NATION

PASSWORD

World Lacrosse Championships 36 - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:51 pm

Head Coach Allen Budaye, sitting with his assistant coaches in an Abanhfleft film session the day after Banija's 22-4 quarterfinal blowout victory over Kriegiersien

The quarterfinal was probably Banija's best game of the tournament. The team had really been flying high, but the Natanians & Nosts matchup in the Round of 16 had brought this team back down to Earth. Don't get me wrong- a 12-6 victory is a strong, solid victory. Natanians & Nosts never led, and the only time the score was level was when it was 0-0 for the first 3:33 of the match. So, essentially, Banija led the game from beginning to end, never relinquished the lead once we took a grip, and we won the game by a healthy margin without ever really having to get out of second gear.

And yet, in the long, winding chase for our first WLC championship, there were worries. Why couldn't the team truly put distance between themselves and Natanians & Nosts? You'd think blowing out a team like that would be a pre-requisite, rather than never really looking that great getting past them. But Budaye wasn't worried. He thought it was overblown. Once you got to the knockout stages of any tournament, especially a tournament where it's "one and done", Budaye always thought it doesn't really matter how you look, how fancy you make it, or anything. All that matters, is getting a win and surviving until the next day.

The criticisms were not that loud, of course- Banijan lacrosse was going into a WLC knockout stages with as much confidence as we've ever had, considering we finally beat our rival and bogeyman, Abanhfleft, during the group stages. Still- the nerves were there, and the media was always looking to criticize. That's why Allen Budaye was so happy that the match went well in the Quarterfinals. This was a potentially tough quarterfinal matchup against Kriegiersien. They were a side that showed their mental toughness by eliminating the host nation, Sylestone, a round before. Banija were deserved favorites, yes, but nothing was guaranteed.

Banija went into the Kriegiersien match and steamrolled. A 5-0 lead after the first quarter lead turned into a 14-2 lead at halftime, and the route was on against their opponents. The second half was more of the same of the first, with the Banijans really only stepping off the gas pedal in the fourth. The score was 21-4 at the start of the fourth quarter, and then the Banijans really slowed it down, trying to not be accused of running up the score on their opponent. The final score was 22-4, so Banija just scored one goal in the fourth quarter compared to Kriegiersien's none. The criticism from the media, for once, was silent.

But of course, luck would have it that awaiting them in the semifinal would be Abanhfleft. In fairness, there wasn't much difference to facing Abanhfleft or Sarzonia at this point, both big-time rivals in this sport. But Abanhfleft are the champs. We are all that stand between them and the final to give them a chance to get a ring for the other hand. While they lost their final two games of the group stage, they roared in the knockouts, winning 24-6 in a Round of 16 blowout, then in a low-scoring defensive battle against Sarzonia, dropped the other five-time world champions by a score of 4-2.

"Of course we'd have to play them- again." Allen Budaye said. "Not the matchup that I wanted, admittedly. They are a tough team to play against. Try to beat them twice in one tournament? Impossible. And yet, here we are, being asked just that exact question. Can we do that for a place in the Final?"

"Coach, we've got film. We've got film of our last match against Abanhfleft, and we've got film of their game against Sarzonia. Which do you want to watch?" Said an assistant coach.

"Throw on the Fleft v. Sarz game." Budaye responded. "That's one we haven't seen. We can see what sort of adjustments they made after their losses to both us and Mapletish." And the coaching staff, looking to give their players every possible tactical advantage that they possibly could, took furious notes. Notes on the positioning of attackers. Talking about the tendencies of players. Talking about how they'd try to get forward, different ways they'd try to organize their attack. And, of course, looking for different ways to attack the holes on the Abanhfleft. Those holes are small, almost miniscule, and they close quickly- but every defense has holes. Although Abanhfleft fills them faster than anybody else in the sport- it's a big reason why they have five titles. The only way to beat a team like them is to have almost impeccable offensive coordination, to have the speed and precision necessary to break them down and score goals.

After the film session, they complied their notes and got ready to get to the training ground. Once they did, Budaye blew his whistle and gathered his players. "Hey guys." He told his players. "Remember- this team is a great team, this team is a special team. There are only four teams left- and we are one of them. Savor the moment. Enjoy the opportunity, you never know when something like this will come again. Our nation, of all nations, knows how hard it is to get to this moment and succeed here. Remember what we're doing here. You want to seize this moment. You don't want Sylestone to be yet another location in a long list of almosts for the national team. Let's have this country be the place where we reset the standard, where we create a new bar for the heights of Banijan lacrosse."

He looked around, and spoke again. "OK, so we have gone through our film session. And we are going to change things up a little bit against Abanhfleft- we can't simply run the same gameplan against the defending champions twice and expect it to go well. We're changing things up. We're gonna pull out every last stop to win this game- it's a motherfucking semifinal. Leave no stone unturned." And he went over elements of their tactical strategy with them. He was determined. Could Banija pull off the unthinkable, and beat their hated rivals twice in the same tournament to reach the WLC 36 Final?
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Lacrosse Lamentations
with Aisling Keane

Oh no. This is it. I am actually legitimately literally scared right now. This isn't even funny anymore guys. This team is making me go through a rollercoaster of emotions and I don't like it at all! I liked it better when we were either clearly great or clearly shite. I don't like it when our team is in this quantum state of "sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit". Because I just don't know which team is gonna fucking show up.

Case in point, the quarterfinals against Sarzonia. I was deathly afraid of watching this game because, let's face it, it was literally setting the stage for some sort of heartbreak for Abanhfleft. Any sort of heartbreak. Those of you who know what I'm talking about, you know what I'm talking about. Are you kidding me? Playing Sarzonia after the Amazons seemingly finally got their act together and got back to their old "prolific" scoring selves? You just know that that game had either one-point loss or blowout loss for Abanhfleft written all over it. Sarzonia! The freaking Stars! The five-time champions before anyone else even had the idea of winning more than three! You're telling me that Abanhfleft are gonna maintain the form that they had back when we were playing Saint-Domingue? This is the point where I ask you what you're smoking and then ask for some of it because it must be some really good shite.

But getting back to my original point, which was that the chances of the shite Abanhfleft team turning up against Sarzonia was much, much higher than the chances of the great Abanhfleft team. Well, I say great, but if you put this team up against any of the other Amazons teams out there they would get beaten to a pulp. Anyway, it was just so highly unlikely that Abanhfleft were gonna turn up against Sarzonia. And, in a way, they did indeed not turn up. But they also did turn up in a way, which is just like the Schrodinger's team scenario I mentioned earlier. But seriously though. 4-2? I thought this was lacrosse, not football! That is literally the lowest scoring match of lacrosse that I have ever seen in my life. And you just know that this is an entirely deserved result, a fair one given all the circumstances. I've heard of a defensive masterclass but this is just ridiculous! Oh yeah, for sure our defense was on point today. Sarzonia really should have scored more than the two goals that they got at the end of the day. Conversely, Abanhfleft were also better than the 4 goals that they posted. Not by much, mind you, but still better. A truly fair score for this game would have been 6-4 in favour of Abanhfleft, or maybe 8-6 if I'm being generous to both teams. But I'm telling you, the standard of lacrosse being played by our team right now is absolute dross, and somehow they've conned some of the other teams into playing similar dross whenever they come up against us.

But guess who we're coming up against now that we've somehow managed to beat Sarzonia despite playing some of the most atrocious lax you've ever seen. I can't even believe other teams see it as a defensive masterclass. All I saw out there was a team missing a hell of a lot of chances and somehow getting lucky more times than not. Not gonna lie, the defense really did come good for us here. No way our luck is gonna hold out for one more game. Just no way. Especially when that next game is a semifinal against Banija. Yes, Banija. The eternal rivals. The only team left in this competition to beat us. And it was a mighty fine beating too. 8-6 ain't nothing to laugh at. They played us when we were shit and got a narrow win out of it. Now that we're playing them again, and they're having the time of their lives and we're still trying to figure out this Schrodinger's team of ours? Yeah, no, that's Banija going to the final right there. I'm not even joking! I'm fucking serious! I told you, there's no way our luck is going to hold for as long as it has right now. It's got to end anytime soon, and it's going to end at the hands of Banija. They beat us before. They will beat us again. I always loved the bronze medal more anyway.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 am

HUElavia Upsets Vangaziland En Route to Final Four!

Vangaziland 8-12 HUElavia
Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk

For the second time in HUElavian Lacrosse History, Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos were participating in the Quarter-Finals of the World Lacrosse Championships. Compared to the Championship Winning team of 8 years ago, this team still had some of those players, but the youngsters were hungry to make a name for themselves. For this game, a spot in the Semi-Finals was on the line once again, this time facing off against a powerhouse in Multiverse Lacrosse: No. 2 Vangaziland. They were the Group D winners with a perfect 6-0 record, and were coming off an 8-2 smothering of Silvedania. The A-Team was on the field for the game, with the team determined to make history at Ground of Dunkirk (43,000) in Dunkirk once again, all while a large amount of HUElavians in the stands cheering on the team.

HUElavia went on the offense from the get-go and did not let go of the throttle. Each quarter was a see-saw battle as both teams would go goal to goal in scoring. Each quarter had the same scoreline of 3-2, favoring HUElavia in each period. Borhanson got a hat-trick to her name during the match, while Mitt and Klavan got two goals each, and one goal for Vestik. For HUElavia, Meireles de Lima and Agron both got hat-tricks to their name in the match, while a pair of goals were scored by Sulca and Rodriguez, and lone goals were scored by Bilatan-Manlangit and Ching-Lacanilao. Despite efforts of Vangaziland looking to score and bring the game closer, the defense was stellar, giving checks left and right to dispossess the ball and send it far for counter attacks. At the end, HUElavia outlasted Vangaziland, and the crowd erupted when the referee blew her whistle, as the bench poured out to the pitch to celebrate with the players for their valiant efforts in their upset victory, and for advancing to the Semi-Finals of the WLC for the 2nd time in 3 tournaments. They did take a moment to show respect and congratulate Vangaziland for their efforts in the match.

Now, HUElavia is playing against Cassadaigua, the No. 5 (albeit listed as 6th) team in Lacrosse. HUElavia is the lowest ranked team remaining in the competition, and they look to pull off another upset victory. Regardless of what happens, HUElavia will finish off playing 10 matches in the competition, due to the 3rd Place match existing. The match will be played at Sentient Oval (29,275), in Kirkham, with an expected amount of 45% of the crowd being HUElavians present in the stadium. The A-Team will play once again, with the fans flocking to cheer them on, while praying for the team's success. The team is also working hard with their training and studying film to understand and play well against Cassadaigua. Here's to what can be another historic day, not only in HUElavian Lacrosse, but in HUElavian Sport History.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!
Last edited by HUElavia on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:26 am

Is the tune changing now?
By Kenzie Sherman, Concord Heights Times

Winning and success can often heal wounds on a sports team. It is not always that way, as sometimes you will get that professional athlete who simply does not like her or his current situation, and they demand a trade. That is often on the domestic level though, as when it comes to the international teams, you expect to see national pride winning out over everything else. Sarah Cortez is in her first tour of duty with the lacrosse team, and it is well documented that she did not start well. However, beyond the opening day loss to Sylestone, the Fillies have not lost a game. They are undefeated when they are on the same page as to what time the game will begin. That did not get Cortez on the right foot, and it was not easy to replace Michelle Carter, who served as the head coach of this team for many years. Carter was well liked, as was her assistant, Heather McMahon, so when Carter opted to step down from the international level, and McMahon was very interested in inheriting the head job, it was not a popular decision to many to not choose McMahon.

Sarah Cortez, as mentioned here before, was not a domestic level coach and instead was and is the head of the youth development program within Cassadaigua. She has not been in the program long enough to where many of the current players would have had experience with her. I mentioned before the example of 21-year old Kristen Gratton, the only player on the current team who did go through the program while Cortez was in charge of it, but that was six years ago. Gratton, who in fairness, was interviewed for the story immediately after the first game missed start time debacle, credited Cortez for her coaching ability but mentioned a miscue of Cortez’s in reserving enough hotel rooms. Cortez has made a few other slips of the tongue to the media since then, and that is not winning her over many fans. However, at the same time, let’s face it, the team is undefeated since the opening day mishap. Cortez is doing quite well with game management, and we have seen less and less of the Jessica Crockett-organized huddles immediately after a stoppage play where some believed Crockett may have been going behind the back of some of Cortez’s game plans. Crockett has always denied that aspect.

It does appear that Sarah Cortez has a weakness that needs to be addressed: the other stuff that comes with being a coach. She is a good game manager, and seems to put players in the position to win. She is not good at the other stuff. Isn’t that why we have assistant coaches, though? Shouldn’t we really be criticizing the current assistant coach, Katie Jones? Why didn’t Jones remind Cortez that she was wrong with the game time for the Sylestone match? Why hasn’t Jones worked to heal the wounds between coach and her experienced captain? Is Katie Jones simply going along for the ride, or is she a Sarah Cortez puppet? Jones was also someone who worked in the youth development program and does not have any head coaching experience at the professional level. That experience is limited to high school and a couple years at New Lakeland University before joining Cortez with the youth program.

Right now, we do know one thing, and that is that the Fillies have made it to the semifinals, coming off a very impressive 18-8 win over Baker Park at Carson Stadium. This will send the team to match against HUElavia, with a title match against Banija or Abanhfleft very possible. Credit Cortez, and credit Crockett and the team for this. There has been a lot of drama with this team, and everything is not better. Yet Cortez is continuing to coach well, and the team is getting results. The bottom line is this: these off the field issues are not affecting the play of the team in any way. Are things getting better? Well, for the first time, cameras caught a high five between Cortez and Crockett when Crockett scored with 0.4 seconds left in the first quarter to give the team a 5-3 lead at the time. While the pink and black carried the momentum from there, it was a big goal at the time. Is it a small victory? All of that hangs in the balance.

The team from HUElavia cannot be overlooked, as they just knocked off Vangaziland, 12-8, meaning the three of the remaining four teams are from Group C. We are obviously the one that was not. Some people would love that showdown with Banija to see which nation could actively hold three major international titles at the same time. Banija is currently the World Cup and International Basketball Championship title holders, while we are the current World Bowl and World Baseball Classic title holders. Only us in the media should be thinking about that right now. As HUElavia is very much capable of spoiling that. Watch that other semifinal, by the way. Banija and Abanhfleft have built up a pretty good rivalry in lacrosse.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 pm

HUElavia 6-14 Cassadaigua @ Sentient Oval, Kirkham
Abanhfleft 16-6 Banija @ Avondale International Sports Stadium, Avondale

3PPO
HUElavia - Banija @ Chamberley Institute of Sport, Chamberley

Final
Cassadaigua - Abanhfleft @ The Bay Reserve, Betham
Last edited by Sylestone on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Would this be the sixth star?
By Kenzie Sherman, Concord Heights Times

When Cassadaigua won International Basketball Championships 13, they became the first nation in history to win the World Cup, World Bowl, World Baseball Classic, World Cup of Hockey, and the International Basketball Championships. Now, some nations will have different criteria as to what they consider the five biggest competitions out there, but I think you would find that a majority of nations would list those as the five top ones. This is when talking about team sports, and professional sports. Not that Cassadaigua hasn’t also picked up their share of collegiate or individual titles. That is an achievement that no one else has been able to match, even now, a long time since that IBC. After hitting the fifth star, which was the IBC, many Cassadagans wondered what would be the sixth star. What would be that next big title for us to end up grabbing? The nearly unanimous answer to that was the World Lacrosse Championships. Cassadaigua has participated often in this tournament, but has never made it to the championship game. Now, for the first time, the Fillies will have the chance to play for the title, and perhaps get what we see as the sixth biggest tournament in all of international sports.

This has been an interesting ride, hasn’t it? Starting with the decision of Michelle Carter to not return to the international team, and the passing up the expected replacement, Heather McMahon, to someone in Sarah Cortez that was not as well known domestically. Then, there was the drama surrounding Game 1, and then the player bencings, then the repeal of the benchings. Many championship teams, or any team that gets this far will talk about amazing chemistry that they had from the beginning. With this team, that has clearly not been the case, but after the loss to the host nation, Cassadaigua can now make the host nation memorable not for their failure to know what time the first game began, but from where they hoisted the trophy. Yes, that would be an interesting script, to say the least. It would have been interesting if our opponent had been Banija here, given that they are probably the closest nation right to duplicating our “five star” accomplishment, and they too have not won this title. But, instead, it will Abanhfleft, a nation we are very familiar with in most sports, too. They just don’t have the diversity of trophies in their trophy case that the Banijas too. The Fleftics have won the WLC on multiple occasions, but will certainly feel there is room for another trophy.

To get to this game, Cassadaigua played a fantastic game over HUElavia, with a 14-6 win utilizing a game plan that saw Jessica Crockett be used as a decoy more often than not. Seeing their opponents focus their defense more on Crockett as well as the midfield play of Lexi Looper, Sarah Cortez used Sierra Morganstern in Looper’s role for much of the first half and Stacey Proctor in Crockett’s role, and this resulted in Proctor scoring six of the nine first half goals of the Fillies. Crockett had one as Cassadaigua held the 9-4 intermission advantage. And if there was anyone thinking that Cortez was doing this a punishment to Crockett, you could clearly see that was not the case by the facial expressions of Crockett on the field in that she was getting a thrill of seeing Proctor step up in the way that she did. After the game Crockett said that, “coach had a great game plan today, it really worked well!” Wait, someone replay that please. What is going on here?

The smiles between Cortez and Crockett were becoming more common, and the attitudes of the players seemingly coming together, with their coach for the first time. In the second half, Crockett was again the featured player, and scored three second half goals as the Fillies cruised to the 14-6 victory. As the team prepares for Abanhfleft, the Fleftics will have to carefully look at what happened here today to see that there are more players on this team that can hurt you. Now, the team goes to Betham to see if they can get one more win. If they can, then history will be made with our first lacrosse title. And the sixth star.

What an amazing final chapter it could potentially be.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:52 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Lacrosse Lamentations
with Aisling Keane

Don't do it, Aisling. Don't fall for it. Don't fall for the blatantly obvious trap. You really expect me to believe that this team can go all the way to the final? Not only that, but beat Cassadaigua for that record-breaking sixth championship? You're having a fucking laugh, whoever you are. Stop playing with my emotions like that, team! Stop being this Schrodinger's team! Stop defying my expectations! Stop playing good when I want you to be shit! I predicted another Banija victory in the semifinals because they beat the Amazons before. Why did you girls have to make them activate the trap card and go "NO U"? I actually put money on Banija beating us, you know!

Oh, man. Now I don't know what to say anymore. Okay, first of all, you still haven't convinced me to believe that we're gonna win this again, despite all the others they may have gotten back on their side. This is still very much a team liable to choke at the actual final hurdle that is the World Lacrosse Championship Final. There is just no way, no way at all, that we will beat Cassadaigua. They are for all intents and purposes a much better team than the one we have. This Fillies team will absolutely walk over every single title-winning Abanhfleft team, except for maybe the team that won WLC 35. But I'm absolutely sure that even if it's the Abanhfleft team that beat Banija in the semifinal that turns up against Cassadaigua in the final, they're still gonna get beat. I'm just bloody sure of it.

So how the fuck did we manage to beat the same team that beat us in the group stage? To be honest, I have no clue. Absolutely blooming clueless. I really have no idea at all what just happened, how it happened, or why we were the ones who benefited. These two teams were pretty much the same ones that faced off against each other in the group stage, the one where Banija emerged as 8-6 winners. It wouldn't have been beyond the realm of possibility to expect a similar result, or maybe a greater margin of victory on the part of the Banijans. After all, they did beat us before, and they should have a lot more tape of us playing. Everything would suggest that this had "Banija wins" written all over it.

It just doesn't make any sense why we beat them, which in a perverse way is why it actually makes sense. All right, now hear me out. I said before that this team was Schrodinger's team, right? Nobody knows if we should expect the good team or the shite team to come out and play. And I guess that's what we took advantage of. The good team turned up against Nyowani Kitara, and then the shite team played the rest of the group stage. Then the good team showed up once again for the Round of 16 game against Saint-Domingue before the shite team went up against Sarzonia again but somehow managed to win the game with a scoreline that looks more at home in football than lacrosse. And then Banija. I guess it was the good team that showed up because the shite team would have been demolished by this Banijan side. I mean frankly, the defense has been the only thing in this team that's been good throughout the whole tournament, and it's not surprising that they turned up once again for this game.

So after all this time, it all boils down to whether the attack will perform or not. Because, like I said, the defense is the one bright spot this team has ever had. We're set on the defense right now; no need to do the R-word to our defense at the moment. It's the attack that I'm worried about, and deathly so at that. If they turn up, we might have a fighting chance of making this a close game, but the Fillies are still gonna edge it anyway, even despite the best efforts of our defense. If our attack falters... I don't really need to say any more, do I?
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:09 am

Head Coach Allen Budaye, on the sideline of the Banija v. Abanhfleft game

This was a loss that was going to hurt for a long while. So much hype going into the game- against the opponent, considering the record of Banija, considering the Atlantian Oceania title won earlier in the year. And for the Banijans to go out like this- a repeat of old mistakes, yet another knockout stage shellacking at the hands of their archrivals, Abanhfleft- well, this was a loss that was going to sting.

As the final whistle blew, you could see it on the faces of the Banijans. Abanhfleft, who's offense has been hot and cold for so much of this tournament, had come alive in the second half. Banija had actually taken a 6-4 lead into halftime at this game, battling through the first and second quarters of this game to come out ahead, even so slightly. Of course a 2 goal lead at halftime is not indicative of a game in this sport being over. But a small advantage, a slight advantage, to instill belief in Banijans that this miracle of miracles could happen.

But that was not meant to be. Abanhfleft's trademark offense roared back to life in the second half, particularly in the third quarter. They dominated the Banijans, and at the end of the period, a 6-4 Banijan lead had been transformed to a 13-6 Banijan deficit, thanks to an absolute flurry of Fleftic. That, of course, crushed the spirits and heart of the Banijans, and Abanhfleft added three more to turn the game into a 16-6 clinc on why, exactly, Abanhfleft were the five-time world champions, and why Banija were the zero-time world champions.

Budaye bent over slightly and put his hands on his knees. Banijan players were standing, looking simply shell shocked at the domination that Abanhfleft had just handed them. Budaye went to the Fleftic coach, Blaine Mailloux, and shook his hand, congratulating him on the win and wishing him luck in the Final. Budaye knew it was going to be a long press conference. He spoke to his players after the game. He told them to keep their heads up high. He told them to be proud of what they've accomplished this cycle. They were champions of Atlantian Oceania. They beat Abanhfleft, in the group stages at least. They won the group of death. This was the third consecutive tournament where they had won at least one knockout stage game. He told them that it would be important for them to go out and make the travelling faithful proud at the bronze medal game in a few days.

He then went to post-game media availability. He was, as expected, asked how the gap between Abanhfleft and Banija managed to stay so large in the biggest games. "Look- the gap between our team and their team is not 10 goals." He told reporters. "Yes, we lost 16-6. Yes, they were deserved winners- that second half they played, it's the best half I've seen anyone play all tournament. Full credit to Coach Mailloux for getting his players motivated and ready, even in a title defense, in that semifinal. They executed their gameplan in the 3rd quarter particularly to perfection, and they deserve to be in the Final. But we've proven, during this tournament, that there is no more insurmountable gap between Banija and the world's elite in this sport. We are part of it. We belong. And we showed it, first in Sarzonia, and now in Sylestone."

"Abanhfleft, of course, is the class of this sport. They are the goal. They do just enough, to prove themselves better than the rest. They are a dyansty deserving of the title. And we want to catch them. And believe me, we desperately want to catch them. But although the gap is small, that gap is still there. And it is the hardest to close. First, we've got a bronze medal game against a great HUElavia squad. We've played them in a number of important games over the past few tournaments, so that will be an excellent test of how we respond to adversity. Then, players will go back to their clubs. And the expectations will rise. We will do whatever we can to get better. We're going to feel the hurt of this loss. And that will fuel us. We are going to leave no stone unturned, we're going to move heaven and Earth, to find out not only what went wrong, but to fix this, so we do not feel this pain again at WLC 37."

He answered a few more questions, and then did his final statement. He thanked Banija's fans for attending the tournament, thanked those who watched at home, and told people that he would be ready for the next tournament, three years from now.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm

3PPO
HUElavia 6-10 Banija @ Chamberley Institute of Sport, Chamberley

Final
Cassadaigua 10-16 Abanhfleft @ The Bay Reserve, Betham
Last edited by Sylestone on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports