NATION

PASSWORD

6th Rugby Sevens World Cup - Everything Thread (IC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

San Ortelio
Envoy

Founded: Nov 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby San Ortelio » Fri May 07, 2021 4:38 am

“Sorry, mate, but we’re going to let you cool down a few more minutes.”

The tall officer said it almost apologetic. He had looked into the case from Marco and had calmly gone over the consequences of public intoxication. His voice was calm and reminiscent of a veteran teacher, with the pace of someone who is used to explaining stuff to a difficult audience. Somewhere in the middle of his explanation, the officer pointed out that he had now been in custody for 24 hours and…

Marco had flipped. He had missed a full day of rugby, three games and now he remained stuck here. ‘I must get to the stadium right now!’ he had yelled so loud that a colleague of the officer, a man with puffy cheeks but a more no-nonsense approach had joined the guard.

“How wasted is he that it isn’t out of his system by now? Probably a fan who is not used to-“
“I’m not a fan,” Marco cried, “I’m a player! A player! Look at my shirt, number eight, Vairetti!”
“These don’t look very professional,” the puffy one remarked to his longer coworker.

Frustrated and angered, seeing the clock countdown to the crucial fixture against Bollonich, Marco grabbed the plate on which a meal had been served and frisbeed it through his cell. He regretted it straight away, but realized that he had lost the sympathy of both now. Or not?

“Look, just calm down a little. You won’t get out of here immediately now, the chief is quite a stick in the mud about respect by the inmates but… See, from this angle, you can see the screen, I’ll turn on the rugby match and you can follow your squad,” Tall explained as soon as Puffy was out the door.

True to his word, the officer switched the channel and so, Marco Vairetti had to watch the remaining ten Swordfishes walk on the field – without him. It wasn’t the biggest shock.

Just before kick-off, his eye fell on the lad who joined Bottarelli up front. It could have been a regular rugby player, but for the sevens game, he was far too bulky. The shirt that stretched around his belly had a dark black number ‘eight’ on the back and above it ‘VAIRETTI’. The officer turned around as after two minutes and two tries for Bollonich, the mysterious number eight got subbed off again – Vairetti’s jaw still was hanging near the ground.

“I’ld pick a different player to be a fan of, mate.”

Only fourteen minutes played and they were all knackered. Elejamie was in it to win it, it seemed, and steamrolled over San Ortelio with ease. The quarterfinal against Pratapgadh was just around the corner and the atmosphere dropped below zero. Hunched, all remaining players sat together in the dressing room – Baffi sporting a large bandage over his leg.

“What about…” Baffi tried.
“Yeah, don’t” Daniele snarked, “your plan with your brother was bad enough. You could have mentioned he never played sevens before.”

In the silence, a short sob could be heard in the corner. Simone. A powerful player, one of our best, and now he looked like a tormented puppy.

“What’s the matter?” his nephew asked, putting an arm around him.
“My… My foot.”

Simone Di Basco took off his shoe and it uncovered a soaked, blood-red sock. As Daniele Carcano carefully helped him to remove the textile, it became visible that one of the toes was smacked to pieces.

“Jezus, Simone, how long have you been running around on that?”
“Some… somewhere in the opening minutes against Elejamie. I just got under his studs and…” Di Basco turned his head away from the mess.
“You…” Carcano hesitated a second, realizing this left him with eight players only, but then he looked at the mess that once was a human toe, “you can’t play like this.”

‘We’re gonna need a miracle’, resounded in his head.

At last, the pier came in sight. Ercole looked above, thanking the gods for the clouds which hung over the strait.

He did feel a bit tired, thou.

After arriving in Colk, he had wandered the docks for a while. Initially, most passerby’s looked a bit funny at him – his sweaty shirt and bewildered stare didn’t do him well, in terms of a look. But when the lights died down, most simply ignored him. Unwillingly, he had stepped into the red light district of town, where people were trained to let the other one be. Until… A marvelous woman – or at least, so did the dim street lights tell him – approached him.

“Hi there, handsome rugger, can I interest you in…” she smiled, before bending over and whispering something in his ear.

It was as if her words, slowly but surely, put the wheels in motion in his head.

Six.

He had looked for the sixth city, but it was the city of the six, with six letters. Of course! Without much ado, he thanked the lady for ‘lighting up his world’ (as he called it), jumped into the boat and started peddling. Somewhere halfway on the way back, he had realized that he once again had forgotten about the Sealink – but then again, if you’ve crossed it once in a rowboat, you can do it twice. Now he was closing in on the harbor, where a large clock hanging by the wall told him it was half past one. And for the first time in a long while, Ercole Pagnin thought about rugby.

Hm. Maybe I should swing by the stadium first, see if they need my help?
San Ortelio, your favorite pseudo-Italian, coastal microstate. Less than half a million inhabitants who stand for a rich culture, are governed
by an delicate yet marvellously balanced system and remain economically viable due to fishing and funky tax laws.
But enough about us. Come vai?

We're no international threat, so have our domestic thread.
Definitely check the invitation box in the OP if you want to get involved.

Copper Cuprum
Envoy

Founded: Oct 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Copper Cuprum » Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Rugby Rundown (Sevens Edition!)
with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: COPPER CUPRUM DAY TWO

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. Here, as promised is my recap of day two of the Rugby Sevens World Cup here in Forsho, Grearia. Well, I say it's a recap of day two, but in reality, since the Copperites had a bye on round 4, I've taken the liberty of including the seventh and final round of the pool stage just to make this recap an even stevens three with the day one recap. Ah, symmetry. You love to see it. And now, without further ado, let's get straight into the recap.

Match Four: Copper Cuprum vs. Placely Placington
Copper Cuprum (21)
Try: Heyedy 3' c
Polema 4' c
Honele 6' c
Con: Honele (3/3)
Placely Placington (21)
Try: Subject 7 7' c
Subject 11 11' c
Subject 5 13' c
Con: Subject 3 (3/3)

For Copper Cuprum's fourth game in the pool stage, they've come up against the clones, or more "accurately" the Test Subjects of Placely Placington. You know, back home I've always thought that cloning was a thing that was probably not going to be a thing until I'm in my early 80s, but apparently the folks at Placely Placington have apparently got a machine that can instantaneously clone somebody. And that cloning machine definitely came in handy because I'm pretty sure that there was at least one Test Subject out there who literally broke his neck after skidding along the ground arse-first after a very mistimed tackle. God, I've never seen the human body stretch so much and so far. Of course, any death in a sport is a very serious matter and should be treated with the gravitas that it deserves, but when the team with the deceased player also has a machine that can clone said dead player, that brings up all manner of ethical and philosophical questions, questions that you would never expect to ask simply by watching a game of rugger. I mean, should the clone of the dead player be counted as the same person who died, or should the clone be a different person altogether? Good thing I'm not part of NSRB then, because I'm still very much trying to wrap my head around coming up with a possible solution to this problem. So much so that I've basically forgotten what else happened in this game, only that for some reason the Test Subjects were able to draw with the Copperites.

Match Five: Baker Park vs. Copper Cuprum
Baker Park (14)
Try: Knopper 5' c
Seifferth 8' c
Con: Odekume (2/2)
Copper Cuprum (33)
Try: Honele 2' c
Kasugna 4' c
Isoka 6' c, 7' m
Rex 11' c
Con: Honele (3/4)
Isoka (1/1)

Now we come to the game between the chicken killers and the Commonwealth of Baker Park. Not much for me to say about the game itself; it was an easy win for the Chiefdom. But the really memorable moment about this game was that after it, I met up with some fellow rugger fans from the Commonwealth who have got a podcast. It's called Lots of Ruck, I think. These blokes asked me if I wanted to down a few drinks with them, and as an Irishman, I just cannot the chance to have a drink. It would be an insult to my own heritage if I did. So we went out, we drank, we had a few interviews, and then we called it a night when the sun had already risen again for Sunday. The interviews were short, more like a friendly conversation over a few beers, and I do remember us talking about how sevens has become like a gateway into rugby itself, a nice development from its start as just being something for some mates to do quickly and drunkenly over the weekend. Fun times, if I may say so myself. Once I find the link to my interview on Lots of Ruck then I'll put it in here. That's a promise from yours truly. I really hope we can do this again.

Match Six: Copper Cuprum vs. Kriegiersien
Copper Cuprum (19)
Try: Honele 1' c
Kasugna 3' c
Isoka 7' m
Con: Honele (2/3)
Kriegiersien (21)
Try: Glob 4' c, 6' c
Kent 12' c
Con: Alberz (3/3)

And now here we are, to the final match of the pool stage for Copper Cuprum, against the inimitable and inexplicable Kriegiersien. I honestly cannot believe the number of times that it seems that these fellows appear to be showing up in what I dare to call as "fringe sports". You know, I've always had a strange fascination with Kriegiersien, and I don't know why I have it. It must have something to do with the fact that while it may appear like they're not really taking things too seriously with the kinds of teams that they send out to represent themselves on the international stage, but then you look at the teams themselves and how they play and you realize they're dead serious about whatever sport or tournament they're playing. Truly strange stuff. Add to that the fact that for some reason the people of Kriegiersien (or at the very least those who represent Kriegiersien in the World Cup right now) seem to believe that Copper Cuprum and Abanhfleft are somehow... one and the same. Oh, man. This gives me so much Alpine Union-Terre Septentrionale vibes back from when I mistook those two countries to be somehow similar but different. But trust me, they're totally different. Surprised it took me an actual tour of the place for me to realize that Terre Septentrionale is a completely different nation. But I digress. Copper Cuprum had an early lead but Kriegiersien were able to claw back the deficit before eventually turning it into an advantage after taking advantage of Banunu Honele once again missing what was supposed to be an easy conversion. My Copperite fans and followers must feel absolutely gutted about this development. They're the fourth best rugby sevens side in the world, for God's sake! And now they've been defeated, not by one, but by two unranked teams! Sure, they've still got the Plate to play for, but one feels that they would rather have the Cup in their sights. Ah, the rugby obsession. I must be part-Copperite in between all of that Irish and Hungarian genes floating around in me. XOXO from Graham....
The Chiefdom of Copper Cuprum
Leader: Chief Deg

Client state of the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Chicken killers mad for rugby union, equally mad for rugby sevens, but so much madder for rugby league
Is Esportiva the place? Maybe it is.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Fri May 07, 2021 10:24 am

Ramsey government presents welfare reform bill for fall session

John McAvoy, Political Columnist, Londinium Courier

In their third move to undo the legacy of the PJP-led Nova Anglican government, Michael Ramsey's government has introduced a bill on social benefits, colloquially called "welfare reform", into Parliament at the beginning of the fall session. This has long been a hobbyhorse of the right, who have maintained that the benefits system is far too generous and constitutes a work disincentive, as well as leading to much higher tax burdens. Nova Anglicana has an extensive system of social benefits, no fewer than twelve of which will be affected by this bill: Unemployment benefit, standard cash transfers (or "welfare"), disability allowance, old-age pension, military pension, public employee pension, workers’ compensation, direct housing assistance, public housing, subsidized elder care facilities, the Public Power subsidy, subsidized daycare. Without going into too much detail, here are the broad strokes of the plan for each:

Unemployment benefit: Reduce maximum claim time to 39 weeks from 52 weeks, lower top-line benefit, more stringent rules around reporting looking for a job

Standard cash transfer: Along with a redefinition of the poverty line, this will be condensed into a new "Universal Allowance" program, maximum benefit standardised and done by family size, more stringent work requirements, benefits placed on a card to prevent fraud or misuse

Disability allowance: More stringent requirements to qualify, reduce top-line benefit

Old-age pension: Raise retirement age, reduce current five levels of monthly payment to two, reduce top-line benefit

Military pension: Make qualifying for pension easier, increase benefits across the board, fully exempt from central tax

Public employee pension: Flat benefit for new hires and increase years of service to qualify

Workers’ Compensation: This would be privatised.

Direct housing assistance: Rolled into "Universal Allowance".

Public housing: Privatise some stock, with options for purchase.

Subsidized elder care facilities: Privatise some over a number of years.

Public Power subsidy: This energy subsidy would be rolled into "Universal Allowance".

Subsidized daycare: Some govt-run daycare centres would be privatised, daycare allowance replaced with tax deduction

Although this bill still has to go through the committee process and be subject to amendment, the fact that such a bill was introduced at the beginning of the parliamentary session shows that the Ramsey government did their homework over the summer legislative break. With the tax law in the spring, it took weeks and weeks of negotiations and bill-writing to present it for a vote. By contrast, the Ramsey government thinks that this bill can be passed within a month. The Prime Minister, flanked by Social Services Minister Ann Lewis and Deputy PM Melody Savoy, praised his team's legislative efforts:

"This bill is a major legislative achievement. It's the product of many hours of conference and co-operation among all partners in our coalition. We feel as though everyone's priorities are represented here, and that this is a piece of legislation that will promote initiative, personal responsibility, and restore work incentives in our society. The previous government's reckless spending on benefits encouraged a culture of sloth and dependence; we want to free people up to choose their own path in life. We don't think anyone should resign themselves to a life of poverty where government handouts are their only source of income. We believe in the amazing power of capitalism and good old-fashioned hard work to lift people out of poverty. The proper role of government should be to take care of those who really truly cannot take care of themselves and to not stop anyone else from living up to their true potential."

Rosy words from the Prime Minister, which were most definitely not echoed by PJP and opposition leader Josephine Clark. The newly-elected leader blasted the bill, saying, "Under the guise of individual liberty, trafficking in outmoded stereotypes about benefits recipients and a 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' creed, the Ramsey government has once again shown that it has no regard for and no knowledge about the challenges that the working poor face. These social programs provide a vital safety net for millions of Nova Anglicans, whether they are single parents trying to raise their children, people out of work, families who need affordable childcare services, or our seniors who will have the legs cut out from under them by this bill. It's a despicable act, slashing benefits for the poorest among us to pay for massive tax cuts for the top one percent."

Parliamentary leader of Equality Samantha Speer also had sharp words for the bill, calling it "a reverse Robin Hood plan that would hurt women and people of color disproportionately, as well as push Grandma off a fiscal cliff." Interestingly enough, Liberal Secularist leader Emily Waterford had no comment when asked for her thoughts on the bill. This could be a sign that she wants to maintain a unified opposition and let Clark do the talking, or it could be more troubling. The departure of her parliamentary left wing has strengthened the economic liberals in the caucus, and they might want to have some influence over it or even vote for it. A fractured opposition that supports a bill to slash welfare benefits would create yet another headache for Josephine Clark.

We will surely have more details on the bill as it wends its way through committee. Like the tax bill, it represents a fundamental restructuring of the Nova Anglican state to conform with more right-wing policies after years of PJP-led government. If it succeeds, it will only give more momentum to the Ramsey government, emboldening them as they seek to reform healthcare and education as well, and even perhaps rebalancing the country's immigration laws. In short, this welfare bill is likely the dam-bursting moment for the opposition. If they can't stop it in Parliament or raise a public outcry about it, the right's agenda will almost assuredly be unstoppable and usher in a new era of conservative Nova Anglican governance.

Nova Anglicana 7-29 Abanhfleft

Abanhfleft Try Scorers - Ken Greathouse (Mahout conversion), Justiniano Reid (conversion missed), Markos Iordanou (Mahout conversion), Kurt Pamintuan (conversion missed), Wendel Van Alphen (conversion missed)
Nova Anglicana Try Scorers - Tremblay (Bolden conversion)
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: MATCH SEVEN

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. Here we are, at last, at the final game of the pool stage of the Rugby Sevens World Cup. Much fun was had, especially the night before when I met some very nice fellows from Baker Park who do their own version of Gaelic Gamers and vlogging about rugby. Their thing is called Lots of Ruck and we had a good time chatting about rugger over some beers and ales and spirits, and those last three are probably the reasons why I feel like Paul Partridge is scoring tries on my head the whole morning. When they put up their interview with me, I'll put a link to that episode here. In the meantime, let's go talk about this pool decider between the Lions and the Revolutionaries.

I mean, the reason why this game is so big is right there at the end of the previous sentence. This game will decide who wins Pool B and gets the better seeding for the Cup. Given the state of our pool, it was almost expected that it was going to be us and the Lions. And for once, the predictions actually proved true. Alice Bay and Pratapgadh looked like they could have had a chance to have a say in the pool fight, but they didn't. Sannyamathland and Darkmania could have been banana peels for either team but didn't really do much to slow us down, and Udmar... well, the less said about them, the better. But now back to Lions versus Revolutionaries. Abanhfleft drew first blood through Ken Greathouse, but Mahout was unable to make the con so the score remained 5-0 to the Flefts. Nova Anglicana then thought that they had equalized in the 3rd minute via a Robbie McCracken try, only for the TMO to say that he grounded the rock just shy. That would prove to be the killing blow to the Lions, as Paul Partridge and Greathouse scored two tries in just as many minutes to essentially end Nova Anglicana's charge for the lead in Pool B. Jean Tremblay would eventually score a try that counts, but unfortunately for him and his team, it wouldn't be enough to charge them into a second half push.

Well, out of the frying pan and straight into the fire. Our reward for winning Pool B is a faceoff against Darmen. I mean, what are the odds of that happening? We get Darmen, while Nova Anglicana get TJUN-ia. I was just about to say that I would have preferred to have TJUN-ia as a quarterfinals opponent than Darmen, but then I remembered that despite their relative newness to the multiversal sporting scene (is newness even a word? Apparently it is because my spell checker isn't marking it up) the Jaguars have been taking the sporting world by storm. They won't be any pushovers, that's for sure. And to be honest, I'm not sure if there's any team out there whom I would want Abanhfleft to face in the quarters because if you've been following Abanhfleft for as long as I have, you will know that the Revolutionaries have the uncanny ability to cock things up, especially when they're considered as the favourites. And even if we're considered the underdogs (which we're not in this particular contest, by the way) we'll find a way to end the Cinderella story with an abrupt needle scratch. It's just the Fleftic way, sadly. And despite all that, I wouldn't have it any other way. XOXO from Graham....

Nova Anglicana (7)
Try: Tremblay 6' c
Con: Bolden (1/1)
Abanhfleft (29)
Try: Greathouse 1' c
Reid 4' m
Iordanou 5' c
Pamintuan 9' m
Van Alphen 11' m
Con: Mahout (2/4)
Reid (0/1)
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Fri May 07, 2021 10:56 am

Kevin Gabriel was feeling pretty good so far. After all, despite the loss against Bollonich in the second game of the tournament, his side had done very well so far. Some quite hefty wins, some solid defending and a very good payoff. All of which helped him with a spot in the next round. While he still hadn't made up his mind on whether or not to keep the top job at the end of the tournament, especially since St. Andrews Point RFC now had an empty head coaching job and that could serve as further experience (which he brought up in an interview with Drop Goal regular Dave Carrey), he had an inkling that if he kept up this run the big bosses would probably put in a good word for him. Especially since the last two games kind of served as an idea of what he was like.

First up, there was the match against Suimede, a team that hadn't won anything so far. And, indeed, didn't win anything after this match. Coach Kevin decided to take another relaxed stance to this match but, unlike the last time they tried this tactic out and it completely backfired on them, he at least wanted his players to at least try. And, indeed, "try" was the all important word there because his boys scored three of them in the space of two minutes; first Paul Koppel scored a try in the 4th minute, then Adam McCracken and then Koppel again. All three tries were converted by Gary Toda, who'd also score and convert a try of his own in the 8th minute. There was a slight problem with Marcus Ruiz accidentally tackling an opposing player the wrong way and, thus, having to be sin-binned for a couple of minutes which lead to a try and an easy conversion from it being in front of the posts, but at least Toda was able to score a brace of penalties in the 11th and 13th minute to help his side to a 34-7 victory to finally move them to the top spot.

And then there was San Ortelio. A team that may have been relatively new to the competition (they were at Coffs Harbour where they made it to the Plate Final only to lose 22-12... to Elejamie) but were still quite a solid side. As such, Coach Kevin didn't want to take any chances. After all, while the opposition were coming off of a 26-17 defeat to Bollonich, they were still a reasonably strong side who had three other victories under their belt. A win or a draw for them probably would've seen them go into the Cup stage instead and saw Elejamie having to play for the Plate yet again. And, with the absolute fiasco that was their last tournament despite still winning some silverware, that was something they didn't need.

It also didn't help that, early on, Elejamie had conceded a penalty. No one really knew what happened, all they knew was that the ruck collapsed, there was a faint popping sound and one of the opposing players was running funny throughout the rest of the match. Not to mention that Stefano Di Basco managed to convert it quite easily to give his side a 3-0 lead after only a couple of minutes. This was then followed shortly afterwards by a failed penalty by Toda but also another try from San Ortelio, with Sergio Zanatta being the lucky scorer and the elder Di Basco netting the extras to make it a 10-0 lead after only a few minutes. It seemed like the tournament would be in for another shock. Fortunately,

Fortunately, they got the memo and started to get things going again. McCracken scored a try at some point in the 6th minute with Toda easily converting it to make it a 10-7 defecit by half-time. Sure the scales were still somewhat tipped in San Ortelio's favour but anything could happen in that second half. Maybe it could've been San Ortelio continuing to pull off the odds or Elejamie making a massive comeback to remain on top. It turned out to be the latter as McCracken scored another try in the tenth minute, David Kramer scoring another try a minute after that and, in the dying minutes of the match, Koppel rounding things off with a fourth try for his team. With Toda making it four out of four conversions despite the angles he had to work with, the final score was 28-10 in Elejamie's favour.

As a result of that match, Elejamie had secured their spot as group leaders and a spot in the Cup stage. While it wasn't perfect, unlike Lisander and Abanhfleft who were able to get all six wins, a 5-0-1 record was nothing to be sniffed at. And while they scored the fewest amount of points by a group winner (166), with second played Darmen scoring ten more points than them, Elejamie were never about high-scoring wins. It was always about getting the job done and doing it well. And, indeed, they've shown that they were capable of doing exactly that. Meanwhile, the overachieving Bollonich and San Ortelio still had to settle for competing for the plate, whereas the Licentian Isles and the United States of Devonta would have to play for the bowl. Suimede were eliminated entirely. It could've been worse, though. They could've been Udmar.

However, it wasn't all good news. Shortly after the match, it turned out that San Ortelian centre Simone Di Basco had had one of his toes absolutely destroyed. When the news broke, the jubilant Elejamian changing room instead turned to worry and concern. Especially for one player when he realised what had happened. Riley Kroger must've accidentally trod on Simone's foot and broke something during that ruck that eventually lead to a penalty. It certainly explained the popping sound he heard during the match. The Avon Knights prop felt incredibly sick upon the revelation and sought to make amends, especially since he didn't get carded or sent off for it. He voluntarily withdrew himself from the next match even though his coach told him it wasn't necessary and tried to find out which hospital Simone was staying at just so he could pay any and all hospital bills, maybe send some flowers as well. It was the least he could do, after all.

So who were Elejamie facing in that next match? None other than Barunia. This wouldn't be the first time these two teams met in any code, as they faced off against each other at the 26th Rugby World Cup final, which the Waves won. While there had probably been a match between the two teams' sevens teams, Coach Kevin was unable to remember when it was, where it was and what the score was. Besides, he would rather concentrate on how they did this tournament. And they didn't do super badly, as they won four games and only lost two; a 36-7 opening defeat to the undefeated Lisander and a 33-17 loss to Quebec and Shingoryeo. Furthermore, they didn't have a positive point differential until their final two rounds, which might also be a bit of an issue for them.

But, regardless, Kevin didn't want his side to become complacent. After all, avenging their dismal showing in Coffs Harbour was only three games away. Not to mention there were some other strong teams who had made it into the Cup stage. Obviously there was Lisander, Abanhfleft and Nova Anglicana, but there was also Kriegiersien and TJUN-ia. And Darmen and Barunia are also quite tough opponents that require a bit of know-how just to overcome. But the Elejamians put that all to one side for now and concentrated on winning this upcoming match. Maybe, just maybe, they'd be able to complete the treble and be world champions in all three codes. Best thing to do was to wait, train and see.
Last edited by Elejamie on Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Fri May 07, 2021 11:12 am

Matchday 8

ImageQuarterfinals, Sunday
Drizzle, 15°C at Seagull Cavern, Forsho
Sunday's Quarterfinals
Bowl Quarterfinals
12:39 QF-B1 Sevendia 24–12 Sannyamathland
13:01 QF-B2 Alice Bay 31–5 Placely Placington
13:23 QF-B3 The Licentian Isles 19–21 Grearish Union
13:45 QF-B4 Hebitaka 26–12 United States of Devonta
Plate Quarterfinals
14:07 QF-P1 Hannasean Federation 17–33 Commonwealth of Baker Park
14:29 QF-P2 Pratapgadh 7–45 San Ortelio
14:51 QF-P3 Bollonich 29–5 Darkmania
15:13 QF-P4 Copper Cuprum 38–12 Quebec and Shingoryeo
Cup Quarterfinals
15:35 QF-C1 Lisander 21–28 Kriegiersien
15:57 QF-C2 Abanhfleft 38–12 Darmen
16:19 QF-C3 Elejamie 26–10 Barunia
16:41 QF-C4 TJUN-ia 12–24 Nova Anglicana

Schedule for Sunday's Semifinal Proceedings
Plate Semifinals
17:18 SF-P1 Commonwealth of Baker Park v San Ortelio
17:40 SF-P2 Bollonich v Copper Curprum
Bowl Semifinals
18:02 SF-B1 Sevendia v Hebitaka
18:24 SF-B1 Alice Bay v Grearish Union
Cup Semifinals
18:46 SF-C1 Kriegiersien v Elejamie
19:08 SF-C1 Abanhfleft v Nova Anglicana

Draw procedure:
  • Winner of QF-B1 was drawn to play one of the winners of QF-B2, QF-B3 and QF-B4. The two remaining teams were drawn against each other.
  • Winner of QF-P1 was drawn to play one of the winners of QF-P2, QF-P3 and QF-P4. The two remaining teams were drawn against each other.
  • Winner of QF-C1 was drawn to play one of the winners of QF-C2, QF-C3 and QF-C4. The two remaining teams were drawn against each other.
  • Losers were eliminated.
Weather forecast:
  • Rain, 14°C
Last edited by The Grearish Union on Fri May 07, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
IC Name: Grearia, The Grearish Union
Area: 655,436 km2 | Population: 88,636,071 | Pop. Density: 135.23 per km2
Champion: GCF World Test Challenge 12 | Host: GCF T20WC 12, R7WC 6, NSTT Salvador Hills Open
A proud member of Esportiva!
This user was behind the erstwhile Gloriax.

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Fri May 07, 2021 11:52 am

Bollonich progresses
It was cloudy, the settings for an intense afternoon match. The Rugy 7s team from Bollonich came face to face against the team of Darkmania, who had finished 4th in their respective Pool. The match seemed like it was going to be highly competitive, as both teams had performed really well in their groups. But suprisingly it wasn’t. The match was controlled by the Bollonischian players, they performed very well. The match was in Bollonich’s grasp and the players never let go. It was a consistent performance throughout the match with the players never dropping their intensity. After a strong display and victory with a scoreline of 29-5 the teams moves on into the Plate semifinals. In the semi finalsBollonich is to face Copper Cuprum, the team that finished with 13 points and a 3rd position in Pool D. Copper Cuprum have a tremendous ranking of 4 hence their presence in the Plate semifinals and not in the respective cup ones is surprising. But what this means for the Bollonschian players is a very difficult draw in the semi finals of the cup. A similar performance to what the Lacrosse team pulled out against Banija would be needed to progress which can only be hoped for.
Meh

San Ortelio
Envoy

Founded: Nov 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby San Ortelio » Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm

“So, you need me here, chief?”

Daniele Carcano remained in limbo for a second or two, whether he had to smack Ercole Pagnin in the face or whether he had to embrace him. The junior of the selection had disappeared into thin air about two days ago and popped up in the dressing room now as if he had just ran an errand.

“Where… How?” Carcano couldn’t understand.
“Jeeezus Christ,” Pagnin shouted, “Simone! That looks awful! Why on earth aren’t you in a hospital?”

The others were not aware that he didn’t have any shuteye in the last 72 hours, but he did seem to be the only one with his mind still intact. Limping, supported by the gaffer, Simone Di Basco left the Seagull Cavern in tears. It wouldn’t be the only time that day he was in tears. Riley Kroger, the prop of the Elephants, kindly visited him in the hospital. As the player from Elejamie entered the room with a bouquet, the waterworks started flowing. Only after insisting multiple times by Di Basco that there were no hard feelings, Kroger returned to play for his national team in the business end of the tournament.

In the stadium, in the meanwhile, it seemed as if the deus ex machina from Pagnin rekindled the spirits. Even more than that – the remaining mystery around Vairetti seemed forgotten and they took on Pratapgadh with unseen hunger. By the time the third minute was over, three tries had been scored and converted with danger coming from all corners: Zanatta, Di Basco and Gelfi got themselves on the scoreboard. The Seven Stallions were taken aback and it caught the red-and-orange between a rock and a hard place. Many on their line-up saw this as their final appearance and they utterly refused to end their careers with a shutout: but it did their organization no good and when the seventh minute had passed, an exaggerated 38-0 graced the scoreboard.

“Ok, guys, no stupidity, no tricks. Save energy when possible – if we keep our heads in it, there’s another game to play for and it will be a hard one.”

Daniele Carcano tried to keep his voice from flipping over – a top-twelve spot on their very first World Cup would be an unanticipated success for the selection. Going back into positions for the second half, Bottarelli knocked on Ercole’s shoulder.

“You ok, bud? You look a bit tired.”
“Yeah… I rowed over the strait twice, so I’m starting to feel it in my arms.”
“You… What?”
“Rowed over the strait twice.”

Gianluca Bottarelli almost missed the kick-off, still trying to pick up his jaw from the ground. Pratapgadh restored the balance in the game and for a long time, it seemed as if the only try of the half would be of Pratapgadhi signature: Dilkan Pathak found space where no one else did and salvaged his side from an unfair nil on the scoreboard. With the final minute counting down, they attempted an all-out attack for a second try – the game was lost anyway. But substitute Cimini kept a cool head, intercepted and sent Pagnin into the boulevard. Unstoppably, Ercole Pagnin darted sixty yards across the field to score the final try of the game. He coolly placed it behind the line and…

“See that!” he shouted to Sergio Zanatta, who had followed him in case of required back-up.
“There, in the stands!”

Zanatta tried to follow his finger – nothing but a sea of international rugby fans, seated all mixed together and celebrating the sport.

“On the front row! Of course!”

Before Zanatta could utter a word, Pagnin shouted something, jumped over the boarding. He grabbed an officer, who helped out the stewards in that corner, asked a short question and then disappeared into one of the exits. Stefano Di Basco, who picked up the ball for the conversion, pointed towards Sergio.

“What on earth happened?”
“I don’t know… He’s just… Gone again.”
“What did he say?”
“Not a lot… Something about police and six letters.”

In the police station, Marco Vairetti had given up his efforts. He seemingly had gone through all stages of the cycle: begging, shouting, negotiating. But he had kicked against the proverbial shins of the highest-ranked officer with his behavior and as polite as they were, the authorities had no lust for hooliganism of any kind during the course of this tournament. And so he had watched the successful quarterfinals from his cell, docile as a lamb. A bit of him inside had cheered, but he had given up hope to share the pitch with his teammates. How would he ever be able to face them again? Marco lay down on his bed, face to the wall, letting all thoughts run through his head – he couldn’t even overhear the conversation of the wardens.

“He does look calm and composed now – trust me, he’s ready to be let off,” one claimed. After thirty years on the job, he knew the ins and outs of the folks that housed his cells by a glance.
“They’re still running an investigation,” his fellow guard disagreed – with just three years of experience, he was much more inclined to paperwork, “apparently there is still the ‘destruction of public property’.”
“All that for a plate? Pff…” the veteran sighed, “the commander is just a stickler, that’s all.”
“Hey, hey, just a plate? These rugby players work their back off for just a plate,” the other one grinned. “Besides, I think it’s more about his back story.”

The first one glimpsed for a second to the cell of Vairetti. He always liked the weekend shift – it always were the characters on those days.

“He claims he is part of the San Ortelio national team,” the junior continued.
“That’s a dedicated fan, I mean, it’s…”
“No, no. He thinks he is an actual player.”
“Him? He’s got the right shoulders for it but… It’s not as if anyone in a rugby shirt wandering through Forsho with bloodshot eyes can claim he’s a player in the World Cup.”

With the whisper of his last words, the double door to the hall which lead to the exit was pushed open violently. The man who stood there looked as if he had been soaked and then left to dry out in a bush. His clothes were dirty, there were smudges on his face and arms, the red nearly crowded out the white of his eyes and a bit of dribble ran from his mouth. In one word, he looked repulsive – and then we hadn’t gone into the sweaty odor which escaped from his light-blue rugby shirt.

“I’m a player of the San Ortelian national rugby team and I’m looking for your help,” the man exclaimed.

After a moment of silence, the veteran whistled between his teeth.

“This is the most bizarre hidden camera I’ve ever known.”
San Ortelio, your favorite pseudo-Italian, coastal microstate. Less than half a million inhabitants who stand for a rich culture, are governed
by an delicate yet marvellously balanced system and remain economically viable due to fishing and funky tax laws.
But enough about us. Come vai?

We're no international threat, so have our domestic thread.
Definitely check the invitation box in the OP if you want to get involved.

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 am

Zane Anthony: "Hello scrummers, we're back for a playoff edition of Lots of Ruck. I'm Zane Anthony, Ricky G has run farther and faster than at any time in his life to see if he can get a couple of words from the Blye-Grays after a really excellent win over the Hannasean Federation in the Plate quarters that just ended. We'll be meeting up with the winner of this next match, Pratapgadh against San Ortelio, who you might have heard of when the soccer National Team played them in the last World Cup.

In the meantime, Ricky wanted me to play this interview from this morning he had with Graham O'Doherty which he forgot to upload earlier. So have a listen, and we'll be back later with another update."

Previously recorded
Ricky Gillingham: "Welcome to a Double Secret episode of Lots of Ruck. I'm here drinking Bloody Mary's next to the indoor pool of the Grearish Plaza Hotel in Forsho, with our new Friend of the Show, Graham O'Doherty from the popular Fleftic sports blog Gaelic Gamers. First off, Cheers and thanks for your generosity (glasses clink)"

GO'D: "Cheers. It's been my pleasure.

RG: "We're headed for the final day here. How do you see things shaking out? Your guys are looking really impressive right now"

GO'D: "Yeah, it's looking like our pool is the strongest one so far, Lisander is looking dangerous, your pool and the Elejamie one are still pretty wide open. It's been really interesting to see a lot of lower ranked sides do so well here."

RG: "Sevens is really getting popular in the Commonwealth, what about in Abanhfleft? Is it a path to fifteens, or is it developing as something independent from traditional union?"

GO'D: "It's grown from just something you'd get together with your mates on a Saturday afternoon to goof around to a major discipline all its own. I'm on the fence as to whether it'll make union better overall, or whether it'll separate itself completely into a stand alone code."

RG: "once again, thanks for the hospitality. Zane is still lights out in your room, but we enjoyed having a chance to talk about the game with you. Best wishes in the future and hope we can get together again soon."

GO'D: "It's been good fun. Thanks for having me."
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kriegiersien » Sat May 08, 2021 6:58 am

The Roaring Rugby Rowdies

Your truthful source for All Rugby

6th Rugby Sevens World Cup

Lisander 21–28 Kriegiersien

Lisander 21–28 Kriegiersien. Yes, read it again. It really happened. Kriegiersien beat Lisander. In Rugby. Sevens. And it was deserved. Now dare we dream of more? Can these young geezers win the World Cup?
But now it is getting harder every time. Next stop Elejamie. And to destroy their dreams of winning every version of the three big Rugby types.

++++

A woman is sitting in comfortable chair, letting her fingernails done by a man in kimono wearing a scary mask. Colourful light falls through the glass dome hundreds of feet above her.

A further servant approaches.

“Nice new look today, Madame”, he says, but she ignores him.
“It is working as you wished. Kriegiersien lost against Xania as you ordered in Lacrosse, but their Rugby 7ns team won against Lisander.”

The woman yawns and looks bored. She waves with her left hand.
“Workworkwork. Lisander. Kriegiersien, Xabia. It doesn’t interest me any more. Tell me about Bollonich, San Ortelio or Elejamie.”

The man begins to give reports and tell stories from these nations, at the mentioning from San Ortelio the women sniggers slightly, but her face immediately becomes neutral again.

“Good, good. Let it rain a bit more then.”

“The temperature?”

“14.”

“Who should win the Cup, the Bowl and the plate?”

“I haven’t decided yet. I wish I could make the french fries a bit more salty in the stands of the stadium. But that is not my doing, right?”
She smiles. It looks painful on her face.

“I fear not, Mylady.”

She sighs.

“Then turn on the marble, I want to watch Football.”

Last edited by Kriegiersien on Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sat May 08, 2021 7:37 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: CUP QUARTERFINALS

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. Here we are, finally, in the time of the competition where the boys are separated from the men, the wheat from the chaff. In case you haven't noticed from my tone, Abanhfleft have done well. We're through to the semifinals, baby! However, let's not celebrate too much just yet. Due to the nature of rugby sevens, a loss in the semifinals means that we're straight out of the fight for the Cup altogether. But now I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Let's first talk about how we got here, and then we'll talk about where we're headed.

Don't let my cheerful tone right now fool you all, my dear followers. My butthole has been firmly clenched ever since we played the first game because, lest we forget, this is Abanhfleft we're talking about here. Every game is an opportunity for our country to slip up, and we all know what happens when Abanhfleft slips up. It snowballs, and before you know it, one loss has turned into five. Luckily this hasn't happened today, but I've been through such things so many times before that I don't even bother to count. Nevertheless, we're through to the quarters, and we're up against the green-clad men of Darmen. Now normally Darmen are an absolute force to be reckoned with in the world of rugby, but here in the sevens realm, I can't say that I've been convinced of their performance this pool stage. And the same can be said for Darmen against us.

I came into this game expecting a rough, tough match between two rugby giants. I walked out having witnessed a bloodbath. Abanhfleft scored first blood in the first minute, and soon as Marouane Mahout landed the second try I just knew that this game was over. Our lads were stifling the Darmenis so much I'm surprised none of them simply dropped unconscious. Okay, maybe not the best of metaphors to use but you get my point, hopefully. At least Darmen gave us a good fight, but I have a feeling that they will still walk away from this game feeling that they could have done so much more. It's honestly a shame, really. Abanhfleft versus Darmen should be at the very least a rugby semifinal in my honest opinion. But oh well. This is the way the pools and the draw unfolded, and to trot out the cliche, you can only play the teams in front of you. And in front of us in the semifinal is, once again, Nova Anglicana. I mean, we've already played them before and beat them. Can we do the same in the semis? History and my own experience would suggest probably not. But despite that I will continue to believe. There's no harm in believing in something now, is there? Even if the eventual disappointment will be immeasurable, at least I still believed. XOXO from Graham....

Abanhfleft (38)
Try: Partridge 1' c
Mahout 2' c, 5' c
Greathouse 3' m
Van Alphen 8' m
Iordanou 9' c
Con: Mahout (3/4)
Reid (1/2)
Darmen (12)
Try: Fitzroy 4' m
Hafner 7' c
Con: Fitzroy (1/2)

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Bollonich » Sat May 08, 2021 7:53 am

Copper Cuprum Rituals untder attack
This doesn't reflect the views of the Republic of Bollonich and only reflects the views of the author

Copper Cuprum’s Rugby team’s pre game ritual is well known all over the multiverse. Their ritual frankly is horrifying and the idea of slicing the throat of a real chicken is frankly disgusting. I am sorry if I find such acts of animal abuse highly offensive and not appropriate for society. Let me ask you, what are we promoting when players from a nation actively, slit the throats of rubber chickens and would’ve slit the throats of really chickens’ had the tournament been host elsewhere. Are we trying to tell society that these types of actions are fine. Absolutely not, in international competitions like these it is important, players maintain a minimum standard of discipline. Considering Copper Cuprum is the next team the Bollonischian national Rugby team, it will be important to see the results. However this barbaric practice exercised by the Copper Cuprum players needs to be stopped in the sake of discipline and positive impacts on society at a whole.
Meh

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am

Bids for the 2021 ERC 7s

After a still successful tournament in Playa de Rocas despite circumstances forced one stadium to play their games behind closed doors while another played to a smaller crowd than normal, coupled with the fact that CR Los Reyes were relegated at the end of the 2019-2020 season, the ERF announced that they were opening up bids to host the next installment in time for August 2021. Four cities, all of which are home to teams to teams in the ERC, have made their intentions known and where they plan to host each game, with them nominating two stadiums to host each group and where they plan on putting the knock-out stages; by complete coincidence, all four cities are all going to have their knock-out stages the same way. And with the underdogs Alvis, favourites Avon, just there Iceland and second favourites Murgon all battling it to see if they can host it, let's have a quick look at all eight stadiums, who resides there and a little bit of history and information about them.

ALVIS: Halo Park and Alvis Ground

Halo Park will be the main ground and will host Pool A, all the Cup games and the Plate Final. The home to the Alvis Rams in the ERC, the Alvis Mechanics in the HBRL and the Alvis Derby in League One, around 25,000 fans can fit in this all-seater stadium. Sponsored by Halo Electronics, the stadium was built in 1993 at Alvis Regional Park and underwent a series of naming rights changes ever since the late 90s; it was first sponsored by the Rapid Beer Co. from 1997-2000, then by Apparitions Spirits from 2000-2004, then by Smithfield Insurance from 2004-2009, then by the Alvis Building Society from 2009-14 before eventually being sponsored by Halo Electronics from 2014 in a deal that'll run out at the end of the 2021-2022 League One season.

Alvis Ground will be the second ground and will host Pool B, all the Plate games barring the Final and all the Bowl games. The home of Alvis Red Star FC in League 3-A as well as Alvis Athletics in the Elejamian Summer Soccer Cup, around 12,000 fans can easily fit in the all-seater stadium, located in the Stoke district between the suburbs and the main city. Although there isn't much of a history of rugby, league or union, at the stadium the pitch does easily conform to ERF standards and there were plans to have it host the Mechanics when they were first formed in the early 1990s before everything fell through. It was briefly called the City of Alvis Ground when the city council owned it in the mid 2000s but reverted back it its original name once the stadium found a new owner.

AVON: Argonaut Lane and Presley Field

Argonaut Lane will be the main ground and will host Pool A, all the Cup games and the Plate Final. It's also home to the Avon Knights in the ERC, the Avon Warriors in the HBRL, the Avon White Diamonds FC in the Elejamian Summer Soccer Cup and Avon LFC in Women's League One. It won't be hosting anything sevens-related for the first time, however, as they co-hosted the inaugural ERC 7s back in 2016 alongside the Coventry Rugby Ground in the capital Coventry, located just across the Garpu River. Named after the street in which it's located, this stadium is the largest in the ERC and can seat around 30,000 fans, although whether or not it'll have enough fans to fill it to capacity will remain to be seen.

Presley Field will be the second ground and host Pool B, all the Plate games barring the final and all the Bowl games. Currently the home of Avon FC in League One, it was also the second home of the Avon Knights from 1950 until their move to the then-newly constructed Argonaut Lane in 1981. Named in honour of William Presley who helped found the city, it can fit 35,000 fans although the north and south stands will be tarped off; whether it's because they're not expecting to get that many fans or so they can justify it being the second ground remans unknown. Regardless, the size and prestige of the arena might help tip things in Avon's favour.

ICELAND: Knottsbridge Stadium and BBE Park

Knottsbridge Stadium will be the main ground and will host Pool A, all the Cup games and the Plate Final. Home of the Iceland Panthers in the ERC and the Iceland Foxes in the HBRL, meaning that it's only rugby-exclusive stadium included in the bidding process, around 19,500 people are able to fit in the stadium. Located in the Riverside district of the city, only a stone's throw away from Knotts Bridge that united both halves, it's also the newest stadium in the whole bidding process as it was built in 2005 to replace the old Iceland City Stadium that hosted the bulk of Iceland's sports teams. The downside is that the Iceland metro doesn't have a station near it meaning that it might be a small trek for fans but the upside is that there will be dedicated bus routes to help fans out should this bid be successful.

BBE Park will be the second ground and will host Pool B, all the Plate games barring the final and all the Bowl games. Home to Iceland Central FC in League 3-A and the Surter Superstars in the Elejamian Summer Soccer Cup, around 10,000 people are able to fit into the stadium. Located a couple of kilometres up the road from Knottsbridge, it was originally called the Port Adam Park after the part of the city it was named after before Smithfield Insurance bought the naming rights for it after the deal with now-Halo Park ran out (although to avoid confusion it was named the Smithfield Insurance Park in Iceland). After that deal ran out in 2019 BBE Wholesales bought the naming rights and just called it BBE Park.

MURGON: Mosshill Park and South Murgon Park

Mosshill Park will be the main ground and will host Pool A, all the Cup games and the Plate Final. Home of the Murgon Bullfrogs in the ERC and Murgon City FC in League Two (soon to be League One come the start of the new season), around 22,500 fans are able to fit in the stadium and watch a game of rugby or soccer. Originally planned to be called the Bullfrogs Park and be simply a home for the local rugby union side, Murgon City announced their plans to move in at the last possible second and, as such, meant that the ground was to be expanded by a further 5,000 seats. Named after the area of Murgon in which it's located, there were also plans early on to give the naming rights to an unknown company but a series of misfortunes meant that they had to be scrapped and it had to be given a normal name.

South Murgon Park will be the second ground and will host Pool B, all the Plate games barring the final and all the Bowl games. Home to the Murgon Power in the HBRL, Murgon Fortune in the Elejamian Summer Soccer Cup and Burnett University Phoenix in the University League, 11,000 people are will be able to attend games. Furthermore, it can also expand to allow a further 1,500 fans if necessary. Located in the south of Murgon, in the Oakdale district of the city, it was originally called the Hinckley Bank Park upon construction in 2001 until 2006, when it just simply became the South Murgon Park. It's also located a couple of blocks away from a bus terminal, making it even easier for fans to get around the city and go between games.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

Copper Cuprum
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Copper Cuprum » Sat May 08, 2021 11:00 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: COPPER CUPRUM PLATE QUARTERFINALS

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. If you thought that I was done covering Copper Cuprum then you would be mistaken. One of the joys of covering rugby sevens is the fact that you don't even have to move around much if you're covering two teams, mostly because all games are played in usually only one venue and you don't have to get up from your seat except to answer the call of nature, and you can do that when the game being played is between teams you're not really following. But enough waffling about with the logistics of following multiple teams during a World Cup event. Let's get to the Plate quarterfinals between Copper Cuprum and Quebec and Shingoryeo.

I have to admit that I'm not really familiar with the Quebecois as a rugby nation. I'm more familiar with their ice hockey and gridiron teams, to be perfectly honest. So I'm not really sure how to gauge the performance of this team against Copper Cuprum's. Looking at their record in the pool stage doesn't really make for good reading, and so far they haven't bothered to identify their players. All they've got are jerseys with numbers, but no names to connect those numbers to. But the Copperites didn't let that be an obstacle to them. Instead, they simply continued to play the way they've always played in this World Cup, and while the results in the pool stage haven't really been to their liking, at least it's given them a chance to snag the Plate. The Copperites were methodical, and while they suffered a few slip-ups here and there, the end result was still a victory for the chicken killers.

Having said that, there is absolutely no reason for my Copperite followers and fans to expect a similar thing happening against their fellow Plate semifinalists Bollonich. Much like TJUN-ia, Bollonich are a new face on the international sporting scene but they've taken the place by storm. Granted, they've only been in a few events so far, but judging from their performances in this World Cup, and the stories that Cousin Aisling has been regaling me with from the World Lacrosse Championships, they're in here for the long run. What I'm basically saying is, get ready for a tough fight from Bollonich, Copperites. They're not going to give up on the Plate easily. XOXO from Graham....

Copper Cuprum (38)
Try: Polema 1' m, 4' c
Kasugna 2' c, 7' c
Isoka 5' c
Hizekte 10' m
Con: Honele (4/5)
Isoka (0/1)
Quebec and Shingoryeo (12)
Try: 8' c
12' m
Con: (1/2)

Chicken killers mad for rugby union, equally mad for rugby sevens, but so much madder for rugby league

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Sat May 08, 2021 11:04 am

Matchday 9

ImageSemfinals, Sunday
Rain, 14°C at Seagull Cavern, Forsho
Sunday's Semifinals
Plate Semifinals
17:18 SF-P1 Commonwealth of Baker Park 7–35 San Ortelio
17:40 SF-P2 Bollonich 7–31 Copper Cuprum
Bowl Semifinals
18:02 SF-B1 Sevendia 33–19 Hebitaka
18:24 SF-B1 Alice Bay 17–26 Grearish Union
Cup Semifinals
18:46 SF-C1 Kriegiersien 14–24 Elejamie
19:08 SF-C1 Abanhfleft 24–12 Nova Anglicana

Schedule for Sunday's Final Proceedings
Plate Final
19:30 GF-P San Ortelio v Copper Cuprum
Bowl Final
19:52 GF-B Sevendia v Grearish Union
Cup Final
20:14 GF-C Elejamie v Abanhfleft

Draw procedure:
  • Cup semifinal winners play each other.
  • Plate semifinal winners play each other.
  • Bowl semifinal winners play each other.
  • Losers are eliminated.
Weather forecast:
  • Sunny, 15°C
Last edited by The Grearish Union on Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion: GCF World Test Challenge 12 | Host: GCF T20WC 12, R7WC 6, NSTT Salvador Hills Open

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: CUP SEMIFINALS

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. We're really gonna try and do this now, aren't we? We're really gonna try and gun for the Cup. I suppose it's just fair though. We lost out on a whole lot of shit in the last World Cup that going all the way seems to be the only way to atone for this. And of course it had to be a rematch with the Lions of Nova Anglicana. Very, very recent history would suggest that this would be an easy win for Abanhfleft, but that fails to take into account the fact that Abanhfleft is Abanhfleft, and we are liable to slip up and choke when everyone expects us to be triumphant and dominant. The only question is how painful is the loss going to be?

Turns out this wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be. At least Nova Anglicana gave us a proper fight. The quarterfinal against Darmen was over as soon as the second try landed for our Revolutionaries, but this semifinal was a different matter. Nova Anglicana and Abanhfleft were exchanging tries in the first half, and it was only thanks to Marouane Mahout's accurate right foot that our boys held a very slender 2-point advantage into the break. And then our defense got their shit together and stopped the Lions from scoring any more tries. Personally, I always thought that that was a good strategy, stopping your opponent from scoring points. I'm surprised more of our national teams haven't picked up on this impressive strategy and applied it to their own tactics.Then again, some of our teams don't really look like they have the capacity or even the ability to stop our opponents from scoring goals or points or whatever, so as an Abanhfleft fan I guess I'm just going to have to grin and bear it.

Anyway, this match proved that we really are the best team out of Pool B. But are we going to be the best team of the Rugby Sevens World Cup and lift that coveted Cup? It's hard to say at the moment. Our final opponent is Elejamie, who dismissed the Kriegiersien side and denied those weirdos a chance at potentially defeating us in another sporting final. But all that's done is give Elejamie an opportunity to defeat us at a rugby final. We've already done it to them at the 18th Rugby League World Cup, and then they repaid the favour by beating us in the semifinal of the 19th RLWC. Now it's time for the grudge rematch, this time in another code of rugby, and in an actual final to boot. Abanhfleft versus Elejamie. Revolutionaries versus Elephants. Who will triumph and lift the Cup over their heads? I for one am both excited and afraid to bear witness to the result later. XOXO from Graham....

Abanhfleft (24)
Try: Iordanou 3' c
Greathouse 6' c
Van Alphen 9' m
Pamintuan 10' m
Con: Mahout (2/4)
Nova Anglicana (12)
Try: Foster 2' m
Tremblay 5' c
Con: Bolden (1/2)

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Copper Cuprum
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Copper Cuprum » Sun May 09, 2021 11:12 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Graham O'Doherty

6TH RUGBY SEVENS WORLD CUP: COPPER CUPRUM PLATE SEMIFINALS

Hello guys, and welcome back to another edition of The Rugby Rundown Sevens Edition with me, your gay Irishman Graham O'Doherty. Yes, that's right. My coverage of Copper Cuprum's journey through the Rugby Sevens World Cup continues, and right now the chicken killers of the APOC Coalition are through to the semifinals of the Plate. Here they're up against new boys Bollonich, but despite them being new around these parts, there's no room for error with these guys. The mere fact that they're new means that they're very much determined to prove that they belong in the sporting scene, and so far the evidence has been stacked in their favour. Cousin Aisling's tales of the boys from Bollonich making a name in lacrosse can be found in her segment of Gaelic Gamers called The Lacrosse Lamentations, and if you want to take a break from watching muscle-bound beefcakes crashing into each other and see women with sticks shoving aside other men and women with sticks then The Lacrosse Lamentations is perfect for you. But if you want to continue reading about rugby, feel free to proceed to the next paragraph.

Let me just begin this Plate semifinals recap by stating an obvious fact. Copper Cuprum is known throughout the multiverse for its mad love and even near-religious devotion to the sport of rugby football, and especially the code of rugby league. But Copper Cuprum is also known for being the land of the chicken killers, the nation that sacrifices chickens to a goddess in exchange for sporting victory. This ritual is an important part of Copperite culture and dates back to the very first days of rugby in the Chiefdom when an old war dance was adapted for use in the pre-game ritual. Naturally, once Copper Cuprum joined the multiversal sporting scene, this ritual drew the ire of almost every nation that bore witness to it. The Copperites, afraid of being kicked out just as soon as they had joined, agreed to make a compromise wherein the live chickens in their pre-game ritual were replaced with rubber ones in order to spare the audiences of other nations the gore and animal abuse. But this of course didn't sit well with the Copperite people since it was a part of their culture, and yet another compromise had to be reached. This time the compromise was that the Copperites would be able to perform their ritual, chicken blood sacrifice and all, on home soil, but once their teams went abroad they can only use the rubber chickens. Having said that, a lot of animal rights people still have issues with the fact that the Copperites are still able to sacrifice live chickens, even if it has been restricted to just their own country. One activist already got his head smashed in by the Copperite shaman's stick, and Chief Deg (back when he was still Prince Deg and in charge of the country's sports ministry or whatever it's called) made it clear that anyone who does the same will receive a similar fate. It may seem like a laughable threat, but the fact remains that nobody else has tried to do it again.

Bollonich are the latest in a long line of nations to make their displeasure about the Copperite pre-game ritual known. Nothing official from their government has been made yet, but I've already seen some opinion pieces from their news outlets decrying the ritual. And while I am of course in complete agreement with them about the Copperites' treatment of their chickens, I have to say that I don't see anything changing in the near future. Copperites are a very traditional people, and while the younger generations are beginning to voice out their opinions and concerns about their country's pre-game ritual (among other things), the man who wields the true power in that country, Chief Deg, won't be keen to make any changes anytime soon. He may be only forty or so years old but he's as traditional as they come. And since he's a sports nut and grew up around both rugby and soccer, he's really acquainted with the pre-game ritual. He loves the bloody thing. And as long as Chief Deg lives, he is not going to let this ritual fall by the wayside.

But enough about rituals and chickens. We're here to talk about rugby sevens, and that's what we are going to do now. It's Bollonich versus Copper Cuprum, with the winner booking that ticket to the Plate final. New blood versus old hands. Bollonich had the determination to give the Copperites a good fight, even after being witness to a rubber chicken's head being torn off, but sadly for them Copper Cuprum had the experience to keep them at bay. Copper Cuprum were in control from the start, and barring some missed conversions they played a complete game to secure their place in the Plate final. There they will be up against San Ortelio, another big hitter who's determined to make their mark in the sport. Just by looking at the two contenders in this match, I can already tell that fireworks will be had once these two sides meet. And given how the Bowl, Plate, and Cup finals are scheduled, I can already feel myself defending into a deep pit of sadness, disappointment, and quite possibly even depression. XOXO from Graham....

Bollonich (7)
Try: Fox 6' c
Con: Osborne (1/1)
Copper Cuprum (31)
Try: Isoka 1' m, 5' c
Polema 2' m
Omega 4' c
Hizekte 7' c
Con: Honele (3/5)

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 am

Kevin Gabriel was feeling a bit anxious. Why wouldn't he be? It was the Cup final of the Rugby Sevens World Cup. It was quite possibly one of the biggest games in all of sevens. And it came right at the tail end of the tournament, after the other two finals to see who'd be winning the Plate and the Bowl, which probably didn't help make things any better. At least the weather would be nice instead of a hard-fought battle in the rain like the quarter-finals were, with a bit of mud still being left over for the semi-final bashes.

It had been a long and arduous journey to make it there, especially with a tumultuous group stage such as theirs. The opening win against Darmen was a real high point for them, given how much of a solid rugby side they are especially when it comes to union and its subcodes. The following loss against newcomers Bollonich? Probably one of the biggest low points of their entire sevens history, although given that Coach Kevin was a bit overconfident and decided to tell his players to rest a bit at least there was an actual reason for it. After an afternoon off, they put together a decent string of wins: 34-7 against the United States of Devonta, 31-7 against the Licentian Isles and 34-7 again, this time against the hapless Suimede. After a 28-10 win over San Ortelio, they finished top of their group with five wins and a loss, 166 points for, 64 against, a point differential of +102 and a 16 group points. Other than the loss it was pretty much what was expected from them.

Then came the quarter-finals. First up was Barunia, a team that had kind of underachieved at the tournament but were still kind of a strong side. After all, they had Lisander and Hannasea to compete with so it could've gone either way and they just got completely lucky. Unfortunately, that luck was about to run out in the match against Elejamie. It took a while for it to happen but it eventually did. They scored first and converted it, then sometime after that Paul Koppel scored a try and Gary Toda converted it. Then Toda scored a try of his own near the end of the half but, due to where he was positioned, he was unable to net the extras. A minute into the second half they scored a penalty to bring it down to two but Elejamie extended the gap once again with a try and a much more successful conversion, both from Toda. And then, with 12 minutes left in the half, David Kramer scored the fourth and final try, Toda converted it and they all just concentrated on defending to eventually come away with a 26-10 win.

And then it was Kriegiersien. Elejamie were out looking for revenge for the loss in Coffs Harbour, whereas Kriegiersien were actively looking to stop them from winning the World Cup in all three codes. They did knock out the current world #1s Lisander, after all, so that gave them plenty of momentum. Not to mention that they finished second in Pool D, just behind TJUN-ia with a 4-0-2 record with their only losses being a 31-19 defeat to the pool winners and a 33-19 loss to Baker Park, who made it all the way to the Plate semi-finals before they were bested by San Ortelio. On the upside, Riley Kroger returned from his self-induced sabbatical after accidentally breaking Simone Di Basco's toe in the match against a returning and rejuvenated San Ortelio. Not to mention that Elejamie had left their opposition tryless for the first time in the entire tournament. Who knows if it'll be the only time.

The first half saw Elejamie get off to an early lead when Adam McCracken scored only 79 seconds after kick-off. It wasn’t as easy as it looked however because, while Elejamie were quick with the ball and saw plenty of speed from McCracken, Toda and Koppel, each and every time they got the ball inside the Kriegiersien 22 they were pushed back or brought down by the opposing forwards Theodore Hernandez, Saoul Bastian and/or Phelix Yuda. A couple of times the aforementioned players got it out only for the ball to make it all the way back in. Eventually McCracken took advantage of a small gap, pushed his way through and just managed to ground the ball for a try. Toda managed to get the conversion but only just, as a sudden gust of wind looked poised to make him miss only for him to just get it in. This was then followed by a brace of penalties from Kriegiersien fly-half Damian Druid; first in the 4th minute from 30m out and then in the 5th minute from 33m out. Near the end of the half, Elejamie thought they had gotten a second try but, upon closer inspection, it turned out that the ball was knocked-on earlier and was disallowed. Either way, a 7-6 lead going into the break may have been nerve-wracking but at least it meant they could have a think of what they could improve on or how to get things done.

The second half was a bit more action packed but still just as tense. Kriegiersien gained the lead with another penalty, courtesy of Druid from 32m out before Elejamie regained it with a penalty of their own, with Toda curling it in from 35m out. Kramer would score the second try of the match with a quick dive under the posts (again in a crowded 22) and Toda would nail an easy conversion to bring the score up to 17-9. Druid would get his fourth and final penalty from 29m out in the 11th minute to bring it back down to 5, with a try and even a conversion needed to give his side some pride. Unfortunately, with less than a minute left before time, Toda would go on to score the final try of the match even if he had to push his way past a strong Kriegiersien pack. He’d get the two-pointer, both sides played a defensive game and, eventually Elejamie walked away the finalists with a 24-12 victory.

So who was left? Abanhfleft. They were a very formidable side. They won all of their pool stage games, taking the morning off on the opening day before kicking things off with a 29-7 win over Sannyamathland. This was then followed by a 29-17 win over Alice Bay, a 31-7 win over Pratapgadh, a 52-0 demolition of the hapless Udmar and a 31-7 win over Darkmania before everything was neatly rounded off with a 29-7 over their closest rivals Nova Anglicana. Six wins out of six, 201 points scored, 45 points allowed, a point differential of +156 and a total of 18 points in their group. They had the best defensive record of the group stage, the second best offensive record of the group stage, the highest point differential and were overall quite unstoppable.

As a result, Coach Kevin had to resort to the cliche motivational speech. He was never good at them and he never really liked giving them. Inside the Elejamian changing room, everyone was already kitted and laced up. A couple, namely captain Diego Molina and fly-half Gary Toda, were doing some stretches to get themselves all warmed up. Kevin cleared his throat and began. “I’m not good at making speeches. In fact, at my wedding I kept slipping up because I kept reading ahead in the script my best man wrote for me. But I’m going to try anyway because it might work.”

Nearly everyone was paying attention. Molina kept doing his stretches but it was somewhat obvious that he was still going to listen. That was acceptable enough for Kevin to carry on his speech. “Anyways, this is probably the biggest moment of our lives. Except maybe yours, Riley, you’ve been at the 15-a-side finals a few times.” Riley Kroger nodded in acknowledgement. “But this is bigger than Alpen View, bigger than the Lisander Rugby Festival, bigger than the ERC 7s. This is the Rugby Sevens World Cup final. THE Cup final. I know how much Coffs Harbour was a disappointment. But we’ve bounced back so well from that. And we might be able to make it back to back silverware. We’ve already achieved better than we did in Northwest Kalactin. But I’m hoping that we can defy the odds. And maybe, just maybe, bring the Cup home. And if we do, then I’m taking you all out for pizza.”

Despite the words being something that was clearly rehearsed, as Koppel heard their coach mutter something during some alone time in training, it was still enough to get them going. Everyone got some early stretches going, except for Molina and Toda as they had already finished theirs. Eventually, it was go time. They were pumped up. They were hoping to bring glory to Elejamie. And, most importantly, get some free pizza out of the whole ordeal. They decided not to concentrate on the fact that they were up against the vastly superior opposition (by this tournament’s standards, as Elejamie were ranked #2 compared to their opponent’s ‘#3) but instead just treat it like it was a job to do. They lined up, took some deep breaths and then made their way onto the pitch, which had been cleared up following the Bowl final between Sevendia and the hosts in the Grearish Union. 15-20 more minutes. Will they be able to keep their bottle? Or will they just choke on a massive stage? Only time will tell...

The Grearish Union
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Grearish Union » Sun May 09, 2021 12:16 pm

Matchday 10

ImageFinals, Sunday
Clear, 15°C at Seagull Cavern, Forsho
Sunday's Finals
Plate Final
19:30 GF-P San Ortelio 19–17 Copper Cuprum
Bowl Final
19:52 GF-B Sevendia 14–26 Grearish Union
Cup Final
20:14 GF-C Elejamie 17–19 Abanhfleft

Abanhfleft are Rugby Sevens World Cup 6 champions!
Last edited by The Grearish Union on Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports