NATION

PASSWORD

World Bowl XLIV (44) - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Fri May 20, 2022 6:59 am

Gavin Davis couldn't believe what he was watching.

His Sarzonian national gridball team were trailing Kyhun by four with no time remaining. He saw an official throw a flag on what looked like it would be the final play of a cataclysmic, shocking, embarrassing upset defeat to a side that had looked particularly meek throughout this nine-match qualifying campaign. An offence that had scored 35 points total in eight prior matches had scored 14 against the Stars. A defence that conceded an average of 35.75 points per match held the Stars to just 10. Davis was already deep in thought about how the hell he was going to explain this defeat when he looked and saw the Ko-orenite referee stride to the middle of the pitch.

"Pass interference, defence. The ball will be placed at the spot of the foul. Since the game cannot end on a defensive penalty, there will be one untimed down." Davis now had to think quickly. The ball was on the Kyhun 38, so a field goal here would be 56 yards. It was the exact length of his kicker Matt Andersen's career long boot against Northern Moravica at Ruwani Motor Speedway that gave the Climbers a walk-off win over the Cougars, but it was an awful lot to ask a college kicker to win a match at the national team level. He would have to put his faith in Cameron Stallworth, who entered the match in the fourth quarter for an ineffective Mike Barnett and drove the Stars to a touchdown that made it a one-possession contest.

Davis called the play. Stallworth barked out the signals at the line.

"Here's the snap. Stallworth back, rolling to his right, fires deep and it's CAUGHT! TOUCHDOWN! STEVE SWAIN! THE STARS WIN IT! Sixteen to 14! No flags!"

Davis took off his headset and breathed a huge sigh of relief. His Stars overcame a shocking 14-0 deficit at halftime and the loss of kicker Matt Vargas to a sprained knee on his made 31-yard field goal in the third quarter. His team overcame 14 penalties and five turnovers, four of them interceptions by Barnett and one a fumble on a botched handoff to Ty'Relle Clinton. Kyhun made stopping Clinton a point of emphasis and with Barnett not nearly the mobile threat Stallworth is, they were able to keep him in check for most of the match. He finished the day with 29 carries for 87 yards, but was finally able to find running lanes with the return of Stallworth under centre.

Andersen was not sent on to try an extra point because it would play no role in the outcome of the match. Besides, he and the rest of his teammates were too busy reveling in jubilation.

Regardless of how close this match against the worst team in the group was, Davis and company would have to rebound quickly. They will face co-host nation South Newlandia in the South Newlandian quarterfinal, battling it out in a hostile environment in the one decently sized venue in this part of the competition. Despite allowing 27 of Kyhun's paltry 49-point total in two of their three matches, the Stars finished the group stage with the lowest points allowed figure in the entire group stage, including a notoriously stingy Ko-orenite side. Sarzonia's 176 points scored represented the lowest offensive total of any team remaining in the competition, as South Newlandia held the next lowest total in their bracket at 238.

But right now, the focus for the Stars was on how they would defence South Newlandia and face off in what would clearly be an away contest.

"We've been in that position before," Davis said. "We faced Buffalostan in a prelim match in the World Bowl they hosted. We're treating this as a true road match." As for the shockingly close victory over the worst team in the group, Davis just shook his head and said, "a win is a win."
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Venmere
Spokesperson

Founded: May 07, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Venmere » Fri May 20, 2022 7:21 am

VNAFT Officially Eliminated

The VNAFT is officially removed from further tournament play after being outscored 48-7 in their final two games, albeit against the two best teams in their group. With the losses, Venmere will return home and prepare for the next tournament. 3 wins out of 9 games is not a bad showing for their first tournament!
11-7, Quarterfinals, International Baseball Slam XIV
13-17, 6th in Group B, WBC 52
6-14, 6th in Group C, WBC 55
Total International Record: 30-38

3rd place in Group B, BoF 76

3-6, World Bowl 44

All these achievements testify to the fact that I am not very good at sports XD
Please TG me if you want me to join your event

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

GFLB Draft Night

Postby Banija » Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 am

Banijan Public Television has the local television rights to the first ever expanded GFLB, which is expected to be massive viewing in country. With the first round on a Thursday, and with all the international players finally started to leak through to the GFLB, it has suddenly become a massive TV viewing event in Banija.

The Busukuma Convention Center is packed, with all sorts of domestic and foreign media, as well as fans and representatives of all 24 GFLB teams.

Distinguished Banijan sports journalist, Allison Karbago, is the primary host of the GFLB Draft. She is joined by former Loyola-Istria and NT star QB Isaka Jawara, as well as former NMU FS Klaus Levas

Cameraman: "And we're LIVE! In 5... 4.... 3.... 2......."

Allison Karbago: "Hello Banija! And welcome here to the first round of the GFLB Draft! We'll be kicking off in a half an hour, when the Dukuma Dragons, forever hapless, go on the clock. This year, I'm joined by a pair of former NSCF Champions. Of course, the ever popular Isaka Jawara- superstar QB, former national teamer, winner of both the NSCF Offensive Player of the Year, and NSCF Most Outstanding Player awards, etc... Etc... The list goes on and on. And then, on my left, recently retired Black Mambas free safety Klaus Levas! A former starting safety for Northern Moravica, when they won the NSCF title in NSCF 19, defeating both halves of the Rebel's Cannon Bowl to get there."

Both men wave, with Klaus Levas on Karbago's left, and Isaka Jawara on Karbago's right

Allison Karbago: "Well, of course, both of you men have been drafted, and had long and successful GFLB careers. What do you have to say to the players whose life long dreams are about to be achieved tonight?"

Isaka Jawara: "All I've gotta say, is this. Congratulations to anyone getting draft tonight! You've made it. As you all know, I was the #1 overall pick to Lwanga when I came out of school. Obviously, there's a lot of pressure that comes with being picked first overall, but that pressure applies to any first round pick- aka, anybody who is going to get drafted tonight. Nobody's simply born with enough football talent to get into this league. Everything has to be honed, has to be trained, has to be crafted. And once you get to the league, competition is far more difficult than it was in college. Don't let all the media attention, or even all the money, get to your head. Enjoy the moment, of course. But keep crafting your skill, work twice as hard. And that's how you'll succeed in the league."

Allison Karbago: "Great advice, Isaka." (she nodded to the quarterback, and then turned her head to the NMU alum. "Klaus, what can you say?"

Klaus Levas: "Well, as you all know, I was a 2nd round projection that fell into the fourth round on draft weekend." (He shook his head before continuing) "All I'm gonna say, is don't worry about when you get drafted! When you get picked by a team, whether it's an early round, or if you fall and have to wait far longer than anyone expects, you're going to get a chance to play in this league. Don't miss that chance! Keep your focus on the field. It's easy to get distracted by off the field happenings. Hell, in my own career, that happened to me- I got cut after 2 years by Herzegovina City, and barely made a roster spot for the Black Mambas. But when my opportunity came to start, I snagged it, and ended up playing for 15 years."

Allison Karbago: "Yes, that's very good. Now, of course, it's the hapless Dukuma Dragons who are drafting first. With just 3 wins across their last two seasons, they find themselves in a very familiar position, having to draft a quarterback. Some may say Busoga's largest city is cursed with their sports teams- Dukuma SC is fairly hapless, and the Dragons are consistently at the bottom of the league. Isaka, can the Dragons find their man during this draft?"

Isaka Jawara: "Well, there are a few quality QBs available in this draft. I think you have Zaminkosi Holomisa with the highest ceiling? Having poor pocket presence will ruin you, but those things can be learned. You can't teach his combination of big arm and pinpoint accuracy. Although honestly, Craig Juniper might be the way to go. He may get an Offensive Player of the Year award, and he certainly seems more pro-ready..."

As he was saying that, he trailed off as he held his earpiece to his ear. Clearly, something major was going on- it was extremely rare for journalists to simply not fill the space and void with sound. Klaus Levas bagned his hand on the table, as someone off camera briefly ran up to the desk, and whispered something into the ear of Allison Karbago. She looked stunned, then gathered herself, and started speaking.

Allison Karbago: "Breaking News! Oh my word, oh my word! One that will shake the foundations of the GFLB itself! With so many QB spots open now, with 8 expansion teams at once, we expected an out of the box move or two- but nothing like this!"

Isaka Jawara: "Allison, this is going to change the entire landscape of the GFLB, and of this draft itself! I never would've believed... There were no rumors, no leaks! Oh my...."

Allison Karbago: "We can confirm here first, on public television, that Deondre 'Diamond' Rhine- yes, The Diamond Rhine, an alumnus of Cold Hill University, has signed with the Bwubanza Ostriches! My oh my, they haven't even played a game, and this may be the biggest free agent signing in the GFLB ever since Isaka Jawara himself left the Lwanga Rhinos for the Istria Black Mambas!

Klaus Levas: "WOW! Allison, this is insane. The Ostriches have made the biggest move, quite possibly the boldest move, of draft night with this one. He, of course, is a two-time MVP with the Dietrich Dynamos in the RFL, and quite frankly, he is at the very peak of his powers. We all saw what he did in college, going to three NSCF championship games in a row, and winning two of them. He's as good as they come, and is one of those very few quarterbacks that can go toe to toe with some of the very best. The three best QBs in the world, are probably some combination of Taurus Wright, John Garrett, and Sarai Gwenderyn- and if you needed a guy to compete in a league that has two of them, he'd be a pretty decent bet."

Allison Karbago: "A stunning move. Great business saavy, and it is absolutely something that should work out, on the field, for the GFLB. This would be the second major Ranorian QB that we've gotten, with Wagner-Young entering the GFLB draft a year ago. Considering his talent level, however, you have to look at why they allowed him to walk in the first place. Ultimately, he is a slightly chaotic figure who can be hard to pidgeon hole. It's one thing at the college level- but in the pros, it's hard. They went all-in with him, with Alessandro Mio at WR, and Johnny Farmer as his tight end. But he was such a chaotic presence in the locker room, that the Dynamos felt that they had no choice but releasing him. Rumor has it that his behavior caused both Mio and Farmer to leave, and that's fairly unforgiveable. They gave him the weapons, and he got the stats- but didn't win a title. Of course, that's hard- but can the Ostriches reign him in?"

Isaka Jawara: "Well, they wanted to come with a bang, and doggone it- they came out with a bang. They say he has all these problems, and while they are legitimate- ultimately, you're picking at the back of the first round, and yet, you come out with a bonafide already proven superstar at QB, and you haven't even given up any draft capital. You can certainly do a lot worse!"

The scene behind them grew slightly chaotic, and the three journalists stopped talking to let the scene unfold from behind them. The news had trickled its way down to fans of the Bwubanza Ostriches, and the Ostriches section of the place had started cheering loudly. What was even more incredible, then, was the scene on stage. You had the Bwubanza Ostriches owner rush out onto the stage, even though there was still plenty of time before the draft. The league, clearly, was excited enough about the signing. The owner yelled into the mic, 'WE FOUND A DIAMOND!', and then, Diamond Rhine came waltzing onto the stage like a show-business wrestler. Shirtless, the chest-beating, the fireworks and pyro- he went the whole 9 yards.

When he got to the end of the stage, the Ostriches owner gave him an Ostriches jersey, which he threw on. He then grabbed the mic, and yelled 'WE'LL BE BACK IN THIS CITY, IN 245 DAYS, FOR THE MOTHER-FUCKING SIMBA BOWL!' Not worried about the fine he'd have to pay from the Banijan Communications Commission for that, he then jumped off the stage and went to the Ostriches fan section. After signing a few autographs, he went outside to take care of his pet owlephant that he had now brought to Banija.

All that took about 15-20 minutes, and by the end of that, of course, the Dukuma Dragons were on the clock.

Klaus Levas: "We can report here, first- that the Dukuma Dragons pick is in!"

Allison Karbago: "They've gotta go QB, right? And.... Oh wait! No! We have a trade!"

Isaka Jawara: "That we do! A trade so early in the process. And.... It's another expansion team! The Night Elves! They actually had great luck with the draft formula, drafting third. But look- many expansion teams maybe thought they could pack it in for a season or two, knowing that expectations wouldn't be so high so early. But no longer. The Ostriches, just 30 minutes before the draft, released the biggest shot across the bow that anyone could. With Diamond Rhine as their Quarterback, they can absolutely at least compete for a playoff spot next season. And quite possibly a lot more- this is a two-time RFL MVP that we're talking about. Everyone else has to get more aggressive."

Klaus Levas: "Well, as we know, everybody thought that the Night Elves, at third, would draft Ailo Børve. And that would seem to be the obvious choice. An elite pass rusher, who's from Valanora, an anchor of the team both on and off the field. Knows Vanorian culture. But you're not trading up 2 spots, from 3rd to 1st, to draft a pass rusher that you can more than likely draft third overall. And as we remember- Mar Sara is in a tough situation. Professional gridiron isn't as popular there. Although the economics are there, and the college game has been successful, there's no history of successful pro gridiron in the country. So everything about the Night Elves is a huge risk.. And you'd think they'd want to make a bang."

Allison Karbago: "We've got confirmation on the trade. The Night Elves have done a first round swap with the Dragons(picks 1 and 3), as well as sending the Dragons a 2nd round pick this year, as well as next year's 3rd round pick, for the right to draft number one overall. Fair compensation, it seems, to move up two places. They've got to be going Quarterback. Now, the pick is in. I wonder-"

Karbago cuts herself off as GFLB Celebrity draft pick announcer, Ezekiel Bullo, who is a four-time IBC champion with the national basketball team, comes on stage to announce the draft pick. 'With the number one overall pick in the GFLB draft, and their first ever pick in the GFLB draft, the Night Elves select'- He then pulls out the card- 'CRAIG JUNIPER! Of the Commonwealth of Baker Park, Quarterback from the University of Loyola-Istria'. The Night Elves fans in the room burst into applause, as Isaka Jawara claps loudly at a fellow Loyola alum going #1 overall in this draft.

First Round GFLB Draft Results

1st Round Draft Selections
  1. Mar Sara Night Elves(Expansion Team)- Via the Dukuma Dragons. Loyola-Istria QB Craig Juniper(CBP)
  2. Jinja City Springboks. Kizza I College QB Zaminkosi Holomisa(BNJ)
  3. Dukuma Dragons- Via the Mar Sara Night Elves. NMU EDGE Ailo Børve(Valanora)
  4. Umbazi Metropolitan Sporting Club. Loyola-Istria LT Ogwang Owiti(BNJ)
  5. Lwanga Rhinos- Via the Mukeruzi Hyenas. Loyola-Istria WR Rachel Emerson(CDG)
  6. Igulu Bush Elephants. (Expansion Team). NMU RT Jonkong Touray(BNJ)
  7. Askatasuna Wildcats. University of Moravica QB Aphiwe Dandala(BNJ)
  8. Mukeruzi Hyenas (Expansion Team). KCU WR Kalu Alazar(BNJ)
  9. Kosactus Red Vultures(Expansion Team). Staramara Tech HB Lana Rhodes (CMT)
  10. Hoima Zebra. Felswyr State FS Oziama Mazzi (BNJ)
  11. Isipongo Wild Boars(Expansion Team). NMU FS Drew Lia(Chrom)
  12. Mynda Gorillas. NMU DT Urk McCauley(QUE)
  13. Igulu Bush Elephants(Expansion Team)- Via the Bwubanza Ostriches. Bunyoro State QB Lindisizwe Mthobeni(BNJ)
  14. St. Jakob Honey Badgers(Expansion Team). Moravica A&M QB Dumile Balfour(BNJ)
  15. Sisonke Leopards. Staramara Tech DE Mykhajlo Vyacheslavovych Kozlov (CMT)
  16. Busukuma Suns. Loyola-Istria MLB Marcus Sandoval(KHD)
  17. Rukunbi Wizards. NMU LG Alanso Kandeh(BNJ)
  18. Port Stovine Sea Turtles. (Expansion Team). NMU MLB Bango Uster(BNJ)
  19. Busembe Timberwolves. Loyola-Istria CB Emmitt Krell(Chrom)
  20. Aissa Crocodiles. NMU TE Zachary Lewis(KHD).
  21. Sisonke Leopards- Via Herzegovina City Cobras. Richardson WR Angela Sauber(RAN)
  22. Busukuma Athletic Club. University of Bunyoro LT Ocan Agot(BNJ)
  23. Bunyoro RSC. Islamic University of Busoga HB Thaddeus Ouko(BNJ)
  24. Istria Black Mambas. Ankole College for Creative Studies CB Ojwang Oneko(BNJ)

Trades
- Mar Sara Night Elves trade first round pick(#3), second round pick(#40), and next year 3rd round pick to the Dukuma Dragons for #1 overall pick.
- Lwanga Rhinos trade first round pick(#8) and third round pick(#56) to the Mukeruzi Hyenas for the #5 overall pick
- Sisonke Leopards trade second round pick(#28) and fourth round pick(#76) to the Herzegovina City Cobras for the Cobras first round pick(#21 overall) and the Cobras 6th round pick(#141 overall)
- Igulu Bush Elephants trade next year's first and second round pick to the Bwubanza Ostriches for the #13 overall pick.

GFLB Starting QB Tracker

Who is starting at the most important position in sports on each GFLB team? Let's let everyone know...

Dukuma Dragons.
VACANT

Jinja City Springboks
Zaminkosi Holomisa. 22 years old. Kizza I College(Banija, domestic) grad.

Umbazi Metropolitan Sporting Club.
Ebenezer Odondi. Banija. 25 years old. Lake Wakiso State(Banija, domestic) grad.

Askatasuna Wildcats.
Aphiwe Dandala. Banija. 22 years old. University of Moravica(Banija, domestic) grad.

Lwanga Rhinos.
Ebou Hairte. Banija. 24 years old. Loyola-Istria(Banija, NSCF) grad.

Hoima Zebra.
Jethro Adida. Banija. 27 years old. University of Moravica(Banija, domestic) grad.

Mynda Gorillas.
Ezra Odika. Banija. 29 years old. Heshima & Usian University(Banija, domestic) grad.

Sisonke Leopards.
Vallienté Wagner-Young. Ranoria. 23 years old. Northern Moravica(Banija, NSCF) grad.

Busukuma Suns.
Amazu Chibuzo. Banija. 31 years old. Loyola-Istria(Banija, NSCF) grad.

Rukunbi Wizards.
VACANT

Busembe Timberwolves
Arioch Ayange. Banija. 30 years old. Kizza I College(Banija, domestic) grad.

Aissa Crocodiles.
Ifeatu Chineze. Banija. 32 years old. Richardson University(Ranoria, NSCF) grad.

Herzegovina City Cobras
Omar Jassey. 37 years old. Loyola-Istria(Banija, NSCF) grad.

Busukuma Athletic Club
Ezekiel Bantoba. 31 years old. Richardson University(Ranoria, NSCF) grad.

Bunyoro RSC
Kajwang Awiti. Banija. 29 years old. Hangaza Tech(Banija, domestic) grad.

Istria Black Mambas
VACANT.

Mar Sara Night Elves- Expansion Team
Craig Juniper. Baker Park. 23 years old. Loyola-Istria(Banija, NSCF) grad.

St. Jakob Honey Badgers- Expansion Team
Dumile Balfour. Banija. 21 years old. Moravica A&M(Banija, domestic) grad.

Igulu Bush Elephants- Expansion Team
Lindisizwe Mthobeni. Banija. 22 years old. Bunyoro State(Banija, domestic) grad.

Port Stovine Sea Turtles- Expansion Team
VACANT

Mukeruzi Hyenas- Expansion Team
VACANT

Kosactus Red Vultures- Expansion Team
VACANT

Isipongo Wild Boars- Expansion Team
VACANT

Bwubanza Ostriches- Expansion Team'
Deondre 'Diamond' Rhine. Ranoria. Free Agent signing from the Dietrich Dynamos of the RFL. Cold Hill(Ranoria, NSCF) grad.

Non-Exhaustive, Unranked list of Top NSCF Prospects
NMU OLB Kendrick Diaz(DEL)
NMU RG Alifa Marenah(BNJ)
NMU CB Uzoma Obasi(BNJ)
Staramara Tech FS Siu Cantu (CMT)
Elephant Valley RG Dan Tucker (SNL)
Elephant Valley OLB Violet Daniels (SNL)
Elephant Valley ILB Karl Hutmacher (ZRH)
RUoN DE Ghatool Gujjar (Kkaputtstan)

Banijan Domestic First Round QB Prospects
Wandile Magona. North Kitara. Strength: Ability as a runner; mobility in the pocket. Weakness: Short-throw accuracy.

World Bowl News
- In his first and only start of the World Bowl, Amazu Chibuzo ensured that the offense did not miss a beat with Ifeatu Chineze getting the day off. He threw four touchdown passes, and Kuenda Sello ran in for two more, as Banija rolled to a 44-17 neutral site victory over Kavanis here at EVU Field in Elephant Valley. "Of course, we'll get back to Chineze for the knockouts- but like I said, we wanted to make sure everybody was healthy." He indeed did the trick, as the victory was enough to get the #1 seed on Banija's side of the bracket, and of course, nobody got hurt. This leaves Banija's scoring average for the group stage at a whopping 42.11 points per game, as they are the winners of 8 games in a row.
- Banija will play Kohnhead in the first round, at the same place where they ended their group stage- at EVU Field, in Elephant Valley. "It's always a positive thing when we do not have to travel." Said Head Coach Thomas Hall. "There are no easy matchups at this stage of the World Bowl, and I expect our game against Kohnhead to be a bare knuckled fight. They've got all sorts of gridiron talent, and I see how Kalu Alazar developed playing at KCU. We are going to have our hands full."
- Ifeatu Chineze, the starting QB, talked about the particular challenges that Kohnhead brings, and what he'll have to review on film in order to succeed in Banija's first knockout matchup. "Look, they've got a defensive maestro at head coach with Eric Dietrich, and I know they'll be looking forward to the challenge of trying to stop our offense. They do a number of things well on the defensive side of the football. They play with physicality across the defensive line, and they try to set the tone by controlling the line of scrimmage. That will be important for us- we must be able to establish ourselves early, and do what we want. I think we have the deepest WR group possibly in the competition, so if we can control the line of scrimmage, we can give these WRs time to get open and win this game."
Last edited by Banija on Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Kavanis
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kavanis » Fri May 20, 2022 8:24 am

Q1
0 – 7 Kuenda Sello 1 yard rush (Komani Achaje kick)
3 – 7 Dom Hughes 41 yard field goal
Q2
3 – 14 Chinweuba Jelan 10 yard pass from Amazu Chibuzo (Komani Achaje kick)
3 – 21 Chinweuba Jelan 4 yard pass from Amazu Chibuzo (Komani Achaje kick)
3 – 28 Lamin Kah 40 yard pass from Amazu Chibuzo (Komani Achaje kick)
Q3
3 – 31 Komani Achaje 34 yard field goal
Q4
10 – 31 Joe Buchanan 2 yard rush (Dom Hughes kick)
10 – 38 Kuenda Sello 20 yard rush (Komani Achaje kick)
17 – 38 Jamaad Baker 63 yard pass from Adam Powell (Dom Hughes kick)
17 – 44 Kuenda Sello 48 yard pass from Amazu Chibuzo (Komani Achaje kick failed)
“We have known freedom’s price. We have shown freedom’s power. We will see freedom’s victory.” – George W. Bush

Liz For Leader! #GirlBoss

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

NSFB: A Big Win Before The Agents Of Chaos

Postby TJUN-ia » Fri May 20, 2022 10:15 am

After a good win over Theofficaljapan that didn't see many points scored, the Jaguars of TJUN-ia entered the final day of this group stage with a simple mindest in mind: beat HUElavia and the group is secured. Simple as that as both of us have been the big boys of this group thus far and HUElavia confirmed their qualification to the next round last time out with revenge over Rocky Canada. Now, both teams knew that this game was the group decider and an opportunity to get a Top 4 seed here in Ranoria before the playoffs begin...and you knew that everyone was going to be up for this. It would be Gus McKerrin vs Raphael Schneiderman and Jake Griffin vs Maurício Pinto Machado one final time - with both this head-to-head series (1-1) and the momentum of victory all on the line.

Mount Reinhold Stadium in Eglise, Ranoria was packed in to witness this finale and you just knew and all the king's horses and all the king's men were certainly interested as to who would come out on top here. This battle would turn out to be... one-way traffic for us? What?! HUelavia were defensively stifled by our defence as Prince Brown and Pedro Marquinios dominated the HUElavian offence for most of this contest and it locked them down like never before. They were held to only FGs in this contest, with Lutz Schulz hitting two - that's all you need to know about how well Mohammad Al-Khalifa was rallying the troops. That gave Griffin the equivalent of aeons to go out there and score some points and that is exactly what he did, running in two TDs and throwing to both Davidsons for the other 2. Chi On-Ma only made 3/4 on PATs, but that wasn't going to have any effect at all on the final result. It ended 27-6, TJUN-ia moved to 8-1 and were the kings of this group after all. It wasn't convincing at times, but the job was certainly done.

Our 8-1 record was enough for the #2 seed here in Ranoria, only behind Ko-oren on PD, and that only goes to show that getting those wins, no matter how tough, was the most important thing. IN order to avoid a rematch. the seedings were flipped and so #2 TJUN_ia would now play a 5-4, #7 Kriegiersien at the Reinhild Aerodynamics Arena in North Ashialand. This team is the same Aturim Deephides Stonecutters side who made a little bit of noise in the NSCF just recently and if there is any nation we cannot sleep on, it would be Kriegiersien - the "Randomise All Attributes" button of the sporting world. You never know what you're gonna get from Kriegiersien and that is the most dangerous thing of all. We have to be ready for anything because Kriegiersien is a nation that can do anything...and we don't want to fall now before we even have the chance to face the Championship Rematch Victors. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group B)
MD1: @Rocky Canada (UR) W 27-16 (2nd/1-0)
MD2: vs Theofficaljapan (UR) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 29-19 (2nd/2-0)
MD3: @HUElavia (17) L 10-29 (2nd/2-1/+2PD)
-------------------------Break-------------------------
MD4: vs Rocky Canada (UR) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 36-31 (2nd/3-1)
MD5: @Theofficaljapan (UR) W 14-3 (2nd/4-1)
MD6: vs HUElavia (17) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 44-13 (1st/5-1/+49PD)
MD7: vs Rocky Canada (UR) - Royalty Field, Rouyoutte, Ranoria W 16-14 (1st/6-1/Playoffs Confirmed)
MD8: vs Theofficaljapan (UR) - Karmin-Falce Superdome, Ranoria City, Ranoria W 13-3 (1st/7-1)
MD9: vs HUElavia (17) - Mount Reinhold Stadium, Eglise, Ranoria W 27-6 (1st/8-1/+82PD/#2)
------------------------------
RO16: vs Kriegiersien (38/#7R/5-4) - Reinhild Aerodynamics Arena, North Ashialand
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

corpsguy725

Postby Drawkland » Fri May 20, 2022 12:50 pm

CORPSGUY725'S BLOG

World Bowl XLIV Playoff Preview
Final Third of Group Stage and also the worst thing I have ever seen in my ENTIRE LIFE

You know, I tried to play nice this year. I tried to be cautiously optimistic for a team going through a sort of mini-rebuild (as far as a national team is concerned). I knew this team had flaws, but ultimately wanted to just settle down and watch this team find out who they were. I knew this World Bowl wasn't going to end with a title win, or even a deep playoff run, but I expected some middling success that would show promise for the cycles to come.

Instead, I am now trapped in a fucking nightmare. Let's just get this over with.

I expected to lose a game here in this final trio of matches. After all, both our losses were on the road, so playing away from our home grounds meant we were much more vulnerable, even if it's technically a neutral venue. This team just didn't look solid enough to end with a sweep, and I happened to be right.

vs Kriegiersien in Ranoria City

The first game we played in Ranoria was a warm welcome. We were set to play in the Karmin-Falce Superdome, the shiniest and arguably best stadium in all of Ranoria. It's where their national team plays, it's where most if not all of their major games are held, and it was great to be able to play there for a group stage game (especially because it's not like we'll be playing there in the playoffs). The game itself was a refreshing return to dominant form by the Corps offense, though the defense was starting to look a little suspect in the second half.

Kriegiersien was held to just 10 points in the first half, as Dudagog got a score late in the second quarter to go along with the field goal they scored in the first. Meanwhile, the Corps offense went off, scoring 30 points before halftime to make the game a firm Drawkian lead. Dustin Beck scored twice, once in the air on a pass to Abram Navis on the first drive of the game, and once on a read-option goalline run. Jack Hoy would score a touchdown himself, and Ozzy Otten would make his first big play of the World Bowl season with a kickoff return TD directly following Kriegiersien's lone touchdown of the first half. We went 3 for 4 on two-pointers, and ultimately set the table for the second-stringers to get playing time for the entire second half.

The second half would yield two touchdowns for both our squads, as Kriegiersien's lone orc player would find paydirt again in the third quarter. Drawkland's two touchdowns (one a pass from Caspian Casson to Jonathan Kimbrough, one a rush from Matt Adams) sandwiched a failed field goal attempt. David Merit came on to try a field goal in the early fourth quarter, only for punter Jared Flan to mishandle the snap. Flan attempted to stand and pass, but he was hit hard by a dwarven defender and the ball popped loose. Kriegiersien's special teams unit would pounce and return the ball all the way to score. By then the game was thoroughly salted away, but it was an embarrassing gaffe. Thankfully, it did nothing to downplay our 44-24 win over Kriegiersien to clinch head-to-head advantage.

vs Gyatso-Kai in Pittsburgh

Then came our game against Gyatso-Kai. There are few excuses to give here, except that the defense was simply not prepared for this game in any fashion. We had previously done a pretty good job at stopping the Boarqupines, but as I'll elaborate later, it's hard to sweep a team. Sitting on neutral ground and fighting for the second playoff spot in the group, Gyatso-Kai found a way to win. Two touchdowns by Beck in the air (Hugo and Conrad) and another Hoy touchdown run was simply not going to cut it. Gyatso-Kai kept up with us blow-for-blow, scoring four touchdowns compared to our three after three quarters of play.

The score sat at 22-28 at the start of the fourth (we went 2/3 on 2PC and Gyatso-Kai simply made their PATs). Our first drive of the final stanza would get to the red zone, but a brutal sack on Beck would force us to take a field goal and pray our defense could stop them. Instead, they allowed another field goal and put us back in the six-point deficit. The Grid Corps would once again drive to the red zone, down by six with five minutes to go. Three times, Gyatso-Kai stopped us at the goalline, forcing a fourth down conversion that could mean the game. Jack Hoy got the ball, but he came about a yard short from paydirt. Gyatso-Kai would get the ball on the downs turnover and turn it into another three points on the other end to ice the game, 25-34.

At this point our situation was pretty dire. We needed a win on the final matchday, as we were tied at 5-3 with Gyatso-Kai in the group table. Our chances of advancement were secure, as we had the tiebreaker against Kriegiersien and Gyatso-Kai both, but a loss coupled with a Boarqupine win could've sent us to the lower half of the bracket. If only we knew at the time ...

vs StrayaRoos in Richardson

Anyway, we had our final group stage game against StrayaRoos, and it was a statement win. It meant to say "look, despite our losses, we can still beat the piss out of a team. Look out, playoff nations!" The defense allowed zero points in the first three quarters, and StrayaRoos wouldn't find the end zone until garbage time where they put up 10 sad points to complete their 2-7 season. On top of their insane eight sacks on Straya QB Aaron Brady, they also contributed eight points on the board. Paul Gore got a beautiful interception off of Brady (one of three for the Corps D on the game), which he returned for six. College phenom Prokopios Vortre-whatever you know who I'm talking about, received considerable playing time in the second half. The do-it-all defender destroyed Brady on an end zone sack for a safety at the start of the fourth quarter.

Even still, the real star of the show was the Grid Corps offense, which hung 50 points on the Koala defense. Amazingly enough, the Grid Corps did not attempt a single field goal (besides a few PATs in the second half) for the entirety of the game. The StrayaRoos defense was clearly gassed after the slog of a group stage, and they didn't have the depth to keep up. Thus, the Corps was going for it on fourth down pretty much every drive. It didn't pan out every time, but we did well enough to score seven offensive touchdowns.

Dustin Beck scored all 4 touchdowns in the first half, with three in the air (Morris, Hoy, Kimbrough in that order), and another classic Beck run. The running backs took over in the second half to ice the game, with Hoy, Adams, and Banks all getting paydirt with their legs. Ultimately, it was a win in all phases of the game, though Merit didn't have to attempt a field goal all game. It was a great end to the group stage, and the heavily pro-Drawkian crowd in Dietrich Stadium was very happy to be there.

At least the two games we won were huge wins in our favor to help build up our confidence for the playoffs. Unfortunately, our chances of advancing in the playoffs sit somewhere between zero and negative four billion, so it turns out all we did this year was all for nothing. Tough scene!

Playoff Preview

The group stage was what I expected from this team. Playing the same team three times in one season is pretty challenging. In the sport of gridiron football, you can almost never expect to sweep a team you play three times. By that final meeting, there's just too much film. There's too many variables, too many chances for the team to figure you out and get one over you, especially in the space of only a couple months. Ultimately, I expected us to go 2-1 against each of our groupmates. I really, really hoped this wouldn't be the case, but like I said, this is a young team that's now ranked just 8th in the multiverse.

You can't win them all.

Of course, with such a mediocre group stage, I knew we'd be looking at a tough playoff matchup. Still, we had the third-best point differential in the entire tournament (and best in the Ranorian half), with a solid +148 due to our two earlier losses being by one-score margins and our wins being huge blowouts. Lots of teams didn't do well in this group stage, only two teams on our side of the bracket even got eight wins. So really, our expectation should be to play a decently ranked Pot 2 team who came close to the top spot in their group but couldn't quite seal the deal.

You know who we've gotten instead? FUCKING RANORIA.

I have no other words at this point. The fact that we have to have a rematch of the championship last season in the Round of 16 is absolutely goddamn preposterous. This is the hosting nation, no less! It literally would've been better for us to drop our last group stage match to StrayaRoos. I'm not kidding! A little sandbagging would've hurt our seed, but instead of Ranoria we'd be looking at a first-round date with 20th-ranked New Gesem. No offense intended to the Pilgrims, but I would be much more confident in our ability to beat the piss out of them and go to the quarterfinals.

You're probably thinking "hey, Ranoria went 6-3 like us, don't we have a chance?" WRONG! Ranoria is going to destroy us in every facet of the game. Did you not watch the World Bowl XLIII championship last cycle? Sure, we've ditched that fraud at head coach, but the team and scheme is still very similar. This is a team playing on home soil for a chance at the World Bowl's first-ever threepeat. Also, they're ranked #1 and we're one of their recently-minted rivals. This is the exact kind of game that a team uses as momentum to begin a deep playoff run. If, sorry, WHEN Ranoria wins this Round of 16 game, they're going to get to play either TJUN-ia or Kriegiersien in the quarterfinals, which is an easily soft-enough opponent to leapfrog into a coveted semifinal berth.

The Grid Corps is utterly fucked. There's no other way to say it. This is a nightmare draw for the first round of the playoffs, and a real pisser ending for what was supposed to be a bounceback season to put us back into World Bowl title contention.

The Rest of the Playoffs

Even if we somehow pull this upset, which would be hilarious and also terrifying, our prospects aren't great. Our quarterfinal opponent would either be TJUN-ia or Kriegiersien. As funny as it would be if Kriegiersien somehow pulled the upset, I don't see that happening. If it does happen, that would mean the dangerous Kriegiersien squad could be on a tear. Dudagog has been coming into his own as a beastly player, and I'd fear for our defense trying to stop him if his squad had momentum.

Let's assume the world doesn't turn upside down (sort of), and TJUN-ia does meet us in the quarterfinals. Do you really expect us to beat TJUN-ia again? Every single time we've played them over the last few cycles, I've been saying the other shoe is going to drop. In both types of football, we played them in high-leverage playoff matches and came away victorious ... but that can't last forever. Any one of those wins could have easily become losses, and it's only a matter of time until the Jags get their revenge. Shutting down a team that did the impossible and beat Ranoria in the first round? That seems like perfect justice for TJUN-ia if such a situation arose.

Meanwhile, assuming we do the impossible twice in a row and go to the semifinals, we're more than likely going to have to play Ko-oren. Do you know what our record in the playoffs against Ko-oren is? Horrible. We've quite literally never beat them in a late World Bowl playoff game, and with their paper-thin playoff draw, they definitely have their sights set on getting one title closer to Allamunnic States. If we somehow beat Ranoria, we'd be one hell of an easier opponent than the Krauts to play for the rights to contend for the championship.

I'm not even going to talk about the other side of the bracket. That side such a ridiculously stacked bunch of contenders, I have zero chance of guessing who will come out of there alive. Not only that, but our chances of actually playing any of those teams, whether in the championship or 3PPO, is so astronomically small that it seems like a waste of my energy to even think about it.

It was a fun group stage, Grid Corps, but it turns out that this cycle is just the second chapter in a sad descent to mediocrity in the World Bowl. Let's hope the blowout in New Quebec isn't that horrible to watch. corpsguy725 out
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

-Anthor-
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Anthor- » Sat May 21, 2022 12:05 pm

Wallace Confirmed to Start in Playoffs, V's squeeze into advancement
Despite being pulled in the first half of their last game due to injury, Wallace has been confirmed as the Ro16 Starter
SHARE THIS:
Rosalie Towner (@RosyTownie)(TH)
Beltine 23, 607AE 2:20 PM | Vaumort, Anthor

Vaumort, Anthor(Herald) — Regular play has concluded in the 44th World Bowl, and by the miracle of the Gods themselves, and in something that will be talked about for quite some time I'm sure, Joel Turnbull has managed to guide this team after a two edition absence into just their second ever playoff appearance in the biggest international gridiron stage. Make no mistake, it didn't come easy; they were tied middle of the road for offensive and defensive production, and yet somehow, have tied the world juggernaut and won the Group on pure head-to-head matchups, having managed to trimuph over Ranoria during two of the three matchups this tournament, and putting together a winning record at 6-3.

To be clear, I don't think when we started this campaign, and Nicholas Harriot led the V's back onto the field, and then proceeded to lose that opening game 34-20 against the South Americanastani Bear's, I know many of us here at the Herald thought that would set the tone - it set the tone, for sure, just not the one I think any of us predicted. That game was marred by sloppy defense which compromised the team's ability to set, and capitalize, on field position, and frankly just the offense not executing the way it needed to. The second match, we knew it would be tough going up against the oft-champion Krauts, and sure enough Harriot went on to throw three interceptions in that game as the Krauts blew the V's out of the water at 45-22; but the V's didn't despair, Turnbull said that despite the lopsided score there were things he liked, and some tweaks that needed to be implemented but he was confident that despite the 2-loss start, the V's could turn things around and still compete as they headed into the third game day - he just re-iterated the basics that any Celridge fan knows; pound the ball on the ground, stop your opponent from doing the same, and when they drop their secondary, exploit it. This has been Turnbull's mantra since the V's and he debuted a decade ago, and it has largely been successful, in an era of gridiron where the reliance on predominantly air-raid or deep arm offenses reign kings, the V's were able to find their own margin of success with this. Then the V's played Lisander in their third field, and for the first time in four editions, the V's offense never scored a touchdown in regular play. Florence Hyam was the sole producer of points, managing to nail the target twice in the first half and once in the 4th quarter, to seal their appearance in OT where a pick six from George Lawrence netted them their first win. The defense performed outstanding, locking down Lisander to just those meager 9 points and ensuring the hold throughout the extra quarter of play, but again, the offense was no where to be found. So Turnbull made the decision, eyeing their next game, that no one expected, and benched Nicholas Harriot, in favor of Dirk Wallace.

While I'm sure every bar, sports dive, and arena exploded with that piece of news, for our viewers and readers who aren't Anthoran or aren't fans of the AGL, Nick Harriot has been the hottest quarterback since he broke into the league a decade ago - and he did so, by being named the starter of the V's in their nascent debut, where he helped them appear in the first stage of playoffs, all while only being 19 and an senior in high school. While the V's left that tournament without much hardware, he did not; he forwent college, and was drafted first overall months later by the Jedborough Jets, a storied team that thirty years ago was the battlemaster of the gridiron, but had failed to compete since. Harriot immediately changed that, and has led the Jets to three championships in the decade since, constantly leading the league in nearly every metric of offensive measurement. Enter Dirk Wallace, four seasons ago; a Bowerstone product, where he set school records and won three bowls, and he's drafted by the Jet's division rivals, the Bulls; these two teams faced each other in the AGL title game this year, and Wallace and Harriot have made round after round on media about their dislike for each other. So when Wallace comes on as the V's starter, their first new one in a decade, and manages to guide them, and instantly catch fire as he redeems the Day 1 loss against the Bears by trumping them 33-20 this time around, a score line carried by his three touchdown performance; then he repeated it by stunning the group and trumping the previously lossless Krauts 30-27, and Wallace showed up again in the next game by drowning Lisander 27-13 where he put up 400 yards through the air for the second time this tournament. The V's would then break their three game winning streak in another low scoring affair to Lisander, whose remarkable defense proved unsurmountable this time, but the pivotal game would be the next one; a declining Krauts who had come into the Bowl on an fiery start, but began to falter after that first loss to the V's, and now would face them again, this time to either retain the lead in the group or lose it; and somehow, on the back of a Wallace-Solomon OT touchdown, the V's manage to advance ahead of the Krauts - make no mistake, the game was not Wallace's finest having thrown two interceptions, but the defense stepped up managing to lock down the Kraut's elite Garrett Richardson and answering with three interceptions of their own.

This rough and tumble style of play has somehow allowed the V's to advance into the playoffs, set to face down the fifth-seeded New Gesem at Dietriech Stadium, the same stadium where just two weeks prior, they managed to halt the Krauts and take the group lead; perhaps this field can also see another near-impossible feat, and the V's can overcome New Gesem and advance into the second round. Dirk Wallace left last week in the first quarter off of an apparent upper body injury, but the team has already confirmed that he will start the New Gesem game; James Priestly will also overtake Gareth Lamont for the starting tight end position, and Lewis Davis (HB1), Logan Pickering (DE4), and Finley Morey (ILB1) all remain out due to a myriad of injuries. Despite this, I think the V's will be in excellent position to continue deeper in the tournament - but it will take a combined effort on both sides of the field; the defense needs to continue to lock down and prevent scores, and the offense needs to produce - maybe this new wildcat in Wallace can make things happen?

Rosalie Towner contributed to this article.

MORE IN ATLANTIAN OCEANIA
  • Large blizzard set to impact northern provinces this weekend, alerts and more here [ 348194 ]
  • WC91Q: Whose hot, whose not [ 65013 ]
  • Piracy in Parpani seas? [ 846183 ]
MORE FROM TH
  • Newshire MP introduces reforms to CIS committee [ 54136 ]
  • AAF to conduct aerial training in Duskfields this month [ 911546 ]
  • Man in Dudberry downs electrical pole with car in drunken craze, sets historic village center ablaze [ 115987 ]
    Comments [ 415643 ]
    © Tharsius Herald Ltd 2014

415643 comments
FAVORITE THIS DISCUSSION

Kingdom of Anthor
Capital: Vaumort
Monarch: King Michael III of House Lenova
Prime Minister: Rachael Monday
Info: Anthoran News Network, Anthoran Sports Broadcasting Network
NSS International Ratings:
WCOH 35 Champions | WJHC 15 Champions

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat May 21, 2022 12:43 pm

The next season of the RFL will take place, ICly, in 2031. The most recent season was in 2030

North Ashialand, Ranoria
RFL Draft Night, First Round, hosted by Vick Hamilton, Stacy Klein, and Jerry Maginot

1:  Apollotown Sabers
2: Halifax Blizzard
3: Port Kruger Phalanx
4: Berlin Snow Bears
5: Brittany Walruses
6: Mariana Tigers
7: Fermete Marauders
8: Memphis Steamers
9: New Quebec Quebecois
10: North Ashialand Dreadnaughts
11: Sierraville Farmers
12: Lafayette Crusaders
13: Fiston Redwolves
14: Eglise Mountaineers
15: Richardson Fenrirs
16: Vancouver Yeti
17: Herot Paladins
18: Calgary Stampede
19: Victorsville Hurricane
20: Menagerie Pioneers
21: Madison Gladiators
22: Ranoria City Silver
23: Munich Thrashers
24: Edmunton Eagles
25: Balafre Bootleggers
26: Dietrich Dynamos
27: Nashville Sabercats
28: Rouyoutte Colts
29: Highport Hawks
30: Pittsburgh Ironmen
31: Indianapolis Hogs
32: Yellowknife Wraiths
33: Ranoria City Falcons

Note that the 34th team, the Lorcondan National Team, do not participate in the draft. Their national team fields the best players from across Lorconda and competed domestically in the RFL.

"The Sabers are officially on the clock," Vick Hamilton couldn't stop spinning his pen in hand, jittery with anticipation, "I have to think that we're gonna see someone make a move up into the top three of this class - there's just so little drop off between those prospects that someone has to want a piece. Abram Fairbanks, Gideon Kearse, Victoria Mio. Any one of them could anchor a defense."

"Not sure Vick," the older Jerry shook his head, "They're certainly the best in this class, but there's a ton of value later in this round, and you can't forget about the quarterbacks. Like it or not, the days of this league being full of smashmouth football are over. It's been more than five years since we've had a non-quarterback win the MVP. Thorn Davis, Deondre Rhine twice, Bo Callahan, John Garrett. Our foray into the international scene has made one thing clear - if you want to win games, throwing the ball is the way to do it."

"Shocked to he-"

"The pick is in!" Vick Hamilton cut her off, "Just forty seconds into the start of the draft, the Apollotown Sabers have made their selection. Talk about a way to tell a kid you wanted them and them only, they didn't even give the phones time to ring. They have to be going Fairbanks here."

"I could see Kearse, but Fairbanks is a bit older, a bit more polished, and certainly has more hardware," Stacy recovered quickly from the interruption. "After winning the Rebel's Cannon Bowl over Kearse's Governors, those two may be as close as they can be, but there is still a clear gap. And here it is..."

"And with the first pick of the 2031 RFL Draft, the Apollotown Sabers select..." the commissioner unfolded the card to himself with a smile, "Abram Fairbanks! Defensive end, University of Loyola-Istria!"

You can imagine there were a lot of Sabers fans in attendance. You can also imagine that they went absolutely nuts with that selection. Hats flew, strangers embraced - some were in tears. Cameras panned to show Fairbanks in his Ranoria City apartment, embracing his mother on the big screen, with two smaller screens on his flanks showing some highlights of his legendary collegiate career. He and Gideon Kearse, of course, couldn't attend the draft with the World Bowl still going on, and his twin pass rusher in Kearse scooped him up in a bear hug the second he saw an opportunity to join in on the celebration

"Was! There! Ever! Any! Doubt!" Jerry smacked his hand on the desk to emphasize each word. "Wow! I know it was the most "duh" pick of the century, but wow! You know what, I don't care how much this team disappointed last season - that is a guy that's gonna change the course of this franchise! You're gonna have the fastest defensive end in RFL combine history coming off one edge, a guy in Jarrett Hauptmann who's got championship pedigree and more than 80 career sacks on the other, and Leon Elliot in the secondary? The pieces are there for this to be a successful defense in 2031."

"Some pundits have pointed out that rookie pass rushers often struggle in their first year," Stacy laughed as she saw the two on the screen, "But those two sure haven't been slacking in this World Bowl. They both cleared 6 sacks in just 9 games, I venture to say they'll be just fine against domestic competition."

"Aaaand we have our first trade of the night!" Vick pointed his finger in the air as the clock shifted from the Halifax Blizzard to the Fermete Marauders. They've got to be going after Mio or Kearse, this coach has always prioritized defensive football."

"Aggressive move from them, no way they're going to be that predictable with it." Stacy countered, "They've already got 2029 Defensive Rookie of the Year Park Mi-Hyeon as the pillar of that unit but she's been unable to lead them to the playoffs in her first two seasons. I think they could be going quarterback - Tony Maulet has not impressed so far, and with Melvin Strong retiring they just don't have much on that side of the ball."

"It's Mio." Jerry yawned, "I called this weeks ago. That staff saw what Chromatik defenders can do with Mi-Hyeon and they're gonna go with a known quantity. You get the sense of these things when you get older, kids."

"And with the number two overall pick of the 2031 RFL Draft, the Fermete Marauders select..."

This time the commissioner's eyebrows raised a bit, "Victoria Mio! Cornerback, Cold Hill University!" Again, unbridled celebration. Hell, this may have been even more wild as the commentary team was drowned out by the Fermete delegation. Of course, Port Kruger Phalanx fans' lamentations at #3 were added to the discord of the arena.

Abram Fairbanks may have been a known quantity, but no one in Ranoria didn't know the name Victoria Mio, the beating heart (albeit very fast beating heart) of the indisputably best defenses the Cold Hill Buffalo have ever fielded. To say she was a fan favorite would be criminally underselling her.

"Told ya," said Jerry nonchalantly. "Easy pick. They needed a more vocal leader in that locker room, too. Mi-Hyeon is always going to be the alpha in there, but she doesn't have that moxie, that swagger, hell you could even call it "diva" demeanor. Mio's as close as any Chromatik player will come to that. You want to know why Cold Hill went 13-0 in NSCF 25 with Aurel Strathos at quarterback? Tune into the Iron Legion on Sunday and you'll find out pretty damn quick."

Stacy and Vick acknowledged his point - Aurel Strathos may have been sub par at Cold Hill, but at the pro level he'd been atrocious. Over two seasons, he was 606 for 1205 with 6,308 yards and 24 touchdowns against 49 interceptions. And to think, there were pundits who'd had him projected over Sarai Gwenderyn. "Golden Boy" had gone from a talented and passionate if streaky prospect to the laughingstock of the league, and his Port Kruger Phalanx were up next.

"Hell of a pick for that squad." Stacy added, "They're going to be rock solid on defense this season, I really can't imagine anyone's gonna want to throw the ball Mio's way in the foreseeable future."

"And speak of the devil, they've already made their pick, too." Vick laughed, "Every year someone has to really get the short end of the stick. Is it Gideon Kearse?"

The commissioner confirmed his suspicions in short order.

"You know, the Phalanx have a lot of work to do," Stacy cautioned, "and a lot of holes to fill. Why not trade down? Sure, you get your highlight reel pick, but you aren't going to be able to do much with him."

"Sometimes you've just got to grab the best player on the board," Vick shrugged, "Kearse is a generational talent, no doubt about it. He can't do it on his own, but he is a building block. And with those three out of the way...where do we think Kualu Luani ends up?"

A sharp intake of breath - now that was a question. He'd come into the season as the consensus and now he had been projected anywhere from #3 to the third round.

"Gotta be early. Some teams will have him rated above others, but someone will have him as a first rounder and take a swing. Struggles or not, the guy was an NSCF Most Outstanding Player and champion at Raynor - there's no way he slips past the top 10."
4: Berlin Snow Bears- DT Konstantin Vollmacht, Felswyr State University
5: Brittany Walruses- QB Leonardo Torrent, Brattleboro Tech
6: Mariana Tigers- G Hector Storolfsson, Vricksinburg State University
7: Halifax Blizzard- HB Artemis Esther, Matthensville Polytechnic
8: Memphis Steamers- LT Travis Handon, Richardson University
9: New Quebec Quebecois- QB Kiara Hamilton, Ranoria State University
10: NA Dreadnaughts- HB Elliot Roach, Richardson University
11: Sierraville Farmers- SS Sage Sterling, Felswyr State University
12: Lafayette Crusaders- HB Duke Beckett, Raynor University

Vick shrugs, "I really thought Sierraville or North Ashialand would've taken a shot at Luani. They've both lost their franchise quarterbacks in recent years with Paul Verona or the great Bo Callahan retiring. They've been spinning their wheels since, why not try and grab a guy who you've seen play on one of the biggest stages in the sport?"

"I agree," Jerry sighed, "Roach is a hell of a player, they've got a workhorse there. But hell, in Sierravile's defense, that may have been the safest pick in the draft. Bricks Sterling draws a lot of comps to Judas Wolfson - just without all the flags. Kid's got his priorities in order, he's gonna do great things."

"The Redwolves are really making us sweat it out," Stacy said, "Missed the playoffs for the first time in five years last season."

"The injury bug always gets someone, Vick agreed, "I could see them going offensive line. They're strong there, but throwing Brian Shipman in at guard could bolster that unit to the top tier. Or maybe linebacker - Alder King wouldn't be a reach at this point in the draft. I mean you've gotta think, the only star that stayed healthy for these guys was Isaak Rodriguez at wideout. ....and the pick is in."

"Just seconds on the clock," Stacy laughed, "I was getting anxious."

"And with the thirteenth pick of the 2031 RFL Draft, the Fiston Redwolves select..."

the feed cut off for just an instant, "quarterba-" it cut again.

By the time it came back, all we heard was Jerry's voice: "-uck is-" and this time is was the sound of Redwolves fans losing their minds that drowned out the broadcast, tossing tomatoes, balloons, and other festive costume items at the stage.

Vick yelled into the mic over the commotion, "I heard quarterback? Is that right? Did they take Kualu Luani? They look upset, what's goin...no. They didn't. There has to be some sort of mistake."

"Ugh, even the graphics team knows it," echoed Stacy, "There's no way they expected him to get drafted this early with that kind of a profile, if you can even call it that."

"Who is this guy? I've never even heard of him!" Jerry exclaimed. "Why would they take a guy from Cavsar.

"Wow there fella!" Vick cautioned, "This isn't just "a guy" from Cavsar, this is the Hero of Cavsar! This is Lane freaking Proudfoot!"

Vick Hamilton couldn't help but grin, "Oh man, that's gotta be the surprise of the night. Seriously? I had this guy in the second round, what a move. Ironic, we'll be playing Drawkland in 6 days, and now we have the first Drawkian to ever play in the Ranorian Football League taken in this draft."

Stacy pinched the bridge of her nose, "Look, it's a good move. If it works out, Fiston is right back in playoff contention. But why did it have to be a Cavsar player to make it in?"

"The Hero of Cavsar," Vick Hamilton corrected.

1: Apollotown Sabers- DE Abram Fairbanks
2: Fermete Marauders- CB Victoria Mio, Cold Hill University
3: Port Kruger Phalanx- DE Gideon Kearse, Richardson University
4: Berlin Snow Bears- DT Konstantin Vollmacht, Felswyr State University
5: Brittany Walruses- QB Leonardo Torrent, Brattleboro Tech
6: Mariana Tigers- G Hector Storolfsson, Vricksinburg State University
7: Halifax Blizzard- HB Artemis Esther, Matthensville Polytechnic
8: Memphis Steamers- LT Travis Handon, Richardson University
9: New Quebec Quebecois- QB Kiara Hamilton, Ranoria State University
10: NA Dreadnaughts- HB Elliot Roach, Elephant Valley University
11: Sierraville Farmers- SS Sage Sterling, Felswyr State University
12: Lafayette Crusaders- HB Duke Beckett, Raynor University
13: Fiston Redwolves- QB Lane Proudfoot, Cavsar University
14: Eglise Mountaineers- WR Clint Bohannon, Eglise A&M
15: Richardson Fenrirs- OLB Candace Ferrett, Cold Hill University
16: Vancouver Yeti- G Brian Shipman, Richardson University
17: Herot Paladins- QB Kualu Luani, Raynor University
18: Calgary Stampede- RB Trent Hoffman, U of Rouyoutte
19: Victorsville Hurricane- DE Clay Hamilton, Vricksinburg State
20: Menagerie Pioneers- DT Connor Sherman, Academy of Herot
21: Madison Gladiators- DT Bob Johnson, Eglise A&M
22: Ranoria City Silver- HB Killian Price, Vricksinburg State
23: Munich Thrashers- C Jakob Engelhaft, Northern Moravica
24: Edmunton Eagles- TE Killian London, U of Dietrich
25: Balafre Bootleggers- C Blake Haynes, High Academy of Herot
26: Dietrich Dynamos- ILB Juno Gretchen, Ashialand Christian University
27: Nashville Sabercats- CB Sterling Dillon, Ranoria State University
28: Rouyoutte Colts- LB Alder King, Brattleboro Tech
29: Highport Hawks- DE Robert Lawrence, Kohnhead City University
30: Pittsburgh Ironmen- FS Johnny Whitaker, U of Dietrich
31: Indianapolis Hogs- RT Kenny Hamm, Matthensville Poly
32: Yellowknife Wraiths- DE Berlin Savage, U of Herot
33: Ranoria City Falcons- C Buzz Kendricks, Rouyoutte

Round 2, pick 33: Ranoria City Falcons - OT Zacharias Jouronnais, Staramara Tech University
Round 2, Pick 4: Berlin Snow Bears - HB Gauge Lawson, Elephant Valley University
Round 4, Pick 4: Berlin Snow Bears - OLB ROLB Keeyan Brandt, Ratzupalfu University of Nature
Round 4, Pick 14: Eglise Mountaineers - TE, TE Calista Weathers, Staramara Tech University
Round 6, Pick 28 Dietrich Dynamos (From Rouyoutte Colts) - WR Elon Forbes, Richardson
Round 7, Pick 30: Pittsburgh Ironmen - OT Steven Rand, Felswyr State University
UDFA: Eglise Mountaineers - OLB Josephine Hereault, Staramara Tech University
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat May 21, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Sat May 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Round of 16 Cutoff for this half! don't slip up now!

Round of 16 Results (scorinated by SNL)

#1 Ko-oren 33–7 #8 HUElavia
@Adelphia Coliseum, Nashville, Ranoria (67,700)

#4 Anthor 27–17 #5 New Gesem
@Dietrich Stadium, Richardson, Ranoria (94,750)

#2 TJUN-ia 23–27 #7 Kriegiersien
@Reinhild Aerodynamics Arena, North Ashialand, Ranoria (70,400)

#3 Drawkland 9–6 #6 Ranoria
@CannabisCorp Field of Green, New Quebec, Ranoria (68,420)

Quarterfinal Matchups (scorinated by SNL)

#1 Ko-oren - #4 Anthor
@Salvation Arena, Herot, Ranoria (69,757)

#7 Kriegiersien - #3 Drawkland
@Adelhard Dynamics Dome, Pittsburgh, Ranoria (87,300)
Last edited by South Newlandia on Sat May 21, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Sat May 21, 2022 1:15 pm

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
High Schools in Chromatik High School Gridiron - Origins Behind the Unique Mascots, Part 8

Capital District West
Chromia Conference
Central Heights High School Defenders - It may be the least glamorous of the warrior-sounding nicknames, but a defender is a solid name, isn't it? No special story here - the school just wanted something that sounded cool enough without detracting away from the player base, and "The Defenders" has a ring to it that can't be denied. It's helped that the sports teams to come from the school have been very good on the defensive side of the ball, too.
Checkers High School Chessmen - Chromatika loves irony. To have a Checkers High School call themselves the Chessmen was something that this school just could not pass up. Of course, "Checkers" was a derogatory moniker for the Chromatik Party, mostly to make fun of the black and white color scheme. There were a few other names that were suggested, but chess is a pretty popular game, and depending on what the school feels like they can field any number of Chess pieces on the field. It works.
North Chromia High School Hotshots - A "Hotshot" is someone who thinks too high of themselves, or thinks that they perform at a level that they do not. There's a bit of reverse psychology going on here, as the Hotshots hope to be more than just that. Of course, it's better to talk any smack than not, so the Hotshots have been very good at at least smack-talking.
South Chromia High School Terror - The Terror is a Chromatik urban legend dating back centuries, even during the days of the Chromatik Party. A being of pure evil that exist in the darkness of the Chromatik night, the Terror feasts on people's hopes and dreams, working to bring nightmares to the forefront instead. Perhaps it's inviting trouble, but South Chromia has taken that fateful name.
The Chromatik Institute Dread - The Chromatik Institute's hopes is to bring some dread to bear when people think about them. There's something menacing about such a name, one has to admit. It's too bad that none of their sports teams have earned the feeling to come with the name, yet.

Black & White Conference
Franscesca Larriet-Cortes High School Martyrs - Franscesca Larriet-Cortes, the first Manager of the Chromatik football team, is the most notable martyr during the days of the Rainbow Revolution, her execution by lethal injection shown on national television with everyone being forced to watch. When this high school was founded, there was absolutely no discussion that martyrs would be the mascot. The on-field representation changes every year, an in-school contest held to decide the next year's every spring. We've seen an angel costume with a halo, a weeping nun, a ghost-like costume that was like an assassin, etc. However, the point is that FLC and those who also died during the revolution will never be forgotten.
Facsimile High School Enigma - An enigma is something that isn't easy to figure out. A facsimile is an exact copy. So, this can be interpreted as "Copy High School Uncopiable", which is an oxymoron by itself. Facsimile High School was called that because it was the other high school going for the name of Franscesca Larriet-Cortes High School before FLCHS won the naming rights. Instead of going for anything else, they just decided to play into the fact that they lost the naming rights. They picked Enigma to be a bit ambiguous, and it's worked out. The mascot is a purple costume that makes the wearer look both cute yet uninviting.
Dre'a Elite Academy Darkness - Another interesting concept to try to grasp as a mascot, Darkness was picked because of how encroaching and sinister it can be. There is no on-field representation for this squad. Instead, the Athletic Director has obtained permissions for every stadium that the Darkness play at to turn out all the lights for thirty seconds before every match. It can be a little unnerving.
Kynxe High School Monsoon - Chromatika isn't a country that gets a lot of monsoons, so when they happen, they're a big deal. Two of Chromatika's five biggest floods have been flash flooding occurring during monsoons when they weren't expected. As a country that really respects the weather, the Monsoon is an aptly named mascot. Instead of an on-field mascot, they have a number of people of different faiths come onto the field and pray that there won't be an unexpected monsoon before every match. Some say it's superstition, but even if that's so, the concept is nice, isn't it?
Nonian Central High School Naysayers - During the days of the Chromatik Party, a naysayer was someone who used the Dark Web to speak out against the Chromatik Party while trying to make sure they won't get caught. Even now, that same corner gets used as a place where people can speak their mind, and the Chromatik government has made a call to let those places continue to exist, as long as everyone understand that they will be read. The on-field mascot is a figure dressed head to toe in black in coding gear.
World Bowl 44 - Matchday 8
Team            1Q  2Q  3Q  4Q  |  Tot  
Mon Sold 7 10 3 0 | 20
Chromatika 7 14 10 0 | 31
1Q
04:01 MSD TD - Albino Coste 22 yard run (Jesse Gouveia Kick)
01:41 CMT TD - Alessandra Mio 41 yard pass from Sarai Gwenderyn (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

2Q
10:02 MSD TD - Serafim Bohn 12 yard pass from Jost Fried (Jesse Gouveia Kick)
08:22 MSD FG - Jesse Gouveia 33 yard Field Goal
06:04 CMT TD - Lana Rhodes 20 yard run (Dwayne Markseon Kick)
01:41 CMT TD - Alessandra Mio 58 yard pass from Sarai Gwenderyn (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

3Q
11:58 MSD FG - Jesse Gouveia 40 yard Field Goal
07:21 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 41 yard Field Goal
02:41 CMT TD - Alessandra Mio 51 yard pass from Sarai Gwenderyn (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

4Q
None.

Venue: EsportivArena, Newport, South Newlandia
Sarai Gwenderyn and Alessandra Mio hooked up for three scores, Lana Rhodes added another on the ground, and Chromatika ran away from the Strikers in the second half to secure the group.

Chromatika will now rest its starters in the final game against United Adaikes while preparing for the playoffs.
World Bowl 44 - Matchday 9
Team            1Q  2Q  3Q  4Q  |  Tot  
Chromatika 9 10 3 7 | 29
United Adaikes 7 3 0 0 | 10
1Q
12:01 UAD TD - Irvine Royle 22 yard run (Isaiah Rigby Kick)
09:48 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 51 yard Field Goal
05:28 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 48 yard Field Goal
02:11 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 44 yard Field Goal

2Q
10:44 UAD FG - Isaiah Rigby 32 yard Field Goal
08:41 CMT TD - Kaytlyne Sellers 21 yard run (Dwayne Markseon Kick)
05:11 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 54 yard Field Goal

3Q
05:42 CMT FG - Dwayne Markseon 50 yard Field Goal

4Q
06:31 CMT TD - Ulrich Jefferson 15 yard pass from Jill Kieran (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

Venue: Stadium of Friendship, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia
In a game where most of the Chromatik starters sat out, Jill Kieran, Kaytlyne Sellers, Ulrich Jefferson, and the like made the most of their rare start, defeating United Adaikes comfortably and giving Chromatika the 8-1 record.

Unfortunately, point differentials will mean that Chromatika will face the Saint Kanye Surge in the first round of the playoffs. The Surge defeated Chromatika three times in World Bowl 42, something that Sarai Gwenderyn and company will hope to avenage in this matchup.

"They're definitely one of the names on the list," admits Gwenderyn, "We'll be ready for this one."
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

Delaclava
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Delaclava » Sat May 21, 2022 1:30 pm

OOC: I started these predictions before knowing the SNL half results, so sorry if I jinxed anyone although I really don't think that's on me ;)

DSGN.com Football

DSGN Panel Predictions: World Bowl 43
We pick all 15 games and tell you who'll win it all

It's the best time of the year - the playoffs of the World Bowl! The best teams in the world have sorted themselves out and in a matter of weeks, one team will remain standing. Maybe it'll be the best team; maybe it'll be the lovable underdog; maybe it'll be some team who stumbles through a draw like Roger Federer and wins by default. Regardless, they will be champion!

Sixteen teams - some excellent, some present - remain, and we're looking forward to picking a winner from them! We were actually hoped to do this last time, but we were barred from doing this because Delaclava was hosting - the reasoning being that any media predictions could be perceived as a hosting bias. But now, our panel of five will take us all the way through the bracket in Ranoria and South Newlandia.

BM = Brian Mathis, former Phoenixes (WB39-40) quarterback
FB = Frederick Bell, DSGN Football editor
GR = Gerald Ries, Laurelum Tigers head coach
KA = Kevin Alés, former DGL and Phoenixes (WB39-43) wide receiver
VD = Vinny Dice, DSGN Football analyst

Ranoria half

Round of 16

#1 Ko-oren vs. #8 HUElavia
BM: You can't help but think that the Dragonflies, who at one point had won three of five titles, who are still the most feared defense in the world, have been a bit forgotten about as pundits wonder if Ranoria can defend their title, if Delaclava can get over the hump, or how fast TJUN-ia is coming. They had a rough go of things after Delaclava knocked them off their imperious form in Buffalostan, and had such bad memories about it that they stumbled through the next competition and then lost to Buffalostan in Delaclava. They've largely been back on their game this go-round, maybe not so invincible, but a battle-worn team that has learned from some tough moments and risen above it. That Ko-oren defense is still the deciding feature in any game they play. Good on HUElavia for winning some games in style, but they've been silenced by TJUN-ia who are just a solid team, and not the same defensive juggernauts. Ko-oren takes care of this. Panel Pick: 5-0 Ko-oren

#4 Anthor vs. #5 New Gesem
FB: You look at how tough some of these opening matchups are and wonder, "What's the catch?" This is the catch, and I have no idea how we got here, so let's unpack this. Anthor managed to win a group with a negative point differential, but they have a flair for the dramatic, for the messy, and have won nearly every single close game, including two overtime wins. Their somewhat chaotic defense and talented but untested offense have been Ranoria's kryptonite, and two wins over the Krauts is commendable no matter who did it and how. New Gesem, meanwhile, is a bit of an unorthodox squad with a West Coast offense and a primarily 3-4 defense. The Pilgrims have only lost to Ko-oren; they also did not beat Ko-oren. I would've thought New Gesem was the more difficult and distinctive team, but it's hard to look at a team that beat Ranoria twice and think they don't have some magic left. Panel Pick: 4-1 Anthor

#2 TJUN-ia vs. #7 Kriegiersien
GR: This is an easy pick. TJUN-ia's only weakness in the past few years has been the raw power of Drawkian teenage angst. Some tasteless half-nudity isn't going to cut it. TJUN-ia is all-around a great team and Kriegiersien doesn't really have a path forward here. I hope my job gets harder here... Panel Pick: 5-0 TJUN-ia

#3 Drawkland vs. #6 Ranoria
KA: A rematch of the previous World Bowl final - how the hell did we get here? It all went tits up for the Krauts, the two-time champions, once everyone came and crashed their home, losing to Anthor and Lisander. A previous home loss to Anthor knocked Ranoria off the mantle in their group. John Garrett, usually so precise and lethal, is feeling the pressure and making mistakes. Ranoria can win damn near any game (I can tell you that) they want until they know they're supposed to win in, and then it all falls apart. It's been interesting seeing Drawkland, whom we've got a lot of history with, and who really slid ass-backwards into the last championship game (nah that's not fair, we know how dangerous they are), try to establish themselves as a bona fide contender. That they won each series in their group 2-1 is an interesting feature of their schedule, but none of those teams were exactly quality and the decline in play from Dustin Beck and his crew has been noticeable to me over the past few years. They're still dangerous, but I think the Krauts answer the alarm bells and figure this one out. Panel Pick: 5-0 Ranoria

Quarterfinals
Ko-oren vs. Anthor
GR: I'm hard-pressed to think the Dragonflies defense doesn't carry the day here. The question mark really is Anthor and whether Dirk Wallace (or perhaps Nick Harriot) presents the kind of weapon that can dismantle Ko-oren and all of the challenges they present. Their best asset is the element of surprise and a total lack of fear at the occasion (if they do have that). But I think it takes a really solid, really experienced team to take apart Ko-oren, and I wouldn't rely on an upstart getting the job done at this late stage. Panel Pick: 5-0 Ko-oren

TJUN-ia vs. Ranoria
VD: On paper, maybe the toughest quarterfinal matchup in a while. Both teams are just so solid all-around; John Garrett and Johnny Farmer will take on a defense that hasn't allowed much of anything while a young Ranoria defense takes on an old-guard Jaguars attack. They're evenly matched, and I think you go with the intangibles here; Ranoria has been iffy but they tend their way to "warm into" the competition and being at home has caused a lot of nerves for them, while you get the sense there's a real honor in playing for a squad like TJUN-ia and the players winding down their careers are really trying to make their mark. Both teams have something to prove and it would be all about who wants it more. Panel Pick: 3-2 Ranoria

Semifinal
Ko-oren vs. Ranoria
KA: Truly a meeting of champions here, and there's a real argument that this is the best offense in the world against the best defense in the world. It's been bizarre seeing the Krauts not as polished as they've been in the past and you know how the Dragonflies can sniff out an offensive vulnerability and take over all aspects of the game. Ranoria are the two-time defending champions and Ko-oren have fallen in earlier stages, but timing is everything and I never got the sense that the Dragonflies dropped in quality or that the Krauts really found a new level. Panel Pick: 4-1 Ko-oren

South Newlandia half

Round of 16
#1 Banija vs. #8 Kohnhead
VD: Banija has been the team - and especially the offense - to beat in this competition. The Serpent Eagles have completely transformed themselves from a grungy, powerful team to a high-flying offense led by Ifeatu Chineze that averaged 42.1 points per game, and after an opening-day slip in Bongo Johnson, the defense has considerably tightened up and supported the efforts on the other side of the all; they currently ride an eight-game winning streak. Kohnhead also knows how to put points on the board - fourth in the competition, averaging 31.9 - but tend to hover around .500. They're a tough out and know how to win big games, like their "play-in" game against Mon Sold. It seems like some day they could knock off a tough team but now doesn't seem like the time. The Brains' strategy is to out-gun the Serpent Eagles and sorry, it's just not happening. Panel Pick: 5-0 Banija

#4 South Newlandia vs. #5 Sarzonia
KA: This is a really intriguing matchup here. The Elephants have done well in their home tournament and other than getting obliterated in Saint Kanye a few weeks ago (sandwiched in between wins against the Surge), they're a solid team that's hard to get a lot of big plays against. When we beat them in the quarterfinals, they gave us everything they had, we only got by on mettle and experience, and they've continued to improve since then. We've had plenty of reps against the Stars too and they're a tough team with a big, physical defense; even without Cameron Stallworth, they have plenty of guys that can make plays and put points up - and if the defense is on their game, it doesn't take a lot of points. When you consider the Stars have only lost two games to the Phoenixes, both close - and beat us once - and have looked relatively strong in doing it - that goes well against what the Elephants have done in front of their own crowd. It should be a tough, gritty game and I think experience beats sentiment. Panel Pick: 3-2 Sarzonia

#2 Delaclava vs. #7 Kavanis
FB: Yikes, it feels like bad luck to just pick our team, doesn't it? To be clear, anything can happen. Delaclava has looked very good thus far. They aren't known for their defense but have been absolutely suffocating so far - 96 points allowed, third-best in the competition. Teams have started to figure out Taurus Wright a bit but he's still found a way to make plays and win games. The only blemish on the record is the loss in Sarzonia, a team we beat twice in close but decisive fashion. The only concern is that the Phoenixes haven't exactly traveled well - their wins in Kyhun and Venmere were not convincing - but they've settled into South Newlandia nicely and have spoken to feeling comfortable in these venues. Kavanis comes in with the worst record at 4-5, but beating Abanhfleft and Bongo Johnson twice each is no easy task for anyone, let alone a team having its first go at this competition. Stranger things have happened (Ranoria-Jeckland where you at???), but you've got to think that the moment is too big and the Phoenixes too good for the Kumquats, who certainly will be back. Panel Pick: 5-0 Delaclava

#3 Chromatika vs. #6 Saint Kanye
GR: I'll keep it simple: Chromatika is a college team and Saint Kanye is a pro team, a team of men and not boys and girls. Saint Kanye proved that how many times in World Bowl 42? The Surge have truly faced the best and often come out on top - making the semis of World Bowl 41 and losing an epic third-place playoff (perhaps the last ever?) to Delaclava, making the final in Buffalostan, and losing a quarterfinal to Ranoria - no shame in that. Saint Kanye have been wildly inconsistent but at their best, R.J. Linetti and crew can do whatever the hell they want out there. They've been battle-tested in a way Sarai Gwenderyn never has. This one's a stumper on paper but if you play this one in your head, I just don't see a way this is close. Panel Pick: 3-2 Saint Kanye

Quarterfinals
Banija vs. Sarzonia
BM: A fun game between two teams with contrasting styles and a bit of history too. The Serpent Eagles offense has been an unstoppable force; the Stars defense isn't an entirely immovable object but it will be the best defense Banija has had to encounter. The questions will be if Chineze can handle the pressure that Cunningham and Wilson will throw at him, the way they did with Taurus Wright (and I've taken a fair bit of it too), and if he makes enough time for himself, will the Stars stop the big play to Jelan and Kah? On the other side, I think the Stars offense has been good enough to score the points that they need to score, but if Banija keeps up the same production and puts up, say, 30 points, I just don't think that's a challenge Mike Barnett will meet. But it seems just as likely the Stars could win this one by a score of about 9-6. And the X-factor is that neither of these teams have been able to clear the hurdle lately and get into that final four. Not a lack of clutch, just running into better teams, and either team I think is ready to make that step. Take your pick. Panel Pick: 3-2 Banija

Delaclava vs. Saint Kanye
VD: These two squads faced off for bronze in Chromatika and it was an absolute banger - better than the title game, in fact. It was high-scoring - 34-31 - and before this tournament, I would have hazarded a guess that another matchup would go the same way. What's changed is that the Phoenixes have powered their way through with a strong front seven and the Surge have, if anything, taken a step back. But it's too simple to say Saint Kanye are going to lose this one, not when Linetti at his best can eat young guys like Luke Mussett and Alison Silva for breakfast. Linetti and Taurus have both shown the capacity to light up the scoreboard and this could be an incredibly fun game. The X factor is the Phoenixes' defense and how they deal with the Surge offense. Saint Kanye will be the best offense Delaclava has faced and I'm not sure it's true that we're the best defense they've faced. It would be a shame for one of these teams to take a step back, but that's the draw. I've got to pick the more consistent, well-rounded team. Panel Pick: 3-2 Delaclava

Semifinal
Banija vs. Delaclava
FB: First, could you imagine if we got this kind of rivalry game as a semifinal? Truly tantalizing matchup, where some mud has been slung (to be honest, mostly from us to them) - and the Phoenixes have the 4-1 edge in the matchup but you can't help but think the match is much closer than that. If Banija makes it here, that's a ten-game winning streak for them and that's very difficult to do. Delaclava would now be in its fourth straight semifinal and you wonder if losing the last three acts as a motivator or a mental roadblock. In the past, we've seen the Delaclav defense have an answer for the Banijan offense, put pressure on Chineze and tear the whole thing apart - and they have more tools than ever to take away the deep threat. But the Banija defense does have the ability to pressure Wright, who has looked more vulnerable than in past years, and while someone like Justin Vandaele is a great talent, he's not exactly a revelation that changes what the Serpent Eagles know about the Phoenixes. I hate to put this on my team, but I think if it's a shootout, Banija wins, and if it's a slugfest, it's even. The Serpent Eagles have more ways to win here. Panel Pick: 4-1 Banija

World Bowl XLIV
Ko-oren vs. Banija
FB: This is a huge opportunity for both teams. Ko-oren has been trying to find their way back here ever since the Phoenixes and Taurus Wright stymied them; Banija finally has the form to make it all the way to the last game, which they've only done once, in the fortieth edition. My instinct is that the Dragonflies are a world champion team and the Serpent Eagles are a very good team, that the Dragonflies have an elite defense and the Serpent Eagles have a strong but vincible offense. But you can only call what you see and what I've seen is both teams imposing their game plan on their opposition, and if anything, Banija has done it a bit better. And you figure they'll be coming off wins over Delaclava and Sarzonia (according to our guesses) and Ko-oren's best win is over a host Ranoria squad that isn't what it used to be. Tough decision, but I'm saying "And new." Panel Pick: 3-2 Banija
Sports Honor Roll
Football: 2x WORLD BOWL CHAMPIONS (13 & 15), 1x Runner-up (11), 4x Third Place (41-44), 1x Regional Champions
Hockey: World Cup 16 Third Place, 2x World Juniors Champion (18 & 22), 3x World Junior Runners-up (16, 17, 19), 1x Regional Silver
Basketball: 2x IBC Runners-up (31 and 36), 4x Regional Medal (1 Silver, 3 Bronze)
Lacrosse: 2x Worlds Runners-up (16 and 41) 1x Regional Silver
Soccer: Olympic Gold (V), 3rd at IAC 18 3rd at Di Bradini Cup 15, 4th at Baptism of Fire 34
Host of WC 55; CoH 44, 46, 84, and 87; BoF 72; World Bowl 11, 15, 39, and 43; IBC 7 and 31; AOCAF 31; WJHC 16 and 18; etc. Founder of Scott Cup and World Team Tennis Championship.

Kavanis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kavanis » Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm

"Brian, your thoughts on the predictions of Delaclavan media that they will win 5-0?"

"Well Brian, I think it's unlikely because 5-0 is a very unusual score in handegg."

"Thanks Brian, back to you in the studio Brian."

-- excerpt from Kavanis news programming
“We have known freedom’s price. We have shown freedom’s power. We will see freedom’s victory.” – George W. Bush

New Gesem
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Gesem » Sat May 21, 2022 3:11 pm

Shadow of Death, pt 1
“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley”
-Bruce H. Norton, Force Recon Diary, 1969

Jose Carlos Rivera Rodriguez had never gone by anything other than “Rod”, whether as a standout high school football player, a soldier, a member of the Gryphons fraternity, or lately as a politician on a meteoric rise. “Vote Rod” was emblazoned on bumper stickers, yard signs, and churches throughout his home constituency, a patch of green hills centered on Griffinstown, or “G-Town” to the soldiers who frequented its bars and tattoo parlors. G-town’s economy was based around Fort Griffin, the largest military base in New Gesem, and to a lesser extent the Griffin Institute, New Gesem’s military college.

Rod had represented G-Town for five years now, ever since he’d retired from the Gesemite Army, where he’d been a lieutenant colonel in the unit officially designated the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, but ubiquitously referred to by its callsign, “Zealot.” After commanding one of the Zealot battalions, Rod had assumed he would move on to command the entire regiment and then to the general officer ranks. Instead he’d been passed up in favor of another officer who was more connected within the Gryphons. As consolation he’d been offered command of the infantry training center at Camp White near Damascus, which came with a promotion to full colonel, but none of the prestige of commanding the Zealots.

Rather than compromise his principles, Rod had tendered his resignation, retired to his house in G-town, and resolved to breed hunting dogs. He’d spend part of the year in a small house in suburban Alexandria, commuting into the city to serve in the Assembly, and the rest in G-town, tending to his dogs and his constituents with the same gruff affection he’d once shown his soldiers.

Thus was his reality for five years until Daniel Griffin called him out of the blue and asked to meet. A soft-spoken man in his late forties, Dan was a direct descendant of Alister Griffin, founder of the Noble Order of Gryphons and the patron of the Gesemite military. The two men were Griffin Institute classmates and had met many times over the years at fraternal and military functions, but Rod had distanced himself from both over the debacle with command. The Gryphons supported Rod’s political campaigns with perfunctory campaign funds and endorsements, but his seat was seen as safe and he and his staff had coordinated most of it themselves.

Whatever bad blood existed between Rod and the rest of the Gryphons, Dan was an old friend and, more to the point, he’d come alone and been appropriately deferential on the phone. Rod welcomed him in and offered a glass of whiskey.

“Please and thank you,” Dan said, sounding winded from the long walk up Rod’s driveway. When the two had met at the Institute nearly three decades ago, Dan had been fresh from college while Rod had been closer to thirty, having cut his teeth as an enlisted soldier before deciding to make the jump to the officer ranks. Both had been in peak condition then, fit and ferociously virile, prepared to take on the world, but their paths had quickly diverged. Where Rod had gone into the infantry and eventually been assessed for the Zealots, Dan had chosen logistics and spent his days behind a desk before resigning his commission to take an active role in his family’s business.

Dan eased himself into one of Rod’s wing-backed chairs and took in his sitting room, noting with approval the framed flag with crossed daggers, symbol of the Zealots, as well as the more subdued Gryphons crest. It was hard for Rod to reconcile the man he saw before him with the young sub-lieutenant Dan had been; he looked old, even older than Rod who was six years his senior. Where Rod still ran his dogs every morning and had built a sizeable gym in the basement of his house, Dan looked like he’d spent most of the intervening years sitting and eating.

One of Rod’s dogs moseyed into the room and curled up at his feet, eying Dan warily. Dan watched it with soft eyes, and for a second Rod was worried the man was going to start cooing over it like a toy breed in a bassinet.

“Gesem coonhounds,” Dan noted. “No finer breed in all of Anaia–no, the multiverse.”

“My retirement,” Rod explained, not taking his eyes off the dog. “I just got licensed as a breeder. This here’s Mack, my stud.”

Dan snorted, and Rod couldn’t suppress a smile. Mack Davis was a classmate of theirs at the Institute whom they’d often characterized as a “hound”. Mack, the dog, hearing the noise, perked his ears up, but stayed where he was, in a tight coil on the rug in front of the fireplace. The other dogs were kenneled in an outbuilding, including one bitch expecting a litter of Mack’s puppies; Rod knew in a few days she would whelp, and he’d be inundated with prospective buyers, veterinarians, and all sorts of other visitors at his secluded house.

“What brings you out all this way, Dan?” Rod asked, deciding the time had come to finish with niceties.

“Sally Fellows won’t seek reelection.” Dan said it nonchalantly, as though it were a casual answer to a casual question, but the sentence had so many layers it took Rod a second to parse them all. He leaned forward unconsciously, brow knitted in concentration; it wasn’t until Mack sensed his agitation and stiffened that Rod realized how tense he was and made an effort to relax.

“So who’s the de facto after she’s gone?”

Technically, the five seats on the Gesemite executive were identical, each having the same powers and responsibilities as the other. In reality, there were informal roles that individual executives held, typically based on the executives’ prior experience. The “de facto”, short for “de facto commander-in-chief”, was a good example of such a role. Officially, the five members of the executive jointly held the title of commander-in-chief of the Gesemite military, but in reality, of course military operations do not lend themselves to being governed by committee. One executive, typically one who’d made a career in the military himself, would generally take on the role of interfacing directly with the joint chiefs of staff and overseeing the military.

For the past fifteen years, that person had been Dr. Sarah Fellows. One of the longest-tenured members of the Executive, Fellows was a physician who’d finished her military career as the surgeon general and began her political career in Alexandroupolis. She had a good mix of traits that had allowed her to win reelection twice; like most physicians, she had no fraternal affiliation, and she was an able administrator with a winningly blunt manner that connected with Gesemite voters. Now in her sixties, Fellows was a practicing physician and had openly mulled resigning her position in previous years, so it was a show of good faith that she’d waited until her seat was up for reelection.

“None of the other four has any experience,” Dan stated, though Rod already knew that. “Likely they’ll want to elect somebody with experience.”

“And you think it’s me? Why?”

Dan studied his glass of whiskey, then watched Mack scratch his ear. “You’re the ranking military member in the Assembly,” he said matter-of-factly. “And your mother is Huayramarcan, correct?”

“What’s that got to do with it?” Gesemite politics were notoriously xenophobic.

“A lot, as it happens. Tell me, what do you know about NAFTA?”
Population: ~10 million
Capital: Alexandria
Demonym: Gesemite
Sports played: American football
OOC Reference
Gesemite Constitution

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

NSFB: CHAOS REIGNS

Postby TJUN-ia » Sat May 21, 2022 5:02 pm

Never Count On TJUN-ia. Just Don't.

Tungdil Bigfoot's kicking ability and the defence of the old Stonecutters ended our dreams...just like Drawkland before us.

Another tournament in which many would argue we left too soon.

But this is TJUN-ia - it's just how we operate, frustrating in everything fucking way.

Four players retired after this season - Jester Carter (the Galarian dream), Chris Thorndyke, Alfie Johnson and Pedro Marquinios.

Others decided to stay for one simple reason - it can't all end like this.

WB45 will be the true final stand...for better or for worse.

GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group B)
MD1: @Rocky Canada (UR) W 27-16 (2nd/1-0)
MD2: vs Theofficaljapan (UR) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 29-19 (2nd/2-0)
MD3: @HUElavia (17) L 10-29 (2nd/2-1/+2PD)
MD4: vs Rocky Canada (UR) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 36-31 (2nd/3-1)
MD5: @Theofficaljapan (UR) W 14-3 (2nd/4-1)
MD6: vs HUElavia (17) - Field of Dreams in The Gardens, New Washington W 44-13 (1st/5-1/+49PD)
MD7: vs Rocky Canada (UR) - Royalty Field, Rouyoutte, Ranoria W 16-14 (1st/6-1/Playoffs Confirmed)
MD8: vs Theofficaljapan (UR) - Karmin-Falce Superdome, Ranoria City, Ranoria W 13-3 (1st/7-1)
MD9: vs HUElavia (17) - Mount Reinhold Stadium, Eglise, Ranoria W 27-6 (1st/8-1/+82PD/#2)
------------------------------
RO16: vs Kriegiersien (38/#7R/5-4) - Reinhild Aerodynamics Arena, North Ashialand L 23-27 (8-2)
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Saint Kanye
Minister

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint Kanye » Sat May 21, 2022 6:05 pm

The St. Kanye Surge have proved several times during the World Bowl 44 that they're a force to be reckoned with when their offense gets into the groove. Serving as evidence of that are big wins of 53-17, 63-16 and 42-14. However, there are also times when they just struggle to score to save their own asses, which translated into losses of 9-35, 6-20, and the latest one being 10-20.

What was supposed to be a third "neutral ground" match instead saw the South Newlandia Elephants play at home for the second time against the Surge. It was the former who would prevail in the final matchday, earning the top spot in Group H with a 7-2 record, as well as the #4 seed and a Round of 16 meeting with the Sarzonia Stars. The latter, for their part, fell to 6-3 and the #6 seed, and will need to survive the might of the Chromatika Iron Legion.

"Welp, let's do this then," spoke Surge wide receiver Bruce Dobler, the only one to score a touchdown against SNL in their most recent outing. "We worked so hard to avoid an early matchup like this, but since we were unsuccessful with that, we have to face the consequence, namely the hottest team in gridiron right now, having quickly risen to #4, reinforced by the recent NSCF champions, and fueled by revenge after being beaten by us thrice in one tournament," he continued. "The Legion will give us headaches on both sides of the ball," spoke Jeff Delphine, head mentor for the boys in purple and lime. "Sarai Gwenderyn, Cara Setri, Mi-Hyeon Park, the Mio sisters. Even their special teams looks like they'd give ours a run for our money, even with the great Sara McAllister gone."

1Q STK field goal Rasputin 35 STK 3-0
1Q SNL Hurst 12 pass from Stein (Kick failed) SNL 6-3

2Q SNL Read 47 run (Corbett kick) SNL 13-3

4Q STK Dobler 61 pass from Linetti (Rasputin kick) SNL 13-10
4Q SNL Ramsey 31 pass from Stein (Corbett kick) SNL 20-10

If gridiron gave points for popularity, the Surge would have probably beaten every other team, as they have some of the most dedicated and supportive fans in the international gridiron world. Unfortunately, the clash against the Legion will take place at the tiny Jungledrom in the city of Ratzupalfu, which seats only 2,186, a far cry from the 80,085-seater Pencurve Electronics Field that the Yeezies call home. "We don't care," said a 30-something purple and lime-clad man who refused to be identified. "We'll crowd the outside of the stadium. We'll cram ourselves into the stands. We'll hire cranes if we have to. Our team needs us, and having them play in a place smaller than Pencurve Field's VIP section won't stop us." The Surge will be playing in their new alternate lime jerseys, paired with their usual purple pants.

In the other Round of 16 matches in the South Newlandian side, the #1 Banija Serpent Eagles (8-1) will face off against the #7 Kohnhead Brains (5-4), while the #2 Delaclava Phoenixes (also 8-1) will play the #8 Kavanis Kumquats (4-5, the only newcomers and team with a losing record to qualify for this edition's playoffs). Over at the Ranorian side, the #1 Ko-oren Dragonflies (8-1) will square off against #8 HUElavia (6-3); the #4 Anthor Voodoo (6-3) will battle the #5 New Gesem Pilgrims (also 6-3); the #2 TJUN-ia Jaguars (8-1) will test their skills against #7 Kriegiersien (5-4); and finally, the #3 Drawkland Grid Corps (6-3) will have a World Bowl 43 finals rematch against the #6 Ranoria Krauts (also 6-3).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| MD | Opponent | Rank | Uniform | Score | Record | Place |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 1 | State of Imperial Russia | UR | Purple/Purple | W 25- 0 | 1-0 | 1st |
| 2 | Quebec and Shingoryeo | 27 | Purple/Black | W 53-17 | 2-0 | 1st |
| 3 | @South Newlandia | 12 | White/Purple | L 9-35 | 2-1 | 1st |
| | BREAK | | | | | |
| 4 | @State of Imperial Russia | UR | White/White | W 26-10 | 3-1 | 1st |
| 5 | @Quebec and Shingoryeo | 27 | White/Purple | L 6-20 | 3-2 | 2nd |
| 6 | South Newlandia | 12 | Purple/Purple | W 63-16 | 4-2 | 1st |
| | BREAK | | | | | |
| 7 | State of Imperial Russia (N) | UR | Purple/Black | W 19-13 | 5-2 | 1st |
| 8 | Quebec and Shingoryeo (N) | 27 | Purple/Purple | W 42-14 | 6-2 | 1st |
| 9 | South Newlandia (N) | 12 | White/White | L 10-20 | 6-3 | 2nd |
| | BREAK | | | | | |
| RO16 | Chromatika (4) | 4 | Lime/Purple | | | |
Gale Force Racing (NSSCRA Main Tier)
18 Jeremiah Brooke (S9 Champ, S13 Runner-up) | 27 Stacie Houston (S7 Champ, S12 Runner-up) | 46 Thea Alvarez (S10 Runner-up)

Skip Stiller Speedworks (NSSCRA Second Tier)
20 Sage Caldwell | 22 Pyotr Lavrentiev (S13 Champion) | 30 Lexi Patterson

Champion:
IBC 20, 22, 23, 24 (Basketball)
NSCAA 11 (College Basketball)
IC7 II, VI (7ball)
Arena Bowl VI (Arena Gridiron)
NSSCRA 9 (Stock Car Racing)

Runner-up:
World Bowl 42 (Gridiron)
NSSCRA 10, 12, 13

Bronze:
IBC 19

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!

Arrosia, baby

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat May 21, 2022 8:06 pm

S Seeding Pld W L PF PA PD Win % 
1: E1 Banija 9 8 1 379 186 +193 0.889
2: F1 Delaclava 9 8 1 248 96 +152 0.889
3: G1 Chromatika 9 8 1 304 167 +137 0.889
4: H1 South Newlandia 9 7 2 238 218 +20 0.778
5: F2 Sarzonia 9 7 2 176 79 +97 0.778
6: H2 Saint Kanye 9 6 3 253 145 +108 0.667
7: E2 Kavanis 9 4 5 243 245 −2 0.444
8: G2 Kohnhead 9 5 4 287 263 +24 0.556

*Kavanis and Kohnhead switched to avoid group stage rematch between Banija and Kavanis

Round of 16 Matchups!
Scorinated by Ran - Glory's on the line folks, who wants it more?

Banija 40–23 Kohnhead
@EVU Field, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia(7,000)

South Newlandia 23–23 Sarzonia (45–39 OT)
@Stadium of Friendship, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia(41,093)

Delaclava 20–10 Kavanis
@Elephant Field, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia(15,400)

Chromatika 23–20 Saint Kanye
The Jungledrom, Ratzupalfu, South Newlandia (2,186)

Quarterfinal Matchups (scorinated by Ran)

#1 Banija vs #4 South Newlandia
@The Jungledrom, Ratzupalfu, South Newlandia (2,186)

#2 Delaclava vs #3 Chromatika
EVU Field, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia(7,000)
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat May 21, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Delaclava
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Delaclava » Sun May 22, 2022 6:49 am

Kavanis wrote:"Brian, your thoughts on the predictions of Delaclavan media that they will win 5-0?"

"Well Brian, I think it's unlikely because 5-0 is a very unusual score in handegg."

"Thanks Brian, back to you in the studio Brian."

-- excerpt from Kavanis news programming

"They really thought those were scores on the article?" Frederick Bell scoffed. "They clearly were panel votes. There were five of us, each of the other games added up to five. Did they consider using their brains?"

"Well, you could have explained a little bit more and then it would've been obvious," his wife Mary chimed in.

"Are you kidding, Mary?"

"I mean, I understand what you were saying, bunny, but some people just need a little more help. Really slow it down, you know?"

"Ha. Yeah, you're right about that."

"Also if you all had picked more than half of the games right—"

"Whose side are you on?? Besides, you really expected to pick Drawkland to win when their bloggers don't even want it? Get your head out of your ass. I stand by all of those picks."

"Well alright. Just don't be surprised when you say things and then people notice that you say those things!"

"I'm a journalist for crying out loud I know how it works... you know, the game's about to start, let's just turn it on."

Frederick clicked over just in time to see Dominic Hughes boot the kickoff to the back of the field, where Andre Michel collected it and took it out to the 37-yard line, dodging a few defenders on the way before being forced out of bounds. It was great field position for the Phoenixes and they began to work their way up, with Taurus Wright and Noah Simmons running the option for a few plays, setting up nicely a play action and Wright found Justin Vandaele streaking down the sideline, hitting him on a dime and Vandaele just barely got forced out by Jaivon Epps around the 12 yard line. But the Kavanis defense had the Phoenixes in check in the short field, with Finnegan Spence shutting down the pass to Robbie Hahn - Wright's favorite red-zone play - and Kieran Conley made his 25-yard field goal to at least put Delaclava ahead, 3-0.

After the kickoff, the two teams traded three-and-outs, but it was the Phoenixes who won the battle of position, with Seamus Shore getting to punt from the opposing 48-yard-line and placing the kick perfectly in the corner, pinning the Kumquats at the 2-yard line. The Kumquats, just trying to get off their own goal line, handed off to Andres Horton, but the offensive line couldn't catch Vagner Dias blasting up the middle, blowing up Horton almost as soon as he got the ball. Horton was lucky to hang onto the ball but it was still a Delaclava safety. 5-0.

Frederick leapt out of his chair, yelling, "A-HA! Five to nothing! Suck it Brians, you uneducated fucks!"

"Well, I'm sure they're going to score more—"

"Mary, I swear to God..."
Sports Honor Roll
Football: 2x WORLD BOWL CHAMPIONS (13 & 15), 1x Runner-up (11), 4x Third Place (41-44), 1x Regional Champions
Hockey: World Cup 16 Third Place, 2x World Juniors Champion (18 & 22), 3x World Junior Runners-up (16, 17, 19), 1x Regional Silver
Basketball: 2x IBC Runners-up (31 and 36), 4x Regional Medal (1 Silver, 3 Bronze)
Lacrosse: 2x Worlds Runners-up (16 and 41) 1x Regional Silver
Soccer: Olympic Gold (V), 3rd at IAC 18 3rd at Di Bradini Cup 15, 4th at Baptism of Fire 34
Host of WC 55; CoH 44, 46, 84, and 87; BoF 72; World Bowl 11, 15, 39, and 43; IBC 7 and 31; AOCAF 31; WJHC 16 and 18; etc. Founder of Scott Cup and World Team Tennis Championship.

Kavanis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kavanis » Sun May 22, 2022 7:13 am

Q1
0 – 3 Kieran Conley 25 yard field goal
0 – 5 Safety, Andres Horton tackled in end zone by Vagner Dias
Q2
Q3
Q4

“Oh no!” said Haroon Ali. “They’re going to win 5–0 after all!”

“Don’t worry,” said Jaivon Epps, as the cornerbacks moved into position. Delaclava were facing third and long on their own 22; the game was about to move into the Kumquats’ favor (I mean, unless there was a totally reckless blown coverage or something, but pffft, what are the chances?). “I’m about to pull what is known as a pro gamer move.”

Q4
0 – 12 Justin Vandaele 78 yard pass from Taurus Wright (Kieran Conley kick)

On the sidelines, the Krazee Kumquats celebrated.

Q4
3 – 12 Dom Hughes 42 yard field goal
3 – 20 Noah Simmons 3 yard pass from Taurus Wright (Robbie Hahn pass from Taurus Wright)
10 – 20 Jamaad Baker 31 yard pass from Joe Buchan (Dom Hughes kick)

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon May 23, 2022 2:33 am

Ranoria versus Ko-oren. Together, winners of five of the last seven World Bowl titles (the remaining ones were won by the Free Republics and Cassadaigua). Proponents of offence and defence, showing that either one can win you a title. And yet, they haven't met in the knockouts of a World Bowl. This time, the bracket aligned for a potential meeting all the way in the semifinals - and neither team would get there easily. First seed Ko-oren had a slightly easier path on paper, but Ranoria came in as the two-time running champion. Would this finally be the matchup between these giants?

Drawkland had other ideas. Two highly offensive teams met in New Quebec, the hosts listed as the away side, in a battle that could 'see 90-100 points scored by both teams'. We're still not exactly sure what happened, but if you took the under, congratulations. The Delaclavan panel at DSGN.com certainly wasn't as lucky, with all five pundits 'taking the L' on this one. The final score was 9-6 to Drawkland, ensuring that they take on Kriegiersien next.

Meanwhile, in Nashville, Ko-oren took on HUElavia, a game that, according to DSGN.com, would be a solid victory for the Dragonflies (all five picked us to win). Luckily for us, they got it right, with the HUElavians scoring a single touchdown on a short drive in the third quarter, sandwiched between two touchdown drives for us. That, as well as two more TDs, a field goal, and a safety, got us a massive win this late in the tournament. We're now to play Anthor in the quarterfinal.

In the other bracket, it's the four top seeds that advance: Banija will play hosts South Newlandia, and Delaclava takes on Chromatika.

Gridiron - Season 50 - Regular season, part III

To finish off the regular season, most of our teams are still alive going into the final weeks. Mathematically, nobody is out yet, but it's cutting it close for some.

Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 17 19:00 - Sterrenwolde Dragonflies 27-17 Aminey Caspians (Het Planetarium, Sterrenwolde att. 46000/46000, 4C Cloudy)
Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 17 19:00 - Willowbourne Saints 26-26 Greencaster Godspeed (Willowbowl, Willowbourne att. 55000/55000, 10C Gloomy)
Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 18 19:00 - Schemerdrecht 65ers 39-6 Schemerdrecht Admirals (65ers Arena, Schemerdrecht att. 48000/48000, 4C Sunny)
Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 18 19:00 - Mayara Wolves 23-16 Mayara Destroyers (Wolves' Lair Stadium, Senoren att. 37000/37000, 7C Cloudy)
Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 18 19:00 - Mawryshire Centaurs 30-24 Eaglebury Emperors (Hertfield, Mawrystwyth att. 33000/33000, 5C Gloomy and rainy)
Week 15 RIVAL Zedhasim 18 19:00 - Noordrug Astronauts 24-20 Aerellen Explosions (The Glacier, Launott att. 28000/28000, 0C Wet snow, Hail)

It's the second rival week, so we have six fantastic games, involving at least one playoff contender, versus the team they want to beat most of all. It's Sterrenwolde - title candidates - taking on Aminey, on their second-to-last chance at making the postseason... and it's a methodical win for the former. Willowbourne and Greencaster, both hoping for their first knockout game in several seasons, share the 'win' which means it's getting very difficult for the Willowbourne Saints to make it in. The Schemerdrecht derby, for the first time in years, doesn't feature a title contender, and it's not exactly an otherwise entertaining game... 39-6 for the former. The Mayara derby is a surprising one: this is normally an easy win for the Destroyers, but the Wolves put up a fight and steal the win - too little too late, probably - but to annoy the Destroyers is the most important thing here. The southwestern derby is our first game between two teams over .500, and in a typical bad weather game, the home team deals with the conditions just a bit better. In a snow game in the northeast, the Astronauts take a win away from title contenders the Explosions... and they're not happy. The scrappy game already wasn't helped by icy conditions, but the fights didn't help either.

Week 16 DIV Zedhasim 23 19:00 - Schemerdrecht 65ers 19-27 Aminey Caspians (65ers Arena, Schemerdrecht att. 40707/48000, 1C Overcast and rainy)
Week 16 DIV Zedhasim 23 19:00 - Sterrenwolde Dragonflies 42-14 Schemerdrecht Admirals (Het Planetarium, Sterrenwolde att. 40725/46000, 2C Overcast and rainy)
Week 16 DIV Zedhasim 24 19:00 - Mayara Wolves 13-17 Greencaster Godspeed (Wolves' Lair Stadium, Senoren att. 37000/37000, 8C Clear)
Week 16 DIV Zedhasim 24 19:00 - Mayara Destroyers 33-30 Willowbourne Saints (Exhibition Centre, Mayara att. 41000/41000, 9C Clear)

Just four games this week: four teams are getting byes to prepare for the final two weeks. In the games we do have going on, Aminey beat the 65ers in a game that's unlikely to be important going forward, but you never know. The Dragonflies do the necessary thing and defeat a mediocre Admirals team that has largely given up on the playoffs as well. The Godspeed smell blood and really think they can make something for themselves in a worse-than-expected western division, and beat the Wolves. The Destroyers, that other big team in the west, win a close one over the Saints.

Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 29 19:00 - Noordrug Astronauts 12-13 Schemerdrecht 65ers (The Glacier, Launott att. 28000/28000, -1C Partially Cloudy)
Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 29 19:00 - Aerellen Explosions 51-30 Sterrenwolde Dragonflies (Northern Arena, Aevanna att. 32000/32000, -1C Partially Cloudy)
Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 30 19:00 - Schemerdrecht Admirals 23-19 Aminey Caspians (Orange Bowl, Schemerdrecht att. 54000/54000, 2C Sunny)
Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 30 19:00 - Mayara Destroyers 24-21 Eaglebury Emperors (Exhibition Centre, Mayara att. 41000/41000, 4C Cloudy)
Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 30 19:00 - Willowbourne Saints 50-27 Mayara Wolves (Willowbowl, Willowbourne att. 55000/55000, 3C Cloudy)
Week 17 DIV Zedhasim 30 19:00 - Greencaster Godspeed 13-10 Mawryshire Centaurs (Surbourneshire Square, Greencaster att. 65000/65000, 12C Partially Cloudy)

All teams compete this week, and for some it's the last chance to take a necessary win. The Mayara Destroyers play their final game of the season, and beat Eaglebury to potentially keep the latter out of the playoffs. Sterrenwolde lose the Eastern division final preview to the Explosions, a shootout that was never going to favour the visitors, as the home team win on a cold evening, making a great case for getting the first overall seed. The Saints and Wolves entertain everyone - nobody's going to the playoffs, but at least it's fun to watch. The Godspeed beat the Centaurs, so both southwestern .500 + teams are losing - and the division gets called a little early.

Week 18 DIV Zedhasim 35 19:00 - Aminey Caspians 34-39 Aerellen Explosions (Stade sur la Baie, Aminey att. 48673/70000, 10C Gloomy and rainy)
Week 18 DIV Zedhasim 35 19:00 - Sterrenwolde Dragonflies 17-9 Noordrug Astronauts (Het Planetarium, Sterrenwolde att. 46000/46000, 5C Sunny)
Week 18 DIV Zedhasim 36 19:00 - Eaglebury Emperors 38-13 Greencaster Godspeed (The Palace, Eaglebury att. 34000/34000, 1C Overcast)
Week 18 DIV Zedhasim 36 19:00 - Mawryshire Centaurs 26-27 Willowbourne Saints (Hertfield, Mawrystwyth att. 33000/33000, 0C Overcast)

This one's for seeding, mostly. The Explosions win a close one in Aminey to seize the first seed in the east. The Dragonflies add another win, but it doesn't erase their awful defeat in Aerellen last week - but they're still second in the division. They already knew that: they have 10 wins to Aerellen's 11... and the third team there are the 65ers at 7-1-8. Greencaster loses, giving Eaglebury a bit of hope until they properly look at the table again (the west was already decided), and the Saints beat the Centaurs, which directly eliminates the Centaurs... a painful way to go.

Pld    W   D   L    PF   PA   PD    Win % 
1 Aerellen Explosions (EAST) 16 11 0 5 532 352 +180 0.688 #1 EAST
2 Sterrenwolde Dragonflies (EAST) 16 10 0 6 398 343 +55 0.625 #2 EAST
3 Greencaster Godspeed (WEST) 16 9 1 6 311 339 −28 0.594 #1 WEST
4 Mayara Destroyers (WEST) 16 9 0 7 421 425 −4 0.562 #2 WEST
5 Mawryshire Centaurs (WEST) 16 8 1 7 341 287 +54 0.531
6 Eaglebury Emperors (WEST) 16 8 0 8 431 396 +35 0.500
7 Schemerdrecht 65ers (EAST) 16 7 1 8 316 300 +16 0.469
8 Aminey Caspians (EAST) 16 7 1 8 323 330 −7 0.469
9 Willowbourne Saints (WEST) 16 7 1 8 402 467 −65 0.469
10 Noordrug Astronauts (EAST) 16 6 0 10 345 361 −16 0.375
11 Mayara Wolves (WEST) 16 6 0 10 245 337 −92 0.375
12 Schemerdrecht Admirals (EAST) 16 5 1 10 245 373 −128 0.344

Week one of the postseason pits the Explosions at home, in cold Aerellen, versus the Dragonflies. The western division final is in Greencaster for the first time in years, with the Godspeed taking on the Destroyers.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kriegiersien » Mon May 23, 2022 6:22 am

The Tim Krieg Times
(former The Timey Times)
not government subsidized

Kriegiersien team in the quarter-final of the World Bowl XLIV!

TJUN-ia 23–27 Kriegiersien

Despite the favourite being aware of the danger of the Kriegiersien team and its randomness, they weren’t able to stop Dudagog, the orc who makes the runs of his career.
Everytime the Ork was able to get some feet of free space the ball landed in his big hands and he was able to make much too many yards for the likings of the opponent.
Despite the odds and zero experts Delaclava giving a fuck for Kriegiersien outfit style or that Kriegiersien could win, the dwarven team surprised with Dudagog carrying the ball and the team into the end zone four times, while the defense was holding good enough.

Drawkland is the opponent in the quarter final.
In the group stage Drawkland won 2 of the 3 matches against each other, now the two meet again.

“I has to make up for the last match. This time I will chop tis Drawkland guyz for gud”, Dudagog boasted before the next match.

“We want to take the fear from Drawkland to lose a historic fifth World Bowl final. We happily take that problem and the final from them”, said Coach Silly Deepdottar laughing.

We hope for another epic battle.

Last edited by Kriegiersien on Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Mon May 23, 2022 7:29 am

Exit interviews can sometimes feel like pointless ventures. When someone is exiting a job, they're often portrayed as a tool for the employer to get a sense of areas to improve. For a departing employee, they may feel as pointless as conversations about topics that don't interest them.

However, the exit interview between Sarzonian national gridball team manager Gavin Davis and the Incorporated Gridball Federation Board of Governors was anything but. The Board had more on their minds than the end of Sarzonia's World Bowl qualifying campaign in a 45-39 defeat to South Newlandia in a quadruple overtime marathon. They had more to think about than Sarzonia's 7-3 record overall and the team's struggles on offence.

There was also the matter of what the Board considered insubordination on Davis's part in not starting quarterback Cameron Stallworth after they rescinded his expulsion from the team. For Davis, that decision was a betrayal of a covenant the Board had until this point zealously protected.

The Stars were out in the first round of the World Bowl. A defence that led all 32 teams in fewest points conceded across nine group stage matches coughed up 45, which was more than half the total they'd allowed in nine matches before that. Granted, they played six matches against the likes of Venmere and Kyhun, two teams that could never be confused for being among the best teams the competition had to offer. But they also held a tough Delaclava side to 46 points across three matches, so this 45-point outing, even considering the four overtime periods it took for the Elephants to score that total, was certainly not Davis's team's shining hour.

After the two sides took a break, which allowed Davis to ponder whether he wanted to stay on as manager and the IGF Board to determine whether they wanted him in the first place, the conversation in the Board room was tense. The talk included discussions of how the supporters would react if word got out that they fired Davis, who was a hugely popular figure from his days as Sarzonia's quarterback. He guided the Stars to two World Bowl titles and four appearances in the World Bowl final from six competitions in an era when Sarzonia were among a dominant troika. They knew they'd have a riot on their hands if they unilaterally fired him.

For Davis, if he walked away from the Stars, he would do so with the belief that the decision to overturn his expulsion of the young Stallworth from the team was a bridge too far. Even if he stayed, he felt the resentment, the loss of face, the erosion of his authority to make decisions like that, would be too great.

It was clear to both sides that each would have to move on from the other. But announcing it as a "mutual decision" would be a red flag for Stars faithful who wouldn't buy it for a second. But finally, that's what it came down to as the IGF top brass would soon begin a job search with two candidates already in the building.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

John Garrett vs Dustin Beck III

Postby Drawkland » Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 am

Dustin Beck stood on the sidelines of the Field of Green. He cast a worried eye at the clock, for probably the eighth time this drive. The score was 6-6, 4:15 left on the clock in the fourth quarter. Ranoria was driving, John Garrett furiously piloting his team to get them into field goal range. If all went well for the Krauts, Beck wouldn't even get the ball back. For the Corps defense, it was make or break.

Beck, of course, felt horrible. His team had been stymied all game. Jack Hoy, normally an unstoppable force on the ground, had been limited to less than 70 yards and no scores. The only points Beck had scored came early in the first quarter.

Drawkland had gotten to the red zone five times in this game. The first time, Beck hit Quinn Conrad on a goalline short out route for a touchdown. Hoy was stuffed on the two pointer, so the Corps had to be content with six. The next two times, they would go for it on fourth down and suffer incomplete passes to turn the ball over on downs. The fourth time, David Merit whiffed on a field goal from the 20, an uncharacteristic miss for the normally lights-out kicker.

The fifth time hurt the most. Just two minutes of game time ago, Beck threw a backbreaking interception on the 10 yard line. He tried to fit it to Jackie Morris on the sideline, but instead the route was cut off with a beautifully timed jump by Darnell Sleight. Morris was close enough to bring down Sleight before he could return the pick very far, but the damage had been done. Now all Beck could do was watch as the Krauts rolled down the field to win the game.

On the other hand, the Corps defense had been just as lethal. John Garrett and Vice Jackson III had been stymied worse than Hoy and Beck. While Drawkland had gotten to the red zone a few times and wasted their opportunities, Ranoria had only visited the red zone twice. Both ended in field goal attempts, only one ended with three points for the Krauts. The Corps D-line, fresh off terrorizing Aaron Brady for eight sacks against StrayaRoos, was energized and making life a living hell for the offensive line of Ranoria. The only other points Ranoria managed were another field goal by Barry Chlorid in the early third quarter to tie the score and bring his mark to 2/3 on the game. Maybe, just maybe, the Corps defense had one more stop in them.

Beck was mulling over these thoughts from the game when he heard the crowd suddenly erupt. He snapped his head to the field and his heart sank. Vice Jackson III had gotten loose, Beck didn't see how, but suddenly the veteran Kraut back was streaking through the middle of the field. Maybe Ivan Arkwright could get there to stop him in field goal range? No, VJ3 delivered a wicked stiff arm, and suddenly there were no black shirts between Jackson and the end zone.

This was it, Beck thought. He watched with a curled lip of frustration as Jackson zoomed along the sideline right in front of him. To Beck's surprise, a split second later, another player rushed past him. It was none other than Prokopios Vortigern Rooijakkers, chasing down VJ3 like a missile bearing down on a fighter jet. The half-Ranorian, half-Drawkian college star gave every ounce of strength he had to close the gap, and at the ten yard line, he got him. Jackson had probably snuck a look at the video board on his run and saw Proko coming, so he tucked the ball and made sure to fall in bounds.

Proko had saved the day for now, but the Corps defense had to make another stand. Time was running short, and Ranoria still had the ball 1st and Goal. Beck almost wished that Proko had let Jackson score, so that he could at least get the ball back with some time. But now, the defense needed to make something, anything, happen.

Suddenly, Jack Hoy was up in Beck's face.

"Hey dude." Hoy gave Beck a shove. Even though Hoy was shorter (and pretty short by Drawkian athlete standards), he was looking imposing and doing his best to stare Beck in the eyes. "This is our time. This is YOUR time. I don't give a shit about that pick you threw, I don't give a shit about going 1/5 in the zone. You're a veteran, you're a goddamn monster on that turf. If you get the ball back, and you will get the ball back, you need to go out there and show them who the fuck you are. Don't let that farmboy have the last laugh. We are not going home tonight. You hear me? NOT TONIGHT."

Beck didn't say anything, but he did nod and furrow his brow.

"I want you to take that interception you just threw and chuck it in the garbage," Hoy continued. "Take that garbage, roll it to the curb, let the garbage man take it away, and forget about it. When, not if, WHEN we get this ball back, I need you to sling that ball like you're wearing Skyhawk Gold. I need the Cropduster to buzz this field like no tomorrow."

"I'm on it." Beck broke into a grin. "You know what Dak always said?"

"If we got the ball, we got a chance!" Hoy slugged Beck in the shoulder. "That's what I'm talking about!"

The conversation between the Corps vets had taken enough time that Ranoria had already run a play, a run by Apollo Esther that went nowhere. Beck and Hoy moved down the sideline to get a closer look. Vice Jackson III had rested a down and came back in for second down ... he got the ball to the five.

"Here we go D! Here we go! This is it right here!" Hoy hopped up and down, hoping to send some of his boundless energy to the defensive line. 3rd and Goal, the Krauts would have one last chance to get paydirt before settling for a field goal to take the lead.

John Garrett knew it was time to make it happen. The Krauts came up to the five yard line, Eric van Geel in the backfield to Garrett's left. The heavily pro-Ranoria crowd was trying their best to keep quiet while the still large Drawkian contingent did their best to neutralize their efforts with all the noise they could muster. Beck, Hoy, and the rest of the Grid Corps watched with bated breath.

Leo Cross on the defensive line looked at the backfield, saw van Geel, and frowned to himself. His instincts were telling him something. He shifted in his three point stance. As Garrett went into his cadence, he kicked his leg like a bull about to charge.

The ball was snapped. Garrett got the ball in shotgun, and turned to his left to toss to van Geel. He unloaded the pass a moment too soon. As soon as the ball left his hand, he noticed Leo Cross blowing Tyler Williams up off the snap. The ball landed in van Geel's hands, he turned to look upfield, and took two steps before realizing a beast was lurking. Cross slammed with the force of a freight train directly into van Geel's torso.

The ball popped free.

The stadium erupted into a chaotic mess as soon as the pigskin flew backwards from van Geel's grasp to the turf. Stan Jefferson, the linebacker, had seen Cross's break and went to back him up. He was running at speed when the ball came loose, and he went to recover it in stride. Garrett would chase down Jefferson and pull him down, but the damage had been done.

The Grid Corps would have one more chance to end it in regulation.

As the sideline celebrated, Beck quietly pumped his first and went to grab his helmet. Jack Hoy was right. It was time to make something happen. It didn't matter that there was a mere 1:36 left on the clock. It didn't matter that Beck had thrown a pick on the last drive. It didn't matter that they were playing Ranoria, in Ranoria, they were going to get this dub.

To the horror of the Ranorians in attendance, Beck went on to captain a beautiful two minute drill. Eight passes, seven completions, and four first downs later, the Corps sat one play away from putting David Merit into comfortable field goal range. The stout Kraut defense was going into their last stand. The secondary was clamping down, the front seven ready to send a blitz at Beck. They wanted to send it to overtime.

Beck saw that blitz coming and grinned to himself. As soon as he snapped the ball, he stuck in the pocket as long as he could, sidestepped an overpursuing Abram Fairbanks, and took off. Before the Krauts could close in, he slid ten yards downfield for the first down, called the timeout, and pumped his fist at his sideline. He had done his job, and now it was time for the killing blow.

David Merit, though he missed a chip shot earlier, came and made the kick with ice in his veins. Drawkland wins. Ranoria loses. Now on to the double rubber against Kriegiersien.
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon May 23, 2022 11:58 am

CannabisCorp Field of Green, New Quebec, Ranoria
World Bowl 44 Playoffs, First Round
Ranoria vs Drawkland

You can imagine the uncharacteristic silence in the Field of Green as the score became final. This game was over - as was Ranoria's bid at not only winning the World Bowl at home, but becoming the first threepeat champion in history. Ranoria's two biggest stars on offense stood in the middle of the sideline, a bit shellshocked that this had happened.

"Where the hell were these guys last time around?" John Garrett winced as an earlier hit from Leo Cross made itself known again.

"Well John," Farmer slung his arm over the quarterback's shoulder with just the trace of a smile, "Not the way we wanted to go out, but hey, still better than Jawara when those clowns hosted this thing." He, of course, was referencing World Bowl 34, when Banija had hosted the tournament and failed to qualify.

Garrett didn't even mention World Bowl 37, where Banija had indeed qualified and made one hell of a run - that was unimportant after all.

"Fair enough. So I'll see you in Indianapolis this summer?" John asked. Farmer, who'd declined his fifth year player-option with the Dietrich Dynamos, was a free agent. And while only those two and Farmer's wife knew his shortlist, the decision was pretty obvious.

"Rhine got me two titles," the superstar tight end offered, "I expect at least that many from the best quarterback in the world." Johnny Farmer glanced up to where Dustin Beck was celebrating with the rest of the Grid Corps.

"Well, arguably now, I guess."

John Garrett shoved his longtime best friend away from him. It was a loss, and a painful one - but their legacies were far from written.
Lumi is my NS mom

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Mon May 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Quarterfinal Cutoff for this half! Just three more games!

Quarterfinal Results (scorinated by SNL)

#1 Ko-oren 30–0 #4 Anthor
@Salvation Arena, Herot, Ranoria (69,757)

#7 Kriegiersien 27–26 #3 Drawkland
@Adelhard Dynamics Dome, Pittsburgh, Ranoria (87,300)

Semifinal Matchup (scorinated by SNL)

#1 Ko-oren - #7 Kriegiersien
@Karmin-Falce Superdome, Ranoria City, Ranoria (121,450)
Last edited by South Newlandia on Mon May 23, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 pm

Still dealing with the 'Rona, which I mention not for sympathy points but as an apology - this is far below my usual standard of RPs.
World Bowl 44 - Round of Sixteen
Team            1Q  2Q  3Q  4Q  OT  |  Tot  
Chromatika 0 7 7 6 3 | 23
Saint Kanye 7 3 7 3 0 | 20
1Q
10:11 STK TD - Bruce Dobler 11 yard pass from R. J. Linetti (James Rasputin Kick)

2Q
09:48 STK FG - James Rasputin 39 yard Field Goal
01:41 CMT TD - Alessandra Mio 41 yard pass from Sarai Gwenderyn (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

3Q
13:28 STK TD - R. J. Linetti 33 yard run (James Rasputin Kick)
09:30 CMT TD - Lana Rhodes 28 yard run (Dwayne Markseon Kick)

4Q
03:11 STK FG - James Rasputin 48 yard Field Goal
00:19 CMT TD - Niles Gwivern 2 yard pass from Sarai Gwenderyn (Dwayne Markseon missed PAT)

OT
1OT CMT FG - Dwayne Markson 38 yard Field Goal

Venue: EVU Field, Elephant Valley, South Newlandia(7,000)
Dwayne Markseon willed for Sarai Gwenderyn and co. to score.

They'd lost the Overtime coin toss, which was always heralded as a bad omen, though it could be argued that the worst luck of all had happened at the end of the fourth quarter when he, Dwayne Markseon, had unexplainably shanked the extra point wide-left to send the game to overtime, to the dismay of all the Chromatik fans and the applause of all the Surge fans in the audience.

The hold had been good - Nellie was a perfectionist. His contact had been good, as well. The problem, then, was with the follow-through - he had hesitated a single moment, and that had led to this result.

However, the game continued to go the way it had - both Quarterbacks, Sarai Gwenderyn and R. J. Linetti, being stymied by great defenses - except for singular moments that had made it so that the score was 20-20.

As Sarai took to the huddle with a 3rd-and-6 from the 21, his Kicking Coach, the special kicking coach that had been brought in as a surprise to everyone for this campaign, the best kicker in Chromatik history, jogged down to him.

"You need to regain yourself," came the calm yet firm voice of Sara McAllister Drumov, "Mistakes happen. I've had extra points blocked before. Field Goals that sailed into the wind. You need to learn from it and get ready for the next one. Can you do that?"

She put a hand on his shoulder.

"The wind is blowing slightly from the southeast. You shouldn't have any issues. Sarai is going to be told to not pass up the points if she can help it. This is under forty - you're great from the range. Left hash. We ran this in practice twenty times this wee. You've got this, all right?"

Then, before she could be overbearing, she patted him on the shoulder and jogged off to his thoughts, the perfect coach that she was.

Sure enough, Sarai Gwenderyn didn't force the ball into double coverage, instead throwing it away. R. J. Linetti and co. had only managed to avoid a three and out four times, after all. The Iron Legion's defense had shown its teeth, and getting a field goal to start overtime wouldn't be bad, not if it also meant getting their kicker's head screwed back on straight.

As he jogged onto the field, he saw Vera James, the Special Teams Coordinator, give him a thumbs up. Nellie Katt looked at him with confidence. The long snapper, Kaia James, swore (something most Chromatiks don't do), "Nobody is getting f*cking close to ya."

The snap was perfect. Hold? Pristine. Protection held without issue. Dwayne Markseon planted his left foot and swung his right, making sure to follow through.

The ball sailed through the uprights, a picture of perfection.

As he heaved a sigh of relief, he looked toward the sideline to see Sara McAllister Drumov with two thumbs up, beaming at him.

It ended up being the deciding margin after the inside linebacker tandem of Park Mi-Hyeon and Jere Rinaldi combined for a strip-tackle of Noah Sherman up the middle, and Chromatika had defeated the Saint Kanye Surge for the first time and returned to the World Bowl Quarterfinals.

Their next opponents? The Delaclava Phoenix and their Superstar Quarterback, Taurus Wright. Although everyone is talking about the matchup between Sarai Gwenderyn and Taurus Wright, Eustace Hampton, Jr., is more focused on the defensive side of the ball.

"It may come down once again to which defense limits the superstar QB more," he stated in the post-match interview, "It'll be a war."

At least the Iron Legion will head into it knowing that they have a Kicker that's been tested in trials.
Last edited by Chromatika on Tue May 24, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports