NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 88- Roleplay Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Thu May 13, 2021 5:04 am

Greetings, compatriots!
As you, dear viewers, undoubtedly already know, our expert correctly assumed that the 3d format will not do without surprises this time. AI, that TTV uses to calculate data, has always had a tendency to make strange decisions when faced with something incomprehensible. This time he outdid himself. It was expected that he might lose his mind when calculating the match with Sylestone, but he dropped out even earlier, which is why we had to watch first WCQ round in a classic 2d format. The team's game, however, did not get any worse from that, the duel with Tequilo brought the lads three such necessary points. Perhaps, at the finish line they will cost much more. But this is still a long way off. And today we have an unexpected guest. The FA CEO turned out to be unavailable, Kerr left for the training camp with his club, and the head coach of the national team agreed to satisfy our need for communication personally, who in recent years almost did not give interviews. So, we welcome to the studio the person to whom we owe the fame in the world and those unforgettable days after winning the BoF.

M.T.: It’s certainly not me that we owe the fame. I did not suggest any special scheme of the game. Absolutely any coach in my place would play about the same. And you also attribute the victory to me in vain, we didn’t fight with the coach of our opponents on swords or clubs. To a large extent the victory is a merit of the players. I was not present at field at all ( both laughs ).

T.R.: Would any coach play in the same way? The national team, if I'm not mistaken, changed the game pattern twice ...

M.T.: I think I'm put it right. Remember what all our athletes in different sports took to the field with. All of them played fast, combinationally, spectacularly. Someone then moved on to more pragmatic approaches, while others continue to act as they did. But again, everyone started in the same style. Rugby players, hockey players ... even water polo players ... with no experience, no clearly understanding what to wait for, but still you have to play as beautifully as possible.

T.R.: Oh well. Now you - as the FA CEO explained to us - are bringing up a whole group of players and practicing a new tactical scheme. Why now?

M.T.: This is the second try, remember? Do you remember how the first push ended? I will remind you. I then threw the newcomers into the battle and we suffered several idiotic and illogical defeats. It's good that these were only a couple of friendly matches. One of them ended 4:7! Then I tried defensive system at the Cup of Harmony and we were one step away from relegation in the group stage. It was clear that both processes required consistency and patience.

T.R.: And what has changed?

M.T.: I talked a lot with the coaches, we with FA held a number of training camps to discuss the most important issues. It was not easy for new ideas to find supporters, I honestly admit. But in the end, new faces appeared in the team again. Let's see who is capable of what, but it seems to me that the results of the process itself are encouraging. Not sports results yet, but the process itself.

T.R.: We recently did an interview with your colleague and colleague, so he suggested that there is some kind of failure in the psychology of our players, which is why they break down when fate unfairly offends them. Your opinion?

M.T.: I have to agree that there is probably something of this kind. For my part, I drew attention to this even in our first qualifying campaign. But so far I cannot find a way to find this defect, adequately define it and develop an effective antidote. However, work is already underway on this at the highest level, the brightest minds and experts in psychology are joined hunt. Practice shows that there is very little in the world that our people are unable to cope with if they take things properly. In our local championship, such a things does not happen, everyone is fighting, which means that this is something unusual, connected with the conditions of international competitions.

T.R.: How do you like recent match of the tournament if it seen from the bench?

M.T.: In two ways. We won, which is good, but we also won and won matches in the Indian Cup, and then the lads just did not come to their senses after highly unexpected failure. Let's remember the last qualifying tournament with its disgusting refereeing (and throw unkind words at them) - this was not the last factor in the psychological breakdown. The quality of the game itself was pleasing, but this penalty, the first in five seasons not converted into a goal, was, of course, a traumatic episode. It's good that we were already score and that Kerr did not change anything with this failure. Well, the fact that Tequilo seriously pressed us even when they are having only ten men is an excuse to give up loud shouts of joy and beating drums. I must add, nevertheless, that we need loud shouts and beating drums literally. Our fans is having our great appreciation, they are responsible for a really big chunk of merit for this victory.

T.R.: In five qualifying tournaments, the team never started with a defeat ...

M.T.: Yes, and did not lose at home for several seasons. And in the recent WCQ, we suffered as many defeats in her field as in all the previous ones, despite a good game. Let's not wait for statistics to somehow predetermine everything by itself.

T.R.: Implementing a new scheme is always stressful. And although the team concedes less, lads also score less...

M.T.: And it is true. But still, we do not deviate from our manner of playing. No one understand us if we crowd at our gates, even when the opponents is clearly stronger.

T.R.: In the last match, attention to defense came in handy. How did you like the actions of the defence?

M.T.: Again, it is twofold thing. The hosts showed a very serious perseverance, despite such circumstances, and it's not good that we gave them chances, and did not push the game to the center of the field. But in general the lads doing well. The guys from Tequilo have always been distinguished by their perseverance and persistence in attack, so leave their field without goals conceded is a very good result. However, let's see how the defenders hold on in future.

T.R.: But still, many feared that since you tried a new game scheme with new players, the old ones might not fit into it. How does it feel in the end?

M.T.: In the last three tournaments, I have been constantly shuffling the players in the back line, while leaving the formation and tactic scheme unchanged. You see the result. Although soon we will have to change something, otherwise the rivals will soon adapt and come up with ways to counter.

T.R.: The question, of course, is banal, but still: will there be new faces in the team in the near future?

M.T.: As soon as I see a player demonstrating a stable high-quality game, I will immediately give him a chance. But only on condition that it is exactly stable and of high quality. People who know how to get together for two or three great matches only are also sometimes very useful, but still we work for the long term.

T.R.: Several people who have already donned the national team jersey expressed their intention to try their luck abroad, in the hope of improving their skills. What do you think about it?

M.T.: I don’t really understand yet what will come of it. Yes, I am aware that two players who were previously involved in the games of the national team have publicly expressed their desire to take the opportunity to move to foreign clubs. I wish them the best of luck, although it seems to me that with the current order in the global transfer system, they have a bigger chance to get lost rather than become famous. But I promise, as long as my powers as a head coach are in force, I will closely monitor every player who goes abroad. Finnsnes has accumulated some qualities there that distinguish him from the rest of the team, maybe it will work out like that in other cases.

T.R.: When your powers run out, what will you do?

M.T.: I'll get drunk, smash windows, vandalize cars and shops, bully passers-by, and do so every day, and when police interfered, refer to my great achievements as a reason why I must be not arrested. ( both laughs ). It would be interesting to return to club football, and maybe work abroad.

T.R.: But if you are offered a multimillion-dollar contract from the Nephara League while retaining the authority of the national team coach, what will you do?

M.T.: I will thank and refuse. One of the leading leagues is, of course, a prestigious place, but the responsibility is also great. Can I let people, who have high hopes for our cooperation, down, and not tell them that going into club football in completely new circumstances can be very difficult, even painful. And these hypotetic club-owners are probably will be eager to have quick successes. Also it’s almost impossible to be effective manager of both teams. Even concerns of national team alone definitely can boil brains, but two teams at once is too heavy for me.

T.R.: And if, on the other hand, the BoF debutants offer you the post of their coach?

M.T.: It would be an interesting experience. Probably. But I will also refuse. Too much depends on luck in such tournaments, and knowing that you are not to blame, and that the team has lost, is also so-so pleasure. But this is all theory. All my thoughts are focused on the next game and the prospects of our team.

T.R.: Thank you very much for the interview and good luck to our guys in the next matches!

Sharktail
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sharktail » Thu May 13, 2021 6:06 am

SHARKTAIL POST EP 49
PAST IS PAST, NEXT IS REAL.

Zeta Reka-2
Gal '12
Kolarowic '68(Jad)

Sharktail-2
Gaby '43
Virman '84

X1:Asra(GK) • Harold • Yusri(Harizul '58) • Hidawi • Danial • Chandra • Nik Akif • Azaim • Rawilson • Gaby(c) • Haziq(Virman '73)

The curtain of World Cup Qualification 88 has opened. Various results can be witnessed. Expected, surprise, it all happened in the opening match. The focus is on the Sharktail squad that travels to the Zeta Reka National Sports Complex to face the Zeta Reka and Hügeltaldom. As expected from the beginning, both teams were seen to be on par and the result ended in a 2-2 draw.

Before the kickoff, prediction have been spread in social media about this match. If the match look at the nation rank, Zeta Reka rank higher than Sharktail by 13 in different. So, not bad to say the favour more to Zeta Reka. However, many also expect this match end in draw with likely winning for Zeta Reka if that happen. No harm to Sharktail fans, the higher ranked teams will always get their advantage in this matter, eventhough it may be true or not.

First time being a manager for Sharktail national team, ofcourse it will be a bit nervous for Carrol. Carrol who have been around managing all level of Sharktail NT squad, believe in his instinct and his starting X1 no different than when Sahami regime still around. For Sharktail NT squad, the main player,or anyone would likely say the key player, all can guessed it will be Gaby. Zoloroni City striker, Gaby who have become a key part of this team from the start, will 100% be the main character for today as well. Even form before start of this tourney, everyone already expect something from him. A trusted goalscorer, with both foot finishing ability. his versatile already caught the attention from Zeta Reka team. However, in last few edition, there are one more star in the making have come out of nowhere and play at his best right now. Just 24 y.o, this edition, will Azaim be the new guys in spotlight and take the main character role from Gaby. His name quite famous lately. After being able to be in top level league, he always be considered the key of the team. Everyone has put their hope, their dream, their expectations on him. Dont know how he will react from all this buzz around him, his performance this time will be the measurement.

Held in Zeta Reka National Sport Complex, the official home venue for their national team, both most lined up their best eleven. Zeta Reka first opened up the goal scored by Gal from a shot in the penalty area. Sharktail back tied the game after 43rd minutes, scored by Gaby from a direct free kick. 68 minute past, Zeta Reka back leading the game, start from corner kick taken by Jad headed in by Kolarowic. Virman, come in as the sub, save Sharktail after taping in the ball Wukowic fail to catch it properly. End of the match, Sharktail come home share 1 point with Zeta Reka.

Two time Sharktail back to tied the game, it at least can show Sharktail not have too much problem with attacking. However, it not too bad situation after for give Zeta Reka score two goal. Carrol after the match admit about this.

"Not too good, but not too bad. We give them goal. But, it not look like they make a mistake. For me, both goal happen because of the quality showed by Zeta Reka play. They adapt with short possession game. A bit on mine too. I not really figured out this before the match. For me in this match, i too focussed on attacking and leave the defend side with hole. So, we will review the game back. A lot of mistake, no matter from me or from the player we need to take alert. We have more match to come, and remember, there were more higher ranked team than Zeta Reka. So, it need to be correct as soon as we witness it. The next two match, we will face Ziwana and Pius Desurongcrandis, so we need to take this match as mist win. Next two game, 6 full point, that my target." said Carrol with ambition.

Sharktail will welcome Ziwana to Stadium Biru for first home match before fly to Pius for the third match of group 5. Two important game, 6 important point. This two game, Sharktail surely will treat it as must win match. While they respecting their opponet as a tough opponet, they will take all the chance and advantage to get a win from both match. Go Wi Go Sharktail.

X1 vs Ziwana:
Asra(GK) • Harold • Yusri • Hidawi • Irfan
Chandra • Nik Akif • Azaim • Rawilson
Gaby(c) • Haziq

X1 vs Pius:
Ahmad(GK) • Harold • Harizul • Hidawi • Haizul •Rafdi • Badhri • Azaim • Rawilson
Gaby(c) • Virman
NSSport Roleplayer | Melayu Archipelago Member

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 am

The Turnip: Several national football teams accused of microdosing
by Billiam Maskey, chief-editor-in-chief

The Turnip is saddened to report that the Abanhfleft national football team is one of many teams that we have discovered to be microdosing the drug called Ripperonin, or RP for short.

The ancient drug of RP was discovered behind the sofa of the WCC's President's second pet's lounge room during World Cup 9 and has been allegedly used since then to influence the outcome of matches that are of significant international importance. Like World Cup qualifying matches. Or the matchup that I saw behind a dumpster between two sewer rats fighting over the carcass of a dead pigeon. Or even the matches at the Norp World Cup, which is a World Cup that is also a football World Cup, but not the same as this football World Cup, obviously. In that tournament, performance enhancing RP is not allowed, but non-performance enhancing RP is allowed, rendering that whole exercise quite pointless.

Players who took this drug have reportedly experienced mild hallucinations, including one reporting that they have experienced living in a spirit world where they interacted with and seduced Margaret, the false god of randomness. Another said that they received visions of a man or a woman, hunched over a computer or laptop, filling out spreadsheets and then pressing a black die that mysteriously ordains the outcomes of football matches. A third said that they've received visions of a person, perhaps a man, or a woman, chuckling at Turnip articles while on the phone reading the events of the current match day.

Indeed, I've walked past many people observing the match on a screen outside Centralis Arena that have said, "Good Lord, what is happening in there?" Whereupon the other individual would reply, "An Abanhfleft draw," to which the first person would counter with, "An Abanhfleft draw. At this time of year. At this time of day. In this part of the country. Localised entirely within Centralis Arena!?!?" And then the second person would say, "Yes."

That's how incredulous people are about this outcome, and it's high time that Abanhfleft admit that its egregious and fanatical devotion to RP must be stopped, so that nations like Electrum, who deserve to win, will win again. Indeed, we can only surmise that any nation that manages to draw or defeat Electrum, while ranked beneath Electrum, must be suspected of abusing this drug, and the World Cup Committee must punish them to the fullest extent by taking away their drugs and declaring that instead of being "high on drugs" they can only be "high on life".

And there are other nations that have been caught microdosing several times in this World Cup qualifying so far. Take those monks from The Holy Empire. They microdose RP a lot all the time, and you can that by their high dollar vocabulary and posh accent. They usually speak in tongues to talk to the gods, but on the rare occasion they don't, they say bizarre things such as "How now Brown Cow", "indubitably" and "thank you very much indeed." No one quite knows why they use five words to thank someone when just one word ('Thank.') would suffice.

We will have more on this story as it develops, but let's just say that Drawkland's 4-3 victory over Garbelia wasn't merely a fluke.
Last edited by Electrum on Thu May 13, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Atheara
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheara » Thu May 13, 2021 7:26 am

Accusing An Accusation

Type: Announcement
Time: 13th - 14th May

Electrum's News Website coherrently named The Turnip has reported that they have discovered many National Teams to be microdosing the drug called Ripperonin, or RP for short. Based on the reports from The Turnip, here is the Information they have officially stated on their website, just now. And we will try to deduct this accusation, as Atheara is one of the many accused teams.

Electrum, The Turnip wrote:The ancient drug of RP was discovered behind the sofa of the WCC's President's second pet's lounge room during World Cup 9 and has been allegedly used since then to influence the outcome of matches that are of significant international importance. Like World Cup qualifying matches. Or the matchup that I saw behind a dumpster between two sewer rats fighting over the carcass of a dead pigeon. Or even the matches at the Norp World Cup, which is a World Cup that is also a football World Cup, but not the same as this football World Cup, obviously. In that tournament, performance enhancing RP is not allowed, but non-performance enhancing RP is allowed, rendering that whole exercise quite pointless.

Players who took this drug have reportedly experienced mild hallucinations, including one reporting that they have experienced living in a spirit world where they interacted with and seduced Margaret, the false god of randomness. Another said that they received visions of a man or a woman, hunched over a computer or laptop, filling out spreadsheets and then pressing a black die that mysteriously ordains the outcomes of football matches. A third said that they've received visions of a person, perhaps a man, or a woman, chuckling at Turnip articles while on the phone reading the events of the current match day.

There have been suspicions of Atheara using this drug for their players ever since the Round of 16 in the Baptism of Fire, and now we will say the truth. Yes, we did use it. However, the drug has been mainly used as a resistance pill, due to the fact that during the time, Atheara had only a few substitutes for the Baptism of Fire, and now even though we picked more players for the World Cup Qualification, it is still used to help sustain injuries if any were to happen.

Something else was also stated in their post.
Electrum, The Turnip wrote:That's how incredulous people are about this outcome, and it's high time that Abanhfleft admit that its egregious and fanatical devotion to RP must be stopped, so that nations like Electrum, who deserve to win, will win again. Indeed, we can only surmise that any nation that manages to draw or defeat Electrum, while ranked beneath Electrum, must be suspected of abusing this drug, and the World Cup Committee must punish them to the fullest extent by taking away their drugs and declaring that instead of being "high on drugs" they can only be "high on life".

The fact that they state that Abanhfleft to declare that their devotion to RP must be stopped is not good, as they have the right to use RP under special circumstances, the fact that they state the line in bold, offends any nation that is able to draw or defeat Electrum, that does not commit themselves to using this drug, is able to be considered outrageous. And for this exact reason, Atheara declares that Electrum themselves are high on life, because? Football as we all know it is a sport where upsets can happen due to randomness. And by stating that, they claim that any nation that is able to go toe to toe with them, should be suspected of drug usage or unfair play, and should be punished.

This has also started a bit of an uproar in Atheara, thanks for that...
We see you all for the match between Atheara and Adab.

I have no idea what i just wrote, so TG me if you want to make me do some changes, i am not good with detailed shit like this, okay?

And i might have started a controversy with this post, and if so, sorry!
A T H E A R A | A N A I A
"I'm not sure about being as obvious as other people."
Football
Jenna Raven Cup I Champions!
3rd in the 75th Baptism of Fire!

Ice Hockey
3rd in the 19th World Junior Hockey Championships!
Ro32 in the 47th World Cup of Hockey
If you were wondering, the girl on my flag is Vill V from Honkai Impact 3rd. Your welcome.

Eraman
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eraman » Thu May 13, 2021 7:59 am

CHAPTER 3
ACQUI BOLLENTE

In the eighth month of the year 79, I was asked by the prime minister to come to his house. I rushed to his house that I had not visited for a long time because I went abroad a lot with him that year.

The one I remember the most was the time we went to Acqui Bollente. I was sponsored by an entrepreneur who owns a clothing factory in Arupura. This clothing entrepreneur has met Tun for two purposes. The first was to suggest to Tun to open a shop selling clothes and promote the clothing brands he manufactures through contract manufacturing with various reputable companies. The second purpose is to get any financial assistance from various government agencies.

Tun, on the other hand, really likes to entertain successful entrepreneurs. The clothing entrepreneur was asked to develop a row of new shops in Tun's constituency. Tun also asked him to make a program for single mothers in his constituency so that they can become entrepreneurs who will be mentored by the clothing entrepreneur.

Most importantly, when Tun needed me to be with him for any official or unofficial visits abroad, anyone who at that time wanted to approach Tun and get close to him had to bear my fare and expenses. I'm simple, I will not spend my own money to be where Tun will be. This probably shows my nature as a lawyer who would only raise a hand if paid.

The visit to Acqui Bollente that I followed was in conjunction with the first match of the Eraman national football team in the 88th World Cup qualifying round against Savigliane. We went to Saviglane with the national team delegation of which Tun is the president. The 5-day visit includes an official dinner hosted by the Eraman embassy in Savigliane. That was the official program. Informal programs include shopping and visiting various resorts in and around Acqui Bollente.

We arrived 2 days before the match where the national team players were to undergo light training and get used to the weather in Savigliane. Tun told me that the officials did not have any official schedule on that day. Since there was no program, Tun and I with Tun's friend, a logging tycoon went for a walk around Acqui Bollente going in and out of the mall and shopping. Actually, they were shopping. I just watched them.

The official dinner organized by the Eraman embassy was held the day after. Tun promised the players that they will get a lucrative bonus if they can get anything from the match against Savigliane. It was an important match for Tun as it was the election year and the performance of the national team in the World Cup qualifying campaign will be crucial.

Savigliane is ranked 41 in the KPB ranking and they were the third-highest ranked nation in the same group as Eraman behind Commonwealth of Baker Park and Taeshan. So any point collected from the match can be considered a success.

And during the match, the players delivered. They held Savigliane to a 2-2 draw. Tun was very happy and the next 2 days in Acqui Bollente were crazy. Tun was in a celebration mood and we party hard. All sponsored by the prime minister himself. What an experience that was.

The reason Tun asked me to come to his house was to discuss a very confidential secret, the date of the election. It was not announced to the public yet but Tun already had a date in mind which is as I predicted, on the eleventh month of the year, on the same day as the home match against Igratia.
Trigramme: ERM | Demonym: Eramanian | Population: 14,753,910
Info: Wiki | Sports: Liga Eraman

Daulapura Daily
- based in Daulapura, the royal capital
- government-owned and ruling party propaganda
- support Royal Daulapura FC
Eraman Journal
- based in Anara, the capital city
- by the peasants, for the peasants (actually by the millionaires, for the masses)
- support Anara FC

Eshialand
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 am

The Eshian Response to the Turnip's Report

King William I steps up to the podium in the Eshian House of Parliament. He takes some papers out of his pocket and proceeds to read from them.

a-HEM!

"So, a story has recently broken in the Electrumite news journal the Turnip that states that many teams across the soccer-playing world have been microdosing a drug known as Ripperonin, or RP for short. I just have to say that IT'S ALL TRUE!

"We didn't use RP in the group stage of the Baptism of Fire, and look what happened. We went 2-1-1! There was no way we were winning the tournament he we didn't find some sort of advantage! So, I latched on to a strange superstition that they had, which stated that their yellow kits brought them victory. So I thought 'hey, what if that were true?'

"I had new kits made for them, just the yellow aways, and I laced them with skin-absorbable RP. Eshialand went from a team that was bound to be eliminated no later than the quarterfinals to a championship-winning side thanks to the drugs.

"Since I commissioned our new kits from Tahuatxi, there has been no RP abuse. I can confidently say that everything starting with the 2-0 stunner against IAQ was all because of our men and women on the pitch.

"I an frankly shocked that the Electrumite authorities never noticed this drug abuse that was occurring right under their noses in three of their best stadiums. They should be reprimanded for not finding out sooner.

"Do I regret what I did? Absolutely. Every single day. That's why Eshialand has teamed up with our friends in Central Antarctic Peninsula to host the Norp World Cup, to atone for our sins.

"The brainy scientists in the Islands of Ventro have actually come up with a revolutionary substance known as Negativerpamide, which not only nullifies the effects of RP, but reacts with it in such a way that it makes it detrimental to your play. The soccer federations of Eshialand and Central Antarctic Peninsula have yet to reach a decision on whether to put this substance in the water supplies to the team hotels.

"So yes, we used RP, but never again will we circumvent the rules... so blatantly."

"Aaaand CUT!"

"Everyone's gonna have a laugh when they hear this!"

"Fighting satire with satire was one of the best decisions you've ever made, Your Highness!"

"Wasn't it, Mr. O'Malley?"
Last edited by Eshialand on Thu May 13, 2021 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anything I say is IC unless proven otherwise by a court of law.

(he/him/any/all)

St Trinians
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby St Trinians » Thu May 13, 2021 8:44 am

Frankie Tipton stumbled around the change rooms, eyes wide. Amy Pepperpot watched her with concern. Since Frankie’s overdose at the Baptism of Fire, she had been careful to monitor Frankie’s drug use. She wasn’t normally this bad, but it seems she had taken a little too much.
“See that she gets home safely.” Amy told Ilsa De Grandhomme, the only other person in the room.

Ilsa nodded, and escorted Frankie outside. Amy sighed. The last thing she needed was another player in hospital. It had been quite a match.
In terms of the football, it had been relatively boring. Granger had employed her usual playstyle without much success, and even Speight and Appleton had missed chances. Thankfully the Busogans had not been much more accurate. Add in a few good saves from Becket and Taal and the result was a dull, scoreless first half. Things in the second were about to get a lot more interesting though.

Firstly Appleton scored. The 20,000 St Trinians who had come to National Stadium for the first time responded in typical fashion: by a flash of wild and unruly behaviour. Several flares were lit, with one narrowly missing Taal as it was thrown onto the pitch. Excitement, paired with what was probably a lot of alcohol, resulted in several fights. With the conflict in the stands not affecting the play on the pitch, and with no police force to break them up, play simply continued while the people in the stands slugged each other or got out of the way. This was fairly normal for a football match in St Trinians, and none of the local team took much notice.
Things got more chaotic though, when Miracle Butler hip-bumped Delbin Kasekende Jr. off the ball. By St Trinians standards, it was an innocuous knock, but Kasekende came up swinging. He launched himself at Miracle, swearing his head off. Unfortunately for him, Essie Gardner was right behind him. She grabbed Delbin around the neck and slung him to the ground, only to be set on by two Busogans who rushed in to protect their player.

It was about this point that the first St Trinians fans jumped on to the pitch. Many of them brandished weapons, and they had fire in their eyes. Many of the Busogans started to run away, only to find their way blocked by more angry St Trinians. That was when the army started firing.

The Royal Army of St Trinians was officially the country’s defence force, but in reality acted as the personal army of the Matriarch. With concerns over the safety of foreign players and fans, and in expectation of clashes, the Matriarch had ordered the RAST to provide protection for all World Cup qualifying matches at National Stadium. Fights in the crowd were one thing, but their orders were only to protect those on the pitch, as well as those in the away fans section. So when the pitch invasion happened, the army’s plan was put into action. Smoke grenades, tear gas, batons, swords, and volleys of both lethal and non-lethal ammunition were used to drive the pitch invaders away, as the players, staff, and officials were rushed inside. The match was delayed for about half an hour while the chaos subsided.

When the smoke settled, Amy began to take stock of the situation. Butler and Gardner both received red cards naturally enough, as had Kasekende Jr. Temperance Porter had also been given her marching orders for knocking out Cicek Aga. Then there was the injury list: Butler had a concussion, Dottie Carmicheal had a gash above her eye where she’d been hit by a falling bottle, and Appleton had a cut lip. The worst injury on the St Trinians side was Becket, who’d been accosted by a drunk fan who apparently didn’t recognise her goalkeeper kit as a St Trinian uniform. She’d been battered with a wooden club, leading to a massive bruise on her arm. Amy had sent her for scans and sent Virginia Brassington to the change rooms.

On the Busogan side, Aga had been knocked out, Kasekende, Guennon, and Thiaw had all received various injuries from kicks and punches, and Taal had been exposed to tear gas. But the worst injury was to Sarika Berla. It was only after the smoke had cleared that she was discovered lying unconscious on the pitch. She was immediately rushed to hospital with unspecified injuries.

RAST had cleared most of the crowd from the stands, and the remaining crowd were being kept in order by the threat posed by two military vehicles parked either side of the pitch, with large guns trained on the stands. Generally, that was how the “law” was enforced in this lawless nation. Anyone wishing to impose their will on another should bring a weapon, and hope the other person doesn’t have a bigger one. There might be no formal punishment for murder, but do it and you’d better be prepared to face justice from the deceased’s friends and family. “Might is always right” was both the national motto and its only law.

To the Busogan’s credit, they refused to call off the match. With both teams down players, it was a very different game. Certainly the St Trinians did seem to be playing a lot more cautiously as they tried to defend their slim lead with just 8 players. In the end, it was a task too great without their leading goalkeeper, and Artem Kohut scored to level the game. The result was a 1-all draw, but the cost was in the considerable injury list. No less than 9 players on both sides had been hurt in one way or another. What effect that would have on the longer campaign only time would tell.

Murphtannia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Murphtannia » Thu May 13, 2021 9:33 am

Murphtannia smash Galeanna despite spirited performance

When Murphtannia went into World Cup 88 you’d hope we’d be getting somewhere, 3rd times the charm they say when trying to qualify.

And Murphtannia couldn’t have hoped for a better start to their qualifying campaign. Coming up against Galeanna, who despite being lower ranked, still weren’t a team to be taken for granted.

As the game kicked off on a pleasant day in Galeanna, the sun shining down on the faces of the players, it was a good day to have a football match.

The day got even better when, after 5 minutes, Murphy ran through the Galeannan defence and slotted the ball in the bottom left with a clean strike.

Murphtannia were dominating the game, using a tiki-taka style to pass the ball round Galeannan players without much effort, when after 10 minutes Murphy almost made it 2-0, but the crossbar saved Galeanna.

It was looking like Murphtannia would breeze through, were it not for a spanner in the works, with George Smith smashing a ball into the top right of the net following an excellent attacking move to level the game.

The first half became more even, when just before halftime, Galeanna made it 2-1, following a horrendous error from Ball, allowing Peter Robinson to smash the ball into an empty net.

Despite all the odds Galeanna went into the Second Half 2-1 up.

They started the second half well, 3 shots on target in the first 10 minutes, as Ball made up for his errors with 3 brilliant saves.

But Murphtannia found their way back into the game, Jenkins played a brilliant ball into the path of Saunders who headed the ball into the top right to level the game.

60 minutes, the game was 2-2, Galeanna put up an incredible performance, until James Sterling came off the bench, dribbled easily past 3 Galeannan defenders, before crossing the ball into the path of Murphy who headed it home to make it 3-2 and to send the crowd nuts.

It was only 5 minutes later that Murphy used some impressive footwork to dribble past Reece Burton, before smashing it into the middle of the net, giving Finley Hodgson no chance. A hat trick for Murphy and to make it 4-2.

The weirdest part of the game was when a goat then suddenly ran across the field, followed quickly by a screaming Murphtannian. Who was later found to be the Goat’s owner, and took the goat to every game he went to. He was later quotes as saying “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”

The game was ended when, in the 87th minute, Jenkins rifled a ball from a volley outside the box into the bottom left of the net, making it 5-2 and ending the game.

Despite a spirited performance from Galeanna, they fell short, but we wish them luck in their qualifying campaign as Murphtannia get’s off to the best possible start.

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Squidroidia » Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 am

As per Tradition - Inkopolis

Down in the dumps on Matchday 1. For the Squidroidian national team these past 2 cycles, the pain of losing their first game of qualification has been constant. Whether it was visiting Wymondham or Wreckeria visiting Squidroidia, the national team's tradition of losing their first qualification game has always been there. Krytenia have been suffering through this first hurdle faceplant for countless cycles, whether it was during one of their signature Semi-Final exits or when they won Cup of Harmony 77 (Murphtannia never forgets), and Squidroidia were the latest example of what pundits called "Krytening" - Losing on the first matchday.

From the odds perspective before the game, against higher ranked Huayamarca, it was going to be another krytening - Huayamarca almost made the World Cup last cycle and made the final four of the Cup of Harmony. Squidroidia were Squidroidia, and even if they had home field advantage for the opening matchday of qualification, like last cycle, nothing was guaranteed. It was Adam Johnson's first World Cup qualification game since he was with his native Barunia, and although they did reach the final in the IAC, the loss to Tequilo was, at least for a little bit, going to sting.

With a Huayamarca team that was used to elevation changes from their native homeland, they had a psychological advantage. Squidroidia hadn't traveled to the mountains of Huayamarca, at least not yet, so even with Hideo scoring a shot in the 30th minute, it was all to no avail. Squidroidia, as per tradition, started the campaign with 0 points. A 2-1 loss to a higher ranked opponent, and already on the back foot knowing that just a couple more losses would send them, unless all hell breaks lose, already out of the World Cup. No possible chance to redeem themselves in Cassadaigua or head back to Chromatika where their Baptism of Fire heroics once stood. As per tradition, they lost on Matchday 1.

As the final whistle blew and the teams went off the pitch, the players felt a little bit of deja vu in their steps. They were here before. Right in front of their home crowd, starting off a campaign where they seemed destined to challenge for the top 4 in the table, maybe be in the conversation for qualifying with a mark in the L column. 0 points. Bottom of the food chain at least temporarily. Three times already... Were those gaffers in suits talking about the krytening we had the past 2 times we opened up qualification real? At least for now, it was real. 3 opening games of qualifiers. 0 points. They were on the back foot now.

Interlude - Inkopolis

"A team where we expect nothing".

Adam Johnson's words to the Squidroidian national team as they sat on the plane that would take them to the United states of sonindia were nothing short of finding darkness with no light in sight. The United states of sonindia national team partook in the 75th Baptism of Fire before setting off for the qualifiers, but from the information they could gather from that tournament, the Sonindian manager Samuel Lo had sent a rudimentary team to the tournament. They at least had Frank Gary patrolling the sticks... But the Sonindian roster only had 7 players. At least, 7 players that they have heard of. The 4 additional players that were supposedly sent to make up a 11 player side representing the United states of sonindia, who beat Naufre and drew with the shipmen of Aut-Ves-Nat and eventual Baptism of Fire champions Eshialand, were seemingly lost to time as the team boarded their planes out of Reçueçn.

In the words of Adam Johnson: "We do not know what tricks they may have up their sleeves".

The united states of sonindia could very well send whoever they like to take up the challenge of playing in this World Cup and could very well beat Squidroidia given their chances. You can ask some of the players about that trip to Kulefati for the 86 qualifiers and how that draw felt like something they should forget. For now at least, the Squidroidians had to put that behind them and play this Sonindian national team with all the grit they got. They couldn't possibly lose their 2nd straight game in qualification, right?

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Thu May 13, 2021 10:22 am

A statement from the Ethanian Football Federation

The EFF has been made aware of allegations that some teams have been using a drug known as Ripperonin, or RP, to obtain advantages in international football competitions.

These allegations have been made recently by a news organisation known as 'The Turnip', known for its often humorous takes on football events. However, the accusation of drug usage made by The Turnip is being treated with absolute seriousness, as it strongly affects the game that we love. It's a surprise to us that teams still avoid using Ripperonin, considering it's accessibility for all at no-cost, and the advantages it provides in obtaining good results.

As far as the EFF are aware, most successful teams in football are implicated in the use of Ripperonin. Except for in the earlier World Cups, it's actually been suggested that Ripperonin is necessary to even reach the World Cup itself, with most nations who do not use Ripperonin crashing out in the qualifiers. In fact, Electrum is one of only a few 'bigger' nations that claim not to use Ripperonin. Most teams who do not use this particular drug are found near the bottom of the table in the qualifiers. In some cases, the only mention of them in international lore is their requests to join the World Cup, even if they have no previous record in international football. Most nations, therefore, that refuse to use Ripperonin are unranked, or only have small ranks. In fact, there is a new tournament within international football that bills itself as a Ripperonin-free tournament. We would perhaps suggest that Electrum goes and joins the "No Ripperonin World Cup" if they wish to not use the drug, as they will suffer less disadvantages in that particular tournament.

Ripperonin has become a major part of international football. It's use has been condoned by governing bodies, with the drug accessible to anyone who posts a letter to the World Cup hosts of a particular cycle. Last World Cup, Ethane did in fact provide nations that provided a request with Ripperonin, the number of dosages dependent on the number of requests submitted to the "World Cup 87 Roleplay Thread". For the most part, teams that used Ripperonin more had greater success in the qualifiers and the World Cup. However, the advantages of Ripperonin may have been slightly lessened last cycle due to the use of a different formula compared to previous cycles. This World Cup, the hosts are using a formula produced from a particular framework known as "NSFS", which provides greater Ripperonin advantages to top-ranked teams, and lower-ranked teams who use the drug.

With these allegations coming to light, the EFF will be approaching the Executive World Cup Committee with the matter to try to ward off any protests made by Electrum, or other nations that may feel disadvantaged by certain teams using Ripperonin. The use of this drug internationally is just an evolution of the game, and one that Ethane will be fighting to keep against any opposition.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Thu May 13, 2021 10:39 am

This is from the POV of Buck Moreno, 16 year old Vreton City FC footballer

The Tigers

It was the day before our first match day, all the players were excited. We were having fun, and me being only 16 years old being in a foreign country to represent my nation was a proud moment for me.
The day before the match, I wasn’t sure whether I would play. Most likely not, however considering the season I was having with Vreton City FC my prospects were high.
The day before the match against Al Qurija we were training in the Petro Mohammed Stadium’s Training Complex. I knew I had to put in all my effort if I wanted to play. The manager seemed happy with me, this is when I got the call. A call from my mother, she seemed unhappy and sad about something, I asked her, “Man, Why are you sad?? Has something happened?”. She explained to me that the riots that were taking place in Fermont had affected us too. My parents owned a small tailoring store which was destroyed by the protesters and my father gravely injured. On hearing this news I was distraught and collapsed to tears.
I remember was my father who bought me my first football, it was him who took me to football practices everyday. I was shocked, I wasn’t sure whether I should go home.
The manager Gildiric quickly came as soon as he heard the news, he said, “We are ready to do whatever you need, whether you want to go home or stay, we’ll be by our side.” I was confused and overwhelmed, I had no idea what to do. I told Gildiric that I needed some time to think about it. I knew what I had to do, I had to speak to do the man, who knew what to do in every situation my Pa. I called my mother said to her, “Maa, is Pa awake, I need to speak to him.” My mother said, “Okay, he is weak don’t get him too excited.” I spoke to the wisest man I knew, I asked him what should I do. His assured reply was, “Stay son, you playing on the field means more to me than you being here by my side. Go win make us proud.”
After this my mind was made up, I couldn’t let my father down, he had devoted his whole life to my footballing success. I had to repay him and this was the way to do it. I informed the manager and went on to the field and trained really hard. After training I went to my room and pondered over what was going to happen. On one side I was excited while at the other I was worried about my father.
With a heavy mind I slowly went to sleep, the next day I quickly got up and got ready. The team bus was filled with laughter and excitement. The positive energy could be felt in the air. The team sheet had just been announced and I wasn’t starting, frankly not starting was fine since at a stage like the WCQ expecting a 16 year old to start is naive. However I did expect to be brought on as I was in the friendlies.
We arrived at the Petro Mohammed stadium, and after an hour or hour and half of warm up our players got onto the field along with the Qurija ones. The moment had arrived, it was time us Bollonschians make a mark on the world. I was on the bench for the first half. After a quiet first half we again took the field determined, this time I was out on in place of Cummings. This was my moment to shine, I had to do this for my father. The second half began and there was some encouraging play which is when Lindsey passed the ball to me, seeing space in the centre I played it onto the feet of Marshall. H then after playing a fabulous one two with Hum got a brilliant shot from the edge of the penalty area scoring the goal!! This was the best moment of my life, we all rushed to celebrate, I knew my father would know of how his advice helped me succeed in such a difficult time.
Meh

Adab
Negotiator

Founded: May 28, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Adab » Thu May 13, 2021 10:47 am

A Dance with Football
Snapshots of the lives of the people involved in Adabian football and those associated with them
For a full list of chapters click here

Chapter 18: Em

May 1, 2033
Following the match against Eastfield Lodge

Alulim Sinmuballit sat on the edge of his bed. The lights shone brightly wherever he looked – on the ceiling above and the tables beside him. The night was growing old, the arms of the clock signaling that it was 11:49 p.m. Though his eyes were red and his bones ached he found that he couldn’t get himself to sleep. The TV was off, and the sound of silence was his only friend.

The match against Eastfield Lodge had been a hard one, and though no one with a brain expected Adab to win, at least he could rest assured that he and his teammates had done their best. Mr. Kaykali and The Captain always hammered home to the team that the most important thing was for them to gain experience, to go out there and perform their best. Winning was the objective, yes, but if the team had to lose, then at least make sure to have the dignity of losing after doing their best. Losing after giving all they had was admirable; losing by doing nothing – or after a halfhearted effort – was intolerable at best, unforgivable at worst. The people would love to see them win, but they weren’t also so brainless so as to expect the team to suddenly win the World Cup.

The night was running late, and tomorrow morning the team would fly to Atheara for their next match in the World Cup qualifiers. What a circus. Play today, fly tomorrow, play the next day. Rinse and repeat and so on until time and space meant nothing more than a blur. All for the glory of the country and Adabian football.

His mind kept on replaying all the things that he didn’t do, and all the things that he should have done. The moments where he just missed the ball, or where he had it wrested away from him, or when he should have been just one second quicker. It’s bad enough that people were dubbing him a “prodigy” or something when the truth was that he was just another football player - well, granted, not too many 19-year-olds had been dubbed a future star player for club and country – now the multiverse had their eyes on every one of his moves, his mistakes, his near-misses.

He knew he had to throw those thoughts away, and he knew he had to go to sleep, get some rest. The first thing he found hard to do, and the second he absolutely couldn’t do. But he knew how to fix the first one.

The phone lay beside him on the bedding; for almost a minute he debated with himself on whether to pick it up or not. Would she still answer at this hour? Had she gone to sleep? Should he even be doing this? But if you never try, you’ll never know.

Emma Arthur – but to him, she’s just Em, or Ems – was one of his closest friends, maybe even the closest. Fate had brought them together in Adab United, bound by the unenviable tie of being called a prodigy at such a young age (he was 19, she 20). In a top-tier club where much was expected from their players, even more was expected from him and Emma. And amid all this, he and Emma somehow bonded. They couldn’t be more different from each other; he was calmer and methodical, whereas she was more excitable and cheerful and could benefit from shutting her mouth every once in a while. But they both had a natural inclination for kindness and empathy, and – as Emma once pointed out – perhaps because they were two of a kind, they felt this natural need to protect each other from all the pressure and media exposure. Well, she wasn’t wrong. Oh, and she’s pretty, too. Like, extremely so, though it’s not like he cared about it.

He picked up the phone and sifted through the list of contacts, clicking on her name with a sense of wariness. Then he waited.

“Oh, hey Alu,” came the somewhat sleepy voice. “You’re still awake?”

Hearing that wonderful voice was enough to put a smile, subconsciously, on him. “Hey Em- Oh, sorry, are you about to sleep? I-“

“Hey, hey, it’s fine, silly. Why are you calling me anyway?” she said. He thought he could hear a giggle on the other end.

“Uh, dunno, really…” he trailed off, wondering again why he was doing this. “I just wanna talk, I guess.”

She giggled again. That’s what she always did to him. “Well, I’m all ears.”

Saad Kaykali was not disappointed with the match result. He knew his players had done their best. Against a vastly more superior and experienced team such as Eastfield Lodge, 3-1 wasn’t bad at all. They still had more matches to look forward to.

But before he went to sleep for the night, there was one thing that he needed to address. The Adab Football Association had been pestered by local media over this matter. The AFA had put out a statement denying it, and now AFA President Naram-Sin Araqasdah wanted Saad to address this, too, if only to drive the point home.

Saad thought this matter trivial and unnecessary to address, and he sure wasn’t going to do the talking. He had other things to attend to: team tactics, training, formation, things that actually mattered.

He would delegate this to The Captain. He picked up the hotel telephone and placed a call to The Captain’s room. (Saad’s phone had run out of power and he hadn’t bothered to charge it.)

“Hey Mohammed, sorry to disturb you at this hour,” he instructed The Captain. “Look, can you do me a favor here? Tomorrow, tell your God-knows-how-many-million social media followers that we are not involved in this whole pepperoni thing-

“You mean Ripperonin boss?”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever they’re calling that thing. We don’t take this Ripperonin thing, we don’t take any drugs at all, we will gladly submit ourselves to every kind of drug test known to mankind, and I will not be taking any questions regarding Ripperonin in all future press conferences.”

“Sure, boss, I’ll post it tomorrow morning,” answered Mohammed Marramzi.
Last edited by Adab on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Male, 23, Indonesian

Major partner in free association with Faraby (that's my puppet/secondary nation IRL).

Factbook

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
-Muhammad Ali

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Boot It!: Winning On Day 1 Is A Start!

Postby TJUN-ia » Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 am

After all this time after the 2nd Great Pain of TJUN-ian Football, the National Stadium was full to the brim and ready to welcome the Jaguars once again. It's been a while since that game a year or so ago, where a goalfest turned our WC dreams to dust at the final hurdle, and the Co-Managers of David Seems and Li Xiu Ying are very confident that that will not allow that pain to happen again. Whether or not we will experience that again is yet to be decided, but many hope that with two brains on top of the tree instead of one, their collective power can steer us through to our first-ever World Cup.

Our first opponents this time around were Malandrin, an unranked nation from the region of 10000 Islands. Despite their status as an unranked team, no one knew what to expect from this team entering this contest and that mystery would produce a cracking game of football overall. It began in the 7th minute when Joe Green produced a stunning shot to open up this campaign, but Opposing Manager Roberto Torres wasn't going to take that at all and Miguel Muñoz would tie things up in the 18th. Muñoz was certainly the star for our opponents as he would score again in the 22nd to make it 2-1 but Green was clearly on a roll as well as he scored his 2nd in the 28th to make it 2-2 after just half an hour. Both players were certainly the main focus of attention here in TJUN-ia City and the crowd would get both rewards before the break, with Green completing his hattrick in the 34th and Muñoz doing the same in the 42nd. It was only halftime and already, Game 1 was at 3-3.

As the second half began, the tactics from the bench became more and more important. Archer Andrews came on and would have an instant impact, scoring twice past Dopingo Fernández in the 47th and 51st to make this incredible game 4-2. Jose Juan Garcí finally had a say in this contest with another goal in the 78th but Prince Carter would put the cherry on top of this dub with a goal in the 87th. Ten goals overall and it was MD1 against an unranked opponent. If this is what is to come, then this tournament will be very interesting indeed.

It may have been a game with little to no defence, but the 3 points were still taken in the end. Our first 2-game special is coming up with the Skorji-less Euran Oceania Territories coming to the capital before our first road game in Shreekaristan. The long road began with a bang, but we still have many miles ahead of us yet. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group 13)
MD1: vs Malandrin (UR) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City W 6-4 (T-3rd)
----------------------BOOT IT!----------------------
MD2: vs Euran Oceania Territories (86) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD3: @Shreekaristan (354)
MD4: vs Srednjaci (253) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD5: @Bongo Johnson (139) - Murbley Coliseum, Bongo Johnson?
MD6: vs Banija (6) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD7: @Ibixa (173)
MD8: vs Astograth (24) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD9: @Oberour Ar Moro (82) - Parade Grounds, Regium
MD10: @Malandrin (UR)
MD11: @Euran Oceania Territories (86) - Flynn Arena, Fligsive
MD12: vs Shreekaristan (354) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD13: @Srednjaci (253) - Blue Oyster National Stadium, Katanija
MD14: vs Bongo Johnson (139) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong
MD15: @Banija (6) - Mavuto Field, Hoima
MD16: vs Ibixa (173) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky
MD17: @Astograth (24)
MD18: vs Oberour Ar Moro (82) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Muralos
Envoy

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Muralos » Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am

From a page in Georgo Zhong's diary
May 12, 2021
Georgo Zhong is a 21-year-old substitute midfielder for the Muralosian national team. He is known for writing journal entries after every one of the Muralosian national team's matches. Most of Georgo's entries are in Esperanto, a constructed language that is also the official language of Muralos; however, this particular entry is in English. Note well that Georgo refers to "American football" from the United States of America, which does exist in Muralos's corner of the multiverse.

It's English practice time!

Muralos 1 0 - 1 Ranoria (oh my, that's embarrassing)
no scorers | Chlorid 73'

Our qualification campaign has kicked off for the 88th edition of the World Cup. And it started off with a rather humbling loss to Ranoria. The team that we beat in the Baptism of Fire knockout stages to have one of our best knockout stage records so far: 1-1, lol. We were immediately eliminated in the next round by Saint-Domingue (they're not in this World Cup, or at least I don't remember seeing them! sad), but that 3-1 victory back in Græntfjall was one to celebrate. They got their revenge, though. They got exactly what they wanted: a rematch, a victory, some vindication. And that's cool. I had honestly left the stadium thinking "oh my god how could we let them do that? ouch!!!" but, all of that has mellowed out.

The loss to Ranoria does bring up some questions in my mind, though. We had a really, really good friendly tour that I've already written tons about. Beating Tikariot, HUElavia, Zeta Reka... all teams that are miles above us. But today, things fell short. Was I a bit nervous about underperforming, in the way that our squad tries so hard to avoid? Yes, I think so. I feel like the Ranorian defense has also gotten tighter since the last time we played them. Adamo, Johano, and Nikolaj all had chances, but Emilia, Rimold, Bier, Jenkins, and Reinhardt were rather like a brick wall... and Grossman and Simson are very agile midfielders who kept me at bay in those few minutes I played for. As a whole, our squad's probably not as comfortable playing with very intentionally defensive teams. We have more freedom and more abandon when we're playing a fellow attack-minded, "offense is the best defense" team like Tikariot or HUElavia (though we did get destroyed by Tikariot last year).

TL;DR I think all of us forgot something key. We thought we were a team that punches above our weight, but guess what? Ranoria's team does the exact same.

But enough about the match itself. I was scrolling through social media not long after we played, and I came across some Ranorian commentary on the game. It was absolutely hilarious, because the Ranorian commentators were commenting on the soccer match as if it were a football match. And I mean, like, a American/gridiron football match. There was a clip with one commentator being very confused about why Ranoria's goalkeeper (Emilia) didn't just tackle Adamo when he got the chance. Such incompetence, am I right? :^) It was such spirited commentary, despite (or because of!) the confusion. There were lots of reposts of these clips on Muralosian social media with captions in Esperanto like "ĉi tio estas ĉio" (this is everything), and I agree completely. It really brightened my day too.

I love to see the similarities between Muralos and other nations we play. Ranoria, for instance, is one of the very few nations out there who also call this sport "soccer." Like us, Ranorians call it "soccer" because "football" would refer to gridiron football and the variations on it. Ranoria has a solid system for football. Like, Barry Chlorid has won a NationStates College Football championship, and Ranoria has been competing actively in the World Bowl. While we love football in Muralos, it has the same status here as wallball, in that we love to play touch football as a casual sport, but it's really not often that people float the idea of playing football competitively. Well, football is still popular enough that soccer needs to be called, well, soccer when we speak English. (Obviously in Esperanto, we're much more ordinary: futbalo for soccer, usona futbalo for football.)

The other fun similarity I can think about right now is with TJUN-ia. TJUN-ia is also a multilingual, multiethnic nation that uses Esperanto as a unifying language. So, when we had our qualifying match in Tiankong, TJUN-ia last year, practically the entire squad was excited to speak Esperanto when needed. Those that weren't were excited to speak Chinese. What's a bit awkward, though, is that Muralosians have their own colloquialisms that you could classify as a Muralosian variety of Esperanto. Very ironic when you remember that Esperanto was designed to be a universal language and so, probably
to not have any dialects or variants.

Anyway, here's an example of a colloquialism that Muralosians use but TJUN-ians don't. Johano talked a bit about Muralosian weather with the hotel staff in Tiankong, and he mentioned that Muralos is quite varma (warm) in the south, but extremely "lenga" (cold) in the north. But the official Esperanto word for "cold" is malvarma– literally, "not warm." So, he threw off this person for a few seconds... and he had to explain how, rather than use a word that means "not warm," Muralosians borrowed the Chinese word for "cold" (冷, leng) and added the adjective suffix "-a" at the end. At least it makes sense when you explain it.

We play South Newlandia tomorrow. Their defenders can readily turn into offensive weapons, which is impressive but also terrifying. We'll really need to protect the flanks and be mindful of South Newlandia's dominance there. What's especially nice is that our team is playing this match at home and that we'll have just enough time to get into the mindset for it. Let's go.
Last edited by Muralos on Thu May 13, 2021 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Muralos (inspired by Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands; flag is that of Okha, Sakhalin Oblast)
Founder of the Asian Archipelago
82nd Cup of Harmony - Round of 32
12th Independent Associations Championship - Round of 16, co-hosts with Almuzahara
74th Baptism of Fire Tournament - Round of 16
11th Independent Associations Championship - Eighth-finalists (round of 16)
2nd International Football Cup - Champions
Asian Archipelago Embassy Cup - Quarterfinalists
Asian Archipelago Soccer Cup - Champions

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am

Vreton City Journal

Opinion
The opinions in this article represent those of the author and not those of the Vreton City Journal, nor those of The Republic of Bollonich

I am sorry to have to use harsh words but Billiam Maskey is fucking crazy and to imagine such a person is the editor in chief of a news agency is horrendous. His lack of understanding for the beautiful game frankly shocks me. As the BFF has already stated, “The use of Ripperonin or RP is frankly a right and is encouraged.” I would like to point out that this RP is what made the difference in our Lacrosse team’s win over the Sylestonians. Rp is an integral part of the game that cannot be lost. The Turnip which is an Lectrumite news agency, has currently been under fire with relation to their accusation of usage of RP. Usage of RP is what makes the beautiful game beautiful and condemning such actions would in fact result in degradation of the game.

The usage of RP is promoted by the Executive World Cup Committee and far from not being legal, and the fact that this frug is basically free and available to everyone there is no reason to not use the drug. As the the BFS has already stated, “Bollonischian sportsmen and women pride in using RP, and they will continue to do so. This use of the drug RP is how the sports have developed and it is the way forward.” And there is no option other than to agree that RP is the way to progression. And if Electrum is so devoted to nor using RP, joint the “No Rp World Cup” seems like the perfect fit considering they’d be joining a bunch of regressive anyway.
~Billy Cragshaw
Meh

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 am

The interview session felt pretty much normal for all the players in Sarzonia's starting 11. Manager Nicola Mentes preached the need for patience and the understanding that the Sarzonian national football team were opening away to the top ranked team in the multiverse and defending World Cup champion Nephara. He'd decided to stick with his entire starting 11, including Carlton Sandt, who entered as the starter following the torn ACL that befell Paolo Gomes.

However, for Sandt, as normal as it felt to be back in the line of questions with his brethren and sistren in the starting 11, it also felt odd. He and Gomes had become good enough friends where he'd begun to learn some basic Portuguese and Gomes became comfortable enough with him to share a few of the NSFW words with his competitor for the starting 11. He missed the camaraderie with Gomes and he hadn't heard from Gomes since the trip to Woodstock General Hospital for the surgery.

After he'd gotten dressed and walked out to his car, he felt the vibration on his phone. He looked down. It was Paolo.

"I'm OK," he wrote in a text message. In English. "Give the team my regards."

Sandt dialed the number.

"Alô?"

"Paolo?"

"Tudo bem?"

"Muito bom!"

"Very good!" Gomes said in English, punctuating the comment with a laugh. The two goalkeepers then talked more as Sandt asked him how surgery had gone. Following the conversation, Sandt saw Mentes walking toward him.

"That was Paolo," Sandt said.

"Oh, how is he?"

"He's in pretty good spirits. The surgery went well. They're expecting him to be available physically for football activities in six to nine months."

Mentes smiled at the upbeat way Sandt imparted the news about Gomes, but his eyebrow raised slightly at the physically part.

"Wait. You said physically. And you said he was in good spirits." Sandt drew in his breath and exhaled a little.

"He seemed to be pretty upbeat, but that kind of injury can cause PTSD in a way," he said. "You know, like you're thinking about the injury and you're afraid of aggravating it. That could take longer to heal from."

Mentes nodded. He didn't have first hand knowledge of that from his own life, but as a manager, he'd seen that before. He knew the physical hurdles weren't the easiest to overcome, but the mental blocks could take much longer to heal from. He looked at Sandt and then said what he'd come to tell him.

"I'm starting Marcé against Togonistan," he said. "You'll start the match against Hampton Island."

"OK," Sandt said with his voice trailing off uncertainly.

"It's tradition in Sarzonia to start the No. 2 goalkeeper in the second match of World Cup qualifying," Mentes said. "And besides, Marcé earned a curtain call of sorts for winning the Wonder Cup. Giving her the start at Dave Wilson Stadium seems like a great opportunity to give her that curtain call.

"I suppose so," Sandt said, originally intending the phrase to be sarcastic, but as he said it, he began to think Mentes was right. Besides, he was getting the start against Hampton Island, so it wasn't like George was going to take the job from him.

"I'll see you at the stadium tomorrow night," Mentes said.

"Got it."

Sandt sat in his car for a moment to think things over. Sure, he wanted to start every match now that Gomes was out, but he was willing to see George get a chance to soak in applause for helping to bring a championship to Sarzonia. It was only fitting, after all.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Thu May 13, 2021 12:05 pm

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independents sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Football Fallacies
with The Man from Markovsky

WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER ANYMORE?

Hello and welcome to The Football Fallacies. Right, so now the World Cup qualification period is once again upon us, and you all know what that means? Yes, it's time for more bastard heartaches and rage moments as our national team screw up every single possible moment that they can and we have to watch our international ranking fall ever lower while new nations rise up through the goddamn ranks at a fraction of the time and an even smaller fraction of the effort. Right, who wants to get started? I'll go first.

Electrum. Oh, Electrum. I don't even know why, but I used to look up to these guys. I used to dream that our national teams would aspire to be as good, or better than, Electrum. But now things have changed. I don't what things exactly have changed, but they've changed, and now I don't want to be the kind of team our national team aspires to become. Look, I know sometimes you just can't control the kind of team that you're going to go up against, and god knows that we've faced our fair share of freaks and weirdos in World Cup qualifiers gone by, but sometimes there's a point where a man just wants to watch some regular football between two teams of eleven humans each. But nope, our first bastard qualifier for World Cup 88 and we're already up against some weird shit. I mean, there has got to be a rule against having a player dressed up as a football playing on the pitch during a game. I don't know how this "sentient energy ball" thing managed to make its way into this Electrumite team. At the very least they should have supplied it with something like the kit that they've got on! Well, to be fair, they eventually did give the "Seb" a shirt at the start of the second, which is probably what enabled the Fleftic comeback in the same time period. Just a shame we couldn't hang on to the win, beating a side that's ranked higher than us, but oh well. A point's still a point, at least until it probably costs us qualification into the World Cup finals itself.

All right, now let's go talk about something else, something that's related to the football but not necessarily about the football itself. First off, let me just put on the record that I absolutely recognize that The Turnip is a satirical news organization dedicated to putting the fun in the news cycle, and that anything that is written on the pages of these esteemed publication should be taken with a grain of salt at the very least. Right, how can anyone in their right mind can ever believe that Abanhfleft engages in any sort of doping? Fuck, if you told me that we've been engaged in a doping scandal for all of these years, I would probably look you in the eye and say, "Then why the fuck are we still shit after all these years?" Do any of these Turnip hacks know how many times I've wished that Abanhfleft would dope its players, even for just one game, so I wouldn't have to always think the worst of this team? Of course doping is completely against the rules and spirit of football, or any other sport for the matter, but for just one second I would to have some consistency in this team. But you know what? If even doping can't put this team into a consistent streak then I don't know what will.

And what the fuck even is that bastard Ripperidone or RP or whatever it is that they called it again? If this drug, if it even is real and does all the effects that the Turnip describes, and if our players have been doped to the gills with this thing, surely we'd have been consistent entrants in the World Cup at the very least? The mere fact that Abanhfleft has been shit through all these years means that the doping simply cannot change what we truly are, or more likely, there was simply no doping happening at all. And of course The Turnip will only call out doping when they lose or draw. If they win, this bastard RP won't even get a word in. If they do it, it's fair game. If anyone else does it, it's obviously doping. Christ above, look at me now. Begging for our team to get doped just to get some good results in. It's hardly professional behavior, even for an unpaid blogger like me.

Well, this blog post got derailed so bad. I haven't even the energy or the brainpower to continue talking about this anymore. I still just can't believe that I now put it on record that I would rather have a doped-up team than the one that we have right now. We've already had a couple of players thrown under the bus for drug issues, but the one thing I can say confidently about the case of Jennistora and Rule Britannia (still can't name them directly because of that stupid court order) is that they weren't on RP, which simply doesn't exist in Abanhfleft. Anyway, that's all that there is from me. If you've got comments of your own about the game itself (very likely) or about this doping "accusation" (equally likely, but can you really take a satirical paper's accusation at face value now?) then feel free to leave them down below. Until then, I've been the Man from Markovsky, still disappointed in our country. Especially if it turns out we've been doped to the gills the whole time and have still been shite despite it.

ELECTRUM 4 - 4 ABANHFLEFT
McCOURTNEY (10', 15', 33') McGINNIS (50', 75')
SEB (90+3') WOODWARD (64')
KELLERMAN (88')
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Sendhang
Envoy

Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Sendhang » Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm

I - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - VIII - IX

X
HEBITAKA

The starting line-up was announced an hour before the match. Gusti was again selected to spearhead the attack. He paid the head coach confidence in him with an early goal. Sendhang however lost the match 3-2. But the national team return from Savojarna with pride as they had displayed a spirited performance.

There was no time for celebration though as they had to prepare for their next match against Hebitaka. It was a historical match for the country as it was the first-ever football match involving Sendhang at home. There were only 3 days to prepare for the match.

The head coach, Teuku Syarkawi has told the squad which starting eleven he picked for the match against Hebitaka a day before the match. There was a slight rotation and Teuku Salahuddin was set to make his first international start.

“We have 3 matches in the space of 7 days. Some of you will be rested for the match against Hebitaka,” Syarkawi said during the team training at PS3 Complex. “I want the players that come in to give their all as this is our first match at the Federal Stadium,” he continued.

Salahuddin was of course ecstatic after he was told that he will finally make his first international start. He couldn’t sleep that night. The same thing happened to his roommate, Joroq who was also about to make his first international start. The two spent the whole night watching Hebitaka’s previous matches and analyzing their players.

“I think we can win,” Joroq said while watching some of the matches.

“Why do you say so?” asked Salahuddin who was amazed by his roommate's confidence.

“Because I will dominate the midfield. I won’t let anyone from Hebitaka stamp their authority in the middle of the park. Not Razan. Not Krishanu. And not even that Elver guy,” Joroq answered with full of confidence. His eyes were focused on the television in their boarding room at the PS3 complex.

Salahuddin only laughed at Joroq’s answers. He did not share his roommate's opinion. He knows it will not be as simple as that. Underestimating Hebitaka can be fatal for Sendhang and he will not fall for that. After all, Hebitaka is ranked higher than Sendhang in the KPB ranking.

Busoga Islands
Envoy

Founded: May 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Busoga Islands » Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Busogan manager Alexander Bumba, the day after their 1-1 draw with St. Trinians, at a hospital in St. Trinians

Alexander Bumba knew that was part of the craziest match he had ever been a part of. Despite the rank difference, considering all that went on- the injuries, the fighting, the, as far as he could tell, machine guns in military vehicles at the sides of the pitch. It basically seemed like the stands were one big brawl. But Bumba wasn't one to walk away from a match- he insisted on finishing as long as he had enough players to play. In normal circumstances, only earning a point against a team 155 places below you in the ranks would be disappointing. But in this case? Take what you can get.

Bumba took stock of what exactly had happened. Kasekende Jr. had the traditional one match suspension because of his red card by starting the fight, and Bumba had already gotten word that he had received a second match ban on top of that for starting the fight in the first place. Bumba clearly wasn't ready for this- they hadn't done enough scouting on St. Trinians, whereas the other teams in the group now knew what to expect, and what to prepare for, with their trip to St. Trinians. Advantage to them.

A whole bunch of Busogan starters were down. Cicke Aga, Abdullah Guennon, and Hassan Thiaw would all miss Matchdays 2 and 3 recovering from injuries in the chaotic fighting. He wasn't even sure what had happened to Sarika Birla, he hadn't seen the tape yet- and yet, he was here at the hospital with her. The rest of the team, meanwhile, was on the first flight back to the Busoga Islands. It turned out that Sarika Birla had taken a bullet to the kidney.

She would have to be flown back to the Busoga Islands as soon as possible. The trust of Busogan authorities for St. Trinians was through the ground at that point. She was no longer in critical condition, fortunately- they had taken the corrective measures to remove the bullet from her kidney. Who fired it, he had no idea. But she was going to be airlifted back to the Busoga Islands, via a Busogan medical military helicopter. Bumba would ride with the helicopter.

"Mr. Bumba." The nurse said. "The helicopter is here. We're going to move Sarika to the skies now." Bumba just nodded. He shook the nurse's hand and said thank you. Bumba then went to the hospital's roof, where the helicopter was. When he got up there, shockingly, none other than President Delbin Kasekende Sr. stepped off the helicopter.

"Holy shit." Bumba said, then quickly apologized. "Mr. President! I didn't expect to see you here."

"Well, I had to come collect Sarika myself." The President said. Kasekende Sr., was, of course, related to Kasekende the player- Busoga's starting holding midfielder was the son of the President of the country. "This is insane, but we'll talk more about it when we get back to Busogan airspace." The two stepped back onto the helicopter, waved goodbye at the St. Trinians hospital members, loaded Sarika Birla onto the helicopter, and then took off.

The Busoga Chronicle
The Islands #1 News Source!

Violence mars Busogan World Cup Qualifier as President Kasekende Jr. defends son and harshly criticizes St. Trinians

The helicopter President Kasekende Sr. rode in to retrieve Sarika Birla from St. Trinians

LAKISKA, SOUTH ISLAND- President Kasekende Sr., President not of BISA, but of the whole damn country, was harshly critical of St. Trinians after massive fan violence in the country left a number of Busogan players injured, and a number of Busogans facing serious injury, including Sarika Birla facing a life threatening injury, Kasekende Sr. was highly emotional upon his return to the Busoga Islands.

"When I watched the match and saw what had happened, I was horrified." President Kasekende Sr. said. "How could you allow so much violence to pour its way onto the field, and fail to protect the players? This isn't a club match- this is freaking World Cup Qualfiying. The WCC should absolutely do something to ensure that this does not happen to other teams who travel to St. Trinians throughout Qualifying."

When asked about his son's actions that started the melee, he fiercely defended his son. "Look, I know my lane- I'm a politician. I try not to wade into sports, although obviously I'm in love with the beautiful game. But to say that Junior's actions are at fault here is simply ignoring the facts. The violent hits and hip checks that St. Trinians players were giving him were completely out of bounds. And players are supposed to help each other de-escalate- but their players simply escalated the fight, which then caused the fans to break through the security lines and storm the pitch. It was like 11 on 10,000- our players had to essentially fight their way out to protect themselves while RAST cleared the field. Absolutely unacceptable."

The President spoke about Sarika Birla. "I could scarcely believe what was going on for myself." He told reporters. "When I saw Birla was straight up unconcious, and bleeding, on television, my heart tore for her. A Busogan trying to do her best to play for her country- and this happens? I am incensed. Absolutely unacceptable. Fortunately, doctors were able to save her life. But she's on the pitch, representing her country, and ends up with a bullet in her kidney? That is completely unacceptable. The Matriach, and St. Trinians at-large, needs to compensate her for her injury, and the rest of us need to keep her in our prayers as she recovers."

The President also said that he was 'seriously considering' banning St. Trinians fans from visiting the Busoga Islands for the return leg on Matchday 10, 'consequences be damned'.

Roster for World Cup 88 Qualifying
Anyone in red cannot be selected for Matchdays 2 or 3.

Starters: 4-4-2.
The six professional clubs on the Busoga Islands are all part of the Banijan soccer pyramid.
Players who are receiving their first call-up during this tournament are italicized.
Players who do not play within the Banijan soccer pyramid are bolded.
BSL = Banijan Soccer League, the second from top-flight for Banija & the Busoga Islands.
S-FPL is the Shango-Fogoa Premier League, the joint top flight for Banija, Busoga Islands, and Farfadillis.
GK #35 Kylian Jawara. 31 years old. Plays for the Tripoli Foresters in the Northwestern League. Male.
RB #2 Yashpal Gopaal. 32 years old. Plays for The Herzegovina Phoenix in the S-FPL. Male.
CB #5 Govind Nigam. 30 years old. Plays for Lakiska SC in the BSL. Male. Captain.
CB #18 Ami Biri. 31 years old. Plays for Bwubanza City SC in the BSL. Female.
LB #4 Mohammed Gassama. 29 years old. Banija/Busoga Islands dual national, chose to play for the Busoga Islands. Plays for Workers Union in Eura. Male.
RM #17 Habib Fadika. 24 years old. Graduate from Northern Moravica University. Backup for Herzegovina City in the S-FPL.
RCM #23 Kara Yesilnil. 26 years old. Plays for the Busukuma Force in the BSL. Female.
LCM #10 Ozkaya Tarhan. 19 years old. Comes off the bench for KItara AA in the S-FPL. Busogan/Equestrian dual-national.
LM #20 Barkha Visariya. 31 years old. Starts for Lakiska SC in the BSL. Female.
RS #12 Artem Kohut. 24 years old. Plays for Unamaꞌkik Inverness 1877 in the Royal Kingdom of Quebec. Busogan/Delaclav dual-national- switched his allegiance to the Busoga Islands following World Cup 87 Qualifying.
ST #11 Servet Ornet. 30 years old. Comes off the bench for Istria City FC in the S-FPL. Female.
Bench
GK #1 Mustafa Taal. 27 years old. Banija/Busoga Islands dual-national who is now cap-tied to Busoga. Plays for the Herzegovina Phoenix in the S-FPL. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to injury in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
GK #23 Juba Kaba. 26 years old. Backup for Jinja City FC in the S-FPL. Female.
RB #16 Abdullah Guennoun. 31 years old. Plays for the Hawabark Boulders in the BSL. Male. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to injury in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
CB #3 Hassan Thiaw. 29 years old. Just signed for Lakiska SC in the BSL. Male. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to injury in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
CB #19 Ismaela Senghore. 21 years old. Plays for Aissa United in the BSL. Male.
LB #14 Ibrahim Karakaya. 26 years old. Plays for Lakiska SC in the BSL. Male.
CM #6 Delbin Kasekende Jr. 23 years old. Plays for 1912 Stelburg in Teusland. Son of former NT captain and the present President of the country, Delbin Kasekende. Male. Much more of a defensive midfielder. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to red card in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
CM #8 #23 Cicek Aga. 25 years old. Plays for Ausharmuj Marusi in Farfadillis. Female. Much more of an attacking fielder than her counterpart. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to injury in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
CM #6 Ilke Akgun. 22 years old. Plays for Lakiska SC in the BSL. Female.
RW #7 Isa Kujabi. 21 years old. Comes off the bench for the Hoima Warriors in the S-FPL. Female.
LM #39 Olcayto Aldemir. 28 years old. Plays for Kabakono City in the BSL. Male.
LS #9 Sarika Birla. 26 years old. Plays for Suwawa FC in the BSL. Female. Out for MDs 2 and 3 due to injury in St. Trinian MD1 riots.
Last edited by Busoga Islands on Thu May 13, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Drawkland Venue Schedule - WC88 Qualifying

Postby Drawkland » Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 pm

[Apologies to my groupmates. I meant to publish the fixture schedule before qualifying started.]

The Elite Eleven were riding high after their opening day win against Garbelia. The plucky nation put up a good fight in Drawkland, but ultimately Ross Hunter had a career day, scoring a hat trick that equaled Garbelia's total. Trevor Garnet buried the dagger that would win the game in the 85th minute, and all was well.

At least, all was well until the Eleven got a call from Harvey Flantar, the head of DISC (Drawkian International Sporting Council), the governing body of international sports for the nation. Calls from him were always annoying, whether he was complaining about the Eleven doing something bad, or whining that they weren't doing well enough, or bragging on their behalf as if he had anything to do with their success. In short, he was a spineless weasel.

When the phone rang, the Eleven were relaxing in their spa area, a few of them in the sauna and most of them in the hot tub. The system at the Complex had phones throughout the building so somebody could answer regardless of where they were.

"Yo, we're getting a call on the main phone." Richard Hanson called out for everyone to hear.

"The main phone? Who's calling?" asked Septimus Xander, who was trying to find a hair bead that got lost in the water.

Richard craned his neck to the wall panel that contained the phone. "Not sure, somebody reset the caller ID on this number to say 'Headache Fuckwad.'"

"Oh, that's my bad. That's Harvey Flantar." Roger Apollo raised his hand. A round of laughs were had.

"Who's gonna take it?"

"Make Ross pick it up. He scored the hat trick so hopefully he'll be in a better mood talking to him." A general rumble of agreement echoed through the room.

"Ugh, fine, I got it." Ross rolled his eyes and moved to the other end of the tub to grab the phone. "Elite Eleven, this is Ross Hunter speaking."

"Great to hear from you, Mr. Hunter. Congratulations on the win against Gorbinaya."

"You mean Garbelia?"

"Yes, yes, of course. That's not important right now. What IS important is the fact that once again, you have failed me."

"Excuse me? Are we not talking about the game tonight?"

"Absolutely not. Tell me, Ross, do you know where you'll be playing Gyatso-Kai next week?"

"Hold on, let me see." Ross covered the phone and looked at the rest of the team. "Where's the fixture schedule? I think he's trying to hit me with a 'gotcha.'" The rest of them scrambled around, before Elias Keys finally located something in the notes on his phone.

"We'll be playing them in Metropolon." Elias confirmed, and Ross nodded.

"We'll be playing them at National Pitch." Ross returned to the phone. "Why do you ask?"

"Well ..." Flantar chuckled on the other end of the line, "That's certainly news to me. As well as everyone else! You were supposed to send me your fixture schedule months ago, and we still have not received it! Have you all not looked at the news lately? This is ridiculous! You are a professional organization, we at DISC expect you to-"

At this point, Ross held the phone away from his ear and rolled his eyes. They'd heard this spiel a million times. He muted the phone and looked at the others.

"Alright, who didn't send the venue schedule? That's what he's bitching about." The Elite Eleven looked at each other and broke into various sub-conversations almost immediately.

"We were supposed to come up with the venues? I thought that was DISC's job."

"Yeah, I spoke with them months ago and I thought they'd organized it. That's why I have the notes."

"Maybe they were just coming up with suggestions? A rough draft for us?"

"How did they know we were playing in Sadeg today but are freaking out about the rest of the schedule?"

"These fuckin' guys ..."

"They're gonna call US incompetent? We're literally just athletes, why does our opinion on the venues matter? Why does that have to be our job?"

"I'm gonna burn the Pinnapex to the ground one of these days ..."

"Eli, bring up your notes again, let's see what they say."

"Hey, hold on guys, I think he's done." Ross motioned for the group to quiet down. "Yes, my apologies, Harv. We'll get the email to you ASAP. Later." While Flantar tried protesting, Ross slammed the phone back into the wall to hang up.

"Here, I've got the schedule that DISC sent to us. I guess this was just what they were hoping we'd do, and not what they'd actually scheduled." Elias pulled into the middle of the room and everyone crowded around him.

Qualifying Home Games

MD1 vs Garbelia: Spartan Veteran Stadium (107,500), Sadeg
MD2 vs Gyatso-Kai: National Pitch (149,000), Metropolon
MD4 vs Kelssek: Drawk City Stadium (175,000), Drawk City
MD6 vs Revlona: Thunder Park (105,500), Jaffro
MD8 vs Tumbra: Castle Stadium (149,500), Raikennax
MD12 vs Saltstead: West Cargo Stadium (96,500), Ifferdam Station
MD14 vs Marigred: Panar Bank Park (99,000), Masteser
MD16 vs The Juniper Union: The Root Field (133,300), Elstrund
MD18 vs Kandorith: Spartan Veteran Stadium (107,500), Sadeg

"Okay, just straight up email that to him. That should be good enough."

"Yeah, way ahead of ya. Once again, the Elite Eleven have to do everything."
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Squornshelan Remnant States
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

WC88 MD1

Postby Squornshelan Remnant States » Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Lifted Lamp, Chapter 2
Chapter 1

Iuri Takala was not accustomed to being cheered at Radlov Arena. It had been seven years since the national team had played there. Iuri had to look it up. A loss to Siovanija and Teusland on the second matchday of World Cup 83 Qualfying. He'd been 24, and spent the match on the bench. It had been an interesting year with Brantisvogan FC, whose home field this was, and his own Megabrantid going down to the wire for the league title. The Red Flash had gotten the upper hand that season, but never since. Team captain the past five seasons, he'd hoisted three Superleague titles, one Confederacy Cup, and the Challengers' Cup in that time, and led his team to five straight top-three finishes. Across town, meanwhile, Brantisvogan had been mired mid-table, with no sure path back to success on the horizon.

To say that there was some bitterness would be an understatement.

On each of his last five visits the booing and jeering had been louder, the chants ruder. Success definitely did breed haters. Last season, as the Firm had smashed four goals past the home side, he'd heard a boy who couldn't have been any more than 13 describe in excruciating anatomical detail what he felt Takala ought to do with the ball he was about to throw in. It was equal parts impressive and horrifying, and seemed to sum up the general feeling from the Red Flash faithful when they saw him enter the field. He'd expected more of the same tonight. Certainly, the reception had been mixed when he'd been announced as part of the Black-and-Reds' starting lineup. He was sure quite a few Megabrantid supporters were up there in the stands, along with plenty of others who didn't take sides in the Brantid Derby. They were all evidently happy to cheer his inclusion in the side. Still, enough of the local faithful were present to make their dislike for him known.

There hadn't been any booing a couple weeks ago in Syneca, when he and his teammates had taken the field together for the first time since their visit to Almuzahara for the IAC. Synesoft Arena down south had been the penultimate stop on the pre-qualifying friendly tour for 15th-ranked World Cup 88 co-hosts Chromatika. It was the lone international friendly that they'd had lined up as a warm up for facing the 14th-ranked Jungle Cats, and was itself a doozy of a match. The Anomalies hadn't trotted out the B-team by any means, going for their first choice at nearly every position, and with all starters being returning players from the side that reached World Cup 87's second round in Ethane. All their opponents to this point had been top-20, and despite only recording one win, the Anomalies were still undefeated through the first four matches of their slate. While Iuri and the team had been training together, and had held a few intra-squad matches, the perceived deficit in class compared to their opponents combined with the long time since they'd played had many in the media making prophecies of doom. To hear them tell it, they would do well to lose by less than three, and such a beating followed up by an inevitable home loss to Vilita would mark the beginning of a slump that would inevitably result in the ouster of Groothuis as manager, Koirala as association president, and even himself as captain.

It had gotten pretty absurd.

They'd gotten a solid start on shutting up the doomsayers in Syneca though. He'd played his role, but it had been Petrov who really shone. It was always Petrov. He was constantly amazed by the plays she made. It seemed sometimes like all he needed to do was find a way to get her the ball and she'd make something happen. He always felt lucky to have had the chance to play with someone like her. They loved her down there in Syneca too, where she'd gotten her start. Each of the pair of goals she'd scored had spurred a massive roar from the crowd, and when Groothuis had taken her off late for Stienno they'd given her a minute-long ovation. As for his own part, he'd been locked in a match-long battle with Armageddon, and rarely had the time for more than a touch or two before the Chromatik captain was on him. Early on he'd given up a turnover that way that had led to the match's first goal, with Armageddon feeding Kuznetsov to launch the counterattack. He had backtracked with the rest of the midfield but with Vidal and Sierra running directly at Harkhan and Buczvarov, Hauser was left in space in the middle with Marrish frantically trying to catch up. He'd made a quick apology afterward to Krieven and the center backs, before gathering the midfield and wingers together on the way back to midfield. Decisiveness was the name of the game from that point on, and while it wasn't all smooth, he'd felt proud heading into halftime with the score even on Yonte's first international goal.

Kuznetsov had grabbed the lead back for the Anomalies a little while after the half, but apparently set something off in Petrov. For ten minutes or so following his goal, she was completely unstoppable, and could've notched a natural hat trick, had she not sent a 68th-minute strike whistling over the bar. Iuri had notched an assist on the go ahead goal with a pretty decent pass into space for Petrov to run onto, but for her to shield the ball from de Aea while simultaneously dribbling wide to spoil the angle of Fillar's rush was impressive enough that he hardly felt the assist should count. In the end, the insurance marker he'd notched with just a couple minutes to play had also been all too easy. The product of the Anomalies pushing numbers forward in search of an equalizer and ended up outnumbered at the other end when the counterattack came.

Looking back at the match, he felt maybe he should've given himself a little more credit. The never-too-high-and-never-too-low sort of attitude required of a team captain always led him to move on quickly from a goal at either end, to think about bringing the team's focus back to the task at hand. Tonight though, against another top-15 side, he again felt the emotional tug of war between excitement and equilibrium. The crowd was still roaring their approval and as he turned from the corner flag to the sight of his teammates rushing toward him, he realized that only a few second had passed. High up above the field, the scoreboard changed, now reading "SRS 2 - 2 VIL" as Vladcik was the first to reach him. Maybe he could let himself enjoy this goal just a little bit.

MD1:  SRS 2-2 VIL @ Radlov Arena (cap. 76,800), Brantisvogan, Megabrantis, SRS
MD2: DEV v SRS @ TBA
MD3: SRS v SDG @ Killough Grove (cap. 31,400), Han Wavel, Han Dold, SRS
MD4: PSI v SRS @ TBA
MD5: SRS v SVJ @ Overburg Arena (cap. 46,222), Damogran, Algolia, SRS
MD6: HTK v SRS @ TBA
MD7: SRS v LIS @ Flanoil Arena (cap. 50,350), Traal, East Flania, SRS
MD8: SRS v TFS @ Smolak Systemy Stadion (cap. 31,200), Sjerezo, Molvania, SRS
MD9: ESH v SRS @ The Eshialand City SuperDome (cap. 75,000), Eshialand City, ESH
MD10: VIL v SRS @ Tivali-Ring Stadium (cap. 87,000 ), Alikki-Cora, VIL
MD11: SRS v DEV @ Sunergy Field (cap. 37,550), Hunian, Algolia, SRS
MD12: SDG v SRS @ Stadium Persekutuan (cap. 40,000), Kambag, SDG
MD13: SRS v PSI @ Old Flamarion Stadium (cap. 26,405), Flamarion, Megabrantis, SRS
MD14: SVJ v SRS @ TBA
MD15: SRS v HTK @ Pheldagriff Stadium (cap. 45,620), Yassaca, Sivolvia, SRS
MD16: LIS v SRS @ TBA
MD17: TFS v SRS @ TBA
MD18: SRS v ESH @ Chernov Stadium (cap. 57,600), Viltvodle, Megabrantis, SRS

OOC: Lineup against Devonta & Sendhang:
Starters: Krieven; Kazarov, Harkhan, W., Ciernik, Malgos; Marrish, Lomidan; Vladcik, Damnagoras, Storrev; Petrov
Subs: Drenel; Macar, Buczvarov, Szimon, Storsjo; Tabur, Arslan; Dast, Hashemi, Starosta; Gerstlauer
The Confederacy of Squornshelan Remnant States
Successor State to the Imperium of Squornshelous
World Cup 31 Champions
AOCAF Cup 69 Champions
ARC 1 Champions
World Cup:
2nd: 15, 38
3rd: 20, 25
SF: 18, 27
QF: 5, 11, 12, 22, 30, 32, 33, 34, 40
Ro16: 6, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23, 24, 28, 36, 37, 39, 90, 93
Group Stage: 8, 10, 13, 17, 19, 26, 29, 35, 41, 88, 91, 92, 94
DNQ: 14, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 95
Cup of Harmony:
QF: 6, 73, 75, 81
Ro16: 74
Ro32: 79
Group Stage: 76, 77, 87
Regional:
2nd: AOCAF65
3rd: IAC8, AOCAF67, AOCAF68
QF: IAC10, IAC13, AOCAF66, AOCAF70
2nd Round: IAC6, IAC7, IAC12
1st Round: IAC9, IAC11
Other:
BoF68 QF

Squorn is an unknowable entity -Mriin

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

The Licentian Isles 0-2 Sargossa

Licentian Goals – no scorers
Sargossan Goals – M. Manzanares (24 mins), D. Cazalla (38 mins)

It took me some time to get an idea that something was severely wrong, rather than just a dodgy phone line. I wasn’t an expert in telecommunications, so I just assumed that it would sort itself out over time. I went about my next day as I otherwise would have, none the wiser that my life had irrevocably changed.

It was a weekend the next day, so I went out to get brunch with a friend in Exton. She was someone I had met through university in the city, and we had become pretty close friends in the few months I’d been there. It certainly kept me distracted from what had happened at first, and it was only as we planned the rest of our day that it really hit me for the first time.

She had suggested going to the beach for the afternoon, and so I was pulling out my phone to look up the most recommended beach nearby. I didn’t get that far though, as I noticed that I had a missed phone call from someone else I’d met through my studies: a fellow Licentian, named Curtis, who had made the same journey as me, only from Colesham instead of rural Abingdon. He’d left a voicemail, so I made my excuses to listen to it.

“Hi Mhairi, it’s Curtis, hope you’re okay. Listen, I don’t know if you have any idea what’s going on right now, but I think there’s a chance that there’s something weird going on back home. Let me know if you’ve heard anything, alright?”

He sounded worried. Really, really worried. I don’t think I really recognised, until I listened to that message, that there was a chance that something bigger had happened here that would change a lot for me.

I made my excuses and went home. I was panicking a little bit now, and I wasn’t much interested in a trip to the beach any more. I would message Curtis and see if he actually knew anything, or if he was in the same position as me. Completely fucking confused, and honestly a wee bit scared.

Do you know that situation where you aren’t gaining anything positive from scrolling through something online or just refreshing the page looking for something to change? That was what that afternoon became for me. I looked through the latest comments on twii.tur, I refreshed the website for the Licentian embassy in Apox, I spent an inordinate amount of time just staring at my computer and hoping for something to tell me that everything was okay.

I didn’t know what else I could do really. I was just doom-scrolling, looking for something that would give me any sort of reassurance. I didn’t find it.

Instead, I ended up phoning Curtis and meeting him in a park near where we studied, at the Exton Institute of Technology.

“What the fuck is going on here Curtis?” I had my head in my hands as I said this, just desperately trying to process what was happening.

“I really don’t know. I can’t find anything that explains it. None of it makes any sense Mhairi.” Curtis was frantic really. “Is there anything that we can do?”

“We’re just engineering students mate, what could we do?” I had taken a more nihilistic view of these things, even in the mere few hours since it had started to hit me. “What exactly can we do about all this?”

“But there must be something! Fuck!” He stood up from the bench and began to pace. “Like, how could the whole fucking country just disappear?!”

“I don’t know man, it doesn’t make sense.” I began to think back to if there were any signs, if Ally had mentioned anything strange to me when we last spoke. It had only been a few days, but if he had said anything then I couldn’t remember it.

Something did then come back to me though. For whatever reason, we had been talking about football while we were on our call. I think Ally had watched Glenmount that afternoon. Anyway, we had been talking about famous footballers, and the conversation had come back to Alex Gardiner-Stewart. The man who the big ground in Abingdon was named for. He had, at one point, been believed dead in a plane crash, but it turned out he had actually found himself in the land known as Wight, before returning to pick up an award or something. It was a crazy story.

Shit. Did that place have something to do with it?

We all knew from his story that there was some sort of strange being that had helped to get him back. The name wasn’t something that survived the years, but this being had all sorts of powers over time and space, and apparently resided in Wight. Wherever that truly was. Maybe this being, or that place, had something to do with all of this, or maybe someone from there would have some idea of how we could fix all this.

How could I get in touch with someone from there? Was it even possible? Could I find somebody who knew something about the place, or maybe even something about whatever was separating the Isles from the rest of the multiverse?

I knew what I could do, at the very least. I would put a message online, on twii.tur and every other message board that I could find, looking for some sort of expert on the weird and supernatural. Clearly there was some sort of link between the Isles and all this weirdness, and maybe that was linked to the separation. There was only one way to find out.

Cyan-and-Gold Squad to face Islands of Ventro at Barton Software Arena, Colesham:
Starting XI: S. Heijnis/R. Findlay, H. Shaw, F. Watson, S. Maartens/S. van Duuren/M. Henderson, T. Hughes, A. McGregor, W. Tuininga/R. Grant
Substitutes: C. Fraser, C. Spijker, L. Allen, A. Graham, T. Johnston, L. Hughes, T. Weiling

Cyan-and-Gold Squad to face the Holy Empire at the Imperial Hippodrome:
Starting XI: C. Fraser/R. Findlay, L. Allen, F. Watson, C. Spijker/A. Graham/M. Henderson, T. Johnston, A. McGregor, W. Tuininga/T. Weiling
Substitutes: S. Heijnis, M. Reilly, T. Ferguson, S. van Duuren, A. Mazereeuw, L. Hughes, R. Grant
Last edited by The Licentian Isles on Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Flavovespia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Flavovespia » Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Hadford Hill

Overview

Hadford Hill is the most populated of the 10 regions of Flavovespia. It, like Waldster, is one of the 3 regions that is a single municipality region. Hadford Hill, whilst not the same size as its historical extent, is still a considerable size, both in terms of population and area. It rivalled Waldster and to an extent St Astons historically, and the relationship between Hadford Hill and Waldster (and thus by extension Greater Waldster governance) was particularly strained from time to time. For a considerable amount of time, Hadford Hill was practically an independent city-state, that only co-operated with Greater Waldster where necessary. However since the unification, Hadford Hill has been a part of the Republic of Greater Waldster and the Republic of Flavovespia, with the government riding out secessionist ideas that occasionally crop up.

Municipalities

Hadford Hill Code: HH Population: 4'201'273 Land Area (sqkm): 3'945 Population Density (pop/sqkm): 1'065

Geography

Hadford Hill lies to the North East of Flavovespia. There is one large elevated area, the Hade Hill to the south of the region. This is also the source of the River Hade. The etymology of Hadford Hill is derived from this river and hill, with the first settlements based near the ford at the base of the hill. As well as the River Hade, the River Aspe also flows through Hadford Hill, and there is a confluence by the coast of the Hade and Apse. Much of Hadford Hill is flatland, although there’s some hilly areas towards the eastern, rural parts of the region.

Transport

The Hadford Metro (which also covers Marthorpe) is the largest one of it’s type in Flavovespia. A collection of almost 100 stations, mostly underground is the quickest way around the city. That’s partially because of the mess of motorways and other large roads in Hadford Hill. The M2, which starts in the centre of Hadford Hill’s urban area is largely fine, but it never got connected to the M3 from Waldster. The M5 covers most of the southern parts of Hadford Hill, with connections to the M2 (via the M25), M3 and M4 (via the M45). A maze of junctions connects the motorways, but it’s not exactly the cleanest solution. In terms of trainlines, the major East Coast and North Coast trainlines provide a link to Waldster and St Astons, although the former is fairly slow given the distance between the two cities. Both lines terminate at Hadford Hill Station, the second largest in Flavovespia in terms of throughfare. Whilst Hadford Hill does have it’s own airport (Hadford Aerodrome) and seaport, it is better serviced by the nearby Bavingtor Airport and Butterfield Terminal seaport respectively.

Economy

Hadford Hill for a while tried to do it all, agriculture, industry, finance, etc. Over time however, as parts of Hadford Hill became independent, this was gradually lost, and the city hit a crisis, leading to its reluctant acceptance of Republicanism. Nowadays the bulk of the local economy does come from services, in particular in the metro area. However out in the more rural parts, agriculture and farming still makes some contribution to the local economy, in particularly in Parmo and Woodlee. Recently developments in tidal and wave power has created a small but fledging renewable energy industry along the coast, although not as large as other parts of Flavovespia. Hadford Hill, like many cities nowadays, has a high cost of living in central areas, where the more affluent parts of the cities have always been. Parts of the coast such as Addenleigh, Dacosea and Rumcove are also known as affluent areas. Housing areas nearer the industrial parts of the city have become rather run-down over time, and some are taking decades to recover from the loss of their key economic drivers.

Politics

Generally a good place for the right-wing parties of Flavovespia. When the old Conservative party split in the mid-20s BU over the issue of Independence vs Republicanism, it was the Independent Conservatives winning over the Democratic Conservatives (the backers of Republicanism, the idea of a united Republic for all of the island). However support for the Independent Conservatives collapsed amidst the political and financial crisis in Hadford Hill, eventually leading the city to accept Republicanism. Since the formation of the Republic, Hadford Hill has leant a bit more right-wing than the nation generally, with post-Republic Independence movements gaining some traction, but still a place other parties can pick up seats. Thanks to the older format of the proportional representation system, it was also a common place for small parties to run, needing only ~1% to get a Parliamentary seat, compared to a double digit percentage in the smaller cities. Thus ballot papers in Hadford Hill for general election had a reputation for being extremely long compared to other parts of Flavovespia.
Formerly the Republic of Greater Waldster, internationally known as Greater Watford. IC It's a long story (OOC I didn't like using real place names)

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu May 13, 2021 1:07 pm

A scrappy game for the Dragonflies is ultimately rewarded for three points. Let's not remember whether that's a fair reward. Delaclava had certainly come to Étouille with the intent to trip us up, in any way possible, just to make sure to get a point off of us. Exactly how far they wanted to go to ensure that point was not predicted by Juliasterinthen nearly enough, as the Delaclavans left their stud imprints on the ankles and shins of the Ko-orenite midfield from the start of the game. A midfield (that now employed four players rather than three, the biggest innovation to the formation since switching to a five-man backfield decades ago) that wasn't about to roll over and play dead from the visitors' intensity. Instead of that, they matched it, but made sure not to commit too many fouls. The defence, meanwhile, took that responsibility upon itself, with the scrappy playstyle of Van Schelven and Benjamin perfectly suited to pay back Delaclava for what they were doing. Once the tumultuous opening minutes were over, regular play resumed with the Dragonflies holding on to the ball for most of the match, looking for ready opportunities to catch the opponents off guard with a counterattack. Lysander Forward's unfortunate outing prevented Erisia from scoring one or two early goals, and Odgers' mediocre play almost set up the 0-1. Surviving all this, Odgers came back from a poor start to show just why he was selected for the coveted spot in defensive midfield, a key position to the extremely defensive 5-4-1. The position disappeared from the team sheet for a while, giving rise to a possession-based style, but with the switch from two strikers to one, a position opened up (quite literally), Odgers had a fine season, and now he's making his debut.

Finally, after about half an hour, we saw some action that didn't result in the referee cautioning anyone. Janoreirinthen launched a shot on goal from close range, forcing the goalkeeper to make an athletic save. The ball bounced back into play, where Longchambon attempted an awkward shot to take advantage of the empty net. His shot was a complete whiff, rolled over to Erisia, who scored Ko-oren's first goal of the campaign. The two defenders that hurried to the goal line both overreacted to Longchambon's laughable attempt, and Erisia slotted home a goal over the top of a beaten goalkeeper and two out-of-position defenders. With a lead secured, the team sat back a little to acclimatise. After all, the Delaclavans were still looking for ankles to destroy. The backs passed the ball around, keeping it away from danger, looking for a new avenue of attack - and taking their time doing so. The remainder of the first half ticked away without a lot of trouble, but was intersparsed with Janoreirinthen pot shots and Erisia poach attempts. Longchambon hoped to dribble through the defence a few times (at his own peril), drew a few fouls, but otherwise didn't force good chances.

A few minutes into the second half, Forward came off with injury suspicions. Juliasterinthen was visibly unimpressed with his performance so far - was it really an injury? - and gave Batchelor his first minutes since the World Cup final. The difference was staggering: passing patterns were everywhere now. Any pass could immediately be followed up with a dribble or a pass to an unmarked man. Batchelor snuck in all the half-spaces, gaps, and pockets he could find, but it was Odgers who really stole the show here. The second anyone lost the ball up front, Odgers and the defence were in prime position to win the ball back, and it was often Odgers who picked the pocket of whatever unfortunate Delaclavan forward dared dash into the Dragonflies' den. Of course, the true goal here was the clean sheet - if you score once, never concede anything, you win. It's been our bread and butter for a while and even got us a World Cup final, so it must be a winning strategy (never mind the 30 attempts where that didn't work out for us). The away team did sneak in a few attempts, but Theshendan got to those, if they weren't already blocked by a member of the defence. On several occasions, the Dragonflies cheekily tried out the other goalkeeper, yielding several corner kicks. After 83 minutes, one of these landed squarely on the head of Van Schelven, who pushed it away to the far corner, out of everyone's reach. 2-0 up, the home crowd at the Stade Amandine already saw twice the expected amount of goals. It was now a question of sitting out the remainder of the match. Only Longchambon was taken off after this point, to save him for the tasks ahead, while Vaugrenard played one full minute (and stoppage time), managing one shot, from thirty metres out, just to get his name on the stat sheet.

In the rest of Group 8, Vdara and HUElavia both won their openers, away from home, over Aut-Ves-Nat and Frestovania, respectively. The pot 2 team 'only' won 1-2 which puts them in third place. At this point in the campaign, that doesn't mean much anyway. Both of our upcoming opponents tied each other (3-3), so we know they'll at least try to score some goals - it's up to us to stop them from doing that. In other groups, Newmanistan won 5-7 at Acastanha, our Quebecois neighbours won 6-7 at Indusse, Astograth won 0-5 at Shreekaristan, and two more teams won their home openers by the same margin.

Captain (for the day) Theshendan: "This is what we loved to see. We've still got it! Really happy with the game plan today. Well thought out, well executed, just a solid day all around. Happy with Odgers, it's a difficult job he had to do, but he was phenomenal on his debut. It was all veterans around him, so I don't think he really was ever in danger. I'm looking forward to some of the other guys, but all in due time."
Murai Okawa: "Katanmak never promised playing time, so I'll take what I can get, nah? Erisia is unbeatable lately, so I just have to wait for my chance, and make sure I'm the best on that day. For the rest I still can't believe I made it in."
Benjamin (on his yellow card): "They didn't have to do us like that. Someone had to step in for my brothers. I know I don't have to jump on these guys, but they needed a lesson anyway."
Erisia (on his goal): "Yes! This is what I needed. Amazing to continue where I left off in the World Cup. I'm in that zone right now."

POS/NAME                   M  Y R F P% CS Sav T  B C G A SOG S
GK Larut Theshendan 90 0 0 0 98 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
GK Bengt Palmgroen 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
GK Wellington Doolan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
LF Edialor Aiamara 90 0 0 2 93 0 0 3 1 9 0 0 1 1
LF Emmé Escoffier 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
LB Tij Breukelaar 90 1 0 3 96 0 0 5 0 6 0 0 0 0
LB Calvin Kitchingham 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
CB Minne van Schelven 90 0 0 1 93 0 0 6 0 7 1 0 1 1
CB Jubenar Mallerbury 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
RB Ethan Benjamin 90 1 0 5 97 0 0 5 1 4 0 0 0 1
RB Just Olink 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
RF Aesimila Aelisire 79 0 0 1 91 0 0 3 0 4 0 0 1 1
RF Ézo Gicquel 11 0 0 1 70 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
DM Sinclair Odgers 90 0 0 4 83 0 0 8 0 7 0 0 0 2
DM Reizo Yokota 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
LM Saushilu Janoreirinthen 90 0 0 2 91 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 1 4
CM Jurre Hilberdink 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
RM Lysander Forward 56 0 0 1 78 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 3
RM Harold Batchelor 34 1 0 0 94 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 3
AM Mata Vaugrenard 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
AM Maximilien Longchambon 89 0 0 0 73 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 4
ST Aenemere Erisia 90 0 0 0 76 0 0 2 0 2 1 0 3 6
SS Murai Okawa 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

GK Barre Goossen
LF Winwig Jundy
LB Harmon Mulvahil
RB Rodolfo Parada
LF Emi van Kalvenhaar
RF Hadrian Pazos
CM Kherles Ensaunden
LM Nanko Wormstal
RM Samuel Ulysse
CM Jess Gregory
ST Lew Turner
ST Adée Lavigne

M = Minutes played
Y = Yellow cards
R = Red cards
F = Fouls
P% = Successful pass percentage
CS = Clean sheets
Sav = Saves
T = Tackles
B = Blocks
C = Clearances
G = Goals
A = Assists
SOG = Shots on goal
S = Shots

Lineup for the upcoming games: Theshendan / Aiamara, Breukelaar, Van Schelven, Benjamin, Aelisire / Odgers, Janoreirinthen, Forward, Longchambon / Erisia
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Grearia's Gems: Films

Title: Chasing Dignity (2016)
Director and Star: Kevin Baxter
Cinematography: Graham Ferguson
Editing: Marty Ellingham

The game of football is widely known in the Grearish Union as a sport, but most would still lean towards finding a bat for themselves to try and hit a cricket ball out of the park. Some even wealthier fellows may try out their hand at some tennis, thanks to the legend of Jeff Rogers, and the sturdy ones could take up rugby. But football? Possibly not. The Black Lillies are currently ranked a 153rd in the multiverse as they start their campaign in the 88th World Cup qualifiers, and the lack of a proper local league serves as testament to the fact that it doesn't enjoy the greatest popularity in the country. This is probably where the average Grearish opinion ends, but Kevin Baxter is only getting started.

In the Salvadorian parts of the country, there is stands a primary school in a remote region on the great plains between the awe-inspiringly-high Antane mountains and the great Lake of Eden, named Zelmaneh Primary School - after the Highlander (an ethnic sect) woman who founded the village, and thereafter the institution. There was only one room in this school (if you could call it so), and only the kindergarten kids were allowed inside. Others, who were elder, were forced to attend classes under the glaring Adenham sun. Even then, attendance was always close to perfect - teachers showed up on time, students had every intention to be in class all the time and there was a sense of high importance that was given to education in the community. "It is not just education, it is dignity, my friend," said one of the elders. Apparently, being educated in the Grearish system (as opposed to their traditional one) made them more acceptable to better work outside the village. Yet, like all gripping stories, there was a major issue in the pursuance of this dream.

The government, just after the acquisition of Adenham and Glomridge from San Jose Guayabal, leased lands in the hinterland for public works to continue as they were under Guayabalense command. While this might have made macrocosmic sense to ensure that the Union coffers were filled during the time it took the Guayabalense public infrastructure to fall in with the Grearish system, it was a time bomb set in motion for such poor communities in the heart of Grearia. They were now trapped into renewing expensive government leases if their beloved school was to survive. It was now a question of their dignity.

How this debt was to be paid, however, seemed to have been impossible for the villagers to crack, until the national school football tournament propped up perfectly for them. This is the thing about the Highlanders - they are good at football. You could argue that this is out of compulsion more than a choice, they can kick a mean football, and that's what counts. It is expensive to play other sports, you'd either need exorbitant kits or you'd need fancy men sipping tea in clubhouses. None of which people of the Zelmaneh could afford. What the kids could afford, were balls made out of old socks - and they'd kick it around all day after school. It was their only hope at regaining control of their futures.

The Zelmaneh guardians gathered enough money to get the children into the tournament, but then it was up to them - and it was a fairytale run. All through the massive knockout stages of the competitions, they didn't flinch once. It was like seeing rural Grearia bringing the urban Grearia to 'school' not on football - but on the sheer fighting spirit of a human. Even Atheburn International couldn't match up to the middle-graders from Zelmaneh, because it was their dignity that was on stake, and they would not let that go. It was a scare in the final, though, as Atheburn went 2-0 up, but Zelmaneh never seemed to lose heart. If they lost anything, it was their inhibition, and they damn right did lose it.

When the prize money was brought back to the quaint little village, the joy had flooded its delicate houses - yet unlike most floods, it only strengthened their footing. The school was here to stay after the 99 years that it had already stayed on lease.

Post-release, Chasing Dignity was an instant success in the box office, but the Union government found itself under a lot of pressure to amend these laws of leased lands used by public infrastructure. In what was a significant victory for the film, it was able to change this draconian system to make sure another Zelmaneh never happened. The government now subsidizes all schools in the very remote rural parts of the country almost completely, and takes it upon itself to reach out to those schools that need supplies through a sub-department in the Education ministry on a day-to-day basis.
IC Name: Grearia, The Grearish Union
Area: 655,436 km2 | Population: 88,636,071 | Pop. Density: 135.23 per km2
Champion: GCF World Test Challenge 12 | Host: GCF T20WC 12, R7WC 6, NSTT Salvador Hills Open
A proud member of Esportiva!
This user was behind the erstwhile Gloriax.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports