out our words
With fire, and silence fell upon our calls.
But though the talk of a new Ming fell quiet,
There were some true believers that knew how
To say in darkened rooms in hushéd tones,
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!

So then some ten years prior to our time,
The bloodshed we did know would come to greet
The evil masters of our race began.
And we the Sanhehui emerged from years
Of secretive debate to give good help
To that one man who we all knew could lead
The fight for our own fatherland, the general
Who bears the name of Zhong Xian Xu and cries,
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!

But in the months of observation after,
In what was such a glow of liberation,
With magic promises and cold reality
Sat side by side before our gaze, we saw
That General Xu but spoke the words we wished
To hear, and never had intent to fight
For true restoring of the Ming, instead
Lavishing his children with a pile of crowns.
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!

In the cacophony of peace, it's said
By wise professors, great savants, and such,
That those who fill our councils of the state
And bear the titles and effects of Emperors
Are only watching the real brokers deal
In power and in sway. And too it's said
That those Eight Banners sewn upon our flag
Are merely icons of the wretched Qing.
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!

We ask you mind that never has this waned,
Since times that stretch into the depths of history:
Our strongest will to found the new Great Ming.
One vow we make to all of you who toil:
We will restore the righteous heir of Ming.
Another vow we make to they, the wicked,
Scheming sons and daughters of this Xu,
We slayed the Golden People, we'll slay you.
Oppose Qing!
Restore Ming!
Last edited by Naixi on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALSO UNFORTUNATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR: THE PAZHUJEB ISLANDS, KAGDAZKA, STVOTO LATOLI, & KAGDAZKA AND PAZHUJEBU

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Juvencus » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:32 pm

LA SQUADRA EMBARKING ON THE QUALIFIER ADVENTURE EARLY ON!

Gli attaccanti is entering a new era, with a fresh pair of legs and perspective

Knowing the fatigue induced on international players during the World Cup Qualifiers, World Cup and Independents Cup seasons being played all so close to each other in the summer, the Juven Football Association has decided to give the team a more spread schedule so international players get better breaks and acquire less injuries throught the season. There will be 2 international breaks for the World Cup Qualifiers, each played at some point in the first and second halves of the season. Rest assured, this is a great choice by the Juven Football Association and one that guarantees players will improve, despite the stacked schedule throught the regular season.

With that said, La Squadra is entering a new era after the last cycle. With 3rd-place finishes in both Cup of Harmony and Independents Cup under their belt and the guidance of Dudu Madeiros, gli attaccanti are ranked 38th in the world, their highest rank since the the massive rank drop of the Pandemic era. Trust is at an all-time high and maybe it should stay that way, seeing as gli attaccanti is a pot 3 team with high chances of qualification this time.

Drawn in group 1, there are several familiar faces but only one that our team has faced in recent memory. That being our Sonnelian brothers and sisters in Drawkland, which are the pot 2 side, making it highly like for 2 Sonnelian nations to progress out of this group. But who are our opponents and what details, if any, do we have about them?

Nyowani Kitara: This is a familiar nation to many but not because of sport but because of politics. People still remember not long ago the comments of his majesty the Holy Emperor, Nicola II but also what division it caused with the Parlamento Reale. While he has since retracted his comments, rumors of his majesty still personally supplying Malik Akongo's struggle went around for a while, without significant evidence. As for the football team, they are off the back of an impressive run in the last world cup, topping a group including teams like eventual World Champions Zwangzug, Farfadillis and Kelssek while managing to get through the obstacles of TJUN-ia and Pemecutan in the round of 16 and quarter-finals respectively. They were defeated by Zwangzug in the semi-final before being completely dismantled in the 3rd place playoffs by Valanora. Point is, this is an impressive team considering the circumstances it has found itself in and it has had an impressive run towards the top places of the universe, currently ranked 15th. With vigilance from Dudu Madeiros and his players, this is a winnable bout, despite the seeming quality disparity.

Drawkland: As much as being Sonnel's finest side in absolute terms, having the most world cup qualifications and time in the knockout stages, they have not had any significant break but have since instead maintained a not-so-solid streak of not breaking this toxic cycle. The Elite Eleven currently see themselves in 23rd place globally, really close to Nyowani Kitara. Our brothers north of the Revoda Sea have been a constant rival of ours in every sport and our last meeting taking place at the 3rd place playoffs in Quintessence of Dust showed that this rivalry is showing no signs of slowing down. This is the closest matchup skill-wise, though still winnable, as witnessed in the afforementioned playoffs.

Brookstation: A perennial mid-card side that seems to have been in this place since forever. There is not much information about Brookstation, other than the fact that they contain several talented players on their squad regardless. They are currently ranked 57th in the world. For this matchup, gli attaccanti should establish its dominance as it normally does.

The Licentian Isles: A team known for its talent due to its highly watched domestic league and being one of the sides to have helped with the elevation of Esportiva in multiversal relevance. Long thought gone, they recently made their return and have maintained a sold side regardless. Through that same domestic league, one of la Squadra's finest, Carlos Coste has gotten his break into the starting 11 through his development in reigning Licentian and Campionato Esportivano de Campeones champions Glenmount Town. Despite flowing with talent, gli attaccanti are expected to make a run through.

Saterun: Lazarus' greatest representation in multiversal football and a side we have faced in the past, with a positive record. The Claws are no team to be underestimated however, with a long and storied football history. Although their most major football achievement comes in the form of a Jenna Raven Cup runner-up finish. They are currently ranked 105th. La Squadra should keep a clean sweep against them too.

Macbon: Macbon is not a nation known to the Juven and as such, the first interaction will be on the field. Currently ranked 122nd. This should be a set of easy victories for gli attaccanti.

Ethane: A team formerly known as a giant in the world stage and a country with a very odd name, it being a chemical compound. Last anything was heard of them, they were off the back of an undefeated qualifiers, ready to shock the world and then they suddenly disasppeared. Ever since the team's return its players have not been the same and have not carried the name of their nation nearly as well as their predecessors. Currently sitting at 148th in the world, this should be yet another series of comfortable victories for Juvencus.

Srubnaya Culture: A squad that had a very disastrous Independents Cup debut is off the back of a respectable Baptism of Fire run to the round of 16?(Do you remember who else had that?) Besides that, not much is known of them other than the fact they contain a small roster, which should mean they should be resilient. 199th ranked currently and with that said, gli attaccanti should stomp on easily.

Lozho: Lozho is mostly known for its performance outside the scope of football, being renown cricketers for the multiverse to know. As for their football, they had a run to the round of 16 in the most recent Brevity Cup but had an equally respectful Baptism of Fire run all the way to the round of 16. Not much else is known of the Esportivan side, who are currently 217th in the world. Once again, easily winnable for la Squadra.

St Saratoga: A name that is casually tossed around in competitions yet nobody knows about. They did not have a good Baptism of Fire whatsoever. Ranked 259th in the world, as such it is needless to say how a set of victories is to be grabbed.

Oflia: Another bunch of unknowns, who managed to have an even worse run than St Saratoga. Ranked 281st in the world, it should be a stomping.

Knowing the tightness in rankings between Nyowani Kitara and Drawkland, gli attaccanti could give both of them a run for their money and realistically aim for a top spot automatic finish. The quality of the squad is at an all-time high and with many players reaching the prime of their careers, this could potentially be the time for a break at the great dance. The first two matchdays see us visiting Saterun's Sultan Stadium for the Premiere while the Revoda Sea Derby will not wait for long as the Corps will be taking a visit at the Stadio Gianluca IV. Two victories here see us on a run towards an early claim of the top spot, a thing considered as necessary as oxygen for la Squadra at this point.
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

Squornshelan Remnant States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

WC93 Post-Draw

Postby Squornshelan Remnant States » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:46 pm

Penrooke in as New Black-and-Reds Manager
Nepharan prepares the Squornshelan side for a marathon qualifying in Group 7

A Change for Continuity?

With the resignation of Anne-Sophie Groothuis, the SCFA and its president Ailen Koirala had a difficult task ahead of them. The Omerican was both the longest tenured and most successful manager in SRS history, leading second place in both categories by an immense margin. She led the team through 217 total matches, with an overall record of 116-52-49, four World Cup Qualifications, as well as one second-place and two third-place finishes at the AOCAF Cup. No other manager has coached even half so many matches, with Bethany Donnell second in that statistic with a 26-17-19 record through 72 matches. After that it's Lopal Daror's 31 matches (15-5-11), Kornelie Tamela's 30 (14-5-11), and Heldir Zaman's ill-fated 19 matches (8-7-4). Of those, Donnell was the only other to reach a semifinal of any sort, taking third place at IAC 8. Under Groothuis, the national team claimed its 100th victory, and then its 150th, now standing at 184 wins in 353 competitive matches.

To put it bluntly, Groothuis's shoes will not be easily filled.

Enter Gareth Penrooke. Most recently of AFC Corvistone, the Nepharan couldn't quite bring the club to the level the board desired, but still has a record of excellent results at 3 prior Zenith postings. Naturally, he brings a good working relationship with center mid Talia Nisarizo from their time together at Corvistone, but will have a bit of a feeling out period with the rest of the roster. His appointment has been met with a mixed reception by the sporting press and supporters online, with many opining that his employment of similar tactical structures was more a deciding factor than it ought to have been. "Bringing on Penrooke feels like cowardice," wrote popular and reliably outspoken sports blogger Salwan Mynhier. "Koirala's afraid to hurt people's feelings by making the actual changes needed to get to the next level. She'll just plug Penrooke in to run Groothuis's old system and the team will tread water for another couple of cycles. No team has ever won the Cup by playing it safe."

In fact, Penrooke's introductory press conference ahead of Qualifying matchday one got somewhat more contentious than usual, as the sporting media present declined to mince words as to the lack of enthusiasm from certain sectors. Getting full marks for bravery, if not necessarily good sense in possibly alienating the press on his first day, Penrooke fired back at the pointed questions.

"I think it's ridiculous to talk about making a "safe" pick. There's nothing safe about football. Just look at the list of teams that didn't make the cut last time out. Brenecia, Pasarga, Audioslavia, Starblaydia, and The Holy Empire. All top-class sides that most people probably thought were safe bets. So, no. I'm not here for any reason to do with safety or caution or bet-hedging whatsoever. I'm here to win, whatever it takes."

Penrooke left no doubt about his mindset taking over the job, but did offer some reassurance to those concerned about wholesale turnover of the roster with a new boss on the touchline.

"I'm also not here to reinvent the wheel. We have a talented group of players with a lot of chemistry together, and its my job to keep them on their best form, and to keep an eye out for those others who might be ready to join this group. That's all. It's nothing revolutionary. You don't tear down a team on the rise and start over from scratch just because there's a new face behind the manager's desk."

The Oldest of Old Foes

One can hope that Penrooke is as prepared for tactical and man-management as he was for fielding questions, as the expectations of the team heading into qualification are higher than ever before. For the first time in an ungodly number of years (104 by current timekeeping methods if you want to be precise) a Squornshelan team found itself in Pot 1 for the World Cup Qualifying draw. The government is different, of course, but the territory is the same, albeit relocated and somewhat reshaped over the past century, such is the wild and wacky multiverse we inhabit. Thus it somehow seems appropriate that that most ancient of Squornshelan foes is present on this occasion, oh but wait. We'll get to that presently. Let's start from the bottom.

The Black-and-Reds were the last team drawn into Group 7, top seed as 13th-ranked side in the multiverse. Is the pressure very much on for new manager Gareth Penrook? Yes, yes it is. Perhaps that sheds some light on his contentious introduction presser. Or maybe that's just how he is. Time may tell. Time (future time to be preciese) will also have to tell regarding the lower seeds in the group, as the past has no insight to lend. Aeragny, Obrela, and Ryfenia are all new to the international football scene, having made their debuts in the newly completed 80th Baptism of Fire. Of those three, only Aeragny (or is it Airannia?) made the knockouts, with Obrela just missing out from Group A and Ryfenia finishing winless at the bottom of Group C. The Airannians advanced at the expense of Ascvalion, and topped Patriolandia in the quarters before falling to Archalit in the semifinal. Still, it speaks well of the team and their manager, Nicklas Broden, that they rallied from that disappointment to take third place in convincing fashion. As for the last seed, Murphtannia are a returning nation, but not one that has any history with the Black-and-Reds.

Moving into the midsection, if you will, of the group, we find a few nations that we've, well, found before. Boring Paradise, the eighth seed, are the second-most recently faced opponent for the Black-and-Reds, having met them just last cycle, and even taken a point off us in a sloppy draw early in qualifying. Other former qualifying opponents of recent history are found not much further up the group seed list. The Black-and-Reds took full points against StrayaRoos three cycles ago, and four points against Eshialand five cycles ago. The only other Atlantian Oceanian side in the group, Equestria, have never faced the Black-and-Reds in a competitive match. The only meeting between these sides came nearly 10 cycles ago in a friendly match prior to IAC8, which the ponies dominated. Don't look for that result again.

The Black-and-Reds have no past meetings with fifth and third seeds Astograth and Valentine Z, and now we come to the meat of this particular matter. Squornshelous has 7 total past matches against the teams seeded 3rd to 12th. We have 8 against the second seed, who are also our most recent opponent of any of the 11 we'll be facing during qualifying, and our oldest opponent of any. I'm speaking, of course, of Audioslavia.

"What's the difference between World Cup 5 and World Cup 92?"
"It takes Squornshelous two matches to win 4-0 in World Cup 92."

Yeah it was funnier the first time to me too. Point is, these matches are going to be nasty. Audioslavia were favorites, albeit narrow ones, heading into last cycle's qualifying playoff. Only the most fatalistic of Audioslavian commentators (to be fair there seem to be a lot of Audioslavians who fit that description) would have predicted an aggregate loss, let alone such a lopsided one. A match against Audioslavia is bound to be filled with shithousery and gamesmanship under normal circumstances. Coming off such a fresh embarrassment, against an ancient enemy, on the opening match of qualifying, at home? Yeah, the Bulls are sure to be in rare form.

Hell of a debut match for Penrooke. Welcome aboard, bucko.

Qualifying Matchday Schedule:
MD01: AUD v SRS @ Arena Kirola (cap. 72,000), Cathair, AUD
MD02: SRS v RYF @ Flanoil Arena (cap. 50,350), Traal, West Flania, SRS
MD03: STR v SRS @ TBA
MD04: VEZ v SRS @ Fate Stadium (cap. 333,000), Naypyithaw, Burma, Val Z
MD05: SRS v AER @ The Lutenstaad (cap. 75,000), Lutenblag, Molvania, SRS
MD06: ASG v SRS @ TBA
MD07: SRS v EQS @ Olympiastad (cap. 47,550), Arkintoofle, Megabrantis, SRS
MD08: OBR v SRS @ TBA
MD09: SRS v BRP @ Pheldagriff Stadium (cap. 45,620), Yassaca, Sivolvia, SRS
MD10: MUR v SRS @ TBA
MD11: SRS v ESL @ Admiral Cherenkov Stadium (cap. 71,200), Santraginus, Isle of Squornshelous, SRS
MD12: SRS v AUD @ Vogsphere Arena (cap. 90,000), Vogsphere, Isle of Squornshelous, SRS
MD13: RYF v SRS @ TBA
MD14: SRS v STR @ Sunergy Field (cap. 37,550), Hunian, Algolia, SRS
MD15: SRS v VEZ @ Bridger Lane (cap. 72,406), Damogran, Algolia, SRS
MD16: AER v SRS @ Centerby Stadion (cap. 36,000), Vorácy, AER
MD17: SRS v ASG @ Megabrantid Financial Field (cap. 69,245), Brantisvogan, Megabrantis, SRS
MD18: EQS v SRS @ TBA
MD19: SRS v OBR @ Malgacorp Arena (cap. 29,350), Hensha, Megabrantis, SRS
MD20: BRP v SRS @ TBA
MD21: SRS v MUR @ Green Heart Center (cap. 20,760), Han Wavel, Han Dold, SRS
MD22: ESL v SRS @ Eshialand City Superdome (cap. 75,000), Eshialand City, ESL
The Confederacy of Squornshelan Remnant States
Successor State to the Imperium of Squornshelous
World Cup 31 Champions
AOCAF Cup 69 Champions
ARC 1 Champions
World Cup:
2nd: 15, 38
3rd: 20, 25
SF: 18, 27
QF: 5, 11, 12, 22, 30, 32, 33, 34, 40
Ro16: 6, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23, 24, 28, 36, 37, 39, 90, 93
Group Stage: 8, 10, 13, 17, 19, 26, 29, 35, 41, 88, 91, 92, 94
DNQ: 14, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 95
Cup of Harmony:
QF: 6, 73, 75, 81
Ro16: 74
Ro32: 79
Group Stage: 76, 77, 87
Regional:
2nd: AOCAF65
3rd: IAC8, AOCAF67, AOCAF68
QF: IAC10, IAC13, AOCAF66, AOCAF70
2nd Round: IAC6, IAC7, IAC12
1st Round: IAC9, IAC11
Other:
BoF68 QF

Squorn is an unknowable entity -Mriin

Stevencousin
Diplomat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Stevencousin » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:10 pm

Stevencousin Constabulary Service

Stevencousin Constabulary Service Covert Branch (COBRA).

Stevencousin Constabulary Service has 5 departments involved in crime prevention, namely the Criminal Investigation Department, the Narcotics Crime Investigation Department, the Department of Internal Security and Public Order, the Covert Branch, and the Commercial Crime Investigation Department. These departments are headed by directors with the rank of Police Commissioner (Three Star Generals).

The COBRA department is the intelligence wing responsible for collecting intelligence for national security. Among other things, its role is to collect security intelligence related to threats from inside and outside the country, and any subversive and sabotage activities by extremist groups or individuals that may threaten the stability of the country. Next obtaining, processing, evaluating, and distributing information and giving advice to departments inside and outside the team, as well as relevant organizations. This department is divided into several branches such as:- Technical Intelligence, Social Intelligence, External Intelligence, Political Intelligence, Economic Intelligence, and Security Intelligence. This branch is headed by a Commissioner of Police (CP).

Simply put, this Covert Branch (COBRA) is considered intelligence for the police force, just like the intelligence corps for Military Forces. Customs also have their intel team. What's unique is that this COBRA processes all the information from the various branches of Intel. It is certain that their duties are related to all State secrets & are rarely discussed by the public & they are subject to the Dominion Confidential Orders.

The task of undercover the Stevencousin Constabulary Service is not only in the Covert Branch but also to members of other departments such as the Criminal Investigation Department, Narcotics Department, and Commercial Crime Department. The Traffic Branch also goes undercover to carry out its operations. The main task that is the heart of this Covert Branch is intelligence for the purpose of channeling, consolidation, collection, use, and so on of various types of information. The selection of members is usually done after completing basic training or in the service to undergo further courses at the Covert Branch Training Academy (Ordre de la Thoison Academy). The screening and evaluation process is like the selection process for Direct Action Team, but not all those selected will be successful.

This COBRA task requires a lot of 'opening files', a lot of writing, and focusing on follow-through investigation. Their duties are also various investigation processes, including finding information, verifying it, recording evidence, and taking action on the news. In the Covert Branch of the Stevencousin Constabulary Service, they do intelligent procurement that is aimed at elements of politics and public order. According to 2019 statistics, 976 Stevencousin Constabulary Service members were assigned to the Covert Branch.

GCD Trucks Proteus ISV using by Constabulary Service Direct Action Team

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

qualifying venue schedule

Postby Drawkland » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:19 pm

These are the venues for Drawkland's World Cup 93 Qualifying home games.

We feel this is the best time to remind you that Drawkand has been undefeated at home for the last two cycles. Besides the 1-1 draw against Starblaydia on the final matchday, every home game in WC92 resulted in a win for the Kick Corps. The last time Drawkland lost at home was MD5 of the WC90 qualifiers, a 2-3 loss to Geektopia in Metropolon. Obviously you can't take anything for granted ... but teams traveling to these grand Drawkian fortresses, beware!

WC93 Qualifying Home Schedule
Matchday, Opponent, Stadium Name, Capacity, City
Kick Corps record at stadium (plus a nickname if one exists)
Fun fact about venue

MD1 vs Macbon: Spartan Veteran Stadium (107,500), Sadeg
Kick Corps record at the Vet: 34-8-12
Once again, the Elite Eleven will begin and end their campaign in their hometown, Sadeg.
The last game played here was the 3-2 penalty playoff win to send Drawkland to the World Cup last cycle.

MD3 vs Ethane: National Pitch (149,000), Metropolon
Kick Corps record in NatPitch: 4-1-1
This dome is one of the few Drawkian soccer stadiums with an artificial turf surface.

MD5 vs Srubnaya Culture: Corps Central Pitch (150,500), Drawk City
Kick Corps record at the home of Drawk Corps soccer: 6-7-3
This will be the first qualifying game ever held at Corps Central Pitch.
Usually Drawk City Stadium gets the bid, but the additional home game this cycle allowed an additional fixture in Drawk City.

MD6 vs Nyowani Kitara: Drawk City Stadium (175,000), Drawk City
Kick Corps record at the de facto national soccer stadium: 36-14-3
This stadium played host to several 7 Nation Cup games, including a pair of Drawkland wins.

MD8 vs Brookstation: Thunder Park (105,500), Jaffro
Kick Corps record in the Eye of the Storm: 2-0-0
Home of the Jaffro Storm, this stadium features a retractable roof.

MD10 vs Lozho: Castle Stadium (149,500), Raikennax
Kick Corps record at the Charge's Fortress: 9-1-1
This stadium was the site of Drawkland's first World Cup knockout match, a penalty loss to Vilita in WC86.

MD13 vs Juvencus: Panar Bank Park (99,000), Masteser
Kick Corps record at PBP: 1-1-1
Masteser is the home to the largest group of ethnic Juven in Drawkland.
Is playing Juvencus here unwise? Probably!

MD15 vs Saterun: Archifel Capital Stadium (61,200), Panua Caru
Kick Corps record on the Isles: 1-0-0
The only Kick Corps match held here was in WC82 qualifiers, a 4-3 win over San Rocca.
This open-air tropical stadium also hosted matches in Baptism of Fire 65.

MD18 vs The Licentian Isles: Kanyo Pitch (164,000), Kayo
Kick Corps record at the Crown Ring: 5-1-2
This bowl-like stadium is perfectly circular on the outside and split into 12 even sections.

MD20 vs St Saratoga: The Root Field (133,300), Elstrund
Kick Corps record in Elstrund's Shadow: 5-1-1
Last cycle, this field played host to a 4-3 win over Milchama.
The great tree Elstrund nearby played host to a significant event the day after.

MD22 vs Oflia: Spartan Veteran Stadium (107,500), Sadeg
Kick Corps record at the Vet: 33-7-12
"The Vet" is notable for the huge obelisk monument called "The Spire" located in a plaza outside the stadium.
Before every game, the Elite Eleven pay their respects at the Spire for luck.

If you want more details about any of these venues, let me know and I'll be glad to provide them.
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Qasden
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 09, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Qasden » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:23 pm

The Next New Hope: Munson Era Banks on Rebound
By Tex Preston
In all the years I've dedicated myself to the QAFA organization, never have I seen them suits in such a volatile state of agony. Icarus Darsten was supposed to be the messiah of Qad football, the man who would rip the Vans out of their Zimari-stained funk to put the spotlight back on them. Instead, we got a 9th place finish and a stuttering in our progress towards regional powerhouse status. Icarus, in all my personal conflicts of interest with the guy, was just ahead of his game. Players can only manage well if the people teaching them how to manage can manage well. Zimari, save the AOCAF 62 final, did not meet such expectations; ergo, the Destined Darsten Days of Domination were Doomed from the start. Such a defeat was vectoring, humbling even, but were if not for it, then the organization's next last gasp wouldn't have felt so truthful in gospellic fashion.

Valentijn Munson now steps up to the plate, taking on an increasingly uphill battle in the World Cup Qualifiers. The nation now stands at 105th multiversally, a farcry from the days she danced with legends in the upper 20's. Regardless of that number, some small rays of hope do shine, as bright as they are dim. Calcio Calico clamored up a quarter-final finish in a tournament where the Round of 16 was their expected gravesite. Callups from the U21 team from the disastrous DBC campaign have, fortunately, been showing themselves in an improving light during scarce moments of practice between domestics and exterior forces. For now, we tread the waters lightly, with Munson's ultimate goal being to take back the Top 5 of our group, to bring us into a threatening Cup of Harmony, and maybe...just maybe, slap a 3rd silver star on the crest's constellation of unexpected triumphs. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here, but those are her words, after all, not mine.

Qasden is going into its 17th trip towards WCC gameplay, having not visited the Proper's pearly gates since World Cup 85, a mere 3 eras of management ago. Entering Group 5 as the Pot 6 tribute, the Blue-Reds are all but counted out in a dazzling allocation of some of the multiverse's greatest Already-Are's and Soon-to-Be's, pitting several of the newly crowned champions of highly acclaimed tournaments with other talented squads poised for one of the 3 seats of advancement offered. Among these star-studders stands Graintfjall, the 'group titan' and winners of World Cup 91. Their icy hot gameplay is scorchingly cold to the touch, with some of their biggest prodigies playing for title-encumbered clubs. You've got Adab and Yue Zhou, two growing nations that have, in recent years, exploded onto the football scene, no longer being easy absences from the Final 32. Our AO friends in Gyatso-Kai and Canadian Dominion are steady faces in deep regional gameplay, and with stellar Cup of Harmony performances following them, it'd be heresy to consider them anything but close competition. Talamia, Dod Rava, and even the Champions themselves, Kirungabi, are also levying their support for the BoF Class of 80 representation in the group. Our closest rivals in this tournament preliminary stands to be the 119th Natanians and Nosts, an old, friendly rival of the Vans, who we've contested in qualifiers with in the elder days of old. Lastly, we have the 2 teams we're expecting to face off in the opening hours of this session, starting with one of the hottest returning faces to the situation: Ceni.

The masterminds of all things tennis and olympics have returned to the World Cup foray, and they don't expect us to be a light foe for the season's opening act. Having been a co-hosting country from both of our debut cycles all those years back, the tiny, urban nation prides itself with aggressive go-getters, filling its squad sheets with sleuths of hopefuls trying to become the country's next Andrew Arrowsword, an infamous name that somehow isn't fed up with the sport yet. Of course, what else would you expect from the Pot 4 nation, an awkward spot that brings them ever-so tantalizingly close to qualification, that failure now can't be expected to be accepted. The throttling start of our 93 series starts with the Orange and Red at City Centre, home of that one tennis tournament we just had some Qads in. Given the familiarity with the team and landscape, the battle is presumed to be electric on both legs, with the return fight in Fyre being no less dramatic.

The largest promise the Cenian side has to upending us is their sense of anonymity within our ranks. While true, many a Qads played abroad for them in my days with the club, only one member of the current 26 so much as plays in the same league with any of them, leading Carl K Umstroke as the talk of the town in locker room hangouts.

Of course, the unexpected is all any fan should expect out of the World Cup Qualifiers, and who better to deliver that sense than the ultimate debuters of the qualifying session, our first opponents at home: Stevencousin.

Despite having skipped out on the Baptism of Fire, these lions don't expect to bring any less heat into a group already on fire. Handling a style and formation of play eerily similar to our own, this group gouger might play a key role in the upsets of tomorrow. Captain Arnaud Zubar's leverage as a talented leader and decisionmaker makes him the greatest comparison we'd have to date to attack our own rock of the squad, Captain Genivieve Orville, making this clash at Hotchskarth Cabin a battle of tactical balance rather than blatant aggression.

Outside Zubar, their squad partially consists of Khantari nationals sniped by coach Otto von Linkworth, bringing them into the fold of a team entirely set up through grassroots domestic play within Stevencousin's league. While their potency for danger down the line is still up in the air, what isn't is how combative we'll need to be against them to avoid upsetting the hometown fans in a city that already knows what its like to play second fiddle.
So there we have it, the eleven teams the Vans are poised to take on over the coming timeloops. Can Valentijn Munson pull off the same magic she did years ago and take this team to the high standards she set? Will Calcio Calico bring about its long-expected downfall to a halt before the Unders get in? Stay tuned, stay updated, and stay alert for the future of Qad Football, live from the road to Chromatika and Tumbra!
Sporting Achievements
World Cup Ranking: 49th; KPB: 15.66; Style: 0
/ᐠ. 。.ᐟ\ᵐᵉᵒʷˎˊ˗

Varavel
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Varavel » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:43 pm

OOC: Read Part 1 here

Geoffrey Windels - CEO of the Varavel Football Federation
Three weeks and three days ago

Geoffrey Windels was in the back of an SUV accompanied by three mysterious, well dressed men who had intercepted him at the airport while he was on his way to watch the Varavel National team compete at the Baptism of Fire. He didn't know where he was going, but had a sinking feeling he knew who he was going to meet. A month ago, Geoffrey was contacted by associates of Baptiste De Klerk, the CEO of Argrid, the supplier of 90% of Varavel's electricity. They had wired him 750,000 NSD into a secure account they had preemptively opened for him with two demands.

Demand 1: Name Prewitt Brousse as the Manager of the National Team.
Mr. Brousse was the manager of Goldstedt KSV, the club that Mr. De Klerk owned 85% of.
Demand 2: Allow Baptiste De Klerk to secretly chair the committee organizing the new pyramid of Varavelan domestic football.
De Klerk's proposal was to keep Geoffrey as the CEO of the VFF and chair of the committee, but to be controlled by De Klerk.

Geoffrey had ignored De Klerk's offer at first and when pressed about it two weeks ago, he declined it and boldly told the associates that they could tell Mr. De Klerk that he had no interest in the plan and to stand down before Geoffrey reported the attempted bribe. Now, he figured he was on his way to meet Mr. De Klerk.

The SUV got off the next exit and pulled into a field where a helicopter was sitting with its propellers whirling. Geoffrey was led out of the SUV and onto the helicopter which lifted off the ground and headed west.

"Towards the sea. Well this is fucking fantastic" Geoffrey thought sarcastically. The helicopter continued to head west until it was well off shore and began to approach what was obviously Baptiste De Klerk's super-yacht.

The helicopter touched down on the helipad at the back of the boat. Geoffrey was led off the helicopter and met by another well dressed mystery man who led him inside the yacht. The two men walked down a short hallway and turned left into a lounge room. Geoffrey was stunned. Sitting in one wing chair in a cloud of cigar smoke was Baptiste De Klerk as Geoffrey expected, but sitting to De Klerk's right was Xander Louage, President of the Board of the Varavel Football Federation, appointed to his position by Joos Van Agteren, the Deputy Minister of State for Health, Welfare and Sport and more importantly, Geoffrey's boss. In front of De Klerk and with her back towards Geoffrey was Ilse Marin, President of the VaraSport Media Company. VaraSport is the primary broadcast network and sport news site in Varavel. Geoffrey had worked with Ilse to plan the unveiling of the National Team and its first competition at the Baptism of Fire. A chill went down Geoffrey's spine as he began to piece together what was happening.

"Geoffrey, welcome!" De Klerk said sinisterly. "You obviously know my other two guests. Let's get right to it, shall we? Because you decided to threaten me with going to the government over my proposal, I made the same offer to Ms. Marin to halt all coverage of the Baptism of Fire and withhold her reporters and broadcast crews from the event. The Varavelan public won't know what's happening, they won't be following the team and those that are upset will point their fingers at you." I also made an offer to your boss, Mr. Louage which he accepted to ensure that you follow through with the plan. You don't have a choice, Geoffrey. If you try to report me, I will have Xander dismiss you and Ilse will leak stories that you will not be able to recover from. You have nowhere to hide. I have added an additional 200,000 NSD to your account that I opened for you. When you complete the tasks I asked of you, an additional 450,000 NSD will be added. That takes you to 1.4 million NSD. I will make sure I continue to take care of you and your family as you do the things I ask.

Geoffrey sat down in an empty chair and put his head in his hands. He had worked hard to get to where he was. Ten years ago while Varavel was still under Nacaltoran rule, he would've never dreamed he'd be leading and organizing a professional football organization. Now, he felt as though there was a gun pointed at his head. He could keep his dream job, but he'd be nothing but a puppet. He could fight it, but his reputation and future would be in total ruin. He also couldn't be sure if his family would be safe. He was at a crossroads and made the only decision he felt he could make. Geoffrey looked up at De Klerk, stared at him for a long second and uttered the words. "I'm in".

"Good choice, Geoff" Xander Louage said. Geoffrey still couldn't believe that Xander had willingly allowed himself to be bribed. Within five years of its inception, the Varavel Football Federation had been bought and sold.

Baptiste De Klerk kept his new business partners on the yacht for another 2 days, planning his silent, but not so gradual takeover of the VFF and the football landscape in Varavel. At that point, all four of them boarded the helicopter which landed in an open field on the outskirts of the capital city of Glendoorn. Four cars were waiting beside the field to take each of them back to their homes. For Geoffrey, it was an hour ride back to Cerlun where his thoughts were swimming with guilt and anger. Geoffrey chose to suppress those feelings. He had a job to carry on with as if nothing had changed. If he was successful, he would gain considerable wealth for himself and use the financial resources of Baptiste De Klerk to fund a National Team and domestic system that the country would blindly fall in love with.

Yue Zhou
Envoy

Founded: Jun 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Yue Zhou » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:56 pm

President Taps Wang for CORNCOB despite Outcry from Left
Li Hongwen, the Nangang Daily

President Zhen Qiang has appointed former Jiangdong Lieutenant Governor and Current Assemblyman Wang Boqin to be the Yue Special Envoy to CORNCOB, the climate summit to be held in Altendalur, Græntfjall. In a press release this morning announcing the appointment, the President's office pointed to Wang's championing of biodiesel in the Yue Assembly as proof that he would be a "Clean Energy Champion" at the summit. However, Wang's alleged involvement with the Græntfjaller petroleum company Überolía has caused public outrage, with Progressive Democrats Deputy Leader Tang Zhelan calling the appointment "indicative of a blatant disregard for the environment that National Union has shown time and time again."

At forty-seven, Wang has been called one of the "rising stars in Jiangdong politics". After abandoning a career as a barrister to fight in the Yue Civil War, Wang found himself promoted all the way to Secretary of State in the separatist Jiangdong Republic. While the Republic would eventually be folded into the United Republics of Yuezhou, Wang's wartime service earned him several medals and a reputation as one of the better policy minds in Jiangdong. There were even rumors that the Yue right was trying to draft him into running for Governor, although he ultimately chose not to challenge the popular incumbent Zhang Yong. Wang's term as lieutenant governor was generally considered successful, and he won election to the Yue Assembly handily upon its conclusion. Reportedly catching President Zhen's eye after an impassioned foreign policy speech in the Assembly, Wang will be hoping to parlay his first cabinet appointment into bigger positions down the road.

However, while Wang avoided the direct fallout of the Überolía-Jiangdong corruption scandal, the heavy foreign direct investment proportion of his duties as Lieutenant Governor has led many to believe that he received "solidarity payments" from the Græntfjaller company. The fact that the main scapegoat for the bribery scandal, Deputy Secretary of Commerce Lin Lufei, was a major rival of Wang's in Jiangdong politics has only added fuel to the fire of the left's conspiracy theories. Still, despite the public opposition, not even Progressive Democrats leader Shang Ziyang (who has largely taken the party to the center) has publicly opposed the appointment, and it is unlikely that Wang's ascension could be halted.

As the United Republics' representative at CORNCOB, Wang is unlikely to commit the Yue government to significant emissions-reducing policy changes. As the representative of a still-developing Yue government, he is instead likely to condition any policy commitments on receiving subsidies from more developed nations. Still, for the fledgling Yue environmentalist movement, there is hope that his past action on biodiesel, as well as the more left-leaning influence of Forward Path (who are sending two AMs of their own to the conference, perhaps to modulate the influence of National Union's right flank on Yue negotiations), will at least leave him open to more significant action.
Last edited by Yue Zhou on Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United Republics of Yuezhou (月州联合共和国)
Leader: President Zhuang Weilun
Capital: Nangang • Population: ~35,000,000

Saint Eleanor
Envoy

Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

What do the White Stars think about... World Cup qualifying?

Postby Saint Eleanor » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 pm

This is not the CoH84 final roleplay. Llama, I pinky-swear I'll get it up as soon as I can. IRL and, yes, NSS have been tying me down a bit! With that said, please enjoy the following preview:

Cup of Harmony 84 - final
Yuezhou 2 (Liu Huiying goal 8', Luo Dan goal 79')
Saint Eleanor 4 (David Newcastle goal 21', Steve Pilchard goal 37', Melcheta Pazorzal goal 66', Esther Launceston goal 90+3')
Throughout the World Cup qualifiers, we'll be asking everybody in the Eleanorian squad their opinion on key matters - some topical, some not so topical, some completely random. And none of them generated by AI. Insert joke about Bridget Coombe being the closest thing we have to artificial intelligence anyway. With 50% reduced further ado...

Saint Eleanor's qualifiers begin in two days with a home tie against Mertagne, who you eliminated from the Cup of Harmony quarterfinals - a tournament you won.

How are you feeling?

John Bailey: There are a few very good reasons to look forward to qualifying, but I can't see myself agreeing with the argument that defeating Mertagne once entitles us to defeat them forevermore. We have some of the lowest levels of Anaian pride in the whole region. They're part of the Anaian bedrock, so to speak. Politics doesn't change drastically over months - I don't think it ever changes in Saint Eleanor - but I'd imagine the reactions would vary!

Cathy Winchester: All of our qualifiers - from the first against Mertagne to the last against just Aureumterra, not Aureumterra the Third, as I'm sure those forsaken WCC form-sifters are aware - are going to be crucial. Dropped points here, there, and almost everywhere will cost us very, very dearly. Nobody wants to do that. If we drop points against the third seeds at home, who knows where next?

Exandra Davies: What matters is avenging Græntfjall's World Cup win. We can't do that unless we win everywhere else as often as we can. That goes for here, too.

Sam Newbridge: You'd think this would be important. But I talked to a couple of lads on the street the other day and they said "it's just a game." I mean, you've just won the Cup of Harmony, you'd say that if you didn't know anything. We have everything we need to know and I'd say we have a fighting chance, do we, now?

Liam West: Without saying too much, we've been doing very well in training. I trust that we'll be able to go one step further than we did last year and get off to a good start. Not a wobbly one that sets the pace for the rest of the campaign like we did last campaign.

Bridget Coombe: Are we going to not qualify again? That would fit in with my experience at Latrobe. In seriousness, I honestly don't agree with the suggestions from certain circles that we're entitled to perform well during qualifying, or thereabouts. We were thoroughly outmatched as the quarterfinal crept into extra time - although I'm quite thankful we won that day - and weren't exactly at our best for a few of the earlier matches. My chats with most of the squad would suggest they're well aware they need to work harder than they did at the Cup of Harmony; it's a challenge, but one I think they can live up to.

David Newcastle: Attention, attention, attention - attention is the one thing I'll never stop calling attention to. Sorry! We were lacking attention against Poafmersia, the Cordian Isles, New South Yukon and Nyowani Kitara last cycle, to name but a few. We were even subpar for the first few minutes against Yuezhou in the Cup of Harmony final. I can't make any promises - I'm one player, not eleven, though some people wish I was - but we're probably well-drilled enough to put up enough of a fight. Then, one qualifier at a time.

Sylvia Hollenberg: We're really doing this again, are we? Ooooh... tough call, this. As far as I can tell, we have enough in the tank for the next game, which is what counts. What we need to do is make sure we don't have to refuel, put some new engine oil in, refit our tires, or - worse - have somebody break into the car and reset the odometer. I'll make an allowance for a bit of Torch at the services, mind. Triple cheeseburger and a green Aurora, please?

Dekamela weMexala: I don't think most people would admit they're a bit nervous at this stage, but I am! I've been thinking about this lately and so much of my free time has been spent talking to my husband with a cup of coffee at the dinner table asking: what's happening? Can I do this - and how? How do I know this won't end up in failure? I've done this in big games before, but as far as I'm concerned, this is up there; I'll find a way, but where?

Steve Pilchard: I've been around for all of them and I can tell you that it is big. We've seen far too many times how the first game or two has set the tone and pace for the rest of the campaign. If we don't get off to a good start against Mertagne, we might struggle. If we don't get a really good result against Borisuelo, we can say goodbye to qualifying... again. Not what anybody really wants after last time.

Jessica Martin: I'm not quite sure I could ever get over the final win; it wasn't the best game I've ever had, but it was the best game we've ever had! That'll definitely weigh on our expectations heading into the next few days or so; a few of the players might be a bit heady, but I've made it clear I don't want it to affect their performances. Bridget's one of the more sceptical ones but she turned up for the team meeting yesterday morning with a completely unshakable smile, so that says something.

Tim Brandon: Mertagne? Hardly the most terrifying thing I've ever had to face - Saint Eleanor's done it already. I reckon we could do it again, although the Mertagnians have the advantage if we don't do anything. A bit of a push might get us somewhere; a linked-up plan to support defence and attack, well-drilled individuals and groups, and typical Eleanorian magic should see us through. We've got plenty of that, and a very successful tournament's experience with the players and the formation they fit into too.

Georgia Wood: There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking that Saint Eleanor can deliver an assertive performance against Mertagne, but it's not something we should necessarily expect. We might need to recalibrate overall expectations a bit if the match doesn't go as we hope, for instance - but I'd like a rational reassessment, not one based on whatever certain supporters think at that moment. For the time being, however, I'm cautiously looking forward to a challenge for second place.

Hugh Roanoke: Big game, this one. If anything, I'd be looking forward to how each of the players match up to each other. I'm not saying it's a simple "whoever wins more wins overall" thing, and there have been a few changes on both sides heading into this one - for starters, no Lydia Gomboult. Get fucked, lady. If we can really break them down on a regular, consistent and broad basis, to put it shortly, I'd say we have a really good shot. And make sure to rinse and repeat.

Lydia Nicholls: I'd like to have kids first before I talk about playing in matches I've been asked not to play in! If I had to say, I'd trust Sylvia to pop up with a big moment and Saint Eleanor to beat somebody like Sendhang in the playoffs. Oh - did I say Sendhang? This has got to be a good sign, right?

Esther Launceston: Winning the Cup of Harmony was a good first step - a good step, full stop, depending on whether you think further success is a prerequisite for this generation. Some people think we need a few more years and a new generation to settle. I'm still confident we can get moving, make the World Cup, hopefully book our tickets to the last sixteen for the first time - and from there, who knows? And what's not to say we can't break out of the doom loop?

Adam Denby: I'm used enough to failure by this point that I wouldn't at all be surprised if Esther gets herself sent off two minutes from time and then Mertagne scores the penalty that results to win them the match. Not like that'll happen - she's a sensible person, but you see what I mean. We could be worldbeaters, but not unless we really get up and start to work on ourselves. If not in the coming few games, I'd have to ask "when?"

Aaron Francis: We're going to do good, but not so good people are going to dazzle us. Wait, who's supposed to be doing the dazzling here? Not that it really matters when we look like we're set enough for a stack of pretty neat results all over. We have to actually make sure they happened - else everybody's going to laugh at me, yet again, except for my teammates. They like me. They are, obviously, my teammates. We can do this!

Harriet Williams: No more Katie... not even in a nominal, I'm-just-here-to-watch role? And there hasn't been any Alice for a while. Obviously I'll wish the team all the best, but I think everyone agrees I'm at the end of my national-team rope and just here while the next big midfielder comes through the system. If I'm needed, then I'm needed - but it probably won't be here. You're looking at the IFCF more, for instance.

Naresmet taFrexala: Are you being serious? This is massive! This is something I am absolutely pumped for - start of a new cycle, start of a new season, it's a big home game where you need to make a huge first impression and I'm confident we can get off to a top start here, everybody on track, everybody on full power, and everybody aware of what they're doing. There was a lack of focus in some of the earlier games, which was sad - but looking back, it was really a tactical issue that's been resolved for years now.

Christina Fulton: When everyone around you has international silverware and you have a degree from the Polytechnic, it's a bit hard to set realistic expectations. It'll be an emotional rollercoaster either way, however: they're coming off reforms and have high expectations, we're coming off a big few months and I won't even imagine what the fans are going to be like.

Rick Goldsmith: I didn't win the Cup of Harmony, mate. Not even close. I was sat there, in front of the TV, shouting WHAT THE FUCK, ADAM? THAT WAS ALWAYS GOING IN! But I've been told I'm fitting in really well to the team and while I don't expect to play tomorrow, I think we can make an impression as a team. Good vibes all over.

Arielle Richardson: Oh, my. Where do we start? We are, I'd say, fairly evenly matched: not perfectly, but Fëanáro has made some astute changes to the Mertagnian team and we shouldn't assume we can get off as lightly as we did last time. Obviously, I'm biased when I say that if we don't look after our defence, we could be in danger very, very quickly - which is something I wouldn't want, never mind everyone else. With that said, I'd like to see us surprise from the upside, so I'm going with an error-laden 1-1 draw to start off.

Corporal Denise Livingston (promoted January 4th 2003): I am going to be very clear here: it is all in the balance. We cannot run away with our emotions, although I think most of those dissipated by November 27th; first snowfall... and two days before the last four of the Showcase, which was just brilliant. What we do need to do is go into the match with resolve, determination, and more than a stroke of ambition. If we can do that, and put those into action whenever we can, I'll have good reason to believe we'll make it.

Natalie Monaco: Even I'd look ridiculous trying to argue that this is going to be the biggest match of the qualifiers, but it's close enough: we're the second seeds against the third seeds with not a lot on the line - but everything else is! All very confusing, if you asked yourself; not me, I fully well know what this entails. I think I might need another cup of coffee going into the match, let's just say that.

Melcheta Pazorzal: Looking forward to it. Glad you asked.

Priscilla Evans: I've said this a thousand times before, but I cannot stress enough just how well-equipped our team is to meet the challenge of qualification. They are diverse - in all regards, including skillsets - extremely in touch with each other, highly successful, and they all have enough resilience to power through any problems they might face over the next fifteen months or so. I know we've played the Holy Empire and Mertagne last cycle and didn't defeat them outright on any of those occasions, but what we've done in the past doesn't dictate what we're going to do in the future. Compare the Cup of Harmony final to the 0-0 draw against New South Yukon and you can tell the difference in synergy, dynamism, and everything else.

Lieutenant Stephen Mitcham: I'm confident we could snatch at least a point against the Goblins. Qualification is the aim, obviously, but I don't necessarily share Cilla's optimism for auto-qualification: the Holy Empire aren't any less a force than they were a couple of years ago, for instance, and there's always at least one banana skin in the lower ranks. The exception was the one time we actually made the World Cup, funnily enough.
****** The Grand Republic of Saint Eleanor - area 2,863mi2, population 489,816, 1.6 cups of coffee/Eleanorian/day - it's 2000 (OOC: obvious Tinhampton puppet)
BoF76 quarterfinalists --- WC91 participants

Why? George Mitcham, General then and now, cofounded the National Liberation Front in 1971 to demand a free Saint Eleanor. He got his wish in '75 after a 15-month war: becoming President, appointing notable NLF friends and some charity's executive director as VPs and calling them legislators. He has retained power through oil money; zero income tax; free healthcare, schooling, public transport - and markets; tolerating dissent on apolitical matters; allowing private gun ownership (with plenty of training) to protect against future invasions; high-quality PR; and football.

Cardenao
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 30, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cardenao » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:05 pm

A Pre-World Cup Squad Commentary

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, dogs and cats, sun and moon, shore and land, hello one hello all. If you are reading this, I wish you a good day and I know you are just as excited as I am!

IT’S WORLD CUP TIME!

After three long years we’re finally treated to the greatest show in the multiverse as the best teams compete to win the World Cup. This is Cardenao’s third time participating in the tournament, though we’ve never gotten closer than being far away from securing qualification. Every single Cardenaoan alive and perhaps even those departed from this realm of existence will be cheering on the team of 26 men who are tasked with defending and increasing our honor in the most noble of arenas, the football pitch. Read on, my dear, for a guide as we find ourselves asking, once again, The Great Question.

Will Cardenao qualify for the World Cup?

Now, I hear you ask, what’s the purpose of this publication? Well it’s to take a look at the squad. 26 courageous patriots have answered iconic manager Scooter McNash’s call, this is the first time he’s made full use of the 26 roster spots as he fielded squads of 23 in both World Cups prior. He’s selected two goalkeepers, eight defenders, seven midfielders, and nine forwards, that’s quite the haul! Mr. McNash is clearly looking for attacking options to help break down defenses in what will be quite the difficult group for us, but more on that later. Let’s take a look at the team.

First off we have our manager, Scooter McNash. Iconic player, iconic club and national team manager, we all know him. Great at setting the team up to be compact in defense while explosive when transitioning to offense and using dynamic runs to open up space to play the ball. He’s managed us since the 78th Baptism of Fire and I think we’ll all be happy for another six years under his guidance. Time for the players of the squad, with the goalkeeping duo leading the way!

Starting in goal is Ray Holland. Pretty sure he’s been starting in goal for Cardenao since the beginning of the time, at least it’s starting to feel that way after 55 matches with him between the sticks. He’s kept 10 clean sheets in that time which seems…surprisingly high considering our style of play, so well done there Ray! The 99 goals conceded in the other 45 matches is pretty rough, but that’s just the nature of being the goalkeeper during the starting days of a national football program, you’re gonna get pumped a couple times by the more developed teams. He’s 33 now so surely in the later bit of his serviceable time period, but we’ll need every last bit of skill and leadership from him to help us to the promised land of qualification.

Fortunately his understudy has also been with us since that BoF and looks fully capable of taking over, it’s Iñaki Pena! He had to wait a long time for his first cap, not touching the field until midway through WC92 qualification, but he had a solid showing in the Cardenao Invitational Cup and now he’s got five caps to his name. Pena conceded 11 in those matches but was going up against some of the biggest names in the sport, so it’s not concerning. He’s got the height, he’s got the reflexes, he’s a solid keeper as seen by his club play for Bananada CF, he’s just got a Ray Holland sized problem preventing him from being the national team’s starting goalkeeper. Perhaps in the 94th World Cup!

Looking at our leftbacks, we’ve got the infamous Hendrix Salvadore. The party-scene playboy who spends as much time in the PlayToy Mansion as he does on the pitch, but damn is he good on the pitch. The half Quebecois-Cardenaoan is a typical Blue and Gold fullback, with offensive output his priority. He’s got great combination passing with the midfield unit, while his accurate crossing has seen Hendrix pick up ten assists in 55 matches for that national team, scoring an additional four. Hendrix isn’t poor in defense, he does actually have a great sense of positioning (when he doesn’t ignore it) and his long legs have made several key tackles over the six years Cardenao has been competing on the national stage. Going into this World Cup, I would be fine with him being a little less offensively minded if it means more points and qualification for us!

His deputy looks like quite the promising teenage talent, it’s Moustir-Yves Almeny of Escuela Nacíonal DCPF. I really rate this lad, he’s got bags of pace and is far better at defense than the typical Cardenaoan fullback. He understands the need to protect the ‘Defensive V’ that runs out from the goal and does well to shepherd his opponent towards the touchline. He makes good use of his speed and attacking instincts to be a threat in the offensive phase as well. Moustir has decent crossing and long-distance shooting, but his skill lies in dribbling with the ball. He could honestly be a winger with the flair and precise dribbling he has. He was fantastic in the Cardenao Invitational and I expect him to start a couple games this World Cup, come off the bench a few times, and I would really like to see him do well. He won the title with La Escuela in his debut season and now the 19 year old is in the World Cup squad. Just do it Moustir, I have faith in you lad.

Moving across the defense to the right back position, it’s the steely veteran Dylan Mathers starting yet again. Oh Captain My Captain, well, my former captain. What’s there to say that hasn’t been said? Most dependable right back you could ever ask for. Solid in defense, solid in attack, knows his limitations, motivational, doesn’t complain, plays his role to the max, legend. 55 caps for the national team, was our captain from our Baptism of Fire to the 84th Cup of Harmony before voluntarily stepping down. Huge respect to him for doing that, shows how much he cares about the team and wants to see it succeed. He’s 30 now, I can’t believe that! Who knows if he’ll stay on to the next World Cup, but one thing is known. He has been a legend to the nation and I am thankful for his service.

Fortunately, his backup player is looking quite mint! Another of the Cardenao Invidational, it’s Salva Perez of Club Valentino. The 22 year old started his career as a traditional winger before dropping back to the defensive side of things and that shows in his playstyle. Lots of flair, lots of dribbling, but the main benefit Salva provides to the team is his intelligent movement off the ball. He’s always in the right spot to receive a drop pass or making an overlapping run or presenting an otherwise open passing angle for his teammate. Great lad with five caps and a goal to his name, this could be a huge moment for Salva if he makes the most of his playtime. Let’s take a gander at the center of defense.

Returning to the starting centerback position is Emmanuel Odita. He’s looking stronger and more physically commanding than ever at the age of 25, and Odita has really come through on his wonderkid label after 36 solid matches for the national team. The time he’s spent on his ball-playing skills has really paid off as he’s now reliable and trustworthy whenever in possession, which is a huge change from when he made his debut as a 19 year old who cleared everything into row Z. Emmanuel has now moved to Schemerdrecht SVV and I will be very curious to see what he does over there. With his level of fitness and dedication to the game, we could possibly see Emmanuel Odita represent Cardenao for another three World Cups. That would be very cool. For this one at least, he’ll have a great partner lining up next to him.

Samuel Alcatron is another ‘graduate’ of the Cardenao Cup and wow was he fantastic. Started five matches in that tournament and helped himself to a goal while been commanding in defense. He’s a classic ballplaying centerback, always looking to facilitate the attack and playing inch-perfect passes down field. He’s 6’5 so tall as fuck but he’s not particularly physically strong, so he can be bullied a bit by a more powerful forward. That’s where Odita comes into play though, nobody would want to mess with him. I’m interested to see what this partnership can do in the World Cup but I feel a little anxious too. On paper, it’s a great combination but…I’ll just be hoping for the best! Fortunately there’s some solid centerbacks on the bench if need be.

Sporting the number 15 kit he’s worn for 55 matches now, it’s Shannon Grandillon. 33 years old now, this is his final World Cup cycle for Cardenao after starting in our Baptism of Fire. He’s been dependable for all of these years, with his great positioning and devotion to giving 100% effort at all times made him an icon to Cardenaoans. I really don’t have much to say here, he’s the veteran defensive presence who brings leadership and a calm, steadying hand to the defense whenever he hits the field. He fits well with the other centerback substitute, who’s another of the Cardenao Invitational squad.

Coming in with five caps and fresh off winning the league title with Escuela Nacíonal DCPF is Gelson Mukendi. The only centerback on this roster standing under 6’3, Mukendi makes up for that by being an athletically dominant player at 5’10. He’s very quick, rapid, fast, he’s got plenty of strength and a low center of gravity help him clash with taller players, he can jump high as fuck, what else could you want? He’s got a good eye for tackling, but his aggression means he can commit fouls a little too often. I feel like Shannon will be the primary CB option off the bench, but Gelson Mukendi will come in when frantic, destructive defensive energy is needed. But that’s all for the defense folks, let’s look at……

The Midfield. Starting as the more defensive midfield option, it is our captain Diego Valenzuela, Mr. Ice Cool himself. I love that he’s our captain, no disrespect to Dylan Mathers, but Diego V is a much better choice. He’s calm and rational, dictates tempo like the veteran playmaker he is, he’s always leading his teammates, I love it. With 56 caps, he is Cardenao’s appearance record holder and will be sure to build on that during this World Cup. It seems Scooter McNash is going to have him starting higher up the field than in years past, and I think that’ll be a good thing! Diego will still drop in front of the defensive line to collect the ball from them and facilitate attacking movement, and we will need his accurate passing from deep to help our play flow. Fortunately, he’ll be a member of a midfield trio that hasn’t changed since Cardenao’s first ever football match, that 3-1 win against Kuraita.

Starting next to Diego V is Giampetro Vera. Now 31 years of age, he’s lost a little bit of that incredible speed that make him such a ball-carrying threat out of midfield, but he’s compensated for that by developing a great passing range across the pitch. It seems likely he’ll be less into the daring dribbling that defined his career as a youngster and will instead opt to use his remaining speed and endless guile to act as a midfield magician. One second you see him, the next he’s passed it to……

Haritz Larrainzar. What an incredible run of form the 28 year old is in. He’s always been sensational for Cardenao, his 55 caps have come with four goals and 16 assists, enough to land him comfortably in second place in the all-time assists leaderboard. Precise passing, accurate shooting, great vision on offense and defense, serviceable tackling and defensive play, he can do it all, but his attacking form has forced Scooter McNash to deploy him closer to goal. Haritz scored 14 goals and assisted 15 as he led Port Rhovanyon AFC to the Tikariot Premier League title and got himself on the team of the season. He’s got 17 goals and 25 assists in 61 games for them and it’s no wonder Scooter McNash has built the team around him. We’ll all be hoping he can build on that to have a legendary World Cup campaign that sees Cardenao win the entire thing! Failing that though, we’ve got some good options on the bench.

Donning the number 10 jersey of the recently retired Jayful Archer, it’s Jenarío Cervahir. The attacking midfielder of Real Alegria cuts quite the elegant figure on the pitch. He’s remarkably agile, has an endless bag of dribbling tricks, has the vision to spot a needle in a haystack and the passing accuracy to knock that needle out. 48 assists in 107 MegaPower League appearances and 29 goals to go with it too show just how well-rounded J. Cervahir is as an offensive threat. He’s already got a goal and two assists in only six appearances for the national team, and will undoubtedly be keen to build on those numbers.

Another option off the bench is #14 Zoltan Keidobiko. By far the best freekick taker in Cardenao, Mr. Zoltan can hit the tail off the squirrel with his deadball accuracy. Beyond that, he’s a master of the simple things and uses that to devastating effect. He’s got great fake passes, a body feint that can send any defender the wrong way, and of course he can pass the ball to his teammates very nicely. 10 goals and 14 assists in the MegaPower League was enough to secure a move to the Tikariot Premier League, and Zoltan will be hoping to lead Morannon Athletic FC up the table. He’s a solid player, very exquisite, and is much different then the next option Scooter McNash has off the bench.

Abwooli Isaza. Enough said, you know the rest. Dual Banijan-Cardenaoan heritage, bone crunching tackles, crazy muscles packed into his kit, not giving a fuck about anything just going out there holding the midfield down and crashing into attacking players. Honestly he’s an inspiration. The 25 year old Abwooli has worked hard to refine his game, and his ability to actually pass the ball and dribble a bit is a reflection of that. He certainly seems less like a muscular destroyer and more like a well-rounded box to box player, and that paid off as Isaza helped guide La Escuela to the most recent MegaPower League title. While it seems unlikely he will be a starter during this qualification campaign, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Abwooli add to his 23 caps with some appearances off the bench. That brings us to our final midfield option!

At just 22 years old, Lonzo Capiatelli seems to have the footballing world at his feet. Arguably the most complete Cardenaoan midfielder ever, the 6’3 lad can do it all. Tackle hard, pass cleanly, dribble successfully, and score goals, he can really do it all. Already the captain for his boyhood Bananada CF, Lonzo can play any role in the midfield but benefits most from being given the freedom to follow his instincts, which see him ultimately play as a sort of roaming playmaker who also gets stuck in on defense. Another Cardenao Invititational player, Lonzo’s got six caps and a goal plus two assists to his name already, and he will absolutely build on that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave maximum effort in training to try and win Giampetro Vera’s starting spot, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that ultimately made the Cardenao national team quite a bit better. Phew, that’s it for our midfielders!

Which brings us to our attacking options. Kicking this section off is the leftwing god of creativity himself, Ibai Acosta-Vargas. 55 games, seven goals, 26 assists, Ibai is by far our most consistent creative force and at 31 years of age, he’s right at the perfect time in his life to answer the Great Question and deliver Cardenao to qualification. He just had a 16 goal, 37 assist season for the Alameda Desperados, and we will all be looking to Mr. Acosta-Vargas to play a huge role in this campaign. There’s really not much more to say here, everyone knows what IA-V is all about, and the man delivers. He’s got a great backup too, who’s just starting to burst onto the scene.

At 20 years of age, Jamal Mustafason has already become one of the most promising young talents in Cardenao. He’s got slinky, controlled dribbling, incredible agility to bend around tackling attempts, an eye for a goal and the other eye for an assist as his 13 goals and 15 assists in 57 MegaPower League appearances proved. The youngster got called up to the national team for the Cardenao Invitational and showed out, notching up two assists in four appearances, only starting one of those. With the higher quality of players now around him, I would expect him to bang on and take his play to a whole nother level. He’s very direct and looks to do what will help the team score, whether that’s by his boot or assisting another, and that will help take Jamal Mustafason to the top. But if a more indirect option is needed, then there is another leftwinger who can provide an option.

Enter Kaison Sibonaliso, the 21 year old wideman who turns out for Real Alegria. Kaison always looks to stretch the defensive line, staying out wide by the touchline and looking to make use of his pinpoint crossing to set-up a goal. He’s got a ton of energy, always motoring up and down the pitch and showing a surprisingly high level of defensive play, jockeying and containing threats well, though his real strength comes from his offensive ability. He’s a decent finisher, he notched up seven goals in the MegaPower League, but he really is a complimentary player who excels at staying wide and sending accurate crosses into the box. Sure, Cardenao doesn’t have a Timo Skye style big man up front, but accurate crosses create chances! Speaking of men up top, let’s look at them.

Juanma Saez. Record goalscorer for the national team with 31 goals in 55 appearances and another six assists on top of that. He’s bagged 39 goals and 14 assists in 67 appearances for Parakleion Firebirds FC and that form saw him selected to the Team of the Season. Now, he has to put it all together and ANSWER THE GREAT QUESTION GOD DAMNIT AND SIMPLY MAKE CARDENAO QUALIFY. I’m sick of this shit I swear. Anyway, 30 years old, this is his moment, his time to bring us over the finish line. I’m not sure how he’ll look by the time the next World Cup swings around, especially with so many promising Cardenaoan attacking talents, but it is Juanma Time, and he’s going to make you check the clock. He scored ten in the last World Cup, so if he could score three times that many during this one, that would be very appreciated. Let’s take a look at those other attacking talents I mentioned.

We got Alberto Godwine who has lit the country on fire and became Cardenao’s first ever 10 million dollar player when he moved to Herzegoinva City in Banija. He earned that move after blasting in 64 goals in 114 MegaPower League and scoring five in five matches for the national team in the Invitational. The 25 year old is one of the fastest players on this team, he can get a strong, accurate shot in from anywhere on the pitch, he can’t pass or assist for shit, but he can put the ball in the back of the net. The thought of bringing him on for Juanma Saez in the 70th minute is a pretty great one, so much speed and scoring potential, all to be unleashed in a short amount of time? Yes please. But what other options are there?

Well, there’s Yeison Mesa, a member of the national team since our Baptism of Fire and he’s like Alberto Godwine but Yeison seems to be making his last stand with the national team. 30 caps with nine goals is simply not enough for a Cardenao striker and he hasn’t compensated with a high amount of assists, only notching two assists. He’s very fast, sure, but so is Godwine. He’s a great goalscorer sure but…so is Godwine. I guess I don’t particularly see the spot for him in this team and I wouldn’t be surprised if he sees minimal gametime in lieu of the other options Scooter McNash has called up.

Options including one Chímoooooo Ventura! Well I suppose he’s not a striking option anymore as he has solidified his position as Cardenao’s starting right winger. 29 games for the national team, 14 goals, two assists, and the 21 year old is only getting better. He’s banged in 58 goals in 96 MegaPower League appearances and you can see those goalscoring instincts in the way Chímo plays, with his clever off the ball movement, great burst of acceleration, and fantastic shooting making him a lethal attacking option. This five star dribbler will be looking to make this tournament HIS tournament and compete with Juanma Saez to be the team’s primary goal scoring option. Only 21 and with so much experience, I really have high hopes for Snr Ventura to do great things with our national team. Beyond him though, who else is an option for Mr. McNash on the right wing?

Well the primary backup is expected to be Halan Medhagbia, the tricky winger who now lines up for the Cornwall Clippers in Quebec. The 27 year old is a bit slim and won’t be winning many physical contests, but his creativity and technical excellence mean he will always be a dangerous option when the ball is at his feet. He’s only delivered two goals and a single assist in 13 matches for the national team but Halan has had a high level of play in those games. It’s hard to see him getting much playing time considering Chímo Ventura is likely to take up the majority of available minutes. In the time that Snr Medhagbia does hit the pitch though, he will present a very capable attacking option. If that fails though, Manager McNash can call upon another option, one that’s new to the team.

And that’s Paolo Van Montanari, the 13th and final of the Cardenao Invitational players to be called up to the World Cup team. The 21 year old plays for the Alameda Desperados and pairs flamboyant dribbling ability with world class speed to offer a dangerous attacking option out wide. His decision making in the final third still needs a lot of work, but 23 goals and 14 assists after two MegaPower League seasons show the potential that he has. I love the way Paolo plays. I love that he looks to attack his opponent and humiliate them, I love that. I don’t love that he loses the ball a fair amount doing that, but having someone direct like that will always be a helpful option for a team to call upon.

So here we are, thousands of words later and for what? Can Cardenao answer the GREAT QUESTION? Can we overcome the biggest hurdle out there and qualify for the World Cup? Can we? WILL WE?

I really can't say. We are in a challenging group with some very good nations, but I am like you. I'm Cardenaoan. We always dream big.

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 pm

Shinonome Kyoai - International

It's K-M For the Return of The Legend

There were only a handful of people expecting anything less; Kaya Michiyu is back at the helm of the national football team. Back to take the Kandorese stars to new heights and frontiers, Michiyu also seems more determined than ever. The enigmatic manager, always clad in black, returns to lead the Kandorese national team.

By Natsumi Miyasaki
Sports

The longest-serving national team manager in Kandorith, Kaya Michiyu, is set to lead the Kandorese squad once again in the World Cup qualification campaign. Michiyu, who has been with the team for as long as I can remember, has been an important part of the Kandorese football landscape, helping to shape the style and culture of Kandorith's football. Under the management of Michiyu, the team has achieved several international victories, with the crowning achievement being the coveted Cup of Harmony. However, their ultimate goal remains to secure a World Cup victory, a feat they came close to achieving in the past. The Kandorese team reached the quarterfinals of World Cup 89, where they lost 3-2 against Turori. With Michiyu at the helm once again, they hope to repeat and surpass that success.

Football is an integral part of Kandorese culture, and the national team is a source of national pride. The Kandorese style of play is heavily influenced by their cultural heritage and characterised by discipline, technical proficiency, and a strong team spirit. This unique style of play has made the Kandorese team a formidable opponent in international competition. Michiyu has been in the foreground of this cultural shift. Where the Kandorese looked towards more traditional sports in the past and football was a side interest for many Kandorese, it was Michiyu who brought the sport to the majority of the Kandoreses people. The Kandorese team's recent accomplishments are almost divine, and rumours circulate that there is a cult dedicated to worshipping Michiyu as a god-like being. which, of course, Michiyu has dismissed.

Ever since the modern-day empire ventured into playing international football, football has become an integral part of Kandorese culture, and the national team is a source of national pride. The Kandorese style of play is heavily influenced by their cultural heritage and characterised by discipline, technical proficiency, and a strong team spirit. This unique style of play has made the Kandorese team a formidable opponent in international competition, sometimes even surprising the major teams in tournaments.

Michiyu has made several changes to the team's roster and tactics, bringing in a mix of young talent and experienced players. Despite some of these changes being met with controversy, Michiyu remains confident in their choices and the team's potential for success. "We have a talented and dedicated group of players, and I am eager to see what they can achieve in the World Cup qualification," said Michiyu in a press conference. "I have high expectations for this team, and I believe we have what it takes to repeat our previous success and go even further in the tournament."

The Kandorese Football Association has expressed their full support for Michiyu's leadership, citing its extensive experience and past successes in international tournaments. The team's fans are also eagerly awaiting the start of the World Cup qualification process, confident in Michiyu's ability to guide the team to success.

With Michiyu at the helm, a unique blend of stubbornness, style, faith in the younger generation, and a roster filled with talent, the Kandorese national team is poised to make a run at World Cup glory. Their past success in reaching the quarterfinals, combined with their experience and unique style of play, gives them a strong foundation as they embark on their journey to the global tournament. In the past, Michiyu has hinted at stepping down from their role as manager, but they have never stepped down. The fans and players of Kandorith are thrilled to see Michiyu back at the helm, leading the team once again to World Cup qualification.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Patriotlandia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2021

Postby Patriotlandia » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 pm

Page 72
Editorial note: Unfortunately, pages chronologically after the last release were significantly damaged so more time is required to digitize them. Please enjoy this somewhat standalone story.

We have now fully entered the winter season. Sunlight is such a scarce thing nowadays that it is difficult to organize and take care of the camp. In the minimal sunlight we get, a group sets out to scout the surroundings. We have not heard from the Farnham Fox or the Bételgeuse since the storm. Despite all the vegetation and wildlife around us, the mainland we find ourselves on seems uninhabited. Exploration around our port has led us to find plenty of resources that could be useful to build a settlement. Further journeys have also revealed potential arable land further east and a tall mountain range to the south but further exploration is needed.

With the cold season keeping most of us inside our small dwelling, we have tried to find our exact location since we lost our bearings in the storm. The navigator assures me the sky is unpredictable and that he does not recognize any star in the night sky. It’s all nonsense. We must all be somewhere. No matter, we still have all winter to figure it out. The plan for spring is to navigate further down the coast to map the whole area while hopefully tracking down our sister ship the Bételgeuse. If we find them, we could navigate back and bring in settlers to work these lands. First we will need to fix the ship. Cracked hull and broken masts we will have plenty of work once the weather is auspicious.

Schedule
----------------------------
Patriotlandia vs Saperetia (211)
Parc du Nord (24,000), Alexandrie, Province of Foubrac

Patriotlandia @ Estorvipa and Estorpiva (91)

Patriotlandia vs Britonisea (117)
Petro-Pat Navy Memorial Stadium (62,000), Port-la-Ville, Province of Abelanne

Patriotlandia @ Flavovespia (36)

Patriotlandia vs Valanora (1)

Patriotlandia @ Lashnakia (UR)

Patriotlandia vs Pasarga (20)

Patriotlandia @ Oberour Ar Moro (68)

Patriotlandia vs Al-Tamazgha (239)

Patriotlandia @ Abanhfleft (96)

Patriotlandia vs Valladares (152)

Patriotlandia @ Saperetia (211)

Republic of Patriotlandia
Ice Hockey:
WJHC19 Champions

Association Football:
BOF80 Quarter Finalists

Huayramarca
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2020

Postby Huayramarca » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pm

WC 93 or the Quest for the Dream Comes Backth.

Written by: Adonis Huaccha
31/01/1988 – Last Updated: 10:10 P.M.

Ladies and Gentleman, is that part of the year once again for us, sports lovers. Aside that we are starting the Summer, it is also the time where the Huayramarcan National Team cleans their football shoes and uniforms, gets also ready to jump into the field; the smell of grass being recently refreshed with water, roasted beef and beers being served outside the stadiums across this nation. It’s World Cup Qualifiers time and the Quest for the Dream appears once again in our TV screens, and also in our daily conversations at busses, workplaces, schools, etc.

Football fever in Huayramarca this year is considerably different to the past year, hope is in the air and expectations to see how the Condors can perform at the big stage are considerably higher with the departure of Omar Caicedo, and the arrival of Blâás Âgínsôgnó, the Rulanedese manager, has made the fans feel more comfortable that Huayramarca will be, finally in good hands.

It was noticeable, since the Group Stage of World Cup 92 that things weren’t working well anymore in the National Team, as some players were looking distressed and some rumours of demotivation and discomfort were popping out in the media; the Caicedo cycle had stagnated since World Cup 91, there was need for a step forward with somebody experienced. The Huayramarcan Football Federation reacted at the right moment, after being humiliated by Aleirave at CAFA Quarterfinals (2-5), things just broke up and Caicedo wasn’t able anymore to move the team to where we want to, despite having the resources and even asking for a bizarre camp at the Québécois Arctic (Iqaluit) to forge “a new identity.”

Lack of depth has also been a problem at Huayramarca for some time, as the Caicedo plan for the renewal of the National Team fell into oblivion after the splendid CAFA 4 and WC 91 the team enjoyed. Overconfidence and lack of ambition proved bad for the team, as they weren’t as combative as before, hence it caused the rupture between the HFF and the creator of Huayramarcan football as we know it today. We keep Omar Caicedo at high regards for what he did for the National Team, but it was time to part ways and try a new recipe for the Condors, one where the team could evolve to the next level if they want to compete seriously abroad.

The main mission of Blâás Âgínsôgnó is to build a new identity of football in Huayramarca, also to bolster new talents, and give them chance to play at the National Team regularly to soften up the generational shift that the Condors will have to do in a couple of years. Fielding up the players that the Caicedo plan found, but adding some new characteristics of offensive football and positional dynamism (no fixated roles in the midfield), a higher tempo of play and physicality. The plan has worked well so far, as the team has reached the knockout stages of the two tournaments they’ve taken part of, the Mihaly International at Cardenao and the 54th Di Bradini Cup at Valanora, where they reached semifinals and quarterfinals respectively. The imprint of a new style of fulbo, where attacks are more constant and pressure too, helped Huayramarca to be a headache for the teams that eliminated them, and even for the hosts of the tournaments when it comes to performance and bittering a bit their parade.

People is optimist about what the Condors can do at senior level, as Blâás Âgínsôgnó has showed proper command of the team, also, players such as Bryan Tello, Juan Mamani, etc, have praised his arrival, the feelings are noticeable. Bryan Tello said “We will always welcome managers that will make our ideal of offensive football stronger, marked and will help to its proper functioning.” And Juan Mamani, the eldest of the Mamani siblings, said “Mr. Âgínsôgnó is a reputable manager at the S-FPL, many managers and fans respect him due to his football ideals and by helping his old team to be a contending side despite their limitations. I’m sure that he will be doing the same thing here, and I’m already looking forward to talk with him and work hard for Huayramarca.”

Âgínsôgnó has things clear, he wants to demonstrate his capabilities to those Huayramarcan fans who are hunger and thirsty for transcending at the competitions the team takes part of; especially with the dreaded prospect of knockout stages and some other traditional weaknesses of the Condors. “I’ve run some diagnostics and I’ve been able to identify what Huayramarca has lacked, it has been a lack of punch and grit that has affected this team. I looked some of the past matches and there wasn’t motivation coming from the manager. I want footballers, so I will motivate them to win and not to walk like zombies in the field.” Said the new manager.

There’s a common conception about Farf managers, specially Rulandese ones, that will always resort to motivation, order and creativity to achieve their goals; something That Huayramarca lacked significantly during the last two World Cups. “We need to push harder, we need to feed the egos and ambitions of this players, as they want to excel, I want to make their path to victory easier with my knowledge, dressing room handling and experience.” Some other words that make doubts vanish, as the manager showed confidence and certainty on what his football idea will be for the next cycle.

Adaptation and resilience are the key of the game, Huayramarca will have some interesting rivals that will ask the Condors to give all their willpower and capability to defeat them, teams with interesting resources and tradition that we will need to overcome. With the help of Cognos.ai, the official Data Science Solutions Provider for the Huayramarcan National Football Team, we will uncover some patterns of the teams that Huayramarca will have to face through the World Cup 93 Qualifiers.

One of the most important facts is that we will play against one of the most offensive sides among the whole Qualifiers pool, that’s the old known foe of Farfadillis, a rejuvenated team compared to the one the Condors were defeated (2-3) back in World Cup 91. La Vherderroja is a team of insanity, a team that can try to annihilate the rival, just plain outscore without taking care of defence, attack is on their DNA. In the last World Cup Qualifier, they got 55 goals for and 28 goals against; casually, both Farfadillis and Huayramarca received the same number of goals, but the Farves scored two more (55 vs 53) than the Condors.

In the middle of a generational shift, La Vherderroja is trying to consolidate their pieces for the future, a team full of eager youngsters who are trying to get a spot in the Starting XI, a privilege for many to escape their radioactive reality at Farfadillis. The Farves are impressive when it comes to visiting teams, they got a 7-2-1 record in the last World Cup Qualifier, accounting for 23 points, while the same record was got for them at home. Fairly balanced at performing away or at home, they are a goalscoring machine.

Starblaydia are a team we’ve never met before, but a team we all know because of their glorious past and their bid for resurgence to what they used to be some decades ago. 7-1-2 is the record for the team at home, rather strong side, and a 5-3-2 at the road, a nice 50% rate of success at matches that could get complicated.

From the roster they’ve presented in the last World Cup Qualifier, it can be said that they’re safe in the hands of a respectable manager in the name of Tlanx-Nulzk Hal, the Qusmi manager who has been named with significant honours on the KarlingSport Galácticos Manager of the Season award; a manager that advocates for a 4-3-3 and some offensive football style, with fast transition and help from the midfielders to turn that line of three up to a line of five. According to Starblaydi media, the name of the game is “controlling the centre of the pitch with sharp passing and enabling passing triangulations.”

What about the Owls? Which owls, the Tikariotian ones? Nah, the Huuhkajat of Kimi-Suomi. Ah, perkele, got confused. The Kimin Armeija or Kimi’s Army are a team that has gained traction during the last World Cups, a team that will devote to perform some defensive football, and have some sparks of counterattacking. It has to be said that the Army are a team of significant grit and courage, a team nobody should give for granted as they’re climbing the echelons of football as we’re doing too.

Esko Laaskonen pupils are one of the strongest home sides of the last World Cup Qualifier, they ranked 17th with a 8-1-1 record, but a rather troublesome 3-5-2 situation when visiting teams in the road. You can notice a pattern here and it’s that Kimi-Suomi is a reliable team that will try to scratch points at any chance, their rather balanced 37 goals for and 27 against show that they will fight, they will defend rather good but won’t be an easy task.

Sargossa is one of the teams Huayramarca is the most familiar with through history, the teams have faced for four times, including two Huayramarcan victories (2-1 and 2-0 in WCQ 87 and Cup of Harmony 79), then a defeat at Cup of Harmony 78 (0-1) and a 4-4 tie in WCQ 87 at Guayaquil, the place that will host the match once again in this World Cup Qualifier. The Sargossans have a quite paced rhythm of football, they will try to control thee wings and nullify play circuits from us. It must be said that Huayramarca has, fortunately, improved significantly as the team is now way more mature and experienced than those days, which is a point in our favour if we are able to put those lessons learned into practice.

About the Sargossans, we can say that they have a rather regular defence, with 30 goals against and an attack that could provide some better opportunities, as the team only scored 36 goals for, a +6 difference that could be troublesome at deciding things in the last moments of a Qualifier. 6-0-4 was the record of the Corsairs at home, Huayramarca knows how it feels to win at Soluca, many of these players have done and they could try it again. Meanwhile, at the road, Huayramarca has to notice that their rivals got a 2-5-3 record, a quite stiff discipline of midfield game, they’ll be difficult to predict or break-up, something that will be important to get as much points as possible from home.

The neighbours from the far north, not Québec, we talk of Pyazhnaya, the surprising side of the CAFA 5. The Phoenixes are a talented side, one that won an unbeaten run in a Baptism of Fire, a team that has some interesting prospects and which is managed by Aleksandr Zavrashin, a manager who’s on the rise after their runner-up finish at CAFA 5, which renewed his chances after being almost dismissed from the role.

4-1-5 was their performance at home, quite a negative one yet improvable for sure with the boost this team will have for this Qualifiers, a team eager to show their true potential and be a fighting side for World Cup qualification. Their performance away from home is rather meagre, 2-3-5 but as it was said, don’t be fooled about the stats, expect a threat from this team and also to the Condors to have some interesting fight against them.

Teams such as Bollonich, Sudilia and Lisander have some things in common, things that are aiming to rise in this World Cup Qualifier. Bollonich had a brief spell out of World Cup participation, their players are eager to come back in good fashion and may want to give some good sensations for their fans and the future. Sudilia and Lisander have negative records at home and away (2-0-8 and 1-2-7 – 1-1-8 and 1-0-9), definitely ones that have caused the need of reflection among the players and managerial team, to the point that they’ll actively seek for improvement in order to get better chances for this World Cup or set a cornerstone for their future plans.

Meanwhile, for New Portland Republic, it must be said that they’ll have an interesting face as manager of their National Team, it is our previous goalkeeper trainer Martín Zubeldía who will be controlling the reigns of this new promising Baptism of Fire side. The Portlandians had a great campaign in the Baptism, and now they are trying to outperform the expectations people have on them in order to prepare themselves for the next World Cups or, who knows, pull some history and qualify on their very first attempt. Zubeldía has a brand of football that tries to mimic what Caicedo does, although with some limitations set by what he found in the nation, which was a group of successful defensive players and a team that would rely on counterattacks in order to defeat their rivals.

Zubeldía is a manager that knows Huayramarca from within, the kind of rivals one doesn’t wants to find as there are no secrets from us to him, but a lot of speculation and lack of information, as of late, of what the New Portlandian team has to offer or could do during a match at this stage. Fortunately, the players do also know him, so it’s advantage could be significant or could be reduced to mutual nullification.

About Bubiah and Warbah and Carpathia and Ruthenia, little or nothing can be said as there’s not enough information from both teams, aside the fact that Carpathia and Ruthenia is a nation returning to the scene of international football after a significant hiatus, which means that what we could know about them are mere historic facts, rather than real and useful information.

With that information, you as a reader have what you need to know about the Huayramarcan National Team, adding to what we have written already in the roster description of the Condors. Now, its matter to see how the new project gets started and tries to be consolidated. Let’s help the players with our support at Huayramarcan stadiums or abroad to make the dream happen once again, but now with more of a boost! Let’s go Huayramarca!

The role of journalists is important to help encourage democracy and freedom of speech in Huayramarca. Consider subscribing to Trome+ for I$15 and bolster investigation, news and data provided by the voice of Huayramarca, Trome.

Population: 36 million, demonym: Huayramarcan, capital city: Chuquiago, languages: Spanish, Quechua, Aymara + 6

CAFA VII Champions

Guanacasteca
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 06, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Guanacasteca » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 pm

After bombarding the premises of the Guanacastecan National Army, Juan Gutiérrez had done something that was considered as insanity or simply impossible by Guanacastecans, touching the very heart and flesh of the National Command with such ease and impunity was encouraging for the anti-army side, specially for David Alpízar.

Despite the bombings of Tibás and some villages near the South Guanacastecan economic engine, Alpízar was an optimist and he proceeded to give a discourse to the nation. Marta, one of his advisers told Alpízar “We must give hope to the people, bolster their mood and make sure we get them on our side and not into the army one.” Alpízar said “That’s for sure, I’ve been pla…” he was interrupted by Salomón, one of his advisers, who made him listen to the radio “Breaking news from Estelí, the Army’s National Headquarters have been bombarded, I repeat, bombarded by a dissident jet fighter pilot. The location of the pilot hasn’t been confirmed, it was just said that he flied northbound.”

Happiness was noticeable in his face, like a thunder impacting on his mind, he lifted his left fist in the air and screamed, he then started to dance in celebration. That’s what he needed for the upcoming discourse to the people in Tibás and Northern Guanacasteca, words that break the ice and provoke rebellion against the army. He walked and then said “Activate cameras, I’ll speak from my heart.” A staff of 6 people prepared cameras and a set as fast as possible to provide Alpízar with what he needed in order to give his speech to the people.

“Dear Guanacastecans, it’s Davíd Alpízar here, the legitimate president of this nation. I’ll speak from the deep of my heart this night, a glorious one for those who fight for freedom and want to see a free, independent and democratic República Guanacasteca.” He took a sip of water and continued “News have been confirmed, the Army HQ’s at Estelí have been destroyed by a valiant soldier who decided to disobey the orders of those war criminals in charge of the army, he obliterated the building and has, presumably, killed many of the high-ranked officials of the Guanacastecan Army. This wasn’t what we wanted to do initially, but their ambition didn’t leave us any civilized options, hence, they’ll have to suffer the wrath of the people.”

“Due to these happenings, the systematic abuse that this institution has exerted on us for the last 200 years, it is time for fury and indignation to be shown, that’s why I want to call every freedom lover of this nation, to invite them to get into the streets and demonstrate their pride for the República Guanacasteca. Come with us, brothers, let’s join forces tomorrow in the National Day of Wrath Against Tyranny; no matter where you are or what you have, gather with your neighbours the tools needed to attack barracks across the country, try to convince military officers to leave the ranks of that decrepit institution.”

“Let’s join, let’s do history and show to the world that Guanacastecans love freedom, and have dignity, enough to make those abusers pay their crimes in the heaviest way possible. We will live, the Repulic will live, but the army has to die in order to let a bright future flourish. If you see somebody from the army ordering attacks against the people, the Guanacastecan government will enable a bounty system for citizens that execute or detain violent or corrupt officers. It is the time to clean our country, let’s take the example of the Kitarans and their crisis. We, as people, can brake them for once and get rid of the putrefaction that the Guanacastecan army was, is, and could be if we don’t stop it.”

Applauses are heard in the room, it was a quite good speech for the standard of Alpízar, a person that has been known for being shy, timid, and for many, the last person that would’ve wanted to take charge of a country in the situation they’re facing as of now. The República Guanacasteca is at a crossroads, and Alpízar is taking the best decisions, but that could be enough to stop the military? It could be expected a more significant backlash? Could Guanacasteca fall into the paws of war? We will know it as time moves on and things settle.

Tikariot
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tikariot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 pm

Alistair McIntosh: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen of Tikariot - and wherever else the magic of the interwebs is sending our signal! It is time again for the most wonderful time of the--wait, wrong season. The qualifying phase for World Cup 93 in Chromatika and Tumbra is upon us and are we ever ready! Welcome to our dedicated WC93 studio and joining with me once again are Duncan Haldane and Veronica Bradford, who had joined us for the first time during the Copa Rushmori.

Veronica Bradford: Hello Tikariot! And yes, I agree, we are ready, are you Duncan?

Duncan Haldane: What a question, haha. I has been a while and things have changed for sure!

Alistair McIntosh: So, where do we start?

Veronica Bradford: At the beginning, of course, let's have a look at our group!

Alistair McIntosh: Good idea, Duncan?

Duncan Haldane: I think the best way to look at this is going to be by going with our schedule. And here we start with Montaña Verde. Coming out of pot 7, this is the first time we will square off against the green mountain. They are one of those nations that haven't been able to make any real splash, but are able to trip up anybody on a good day, so definitely not the ideal start to our campaign.

Veronica Bradford: There is one Verdean player in the TPL actually.

Duncan Haldane: Yes, Arquímedes, but he is not playing in the national team anymore.

Alistair McIntosh: Next up, straight out of pot number 4, we have Krytenia, who have dropped quite a bit in the last few years.

Veronica Bradford: They have, but in my opinion they are the dark horse of the group. This is an immensely important game for us, even though playing in Krytenia lessens the pressure a bit at least, but they are an immensely dangerous team. We have played them twice so far, a 2-1 win in the Cup of Harmony 78 and an explosive 3-6 loss in the Cup of Harmony 82, so this is the first time we're taking them on in a World Cup.

Duncan Haldane: The next duo is the Cheetahs and Reptiles Coalison.

Alistair McIntosh: And who else?

Duncan Haldane: No, the duo of both Cheetahs and Reptiles.

Alistair McIntosh: (groans) Duncan...

Duncan Haldane: OK, ok, they were drawn from pot 8 and are widely considered one of the relative minnows of the group, so six poins are pretty much a must.

Veronica Bradford: República Guanacasteca, our almost-neighbours, are from pot 5. The Pigs, as they call themselves, are beatable, but they are not easy to play against, they are very gritty and our team sometimes has had some problems against teams that are quite efficient with disruptive play. We have played them three times so far, the first time in the Copa Rushmori XL, where we didn't get past a 1-1 draw and then in the qualifiers for World Cup 91, where we won both matches, 2-0 abroad and 3-0 at home, so our record at least is positive.

Alistair McIntosh: Alright, who's next? Raspotochje. They were in pot 9 and we have played them once as well, at the same Copa Rushmori, coincidentally, and it was a clear 4-0 win, so I would hope that we can at least somewhat replicate this. I think that we should have a chance.

Duncan Haldane: Oscioru are another newcomer to our history, they actually were drawn from the lowest pot as an unranked team. However, they are not newcomers, so they are a bit of a wild card because nobody has seen them for a while so we really have no idea what awaits us.

Veronica Bradford: A bit more of a known factor are Atheara. Not that we have played them before, but they've been active in a few tournaments of late and I think that they are stronger than pot 6 would indicate.

Alistair McIntosh: Four to go and this one is one of the heavyweights, pot 2's Commonwealth of Baker Park. It actually is interesting that we have actually played their ladies team many years ago in an invitational tournament in Twicetagria. They are going to be a very tough challenge.

Duncan Haldane: Hopefully the same will not go for the next two, that being Strayan Rus and Inkwellistan, pots 10 and 11 respectively, not trying to be disrespectful here, but anything but six points would be a grave disappointment.

Veronica Bradford: Agreed. Which leads us to the elephant in the room, the number three in the world - Turori.

Duncan Haldane: Yes, that was quite some blow when they were drawn into our group, but we have to look at it like this - we don't have anything to lose against them and everything to gain. Sure, we lost both games against their sister nation Vilita back in the qualifiers for 87, but I think our team is strong enough to make things quite uncomfortable for them.

Alistair McIntosh: Speaking of, you think our team is stronger than the WC87 one?

Duncan Haldane: Yes.

Alistair McIntosh: That was our best World Cup to date, reaching the round of 16.

Duncan Haldane: I'm aware of that and I stand by my opinion.

Alistair McIntosh: A nice segue to the second part of our opening volley tonight, our team! It is pretty similar to the squad that brought the Copa Rushmori home.

Veronica Bradford: And rightfully so. They showed tremendous spirit and willpower to overcome the odds several times, so they deserve to be given the chance to prove their mettle at the 93-qualifiers as well.

Duncan Haldane: And that's exactly why I had said that I think that the team as a whole is maybe the strongest yet Tikariot will be fielding. I mean, look at this starting eleven.

Duncan Haldane: We have Brian Merson in goal, who has been an absolute rock in the back and his experience is invaluable. Our centre backs Walter Thomas and Dominic Eovaldi are a bit like yin and yang, Eovaldi is great in the air and Thomas is a tackling machine, so they can cover both land and air, so to say. Out on the sides Anthony Wallace and Kiarra Yates might not be as strong on paper, but Wallace really rocked at the Copa and Kiarra has this bulldog mentality that has worn out opposing players a lot. As long as she can keep her calm and not get carried away, other teams are going to have a really hard time breaking through.

Veronica Bradford: And in midfield, I think, we also have an outstanding balance. You have Michael Gaffigan, who is pulling the strings and can really put anybody into a dangerous situation. Then you have Easton Aird, if you give him the freedom to roam, he is so unpredictable and he really has the talent to pull any opposition out of position. And then there's Arfon Davies. He's one of those players where you notice his importance for the team mostly when he's not there. His workrate is just so good and that gives Gaffigan and Aird the freedom to do what they do best.

Alistair McIntosh: And then, of course, we have to talk about our forwards. Nighthorse - Armitage - Grimaud. I'm not sure how much else I really have to say. Nighthorse is a true nightmare for any defense, quick, technically strong and he often just pulls two defenders on him and he has this quick release that you never know when he can unleash a shot. Armitage is almost the complete opposite, strong, physical, if he can't get around a defender he'll go through them and then Adrian Grimaud. He's been in such outstanding form, at first at the Copa and now also in the TPL, he's maybe the most complete forward we have.

Duncan Haldane: Can't really add much more to that, but what makes me so optimistic is that we have so much quality on the bench as well, so if we have to sub players on, we won't see much of a drop off in quality. Ongaro or Robbins in the back, Sukunda, Monaghan, Chamberlain, Þorgríma Vigdis in the middle and then upfront we have such an embarrassment of riches... Nurmsalu, Thesselborg, Dodd, Conway, Connolly, Stainthorpe, any of them could start a game and I wouldn't be worried.

Alistair McIntosh: So, that brings us to the outlook. What can our team achieve?

Veronica Bradford: I think that if we can bring the momentum from the Copa Rushmori into the qualifiers, then the sky's the limit. McAllister really has managed to forge the players into such a tight unit that they know exactly what the other players will do and make the most out of the spaces that open up.

Alistair McIntosh: How far do you think we can go?

Veronica Bradford: I think that we should at the very least make it into the playoffs and I say that we will make it into the proper. How we will do there will depend on the draw, but I'm positive that we'll make it to Chromatika. Or Tumbra.

Alistair McIntosh: Duncan?

Duncan Haldane: I'm with Veronica. I don't think we'll quite win the group, but second or third in the worst case is absolutely attainable and our team has proven that they can withstand the pressure of playoffs. Now it's your turn, Alistair.

Alistair McIntosh: (laughs) I can't really add anything to what you two said, because you put it so well.

Duncan Haldane: So it is decided then.

Alistair McIntosh: Haha, yes. Now, TBC Sports will be broadcasting every game of the qualifiers right here or on any of your other devices via the TBC Sports app, with Duncan here teaming up with none other than national team legend Rory McNair. As mentioned before, our first double whammy will be Montaña Verde and Krytenia, so it'll be a bit of a baptism by fire. I hope you will be able to tune in and not miss a minute in a hopefully epic qualifying campaign. I'm Alistair McIntosh and this is TBC Sports!
Tikariot - Rushmore - Trigramme: TKT
Sporting achievements:
Football: Ro16 (and group winner) WC87 | Winner - IFC 1 | Quarter final - BoF 73 | 3rd in group WCQ86
Baseball: Winner - International Baseball Slam XI | Round of 16 - World Baseball Classic 49/50/51
Hosting: IBS XII, Copa Rushmori 36, WBC 51, World Cup 89
NS Sports Miniflags

Ziwana
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 08, 2019
Anarchy

Zi WC Rp 1

Postby Ziwana » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:05 pm

NOT DONE YET

The Peoples Team unveil Zack Dawnbridge, Andrew Gondwe
By Mavuto Forte

Birnin Select Peoples Football Club who where recently acquired by Birnin Mansanduni local business man Mphatso Kambuwe, have made a statement of intent regarding their ambitions in the 7-8 Ngwazi League season with the signing of Athearan goal scoring maestro Zack Dawnbridge yesterday.
Also unveiled at Dali Zubani Road (Birnin Select Club House in Mbera) yesterday was national team stalwart Andrew Gondwe who had scored 20 goals in the previous Ngwazi League campaign for Teuila City who were eventually relegated.
Dawnbridge has joined from Athearan football club, Ezpita FC for 5,000,000 Silivas or 1,000,000 NS Pounds. He has been signed on a three-year deal whereas Gondwe has joined as a free agent on a one-year deal subject to a one-year extension at the discretion of the club.
With the signing of the two stars, Select have beefed their squad with four players after getting on board Hasan Hameed from Arabin Rangers and Tamaria Strikas’ up-and-coming striker Orama Bukani.
Select are also linked with the return of former midfielder Patrick Harrison, who is a free agent following the expiry of his contract with Linbank Rangers of Joshenia. Harrison had been a part of the Birnin Select side that had lifted the Ziwani Championship in 2010 CE. Patrick Harrison might double as Assistant Manager to his former teammate, Manager Francis Chiwaya.
Speaking after unveiling Dawnbridge and Gondwe, Selects Board Secretary Putani Butawo said they expect to make one or two more big signings before the season starts.
“We are not done yet. We expect to bring on board one big fish. Our target is to build a strong squad that other teams will be scared to play against,” Butawo said.
He said arrangements are being made to offload 5 players who will make for the new signings.
“We are in the process of releasing 10 players so that they should go to other teams. We want to have a manageable squad of 18 players,” Butwao said.
Dawnbridge said playing for Birnin Select was a dream come-true.
“I am ready for the new challenge. Birnin Select is a team with a lot of history and heritage and I am greatly honoured to be a part of it,” Dawnbridge said in the company of his manager.
The Peoples Team have inserted an 80 million Silivas or 16 million NS Pounds buyout clause for Dawnbridge.
The former Ezpita FC striker, who was one of Atheara National Football Team’s revelations during NS World Cup Qualifiers, said that he hoped that apart from successful at the Peoples Team he wanted to also gain experience that would push him to the next level above his current ability.
Gondwe said he was ready to wear Birnin Select colours.
I have always dreamt of playing for a big team like Birnin Select. If given the chance to play, I will work hard to help the team win,” Gondwe said.
Andrew Gondwe has links with Birnin Select through his father Jameson Shotstopper Gondwe who had played for Birnin Select in the 80s and helped the club win its 7th title in 1988.
Selects Manager Francis Chiwaya said he was happy with the club’s progress on the transfer market.

Valanora
Senator

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valanora » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:58 am

"Laborious, is it true that elves are magical? I read an article in the Valanora times the other day and it said that elves have magic but I have never seen you do any sort of magic, at least not the way that you see in the movies or games." Julia Hahn asked the captain as the two were getting ready for their first match in qualifying. The young striker from Hondo was not expected to be making an appearance in the match, yet the expanded benches and substitution rules that the World Cup Committee had enabled the last few years meant that she would at least get the opportunity to, if her services were deemed required by the new manager in charge. Eastwood was a big name domestically, with a considerable amount of the fans of Raynor City United claiming that he was the best ever manager of the historic club and had hit the ground running with the national team having captured the regional title in his first tournament and emerged out of a very dangerous group in the Group of Champions at the Eagles Cup. Eastwood was in some peoples eyes vying for the title of the best manager ever with this stint with the Marauders, if he could help the team find that historic and quite elusive sixth World Cup title, it would be making a strong case for his inclusion in the discussion.

Laborious looked on at the young lady as she was lacing up her boots and getting ready for the match at hand and wondered best at how to answer her. She was young, young enough to have barely been born when the vast majority of his people had left this realm for the return back to their celestial origins in the latest Calling. Not even a generation gone and a lot of the facts about the elves were already getting misremembered or construed, particularly for those not in the important cities where many of the elves who did remain resided. An elf might have been the Empress and had married a fellow elf of noble blood, but a resurgence in the population or a way to stop the dissemination of falsities about the elven people it was not. "Well, yes and no. I am not the best person to describe it, I did not pay too much attention during the lessons on such matters my many years ago, but I recall an instructor saying that elves were magical. It is a passive type of magic from what I understand and few enough had the ability to actively create and use that magic. If I recall correctly, one of the few who do that still remain is the High Priestess herself, perhaps that is how she is able to commune with the gods? Either way, that is what we were told in our lessons as younglings."

"Aww, does that mean that you are not able to magic tricks then? Here I was hoping that you would be able to do something like turn a glass into a balloon or stuff like that." The young striker was clearly a little disappointed but the fact that the match was nearing as to was her opportunity to earn her first senior cap was clearly also keeping the young lady excited. She had earned her spot as a starting striker with Hondo much the same as Hawk had earned his way into the team many decades before. The thought gave him a brief pause and smile as he remembered how much simpler life seemed to be when he had first started playing this crazy game, before he had gone on such wild and amazing adventures across many different lands and leagues, with success following him wherever he went. It felt like a lifetime ago and if he had been human, perhaps it would have been so, unless those researchers who were claiming that humans with elven blood or merely the humans that had developed in the Empire indeed had longer lifespans than their fellow humans from outside the Empire.

"Well no, I am afraid I can not do anything quite as fanciful as that, however there have been a score of people who have claimed that the way I have played the game has been something magical. Read into that what you will but even I have to admit that I have had a strange bit of fortune even for an elf when traveling the world and learning to play the game as best as I could. If you melted down all the honors, medals, and trophies I have won, you could probably erect a small statue." Laborious would not want one of himself, his way of life was not one that he thought others should follow in the footsteps of. Perhaps it had even been foolish to have done it himself, this reckless attempt at the pursuit of perfection, but there had always been a fire inside him that drove him on this quest. "You're from Hondo yeah? I am to, way back before I even started playing this game I sold fish at the market on the weekends. Then I ended up playing street football for awhile before a fateful day when the Hondo FC manager's walk home took him past the place where I was playing. A trial later and suddenly I was a professional footballer on the first steps towards getting to where I am now."
World Cup 40, 42, 43, 52, & 61 Champions
WC 47, 51, 94 (2nd), WC 34, 38, 39, 41, 44, 45, 53, 60, 67, 92 (3rd), WC 49, 58, 87, 90 (Semifinalist), WC 33, 35-37, 46, 48, 54, 55, 62, 63, 65, 72, 83, 85, 86, 88, 91 (Quarterfinalist)
WCoH VII, VIII, XVII, XXVIII, XXX, XXXII (1st), WCoH I, XXXI, XL (2nd), WCoH II, XXIX (3rd), WCoH XII (4th)
AOCAF 44, 46, 51, 53, 65, 68 Champions, AOCAF 39, 43, 55, 59, 64 Runners Up
Co-Hosted: too many events to count

EPL Season 20,073

I am that which I am and choose to be.

Cap Nord
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Cap Nord » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:00 am

“Bjerkness! Bjerkness! Bjerkness!”

In a way, this was planned to be a gala match. Throughout their inaugural cycle, the Whalers had shown glimpses of promise left and right. But when they happened, they nearly seemed to happen by accident: an astonishin performance from Leuwert on goal or Till Myrrheim popping up at the right place, at the right time. It gave the Capnordic fans hope, a hope that was squashed in the tail end of the qualifiers as powerhouses Mytannia and Tumbra put the Whalers back in their spot. Yet, the impact of the results suddenly seemed irrelevant against the background of domestic turmoil. The cocktail of hooliganism after the penultimate home match and an extremely difficult election culminated in a semi-violent handover of the power to the NUP, a right-wing, conservative party. To the eye of the casual bystander, a tornado of events that spitted out an unexpected result. To those in the know, the result of meticulous planning and appreciated support from Koronavian men and material. The eye for preparation from Annette Dalving, who had stylized her role as head of government to Chief Minister, was visible for those who wanted to see it: the smooth way in which vocal political opponents were silenced, the coordination of the press in bringing a positive message, the fastness of changes which were held together by visuals rather than targets. Yes, there was a king but every court needs its jester, even if he wears the crown.

And if there was one thing that Dalving understood as no one else, then it was the power of optics. Yes, she knew that child care reform and road budget expenditure and courthouse restructuring played their part in the fiber of a country. But she was well aware that Joe Public forgot all of that as long as the right panem et circenses were offered. As such, few moments had hurt her more deeply and personally than the inflated attempt to organize the Campionato. An announcement with fanfare ended up with a humiliating gaffe as deadlines were overlooked. Only damage control ensured that the main portion of the laughing stock was international, rather than domestic and that was something the NUP still could shake off. Let us consider that as a major advantage of being all powerful in a police state. She had considered taking her hands off the national football team but turned back just in time.

Because she had noticed the spark of joy brought by the Whalers during the actual Campionato. The trip to South Newlandia turned, not without a little help from those in the press that picked the idioms and synonyms, into a campaign of conquest. Bongo Johnson? Demolished. The neighbors from Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom? Pulverised. Ha’Yarok? Vanquished. Ceyne Isles? Overwhelmed and subdued. Players became soldiers in the press, star midfielder Simon Carstensen the wisest of lieutenants and Robert McEather, in bars considered to be the least insightful of the trainers guild, was portrayed as the greatest general in recent history: a tactical mastermind who overcame those pesky, shifty and (by high probability) smelly foreigners through the courageousness of our boys, the talent that had grown on them in their native clay and the sturdiness which suited the nature of our people. The final was lost against almighty Tumbra, in a game that some media painted as far closer than most international observers had seen it. It did not matter. The Whalers brought home a silver medal, someone found an old trophy of sorts that could be seen from afar and as they toured the capital on an open vehicle, Annette Dalving smiled and waved with one arm around the shoulder of hero-of-the-hour Simon Carstensen. And the crowds were loving the sensation that Cap Nord had hit relevance.

But contrary to what you would assume from a first look into a marketing department, good marketing is hard work. It requires stamina to pound your hammer on the same nail over and over until the message is so ingrained in the brains of your subjects that no one wonders anymore what it does there in the first place. The Esportivan Derby Series opened up a whole new range of opportunities for Dalving to present Cap Nord as a regional force (she avoided the word powerhouse as she knew from research that a sizable chunk of her audience preferred an underdog approach). This Stade de Marais, the backdrop for a friendly-which-was-much-more, offered the perfect scenario to make another public appearance. On the one hand, Cap Nord, walking on clouds after the Campionato and continuing their good form with two victorious duels over Racing and the Appalachian Nation. The wins seemed to draw a straight line from the Campionato success into the upcoming World Cup qualifiers. In the other corner, South Newlandia, a name which has a highly respected ring to it throughout Esportiva, one that allows to overlook that the current Elephants are a far cry from the regional tournament winners five years ago. The stadium had filled for a corrida, a slaughter by the Capnordic toreador of the elephant bull which had been lead into the arena as a fighting partner, despite their only chance being a prolongation of the pain.

It did not materialize. Football is a game that happens while you are busy making other plans and those of McEather were swiftly rebuffed by Hartford-Phelps. It turned into a game of chess and if there was one team that knew when to sacrifice a pawn left or right, it was the Elephants. The Derby Series confrontation was only the thirteenth cap for Simon Carstensen but the Campionato had honed those around him into a single solution when resistance was met: pass the ball to the Sandfjell ace and pray for the best. In their defense, this plan had worked well so far. Whenever things looked rough, there always had been a ball guided through the opposition, a perfectly fit corner or, worst case, some weird gravitational force that helped his path. He was, by all accounts, the man, the face and the leader of the team, despite still missing a twenty-first candle on his birthday pie. Seventy minutes had passed, the scoreline was nil each. Still. This grand show, this beautiful potemkin village, looked flimsy. But if there was one man this nation could get behind, nay, should get behind, it was Simon Carstensen.

That was what you would think.

Everyone heard it. Jorgen Bjerkness himself definitely heard it. He waved, carelessly, to the audience that chanted his name. Careless. Everything in his actions always bore that adjective.

Whether McEather heard it remained an open point. It was impossible not to, but he stubbornly stuck to his guns. In his eagerness to showcase his skill in front of the home crowd, he did exactly that: Bjerkness remained stuck doing warm-up sprints and neither goalkeeper conceded a goal.

Annette Dalving heard it. And with a quiet gesture, she waved to King Harold to assure himself of a picture with that young man after the game. Ah, King Harold. The nicest man to wear a crown and as a consequence, one of the ill-suitest ones. But so far, the NUP had more reasons to keep him in his golden cage than to oust him, so he could act as the odd berry on the tomato soup. Technically, he and the NUP shared the nominator ‘power’ and wore the same colors, even if everyone sort of gentlemen-like ignored his presence.

“BJERKNESS! BJERKNESS! BJERKNESS!”

And Simon Carstensen heard it. That is for sure.

Jorgen Bjerkness & Simon Carstensen at a Sandfjell team shoot last season

It was notably quiet in the dressing room. The players were packing away their gear with solemnness, aware that tonight was a watershed of sorts. Behind them lay a beautiful parcours that saw them sprint towards the regional platform, a green valley with flowers and merriness which they had traversed with flair and charm. Ahead lay the mountainous peaks of the World Cup qualifiers, where even sizable opponents had to scramble for every point in the long trek to the promised lands of Tumbra and Chromatika. It was not just the difficulty of the journey but also the length that suddenly had arrived at the top of their mind. In a season laced with regular games and IFCF confrontations, both the international matches and the traveling would start to weigh in the long run. The veterans knew it and scared the newcomers with tall tales. As a result, few spoke and no one uttered something unrequired. Even archetypical locker room jesters such as Williams and Veensma kept quiet for once. If there had been a win, maybe some bachelors had considered hitting the town but now everyone just ached for some time with loved ones. Simon Carstensen sat amid it all, looking on his phone with an earbud casually slung over his shoulder. His own postgame interview. He nearly stopped listening afterwards but noticed just in time that they had dragged someone more in front of the cameras.

"Jorgen Bjerkness, you did not receive any playing time tonight, was that a surprise?"
"In a way, yes. I think things went well against the Appalachian Nation with a goal, some assists… So yeah, I had hoped for minutes. But the coach decided to try something else and that is what these games are for."
"You are traveling back to Tikariot now, with mainly a positive or a negative feeling?"
"Positive, obviously. I am always happy to play for the Whalers, so that was great. But I am also looking forward to rejoining Fort Viljan. We are in an exciting season with a young group but with the talent on board, we can show the people what we are worth and make our fans proud."
"And we are rooting for the Arctic Foxes to make the miracle. But what I meant was, are you feeling positive about the team performances of these Derby Series?"
"I believe the main conclusion must be positive: two wins and a draw, just one goal against. It confirms that we have a good, stable launching path for this campaign."
"Does tonight not mar that image too much?"
"It was not a bad game, all in all. The Elephants won a Campionato recently, they should not be discarded. But we missed a bit of creativity, vision at times and/"

Simon had heard just enough. Time had taught him to control the explosions he felt in his chest at times like these but he could not but scan the room and lock his eyes on Bjerkness. One of the last ones to wrap up and leave. Of course. They had joined dressing rooms for a season in Sandfjell and Bjerkness was the kind of guy who always was late, always missed a sock and always left his open shampoo bottle under the running showers. At times, Simon wondered whether Bjerkness had to try to annoy so many people (or at least, Simon could only assume others had noticed the irritating sloppiness) or whether it was one of his natural talents that seemed to flow from his pores, effortless as anything else. More than ever, those missed timings, wrinkled shirts and dropped water bottles felt like personal attacks. Maybe, probably, because his words in the interview had been. Not direct, but Simon could sense it. Feel it. Taste i-

"Do you have a problem with my game, Jorgen?"

Bjerkness looked around for a second, looking for the fucking blue from which that question had come. All he could see was an empty dressing room and, at last, the sock he had been missing.

"Whaddaya mean, Simo?"

One year on the same team had learned Jorgen that it would turn Carstensen apeshit if someone shortened his name like that, but it seemed too nice an opportunity to waste.

"I mean, if you have critical notes on my gameplay, then you come to me and face me like a man and not a coward."

Simon's cheeks had discovered a new shade of red and there was a visible, physical restraint to not knock the man across in the face.

"Jeez, Simon, you're making something out of nothing. I said nothing that the mellowest of analysts would not remark. I am not gonna go out there and be all oh no we were deffo not too static in midfield because the coach has a perfect plan for every situation. People aren't dumb. Well, at least not that dumb."
"You might not be aware of it but the national team is a team. One that holds the highest standards. That means that we solve our problems internally to excel on the pitch, not in the interviews."

If Carstensen had walked away on that note, he would have gotten the last word and Bjerkness would have bitten his tongue. But no, he had to add just a little more.

"Of course, you never have been a teamplayer."

It was the wrong remark at the wrong time. Bjerkness felt that he had swallowed a lot in his twelve months in Sandfjell. It had been a year with highs, on the field, and discovering more potential. But he would rather battle relegation in Rushmore than be one more week in that environment, where everything strived for perfection and it was all about pushing the other members of the team, preferably around.

"Simon?"

Carstensen stopped midway a turn. He probably hoped for a halfhearted apology.

"Do you know I left Sandfjell, why that crowd chanted my name? Simo. Do you actually know why nobody likes you?"

Jorgen used confusion and it's super effective

A response came, and bits of spit, as every word was shouted as if it was the last one.

"I… I am highly, highly respected by everyone on this team! And in Sandfjell! I make them better, every day! I am grinding every day to make this a World Cup team and one day, the people will understand that it is that which deserves applause and not some showboating against the Appalachian Nation!"

Jorgen replied but before the fourth word, Simon Carstensen had left the dressing room with a wild and loud bang of the door.

"First of all… " BANG "First of all, Simo, you are an awful listener. No one mentioned respect. Like."

Image is AI generated and only serves to support the story, not for RP bonus

Kirungabi
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 02, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kirungabi » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:08 am

← PREV — Kirungan Delegation to Attend Rushmori Climate Conference
FEKIFUT Confirms Qualifier Venue Schedule after BoF Rematch Draw

IMISOZI - The Kirungan Football Federation (known as FEKIFUT for its abbreviation in French) confirmed the locations of all eleven scheduled home-leg World Cup Qualifier matches shortly following the Kirungan national team's exciting rematch against Archalit, the last in a series of pre-qualifier friendly matches played by Kirungabi before the squad's first ever World Cup qualifiers.

Kirungabi's post-Baptism of Fire endeavors began with a friendly series against Tumbra, with an away loss in the future World Cup co-host nation putting an end to the Kirugans' fourteen-match undefeated streak. After a 1-1 draw in Imisozi in the home leg of the series, Kirungabi participated in the Afro-Carribean Heritage Festival, an invitational tournament against other black-majority nations across the multiverse. Facing off against qualification contenders Nyowani Kitara and Mlima Kijani, the Kirungan squad walked away from the event with two wins to its name — against nations not participating in the World Cup. The unremarkable performance from the recently-crowned champions, however, was no cause of concern for head coach Cyril Kamembe: "we came to play some football, try some new things, and have a good time," he assured. The last of Kirungabi's friendly endeavors culminated in a thrilling rematch against Archalit in Al-Tamazgha; the 1-1 draw, after an impassioned counterattack and powerful equalizer from Garcons' star striker Pascal Mutabazi, proved a frustrating result for the Baptism of Fire runners-up as much as a playful relief for Kamembe and assistant coach August Abihayimana, whose strategic gambles and safety-net substitutes in the latter stages of the match proved vital to sustaining the team's defense — and further tallied up to the coaching duo's experience.

After the post-match press conference in Sakane, Al-Tamazgha had concluded, the full venue list for Kirungabi's home-leg qualifiers was revealed by FEKIFUT in a Kirungabi Itangira Guhera Sporting Commission Bulletin. Additional information about each venue is available in the Kirungabi Itangira Guhera Sporting Commssion Official Roster. Visitors to Kirungabi are recommended to visit www.kig.gov.ki/resources/maps/travel-infrast, and to skim www.radiotelevision-online.co.ki/culture/understanding-travel, for official maps and travel information, respectively. Venues are subject to change with prior notice from FEKIFUT for other stadiums, pre-approved or not, across Kirungabi. Travel logistics to VIlle Amahoro and Abongereza by land, and to Mwanzibashi via Lake Uruforo, will be arranged by FEKIFUT and the Kirungan Government should visiting federations solicit assistance.

MD   KIG v. (rank)               Venue (cap. in thousands)         Location
2 Yuezhou (39) KIG Olympic Park Stadium (60) Ville Amahoro
4 Stevencousin (UR) Abongereza Olympic Arena (21.5) Abongereza
6 Qasden (105) Stade Inganji (52) Imisozi
9 Gyatso-Kai (79) Stade Mutoni Mwanzilishi (31) Mwanzibashi
11 Adab (34) Stade Inganji (52) Imisozi
12 Dod Rava (261) Abongereza Olympic Arena (21.5) Abongereza
14 Ceni (63) Stade Inganji (52) Imisozi
16 Græntfjall (5) KIG Olympic Park Stadium (60) Ville Amahoro
18 Natanians and Nosts (119) Stade Mutoni Mwanzilishi (31) Mwanzibashi
19 Talamia (214) Stade Mutoni Mwanzilishi (31) Mwanzibashi
21 Canadian Dominion (134) KIG Olympic Park Stadium (60) Ville Amahoro

Map of Kirungabi.

Head of State: President Innocent Uburiganya
Prime Minister: Theophile Sendashonga
Further summary

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 am

City Centre | Ceni | Rushmore | World | Opinion | Politics | Sport | Business | Arts & Lifestyle | Travel

Cenian delegates to converge on CORNCOB amid political jockeying at home

Audrey Goleidas' announcement that she would retire within the next few weeks has not seemed to hinder Ceni's participation in the upcoming CORNCOB conference.

Indeed, Cenian representatives of varying stripes will converge on the Convention Of Rushmori Nations on Climate, Oceans, and Biodiversity, set to be held in Altendalur, Græntfjall in the coming months.

With Goleidas' successor in doubt, Cenian Minister of Energy and Environment Sevisa Aralen and Cenian Minister of Urban Planning Kel Viridian will headline the Cenian delegation to the conference. For the moment, neither politico is in the frontline of candidates to succeed Goleidas, but instrumental Cenian leadership in any resulting accord may thrust Aralen or Viridian to the front of the pack.

"The race to succeed our most successful prime minister since Shadow B'betsy is the furthest thing from my mind," said Aralen, speaking to reporters before boarding a specially chartered Air Terranea flight to Altendalur fueled entirely with biofuels. "My primary goal is to ensure that Rushmori nations make a real commitment towards working towards our environment — after all, there is no Planet B." (After the discovery of the multiverse, that slogan has evolved to reflect the fact that other planets like Sonnel will not likely accept a horde of refugees from Ennessearth.)

Viridian echoed Aralen's sentiments, stating that he did not plan to throw his hat in the ring to succeed Goleidas.

"I look forward to collaborating with my Rushmori colleagues to share and learn about how government policy affects our urban environments," said Viridian. Viridian added that he hoped to make the short hop over to Háttmark to root for the Cenian national team in their qualifying match against Græntfjall.

"But I'm not that big a fan of football, so I won't let the game distract me too much from the important work going on in Altendalur!" Viridian joked. Unfortunately, Aralen did not mention whether she would step away from the conference to root for the Tir Snakes.

Beyond a substantial government delegation, private and quaternary sector representatives will also make the short flight to Altendalur.

Representing the Cenian private sector, solar panel manufacturer Eos, wind turbine specialist Albatross, and electric scooter company Zanzara will all attempt to sell their wares at the World’s Green Fair, held concurrently with the high-level political negotiations. The three companies will jointly sponsor an event on expanding renewable energy production while still maintaining environmental standards for resource extraction.

But the companies' participation in the World's Green Fair comes on the heels of reporting by the Cenial Tribune that the three companies have formed a joint venture to expand their resource production in Cardenao, taking advantage of both that country's lax environmental regulations and its wealth of rare earth minerals.

"We reject the implication that our joint efforts in Cardenao will cause more environmental damage than they will solve," said Oro Beryor, a spokesperson for Albatross. "We intend to fully comply with all relevant environmental regulations, and we believe that renewable energy is the most viable solution towards reducing our carbon footprint and extricating ourselves from the climate crisis."

Air Terranea will also dispatch Ren Deanaga, the head of its newly developed Sustainability Department. Deanaga will most likely expound on the company's new efforts to develop sustainable aviation fuel, promote hydrogen-based flight, and fly more regional and intra-Terranean flights with electric-powered airplanes.

But Air Terranea is also expected to forcefully defend aviation as a business model despite its carbon emissions, citing principles of freedom of movement and aviation's role in connecting the world together.

Deanaga was not made available for comment, with Air Terranea instead issuing a statement full of boilerplate corporate-speak that sounds frighteningly similar to Albatross' corporate-speak.

"We fully support exchange and interaction that will take place at CORNCOB," said the statement. "We believe that, with our technological advances that we will present at the conference, aviation will remain a sustainable business for decades to come, and we look forward to continuing to play the connective role that we have played in the SAREIMA regions for the last fifty years."

Alongside the for-profit concerns, several Cenian nonprofits will send representatives, both in the spirit of international exchange as well as to lobby for more support towards their individual concerns.

All three major Cenian research universities will send academics to display their latest research in solar panels, insulation, battery storage, hydrogen power, and other innovations related to reducing emissions. (This political writer does not claim to know enough to do any such inventions justice.)

Meanwhile, the Cenian Urban Farming Federation (CUFF) will tout urban farming's benefits as a solution to the intense emissions caused by agriculture. CUFF's pride and joy? A new farm in City Centre that will raise 1,093 tons of crickets for cricket meal in one month.

"I will probably be that annoying bug guy," said Tas Eixusau, a self-described "bug evangelist" who works for CUFF on its entomophagy projects. "Yes, I will make the pun: I will bug you until you agree to learn about eating bugs."

Eixusau adds that bugs can taste just like traditional meat, but come only a fraction of carbon emissions associated with animal agriculture. "They're better for you, and they're better for the planet," he says.

Believe it or not, the bug evangelists are not the most interesting group headed to the CORNCOB conference.

That title would belong to the literal corncob sellers — a group of street vendors from Santiago de Ceni who have brought a substantial supply of elotes to CORNCOB with them.

"We have all kinds of elotes to sell," said Viviana Velasco, who had already started to do a brisk business at Cenial City Airport as the dignitaries and private sector representatives gathered to depart. "You can buy traditional coal-grilled elotes, you can buy the kernels in some crimson cascabel peppers, even some elotes with Demon Smile hot sauce from Tikariot, some mayo, ketchup, and mustard."

Asked about the irony of using coal to grill corncobs at the CORNCOB conference, Velasco replied with a smile and two words: "They're delicious!"
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:24 am

To say that things are starting to return to normal after the attempted coup would be both an understatement as well as an oversimplification of what the Dual Islands was going through. There was indeed a slow return back to normal for the people as well as the government as each tried to assess and figure out how to move on from the events that had transpired. Azra was now the rightful Queen of the Dual Islands, having inherited it from her father Jakub/Jakob, while her brother ruled in Peynol as the de facto governor of the island in her stead, while their loyal cousin Aslan was named in the line of succession to bring the family ties closer and prevent any sort of crisis like this happening again in the near future. At least on the surface level, it was a time of peace and rebuilding that which had been torn apart by the attempted coup, attacks on the dual islands, and the brief occupation of Torgos and the northern parts of Pargis.

Yet underneath that veneer of peace, there was a growing animosity of the populace towards that against there would be allies in the rest of the region. While no one in the dual islands would discount or take for granted the aid that Eura and Sargossa gave to the island in its time of need, that they were the only nations that did so shattered the illusion of a common bond with the rest of the region. The Common Rushmori Community was starting to be seen as a façade as a way to attempt to strongarm monarchies into accepting democracy rather than the tool for regional unity and prosperity that King Jakub and the rest of the nation had believed it to be when they had decided to move forward with applying for membership within the organization. The CRC demanded quite a few concessions out of the nation in order for their membership to be approved, including the creation of several government positions that were to be voted on by the general population at large and assurances that Pasarga would be moving towards a more democratic government in the future.

Perhaps if King Jakub had not perished earlier than most had anticipated, none of this would have ever have come to pass and that the CRC would live up the idea that Jakub had believed it to be when he had put the dual islands on the course towards that membership. He had been the one to create several of minister positions as well as establish the Parliament, the very tool that would then later be used in an attempt to deny his children their inheritance and the end of the Majistar line as a whole. Jakub had ceded quite a bit of the throne's overall power to the parliament once it had been properly established and seen out multiple votes, letting the nation become accustomed to the more democratic process, however the old king had never dreamed of ceded all power from the throne. Each were supposed to check and balance one another, not be the dominating force in the power struggle when it came to governing the island, that is where the rogue parliamentarians seemed to err and err in how the common person viewed them compared to the royal family.

Azra pulled up her phone and buzzed her secretary into her office. The will of the people had to be considered and if that meant drastic action, then Azra would at least have to put it on the table and weigh the options. "Please arrange a meeting at the earliest convenience with the Euran ambassador, I have a few important issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible." Whatever steps forward that were to be taken, the Eurans had to be on side or at least willing to nominally back it. Pasarga owed Eura and Sargossa a great debt and Azra was not going to condone a course of action that would leave to the severing of those ties. She had to be tactful and diplomatic, her test as sovereign of the nation was going to be early in her rule it seemed, balancing the will of the people with the needs of maintaining strong friendships and political capital.

New Gelderland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Gelderland » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:59 am

Olympic fever hits New Gelderland... leaving World Cup by the wayside

With the Olympic Council nearly unanimously voting to elect Globeflower and Trethanton as Olympic hosts, New Gelderland has suddenly entered Olympic mania.

Olympic pins, Olympic hats, Olympic pullovers are flying off the shelves, prohibitions against commercialism be damned. Flights to Vaduz are selling out as excited skiers wish to claim that they skiied on an Olympic skiing course; airport officials there have explored building a new concourse to accommodate the anticipated traffic for the Olympics. Tickets to the events held in New Gelderland will have to be rationed in order to meet the anticipated foreign and domestic demand.

Of course, the Olympics will be in a few years; it will take that long to sort out all the logistics.

And, in the meantime, an equally important event in the international sporting calendar is being almost entirely omitted from the minds of most Gelderlish: World Cup qualifying.

Normally an event to attract crowds in pubs from Nassau Bay to Lexington and in between, it seems like our sporting fervour has been redirected almost entirely to the Olympics, in spite of that event not taking place for another few years. (Editor's note: As we have mentioned at least once before.)

GelderSport set out to report on this phenomenon to find out why nobody is paying attention to the World Cup these days.

"We have no shot at qualifying," says Myles Edison of Nassau Bay. "Why would we go to a pub and root for Nephara or Eura? That just doesn't make any sense, to spend our time invested in the success of another country."

Why not root for Ceni, New Gelderland's partner in the Confederation of the Afanc Strait?

"Ceni are a boring side," says Edison. "Who cares about them?"

Medousa Trent of Lexington offers another perspective. "In the Olympics, there is a lot of different stuff going on," she says. "If I get tired of downhill skiing, I can change the channel to ice dancing or biathlon. Football is football; New Gelderland versus Jeruselem is going to look the same as Ceni versus Kirungabi."

So should the World Cup keep its sacrosanct place in the international sporting calendar?

"Absolutely not, at least from my perspective," says Trent. "I think the Olympics should take supremacy. They're a lot more fun than the World Cup."

At least a few people are going to be watching the adventures of Allyson McKenna and Jaclyn Swan-Weiss and company.

"This cycle, New Gelderland presents the perfect underdog story," says Ty Martel of Gallant Fields. Martel and his friends will root for the underdog ten times out of ten, even if it is a losing battle. "But we did well last time, and I think we'll be able to qualify this time."

But Martel and his friends are in the minority: International football (and perhaps even domestic football) has seemingly lost its relevance here in New Gelderland, with most of the country's energy going towards the Olympics.

But that's okay.

New Gelderland has always done better in the Olympics than the World Cup anyway.

Eura
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eura » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:43 am

EBC News (Public broadcaster, non-partisan, nationwide)
SUCCESSFUL HYPERSONIC MISSILE TEST TRIGGERS CHEST BEATING, HAND WRINGING, FINGER WAGGING

A fiery political debate has blown up in Bastion and beyond after the Euran military and private industry successfully tested a new hypersonic weapon.

Aerospace giant Mansley Systems and the Ministry of Defence announced in a joint statement yesterday morning that an initial “learning deployment” of the weapon had been completed over the Endemian Ocean, travelling as much as 2,000 kilometres before hitting and destroying a stationary target, “exceeding expectations” in its accuracy. The weapon has been dubbed “Kingfisher” while in development, and little further detail had been given on its existence until now.

That all changed with a more detailed publication released at the same time as the announcement, giving further details of the system and its role. It seems set to enter service in a matter of months in a limited role under the name “ASM-52”. Analysts have suggested this means the weapon will have a primarily anti-shipping role, distinct from the duties of standard anti-ship missiles, cruise missiles and conventional ballistic missiles.

The details of how the weapon performed are thin, but defence industry sources have been quoted in numerous publications claiming the ASM-52 will be the first operational Euran “hypersonic glide vehicle”, plugging one of a number of perceived technological gaps to have emerged in the Euran arsenal in the last decade. The weapon is launched from an existing ballistic missile platform, but offers enhanced maneuverability over a standard ballistic missile, independently maneuvering and gliding towards its target after launch at as much as twenty times the speed of sound.

Although some analysts cast doubt on more extraordinary claims made about the capabilities of such weapons, it is theorised that they can avoid more powerful anti-air defences, including anti-ballistic missile systems. This would make such a missile very dangerous to enemy fleets, but more importantly it could be applied to nuclear-armed systems, potentially including Eura’s nuclear deterrent.

Based on how Euran weapons procurement has worked in the past, ASM-52 will most likely begin mass production shortly after its limited service run. However, all of this technical discussion has been overshadowed by a political row brewing in Bastion. Last night Eura’s main nuclear disarmament groups condemned the test, including the Euran Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Ban the Bomb and Nukes Are Bad, Mmkay?

Overnight the debate has shifted into the party political realm, with the Social government making the most of the news. They are already riding high in the polls despite their fare share of mid-term blues and have claimed vindication for their post-war massive cutbacks to the military, in return for an increased focus on new technologies. Minister of Defence Richard Skinner spoke to EBC News this morning, claiming that “systems like Kingfisher are the future – and it wouldn’t be affordable without our overhaul of the armed forces and military industrial complex”.

Newspapers and broadcasters that are normally unfriendly to Eura’s centre-left government have been unusually favourable, and the nominally centre-right Capital Party has been silent, but the right wing Unionist Party have broken ranks with many of their biggest cheerleaders. Several prominent figures have taken to the airwaves to criticise the government and Mansley Systems, asserting that they have commissioned a “hugely expensive boondoggle” at the expense of “hundreds of thousands, millions even, of good jobs in the armed forces”.

“Of course, we want the best means with which to crush our enemies, but why does Joe Public have to be shafted in the process” said Terrance Flatiron, Unionst MP for Fiddlesborough, “why can’t we just shoot commies the old fashioned way rather than resorting to gold-plated weapons of mass bankruptcy?” The centrist Liberal opposition have been critical as well on cost grounds, pointing to this new missile as “the latest in a long line of Social Party’s unfunded attempts to stem the growth of the nationalist right”.

Social sources have laughed off this criticism, pointing out that the programme began under the last Liberal government. But not all is well within the ranks of the governing party either. Figures on the left of the Social Party have struggled to make a mark on foreign policy in recent years, marginalised in their own party and outflanked on the left by the increasingly fringe Civil Federalists. Yet many of their cadre of MPs have privately grown restless and are starting to voice their concerns.

“You’re not going to have me putting my name to something saying ‘Euran military bad’, ok?” one backbencher told us, before admitting, “but, unattributably, I’ll happily say this is a triumphalist display of imperial might while Euran children go hungry. The Sameban fascists are beaten. What do we need these things for?” Criticism from the dominant soft left of the party and highly influential right has been few and far between, with most stomaching any inherent unease about flag waving and military spending under a nice comfy blanket of a twelve point national poll lead.

The military itself has been absent from the debate, having been reined in severely by the Barnham administration since it took office after an unusually activist phase during the dying days of the last government. A Social source didn’t hold back; ‘They will moan about anything really, the fact is though they’re getting new kit that should have been ready ten years ago. When the military was left to its own devices they completely failed to maintain Eura’s technological edge, relying on numbers alone, treating our national security as a jobs programme for GI’s. They won’t fix it, so we will.’

While the Barnham administration revels in its newfound ability to wrap itself in blue-and-gold, and their opponents variously get angry or give up, sage voices in Eura’s much respected “strategic community” have given a more nuanced assessment. The Federal Institute for Strategy has published an analysis calling the Kingfisher programme one of a number of “necessary investments” in Eura’s defence modernisation, but also cautioned against an overly militarised security approach. “At a time when economic, cultural and political links such as the CRC are becoming more important, Bastion must avoid losing sight of the bigger picture, and remember that the famous phrase isn’t just to ‘carry a big stick’, but also to ‘speak softly’. By hyping up new Euran capabilities, the administration risks alarming friends and enemies alike.”
United Federation of Eura - Sporting achievements
Champions: WC66, WC73, CR23, CR27, CR34, CoH 85, Market Cup I, Next Generation Trophy, Gold Medal (Mens Football) Olympics IX
Runner up: WC60, WC72, WC78, CR16, CR20, CR32, CR44, CoH51, COH79
Host: CR24, CR37, BoF60, CR Under 21's and Under 17's

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports