NATION

PASSWORD

XV Olympic Winter Games - RP thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Aboveland » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:59 pm

Kaj's slightly hooded eyes, staring into the crowd behind a pane of bulletproof glass, were darker than they were just a month ago, his eyebrows now dusty, his crow's feet more pronounced. But he sits up sturdier, his shoulders broader, his posture incorruptible. Unlike his predecessor, who'd always used any of her security personel's spare Bic pens, blue or red or green or black or whatever color they were, he reached into his smoky black suit and pulled out his pen, a slim, stainless steel, refillable, click-operated ballpoint. He didn't go as far as to engrave his initials onto its pointed clip, for that would be pretentious. His gaze slowly dropped as his left arm moved towards the page and, in utter silence--while the frigid breeze ruffled his full head of hair and whistled around the contours of the stage on Freedom Square, in central Vankkavalta--laid ink above the dotted line at the bottom margin. Deliberately, he raised the pen before his eyes, clicked it shut, and set it beside the newly-signed constitution. The body of the pen rattled against the varnished pine, twirling with the blow of a piercing late October gust.

As he stood, the crowd began to cheer--not ferociously as sports fans do, but with an underlying tenseness to their celebration. He shuffled towards his right, meeting a podium with an array of microphones well insulated from the wind in the center of the stage; behind him, the Abovian Nordic Cross descended from one flagpole, as a deep blue banner, with a green stripe near its hoist and a rotated four-pointed star on its upper fly, rose adjacent. The billowing winds stretched the banner out so that no element was occluded by the conditions; the daylight made the use of spotlights to illuminate the top of the flagpole unnecessary. He, also, decided against tapping the microphone and playing the feedback for laughs, as his predecessor would have done. In fact, there were no smiles at all that day, as the still destroyed, taped-off facade of Ælunder Raadionyttispalvelu formed the backdrop for the occasion. He didn't even have a scripted speech on the podium before him, the first handful of words he'd say already memorized, the rest at the mercy of his improv talent.

He didn't, actually, know exactly what to say. Something about "ushering in a new era" for the Union to start, for sure, but he wanted to avoid at all costs the vice of curling oneself up into the bottomless spiral of calling for "unity", "peace", "understanding", or whatever. Not only was it weak and predictable, but it wasn't what he wanted--crucially, there wasn't enough evidence to back any claim he could want to make, at least not regarding the bombings, the disappearances, or the conveniently surfacing scandals.

For now, all he knew he had to do was to vow to be the president Kaisla Saari had promised she'd be the first place. Yes, that sounded like it'd work. He mustn't go off on a tangent, but he had to say it, how the freedom-loving, kind-spirited leader in Saari had been betrayed by the diplomacy, or lack thereof, of her dear Aboveland during her tenure, how her actions so fundamentally disagreed with her so-called principles. How her reckless wars in the name of "peace and stability" had put Aboveland in the position it now found itself in.

Surely with those kinds of words he'd build some semblance of a safety buffer.

Sami rests his back on the bench, closes his eyes, and lets his head fall back, swooning around as he lets the darkness disorient him. While the dizziness takes over, the soft violin intro plucks his soul out of the olympic village. Rafael, of the ice skating team, had recommended it to him, as it was the song he'd rather ambitiously chosen for his short program routine, though he hadn't realized he already knew the song quite well. He pretends the song is a far more colossal piece of music than it has any right to be; pop or not, its intro is immaculate, even if he rarely tells anyone he thinks as much, and its enough to momentarily transport him to his realm of hopes, of wishes, and of desires. Not quite letting himself soar in his fantasies, he relaxes his shoulders, and mouths its opening verses. He doesn't focus too strongly on the lyrics, more so on the imagery, both lyrical and literal, scenes of the official music video flashing in his head; he sighs, too, and then takes a deeper breath as the pre-chorus begins to build.

Clumsily, with his phone in his hands between his knees, he accidentally skips to the next song. Though he clicks his tongue in discontent, he doesn't go back; the next song darkens his mood, but it captivates him, and with its first lines he opens his eyes again and sits up straight, staring blankly at the plaza before him. On this one, he does focus on the lyrics; he's only heard it a handful of times, but the meaning isn't lost on him. He mouths this one, too, at first patiently and slowly, then picking up the pace as the song builds.

Hearing approaching footsteps, he glances to his right, and out of the dark exterior hallway of one of the olympic village buildings emerges Emi, smiling cheerfully, dressed in her thin blue winter coat, pin-less. The song continues, with Sami still mouthing the lyrics through a greeting grin as the pre-chorus begins with the bouncy imperativeness of a ride on horseback, when unexpectedly a taller frame looms from behind the approaching Nykipik. He's wearing a knit hat for once--just like his--instead of braving the elements to forgo using an accessory with the Abovian flag on it. His hands are thrust heavily in the pockets of his coat, the same as his, too, though with thicker padding--no, wait, he thinks as he frowns, that's not thicker padding, it's a thicker filling: broader shoulders, squarer torso, just slightly, not ridiculously, fuller arms, and a more pronounced back, and that's just above the waist. And as he approaches, his height appears more evident; he's just a few inches taller than him, so it's not such a huge difference, but it looks so much more imposing on him--which, sure, maybe it's the constantly mean face or thick, mysterious demeanor, but whatever it is, it's... there, for sure.

But his awe is cut short, as Emi arrives beside him and Kuldar, lagging behind just a little (despite his long legs) with an uncharacteristically kind gaze, does too. Mid chorus, he yanks off his earbuds, and snaps back into the moment.

"Hyy!" Emi says in her native Nykipik. "Ready to go?"

Sami chuckles, directing his reply specifically at her, avoiding any brush of his field of view with Kuldar, just in case. "Hell yeah, since"--he checks the time on his phone as he stands and stretches out his jogging pants--"like, fifteen minutes ago."

"Great!" exclaims Emi, bringing both her hands close to her face in excitement. "So... Clayquot Fort today?"

"I thought we were going to the NeXT Museum?"

Emi shakes her head. "Not today, Sami." She stops short of rolling her eyes, more so because of her need to mold the day trip to her activities. "I'm skating tomorrow, remember?"

Sami nods with a long hum of realization.

"Yeah," she reaffirms. "But we can go on Monday! We're all free then."

"Sure," replies Sami, but quickly frowns. "Wait, we all?"

Emi's mouth opens, as if she's forgotten to mention some important detail. "Oh," she begins, turning and stepping aside to reveal a hardly concealed, suddenly friendly looking Kuldar. "He decided he wanted to tag along, if that's okay."

What could Sami possibly say to that? No? Of course not!

"Of course!" he exclaims at Emi, trying a little hard to sound friendly and a little harder to sound composed, before turning to the taller Nykipik, his gaze aiming above his chin. "Hey," he shoots him, somewhat unintentionally coldly, which Kuldar returns the same.

A short silence ensues, Emi stuck in the middle of a soft staring contest, when she finally breaks the silence. "Well, follow me," she speaks, gleefully and proud of her sense of direction. "I've already memorized the metro network. It's not so hard!"

She takes the lead of the squad with a long forwards stride, leading the trio out of the complex to the street.

"Oh," she says, turning around and pacing backwards to not halt the walk. She also sticks a finger out before continuing. "I have to be back by four-ish"--she shakes her hand--"some last training prep to do."

"Sure," nods Sami. "Maybe I should hit the gym too."

"Me too," mutters Kuldar, in accented, but easily understandable, Abovian. "I'm not up for a few days, but--"

"Better to start early, hey," Sami interrupts, smirking. The two exchange a look; emotive and complex in Sami's eyes, cold but affirmative in Kuldar's. "Maybe I can give you some training tips?"
Last edited by Aboveland on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:01 pm

RP cutoff. Day 8 results.

Also a note that I missed an Olympic record set earlier in the qualifying of short track women's 1500m by Ilka Sohlberg (ABL).
I've also rechecked the medals from yesterday, let me know in the OOC thread if your count does not seem right.
Last edited by Kelssek on Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:36 pm

Translated from the original Spanish

To: julhernandez657@telmedros.srt
Sent: 1 Feb, 2021 05:34

My Dearest Julia,

I have missed you dearly these past few weeks. I know I keep repeating myself, but it is true. You are my lantern in a storm. Three days between training for weeks in Neu Engollon, to flying back to Western Madurin and out of Paritte to Clayquot, was not enough time to catch up and soak in every bit of you that I could.

I wonder if you will stay true to me, even though it will just be a few more days until we are reunited. All the time before those 3 days, I wondered. I wonder if you watch me on the TV - on the broadcasts on NETV and MSR and brag to your family and friends. I wonder if you think of me as much as I think of you.

I’m so tired of being cold. Everywhere, from Northern Madurin to Kelssek, it is nothing but frigid weather - sweaters and thermals and wool, balaclavas, layered, lined boots, and thick high tech fiber gloves to keep warm. It is not natural for us San Rositans to have to function in this way. I miss the tropical heat like you wouldn’t believe.

I would even go back to that day we walked through the gardens by your house and that trogon pooped on my head. I would get pooped on ten times to be home with you right now.

But...I also do want to be here and finish competing in my events. I have one left. I know you already know that. Parallel Slalom. I did not do so well in the Cross event. I had hoped to do better than 59th. I did not qualify to go on to the final runs. I know that the odds were against me, a young, grubby boy from the San Alejandro hills to come all the way here and defy the odds against a bunch of blond supermen, but...one can hope. In the end that is all we get.

So, I hope to do better in the slalom. Before a year ago, I didn’t even know what that word meant. A San Rositan hopes to punt a ball into a goal in a championship game as his highest achievement, not ski fast between a bunch of poles.

I have to thank the Colonel for that, for introducing me to the people who could make me a world class skier in a land where most of my countrymen and women will never see a snowflake in their lifetimes. He is such a strong, knowledgeable man who is always there for us San Rositans in the delegation. He gets us anything we might need, even if it’s just a short coaching and a few positive words, or a chocolate bar. Yes, there are other staff to do that, but he never sees it as beneath himself to do something so trivial. Nothing is trivial to him in his duty to support us.

Colonel Villalobos is a great and kind man, but I see how they treat him here, all the other sports officials and Ministers treat him like a joke. The lower support staff talk about it like we don’t understand what they’re saying, but we know. We don’t get mad, we just become more determined to prove them wrong. We do it for the Colonel, we do it for the Republic, but we also do it for us.

I do what I do for you my dear, and for us to have a better life. I know that you think that better life is not in the Republic, but I think you are wrong. I see us having a comfortable villa in the hills over Puerto Cristal. I think that our possibilities are better in the country where we can accomplish more and be respected, instead of just be hated immigrants in a country like Gaul or Neu Engollon, even the Roman Federated States.

I hope to call and hear your voice tomorrow, and I’m sure all this could wait until then, but I don’t think I could ever express all this in a call. I love you with all my heart and being. My light, my life, My Julia.

Your Mateo.

RP courtesy of San Rosito

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:38 pm

The Diarcesian women's curling game for Match Day five was a lopsided 6-2 win over Benjamin Mark, then at a 2-2 record in Group D. This one and a MD6 win against Mytanija moved the team to the middle of the group Dleaderboard. Though they are down, they are not out just yet: a couple more wins in MDs 7-8 could punch them a ticket in the round of 16.

"There is a silver lining about our consecutive wins," said Orinthy O'Shea, one of the curlers in the team. "These games are tough. We think we did well to stay in the battle so far. Also, the fact that we are 3-3 puts us in a somewhat less precarious position to advance. You have to start somewhere, and you can't overextend yourself. One has to pick and choose her battles."

The lady curlers will now prepare for the next match days, which will most certainly decide if they will continue to stay in the Olympics and potentially have a medal.

In the meantime, the team recently was found playing Worldvision Song Contest for the first time in their spare schedule. Here are the results:

Highest Scores
1. Orinthy O'Shea
2. Gwenivere Barbosa
3. Leah Rivera
4. Ildi Ferguson
5. Bethan Johnsdaughter

Cross-country skiing - Women's 4×5 km Relay
2 Galya Knutsdottir/Jingyi Cheung/Gerd Enger/Gjertrud Tastad (DCS)                             55:30.4  SILVER

Gjertrud Tastad's Diary Entry
[Prior entries chronicle her activities and detail particular strategies on how to tackle her leg of the relay]

Had breakfast at the Olympic village and took a short hike outside. It was a clear, nice day. The early morning sky was a light golden orange with a hint of clouds cast here and there. Coronet Park is incredible. I picture myself staying here for a while surrounded by my friends, asking me to join for a drink or a snack. I sure miss it. Diarcesia has none of those and only got to something similar only during training in Mytanija.

As for the relay itself? Not gonna lie, even we ourselves have doubts. Of the underdogs, we are one of the underdogs among the underdogs. I was massively surprised when Gerd Enger (by the way, turns out she used to live a few towns a way from where I grew up) in the third leg was among the front! Fourth! Perhaps our training was not too far off from the actual race. In fact, the Mytanar competitor was just right ahead of Gerd. I owed it to them not to screw this up.

The Mytanar in question, Elizabeta Milonic, exchanged with Ifeta Avdic so the latter can complete the final leg. I started pushing my skis shortly after Ifeta did. Gerd was fast approaching. My time to prove myself had come. So far so good, my start was fast. I could keep up with Ifeta. Some parts of the park are physically demanding and I used all my strength and motivation to push my skis and sticks and keep myself going.

An almost-disaster was averted that would put us out of medal contention. One thing led to another, and in one of the downhill slopes, I happened to be faster than Ifeta and - YES - I overtook her! Not only that, but I also shot past Tikariot's Maria Eivero for second. I couldn't believe it when everything was over.

Silver medal. Absolutely no one saw that coming. That's all thanks to Galya, Jingyi, and Gerd. Not to mention the Mytanars who graciously offered their venue for us to train.

We arrived in the Olympic village earlier than usual. That the day is eventful is understatement. Our coach was ecstatic all the way. Diarcesia had quite the dry spell so far, and we broke it. It's not a gold, but us taking silver will be considered a massive achievement in our country. I will not take this for granted.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Augusticinia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Augusticinia » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:51 am

Bolshoi and Su make Free Skate

Augusticinian olympic hopes have returned with the elite figure skaters Leonid Bolshoi and Damian Su making the top 24 of the Short Program, and qualifying for the free skate round. Leonid Bolshoi, a veteran skater of Augusticinia, following a near medal run in the paired event, placed 15th, while Damian Su a younger, up-and-coming talent, placed 7th with an emotional rendition to the 3rd Schubert Impromptu in Gb major. Bolshoi's dynamic, and leap heavy performance of Mambo that peaked at a Quadruple Lutz. While Bolshoi's technical score was high, his interpretation led a bit lower than his peers. After recieving his score, Bolshoi commented "It's not my best, but I'm happy with it. I don't think anything could've gone better, and now I've got to work even harder for the Free Skate." Su's performance was more markedly understated with a strong emphasis on what he calls "phrasing on ice" with graceful and simple movements followed by brief technical combinations. The "phrase" that gained the most applause was a unique series of a sit spin, camel spin, led out with a butterfly. Moments like these perfectly encapsulated Su's high combination of technical and interpretation score. Men's coach Winston Rademaker commented at the end of the event, "We're all ecstatic for Damian, he has a lot of potential, and his hard work is really starting to pay off. That being said, it all comes down to the wire on the Free Skate, but I know Damian, and even Leonid can take it."

Srednjaci
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

DAY 9 on Olympics

Postby Srednjaci » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 am

WORLD ARENA SPORT - CHANEL 1

REPORTER IVAN JURLINA :
Dear viewers, good day to you.
new Olympic thrills are ahead of us and we also have our representatives today.
With us in the studio are Ana Turkulja, bronze in ski jumping and Robert Lima, former champion of our country in ski jumping and coach of the young men's national team.
Welcome .

Ana / Robert: Thank you and good afternoon everyone.

REPORTER: Ana, we'll start with you, great result.
Let's just repeat who didn't watch, read or who fell from Mars hahaha Ana Turkulja third and Ana Tea Lozančić fourth at the Olympics.
Here we repeated even though that information literally popped out of the pate.
Ana, what is the atmosphere like in the national team?

ANA: The atmosphere is great, we know the guys can get a medal. Ivan was fourth on Normal Hill and certainly looking for his chance.
Darinko is the champion of our country on Large Hill and he is looking for his proof.
Mostly guys feel good.

REPORTER: To make it clear to the spectators, Salazar Nagyovy and Ratko Ložunić unfortunately did not qualify for the top 50.

ANA: yes, the two of them are a little disappointed but it’s a sport, a bad day and you’re gone.

REPORTER: Do you follow other events at the Olympic Games?

ANA: oh yes, I follow, I like to watch hockey and biathlon ...

REPORTER: when we are at the bialon girls compete in the 12.5 km mass start, what do you think about that race?

ANA: It will be interesting, our national team has not been lucky so far because the virus has been raging for several days. The Mandarić sisters are the backbone of the national team and I hope they have recovered.

REPORTER: Robert, tell me your opinion about our ski jumpers.

ROBERT: Darinko Bučić is extremely high quality and he is really an extraordinary jumper and in his legs, I will not be modest, he has gold. We will see today whether he will show it.
Ivan missed out on a medal at Normal Hill, I don't think if he jumps at that level he will miss out on a medal today.

REPORTER: Let it be as you said, we really lack gold. What is the situation in the younger age groups?

ROBERT: It works very well, I train the boys so I will talk about the boys. We have some names here, young names of 14 and 15 who are great for their age. They show great progress from month to month. The ski association injected a big money injection and we signed a 3-year contract with a big sponsor, so we solved the situation from that side and the children only have to train and they do it very well.

REPORTER: so we don't worry about the future haha

ROBERT: we don't worry, we have a great young team so it will be on the big stage in the future.

REPORTER: Do you follow other sports?

ROBERT: Yes of course, hockey and curling.
I have to admit that host Kelssek and Clayquot organized the best games I’ve watched or been to.

REPORTER: I absolutely agree with you.
Dear guests, thank you for coming to the studio and we once again take a look at the schedule today, what awaits us at the Olympics.

Day 9 - 2 Feb
Biathlon - Women's 12.5 km Mass Start - [medal]
Skeleton - Women's - Runs 1 and 2
Figure skating - Men's Individual - free program [medal]
Ice hockey - Men's - MD4
Ice hockey - Women's - MD4
Freestyle skiing - Women's Slopestyle - final [medal]
Ski jumping - Men's Individual Large Hill - [medal]
Short track - Women's 3 000 m Relay - qualification
Bandy - Women's - MD 1
Curling - Men's - MD 7-8
Curling - Women's - MD 7-8
Last edited by Srednjaci on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby West Phoenicia » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:28 am

WP||The West Phoenicia Times

Sports || Health || Technology || Gossip || Domestic Politics || International Politics || Entertainment || World || Religion || Weather

Harrison Uten-Independent Journalist

The Diversity Council of West Phoenicia has given the West Phoenician Winter delegation a tick of approval for its professionalism and support of diversity.

The organisation is an independent, not-for-profit peak body leading diversity and inclusion in all West Phoenicia places of work.
Diversity Council West Phoenicia provides research which helps to inspire events and programs to showcase the diversity of the nation while addressing areas for improvement.

Dolores Gallagher, Chief Executive Officer for the last 5 years spoke on behalf of the members of the Diversity Council of West Phoenicia.
The council applauds the amazing achievements in diversity across the sporting industry.
Dolores who claims heritage from "The People of the Jagged River" a tribe of the Deserti people; one of the five original indigenous groups who settled in West Phoenicia between 7000 to 8000 years ago said during a recent interview;

"The West Phoenician Olympic Committee and the Institute of Sport continue to lead the way in multiple areas of diversity. Every delegation which has attended an Olympic Games continues to outdo the delegation before them. We as a council and as a nation thank the Summer and Winter athletes for all their hard work and the Committees behind them which have ensured citizens from most walks of life are represented.

The West Phoenician Olympic Committee has always strongly supported Gender inclusion. From the debut delegation sent, they have embraced equal representation. As long as an athlete can meet the qualification standards, the nation has not had any reason to hold them back.
Once they hit the Olympic hosting nation, they are on their own when competing, so one cannot look at the overall record of medals won and scream inequality, if the numbers are different for male and female winners.
Observing medals won, it has been evenly spread between both genders, showing both genders receive the same access to training facilities, coaches and support.

Aside from gender, West Phoenicia made leaps and bounds in areas of social-economic class, religious and cultural diversity, age, sexual orientation racial diversity and disability (With athletes attending The Orean 1st Summer Paralympics and the II Winter Paralympics Olympics-Neverend in Liventia.)

In the category of social-economic class for the Winter Olympics delegation.
50% of athletes cite coming from an upper wealthy background. 40% stated they grew up in a middle-class home, while 10% cited growing up in a low-income household.
While 10% may seem a dismal amount, the number has crept up, with the Institute of Sport and similar institutions, offering reduced fees for training programs, full and partial scholarships to study and train at the Institute of Sport, and sponsorships.
These options allow scouts more incentives to seek out talent in rural and low-income suburbs and provinces, offering people chances to train professionally, which was not always an option.
Phoenix Chambers, a swimmer who pulled in bronze at the XIV Summer Games is one of those athletes who benefited from a scholarship and is not ashamed to talk about it.

While there is not a clean percentage for members of the LGBTQIA+ due to privacy and many athletes wishing to keep their sexuality to themselves. 10% did confirm they are a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, 2 members stated they were polygamous and 1 embraced Polyandry. While people can embrace the sexual orientation that identifies them, having representation of those groups in sports, helps the next generation understand themselves better and lets them observe someone of their orientation participating in sports and representing their nation on the world front. It is especially encouraging for up and coming LGBTQIA+ athlete's to know they are not alone, and they are accepted as part of the sporting community.

The 2019 census found throughout West Phoenicia;
-79% True Path Faith
-13% United Pagan Faiths
-4.0% Independent Christian Denominations
-1.6% Independent Paganism & Wiccan
-0.5% Hinduism
-0.4% Judaism
-0.4% Buddhism
-0.3% Shintoism
-0.2% Sikhism
-0.1% Confucianism
-0.1% Taoism
-2.4% Other approved Faith

Some will argue it is not a fair reflection due to at least 7 faiths not listed are currently banned by the Ministry of Faith, which if included may change a lot of the current statistics. Banned religions are not something we will discuss here. However, for the current Winter Games and past Summer Games, all approved religions were represented. The Truth Path Faith and
United Pagan Faiths having the most athletes attending, however, it hasn't stopped other approved faiths from participating.
In these Winter Games alone, Karma Singh who won bronze in the -Snowboarding - Men's Halfpipe claims to be Sikh, Rose Nakasata who claimed silver in the Speed skating - Women's 1 000 m practises Shintoism and gold medalist Batuhan Sapi of the Alpine skiing - Men's Super-G event is a Buddhist.
West Phoenicia currently sits at 9 medals, so with three having religious beliefs differing from the big religions, it's a pretty big deal.

The last diversity example I wish to discuss is Racial diversity. West Phoenicia is very tough in regards to immigration and the process can be perceived as quite long and tedious.

People emigrating to West Phoenicia first need to apply for a temporary stay visa that is valid for 12 months and costs $1000.
After 12 months of continued residing in West Phoenicia, one must supply three sponsors; one that can guarantee the immigrant employment and the other two sponsors who report on your good behaviour; a permanent residency visa is granted.
The PR visa is valid for 5 years at a cost of $10,000 per adult.
After 5 years, a Permanent Resident can apply for citizenship.

Those looking to become citizens are required to take two tests, a written test and an oral test. They must have a combined pass rate of 80%. A failure results in a one year wait before the next attempt.
Those who are successful are assigned a swearing-in citizenship ceremony where they are awarded a certificate and swear loyalty to West Phoenicia and The royal family.
West Phoenicia does not accept dual citizenship. a person must renounce their prior citizenship to become a West Phoenician citizen.

While harsh, the process hasn't stopped hundreds of thousands flocking to West Phoenicia for a better life.
Immigration has helped shaped sports, especially in areas for years where the nation was lacking. it has helped West Phoenicia build a better and stronger portfolio of athletes and sports stars to represent the nation; both home and internationally.
A whopping 35% of Winter Olympic athletes are first-generation West Phoenicians. The previous Summer Games, the percentage was around the same figure.
So in areas of racial and cultural diversity, West Phoenicia has stepped out, given thousands upon thousands of people a new home and identity and in return, their children have embraced the West Phoenician spirit and have stood proud in representing the nation. That's not to say racism is extinct in West Phoenicia, it just shows it is not welcome in the sporting industry and people whose parents were not born in West Phoenicia are not disadvantaged in getting a leg up in the sporting world.

All in all, The Diversity Council of West Phoenicia and I included, and I believe many of you reading this article, can say with pride, we are elated with the way West Phoenicia is trekking with diversity. And it's a wonderful experience to be a part of such a multicultural nation.

Now come on West Phoenicia, get out there and win more medals!!!

Waisnor
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Waisnor » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:12 am

And yet another silver medal

Day 8 of the Winter Olympics brought third silver medal to Waisnor, but if it didn't happen, this would be pretty mediocre day for Waisnorian athletes:

Faina Orekhova, who was participating in alpine skiing women's Super-G, is considered a pretty strong slalomist, she already had good performances in various tournaments. However, this Olympics is a completely different level of competition and Faina needed to show everything that she was capable of in order to show a good result.
At the beginning of this race, Karen Mells from West Phoenicia showed her superiority over all other rivals, slaloming almost unmistakably. The gap between her and the others was very large by the standards of this sport and it was quite easy to take second place. But Orekhova looked as if she intended to take only gold.
At the beginning of her descent, she showed very good acceleration and after the second intermediate mark she even overtook Mells. But towards the end, Faina began to show minor problems with the track and she lost such a precious time after the third intermediate mark. The situation was able to stabilize a little towards the finish line, but in order to overtake Karen, this was not enough.
As a result, Faina became 2nd with a time of 1:20.29, losing only 0.06 seconds to Karen Mells.

Another person with many hopes for the medals, Polina Khripach in shore track women's 1500m competitions, looked very strong after the first two qualifying rounds, when she went to the next stage without much effort. But in the next two stages, she had to sweat.
In the quarterfinals she met with quite formidable rivals, however, she made it clear before this race in an interview that she would find a way to somehow cope with them. And at the beginning of the race, her words were justified - Polina and three other rivals walked very close to each other and each tried to take advantage. Over time Kylie Jacobs from Liventia and Eve Melrose from West Phoenicia came forward, so that now Khripach fought for the passage further with Ernestina Ávila from Valanora.
Polina was able to get around Ernestina a little, but she did not give up trying to overtake Khripach, so Polina had to try hard to finish third and advance to the next round.
In the semifinals, the company was no less difficult, and in it Polina immediately began to lose positions. Now she fought for a spot in the final with Paula Valka from Krytenia, however, she was now clearly losing. When Polina tried to get around Paula, she did something that the judge took for trying to interfere with her opponent.After the finish and a conversation between Khripach and the judge, the first one was disqualified.

OTHER WAISNORIAN RESULTS
Nikolay Gnedko placed 75th in figure skating men's individual short program
Boris Koshelev placed 25th in cross-country skiing men's 15km freestyle, Pyotr Biryukov placed 38th, Mikhail Gorokh placed 46th
Waisnorian men's curling team lost to Tikariot 3-6 and won over Benjamin Mark 5-4
Another Waisnorian athlete in women's Super-G competitions, Raisa Kachamovich, placed 69th
Renat Chernetsky placed 10th in the first qualification round of freestyle skiing men's aerials competitions and 30th in the second round
Alevtina Lazarenok finished 61st in women's snowboard cross qualification round
81 = 18th/34
82 = 22nd/31
83 = 27th/41
84 = 15th/27
85 = 20th/28
86 = 14th/32
87 = 14th/36
88 = 24th/32
89 = 16th/37
90 = 8th/35
91 = 9th/30
92 = 8th/29
93 = 4th/25
94 = 14th/28
95 = 15th/27
96 = 8th/34
97 = 6th/25
98 = 23rd/31
99 = 6th/38
100 = 12th/51
101 = 24th/32
102 = 10th/30
103 = 2nd/26
104 = 11th/26
105 = 6th/31
106 = 5th/25
107 = 21st/37
108 = 9th/32
109 = 11th/21
110 = 14th/27
111 = 5th/29
112 = 7th/25

51 = 10th/20
52 = 19th/24
53 = 11th in the semifinal/33

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:51 am

Græntfjallers brute force their way into medals

If there’s one quality that hasn’t generally been associated with Græntfjall’s forays into international sport, it’s subtlety. ‘Big Fucking Græntfjallers’ have stomped their way into a certain niche position in world football, the Ice Wolves have scored more bone-breaking hits on opponents than goals in their World Cup of Hockey ventures, and the national basketball team are gearing up for another IBC after their unexpected appearance in the playoffs of the last edition on home courts, their good run more a credit to hustling defense and relentless rebounding than any particular proficiency with ball in hand. And the story has continued here at the Winter Olympics in Clayquot, with the burly Vera Arthursdóttir admitting to having “basically shithoused” her way onto the medals podium of the Women’s Super-G ahead of technically superior rivals.

Both of Græntfjall’s alpine skiing medals – welcome relief after a terrible start to the most eagerly awaited sport – have come in the super-G, traditionally regarded as the discipline most suited to aggressive skiers pushing tight lines to marry speed and technique. Neither Arthursdóttir nor men’s bronze medallist Birger Christophsson are regarded as the most technically accomplished of Græntfjall’s skiers in Clayquot, but both found success by dispensing with finesse and putting their big-bodied frames – Arthursdóttir, at 5’11”, is particularly tall for a female skier – into attacking the course.

Christophsson suggested the Entauren course is not particularly technical. “It’s been good racing conditions and the lines are pretty clear,” he said. “In different conditions it might reward crisper racing but I just went out and went full berserker.” Arthursdóttir agreed that the course suited aggressive skiing. “The snow is nice and fast, so you don’t need to hit every turn in perfect form to maintain your speed.” While other Græntfjaller skiers have disappointed, the two backed their approach as the most likely to get results. “I think you just need to clear your mind and kind of ‘press F’,” she said, referring to the wildly popular retro video game SkiFræ.

The brute force tactic that most obviously paid off, however, came not on the ski slopes, but in the wholly unexpected venue of the Partisans Arena. Figure skating does not have a strong tradition in Græntfjall despite the wintry climate, a situation blamed by some on the popularity of ballet drawing away those who might otherwise put their dancing talents to use on ice, but a Græntfjaller is atop the standings after the men’s short program. Þjóðvarður Henriksson is almost 3 points ahead of the rest of the field, the only man to break 100, and the reception to his routine has sharply divided the Olympic Village.

“It’s a disgrace,” said Hannasean skater Ethan Zhang.* “Skaters like Henriksson are turning what’s meant to be an aesthetic discipline into an arms race.” Reviving a long-standing debate,** Henriksson’s routine featured no fewer than two quadruple jumps including a tricky quad loop; by contrast, he scored relatively modestly on artistic elements. “It shouldn’t just be a contest to see who can overpower the judges with the most rotations,” complained Zhang, whose graceful, ballet-influenced routine contained only triples and consequently “sucked”, according to Henriksson (and the judges). By contrast, Græntfjaller national figure skating team coach Friðlaugur Vélaugsson defended Henriksson’s routine. “By including these technically difficult jumps, he is taking more risks, so it’s only fair he earns more rewards when they come off, as they did in last night’s fantastic performance.” Kamdyr skater Deahppán Rehn also qualified for the final with a more orthodox program mixing power, with a quad flip, and artistry, with high marks for his yak-spin.***

* Yes, this is puppetwank.
** Yes, this is metagamingwank.
*** It’s too cold for camels in Græntfjall.

Also in the paper:
  • NEWS: Coalition agrees on security bill, criticized by privacy campaigners
  • BUSINESS: Unclear future for new airport as protestors win legal battle
  • SCIENCE: Large Array begins scanning deep space for signs of ‘star death spirals’
  • CULTURE: Snowfall dampens spirits at jazz festival
  • SPORT: Copa Rushmori finals bid success a welcome boost after struggling IFCF season
Last edited by Graintfjall on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:15 am

Olympic Night in Banija

Moses Wadada: "Well, some Banijan athletes are getting ever closer to a medal... But our struggles continue continue here in Clayquot. We didn't send that big of a delegation here, of course. There was always a risk that we come away from this whole experience without a single medal to our name. But... it's a disappointing feeling for Banijan winter sports fans, and a disappointing feeling for the Olympic Committee, don't you think?

Taddeo Besigye: "Absolutely Moses. You know, we had some close calls yesterday. Let's look at snowboarding- the women's Snowboard cross competition, to be precise. There were 105 athletes in that competition. A whole lot of rounds happening, but any competition with 105 contestants and only three possible medals is going to be extremely tough. And Persinna Assi, our athlete in the competition, did quite well, all things considering. She's from Askatasuna, and she in particular performed well. She was top 48 in the first round to qualify for the next round. She got third in her heat in the Eighth-Finals, and actually won her heat in the Quarterfinals."

Moses Wadada: "Yes, her performance was very confidence inspiring. Her quarterfinal run, in particular, was excellent. She did a good job throughout that competition of improving across every single round. Remember, she only placed 32nd during Qualification. She qualified with plenty of room to spare, but at that point, you wouldn't have really considered her a contender to medal. She did a good job of not peaking in the beginning, and giving herself room to put more and more of herself into each round, and to keep improving as the pressure rose."

Taddeo Besigye: "Unfortunately, despite her best efforts, she did peak too early. She peaked in the Quarterfinals- winning her heat was excellent, but her performance was not up to par in the Semifinals. She was fifth in her heat in the Semifinals, and fifth in the small final. Once again- good enough to get there, but when the brightest lights shone, simply not good enough. Still- she's one of the closest individual athletes Banija has to medaling so far at these Games."

Moses Wadada: "Well, you know, even though she had a confidence-inspiring performance, she was not the only Banijan to come close to medaling. Let's give some focus to the 4x5 km women's relay cross-country skiing team. The odds heavily stacked against them. But the team came out and performance extremely well. They finished 5th out of the 26 teams competing- almost a medal. An excellent performance by them. Not quite good enough, not quite where they want to be, but once again, getting close.

Taddeo Besigye: "Well, it leaves some questions for the Olympic Committee. The goal, although unofficial, was fairly clear- they thought that we could at least double our total Winter medal count. John Nampoza has his medal of course, and we won three at the last Winter Olympiad. That's four all-time. We thought we could get 5 here in Clayquot. But do we really have a chance of getting to that number now? Halfway through the Games, and no medals."

Moses Wadada: "We do have a chance, if certain things go our way. Mugisha Iyasu is a very talented ice skater himself, and he qualified for the next round today. Very quietly- he was the last qualifier. But it doesn't matter how you move on at this stage- all that matters is that you do. He can come out for the free skate and improve his own performance as the competition goes on.

Taddeo Besigye: "Personally, I thing that we have a strong chance as any at getting our first medal tomorrow. First things first, we have Mugisha Iyasu, like you mentioned. But one of my favorite athletes at these games is Adanna Uchechee. She's got a ton of talent- people have identified her as a potential medalist going into the Games. But she's got a fascinating story. Born in Herzegovina City. Her mother died in childbirth. She moved to St. Jakob in Teusland with her father when she was 3. Massive hockey fan. She's probably been there long enough to represent either country, but she chose to represent Banija. She's one of the few non-Mormons you'll see representing Banija in any sport- her and her Father both converting to Teus Catholicism when she was 10."

"Not something you'd expect, right? But despite all that, she's still representing Banija, and she wears this country with pride on her sleeve. I hope and pray she can represent the country well on the international stage. Get a medal, please?"

Moses Wadada: "Well, Iyasu and Uchechee are the two big individual athletes competing tomorrow. We're all-in with the team sports- both ice hockey teams, and both curling teams, are competing. Both hockey teams are undefeated so far, at 1-0, and the women's curling team is going strong as well. So keep an eye out for them. But that's it for us for Olympic night! We'll be back in the morning with live coverage, here from Clayquot, of team Banija."
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kriegiersien » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:48 pm

The almighty Kriegiersien president receives his NOC in his office, with a baseball bat in his hand, going around the table where the 7 people are sitting.

“So, we haven’t won any medals in the last three days, is this right?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“And we have only 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 4 Bronze in total?”

“That isn’t that bad.”
“Much better than Banija. For example.”

The president stops behind the man who said that, petting his baseball bet.

“Yeah, that will make up for the losses in Basketball and Lacrosse against them. Was my target: Just being better as Banija? Hm? Hm?”

“No, but…”

“So what was my goal?”

“Having the most silver medals, but…”

“And who has the most?”

“Mapletish with 5 in the moment, but..”

“I only hear a but. I would have accepted if we would be first in the medal table, but that? We are only Top 15 because our name starts with K. That is not enough. So, do we have plans how to better that?”

Silence occurs.

“That’s what I thought, so I had to made plans again. For the future. Sometimes I am thinking I am the only one in this nation doing something.”

The president starts a presentation on a beamer, with a big A shown.

“Plan A. Zombie Cyborgs. With them we have unstoppable….what?”

“Sir, we already tried that. The Zombiebots who weren’t very successful. We scrapped these.”

“Oh...oh..you are right...Well…”, the President coughs “, plan B. Zombierobot….oh, that is the same. Sorry, Plan C. More boosting stimulants. We can...what now?”

“Sir, we are already using every substance and drug to improve the athletes and others to hide that we use them. That is part of our success.”

“Oh… ok, then, Plan C4. We blast ...… wait, that was a battle plan...brainwaves...no….Plan D. We should use more of our resources in the new acquired lands. The Orcs would be formidable athletes. Why are most athletes humans?”

“Sir, most of Orcs or other species don’t live in the winter regions. And they mostly don’t care for these sports. We have some playing hockey, but that is it. And If I may say, the ban of clothes doesn’t help to bring the people into the cold regions were all the facilities for winter sports are. Maybe if this could be changed again, your plan to become the nudest nation of the Multiverse failed until now, so maybe you could end…”

“No, that is not negotiable. The exception to being allowed to wear jerseys in sport contests motivates many people to start sport at all.”

“Or at least turning up the heat in the room?”, says one man, shivering.

“Maybe”, the president throws his bat into the fireside, while snuggling in his coat, being the only one with clothes.

“Good, good. I mean bad. So… officials. We are making cuts there. These are games for athletes and not others who take away the funding…”

“Sir, you already have done a cut there. Your head of mission is the only official making all the work herself and the less then a dozen technicians and doctors at the site are totally overworked. The athletes have to bring coaches and help on their own costs, what really doesn’t make the situation easier for them.”

The president sits down, tapping on the table. Then looking puzzled into the corner of the room.
“Oh...ok. Then…I have nothing. What could we do?”

After a while a member shrugs and says with a low voice:
“Just.. get better?”

“You are right. Tell that to the athletes. They just have to do better.”
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Srednjaci
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Srednjaci » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:31 pm

WORLD ARENA SPORT CHANNEL

REPORTER: Dear viewers, we are reporting briefly because we are live with our Olympians before the performance.
Colleague Maja Tituš is with biathlete Nina Mandarić.
MAJA: That's right Ivan, Nina Mandarić is with me.
Nina, how do you feel after such a severe cold?

NINA: much better, and we'll see how it goes on the track.

MAJA: But do you feel ready?

NINA: Definitely.

MAJA: Your younger sister Ivana is with us.
Ivana, ninth place is ours and your best result so far, do you expect a shift maybe in this race?

IVANA: I always expect a shift but the competition is great, what you see here is the cream of world biathlon.
Yet these are the Olympics. You can be the best in the World Cup because you collect points but here you only have one chance for history. A moment of inspiration, a good day and someone from anonymity becomes an Olympic winner. That's why I have the right to hope for a medal.

MAJA: Girls, thank you and good luck.
Ivan, we're coming back to you.

REPORTER: Darinko and Ivan are jumping for those medals today, here is what they told us in an online interview.

REPORTER: Darinko, how are you feeling?

DARINKO: Well, I don't have a temperature and that's the most important thing.

REPORTER: qualifications are behind you, what is the jump like?

DARINKO: Everything in Clayquot is well organized, so is this.

REPORTER: What do you expect from today?

DARINKO: I will not be modest, but everything but a medal is a failure for me.

REPORTER: Ivan, you were close to a medal, you were fourth on Normal Hill, do you have the strength to repeat that success.

IVAN: There is enough strength in me for even more. Hehe

REPORTER: Guys, thank you and good luck today.

Dear spectators, we are returning to the last quarter of ice hockey and these were our representatives before today's performance.

Saint-Domingues
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Domingues » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:12 pm

SILVER STRUCK!
Snowboarding - Women's Snowboard Cross: Medal number four and first silver as Reine Rotta earns second-place

Saint-Domingue's barren spell is over as the team finally add to their medal tally and garner a first-ever silver medal at a games courtesy of a surprise runner-up spot for Reine Rotta in the women's snowboard cross.

Rotta, an entrant in four different snowboard disciplines, has bounced back from bitter disappointment in her first appearance. On day three of the games, Rotta had made her Olympic debut in another of the snowboarding events - the women's slopestyle, alongside compatriot Ingrid Loupe. However, both faltered in the qualifying round. Loupe finished 8th, 25 points off a place in the next round, whilst Rotta struggled to 20th in her heat, more than 32 points away from the score required. In the snowboard cross, a discipline she was more skilled in though by no means a favourite, Rotta tried to put things right.

She was not one of the top 24 in her first run, and so was required to perform an additional two runs to make it to the next round. But her times of 1:28.37 (twice) and 1:28.78 were respectable enough to get her through to the next round in 36th. In the first elimination round and the quarter-finals she scraped through each time, finishing 3rd on both occasions. It was not until the semi-finals, when she finished above such accomplished snowboarders as Kaisa Widforss (the eventual gold-medal winner) of Tikariot and Molly Cassima from Krytenia, that people finally began to see Rotta as a realistic competitor for the medals.

A place in the Big Final secured, Rotta then took the chance to prove the doubters wrong one more time as she put in another fine run that earned her second place, the first ever athlete from Saint-Domingue to win the highly-coveted second-place prize.

Saint-Domingue's Reine Rotta: "I felt really low after the slopestyle, I seriously underperformed. It was made even harder because Ingrid [Loupe] was devastated by her performances too - the atmosphere was not so good between us that day, what with us both failing to qualify. A lot of disappointment and introspection."

"My main aim for today, considering that, was to qualify. I am more confident in this discipline, so I was aiming to get through that round. If I could make it to knockouts, and compete with the best boarders, that was going to be a good achievement."

"I didn't have expectations for the knock-out rounds. The first time it was really tough, I was seriously feeling the pressure! My run was not at all as good as I would have liked, but I eked through. And then I did again in the quarter-finals. To be honest with you, I think I was very lucky to still be competing. But I kept my chin up, luck going for me is good. You do start to feel it may be your day when things go for you. And then I recorded what is probably my personal best in the semis. I felt unplayable! After that I was riding a high, confidence surging. I had a lot of belief in myself that I could get a medal. Silver medal, it's fantastic.

"I wasn't at all favoured for this. Pundits, experts, coaches, whatever. I hope all the Dominguans back home can see this and see that even when people don't fancy you, you can still triumph against adversity and with God's grace you can achieve your goals."

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:58 am

OOC: I would like to thank San Ortelio for his RP permissions regarding Giulia Canvelli.

Running Up That Hill

PART 13 (42) - With or Without You

Three days later, a couple of vacationers in our Asher and Eileen just walked along the beautiful beaches of Astello, San Ortelio, where they exactly stood where their Rushmori journey was going to end before the latter's summer tour. It was a fairly long train travel, coming all the way from Yzerberg Central station, though this had meant that they were able to avoid potential nightmares that would have come along with more than two layovers that they were to expect via flying the whole way.

Even then, they were now at a place for Staring into the pristine, spotless beaches of Astello, Asher and Eileen were finally at peace, as they felt the sand bind into their feet. They had made it through what was a likely failure of war commemoration tour, and even though they weren't going to ever return to the bizarre state that was the Pomeroian-era Sicoutimont, they were still able to make the best out of the challenges it provided. Of course, the couple realised the importance of what they took for granted...and their relationship may have strengthened in terms of the binding forces.

Still, a silence had to be broken just once more. 'Mr. Lundrigan?' Asher turned his head around, and looked at the source behind that voice. It was Giulia Canvelli, the local girl whom he knew via his aunt (uncle's wife, that is), whose sister married an Ortelian twenty-five years ago. Asher and Eileen were told to contact the Canvellis when Asher told his parents that they were travelling just bit longer to San Ortelio. Asher recognised that she looked somewhat similar to his aunty, whom he had last seen on his March Break vacation six years ago as a high school seior, and smiled back at her. 'Yes, you must be Giulia.'

'Welcome to Astello, San Ortelio,' Giulia responded, beaming away with a smile. 'Welcome back after six years away. How are you finding it here?'
'All good. All good.' was all he responded. 'Certainly far from over though. You never know with what future brings sometimes.'
'What do you mean?' she asked, not really understanding what Asher's implying.
'Oh, you'll see...San Ortelio has brought me many memories over here..'

Two and a Half Years Later... (January, 2048)

Stephane St-Amand sat quietly on his table and watched the night of partying unfold before his eyes, as the U20 hockey team centreman slowly observed the movements of the crowds. Even after all these years of illegally and legally travelling to nightclubs, the Royal Military College Cornwall student still felt the same exhilarating feeling that he held back in the days of continuous March Breaks in high schools, and drinking sessions sustained during his Junior A and freshman days as a hazing ritual.

It was a day before the Olympics started, and Stephane St-Amand was already going to be in for some trouble, especially given that it was his friend, the famous The Taegukgi journalist Asher Lundrigan, who had invited him for the occasion. Of course, it did require Asher to provide a nice compensation package for the team's coaches, but the coaching staff also knew it was going to be hard to keep his players of few major junior guys but mostly collegiate players at bay, so the quick nudges and winks were exchanged before Stephane was allowed to travel.

Certainly the one for good treats, Stephane thought to himself, as he slowly downed a bottle of Bourbon whiskey.

Located in Downtown Clayquot with all its comfort and security, this nightclub was filled to the brim with enthusiastic tourists and even some olympians of delegations both foreign and domestic. Stephane knew this was both good and bad- the potential presence of journalists outside, looking for scoops would be one of many reasons behind why- but after all the years of playing hockey he had become numb to the occasional doses of reality that would strike him when travelling abroad.

How depressing was it for Stephane, to only observe the crowd while not being able to indulge upon it so much! All because of simple fear that he, the team's star centre, would have to deal with potential ordeals in being a military member. Stephane knew he had no choice, especially given the orders placed by the RQOC regarding the members of Quebecois military represented in their delegation, and decided to just drink more and more.

Of course, it would only take little bit of time before the silence before the flashy gentleman, dressed in arguably the dazzling piece of suits that were only going to be outdone on Kirsche's Corner, ended the quiet doze of solitary drinking for the centreman. Asher Lundrigan, the name long familiar to all those in sports and arts journalism across the Multiverse, split his way from the crowd, as he slowly danced his way, his hips swinging back and forth, to approach his student from the old days.

His broad shoulders and lanky arms, heightened by the excitements in becoming an expectant father, were more than enough to suggest the good nature this man held towards everybody but his enemies. 'Bout time, Stephane chuckled as he watched Asher enter his way with a woman not his wife, before the boys greeted each other again with a simple grab of hands and then some fist bumps.

'Asher! Always on time and ready to cover for his friend!' Stephane chuckled, as he noticed Asher, the man of fifty occupations and fifty-thousand occupational hazards walking around on own, enter on his own. 'What brings you here?'
'Well, you see....I need you to meet someone.' Asher nodded, turning his head once to the left, before waving his right arm open in a matter of introduction. 'Hello, Giulia, this is my friend from years past, Stephane St-Amand. He plays hockey for the Grim Reapers, and is also at Royal Military College.'

'Hey, nice to meet you,' Giulia shyly smiled, trying not to show too much of her innocent self to the stranger. 'Giulia Canvelli.'

'And now, Stephane, this is Giulia Canvelli from San Ortelio,' Asher then wave his left arm to introduce the lady to the lad. 'She's a magical alpine skier from San Ortelio, whose mum, Tara MacDougall, is also married to my uncle, the Baron. I'm surprised you guys haven't met yet.'

'Likewise.' Stephane farcically reached forward to shake her hand, with alcohol in his system affecting much of his mobility. 'Hope you aren't feeling too nervous about it all, the olympics, the expectations and whatnot.'

'It's....something new.' the girl with the straw-coloured hair responded. 'When I was growing up in San Ortelio, it all seemed as if the snow and the skis, you could only imagine them if you travel abroad. So, even though I've been living in Tikariot for the past few winters, I'm still getting used to everything.'

'I could imagine so,' Stephane responded, before having a hiccup. Giulia laughed a couple of times right after, making him realise that he was with a stranger, but he couldn't help it. 'I've been playing hockey all my life, and travelled to plenty of countries- whether they be in Rushmore or Atlantian Oceania- but everything still feels new wherever it goes. Are you heading to Quebec for school later then?'

'drjgjgkkd university-' was what he heard from her. Of course, Stephane could not exactly hear it, mostly because of how loud the DJ played the music, but he didn't really care about it anyway. There was something with the Ortelian, in how her Ortelian facial features and complexion, as well as her Quebecois height and instinct were mixed, that he couldn't help but to be drawn into her. There was something delightful in the night, and the more they talked about their time travelling and spending hobbies, they knew they were both going to return to her lodgings later...

The tale of Giulia and Stephane will continue on Season 6 of TWGS....stay tuned!
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Seeing through Self: Part 3

Postby Mapletish » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:22 am

Part 1 Part 2

Seeing through Self: Part 3 - Confession

Scrambling to their seats, the pair smiled at each other. It was in their gaze, their body language, their gaze, the longingness to see each other again. Jansen broke the silence first as their gazes naturally stopped and their eyes met. A good few seconds of eye contact ensued.

“Janet. It is so nice seeing you again,” Jansen spoke in a calm manner as he tried to hide any sign of nervousness. His fast-racing heart almost betrayed him but he managed to keep it down. Little did Jansen know that Janet had seen through all of that. She tried not to chuckle after sensing the initial suspense from Jansen.

She replied coolly, “Yes, business has been good, you know I miss our days back in school,” in an attempt to break the ice a little and get into the conversation. Jansen caught onto the cue, “Yes, remember the day we went for the trek at the nature reserve?”

Janet recalled what had happened then, “He’s probably going to talk about how I got so frightened by the flock of birds that came our way when we walking on the trail. Damn. What a bummer, but at least he held onto me.”

Jansen echoed Janet’s thought almost to a tee as he related the day’s happenings to her and they both chuckled at what had happened that day. Janet tried to pass the ball back to Jansen’s court. “Tell me about your days in the military. You haven’t contacted me after you left for the military. Why haven’t you? I was worried sick back then.”

Jansen took a sip of his latte and cleared his throat. He was prepared to say the truth anyway. He thought about how he was going to phrase the words. Torn between sounding too needy and sounding too uncaring and uncondescending.

Janet was anticipating Jansen’s reply too in that instant as she saw his deliberation and attempt to put the words together. She had known that Jansen was a little too prideful to admit that he had indeed left to give themselves the space, because he had needed the space to think about their friendship through. Whether the friendship was worth risking to satisfy the desire to be in a romantic relationship. Not all of their friends had turned out great in their transitions towards romantic relationships as friends, that thought was common for both Janet and Jansen and both deliberated that in their years apart.

Jansen broke his silence and begun slowly, “Back then, I was thinking about our friendship. Enlisting to the military would be the better option for me as I would then be separated from the rest of the community, start life afresh and be away from where we were in. It was a safe head space for me to think things through. I know the military is not what you had care about anyways, you care about us.” Janet nodded, her gaze turned a little lower and into Jansen’s eyes.

She felt warmth towards him, “He wasn’t the same guy who left five years ago, he has changed. He actually considered about us,” Janet made a quick mental note as Jansen continued to speak. “I actually thought that, it is worth the risk after all, and that I should have spoken to you about us,” Jansen’s tone gone a little deeper than usual. His gaze shifted away from Janet’s as he tried to fight back the urge to feel the emotions hitting him.

“Now you have the chance to tell me again. Tell me what was it,” Janet reassured him as she held onto his hand. Jansen caught the subtle cue and held her hand with his other hand. He continued, “I have liked you since then, and I guess it is the right time to make you mine. Would you be mine? We can work things through.” Janet nodded almost in an instant.

Jansen shed a tear for all the emotions that he had felt through the years. He had finally had an emotional output, and it was to someone he had treasured so much since the beginning. Janet knew this was coming but at that moment, she was in the spiral of emotions together with Jansen.

The confession was a success and it had come from Jansen, the very person who started off their friendship, from knowing to interaction, from kindling to separation. Janet turned towards Jansen and embraced him, head in his chest.

She spoke slowly, “I had always believed in what is meant to be is meant to be. Fate led us together and no matter the distance, we came back together again. It was meant to be. Don’t you agree?”

Jansen nodded, pleased that he had overcome the hurdles in his ego and pride to confess to her. “I had always believed in Karma,” he replied.

“I must have owed you something. You might have saved my life in our previous lives and I am here to return the favour,” Janet said jokingly.

“Probably? Whatever will be will be, like whatever that is meant to be will be,” Jansen said with a genuine touch, Janet felt it and she saw through it even as she laid in his embrace. They held onto a little longer. That was the closest they had felt in the seven years they had known each other.

Janet retreated from the embrace and sat up, “Tell me about what you have done after being away for five years,” Janet attempted to shift the conversation back to what is originally intended to before Jansen’s feelings got the better of him.

“Alright, I left to join the paratroopers back then. It was a tough decision for me to make but I had one of the best times of my life there too. Made buddies whom I can keep for the rest of my life. In the five years I had deployed to fight against the Revolutionists in Somalia. I guess what really changed my idea about us was during the deployment periods. I wrote several wills and letters back home that were unsent before I went out the conflict zone. Some of those were directed to you, and they were all regrets about how back then I failed to say anything to clear the air about what we were. I thought, it would be regretful if I were to die in conflict and I didn’t get the chance to make known about how I felt towards you. I felt sorry towards you and I blamed myself for being selfish and not considering what you might have thought. After the deployments, I told myself that I had to make this known to you, I had to.”

Jansen felt a rock lifted from his shoulders.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Srednjaci
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

DAY 9- CLAYQUOT OLYMPICS

Postby Srednjaci » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:18 am

WORLD ARENA SPORT -CHANEL 1

REPORTER IVAN JURLINA: Dear viewers, good day to you, today is the ninth day of the XV Winter Olympic Games in Claquot. A beautiful city with a lot of nice restaurants.
The host of the games did his best to keep everything organized at the highest level.
With us in the studio are the president of the Olympic Committee Siniša Čunko and the president of the ski association Julija Sović.
Before the interview, let’s take a look at what our today’s contestants said live.

MAJA: That's right Ivan, Nina Mandarić is with me.
Nina, how do you feel after such a severe cold?

NINA: much better, and we'll see how it goes on the track.

MAJA: But do you feel ready?

NINA: Definitely.

MAJA: Your younger sister Ivana is with us.
Ivana, ninth place is ours and your best result so far, do you expect a shift maybe in this race?

IVANA: I always expect a shift but the competition is great, what you see here is the cream of world biathlon.
Yet these are the Olympics. You can be the best in the World Cup because you collect points but here you only have one chance for history. A moment of inspiration, a good day and someone from anonymity becomes an Olympic winner. That's why I have the right to hope for a medal.

MAJA: Girls, thank you and good luck.

REPORTER: Darinko and Ivan are jumping for those medals today, here is what they told us in an online interview.

REPORTER: Darinko, how are you feeling?

DARINKO: Well, I don't have a temperature and that's the most important thing.

REPORTER: qualifications are behind you, what is the jump like?

DARINKO: Everything in Clayquot is well organized, so is this.

REPORTER: What do you expect from today?

DARINKO: I will not be modest, but everything but a medal is a failure for me.

REPORTER: Ivan, you were close to a medal, you were fourth on Normal Hill, do you have the strength to repeat that success.

IVAN: There is enough strength in me for even more. Hehe

REPORTER: Guys, thank you and good luck today.

Dear spectators, we are returning to the last quarter of ice hockey and these were our representatives before today's performance.

REPORTER : Here we saw our statements before the performance, this was a few hours ago, Mr. Čunko, in order for you to evaluate the performance of our athletes so far?

ČUNKO: It's amazing what we achieved with only 51 athletes at the games. We have silver and bronze, we lack gold to have a set of medals and I know that gold is very close.
In addition to the medal, there are 3 fourth places and many more in the top 10.
I am really satisfied but I hope for that gold.

REPORTER: We hope so too. Ms. Sovic, you are, as they say, an insider of the ski team.
Has the severe cold virus receded?

SOVIC: We have good news that the cold has receded, no one has a fever, but I don't know how much it left on physical fitness.
But the atmosphere is great, everyone is busy and can't wait for the fights for medals.

REPORTER: We’ve been through a lot of topics here but it kind of catches the eye that we don’t have an ice hockey team yet. We talked about clubs, infrastructure, but did these Olympic Games improve the interest in hockey?

SOVIC: Certainly they are, it is one of the most watched events globally at the games and they are followed with great interest in our country as well. I believe a lot of young people will ask to be enrolled in hockey.

REPORTER: Not all competitions in skiing, alpine and Nordic are over yet. We have great chances for medals. What is the situation in individual ice sports?

ČUNKO: I guess this question is for me haha. Well it’s not exactly great and we’ll fix that for the future. Namely, Yong Cho was under an elevated temperature, so it failed to place high. Our pair will compete in figure skating today, but I'm not sure about the high ranking. These are the beginnings of the project for the future. These athletes will one day pass on their knowledge to younger generations.
We are a young country, we do as much as we can for everyone. The economy is developing and growing rapidly, so we are working on infrastructure without which it is impossible to achieve anything.

REPORTER: Clearly, we have great winter resorts with miles and miles of trails of all kinds and what about snowboarding and other similar sports?

ČUNKO: Only this year, the Olympic Committee formed committees of certain sports, including snowboarding. A lot of young people go snowboarding, especially children. So, in time, a name will surely appear.

REPORTER: Do you think [nation]Siovania & Teusland[/nation] can win the hockey tournament?

ČUNKO: Well, I think they are big favorites for gold, but there are other big hockey nations.

REPORTER: let's look at the table with medals.
Britonisea		BRI	1	0	1	2
Cassadaigua CDG 3 3 0 6
Chromatika CMT 2 1 3 6
Darmen DAR 2 1 1 4
Diarcesia DCS 0 1 1 2
Equest. Sts. Poland EQP 1 2 1 4
Falkasia FLK 1 3 1 5
Græntfjall GRÆ 0 1 3 4
Gragastavia GRG 0 0 1 1
Hannasea HAN 0 1 0 1
Ioudaia IOU 0 0 3 3
Kelssek KSK 4 1 3 8
Kreigiersien KGS 1 1 4 6
Krytenia KRY 1 0 1 2
Lacetanya LCT 1 0 0 1
Liventia LEN 1 1 2 4
Mapletish MAP 4 5 3 12
Mytanija MYT 3 1 3 7
New Waldensia NWD 3 2 0 5
Northwest Kalactin NWK 1 1 3 5
Npc West Florida NWF 0 1 0 1
Nurkama NRK 1 0 0 1
Renzynistan RZN 2 0 2 4
Royal Kingd. Quebec QUE 3 0 1 4
Saint-Domingues SDM 3 1 0 4
Siovanija & Teusland STL 3 3 2 8
Sonnel SON 0 0 1 1
Srednjaci SRE 0 1 1 2
Taeshan TAE 2 2 1 5
Terre des Gaules GUL 1 0 0 1
Tikariot TKT 1 3 4 8
Valanora VAL 1 3 1 5
Vilitan Union VLT 2 4 0 6
Waisnor WSN 0 3 0 3
West Phoenicia KWP 3 3 4 10
Xuande-Xiophoi XXO 1 3 0 4

REPORTER : Mapletysh has 12, West Phoenicia 10, host Kelssek 8 of which 4 gold.
We are on 2 medals and hopefully more medals for us.
Dear viewers, stay with our program because we are sure to have an exciting day.
Last edited by Srednjaci on Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 am

SHORT TRACK: Hold the (black) front page!

Apparently our threat of an "in memoriam" front page of the Cy'un did it. After a week of frustration, a Krytenian finally made it onto the medal podium, though not without a little more pain to endure in the Portage Centre. The three skaters in the quarter-finals of the Men's 1000m quickly became one, as first An Cho-Jin and then James Abrams found themselves outpaced, before Morton Auswald went the same way in the semis. The women's 1500m, though, was a different story. A clash in the second semi-final had expanded the final field to seven - Lauren Collins of Cassadaigua the beneficiary after being impeded by Waisnori skater Polina Khripach - with our own Karen Webster and Paula Valka lining up in hopes for a medal. Valka made good early running, but faded as the laps ticked on, allowing Darmen's Renata Chance to win at a canter. Collins made the most of her advancement, claiming the silver, whilst Webster held off the chasing pack on the final lap to claim Krytenia's second medal of the Games. Hopefully, now that particular monkey is off the team's collective backs, we can add to that tally in the remaining events.

SNOWBOARDING: Not the kind of spectacular we were looking for...

There is no doubting the women's snowboard cross final will be one to remember for Molly Cassima; unfortunately, it'll be for all the wrong reasons after a spectacular crash undid all her hard work. Cassima was attempting to overtake for the lead on one of the course's banked turns when the front of her board ran over the back of the board attached to Filimena Gorceska's feet. The Mytanar boarder lost speed - and this likely contributed to her losing out on a medal - whilst the Krytenian's sudden loss of grip caused her to careen into the catch-fence on the outside of the corner. Cassima did manage to get to her feet and finish the race, thankfully only suffering a few bruises from her encounter, and proved that sometimes, the universe just doesn't work in your favour.

CURLING: A bunch of fives

Group B of the men's curling event is really hotting up, with four teams tied on five wins following today's games at the University of Etnier. Krytenia began the day with a routine victory over the struggling West Floridian team, before all eyes turned upon the team's encounter with group leaders Tikariot, yet to lose in group play. A back and forth tactical battle ensued, and after eight ends the score was four-all, albeit with the Krytenians in possession of the hammer. A two gave them the lead, but with one end left for their opponents to potentially steal the win. Indeed, with seven stones played apiece, Tikariot were lying two, albeit with no guard in place. Herzog's last stone had to be inch-perfect, and was, ramming the central Tikariot stone in such a way that it not only went out of the back of the house, but also took out its brother a couple of feet out. All that was left was for the final stone to be drawn into the house, the single point not enough to prevent Krytenia from inflicting Tikariot's first defeat of the competition. Liventia now top the group on point differential, with all of the top four knowing that two wins in three will safely see them through to the last sixteen.

Want to try curling? Find details of local organisations for this, and other Winter Olympic sports and get active at www.kbs.kt/sportforall

Watch all the action from Clayquot at www.kbs.kt/smartview
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm

Liisa Rautio was the first skater on the ice for the Fluvannia women's hockey team during their pre-game warmup. As she followed starting goaltender Marissa Zimmermann out of the bench gate, she stuck her arm out and knocked the pucks off the dasher boards for everyone to use. Whoever among the Kelssekian hosts working as ice crew had set those pucks up in a very careful balancing act to ensure it spelled out the team's trigram -- FLV. It almost seemed criminal to bowl over the fruits of such an effort.

The team had gotten off to a good start on the first day of competition with a comfortable 3-1 victory against the Equestrian States of Poland. They had a bye on the second day, but were now facing off against Cocoabo Forest, who had also beaten the Equestrian States after dropping their first game against Darmen. They would prove a more formidable opponent, a good measuring stick to check the Fluvannian team and prepare them for games against group favorites Cassadaigua and Valanora.

As is standard for hockey teams warming up pre-game, a number of stretches and quick exercises were employed to ensure the players stayed loose and limber, and to ensure they were prepared mentally. One such exercise involves everyone coming down the slot from the blueline one at a time and taking a shot at the goal; designed to help both skaters and goaltenders focus, it was one of Liisa's least favorite parts of warming up with the national team. Not because she was a bad shot -- she wasn't playing on the first line at only age 22 for nothing -- but because trying to shoot against a person as tall as Marissa was a pain even when she wasn't trying her hardest to make a save. Sure enough, Liisa's shot was aimed a little too selectively, and instead of finding the back of the net rang off the crossbar and up into the netting behind the goal. "Perkele," Liisa muttered, drawing a chuckle from the person in front of her in the cycle, blueliner Mari Kishimoto. Liisa was a Vinn, an ethnic group more common up north -- including in her hometown, the national capital of Oshkosh -- and Mari was Umitaku, hailing from down south on the Piedmont coast, but even then the two peoples had lived together long enough under one flag that both of them had various bits of their respective languages bleed over into the common tongue. Even down south, perkele was well-understood as both a frustrated expletive and an almost defiant expression of determination. "Ah, you'll get the next one," Mari said, grinning. She jerked a gloved hand back over her shoulder. "Something up there that might cheer you up anyway." Liisa turned, following the gesture, and was a bit taken aback by what she saw.

Women's ice hockey exists in sort of a limbo in the world of Fluvannian sports. As in many societies, women's sports were generally seen as less entertaining or engaging than their male counterparts. No professional leagues existed, though there was talk of a semi-professional hockey league, and most men's hurling clubs had partnerships with their local women's counterparts. This disadvantage was offset somewhat by the fact that in their case, they were playing the sport so beloved in their homeland that it was often joked games were never scheduled for Sunday to ensure people actually went to Mass. Hockey was hockey, and it was one of the elements that bound their northern nation together. Still though, there was nothing that would have ever suggested Liisa would see what she did just then. A man was making his way up the stairs; presumably he had just located his seat and was returning to the concourse to get some food or visit the restroom or something, pretty standard activities for spectators during warmups. It was what he was wearing, however, that gave Liisa pause. The deep royal blue sometimes called "lacustrine", or even "FluBlu" when speaking tongue-in-cheek. The thick white stripe around the torso, just below the sleeves, with matching stripes around the sleeves at the elbow. Seeing a fan in what was clearly a Team Fluvannia jersey was one thing; their previous games had always seen a solid number of people in men's team jerseys, which were identical in design but actually available to the buying public. Seeing the number 66 on the back in white, with RAUTIO above...that was another thing entirely. Liisa was perplexed -- had this fan custom-ordered a jersey with her name and number on it? He clearly wasn't her father, either of her brothers, or her boyfriend, so why on Earth did he pick her for a custom jersey?

What Liisa didn't know -- and neither did any of her teammates -- was that the FHF had started selling women's team gear in their online store. It was a surprise gift to the team, a gesture of solidarity, a chance for them to be supported by people wearing their names on the back, instead of just the right name on the front. (It should be noted that two members of the team in fact did have brothers playing on the men's national team -- the Clearys and Salamas were hockey families through and through, and each of the sisters on the women's team requested their respective brother's number as a sign of affection.) The team's newfound merchandising was confirmed after warmups, when Coach Chamberlain was pressed on the issue in the locker room. If the team had been mentally prepared before this point, after the news was confirmed they were about set to run through a wall.

Unfortunately for the team from Cocoabo Forest, while they weren't a wall, they were close enough. Four goals -- including two from Liisa herself, one of those on the power play -- combined with a 43-save shutout performance from Zimmermann saw the Fluvannian team (sometimes known as the Mama Bears, after the Bears nickname applied to the men) emerge victorious, and with the Group A lead no less.
Pop. 213,840,408 | GDP $11.156 T | Area 572,302.6 sq. mi. (1,482,257 sq. km) | Demonym Fluvannian
Gov't Structure Federal Constitutional Principality | Monarch Crown Prince Michael
Sports Trigram FLV
A 14 civilization, according to this index. (Tech 6, Arcane 0, Influence 6)
"Greenness" Score: 0.0796
Int'l Hockey Ranks: 20th (Sr.), 3rd (Jr.)
Silver Medal, World Jr. Hockey Championship 15
Host, WJHC 15
NS World Cup Rank: 139th

Mytanija
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Mytanija » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 pm

DAY OF NEAR MISSES FOR MYTANIJA
DOES FIVE 4TH PLACE FINISHES IN TWO DAYS SUGGEST ATHLETES ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK?

by Ilya Zivalvyuk

Many felt that Mytanija couldn’t come much closer to medals without winning something than Josif Tsonchev and Ivo Skrlec’s pair of 4th places in the men’s super-G and snowboard cross the other day, but yesterday three Mytanar athletes finished in that dreaded 4th place position in their events to top even Tsonchev and Skrlec’s level of frustration. Short track star Anamarija Segota, the women’s cross-country skiing relay team and snowboarder Filimena Gorceska were left disappointed with only three in each event better than them and taking home the medals.

The Olympics is the pinnacle in all of these sports and with the opportunity to compete only coming around once every four years there is a real cruel sense of disappointment in finishing in 4th place. In other sports runners-up are cynically held to be the ‘best of the losers’, but given the quality of the participants in the Olympics finishing on the podium is an exceptional result and athletes very happily take home their gold, silver or bronze medals. That sense of disappointment that may normally be reserved for finishing 2nd is felt by those finishing just off the podium and although it does demonstrate that the OKM clearly have some of our younger athletes on the right track (such as the Avdic twins), it must be frustrating that Mytanars are coming ever so close to walking away with tangible success but have ended up repeatedly missing out.

Anamarija Segota reached the final of the women’s 1,500m short track with an ominously strong performance in her semi-final, her time of 2:17.265 the best any of the women put in in the latter stages of the competition. In the final she was entirely off the pace set by Darmeni Renata Chance and then got stuck behind a smart move by Cassadaigua’s Lauren Collins which was followed by the Krytenian Karen Webster. Segota never recovered and was left rueing her moment’s inattentiveness as she could only come over the line in 4th place. Segota was undoubtedly one of the favourites coming into Clayquot and after her poor performance in the 500m event this one will have stung even more. Her sights will now turn to the relay and the 1,000m where she will undoubtedly be trying to make-up for her disappointing games thus far.

The women’s cross-country skiing relay team were book-ended with an Avdic at either end, Almasa Avdic leading off before Ifeta Avdic brought the race home. Ifeta Avdic’s final 5km split-time was one of the five fastest set by any of the women out on the course, but it sadly came a little too late as the Mytanar quartet finished 7 seconds off the podium. The race was won by the Quebecois team with a dominant 12 second time-gap to silver medal winners Diarcesia. The Avdic sisters may be threatening to make cross-country skiing their domain, only 22 and with plenty of time ahead of them to fight for medals in the future. Both were impressive in this event and still have the team sprint – where the twins are the Mytanar team – and the longer 30km classical event to look forward to. Almasa Avdic will have her sights set on trying to medal in that, with her preference being for the longer distance.

Filimena Gorceska wasn’t thought to be Mytanija’s best hope of a medal in the women’s snowboard cross heading into Clayquot – that was Olya Belomestnykh, more on her in a second – but she found herself in the final after an exhilirating series of races which she had largely scraped through. The 24 year old’s 2nd place in the quarter-final was probably her most comfortable showing of the day with her races punctuated with all the thrills and spills we have come to associate with the snowboard cross event. Sadly Gorceska’s day continued in this vein in the final as Molly Cassima’s unfortunate crash caused her to lose speed heading into the latter stages of the race. The Krytenian was thankfully okay, the crash being caused by nothing more than a simple loss of grip on one of the course’s banked turns. The pair could be spotted exchanging pleasantries in good spirits following the race indicating that there were no hard feelings between either competitor. Gorceska will have chances to improve on this showing if she can stay at the top of the sport domestically over the coming years, but there may always be a sense of what could have been given how narrowly she was beaten here in Clayquot. That slight contact between herself and Cassima’s boards potentially the difference between a medal and 4th place.

Olya Belomestnykh was knocked out of the competition in the eighth-finals, a slightly lackadaisical run punished by another Mytanar in the form of Karla Matijasic. Belomestnykh appeared to be trying to cruise through the competition but Matijasic came through the final turn of the course on the inside and over the line just ahead of Belomestnykh. There was minor contact between the pair, but the race jury deemed that it was unintentional and inconsequential in the end result. Belomestnykh was furious and could be seen remonstrating with Matijasic in a manner which couldn’t have been further from the good-natured conversation between Gorceska and Cassima later in the day. Mytanar coaches were seen having to pull the 27 year old Belomestnykh away from her team mate and there will surely be conversations to be had about her conduct.

Further skiing woes in an otherwise good day for Mytanar athletes

Durad Balic started the day off well for Mytanija by finishing comfortably – if unimpressively – inside the top 24 in the men’s individual short program figure skating. His score of 91.53 wasn’t enough to challenge the leaders, but will at least give him a chance of battling for a medal. Success for Balic would be highly unexpected, with the men’s figure skating team being one of the weaker areas for Mytanija in Clayquot. We have some outstanding athletes entering the women’s event and Nermin Ahmedhodzic and Lejla Nisic; and Zmejko Gramatnikovski and Marina Gramatnikovska will be among the contenders for medals in the ice dancing, but Balic was not considered to have strong potential for a medal and many in figure skating were disappointed with the sport’s lack of funding when compared to some of the more popular winter sports.

Mytanija appears to be finding a new-found love for curling as a result of the success of the teams we have in Clayquot. The men’s team seem to be continuing on the path blazed by Branko Lazarevic and Danika Savicevic in the mixed doubles as they have moved to 5-0 in the group stage following 9-4 and 4-3 victories over Renzynistan and Siovanija and Teusland respectively. The women’s team are not quite at 100% like the men after tasting defeat against Diarcesia following a strong win over Flexanewmega, their 5-1 record still leaves them sat in 2nd in the group which would see them into the knockout rounds. Sports journalists have been trying to theorise exactly why our teams have performed this well, with the sport not garnering much in the name of widespread interest, with many believing the influence of Cotdelapomais/Donnaconan immigrants has perhaps played its part in creating a really strong domestic curling scene without anybody really noticing.

Petse Stanoev was arguably the day’s stand-out individual performer out of the Mytanar delegation. He was good value for his 4th place in the first qualifying heat in the free-skiing aerials, a solid score of 123.20 leaving him on the cusp of the medal positions ahead of what promises to be an exciting final. The host nation’s Sean Rossland-Gleaner led the field with his outstanding 125.75 and will be difficult to beat given the ease with which he beat the field in this opening salvo. Stanoev will be confident of fighting it out with the likes of the West Phoenician Chavatangakwunua Solice and Taeshani Matt Hosier, but he’ll really want to try and chase down that score of Rossland-Gleaner’s if at all possible.

The women’s ice hockey team battled to a hard-fought 2-1 win over Mapletish. Enesa Muminovic’s double in the third period turned the game on its head and sealed an important victory. The team sit 4th in the group currently but will be hoping to move up the standings with three group games to play. Three Mytanar ski jumpers will be in the final of the men’s large hill event, Mojas Komnencic was the best-placed with an outstanding 135.6 score which was good enough for 5th in qualifying. Zlatan Kazepov and Stanko Kuzmanovic were a distance off Komnencic’s performance down in 23nd and 38th respectively, but placing three in the final of an event which Mytanija was not expected to do very much in is a good result and those involved in ski jumping will hope for strong performances in the final so that they might receive a little bit more in the way of investment.

It was more disappointment in alpine skiing though as two of Mytanija’s best medal hopefuls in the women’s super-G crashed out of the competition. Katya Poda was highly thought of heading into Clayquot and will be understandably disappointed with her showing, Lena Perfilvyeva was the other who failed to finish her run. The pair were expected to figure towards the top of the standings, but this demonstrates just how difficult the competition is at the Olympics, one false move down these runs leaves you out of the competition at worst and well out of the medals at best. Ski Mytanija will be trying to work out what has gone wrong in alpine skiing events with the amount of opportunities to grab a medal rapidly decreasing. We’re not far away from Slava Preobrazhensky’s two preferred disciplines, with the men’s giant slalom coming up in a couple of days and the slalom not long after. The pressure building on his shoulders must be enormous as the nation’s other top skiers haven’t performed thus far and the 23 year old wasn’t at his best in the super-combined either. Mladen Andrijanic’s 7th place in the men’s 15km cross-country was a respectable performance, with Edin Miovsky managing to finish in the top 15 too and that sort of outcome (in conjunction with Ifeta Avdic’s gold) does indicate that the cross-country section of Ski Mytanija are getting things right, but the OKM must be considering an inquest into the alpine skiing team’s underperformance.

There has perhaps been a bit of an underestimation of the level of competition in alpine skiing events at Clayquot by both the OKM and Ski Mytanija and an overestimation of the ability of a young alpine skiing delegation to fight with more experienced athletes for the top spots. Hopefully this is understood and there isn’t a hasty removal of funding for alpine skiing events as we do have some top athletes with incredible potential within the current system. The likes of Poda (aged 20) and Perfilvyeva (25) still have plenty of time to reach the level many believe they can, removing funding due to one set of disappointing results at Clayquot will certainly not help them on their way.
FEDERATIVNA REPUBLIKA MYTANIJA
Federal Republic of Mytannion

Capital: Esca
Population: c. 49,600,000
Demonym: Mytanar

Interested in Mytanar sport? Visit the Mytanski sportski mediji web page

Siovanija and Teusland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Siovanija and Teusland » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Stelburger Zeitung

STOC, Feds Announce New Funding Deal for Sankt Gotthard Centre

’Centre for Olympic Excellence’ to Receive New Government Funding

It’s not everyday that you see a bill - especially one creating more spending - pass with near-universal approval in the National Chancellery. But today, all parties in the legislature were happy to put their rubber-stamp on the Wintersportstadt Sankt Gotthard Act and send it off to President Hoskova at the Green House.

“It’s a victory for all athletes in this country with Winter Olympic dreams - that they, too, can be like their heroes on the television,” said Chancellor Dominik Meier in a speech after the bill was passed. Leader of the Official Opposition Alexander Danek of the Labour Party said that “Everyone in our nation can be proud of the performances seen so far at the Olympic Games in Kelssek - but this deal today means we can look ahead to what the next generation can do, too.”

The Siovanija & Teusland Olympic Committee have long wanted to use the cluster of mountain villages around the town of Sankt Gotthard as a hub of Winter Olympics activity in the country. The ski areas in the region have long been host to national championships, and the sliding centre in the area is the best in the nation and has been used as a base for training. However, it was a struggle to get governmental approval for the Wintersportstadt program for many years.

The STOC first had to obtain permission from each of the town and village councils of the areas concerned. In Sankt Gotthard, it wasn’t too much of a problem - the city had, after all, always been a winter sports hub and was excited to expand its prestige in the country. The smaller villages, however, were other stories - some much more traditional in their nature, and opposed to the idea of new development. In Velden-Villach, for example, the village council debated for nearly a year before approving the project. In Eisenkappel, it was turned over to a public referendum, which just barely passed with 54% in favour.

The next step was agreements with the Government of the Republic of Teusland, which was not too difficult to achieve, as well as with the federal government and the various sporting federations. Several winter sport bodies have their own federations associated with the STOC, and this meant arrangements had to be made with them as well. The Republic of Teusland quickly agreed to the plan - but the inter-federation disputes were large, with many fearing a loss of power to the STOC. The damage was so great that the STOC did not send a delegation to compete at the 14th Winter Olympic Games, despite the fact they had participated in the Summer Games before and after. Finally, however, the agreement was reached, and plans for the WIntersportstadt began.

The project consists of two parts. The first, of course, deals with infrastructure. A new and improved sliding centre to replace the current Schiebezentrum Sankt Gotthard, which has gotten older and requires the replacing. Funds will also go to local authorities for the improvement of the ski hills and courses in the area, while a few other new projects are planned. These include a new speed skating oval, expansions to the Sankt Gotthard Eispalast, as well as various new residences for athletes to stay in during their training.

The second part of the project is the overall funding for training of Olympic athletes. The Centre for Olympic Excellence is the official government name of both the infrastructure project at Sankt Gotthard as well as a new organization which will be dedicated to finding areas that can be improved and where more support can be provided to athletes. For example, the COE would likely point out speed skating as an area that could use improvement, and would then recommend ways funding could be used to strengthen athletes in those events.

Reaction to the funding plan has been overwhelmingly positive, including some response from those athletes currently in Clayquot. Women’s ski jumping gold medalist Natalie Schwanthaler told the Zeitung that “It’s a great day for everyone here, but also for the kids watching us back home, because this is really meant for them one day.” There has been some minor criticism, however, from summer Olympians. Siovanija & Teusland is a winter sports country, but some still feel slighted that the focus has shifted almost entirely to support for winter athletes, and not those in the summer who feel in many cases they need it more. An athlete from the Istria/Orean Olympics, who wished to remain anonymous, told us “They are just focused on the easy work, and not actually building a successful program - we don’t even send a full delegation to the summer Games, but there’s little support for us.” It will always be a tough battle, however, for those athletes in sports less popular and less widespread at home.

Winter Olympic action continues from Clayquot, and of course the Stelburger Zeitung will continue to have all the coverage as the competition rolls on. Can Siovanija & Teusland add to an excellent start to the Games so far? And can the national hockey teams deliver a big result for the nation in Kelssek? We’ll find out soon. Continued luck and well-wishes to all our athletes in Clayquot.
The United Republics of Siovanija & Teusland
Capital: Borograd | Population: 74,245,000 | Demonyms: Siovanijan, Teus | Country Code: STL

World Cup of Hockey 40, 41 & 42 Champions ⋆ World Junior Hockey Championship 14 Champions

Ioudaia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ioudaia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Men's Ski Jump: Large Hill Qualifiers
Entauren Mountain Resort

"Hello, this Tychon ben Silounos Hillel with Champion Network bringing you all of today's skiing action from Entauren. Matan ben Utz had a good set of jumps, ending up with a final score of 128.2 and qualifying for the medal jumps. I'm here with him now.

"First, congratulations, Matan! So how to you compare your performance this time to the normal hill jumps a few days ago?"

"A little better, despite the scores. My form's been consistent, and I've nailed the landings each time."

"And the distance?"

"That could be better, but I'm not too concerned about it: I'm very confident in my technique, and now that I've qualified again, I'm feeling good about the final.

"The competition is pretty tough here, but so far, I've been able to tune them out. It's a big improvement from the last olympics, so I'm happy. I should be able to compete for several more years, so I've got more chances after this.

"Thanks, Matan, and good luck!"

Women's Super-G

"Tychon ben Silounos Hillel is back with you for Polyxena bat Gina's run. She's getting ready... there she goes! That was a strong start for Polyxena. She looks good, aaaand... into the first gate, she's got the fastest time so far! She cut that gate about as close inside as it gets.

"Into the second gate... she's still the fastest! This is a great r-- That didn't look--! No! Polyxena has crashed heading into gate three. Oh! That looks bad. Her leg looks bad, I don't like that angle! Aaahh! And she's hit the edge fence. Oh, no!"

"Yes, her right leg is badly injured. She's... she's moving around now, trying to get up... That looks--! She's in real pain there, grabbing her right leg."

"The first medical team has reached her. They're talking to her... now talking on their radios. This doesn't look good!"

"We've got the slo-mo of her turn. It looks like she was off balance after a bump, and then her right leg ends up out to the side-- oh, it gets caught as her ski is torn off. Oooowww! Hopefully, this isn't a career-ending injury."

"A stretcher crew has reached Polyxena bat Gina after a serious crash here in the Women's Super-G. They've got her on a back board... I hope they're just being cautious. Polyxena is on the stretcher now, and they're lifting her.

"Wow, look at that! She's waving to the crowd! Her face is a mask of pain, but she's waving! Now that's sportsmanship! She's a great athlete! I hope her injury isn't as bad as it looks."

Figure skating: Men's Individual
Partisans Arena, Clayquot

Hippon Zer's scores went up. He snapped his fingers, scowled, and shook his head. "That's not going to do it. Not at all."

He rejoined the team, dumping himself onto the bench. "One little stumble..." His teammates sympathized and patted him on the shoulder. He stayed head down for most of the next skater's routine, finally raising his eyes enough to watch them. He snorted. "Ha! I did better than that!"

Twisting on the bench, Hippon faced Deukalion. "I would have done better if the scoring had been fair." His mouth flashed a lopsided grin.

"The scoring's rigged, but nope! I'm completely focused now." Deukalion made straight-ahead gestures with both hands, one on either side of his faee. "I see nothing but my routine. I see nothing but qualifying. I've been visualizing every element, every step, since this morning. I'm ready. I'm gonna do this."

Hippon gave him a thumbs up. "That's the spirit!"

* . * . *

During Deukalion's routine, the figure skating team was as focused on his routine as he was. Over two dozen eyes followed his every move.

"There's the quad Axel... Oh, he nailed it! He nailed it!" Zakai pumped his fist. "He's got it for sure, just with that."

"And that's not a bad bit of hydroblading," added Keidar, pointing her finger for emphasis. "If he doesn't make it, I'm going to start agreeing with him."

The team held its breath, then burst into cheering and clapping as Deukalion's scores were posted. Hippon slapped Deukalion on the back as he arrived. "Keep that focus, D, and you've got a real shot at it!"

"I am. I will. I'm not going to let this one go without a fight."

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013

Postby Aboveland » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Aboveland Achieves Amazing Accolade: OCCLA Confirms Olympic Record | Winter Olympics: Day 8
Ilka Sohlberg was confirmed to be the Women's 1500m Short Track Olympic Record holder while absent from the finals of said competition. Also in short track, a fat 'VITTU!' for Risto Vuohensilta after the Men's 500m final.

Alongside Team Abovian Union's sporadically great figure skating performances, and oh-so-close revelation runs in cross-country skiing, short track has been another discipline from where Abovian athletes have walked away having put themselves on the map. As the second competitive day of Women's 1500m began, OCCLA revealed that Ilka Sohlberg,--younger sibling of cross-country skier and almost-medal-winner Hermann--despite not having qualified past the second round of the elimination heats, had set a new Olympic record in the discipline on her first qualifying heat, beating Ernestina Ávila of Valnora by over four seconds.

Sohlberg's record, however, would have to serve as a consolation prize for the delegation and, specifically, the short track team. Much like Hermann Sohlberg's dominant cross country sprint run, winning every one of his qualifying heats before missing out on a medal in the final, fellow short track skater Risto Vuohensilta was the latest Abovian not-quite. As his teammate's brother had done, Vuohensilta had won all but one of the elimination rounds going into the final, setting consistently quick times throughout the competition, any of which would have been enough to clench the gold medal for Team Abovian Union.

And yet, heartbreak would ensue, as the Lintulahtian's inspired bid for the victory ended much the same as that of his compatriot. Vuohensilta became the third Abovian in as many finals to finish outside of the medal podium all the while having done well enough in previous heats to take home the prize, as a misstep and then a slip cost him valuable seconds in the closing laps of the 1000m race. As he crossed the line, the 25 year old was visibly distraught. Nevertheless, his performance rung out throughout Aboveland, bringing the often-conflicted nation yet another glimmer of hope from an international sporting competition.

AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:03 pm

RP cutoff. Day 9 results.
Last edited by Kelssek on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teremaran Olympics Delegation
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2017

Postby Teremaran Olympics Delegation » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Clayquot, Kelssek

“Do you have a charger for my laptop?” Andro asked, exasperated, waiving his laptop furiously.

“What model?” The storekeeper asked. A look of befuddled amusement shone on his face as he leaned against his arm behind the counter.

“It’s a Hewlett-Packard. Pretty standard. So do you have a charger?”

The storekeeper smirked, glancing behind him up at the analog wall clock. “I might. Hang on.”

He stood languidly and turned back towards his store wall. Taking a quick look, he shrugged and responded, “Nope. I probably don’t have one.”

Andro frowned. “Probably? Or definitely?”

The shopkeeper shrugged again. “What’s the difference? It’s almost closing time. Did you need something?”

The Falkasian’s jaw clenched instinctively as blood rushed into his face. He was quickly overcome by a fervent sweat.

“I asked…” he began, forcing the words out slowly. “I asked… for a charging cable. For an HP. Do you, or do you not, have the cable?”

The clock chimed.

“Closing time! The door’s over there. Be happy to help you tomorrow.” The storekeeper exclaimed, jumping onto his feet and quickly locking the register. “Can you flip the sign on your way out?”

Andro stood deathly still. He could not comprehend what was occurring.

“No.” He mumbled. “You can do it yourself.”

“Yeah, sure, whatever. Thanks for coming in! Hope you find your pencil sharpener or whatever it is you’re looking for. Pleasure doing business with you.”

“Goodbye.” The Falkasian replied, exhaling slowly as he turned and walked out the door.

As he stepped from the artificial warmth of the store back back out onto the city streets, the evening chill hit him like a broadside. The crisp air caught the beads of sweat on his forehead and instantly sent his teeth chattering. With his errant hand, he tightened his knit scarf closer to capture the heat.

There was not a single store in town which carried his specific charging cable. He doubted many of them even carried spare charging cables, let alone electronics larger than a cellular phone. Short of ordering one online and hoping it arrived in time, which was a far cry, he had only one other option left. And it was an option he abjectly dreaded.

Namestikov reached into his pocket and pulled out the floorplan guide to his building of the Athlete’s Village. He’d have to pay Koepller a visit.

RP courtesy of Falkasia

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 pm

The author NN Zhou provided some insight into her thoughts on the prospect of Prince Ulbrecht of Wochaystein marrying Omugaba [Princess] Mariam of Banija, saying: "I have the impression that the rumors of this proposal is not without basis, however, the Imperial Household of the Wochaysteiner dieresis so far has kept mum on the mutter. I suspect that House Garver's possible moves reflect a gradual but eventually seismic shift of sensibilities regarding Wochaystein's insularity."

Rumors of other potential marriage candidates include a daughter of the Archon of Arcesius that the Wochaysteiner Crown Prince Imperial Hannes Romilda turned down. Said daughter eventually married an Antipatrine diplomat and noble named Aspass Artopeus (Aspasius Artopoeus).

With this in mind, let us take a look at the current status of the Dieresis-Holy Empire of Wochaystein, its emperor and its heir apparent.

Wochaystein

The self-styled Holy Empire is a remnant of a much larger entity that once spanned a significant portion of Ustaynga. In the 18th Century, Diarcesia incorporated it as a dieresis (administrative division) by the Treaty of Accession. Religion and imperial piety has a strong grip in this corner of the Monarchy. Its Kaiser, although devoid of political power and sovereignty, continues to be a unifying figure among the common people. He is also considered the chief priest of its variant of Christianity, the Church of Wochaystein.

The Emperor

The Kaiser Hannes II Rochus is a product of the modern era and is the current head of the Diarcesian-installed House Garver. He came to prominence during the early 2000s when he led an expedition to uncover an ancient library. This building, dating from the time of the Kingdom of the Zuidrians, a predecessor state of Wochaystein, preserved a cache of obscure tomes that the future emperor translated to the common language. As emperor, he is the symbolic patron of many science initiatives as well as German and Diarcesian Latin scholarship.

The Heir Apparent

Hannes Romilda bears the traditional title of "Crown Prince Imperial" by virtue of being the oldest son. Recently, a change to the succession law to absolute primogeniture made his sister Princess Lilli to be second-in-line to the throne. In the unprecedented event of a woman inheriting the imperial title, a male priest will be appointed to represent her in discharging the emperor's religious duties.

The Crown Prince Imperial is married to the Prince Patrician Astraea Ruth Ðardanexia of Syagros. She is the daughter of the Syagrot Emperor Tōmā Servus IX, and her siblings include the Syagrot Crown Prince Vulcan Alēxxīus and the Prince Patrician Prince Patrician Europa Atalanta (OOC: Vulcan isn't emperor as of this post's OOC date).

Like Hannes Romilda's father, he has a background in literature. The Crown Prince is also skilled in blackletter calligraphy. He currently lives in the imperial palace in Zuidren.

"We have no reason to believe this happened in a dream or is some sort of strange, paranormal phenomena," the detective said. "But it is something that has to be investigated further."

The two young half-sibling were reportedly once distant to each other and only developed a bond after their shared parent's death. One of the them had spent a few months corresponding with the detective while the other attended college. The detective is known to be friendly with both of them.

A coroner's report has not been released as of yet, though she did state that Michael Dudhurham died from heart disease. He was 68 years old.

Additional Reporting by Podaler Charumen

The figure skater Eugenius Fiddler stopped reading the book for now. He didn't really have much time left. He was facing the prospect of not getting any sleep and not being able to practice. If he keeps it up, he might be prone to committing mistakes once it's time to skate. He was hoping to avoid those pitfalls by staying on top of his physical and mental fitness.

Neat, he thought.

The book he was reading was NN Zhou's The Sign of the Forgotten Cottage. It is one of the recent bestsellers in Diarcesia, and it's being translated into many different languages.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports