NATION

PASSWORD

Cup of Harmony 83 Host Bid - Mertagne and Tumbra

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Wed May 25, 2022 2:58 am

The Nation of Mertagne and The Federal Republic of Tumbra are pleased to present a bid for the hosting rights of the 83rd Cup of Harmony.

Image Image

Invitations and Format

The criteria for Cup of Harmony bids has always been fluid; and this time will be no different. In keeping with the tournament’s aim of rewarding deserving RPers, we will work together with the hosts of the World Cup to determine the field of entrants through the sharing of RP bonus data, which has been outlined in the World Cup 91 bid.The baseline we are working with would be consistent, quality RP, and a roster posted in the World Cup 91 Roster Thread, but it can be assumed that the criteria will be loosened rather than tightened to ensure that more countries can take part.

With recent Cups of Harmony being on the larger side, this edition will be no different; we estimate that about 48 to 64 teams will be invited, and the format will be adjusted accordingly. We will, however, at this time commit to no playoffs; if a number of teams are participating that does not conform to a “neat” format, then a “best Xth-placed finisher” system will be used to determine who makes the knockouts. We will also try to have larger-sized groups in the group stage —we believe that 4 members in a group makes things too random in the group stages, and believe that a slightly longer group stage will help to slightly mitigate that, ensuring that the best roleplayers rise to the top. This, however, will be subject to the final number of participants — if it turns out that 4 per group is the only feasible solution, then we will have to go with that.

Scorinations will take place on days where there is no World Cup cutoff.

With 130 of the 165 nations currently partaking in qualification having posted a roster, and it being a foregone conclusion that nations who are invited to the Cup of Harmony will also have posted a roster, roster-to-signup will not be enforced; rather, a TG confirmation will be sufficient to confirm participation.

Scorination

xkoranate 0.3.3 with ± additive mods, as is standard. The formula used will be NSFS, to mirror the scorination formula used by the World Cup finals. RP bonus will be cumulative, and generous; it will not be required to write a full-length novel to get a high amount of bonus.

Information about RP bonus will be provided at cutoff; though this data will be presented as a % of the max RP score, much like how the current hosts are doing for WCQs. Individual RP bonuses will be kept secret, and will not be disclosed to anyone.

Tiebreakers will be Points, Goal Difference, H2H points, H2H goal difference, coinflip (OOC: a scorinated game with RP bonus only, without any rank).

Experience

Mertagne has hosted the recently completed seventy-eighth Baptism of Fire, and in the distant past hosted World Cup 66 and AOCAF 41.

Tumbra has hosted the seventeenth edition of the Campionato Esportiva, the fifteenth edition of the Under-18 World Cup, and the seventy-seventh edition of the Baptism of Fire with Graentfjall.

IC information

The nation of Mertagne is a nation of approximately 66 million people, located in northern [Nova] Calania, in the region of Anaia. A recently resurgent sporting nation, the country is well equipped to host a variety of matches for the nations lucky enough to visit for the Cup of Harmony, having recently managed to successfully* host this cycle’s Baptism of Fire. The FMF will be overseeing this tournament with a much more critical eye than before, so the stadium ‘surprises’ you may have seen in the past will be few and far between.

*depending on who you ask

The Federal Republic of Tumbra is a sprawling nation with a population of 114 million. Holding democratic ideals and the sport of football close to its heart, the Federal Republic is chock-full of ready-made infrastructure that requires little refurbishment to host. Due to recent geopolitical events, matches will not be held in the north of the country, and security efforts will be stepped up accordingly to ensure that the tournament goes smoothly.
Last edited by Tumbra on Wed May 25, 2022 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic News | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Wed May 25, 2022 4:16 am

Sometimes these bids all look similar that it ends up being a competition of which guy you trust more...or is it? I do note the formula difference (NSFS vs SQIS) and the inclination to not use a play-in round in your bid, but is there more differences between your bid and the other bid?
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 24, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mertagne » Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 am

PotatoFarmers wrote:Sometimes these bids all look similar that it ends up being a competition of which guy you trust more...or is it? I do note the formula difference (NSFS vs SQIS) and the inclination to not use a play-in round in your bid, but is there more differences between your bid and the other bid?

Aside from posing an alternative option to those that may have their personal reservations against other bids, I believe our commitment to aim for a longer group stage sets us apart from the other bid. Our preference for fewer groups, that are larger in size than four members, aims to soften the blow of a single bad result during that stage and reward high quality role-players in a tournament designed to showcase them.
user pronouns: he/him

The Nation of Mertagne - World Wonder Wizard!
Capital: Dannin ¤ Trigram: MRT ¤ Demonym: Mertagnian ¤ Map: Here! ¤ Anything Else: Here!
¤ combined a jet engine with fireworks ¤ ANAIA NATION ¤ Author of NS Issue #1508 ¤

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Wed May 25, 2022 5:31 am

I note Tumbra has hinted at there being significant uphaeval in his country.

Are those of us who are extremely disinclined to allow such in our RP permissions able to ignore such events without RP penalty?

Also, two much more basic questions: Why do both of you want to host the Cup of Harmony? And why should we choose your bid?
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Wed May 25, 2022 7:55 am

I can confirm that at no point will anyone be required to interact with the Northlands, nor will anything Northlands-related occur during the tournament; that was merely flavour text.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic News | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 24, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mertagne » Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am

Sarzonia wrote:Also, two much more basic questions: Why do both of you want to host the Cup of Harmony? And why should we choose your bid?

I thought a lot about this question, and figured that I couldn't just give one answer, as people, myself included, have plenty of reasons to want to host a major WCC tournament, not all of them good. To that end, I've split my answer into several sections, each with a serious bit and a silly bit in italics, which you are, like any IC events, free to ignore at your leisure. For a quick answer, take a six-sided die and roll it, noting the result. Then, pick the option that is numbered the same as the result:

1. "I want to continue to build my hosting portfolio and for the community to continue to gain confidence in my hosting ability. The Cup of Harmony is a large tournament with experienced roleplayers, and is a natural next step in the hosting career of both prospective hosts, which in turn will allow me to continue chasing the high of 'good feedback'."
  2. "I enjoyed hosting the recent Baptism of Fire, and I will enjoy hosting a tournament with a more active engagement ratio, as there will be a greater number of interesting RPs to read and I enjoy reading your RPs (yes, yours, dear reader!)."
  3. "I think that my co-host is a confident and capable member of the NationStates community and I want to collaborate with them both in- and out- of game to further our OOC and IC friendship, the former of which involves laughing at memes together on the Anaia discord, and the latter involves supporting the operations in the Tumbran Northlands."
  4. "I believe that the community is enriched when given a larger variety of choice in its hosts, and I didn't want the other bid to run unopposed. I felt confident enough to host the tournament in an engaging way without any issues, so I thought 'who better to do it than me?', because I have an overly inflated opinion of myself."
  5. "I have some free time in which to dedicate to the task of hosting the CoH, and I didn't want to waste it on banal things like self-improvement."
  6. "I've been back here like a year now and I want to continue to give back to a community that I enjoy interacting with. I really want you all to take me seriously, and if I control the fate of the cycle's second most important tournament* then that will very much help."
*depending on who you ask

Repeat this process as many times as you feel necessary for me to adequately reveal my machinations/motivations on why I personally want to host the Cup of Harmony.

As for the latter question - vote for this bid if you'd like to see the tournament hosted by myself or by Tumbra. We will promise you nothing more and deliver you nothing less.
user pronouns: he/him

The Nation of Mertagne - World Wonder Wizard!
Capital: Dannin ¤ Trigram: MRT ¤ Demonym: Mertagnian ¤ Map: Here! ¤ Anything Else: Here!
¤ combined a jet engine with fireworks ¤ ANAIA NATION ¤ Author of NS Issue #1508 ¤

Xanneria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xanneria » Wed May 25, 2022 4:31 pm

When do you plan on opening CoH sign ups and with what method do you plan on using for sign ups?

I ask cause I have a vacation next that may get in the way of CoH signups.
Xanneria: My main nation
Teams
NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Maroons - Record 80-23-59 (W-D-L) (This may not be 100% accurate)
FIRST CONTEST: Copa Esportiva 23
FIRST GAME: Vangazaland 3-1 Xanneria
FIRST WIN: 5-3 vs Qingland
LARGEST MOV: 5-0 vs Pineapple Porcupines/ 7-2 vs Starcom Racing/5-0 vs HAIKU
CHAMPIONSHIPS:Baptism of Fire 69 (Nice!) winner / Group Winner CE24
Non Association Football Stats
NSCF TEAMS: Xannerian Polytechnic
NSSCRA: Cars #10,12,16

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Is there any particular reason for favouring NSFS over SQIS?
Meh

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Thu May 26, 2022 12:17 am

Xanneria wrote:When do you plan on opening CoH sign ups and with what method do you plan on using for sign ups?

I ask cause I have a vacation next that may get in the way of CoH signups.

We intend to send out invites to those not making the playoffs after the last day of qualifiers, and those who unfortunately fail to make the World Cup proper through the playoffs will receive their telegrams following the conclusion of the second leg

As stated in the post, a simple TG confirmation will be required, because to be invited to the Cup of Harmony, you will need a roster - and if there is no roster posted, you simply need to refer back to the WC91 roster thread.

-Our current intention will be to start at about the same time as the World Cup, with scorination dates falling on the days on which the World Cup is not being scorinated.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports