NATION

PASSWORD

XV Olympic Winter Games - RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:27 am

Posted on the In Brief section of the GTV Sports website.

It was a disappointing first day for Lenny Leonsson and Liv Robinsdóttir in the mixed doubles curling. They were thoroughly outclassed by the Liventian team of James Barrett and Abigail Weekes. Leading 5 – 2 into the sixth, a good takeout by Weekes meant that Græntfjall could only score 2; taking over the hammer, the Liventian team then scored 3. Græntfjall initially kept things closer against Valanora, but the handshake once again came after 7 ends. Græntfjall had jumped out to a 3 – 0 lead, with Leonsson nabbing a steal in the second end, but Clausen’s final shot of the third ensured a massive 4 stones for the Vanors, who did not look back, with further 2 stones in the 6th and a force in the 7th after a powerful takeout that settled the match.

But the ski jumping went better, with Maximilian Joelsson soaring into third place in the qualifying round of the men’s individual normal hill, joint with Seattle-Seven Qwven and Solas Wolf, on 135.0. Srednjaci’s Darinko Bujic and Fortunato Montagne of the Unified Panjuven Team lead the field on 138.5. Joelsson, after a quiet domestic season, recorded his first jump of over 100 meters for the year (102.5). Domestic champion Ernst Klængursson also qualified, but down in joint 49th place, also clearing 100 meters (102.0) but recording a sub-50s judging score as he missed his Árberg* landing.
* The “Norwegian” county of “Telemark” being unknown in Græntfjall, the technique for ski jump landing is instead known as an Árberg, after the Græntfjaller municipality of Árberg.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:05 am

Skating Liventia expresses "extreme disappointment" at Team Trophy format
Clayquot, KELSSEK— Drama has broken out at the XV Winter Olympics even before the Opening Ceremony after Skating Liventia issued a strongly-worded statement criticising the format being used for the figure skating team event at the Games in Clayquot.

Liventia sit 11th after the men's and pairs short programs, under the points system being used by the Kelssekian organisers, after Dennis Clayton and Jocelyn du Toit suffered two surprise errors during their program.

First, Clayton popped a side-by-side triple flip down to a double flip, before du Toit fell on her landing from a throw triple twist. That resulted in a score of just 62.59, more than 21 points behind the Taeshani pair and good for just 21st of 26 teams.

That undid the good work from Chris Coombes earlier in the day, as he cleanly landed a triple Axel and quadruple toe-loop, double toe-loop combination in addition to a quadruple Salchow. Coombes' score, just shy of three digits, topped the field of 26 men.

Under the system used last time out in Yeaddin, Liventia would have scored 10 points for winning the men's short and no points for finishing outside the top 10 in the pairs short. However, organisers this time have decided to award points for every finishing position in the competition.

If the Yeaddin system were in use here, Liventia would sit joint-third with Taeshan on 10 points after the first two rounds, behind New Waldensia (17) and Mapletish (15). However, the team – also formed of ladies' singles skater Sydney Austin and ice dancers Austin Richmond and Olivia Spencer – find themselves a cool 17 points behind leaders New Waldensia.

"We are extremely disappointed that Clayquot organisers have opted to penalise weak segment performances," the Skating Liventia statement read.

"We know we have one of the most talented teams here, and this system works heavily against teams if there are small mistakes on one segment as we have seen. While we are strong in our belief that our team will rebound strongly, we cannot stand by and stay quiet about something we feel is unfair on the teams here.

"As we know, if the format used at the XIV OWG had been used here, the same two teams – New Waldensia and Mapletish – would be leading after the first two segments. This proves to us that that format would equally reward consistent teams, as well as teams which put in strong segments while making errors in others."

Elsewhere on the first day of competition, curling mixed doubles pair James Barrett and Abigail Weekes, the defending champions, began their round-robin stage with two wins against Græntfjall and Saint-Domingues.

There was also activity on the Entauren ski jumping slope, with two Liventian athletes qualifying for the final round of the normal hill competition.
Last edited by Liventia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!

Hannasea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 am

Article posted on the SuperSport Olympic page.
    Bland Athlete Interview Format Recycler: Luke Davis, Ski Jumping

We’re here with Luke Davis.

Actually, it’s Luke Davies.

Luke, it’s your first day of competition today: how are you feeling?

Confused? Look, I’m not sure what competition you’re talking about, but I’m just here in Clayquot on a skiing holiday with my family.

Competing in ski jumping at the Olympics must be the culmination of a four year dream for you. Looking back on all the training, exercise, diet, all the sacrifices, do you think it’s all worth it to be here competing?

We only booked this holiday a few weeks ago. There was a special offer on one of the price comparison websites. We’re really just – wait, did you say ski jumping?

What would be a good result for you? Obviously everyone dreams of Olympic gold, but would you satisfied with qualifying for the second round?

Ski jumping, like the moguls? Or ski jumping like jumping off the … oh g-d … oh no … oh fuck …

Do you have any special rituals or superstitions you go through on competition days?

No, no, no! You can’t make me do this! I have a wife and children – no! Let go of me! Where are you taking me!? No!

What was it like marching under the Federation flag at the Opening Ceremony in front of that huge audience?

I won’t do it! You can’t make me! Please! Someone! Anyone! Help!

Haha, and what about the fun side? We always hear rumours that the Olympic Village can get a little wild. Have there been any crazy parties yet, or is everyone still in serious competition mode?

There’s been a terrible mistake! I’m Luke Davies with an e, I’m an orthodontist, I’m not meant to be here! Please, tell my wife I love her!

Well Luke, it looks like they’re calling your number, so there’s nothing left for us to say but – good luck!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:37 am

SKI JUMPING: Keith Wright, fifty-one of fifty

Throwing yourself off a snowy ramp is not a thing that Krytenians normally excel at. Nevertheless, the nation will be represented in the men's normal hill final as not one, but two of our jumpers made it through the qualifying.

Fifty jumpers were originally slated to compete in the final, however a three way tie for 49th place means there will be an extra competitor. That man is Reacher Bay's own Keith Wright, who joins Adam Kightley in reaching the medal round. Neither man is expected to seriously trouble the medals, but we're sure that both will enjoy their day in the sun...for a given value of sun, anyway.

CURLING: Krytenian pair rocked, but on a roll

There were mixed fortunes for the pair of Andy Safinovic and Maria Redmayne as the action got underway earlier today in the mixed pair curling event. The Krytenians lost their opening match against Norbert Henderson and Corine Flynn, mainly due to a massive error from Safinovic that gave the Darmenis a three-point end.

Not to be disheartened, the Krytenians came back in their second match, against the duo from Cassadaigua, with a positive display. The game bounced back and forth, and going into the final end were tied at seven-all. Redmayne took the hammer, nudging Stephanie Clancy's red stone out of the way and leaving Krytenia lying two to take the match. Safinovic and Redmayne currently lie mid-table, but with five matches still to play everything is still up for grabs.

Want to try curling? Find local clubs for this and other Winter Olympic sports and get active at www.kbs.kt/sportforall

Watch all the action from Clayquot at www.kbs.kt/smartview
Last edited by Krytenia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Saint-Domingues
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Domingues » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:35 am

"There are a lot of expectations on me, you can't blame me for sometimes feeling the pressure" - In-depth with Saint-Dominguan figure skater Lucille Berger

The Winter Olympics are here! It's a time of sport and snow, and Saint-Domingue have sent 70 competitors (in addition to both a men's and women's hockey team) competing in 12 sports and plenty of disciplines for their maiden appearance at the ultimate festival of winter activities. Will the Dominguans come away with any medals in Kelssek? We are certainly hoping so, and today we are interviewing one of the country's brightest hopes for a medal - the figure skater Lucille Berger, who has also been selected as Saint-Domingue's flag bearer for the opening ceremony. "It's such a honour to do that," she enthuses. "I'm so happy to do it, and all of my family are so proud."

Berger is a notoriously difficult interviewee, who regularly eschews post-skate media duties and there is a compilation of videos of her storming out after questions that do not suit her liking. What does she say about this reputation? "I don't like doing it most of the time, it feels like a waste talking to the media." She states nonchalantly. "I don't think anyone wants to hear me talk about the technical details, most of all me." Berger affirms. "I have to go over them all day, and then people expect me to restate this to a journalist who doesn't understand it, for the convenience of an audience who isn't interesting? Pass," she states with a wave of her hand.

"I'm a passionate person, and the only time I want to talk to them - and get my point of view across - is if I'm F***** over by a judge or some outside factor, or when I win. Nobody needs to know what I think of finishing fourth or fifth, because they already know - it feels like s***!" Berger laughs, shaking her head. "In those moments my emotions might blow over, but there are a lot of expectations on me, you can't blame me for feeling the pressure sometimes. You guys in the media have been hyping me up since forever."

Indeed, Berger has been portrayed as something of a golden girl. Despite being just twenty years-old, she has been in the public eye for a long time. Her first appearance at the Saint-Domingue National Skating Championships was at age 15, the youngest ever skater. This was followed up with a win the following year, at age 16. She has since won the Championships on two other occasions, and she has won the Junior Championships every year from age 15 to 19, a dominant streak only recently broken when she became ineligible due to her age.

Considering the lengthy history of success from such a young age, it is unsurprising to see that the SDOC hope Berger can translate her national success to the Olympic stage. However, tensions in the camp are well-reported, with plenty of stories circulating that she does not enjoy the presence of her fellow skaters. Most of all her partner for two events, Jonathan Beaufils.

"It's not that I dislike Jon personally, but professionally... we do not work together well. There are differences in attitude, he does not like to practice at the same intensity as I do. He is more laid back, and that does not suit me. I like things fast, high-stakes, trying to replicate the difficult circumstances of a skate in front of judges and an audience as much as possible. He does not. And the truth is I don't think we will win anything together, he brings me down. I prefer to work alone."

That does beg the question of why she partnered with Beaufils for two different events, in pairs and ice skating. Not to mention, she will form part of the four to compete in the team event. "Let's just say that was not entirely my decision. SDOC wanted people who were willing to compete in multiple events. They would not accept me only going in the individual." There are also rumours that she was offered the position of flag bearer in order to accept this arrangement, but she refuses to comment on this.

Such revelations may seem damaging to the morale of her fellow skaters, but Berger is unconcerned. "I'm not confident about our chances anyway," she brushes off. "I'm a different kind of skater to everyone else. I'm a winner, and don't like to rely on other people. If I don't win, I'm not happy. And I don't like to have winning out of my own hands by relying on other people to do the right thing."

Does she therefore have a lower focus when it comes to team events? "No. I am as focused as ever and always trying. It's the others you want to ask about that. My main aim is the individual, but I am going to fight like hell to drag us towards medals, you can be sure of that."

@LaRadio2000 - Do you have any relation to Olive Berger (doing the skeleton for West Florida) or Thomas Berger, who is participating in the luge for Siovanija & Teusland?
What? No, I've never heard of either of those people. They're not part of my family.

@GentilleGermaine - What's your favourite movie?
Easy. I, Tonya. Laughs.

@Frondian - What's your best advice to young girls wanting to become a skater?
Skate early and skate hard.

@Blasagablarga - Who do you think would win in a fight between a tiger and a gorilla?
Lucille left upon reading this.

See the full interview with Lucille Berger here.

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aboveland » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:53 am

Vankkavalta, capital of the Abovian Union

"Join us in righting our wrongs, in healing our wounds, and in building our Abovian Union."

Kaj pulls the politician smile, his hands resting on his desk, his fingers intertwined and their tips resting on the webbed bases of the joints between those on the opposite hand, his eyes betraying his attempt at a sincere smile turning it wry and tinting it with worry. The red light atop the broadcast camera stood before his face fades away, the studio lights illuminating his workspace start to dim, and a voice mutters "and we're off!" from behind the loveseats to one side of the Presidential Office. As the tension in the room dissipates, the stiff backstage staff beginning to breathe again without regarding their volume, a flash of light illuminates the now dark room and, an instant later, the ceiling height windows rattle in their frames, the curtains trembling with a shockwave. The lights in the office flicker for a moment; the building sets off a bout of popping sounds, rising through the pillars of the walls towards the ceiling, where flakes of plaster crumble away from the structure and flutter towards the ground. Kaj ducks, as do the rest of the broadcast crew, but dodges the refuge of the underside of his desk. The expletives and shrieks ring out for just a few seconds, and once the building has settled and the curtains sway back into their usual positions, there's a quiet. The president briefly scans the room, aided by the return of stable electrical power, and ignores a droning call for his name asking if he's okay. Of course he's okay, like you, like everyone else. Just a little shake-up, that's all. Might as well have been a tremor; nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about, he tells himself, inching closer to the back window and pulling back the tulle-like curtain to reveal the boulevard behind the Presidential Palace.

In the deep navy blue of the September evening, he spots a row of inoperational streetlights on the sidewalk next to the lane to the right of his office, perhaps damaged. The cloud of dust hanging in the air, maybe mixed with the chilly haze of the afternoon dew on the fringe of the Arctic circle, hides only the most important corner of the disaster scene. There doesn't seem to be fire, or the tremor of an aftershock, or residual bursts of energy. Slips of paper--the kind you see in movies after explosions, as if every pipe bomb were hidden in a mailbox--drift down towards the asphalt, occasionally rolling into themselves with a gust of wind from the Underground vents or deflected by the buildings surrounding Freedom Square. In the distance, a firefighter siren wails halfway into its full sound loop, halts, then rings stronger, evidently no longer a single unit, before the more imperative whoop of police alarms and the ominous, drawn-out howl of the ambulance--ambulances--join in the cacophony.

"What was it?" asks a voice from behind, growing in volume as the accompanying, frantic footsteps rumble the carpet below Kaj's feet.

"Gas--a gas explosion, probably," he replies, his eyes never deviating from the mound of rubber splattered against the curb in front of the affected building. "Nothing to worry about."

He sniffles, and brings his left index finger, then his entire hand, up to his left nostril. The warm glob turned trickle, and its metallic taste, are unmistakable.

Excitement stirred in Emi's stomach, manifesting itself as an uneasy series of kicks to her gut. She shivered as a light, frigid breeze sliced bitterly across the formation, each of the Abovian Union's 83 athletes lined up in four columns and twenty rows, with Sami Katjamäki--who she found cute, though slightly envied for his "young star" media buff despite her being the youngest athlete on the team--the only athlete out of line, alone up front between rows two and three; and who, as Emi could see all the way from the last row, held the flag of Aboveland by the top, his shoulders relaxed, his weight on his right leg and his torso rotated to the left, surely doing some small talk with the far older, far too old for him, if she said so herself, figure skating Noora. Which one of the two, Emi didn't know, her ignorance a thorn in her head that really quite bothered her.

The thunderous bellow of the narrator reverberated against the walls of the venue; though the sound was slightly muffled to the lined-up athletes, the story was simple to keep track of--that is, for an English speaker. There were a few words Emi could grasp--some of which she'd heard in her listening drills, albeit spoken in perfect Liventian English--but it mostly sounded to her what Nykipish sounds to Abovians: a garbled mess of foreign sounds impossible to mesh together. And yet, despite the gratiness of the sound of it, she was thrilled out of her fucking mind. If she were a crappy, yappy, little accessory-for-the-rich-suburban-mom doggie, she'd have peed all over the floor, her legs and feet included.

Quickly though, she was pulled out of her trance by an almost vampirically cold touch searing at her shoulder.

"Agh!" she hissed, her face more yielding than her exclamation. It'd been Kuldar.

"Here," he said, holding up a finger with a shiny rectangle resting on its tip. "Put this on."

Emi frowned, inching closer to the thingy before a ray of light from the stage whipped towards the standing line and lit the hall in a sweeping motion. The white beam had revealed the colors of the pin: navy blue and bright red, fimbriated in gold. "No!" she whisper-yelled, shaking her head, trying not to attract the eyes of her teammates who focused on the imminent swell of the music, and the start of the opening parade.

"Yes," he insisted. Emi stammered, confused at her older brother's insistence. "No," she reiterated, firmer than before. "Why?"

"We're all doing it," Kuldar insisted, his icy blue eyes glistening with the bleeding shimmer of the stage lights, as they grow brighter and begin to swivel chaotically. "Come on!"

Emi grimaced, still resisting, when Kuldar lunged his finger closer to her face, the pin trembling on his fingertip. The curtains which hid the lined-up delegations from the crowd began to part, and the spectrum of gleeful colors showering the venue lit up both of their faces. They were frustrated, in equal amounts but in different flavors; she swatted her hand at Kuldar's finger, attempting to clench her fist around it and yank the pin towards her with two moves--one move to grab the finger, a pause, then another one to pull her fist in towards her heart--in dramatic-yet-theatrical fashion, but she could only manage half of the first.

"Ugh, you fucking dipshit!" yelled Kuldar at her, met with a hand gesture just as obscene from her younger sibling, as the lines before them began to move forwards into the colored floodlights, and the parade of the 51 participating delegations officially began. Emi pushed her built-up frustration down, grunting, refusing to let the strange, stupid argument ruin her moment.

It worked, at least for the first handful of seconds, as the light draped her face in various configurations, and the crowd, anonymous and dotted with white and yellowish lights, cheered emphatically for Team Abovian Union. She was once again, much to her pleasure, in itsy-bitsy-doggy-that-pisses-itself excitement mode, the grand ceremony almost too much to take in for the small, pale, shy, introverted girl from Tugyykisaarto. As her colleagues in front of her began to turn, however, walking forwards but rotating to take in the sights around them, she spotted the damn pin: the new flag of Nykipiflugpuu, not to the side of the shield logo of the Abovian Olympic Committee, but over the star meant to represent her homeland itself.

She resolved to let herself roll her eyes at the pointless nationalism only once the parade was finished and the foreign language show she couldn't really follow along with resumed.

The curtains pull back to the momentous call of the voice-over, announcing the arrival of the Abovian Union! to the stadium floor. Sami is nudged on the shoulder, from behind with a stiff, cold finger and a husky, emphatic "go!" He doesn't look over his shoulder, curls his fingers over the edges of the Abovian flag, and thrusts it up and forwards over his head. He doesn't need a self-pep-talk, a crack of his knuckles, a roll of his neck, or a sigh as a 'here we go'. His first step, wobbly but assured. His second, confident, and his third, the start of the pride stride. It's almost too much to take in: flag bearer at the olympics at the ripe age of nineteen, something unimaginable just mere months ago. He can hardly contain his gleaming grin, Noora behind him whooping in his direction, to which he answers with a more deliberate smile. As he holds the flag up high, the chilly Kelssek breeze tickles his underarm hairs and caresses his shoulders. Exactly the right amount of windchill.

He gazes out into the crowd, lurking in the shadows of the tall stadium sides against the comically bright, garish spotlights showing the athletes their way down the corridor. Good Lord, we're here, we're actually here, in the spotlight, in the parade, in the national team, on the roster, on the list, in Kelssek, in Clayquot, in the Olympic Village, in bed, my face buried in my pillow because I can't possibly stay asleep tonight!

He awakes, damp, flustered, and breathing heavily. It's 3:07 AM, according to his bedside clock. Phew. Damn, he whispers, wiping his forehead. He reaches out for his phone, also on the nightstand. No new messages. He nods, tucking his lips inward in disappointment, turns the screen off, and burrows himself deeper into the thick sheets, pulling the plush duvet up to his chin. The new bedframe creaks, but it's a reassuring sound. He's got a few more hours of sleep before his competition debut.

Ugh, no, not yet. Now he has to pee.
Last edited by Aboveland on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Waisnor
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Waisnor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 am

There is some comments from First National translation of opening ceremony:

"Welcome to everybody watching us live! We're broadcasting opening ceremony of the 15th Winter Olympic Games in Clayquot, Kelssek! We hope that this will be a beautiful ceremony and wait for something special here)"

(When this thing with kids starts)
"...... Well, that's a really original way to start the artistic section. Six children walking in some wasteland, searching for food... Doesn't fit too well with Winter Olympics, isn't it? But OK, we'll go through this)"

(When the dragon appears)
"So I suppose that this is a dragon who, according to the legends, lives under the Parracuttis volcano and he is responsible for the smoke and fire that comes out from it... Wow, last remnants of life?! This is getting weirder and weirder as it goes!"

(After talk of dragons and children)
"So I kinda think that this children are now some kind of chosen ones who need to battle the forces of evil and save the world...Wow, I didn't expect this to come out here, but it's still interesting, what's going to be next... And now we start parade of nations!"

(When Waisnorian team comes in parade of nations)
"And here they, our athletes for this Olympics! 109 athletes in 45 medal disciplines and we have big hopes for such athletes as Yakov Ignatov in shorttrack and Polina Kosmina in skateboarding. Talking about Ignatov, he is the flag-bearer!"

(Returning to the artistic part)
"You know, so far I think that the opening ceremonies for this Olympics bear some kind of resemblance to our Olympics ceremonies. Like in last Summer Olympics opening ceremony in Banija lighting the Olympic flame was like 1992 thing, only flaming arrow was replaced by flaming spear. And now this invokes memories of Pyeongchang 2018 opening ceremonies, there also was kids hanging out with each other... Well, they weren't saving the world, they still were in this ceremony"

(The final battle)
'Ok, so this evil spirit seems to corrupt every person based on their ambitions. Now how this kids are going to deal with this?
And they resist it. I was kinda expecting this, like in many movies children are basically incorruptible and you can can't abything about this, be you even Satan himself)
And when this shards combine, they form Olympic Estoile... Yeah, it's pretty unexpected, I agree"

(End of artistic part and lighting the Olympic cauldron)
"And this is the end for this. I honestly didn't anything like this in any other Olympic ceremony, this was really original of you, organizators. And now we came to the lighting the Olympic cauldron...
And there we are, the person who will lit the cauldron is Briana Meekinson, two-times gold medalist as a captain of Kelssek women's hockey team... And the Games are open!"

WAISNORIAN RESULTS
First Waisnorian to start participating is ski jumper Grigory Fadeev. Unfortunately, he placed only 82nd in men's individual normal hill qualification stage and thus couldn't make it past this stage.
81 = 18th/34
82 = 22nd/31
83 = 27th/41
84 = 15th/27
85 = 20th/28
86 = 14th/32
87 = 14th/36
88 = 24th/32
89 = 16th/37
90 = 8th/35
91 = 9th/30
92 = 8th/29
93 = 4th/25
94 = 14th/28
95 = 15th/27
96 = 8th/34
97 = 6th/25
98 = 23rd/31
99 = 6th/38
100 = 12th/51
101 = 24th/32
102 = 10th/30
103 = 2nd/26
104 = 11th/26
105 = 6th/31
106 = 5th/25
107 = 21st/37
108 = 9th/32
109 = 11th/21
110 = 14th/27
111 = 5th/29
112 = 7th/25

51 = 10th/20
52 = 19th/24
53 = 11th in the semifinal/33

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016

Postby Juvencus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 am

VILAN HERALD

Anti-Juven riots burn all over Oscioru

"We are not Juven, nor Panjuven" say a large percentage of Osci citizens, image of above from the protests in Aguaju/Bresca

Anti-Juven riots caused by the decision of the Osci Olympic Commitee to join the Panjuven delegation are raging all over Oscioru and several major south Juvencus cities close to the border. What started initially as a peaceful demonstration against the decision of the OOC quickly turned into violence which has caused wide damage. In a summary, this is the damage reported from city to city.

POMA: The capital of Oscioru managed to maintain the most peaceful of the demonstrations out of all major cities. The riots only lasted for a couple hours and the only reported damages are in the different nearby stores. 4 rioters and a policeman were injured, luckily there were no deaths and everyone is in a stable condition.

VORONA: Vorona's police forces on the other could not manage the protestors, the city has historically been multiple times under Juven occupation and the feeling of Osci patriotism is extremely strong in the city. There were attacks reported in the Juven consulate of the city as well as the Osci Olympic Commitee office in Giancarlo Laporta Square. With lots of tear gas and other chemicals, the injured number around 43 so far in total with both protestors and policemen in the mix and as the riots rage on, this number could be much higher. There is also 1 reported death due to inhaling too much gasses and with no solution at hand this number may get even higher as well.

AGUAJU-BRESCA: The split open border city of Aguaju/Bresca has turned into a massive battlefield with Panjuvenist Osci & Juven against Osci-identifying rioters, the police has no control over the issue and in a lot of cases even got trampled over by the rioters. Reports say that people from all 3 sides have opened fire on each other and are engaging in some sort of urban warfare, however with no declaration of war from each government this issue might need to be resolved soon before anymore victims get reported. Over 100 people are injured and there are 5 people dead and as soon as there are shootings there could be more injuries and deaths in the horizon.

The Osci Olympic Commitee has released an unofficial statement saying: "We do not condone any attacks against our Juven counterparts and we advise everyone who is part of the the demonstrations to go back home now, as these riots are dangerous for peace and stability in our general area. The Osci Olympic Commitee's decision was approved by the government before going ahead on joining the Panjuven Olympic Team on the basis of common history, heritage, languages and religion. This by no means does mean that Oscioru is no longer an independent nation and by extend the Osci Olympic Commitee an independent association of its own. The Olympics should be celebrated as a time to enjoy sports, unity and prosperity not just between our people as Juven and Osci but with the rest of the world."

A similar statement by the Juven and Nuovojuven Olympic Commitees was issued condemning the actions of the protestors and applauding the hasty, yet good-willed unofficial statement and stance of the Osci Olympic Commitee.

A poll was issued in several major cities in Oscioru and Juvencus with the question of "Are Juven and Osci people part of the same or similar population?" with the answers being yes, no, possibly/I don't know/no answer and the results were a 52% answering with no, a 46% answering with yes while the rest chose the remainder of the answers in Oscioru, indicating a split in public opinion and identification, while it was a whopping 93% yes, while only 5% voted for no and even less chose the remainder of the answers. With no official government announcements and actions on the way, this would be messy while the athletes over in Kelssek will be performing under even more anxiety than their more united counterparts.

OTHER HEADLINES

FORTUNATO MONTAGNE: A favorite for an Olympic Gold Medal?
JUVENCUS NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Currently sitting in 3rd, can they qualify for the World Cup?
CURLING TEAM SLACKING: What should they do to improve their slumber?
TORNADO RAVAGES THROUGH SOUTHEASTERN OSCIORU: 10 reported dead, while 30 are injured and an extra 15 are reported missing
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

Mytanija
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mytanija » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:34 am

KUZMANOVIC AND KOMNENCIC INTO FINAL
GAVRIL SEVOSTYANOV NARROWLY MISSES OUT IN MEN'S SKI JUMPING NORMAL HILL

by Ilya Zivalvyuk

Stanko Kuzmanovic was the best of the Mytanars in the men’s ski jumping normal hill qualifying, he finished tied for 31st but is through to the medal round tomorrow after his 122 points performance. Kuzmanovic was hindered by his lack of distance in comparison to his fellow competitors, only managing a 99 metre jump and 62 distance points as a result. His jump was technically strong though and this allowed him to collect a solid 54 points from the judges. Kuzmanovic will not be expecting to fight for medals tomorrow, he finished over 16 points down on the leaders Darinko Bucic (Srednjaci) and Fortunato Montage (Unified Panjuven Team), but a solid showing in the medal round could see him move up the standings into an extremely respectable position.

Ski jumping isn’t generally somewhere the OKM has been expecting to fight for medals during this Winter Olympics, Mytanija has never had a strong tradition in the sport and most of the athletes competing wouldn’t even be on the radar of the elite athlete programmes in those nations that are strong in the events. Kuzmanovic was joined in the medal round by Mojas Komnencic and the pair weren’t even expected to get that far, a top twenty showing would be a pleasant surprise for the OKM and for Komnencic – the younger of the two – could even see increased support ahead of the next games.

Anesa Samec is perhaps Mytanija’s best hope in the ski jumping, she is a native of the mountainous (and wintry) western parts of Thessia on the border with Swartaz and is actually a very proficient alpine skier too. She’s best in the ski jumping though and Samec may well be an outside shot at a medal if she performs to her best. She’ll be competing in both the normal hill and large hill events, as well as the team event. The OKM won’t be expecting anything from her, but the 23 year old could surprise a few people.

Mixed results

Branko Lazarevic and Danika Savicevic started well in the mixed doubles curling with an 8-4 victory in their opener over the Teremaran Unified Team’s Stephan Renhirsch and Geira Sveinnsdottir, before defeating Siovanija and Teusland’s Peter Bauer and Alice Schwarz 7-3 in their second game. This has left them in pole position in their group alongside the host nation’s Cholé Dubois and Destry Grégoire. The fixture between the Mytanar duo and Kelssek’s own pair could well be one of the best in the event, with potentially a whole lot riding on it in terms of group position as well as the quality both pairs have shown through their opening two fixtures.

It was a less impressive start in the figure skating team event as Mytanija’s performances were marred by technical imprecision, the judges weren’t impressed with the efforts in the men’s or pairs short programmes and it has left Mytanija way down the standings as a result. The team’s showing has arguably been weaker than the sum of its parts, although with Nermin Ahmedhodzic and Lejla Nisic still to come there is some hope that a more respectable position in the standings can be salvaged. A poor start may have put paid to any hopes of a good finish however.

Medal potential for Day 1?

The programme for the first full day of events has potential for some strong performances from Mytanar athletes. The women’s 7.5km sprint in the biathlon sees Aida Ekmecic and Zaharinka Merakovska begin their games, both are better in the 12.5km event but this could be an early chance for a medal for Mytanija should either perform well. In the short track speed skating, Nedzad Ostojic will be one of the favourites for a medal in the men’s 1,500m event, he will see some big competition though – particularly from those pesky Krytenians – and it will definitely be a real challenge for him despite his impressive track record.

Nea Vogrin will begin her jam-packed schedule with the women’s 3,000m speed skating and will be looking to get off to a good start whilst the Avdic twins will begin their Olympics in the women’s 15km skiathlon. Neither is expected to figure too much in the reckoning for medals, but the 22 year old sisters will look to use this as a platform to build on for future games given their obvious potential.
FEDERATIVNA REPUBLIKA MYTANIJA
Federal Republic of Mytannion

Capital: Esca
Population: c. 49,600,000
Demonym: Mytanar

Interested in Mytanar sport? Visit the Mytanski sportski mediji web page

Ioudaia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Men's Ski Jump: Normal Hill
Entauren Mountain Resort
Day 0

As promised, Tychon ben Silounos Hillel was waiting for Matan ben Utz when he'd finished his jumps.
Tychon walked up to him, microphone in hand, cameraman in tow. "You qualified! Congratulations, Matan! What do you think of your distance?"

Matan frowned but nodded. "Not bad, not bad at all. I'm not sure I'm in medal contention with 129, but I'm not sure I'm not. But it's a big improvement over last year. I'll take it!"

"Do you feel ready for tomorrow?"

"Yes."

Tychon looked at him expectantly, apparently waiting for a longer answer. Matan wasn't sure what he should say, but an Ioudaian flag waving in the crowd caught his eye. Taking a closer look, he realized that there were a bunch of them. He pointed off in that direction, and let Tychon and the camera turn to look. "I think the olympic team has its omen."

Tychon frantically tried to think of a witty remark, and he was saved by his cameraman nodding rapidly and mouthing, "Tamid ben Ebron."

At which point, Tychon did the expected sportscaster thing, faced into the camera, and gushed, "Yes, I can see Tamid ben Ebron, another skier and the Sports Ministry's Assistant for Olympic Outreach! I think the whole ski team is here." He turned back to Matan. "It looks like your score did the trick! Congratulations again!" And he signaled for the cameraman to cut the live feed.

Day 1

Matan stood at the top of the jump in the ready posture, leaning forward, poles set for the push-off.. "Deep breath... Deep breath. Visualize... and go!" Matan pushed off perfectly, and sailed down the slope.

Biathlon: Women's 7.5 km Sprint
Coronet Park, Clayquot

As the Ioudaian team was waiting for their start times, Hermine Reut bat Antiope turned to Kyra Glezos. "So, another pair of medals today like the last Games?"

Kyra gave her a cross look. "Would you quit that! The field is huge this time. We need to get our heads in the race. I need to get my head in the race."

"But—"

"Yeah, I know: I'm team captain, and I'm really good at this, and I should be encouraging everybody. So, do your best. Remember to pace yourself when shooting; the penalty loop takes longer than getting into your shooting rhythm." She left a long silence, and then added, "And remember to cheer for me in the pursuit." She finished with a big smile.

Hermine returned the smile. "Yes, ma'am! Right: rhythm, rhythm, shooting rhythm. I'll try."

"Good. Your start's coming up. Focus. And good luck."

Speed Skating: Women's 3,000 m
Fratellis Olympic Oval, Clayquot

Kohinoor Pazit, Bahar Spardozhad, and Lenvona Jaleh arrived early at Fratellis. They found a good vantage point, and from there, took in the ice arena.

Kohinoor, still studying the track and the audience, asked nobody in particular. "You nervous?"

Lenvona answered without turning away. "Very. And you?"

"Oooh, yeah! This is not like back home. I'd much rather be out on the Aelo Rud than on this oval. But almost nobody runs river races like we do."

"We just give out diadems. These guys give out medals."

Kohinoor laughed nervously. "Yeees." She looked over the track silently for a while. "Well, let's try not to embarrass ourselves out there."

"Yeah, that sounds like a good goal. Anything else is gravy."

Bahar shook her head. "I think we can do better. Let's aim for the top half of the finishers." Her companions turned to her, disbelieving. "Top half. That means we can still come in behind a lot of people, it just means we beat more than we lose to."

Kohinoor turned back to the track, face in a tight frown. Lenvona whispered "maybe", but didn't continue the thought.
Last edited by Ioudaia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npc West Florida
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Npc West Florida » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

ImageThe National News Network

John Depenshire:
“A week ago the Npc West Florida Winter Olympics Athletes arrived in Clayquot, Kelssek. The team was greeted by a small crowd of Floradians who had made the trip to watch the Olympics. However there are many doubts about the outcome of the Delegation, such as how will teams mostly from the swamp do well in winter sports? And how can a country that did do badly in the summer Olympics do good in Winter Olympics?

However we have been fortunate enough to get the secretary of sports, Juanita Hartman.

Madam secretary, what is your opinion about the ice hockey teams?”

Juanita Hartman:
I believe the teams will do fine, the teams have been practicing in for awhile to make the cut, and the teams have the best of the best in Npc West Florida.

John Depenshire:
And what is your opinion about the curling teams?

Juanita Hartman:
I believe that the teams will be pretty average as a team, as Npc West Florida does not Gabe many skilled curlers, so we had to accept a few bot as good ones.

John Depenshire:
Very interesting, and sadly that is all the time we have for today, so goodbye and remember to watch the National News Network, your only source of floradian news!
Welcome to West Florida! Read This guide for Its General information and This one for my military information. If you are interested in more information, please wait while it is passing the security clearance

Siovanija and Teusland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Siovanija and Teusland » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 pm

RBC Sports

Winter Olympic Games Coverage

Athlete Profile: Liselotte Schierer

Siovanija & Teusland have never competed at the Olympic Winter Games. One of the members of their delegation, however, is a decorated Olympian already, with a gold and bronze medal hanging proudly in her collection.

On the first official day of competition at these games, Liselotte Schierer will make history, becoming the first athlete to represent Siovanija & Teusland in both the Winter and Summer Games. What does arguably the nation’s most high-profile female athlete have to say about this achievement?

“It’s very nice,” says Schierer, at the Olympic Village residences of Team Siovanija & Teusland. The young girl who introduced herself to the world 6 years ago with a serious face and little time for laughter hasn’t added much to her vocabulary since then, still giving those short answers as she did in Republica at the 13th Games. She has grown up, however, in other ways.

“I’d say that I am definitely more mature,” she says. In Republica, she didn’t leave the hotel between events, preferring to focus only on her mindset before the competition. In Istria, she reportedly made only one trip out of the Olympic complex. This time around, however, she’s more interested in site-seeing: she was spotted with a few fellow teammates taking in a concert at the Etnier People’s Opera.

On the surface, Schierer is the perfect poster for Olympic athletics, particularly for women, in this country. She’s a gold medalist - winning the team archery competition alongside Ferdinand Starker in Istria. She seems to be made of the virtues that have defined Teus culture for years - humble, quiet, confident. In a time that star athletes like Denis Dezelac are growing more and more famous for some of the wrong reasons, Schierer isn’t one to comment on her competition, or to be seen out late in downtown Stelburg. She couldn’t be anyways - she’s a military athlete, part of the Defence Forces’ special program for soldiers particularly skilled in sport.

In her home country, she is still most famous for winning the Grand Hunt at age 18, the first female to ever win the storied archery tournament and the second-youngest winner of all time. She has won the competition a further 5 years since then. This year, however, she announced she would not be defending the title of ‘Master of the Hunt.’ “I wanted to put all of my focus on getting to these Games,” she says, explaining the decision.

Liselotte says she’s not quite the skier she is the archer, due to less practice time, but as expected of a member of the military’s elite Mountain Rifles division, she is an ace shot. That will serve her well in the women’s 7.5km Biathlon sprint, her sole event of these games. “It’s the most fun, for me. I’ve been skiing from a young age, I love the feel of it, and it’s my favourite thing to do.” Schierer competed in the various cups across the country before being invited to the Stelburg-Sankt Gotthard Winter Prize, the qualification event for the Winter Olympics.

“I knew the new format was going to make it harder, which is why I wanted to put everything into my training for this.” Schierer would end up finishing 3rd in the competition, good enough to qualify her for Clayquot. But not enough, in her mind: “For me, that just means I already have two people to beat in addition to all the other competitors.” Schierer enters the event as a possible medal hopeful, but in such a large event with many skilled competitors, it is impossible to predict the final outcome.

Either way, the fans back home will be supporting her as always. In her first Olympic Games, her tiny mountain village hometown of Bad Willinger renamed its main square Liselotte-Schierer-Platz. They’ll be doing the same in cities across the country. Schierer has become a role model of sorts - especially for young girls, a role she is very happy in: “I think it’s important, and that’s why I try to be as professional as possible at all times. I didn’t really realize, honestly, until a cousin of mine who is a schoolteacher showed me a project done by a girl who said I was her hero, because I inspired her to keep playing hockey and being athletic when she was considering quitting. And if I can have that impact, that’s what matters most, not just winning.”

What does the future hold for Liselotte Schierer? “I wish I knew, haha,” she says, a rare smile from the Olympian. She says she plans to fulfil her contract with the military, which lasts 2 more years, and to compete in ‘1 or 2’ more Olympics before retiring. Her respect for her service has to be admired - Schierer could quit the military tomorrow and instantly make millions in endorsements, but has decided to see out her original service contract signed upon graduation from the National Mountain Warfare Academy, before any of the fame and Olympic glory. Media have speculated on potential romantic partners for years, but while Schierer says she does want a family one day, that can wait until after her career. Schierer keeps her private life hidden away from the spotlight, as most athletes in this country tend to do, but does hint that after retirement she’d like to stay involved in the sporting world somehow.

Liselotte Schierer will be making history today no matter what when she steps out to compete in the women’s 7.5km biathlon. But wouldn’t it be lovely to add to that history with a first medal of these games, and a third of her Olympic career? All eyes will be on her as the Winter Olympic Games continue.
The United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland
Capital: Borograd | Population: 74,245,000 | Demonyms: Siovanijan, Teus | Country Code: STL

World Cup of Hockey 40, 41 & 42 Champions ⋆ World Junior Hockey Championship 14 Champions

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm

RP cutoff for day 1

Day 1 results
Last edited by Kelssek on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Augusticinia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Augusticinia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Augusticinia starts strong on Olympic run

While the Augusticinian team prepped for their proud flag march in the opening ceremony, sporting a classy set of team sportscoats and dresses, a few members already had shown well in events that Augusticinia is not particularly well known for. Earlier in the day Augusticinia played two rounds of Mixed Doubles Curling, with the young sibling duo of Naeem and Nadia Zakán, who are well known for a particularly flashy and aggressive style of play not particularly seen in the rather stoic game of curling. The duo although losing, saw a tight game that held firm until the final two ends. In the penultimate end Boo and Ingrid Beaver of the Kriegiersien delegation broke the 5-5 tie game with a well placed shot that put the lead up to 5-7 for Kriegiersien. Augusticinia tried to retaliate with atypically reserved pushes and careful brushing from the part of Naeem Zakán, but in a close end Augusticinia was only able to gain one point yielding a close loss to a highly ranked and respected team. The Zakáns however were not dour after the match and converted their momentum well into the next match against an easier Tikariot team. The Zakáns held a strong lead throughout the match, even yielding an end with 4 points added to their score. Overall the Zakáns are currently placed 2nd in group B, with one win and one loss, with a large point aggregate thanks to their consistent and competitive play.

Another pleasant surprise of the day was Augusticinia's showing in the Men's Normal Hill, with debut athlete Karol Dnistrov. Dnistrov, a 24-year old ski jumper, competed in his first international competition, and his first time under the Augusticinian flag. Dnistrov tied for the 44th place in the qualifier with a strong score of 119, due to a decent jump and strong technique, putting him just under 20 points of the current leaders. Dnistrov will compete for the medal tomorrow, and despite the mounting pressure, after seeing the final results Dnistrov commented "It's just great to be out here with all of these fantastic athletes. They're the best in the world and I'll get the chance to show my best, and who knows maybe a medal this time, or maybe a medal next time. Regardless conditions are great, the competitors fantastic, and I'm just happy to be here."

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Clayquot, Kelssek
Athletes’ Village

It was well past midnight local time. The ambient blue of his computer screen reflected rapidly off of Andro’s glasses. Dark shapes, blocking the background materialized and faded with each leftward dart of his eyes.

“134 meters…” he mumbled, tapping wildly on his USB-attached 10-key punchpad.

“Air density?”

A quick turn to his left, as his finger impacted a stack of papers next to his laptop. The texture was audibly abrasive as he ran the fingertip across it.

“Good enough…”

Back to the 10-key punchpad. Another flurry of inputs.

“Average temperature is -4 degrees…”

Another quick succession of keystrokes. Behind him, down the hallway, a light clicked on. The low audible of a toilet being flushed could be heard. The light clicked back off.

Andro smiled. A single black rectangle stood reflected back off his glasses.

“This is great…” he whispered to himself. “Based upon these projections…” he leaned back to his left to consult a table of figures, “and assuming a normalized temperature and air density distribution…. The projected placing range is anywhere from First to Fifth. Those are really, really good odds.”

He leaned back in his chair, rubbing his neck slightly to work out the kinks. The neon red of the clock burned at his sore eyes. He had been at this for hours and lost track of time.

“Weighted distribution suggested Silver is most likely given performances by comparable peer group athletes…. Almost 25% chance. I can live with that,” he concluded, shutting his laptop following a quick save.

The sudden darkness in the room was unsettling, no longer lit by his electronic light. His eyes hurt. The rest could wait until morning.

RP Courtesy of Falkasia
Last edited by Teremaran Olympics Delegation on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm

Opening Ceremony

The Diarcesian flag, the Chrysolynx, is on its unfurled state and bore by the speed skater Eutaur Metaxas.

The gold and red of the flag represented a nation that united several fractious city-states more than a millennium ago. The lynx itself was of personal significance to Arkess, the first Monarch. Metaxas happily waved the flag as the delegation makes its way through its prescribed route.

The delegation then took their seats after the parade and watched the presentation unfolding before their eyes: children battling and defeating corrupted forces of nature. The narrative continued as the protagonists continued along their quest to defeat P’gourix and overcome the temptations thrown their way.

The music found its way to spur various kinds of emotions to the Diarcesians, especially when the children combined the seal of power that form the Olympic Estoile. Every one of them applauded when Briana Meekinson took the torch and lit the cauldron.

The games are now formally started. What would it hold to these hopefuls from Diarcesia? Would they be able to rise up to the challenge and improve on their performances in the previous iteration of the Winter Olympics? To be the best they could be? Or would they be tarnished by disappointing results?

Figure Skating Team Event

The crowd back in Diarcesia has high expectations for the figure skaters in the team event. After a middling score for the men's short program. The Eliot siblings committed an entirely avoidable error in the pairs short program that merited a measly five points. Diarcesia languished near the bottom of the standings at the end of day one.

In the Monarchy's second appearance in the Winter Olympics, the event held a wide appeal for any fan of sports and entertainment. During their pre-Olympics competitions, the theme songs and choreography they used were consistently a hit, with one of their performances iced with a touch of the Duolinise musician Westley Jang's "Weekend".

Jang's music was a mix of classical and electronic. The beats were at parts sublime, at others fast and furious, all punctuated by bursts of rumbling bass. The synths were also used in a rhythmic and interesting way. The high frequences complement the punchy low ones, snuggled together into a nicely-rounded sound.

These setbacks, were compounded by more average showings the next day. The Diarcesians tried and sadly failed to up their ante and catch up to their competitors. Is this the best they can do?

The first two match days were tough for the mixed curling pair of Fiw Hekkisukiw and Wídwyn Heron. While the game against the Vilitan Union was close for much of its duration, the Diarcesians failed to follow through and convert it to a win in several key moments.

The clincher came when Zorella Mumamba managed to knock out the Diarcesian rock from the button to break the tie and take the win. As of the end of matchday two, the pair of Hekkisukiw and Heron is seventh out of eight in Group C.

"Well, it was clear that our opponents are better at what they do both times. What else can we do but continue to train and practice?" Hekkisukiw told his teammate and coach after the competition. "We can still turn this around and learn from our mistakes."

The results spoke for themselves. They had work to do. On a positive note, the observers can notice this trend since their second loss was much closer than the decidedly one-sided face-off against Cassadaigua. One hopes that this would hold in their next games.

However, it did not come as a pleasant surprise. Additional defeats against Unified Panjuven Team and Krytenia, cementing their place at rock bottom (pun not intended).

"We might've had bit off more than we chewed," the pair told the press after their fourth defeat.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nurkama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nurkama » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:44 am

Michael Scandren walked up to the door of Almighty Lord Khalladorrum VI's throne room. He was a sweaty, nervous wreck, he couldn't stop fiddling with the papers in his hands, quadruple-checking to make sure everything was in order. This meeting with the Almighty Lord to discuss the possibility of Nurkamans at the Olympics was the riskiest and most dangerous thing he has ever done. If the Almighty Lord did not approve of the idea he could be demoted, or worse, face jail time for even suggesting such a ridiculous idea. Almighty Lord Khalladorrum VI was known to be stubborn and often refused to cooperate or compromise with anybody, typically throwing those whom he disagrees with in prison to have them reflect on the decision to disobey the will of the Almighty Lord.

He stood in front of the massive doors for a few minutes, shaking, before an armed security guard finally opened the door. The guard took a brief look at Michael before searching through a list of those who were meeting with the Almighty Lord that day.

"Scandren?"

"Y-yes, that would be me." Michael said, tugging at his collar.

"Right this way." the guard replied.

Michael sheepishly walked down the incredibly long pathway that led to a set of stairs and a platform with a massive golden throne upon which Lord Khalladorrum VI was sitting. The Almighty Lord was dressed in a long, black, silky robe that covered him from head to toe, with a crown resting atop his head made of the finest rubies from the mines of Nurkama. Michael stood behind the guard as they walked towards the Almighty Lord until they were ten feet in front of the stairs. The guard headed to the left side of the room, with another guard being positioned on the right. Michael got down on his knees and bowed before his Lord.

"Almighty Lord Khalladorrum, I have come with a simple request." Michael said, trying to keep his cool.

"And who might you be?" Lord Khalladorrum replied, already unimpressed with Michael.

"Michael Scandren, the man you appointed to be the head of the Nurkaman Sports Federation."

"Ah yes, what irrelevant sporting squabble do you have for me today? Do you want me to change the national sport to volleyball or some little meaningless thing like that?"

"No, my Lord. I want Nurkaman athletes competing on the world stage, in order to display our nation's supreme dominance and superiority with the world."

Lord Khalladorrum pondered the idea for a moment. Perhaps he could use this as a way to reinforce the concept of Nurkaman supremacy within the people of his nation, distracting the citizenry from government corruption and oppression by bringing them together in support of the Nurkaman athletes. On the other hand, allowing Nurkamans to leave the country may cause information from the outside world to leak into the nation, possibly causing more public uproar against the government, something Lord Khalladorrum did not want to occur in the slightest.

"What international competition do you suppose we have Nurkamans compete in? Are we holding an event here?" Lord Khalladorrum asked.

Michael was somewhat relieved by this response, as it indicated to him that the Almighty Lord was interested in the idea. His confidence somewhat boosted, he proudly declared "The XV Olympic Winter Games in Kelssek. We've proposed sending hockey teams as well as figure skaters and speed skaters. I've even got ahold of a few up and coming bobsledders to participate."

Lord Khalladorrum's face turned into a frown at sound of the word "Kelssek". He knew that Kelssek was a nation almost completely opposed to Nurkaman values, with far greater freedoms than an average Nurkaman could ever dream of. If an athlete or staff member found out about the living conditions of Kelssek when compared to Nurkama, they could possibly defect from Nurkama altogether. Lord Khalladorrum put his hand on his chin and stared at Michael for about a minute, mulling over the information he had just learned. Michael was sweating profusely, his nervousness and fear flooding back in.

"I will allow Nurkaman athletes to participate at these games. Under one condition..."

TWO MONTHS LATER...

Nurkama Sports Reporter
LANCE COPPELER SHOCKS THE WORLD

Lance Coppeler celebrating his victory
CLAYQUOT, KELSSEK - In a stunning performance, Nurkaman short track speed skater Lance Coppeler won gold in the short track men's 1500m event, beating out 89 other skaters from around the world. In the preliminary rounds Coppeler did not have an overly impressive performance against his competition but managed to pull through and successfully qualify for the quarterfinals, where he did well and was second in his heat, only behind Alceste Deshaies of Saint-Domingue. Coppeler had a mediocre time of 2:14.039 in the semifinal, barely qualifying for the medal final thanks to poor performances by the other competitors in his semifinal heat. In the final, Coppeler successfully outperformed his competitors, dominating the competition to take the gold for Nurkama by putting up a new personal best and national record time of 2:11.484. "I'm still in shock, I never thought I'd come even close to victory, I thought I was lucky to even make the final." Coppeler said after receiving his gold medal. "I gave it my all and I managed to put up the best result I could have possibly asked for." Many sports news outlets from other competing nations attempted to discredit Coppeler's victory, stating that it was a "total sham" and "this newcomer winning gold is an embarrassment to the sport". They have claimed that Coppeler has been taking performance-enhancing drugs but we have confirmed this to be false. It seems that the other nations of the world cannot accept Nurkama's dominance and attempt to undermine the achievements of our great nation's athletes. We have proven them wrong!

In other news, speed skater Olivia Wyvern competed in the women's 3000m event and placed 19th out of 90 competitors. A solid performance for the young lady, who has only just begun her speed skating career. "I had a few sloppy moments during the event. I couldn't get a medal but I tried my hardest and I believe that I have made Nurkama proud." Wyvern stated following the event. We are excited to see her develop over the next few years and truly become a force to be reckoned with in women's speed skating.

Vincent Burlapp, President of the Nurkaman Ice Skating Sports Association, publicly congratulated both Coppeler and Wyvern today, stating that "They have demonstrated to both the Nurkaman people and the world what excellence in speed skating looks like. These successes, as well as the many more we can hope to have over the course of the games, will surely grow the sport and inspire the next generation of Nurkaman speed skaters to pursue their dreams. Lance will surely go down in history as one of Nurkama's greatest athletes of all time. Olivia will have an impressive career if today's performance is any indication, greater success will certainly follow for her in the future."
Last edited by Nurkama on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
he/him

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby West Phoenicia » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:54 am

West Phoenician fans cringe at the poor performance of the Figure skating Team Event.
Hopes of repeating a gold medal performance as the team achieved at the XIV Winter Olympics Neverend, Liventia & Yeaddin is fading quicker than the sun in the evening.

Couch coaches and spectators who made the journey flying into Latrobe's Burke Airport and transferring through to Craig Nolan Airport were equally disappointed at the current results of one of the nation's favourite winter sports.

Most disappointed was expressed from the Farmer family of Lower Gospela a small rural province in the city-state of Gospela: West Phoenicia.
Joseph and Mary-Lou Farmer and their three children Casper, Louise and little 5-year-old Penny make up the Farmer family.

Mary-Lou while shopping for the families weekly groceries at This Little Piggy Supermarket didn't think twice about spending 1 Ba'al to purchase a raffle ticket.
The grand prize was an all-expenses-paid trip for a family to attend the XV Olympics Games, the package includes a 4-star hotel stay, $3000 spending money, and entry into two events of their choice of the duration of the Games including the Opening and Closing ceremony.
In addition, they were awarded a meet and greet with their favourite West Phoenician Olympic athlete.

Figure Skating was the top choice event for the family to attend. Its fan base exploded in West Phoenicia and was becoming as popular as ice hockey. Boys and girls had flocked to venues that held figure skating training. Figure skaters were being pinned to teenager walls alongside singers, actors and other famous sports stars. Especially the photo spread Angelika Lipinski partook in, where she was dressed in a low cut purple and gold outfit, as she posed in a very provocative pose with her skates and gold medal on the ice

Little Penny had hopes and aspirations to one day be a famous figure skater, even though her family did not have the money for lessons. There was a small possibility, Penny could be plucked from her humble surroundings and sent to training at the West Phoenician Institute of Sport where her idols Angelika Lipinski and Gypsy Parks also trained.

Not only had Angelika Lipinski taken out the gold in the women's category she and Gypsy Parks played an integral role in pushing the Figure Skating team event to victory.

Rewind to the XIV Winter Olympics.

It was dubbed the golden team

Prince Glenton Gryphon-Bush IV who would pull in a silver medal at the same games was strong and masculine on the ice. His greatest asset was reaching ample heights from his takeoff before performing his flawless triple axles and coming to land with ease and precision.

Angelika Lipinski whose hard work and dedication pulled in a gold medal. Everyone watching recalled holding their breath as she skated into a Triple Lutz, landing like a graceful swan. The sound of applause was a good indicator she had propelled Team West Phoenicia forward.

Gypsy Parks and Bo Grahame continue to make the perfect combination. Their side by side spins are perfectly performed in unison and they rebound well from moving from a camel spin to a sit spin to an upright spin in graceful precision. And Bo's favourite position is when Gypsy Parks moves from a camel spin to a sit spin while he performs a catchfoot while still in the camel position. Loving the artistry especially when the pair transition into a Backward inside death spiral.

Baron Thomas Boelyn and Tiffani Day brought up the rear with bursts of jazzy choreographic wonderment to the movement of a snazzy tune while performing Twizzles while emulating a couple in love with their jazz on ice steps.

All combined each athlete played their part in telling a story to the audience and judges.

To the Farmer family and other West Phoenicians watching the golden team had lost its shine at the current Winter Games. Returning to fight once more for the gold medal spot, the team couldn't hold a candle to the team it once was.

Prince Glenton Gryphon-Bush V Tryphon had big shoes to fill in replacing his brother on the team who is not up to the same calibre. During the team event Men's short program he missed times his launch causing his triple axles to be sloppy and shaky. He also lacked quality in his linking moves between the eight prescribed elements. He finished 11th with a pitiful score of 87.24.

The initial pairs short program saw the welcome return of Gypsy Parks and Bo Grahame who while their performance lacked the excitement and gold between the duo were able to go out in the ice and perform their elements with precision but nothing spectacular that would set them apart. Even their overhead lift and throw-jumps erred more on the safe side and didn't have the crowd begging for more.

Baron Thomas Boelyn and Tiffani Day finished in a comfortable position of 11th for the ice dancing component. which overall will not help the team claw its way to the top.
The duo has a skilful way of maintaining contact with each other and their complex steps were in perfect time and rhythms
to the selected music. Overall their glittery purple and gold outfits were the best of all fellow team members.

Princess Philadelphia Gryphon-Bush was the overall top attraction of the team placing 4th on 75.10. She seemed to be the only one whose performance was not safe, she is no Angelika Lipinski, but her jumps, spins and step work brought something new and different to the routine that was not seen prior, and her double and triple Lutzs was more crisp and on point and could go head to head with her predecessor.

Overall the technical score left a lot to be desired while the Program Component Score was safe and mediocre, lacking the bedazzle of previous appearances in regards to transition and choreography. And a lot more work will need to be done for the remainder of the competition especially

One could say it was her performance and technical skill aided in them making the top 10 to continue with the competition as the team moved into the pairs free skate, that has been labelled a disaster by diehard West Phoenician fans.

The bonus is the safe performance did land them in 5th position overall. But one fall by Bo Grahame on what appeared to be basic turns followed by an aggressive
throw-jumps also had Gypsy Parks lose her composure and fell onto the ice upon landing had them spiralling to 10th place for the performance, lowering their ranking to 7th.

A coach for the team expressed to the media, while the team was focused on tight precision performances and a stable degree of difficulty, they do agree the performances have missed the mark with fans who were hoping for so much better. Something to make them sit on the edges of their seats.
For the sake of a good technical score, they seemed to have removed any heart and originality from the performance. While the team event may not be their best work, coming time for the individual events team members are dedicated to shinning on the ice, with some amazing technique and, choreographed performances under their ice skates.
Fans will be cheering every triple, triple salchow, throw jump, overhead lifts, twizzles and death spirals throughout these games.
Last edited by West Phoenicia on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kriegiersien » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:39 am

The Schoenwetter Joker

Sport

The XV Winter Olympics in Clayquot, Kelssek have started.

Speeches were given from the people in power before it got better.

With an emotional heroic story about an unstoppable danger, friendship, survival, with cliffhanger and triumph in the end of course, the ceremony continued very entertaining like a movie.

The Kriegiersien delegation entered the parade of nations (which interrupted the story like a commercial) with less then half of their athletes.
Zomba La Bomba in a wheelchair in the front and with the flag. The Hamsters, Curling team of the men came in pretty unfazed just clad in their fur, bored taking pictures with their phones, after them a lot more enthusiastic the rest of the delegation. The biathletes, every family for their own with distance to their teammates from the rival families, the Alpine Skiers, Skaters, all in their short jerseys, before with the womens curling team finally a bit color seeped in.
As the Kriegiersien athletes have to bring their own clothes except the jerseys for the competitions, every discipline and athlete had their own idea.
The Curling team of the women in snugly red, blue, green and orange Cat costumes, made by their Lead Ulan were beaten by the costumes with feathers in all different colours from the skeleton teams. The Ice Dancers came in thick tunics looking noble, while many others, like the snowboarders preferred simple and in their cases cool locking warm coats and sunglasses.

The hockey teams were completely missing, making further training sessions, as did the Bandy teams who were still on the way.

The ceremony ended with another emotional moment, the torch lightning introduced by the relatives and friends of a deceased Olympic athlete.

Meanwhile the competitions have begun.

The first days saw controversies about the format used in figure skating what angered the Ice Skaters from Liventia most.

The misunderstanding from some athletes of the judging system in Ski Jumping led to further discussions.

While the Kriegiersien team ended with good results on the starting day, with the mixed Curling team winning and the Figure Skating team on the third place after the first day and three of four athletes qualifying for the Final in Ski Jumping, it wouldn’t go on that good.

In the second day came the big collapse for all skaters, the Biathletes had no Top 10 place and lot of Final qualifications failed, but there are hopes in Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding thanks to Skull Dodgery and Cliff White. The mixed Curling team also won all games.

Only Caperinia Teewinter in the Cross-country skiing - Women's 15 km Skiathlon surprised with the third place. She fought her way through all resistance and against better judgement of the doctors before, not to start with a cold and at the end won in a photo finish bronze in front of Phyllis bat Ilana from Ioudaia.
"I won a medal for my homeland, that makes me proud. I only regret that I couldn't win gold", said the fierce patriot between fits of coughing.

Kriegiersien is now as Kreigiersien in the the Medal Table.

And Dogman returns in our comic for the Olympics.

?
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Saint-Domingues
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Domingues » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 am

GOLD!
Speed Skating - Women's 3,000m: First medal achieved as Margot Hardanger strikes gold

Saint-Domingue have secured a first ever Olympic medal on day one of the 15th Winter Olympics as Margot Hardanger skated to victory in the women's 3,000m.

Recording an impressive time of 4:02.14 - more than a second and a half over her nearest challenger, Cassadaigua's Gabby Burns - Hardanger was able to rack up a time that proved unbeatable to become the first ever Dominguan Olympic Champion.

Having been hyped up as one of the favourites for the gold in this discipline - indeed, Hardanger is seen as a likely challenger for medals across all of the speed skating events - to win a gold medal at the first attempt is a fantastic achievement for the 23-year-old.

The two other Saint-Dominguans competing in this event were Virgine Blanchard and Alizée Clérico. Blanchard secured a respectable 44th place with a time of 4:15.88, whilst Clérico had a disappointing skate to place much lower down the leaderboard at 77th in 4:20.39 seconds.

Saint-Domingue's Margot Hardanger: "I'm glad I didn't have to go until near the end, it was really nervous watching to see if anyone would beat my time! Being one of the later ones gives you a good idea of the times you need to make sure you get a medal - you're constantly working out in your head as people race, how much you think you'll need to get a top three placing considering who has gone and who has to come. Having been more than a second ahead of Gabby [Burns] I got a feeling I was on to something good. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about winning a medal the whole time. Did I think I was gonna get the gold? To be honest, no. Even when the second-last person was skating I had this feeling somebody was going to beat me to it. It was only at the last-second I really believed. You can see me welling up there, haha. There was definitely a light-bulb moment where it clicked and I knew it was happening."

"So yeah, I'm really really happy to have this medal. I'm going to treasure it forever, and the memories I've made being here in Clayquot. I know there is plenty more to go but already it has surpassed my wildest dreams. Not only can I say I was an Olympian but an Olympic champion! Wow! Uhm... congratulations to Gabby and Lenvona [Jaleh] too, both of you guys skated great and it was amazing to share the podium with you. That photo is going straight on my wall."

"I want to thank my coach, your experience and advice has been invaluable! My bofriend; he's been so great putting up with all this, the travel, the expenses, me always being away and practicing; my family, I love all of you, to see so many of you in the arena eased so many of my nerves; the fans here were amazing too, the turnout was so good! Oh and my fellow skaters too: Virginie Blanchard and Alizée Clérico. We're doing the pursuit together, we practice together all the time. We hang out in the village. We're all so supportive of each other and that means the world. Thank you girls! There are probably so many more people who I owe this victory to that I can't remember so I'm sorry! I'm so happy right now and it is overwhelming. Thank you everyone!"
Day One Summary
Hardanger, Blanchard and Clérico were not the only athletes competing for Saint-Domingue today. Violaine Demaret and Huguette Leclair partook in the 7.5km sprint, though both did not earn a medal. Demaret finished 33rd, whilst the unfancied Leclair overpeformed massively to finish 48th from 128 competitors.

Blaise Arceneaux and Nina Guillaume were the mixed pairing for the curling doubles. The duo put the disappointment from the loss in their first matchday behind them as they beat the Valanoran pair of William Clausen and Heliana Adomo 7-5 and then defeated Mariah Griffin and Abel Hernandez of Taeshan 7-6 for a solid placing so far in Group A.

Gonzalo Fresno is a surprising contended in the luge after two excellent runs to start things off. The luger is currently in second place with two more runs to come.

After a below-par showing in the opening day from the figure skating team, a series of improved performances - including a 3rd-placed ice dance and the ladies securing 5th - has ensured that Saint-Domingue obtained the required top 10 finish to progress, having finished in 7th. Unfortunately, the free skating was not the best and they finished 9th. At the conclusion of day 2 the team are in 10th overall.

Robin Stuart came agonisingly close to making it to the men's 1,500m short track quater-finals. He finished behind his nearest competitor by less than a second to end up in 4th, missing out on the top 3 and progression from the preliminaries. Stuart's time of 2:16.046 would have secured him 3rd in the group of his compatriot Alceste Deshaies, who got 2nd with a time of 2:15.947. Deshaies then topped his set in the quarter-finals with a better time of 2:14.172. Deshaies finally faltered at the semi-finals, reversing his progress by only recording a time of 2:16.586, more than 4 seconds behind the top finish who would go on to win the silver.

Blanche Beaufort finished 55th in the women's 15km skiathlon. The skiier was admittedly competing in her weakest discipline and will hope for improved performances across the games.

Lambert Pleimelding was let down by a poor first run as he missed out on a medal in the ski jump (men's individual - normal hill). Pleimelding, who was seen as another Dominguan with a decent shot at a medal, recorded a poor score of 123.5 in his first try. Despite a much better showing of 133.5 at the second attempt, his total of 257 feel an agonising 8 points short of a medal.

In the snowboarding, Yves Delaunney faltered in the men's slopestyle, missing out on qualification for the finals by finishing 16th. Compatriot Lucien Planter performed better by recording a 10th-place finish but similarly missed out.

-1 Margot Hardanger (SDM)               4:02.14 GOLD
2 Gabby Burns (CDG) 4:03.79 SILVER
3 Lenvona Jaleh (IOU) 4:03.86 BRONZE
-
44 Virginie Blanchard (SDM) 4:15.80
-
77 Alizée Clérico (SDM) 4:20.39
Last edited by Saint-Domingues on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:57 am

The Sour Kind
"I only know one thing, that is I know nothing"

Commentaries| Timothy Jozua

XV Olympic Winter Games Updates

Team Mapletish as an olympic delegation haven't had any long history in the Winter Games. The only other Winter Games that saw the Maplish delegation in action would be way back in the XI Winter Olympics in Electrum. That however did not stop the Mapletish Sports Federation from sending another delegation to match up with the rest of the multiverse in winter sports. Following the dispute between the national sports associations and the Mapletish Board of Sports Organisations (MBSO), the MBSO had insisted to not send their professional athletes for any national team call ups. This was extended to the Winter Olympics. As a result we see a semi-professional athletes contingent for the first time in the Maplish participation in the Olympics, whether is it the summer or the winter games.

First order of business, we look at the team sports. For Curling - Men's event, the Maplish team is drawn into Group D. Group D consists of 8 other teams, namely Flexanewmega, West Phoenicia, Sonnel, Chromatika, Græntfjall, Kriegiersien, Vilitan Union and the Unified Panjuven Team. The Women's team is drawn into Group B. Liventia, Krytenia, Sirian, Renzynistan, Saint-Domingue, Chromatika, Unified Panjuven Team and Augusticinia are the other few teams which will contend for the top 4 sports together with our curling team here. Same with all the other curling sports, the top 4 of each group will advance to the round of 16. Eyes are already on how the Maplish team is able to advance out of the group stage, as competition remains stack in both the men's and women's group. Big names linger in both of the groups. On the other hand the Curling Mixed Doubles team of Tiffany Brewer and Allen James are looking to just survive the group stage and to gain some additional multiverse exposure. Having been drawn into Group D together with New Waldensia, Renzynistan, Mytanija, Kelssek, Teremaran Unified Team and Siovanija & Teusland.

As for the ice-hockey events, the top 2 of each group will advance to the knockout rounds, namely the round of 16, while the third-placed teams and two best fourth place teams will advance towards the round of 16 via a play-in round. The Dragons here are drawn into Group D, together with Fluvannia, Darmen, Northwest Kalactin, Saint-Domingue, Abovian Union, Teremaran Unified Team and the Equestrian States of Poland. Especially when it comes to the sport of ice-hockey, expectations are bound to be high for the Dragons but this is a team which is very much different from the teams that were able to finish in podium positions in the World Cup of Hockey 20, 21 and 22. The Dragons are now a team of semi-professionals, one must remember and alter their expectations as such but expect them to put some upsets especially against big names Darmen and Northwest Kalactin.

For the women side of the ice hockey tournament, the Dragons are drawn into Group B together with Taeshan, Chromatika, Teremaran Unified Team, Vilitan Union, Mytanija and Central Shaneville. Drawn together with big names, the Dragons are expected to put up with a beating against all of them, special attention is also placed on heavyweights Vilitan Union, Mytanija and Taeshan. Similarly, the top 2 of each group will advance to the knockout rounds while the third-place teams and two best fourth placed teams will play a play in round, so chances are the Dragons got sufficient chances to increase their exposure to multiverse opponents, especially in women's ice-hockey, without a known multiverse competition other than the World Cup of Hockey for the ladies to play against multiverse opponents.

As for the Bandy events, the top two teams of each group will advance towards the semi-finals. As for the Men's team, they were drawn to Group B together with Terre Des Gaules, Northwest Kalactin, Kelssek and Tikariot. Special attention on Northwest Kalactin, Kelssek and Tikariot as they pose significant threats to the Bandy team should they wish to advance to the semi-finals. For the ladies, they were drawn to Group B as well, together with hosts Kelseek, New Waldensia, Northwest Kalactin and Neu Engollon.

Moving on to the results for Day 0. From the Curling- Mixed doubles. The mixed pair of Tiffany Brewer and Allen James lost narrowly to the Kelssek pair of Cholé Dubois and Destry Grégoire, 9-8. This leaves the Maplish pair in fifth place in Group D having only played one game in the group and with many more chances to go.

The Figure skating- team event is up next with the Men's Short program, as Mapletish scored 94.72 points to finish with 23 points as they finished in fourth place behind Liventia, Npc West Florida and New Waldensia. Ini the pairs short program, the Maplish side scored 78.96 points to garner 24 points in 3rd place behind Taeshan and new Waldensia. This placed them second overall after the two events with 47 points total, finishing just behind New Waldensia who had accumulated 49 points.

*                          M-SP  P-SP    Total
New Waldensia (NWD) 24 25 49
Mapletish (MAP) 23 24 47
Kriegiersien (KGS) 22 19 41

In the ski jumping, men's individual normal hill event qualification round, Edmund Singleton jumped 133.5 points placing him in eighth in the qualifying, the qualifying best jumper went to Darinko Bucic and Fortunato Montagne who both clocked 138.5 points. Jacob Jensen who clocked 123.5 points, Ricardo Huff, 121.5 points and Terrel Salazar who clocked 120.5 points rounded up the top 50 jumpers in positions to advance to the final.

Day 1 of the Winter Games began with the Biathlon - Women's 7.5km sprint event. The event was won by Johanne Massey-Mah from the Royal Kingdom of Quebec, who clocked 20:00.5 to win gold. The Maplish representatives Julie Palmer clocked 21:07.3 to finish as the 27th fastest while compatriots, Jamie Ortega finished 47th with a timing of 21:49.0, Raquel Walker finished 59th with a timing of 22:02.1 and Jana Lynch finished 72nd with a timing of 22:16.7.

In the curling mixed doubles, the pair of Tiffany Brewer and Allen James lost their 2nd encounter, this time round against Stephan Renhirsch and Geira Sveinnsdottir from the Teremaran Unified Team 7-10. The pair then clawed back a victory in their third match with a 8-5 win over Peter Bauer and Alice Schwarz from Siovanija & Teusland. They now placed third following 1 win from 3 encounters, scoring just 1 point from a possible 3 but are ahead of Stephan Renhirsch/Geira Sveinnsdottir, Ludolf Hibbert/Raquel Jansen and Peter Bauer/ Alice Schwarz who are drawn on points but due to point difference of -1, the Maplish pair sat ahead of them.

In the Luge, men's individual event, Andrew Stone finished with a combined time of 1:44.246, currently sitting in 21st spot after Runs 1 and 2. Felix Stewart sits in 57th clocking 1:45.602 while Laurence Peters is currently seated at 91st which happens to be the bottom of the pack, with a finish time of 2:48.893, currently the slowest of the pack.

In the Figure skating - Team event, ice dancing short dance, Mapletish scored 72.86 points and finished with 21 points to add to their tally. In the ladies short program, the Maplish side scored 70.17 points and added another 19 points to the total as they accumulated 87 points, although still well behind New Waldensia with 101 points, the Maplish side rounded up the top 10 list to continue to pairs free skating. In the pairs skating event, the Maplish side scored 140.68 points to clock another 9 points, 1 less than New Waldensia who finished ahead with 141.33 points and accumulated 10 points as a result. Current standings show the Maplish team far behind from New Waldensia.

M-SP	P-SP	D-SD	L-SP	P-FS	Total
1 New Waldensia (NWD) 24 25 26 26 10 111
2 Mapletish (MAP) 23 24 21 19 9 96
3 Xuande-Xiophoi (XXO) 18 23 19 25 5 90

In the preliminaries of the Men's 1500m short track event, Raul Higgins finished top of his preliminaries group with a timing of 2:13.189 to qualify for the quarter finals. Similarly, teammates Jacob Walters finished 2:17.187 to round up his group's last qualification spot while Jordan thompson finished 2nd with a timing of 2:15.753 in his group to qualify for the quarter finals. In the quarter-finals, only Raul Higgins managed to advanced as he finish 2:12.490 and finished 2nd behind Issac George from Northwest Kalactin. Teammates Jacob Walters and Jordan Thompson failed to qualify as they timed 2:15.912 and 2:45.746 respectively. In the semi-finals, Raul Higgins was unable to replicate his good form as he finished bottom of his semi-finals group which contained the lights of Issac George once again from his quarter finals group. However he would only finish 2:16.461 to round up bottom. The goal medal was eventually taken by Lance Coppeler from Nurkama.

In the Women's 3000m speed skating event Bertha Dennis finished 30th with a timing of 4:13.03 well short of the 4:02.14 timing attained by Margot Hardanger from Saint-Domingues who won gold. Fellow teammates Anita Hawkins finished 61st with a timing of 4:18.07 while Olivia Huff finished 73rd with a timing of 4:19.77.

In the cross country skiing, women's 15km skiathlon event, the Maplish representatives failed to threaten the pack at all. The event was won by Sarah Fuller from Cassadaigua who finished 40:57.5, well ahead of Bethany Rogers who finished 43:14.0 which saw her attained 23rd place, the highest place for the Maplish tem in the event. Johanna Grant would finish in 62nd with a timing of 46:12.0 while Mandy Obrien did not finish the race.

In the freestyle skiing - men's Moguls, Charlie Richards scored 24.096 points to finish in 19th place, while fellow teammates Oliver Dunn finished joint 28th with Marco Dufour-Lessard, scoring 23.72 points. Orville Bowman finished 52nd with 21.83 points. In qualifying 2, Oliver Dunn finished 5th with 24.82 points while Charlie Richards and Orville Bowman scored 23.50 points and 18.78 points respectively, finishing outside of the top 10 spots for the finals.

In Ski jumping - Men's Individual Normal Hill finals, Jacob Jensen clocked the 9th place with 257.5 points although it was not enough to allow him a podium spot with Amzore Tileafa clocking 267.0 points to win gold. Edmund Singleton finished 15th with a score of 251.5 points. While Terrell Salazar and Ricardo Huff both clocked a jump each with 115.5 points and 110.0 points respectively.

In the qualification rounds of the Snowboarding - Men's slopestyle event, none of the Maplish representative secure a finals slot as Edwar Snyder came the closest finishing with 76.64 points, while teammates Randy Chandler scored 75.57 points, while Ross Gonzalez finished with a mere 56.24 points and Lonnie Salazar rounded up with 47.24 points. After Day 1, the Maplish representatives have yet to medal.
Last edited by Mapletish on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:37 am

SHORT TRACK: An's agony in 1500m final

An Cho-Jin narrowly missed out on a medal in the first day proper as the action got underway in the nation's favourite winter sport. The Emberton skater, 25, had got through to the final earlier in the afternoon after finishing a close second behind Northwest Kalactin's Issac George in the semi-finals. In the final, with the front two having a bit of daylight going into the final turn, An and George again found themselves doing battle; sadly for the Krytenian, George carried his momentum just that little bit better and beat out An to the line by just under two tenths of a second to claim a deserved bronze.

Tomorrow sees the women get underway in the 500m event, with Irene Silversmith, Karen Webster, and Paula Valka all hoping to make their mark.

CURLING: All to play for in pairs competition

Group C of the pairs curling competition is balanced on a knife-edge after four rounds, with five of the eight twosomes having a 3-1 record. The Krytenian duo of Andy Safinovic and Maria Redmayne are among those in the hunt after recording victories in both of their games. After defeating the Mumambas of the Vilitan Cove in their morning game, Safinovic and Redmayne made it three wins on the spin with a victory over the Diarcesan pair of Fiw Hekkisukiw and Wídwyn Heron which was more comfortable than the scoreline suggested, the Krytenians one up with the hammer after nine, and spending that end clearing house before landing the last for an 8-6 victory. Only one of the Krytenian pair's remaining three games are against couples on more than one, and they are confident of their chances of reaching the knockouts.

SKI JUMPING: Go fly a Kightley

Don't look now, but there may be a new hero in the making. Adam Kightley, not even yet out of his teens, not only qualified for the final but gave it a proper go, finishing a highly creditable twenty-fourth. The Leston native, who only took up the sport eighteen months ago, seemed to surprise even himself with a first jump that scored a highly respectable 120 points. This put him into the medal round, and though an actual medal was never on the cards, the fact that he got to rub shoulders and compete as a peer with champions will surely be a confidence booster. And with rumours floating around that the KNOC is considering a bid for the XVI Winter Olympics, he may even get a chance to leap or a medal in front of home fans four years down the line. Wouldn't that be a turn up for the books?

Want to throw yourself off a snowy ramp? Find details of how to try ski jumping and other Winter Olympic sports and get active at www.kbs.kt/sportforall

Watch all the action from Clayquot at www.kbs.kt/smartview
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Hannasea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:16 am

Social media news round-up from the Hannasean Federation.
    Twitcher:

@JaydenMillaaarrrggghhhmyface Really nervous after Ashworth fired up the home crowd on his monster first run.

@AmeliaRyan Savannah Reid battling all the way to the line to claim 60th place and qualify for pursuit shows what a competitor she is! Very proud #TeamGF

@sk8rb0is There it is! @JackSugihara22 lands a quad flip!

@sk8rgrrls amazing transitions by @madi_adi who recovered really well after falling on an underrotated triple loop

@sk8rnonbinarypersons We just hope everyone has a good time. #TeamGF

@JordynBrat sooo excited for tomorrow’s men’s downhill gonna puke i’m so nervous and i’m not even racing!!!

@Ryan_Briggs_HAN Wait – ice hockey? Oh no, there’s been a terrible mistake…

@JaydenMillaaarrrggghhhmyface …Smashed the triple cork on my second, absolutely grinning at making the final!

@ErikaQDavies Has anyone seen my husband?
    MyFace:

Madison Adams
      I’m very disappointed in my performance and I’m really sorry for letting the rest of the team down. Ryan and Alexis completely brought the house down and I just couldn’t follow with the same energy, and lost my edge on the triple loop. But we’re still in the final and if we pull together I know we can challenge for the podium in this very competitive field.
      Kayla Bates and 642,125 others like this.
    InstaSnap:

Charlie Robertson posted a picture.
      @charlotterobertson12 won’t lie that was a very disappointing run just going to go back and rehydrate with some #capracola #teamgf

77,061 people like this.

Harry Young
      race was terribly organized only 2 skaters showed up at start time shambolic

Ethan John
      Don’t worry, keep trying!!

Tegan Kennedy
      kind of weird how that hand appears out of nowhere like it’s been pasted in?

Dylan The 4th wall Breaking Wombat
      ^ yes

Nateros Sill
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nateros Sill » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am

Good evening Comrades, and welcome to another edition of Sports Night! I'm Gary Wilhelmson, and sat beside me is Richard Frenkel.

Yes, well it's been an interesting day over in Clayquot today Gary. There have been several events taking place in the Winter Olympics, and a few medals have been handed out too. Unfortunately for us Gary, we haven't seen anything promising come from Nateros Sill yet.

That's right Richard, we've only seen two Nateros Sillian athletes in action today but both were unfortunately some way short of medalling. In the Men's Moguls, both Leonard Hummel and Anatoly Vinci were out on the slopes, but neither could get through the two rounds of qualifying.

As a reminder to our viewers, the top ten scores from the first qualifying session are automatically entered into the final, while the rest of the field gets a second run. The top ten from that second attempt also go through to the finals.

Well Richard, I think Vinci could have been a bit more daring in the air.

Yes Gary, he didn't do a huge number of tricks and that could have cost him a few points. But don't forget, 60% of your score is on turns, and that stumble early on will have cost him dearly.

As for Hummel, his turns were much crisper, but he also didn't fair too well in the air.

Yes, as he made it to that first jump he did seem to lose concentration for a second, meaning he didn't get as high as he would have liked. You need time to do tricks, and he just didn't have enough of it on that first jump.

Well, let's take a look at the medal table as it stands, and as you can see a few countries doing rather well here Richard.

Yes, Cassadaigua and the Vilitan Union both up there with two medals after day one. Let's see what the rest of the week brings.

In other news......

Waisnor
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Waisnor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 am

From someone from whom they did not expect

Day 1 of 15th Winter Olympic Games ended es expected for Waisnor - country didn't collect any medals. But they still had some reasons to be happy, although for not very long:

Mikhail Latkovich was not considered a favorite in men's 1500 m competitions in short-track even by Waisnorians. However, he decided to show that it was not in vain that he got to these games and to prove that he can fight for victory. From the very beginning of the race, three athletes became leaders - Latkovich, Miikka Salminen from Aboveland and Lance Coppeler from Nurkama. In the first half of the race, Latkovich remained second behind Salminen and tried not to give his place to Coppeler. Mikhail was able to cope with this task, and by the end of the race decided to bypass Miikka and become the leader. Latkovich made a desperate dash and was able to come forward. He was able to hold out as the leader until the end of the race, ahead of Salminen by 0.469 seconds.

Mikhail advanced to the quarterfinals, where, naturally, there was much stronger competition. However, Mikhail did not lose heart and was intent on going further. However, the situation turned out to be much more complicated, and after the start Mikhail turned out to be 7th. After that, he began to overtake his rivals, Alexandru Abel from Unified Panjuven Team and Emil Storberg from Tikariot, and was able to break away from them. However, after that he became only 5th, which was still not enough to get to the semifinals and it was necessary to overtake two more. But Cocoabo #W25 from Cocoabo Forest did not allow himself to be overtaken, as a result of which Mikhail finished the race 5th and dropped out of the competition, but still later than expected of him.

OTHER WAISNORIAN RESULTS
Olga Petrova sadly finished last in women's sprint
Diana Kulagina finished 70th in women's 15km skiathlon
Dmitry Kaluyzhny finished 4th in men's slopestyle qualification, Dmitry Malevsky finished 15th in the same group and Anatoly Shilov finished 14th
Vyacheslav Gorbachev finished 13th in first 2 runs in individual men's luge competitions, Boris Balabanov ended 53rd
81 = 18th/34
82 = 22nd/31
83 = 27th/41
84 = 15th/27
85 = 20th/28
86 = 14th/32
87 = 14th/36
88 = 24th/32
89 = 16th/37
90 = 8th/35
91 = 9th/30
92 = 8th/29