NATION

PASSWORD

World Lacrosse Championships 36 - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vangaziland
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am

Gloria Azulasdottir sat down with assistant coach Sheila Hancourt of the Vangaziland Royals. The Vannish reporter took a deep dive into the mind of Vannish lacrosse’s up and coming coach. Fans across the Empire were wondering what the Vannish lacrosse team has planned to get their team back onto top form.

“So let’s discuss the elephant in the room”, Gloria started. “Vangaziland made it to the WLC finals last year. They walked away with a silver finish and ranked second. Yet many critics still criticize the team’s play last season as lackluster. What was the problem and how did you fix this?”

The pair stood on the field of the stadium called the Ground of Dunkirk. It was located close to the Melville Rainforest and amongst the many agricultural grasslands of the area. “Our play was just uninspired”, Coach Hancourt said. “We had aging players and an even older playbook. We got to the finals off of experience, but we had no real hope of winning the chip. This year we’re trying to keep things fresh. We have new players, a new captain and a different outlook.”

Gloria smiled and nodded as Sheila spoke, holding the microphone to her and moving it back in her own direction as she followed up on that answer. “It seems as if that hew outlook is really doing something for the offense. The Royals have scored more than any other team and have the top goal differential. How did your team accomplish that?”

“It starts in practice”, said the coach. “Game-planning, prepwork both physical and mental. Even just getting players into a more aggressive mind state before the gameday itself... All of this sets players to come in ready to fight. Of course it’s more than practice. We have to execute on gameday. We have a lot of experience on the squad. Stella is a great captain and a true leader. She motivates everyone and also helps set them up by her play as well.”

“Speaking of Stella, she’s had some big games”, Gloria said while shaking her head to toss the hair back from around her eyes. “What has led to her success?”

“Confidence. She’s loving the lead role on the field. She’s also been playing against tough opposition for some time.” Sheila seemed to smile internally as she spoke on the team captain. The coach was proud of her players. “The 14 goal performance to start the season was just part of her story. I know she has her sights set on at least getting back to the Championship. They all want to win, really.”

“Let’s talk about some other teams”, stated the journalist as she lifted a dark pair of square framed glasses up along her nose. “Who are some teams you expect to face deep into the playoffs.”

“I’d have to mention the ladies from Cassadaigua”, Hancourt answered. “They really look to be in top form. I can see them making some surprise upsets against the top ranked teams in this tournament. There are some issues behind the scenes, but the effort on the field is through the roof. They’ve had starters like Jessica Crockett benched and still pulled off strong wins.”

“What other teams do you think have a great chance of winning it all?”

“Sarzonia is a team of try-hards”, responded Coach Hancourt. “They’re that other ‘number 2 ranked’ team”, she added while making air quotes with her fingers. “This is a team we’d all love to face. We need to see which team is ranked where and sort of the order of things. A tie in the top three isn’t really... Aesthetically pleasing.”

Gloria chuckled a little. “How do you feel about the Banija-Abanhfleft match? How do you see that going?”

“That will be a good one. It could really go either way. Both teams are extremely professional. They would probably be the favorites to face each other in the championship. A loss for either of them will be tough. They’ll end up with a tougher playoff group.” Sheila paused to look around the stadium before continuing. “I feel like the Banijans are really thinking about past defeats to the Fleftics. I feel like they’re going to really fight. But the Fleftics.. Well you can’t count them out.”

“Give us a prediction”, Gloria pressed. “Who wins and by what scoreline?”

“Hmm...” Sheila seemed lost in thought. “Banija wins, 11-8.”

“That’s not a bad scoreline”, quipped the reporter. “I may have to place money on that.” The pair laughed. “Well what do you think of Sylestone?”

“It’s a beautiful country, an island of geographic diversity”, the coach continued. “A bunch of us managed to explore of the little rainforest on the edge of this town. It was really cool. We also spent time along the bright teal waters of Betham Bay, not far from the last stadium we played at.”

“I enjoyed spending time here as well”, stated the journalist. “It’s all relatively close to Esportivan Vangaziland as well. Directly west and just past Cyborg Holland. Not terribly far from the Northern Mainland as well.” The latter territory was on line with Esportivan Vangaziland but north and just outside of the Esportivan map.

“Well best of luck to you coach. I hope you have a great post season. Take care.”

“Thanks.” Sheila nodded, smiled, shook the reporter’s hand and walked off to rejoin her team.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Group A
Squidroidia 2-4 Havynwilde
Juvencus 6-10 Cassadaigua
Silvedania 2-6 Sylestone
Saint-Domingues bye

Group A                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Sylestone 6 4 2 34 28 +6 8
2 Cassadaigua 5 4 1 52 24 +28 8

3 Havynwilde 5 3 2 39 59 −20 6
4 Silvedania 5 3 2 39 35 +4 6
5 Saint-Domingues 5 2 3 58 44 +14 4
6 Squidroidia 5 1 4 20 38 −18 2
7 Juvencus 5 1 4 28 42 −14 2

Group B
Soldera 11-13 Qzvarkian Qaz (Game went to Overtime)
Kohnhead 8-2 Space
Sarzonia 14-6 Qasden
St Saratoga bye

Group B                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Sarzonia 5 5 0 76 33 +43 10
2 Kohnhead 5 3 2 50 28 +22 6
3 Qzvarkian Qaz 5 3 2 48 63 −15 6
4 St Saratoga 5 2 3 45 41 +4 4
5 Space 5 2 3 32 37 −5 4
6 Qasden 6 2 4 33 62 −29 4
7 Soldera 5 1 4 29 49 −20 2

Group C
HUElavia 18-10 Northwest Kalactin
Banija 8-6 Abanhfleft
Mapletish 8-4 Nyowani Kitara
Cascadia bye

Group C                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Banija 5 5 0 70 22 +48 10
2 Abanhfleft 5 4 1 58 22 +36 8
3 HUElavia 5 3 2 54 44 +10 6
4 Mapletish 5 3 2 46 32 +14 6

5 Nyowani Kitara 6 2 4 38 68 −30 4
6 Northwest Kalactin 5 1 4 34 60 −26 2
7 Cascadia 5 0 5 14 66 −52 0

Group D
Baker Park 22-4 Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Smosh Games 6-12 Flexanewmega
Natanians and Nosts 2-10 Kriegiersien
Vangaziland bye

Group D                    Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Vangaziland 5 5 0 106 24 +82 10
2 Baker Park 5 5 0 78 18 +60 10
3 Kriegiersien 6 4 2 60 60 0 8

4 Flexanewmega 5 2 3 36 66 −30 4
5 Smosh Games 5 1 4 24 60 −36 2
6 Natanians and Nosts 5 1 4 22 44 −22 2
7 Royal Kingdom of Quebec 5 0 5 20 74 −54 0
Last edited by Sylestone on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 pm

Head Coach Allen Budaye, on the sideline of the Banija v. Abanhfleft game

The atmosphere going into this game was electric. The game had been circled on Banija's calendar ever since the schedule was released- this was a game between two powers in this sport. Between a Banijan team that wanted to prove, to its critics in general and the multiverse, that they were not scared of anybody, that they could truly conquer all comers. There were two obstacles Banija had seemingly never been able to climb in this sport- defeating Abanfleft, and winning the WLCs.

They'd done everything else. They were the reigning champions of Atlantian Oceania. Banijan Lacrosse League squads were regularly some of the most dominant in IDLO competition. And they had won a Champion's Cup, way back in the day. But beating Abanhfleft? It wasn't happening. We did it at WLC 22 once- but they beat us twice in the group stages of that tournament, and then dominated us in the semifinals of the same tournament. Abanhfleft has gone on to win this tournament 5 times since then- and we have still yet to win it.

That's why Banijans were so focused on this game. They knew what it would mean to their psyche. But Abanhfleft were the world number ones for a reason- because they had an immensely and incredibly talented squad. Because they were the defending champs. And although Banija came into this match in great form, the two teams were in a low-scoring, intense battle for the ages. Neither team could take more than a one goal lead without the other responding. Hard hitting, close knit.

Banija was finally able to pull away late. 2 minutes left, game tied at 6 goals a piece, Mariama Jallow scoring the 7th goal of the match for the underdogs to give the team the lead, and give their excited fanbase a boost. It wouldn't take long to score again- just 25 seconds later, Bunyoro RSC midfielder Karafa Jarju scored the 8th and final goal of the match for team Banija, going between the legs of Fleftic goaltender Jarred Pigram. A simple group stage win? Yes. But it meant so much more to the Banijans, to finally triumph over a team that had given them nightmares for so many tournaments.

They celebrated greatly. Budaye hugged his assistants before walking across to shake his opposite's hand. Bobbicevic III, who was the team captain, even jumped into the crowd. Budaye, while incredibly happy about the win and proud of his team, knew that he had to get his team ready for the final game against Northwest Kalactin. He spoke to the team after the game, talking about how proud he was for them pulling this win off, but that the job is not over. The business end of this tournament is just getting started. Don't tone things down because we beat our rivals- turn it up a notch because the knockouts are approaching.

Budaye told reporters in the post game press conference that while one goal had been checked off, that was just one goal. The greater goal still needed to be achieved. He said he would not rest his starters for the Northwest Kalactin match. When asked why, he said that he wanted to keep players in rhythm for the win or go home knockout stages. Which was part of the reason. But here's what he didn't say. Banija, right now, sits as the #2 overall seed for the knockout stages. Barring any late stage upsets, the Top 6 teams in the Round of 16 will be the following(not necessarily in this order)- Cassadaigua, Sarzonia, Banija, Abanhfleft, Vangaziland, and Baker Park. Vangaziland and Baker Park's goal differential were both through the roof- the winner of their Matchday 7 tilt would surely be the #1 overall seed.

But there was an extra benefit to being in the top 2. That would mean you wouldn't have to face another top 6 side until the semifinals. Who wants to play Vangaziland or Baker Park in the freaking quarterfinals? Nobody. That's why the chase for that #2 seed is huge. Us and Sarzonia are both 5-0, and are locked in at 2 & 3. But only one of us will get the 2 seed. We've got the +48 goal differential, Sarzonia is at +43. We've got to win by enough of a margin over a struggling Northwest Kalactin side to stay ahead of Sarzonia. That's the difference between a potential quarterfinal against Qzvarkian Qaz, and a potential quarterfinal against the world number ones and defending champions, Abanhfleft.

Beaten Abanhfleft? Check. Goal one complete. Winning the group? Check. Goal two complete. Avoiding a top 6 team in the first two rounds by clinching the #2 overall seed in the knockouts? That's the next goal. While there was a potential for a massive emotional hangover after a major win against a big-time rival, Budaye would do his absolute best to make sure his squad would avoid that fate, as they gunned to put themselves in the best possible position to make a run to the semifinals.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 am

Getting three victories from three matches against a regional rival was going to be a tall order. Sarzonia's national lacrosse team were expecting a hard fought contest against a Qasden side that was fighting for its life in the World Lacrosse Championships.

The match didn't go as some observers would have expected. The match was essentially over at halftime as Sarzonia finished Qasden's campaign with a 14-6 victory that ensures the Stars a Group B title.

Sarzonia's final match of the group stage will hardly be the dramatic clash that was Banija against defending champions Abanhfleft or that's expected from current juggernauts Vangaziland against Baker Park. Sarzonia's final group stage opponents will be Space, a team still fighting for a place in the knockout rounds.

Manager Jordan Helms said that he would play the reserves against Space with Sarzonia's place in the knockout rounds already secure, save for the prospect of a top three seed.

"We've been working our tails off since the AOLC," Helms said. "We played nine matches in our regional tournament before we started this tournament. It's a grind. We want to make sure we're as fresh as possible for the knockouts."

That decision may well anger the other four teams who could complain about the sanctity of competition since Space is still fighting for a knockout round position, but Helms and company are no strangers to controversy coming off assistant manager Bill Harbour's suspension. Incorporated Sarzonian Lacrosse Federation Chairwoman Kathi Lundquist ruled in favour of Harbour in his final appeal, but her ruling specifically did not address Helms's authority to suspend Harbour.

"We are disappointed with Mr. Helms's decision to suspend Mr. Harbour over remarks that were not directly addressed by Mr. Harbour to a media outlet," Lundquist said. "We agree with Mr. Helms that the remarks themselves expressed poor judgment, but we felt as though the situation could have been addressed differently."

Lundquist said in a press conference following her remarks that Helms was "within his rights to suspend Harbour," adding that "it was a decision he arrived at carefully, and if Mr. Harbour had made his remarks on record to a reporter, we wouldn't have ruled in his favour."

She wouldn't address the reasons for Harbour's remarks, saying that "Cassadagan lacrosse internal matters are out of my pay scale," but a source familiar with the discussions at the ISLF said Lundquist was "disappointed" with the Cassadagan lacrosse federation's decision to overturn the suspensions handed down by manager Sarah Cortez.

"You don't reward insubordination," Lundquist was believed to have said during the deliberations. "That shows little respect for Cortez." The source also reported that Lundquist said privately that she agreed with Harbour, but didn't want to "emasculate" Helms.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:02 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

The Lacrosse Lamentations
with Aisling Keane

You see this? What did I tell you? I told you so, right? I told you all, and you didn't listen to me. I told you the run couldn't last forever, especially not with Banija in the same group as we are, and now here we are, about to reap the rewards of our overconfidence. But could it really called overconfidence though? I know I was feeling anything but confident this whole WLC. I already told you, this Amazons team feels like a shadow of the team that stormed to the title in NWK last WLC 35. That team wouldn't have been limited to only single digits in half of the games we've played so far. I told you all, there's something in this team that's just lacking, something that I can't quite put my finger on. But I know it's there, and I know that it's affecting how the team plays. I think it might just be the chemistry issues I alluded to in my previous post. This team ain't as gelled as the ones before it, so to speak. Of course it would be, what with two-thirds of the New Fearsome Threesome now gone. That attacking unit just isn't the same now.

But you know, for all my doomsaying and stuff, there is one thing that I thought would most definitely happen but didn't, and it's the fact that Banija didn't blow us out of the water. They could have, should have blown us out of the water. Not only would it have been fitting revenge for the beatdown that we gave them in Northwest Kalactin two years ago but it's also because Banija's offense has been prolific this WLC while ours has been dire. But credit where credit is due though. Our defense has stepped up and kept the game a lot closer than it should have been. But of course. Just when it appears we've finally sorted out our defense, that's when our offense shits the bed. Forgive my French but it has to be said. The times when Abanhfleft has sorted out both its offense and defense is rare, but when they come together... boy, do they come together. Just like in WLC 35. I'm not lying when I say that that was the best lacrosse I've ever seen played in my entire existence. The way everything came together and fell in just the right place... ooh! You can't see it but I'm doing the chef's kiss right now as I'm typing this.

But I've got no right to do the chef's kiss for what has been honestly not the best campaign we've ever had in the WLC. Sure, we're 4-1 and almost guaranteed for second place, but this team just doesn't feel the same. And I'm not just talking about the lacklustre offense here. This literally does not feel like it's the same team that won it all just two years ago. By now you're probably saying, "Of course this won't be the same team, Aisling; you honestly don't expect everyone to keep playing into their late 30s and even 40s?" But that's completely missing my point. I know that player turnover is always going to be a thing. What I mean to say is that this team does not have the same "identity" that it had back in the day. Heck, this team doesn't have the same identity that the team had just two years ago. There's less purposeful coordinated attacks and more general running around like headless chickens. Of course things haven't gone as downhill as that, but I'm just saying that this team probably isn't the best one to be using to grab Title Number Six. I'm loath to use the dreaded R-word (it's rebuilding, in case you didn't know), but with the New Fearsome Threesome literally on the way out, maybe now is the time to do it. I know that getting that sixth title and becoming the outright winningest team in lacrosse is now the objective for the SLA (Samahang Lakros ng Abanhfleft, Lacrosse Federation of Abanhfleft), but I'm telling you right now, this team is not the team who will win us Number Six. And this is a hill that I am willing to die on.
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Group A
Cassadaigua 24-8 Silvedania
Havynwilde 4-8 Juvencus
Saint-Domingues 20
-10 Squidroidia
Sylestone bye

Group A                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Cassadaigua 6 5 1 76 32 +44 10
2 Sylestone 6 4 2 34 28 +6 8
3 Saint-Domingues 6 3 3 78 54 +24 6
4 Silvedania 6 3 3 47 59 −12 6

5 Havynwilde 6 3 3 43 67 −24 6
6 Juvencus 6 2 4 36 46 −10 4
7 Squidroidia 6 1 5 30 58 −28 2

Group B
Space 6-10 Sarzonia
Qzvarkian Qaz 8
-2 Kohnhead
St Saratoga 16-4 Soldera
Qasden bye

Group B                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Sarzonia 6 6 0 86 39 +47 12
2 Qzvarkian Qaz 6 4 2 56 65 −9 8
3 Kohnhead 6 3 3 52 36 +16 6
4 St Saratoga 6 3 3 61 45 +16 6

5 Space 6 2 4 38 47 −9 4
6 Qasden 6 2 4 33 62 −29 4
7 Soldera 6 1 5 33 65 −32 2

Group C
Abanhfleft 4-6 Mapletish
Northwest Kalactin 8-12 Banija
Cascadia 4-22 HUElavia
Nyowani Kitara bye

Group C                 Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Banija 6 6 0 82 30 +52 12
2 Abanhfleft 6 4 2 62 28 +34 8
3 HUElavia 6 4 2 76 48 +28 8
4 Mapletish 6 4 2 52 36 +16 8

5 Nyowani Kitara 6 2 4 38 68 −30 4
6 Northwest Kalactin 6 1 5 42 72 −30 2
7 Cascadia 6 0 6 18 88 −70 0

Group D
Flexanewmega 4-12 Natanians and Nosts
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 12
-10 Smosh Games (Game went to Overtime)
Vangaziland 14-8 Baker Park
Kriegiersien bye

Pld    W   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Vangaziland 6 6 0 120 32 +88 12
2 Baker Park 6 5 1 86 32 +54 10
3 Kriegiersien 6 4 2 60 60 0 8
4 Natanians and Nosts 6 2 4 34 48 −14 4

5 Flexanewmega 6 2 4 40 78 −38 4
6 Royal Kingdom of Quebec 6 1 5 32 84 −52 2
7 Smosh Games 6 1 5 34 72 −38 2

Round of 16 Bracket
(1) Vangaziland - Silvedania (15) @ Chamberley Institute of Sport, Chamberley
(8) Qzvarkian Qaz - HUElavia (9) @ Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk
(5) Baker Park - Kohnhead (12) @ Sentient Oval, Kirkham
(4) Cassadaigua - St Saratoga (14) @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough
(6) Abanhfleft - Saint-Domingues (11) @ The Trees, Pesfield
(3) Sarzonia - Mapletish (13) @ The Bay Reserve, Betham
(7) Sylestone - Kriegiersien (10) @ Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley
(2) Banija - Natanians and Nosts (16) @ Avondale International Sports Stadium, Avondale

- Natanians and Nosts (16) and Silvedania (15) swapped to avoid a group stage rematch
- St Saratoga (14) and Mapletish (13) swapped to avoid a group stage matchup
Last edited by Sylestone on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions

Saint-Domingues
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint-Domingues » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:08 pm

Forgot to submit this before the last deadline. Match report from MD5

Havynwilde 8-28 Saint-Domingue: Penultimate game ends in big win

1st Quarter2nd Quarter3rd Quarter4th Quater

Dessalines University got their second win at the 36th World Lacrosse Championships in their penultimate match in Group A, thrashing Havynwilde 28-8.

The Saint-Dominguan representation continued their history of giant-killing, as they added the scalp of the 18th-ranked side after already upsetting 16th-ranked hosts Sylestone.

This was not a close win either, but an obliteration - a real statement about the potential of Saint-Dominguan lacrosse. Every single outfield player - including the substitutes managed to nab themselves at least one goal in a complete demolition. It was a real show of unity as the players worked together to make sure that each of their buddies could get on the scoresheet and it truth could have been much more. Jacques Dembélé was in fine form as he got 7 goals for himself to add to a very impressive tally of scores so far. It was a truly great showing from the Dessaliniens.

Will 'DU' be repping Saint-Domingue in the next round? As silly as it sounds, there is a good chance of it still happening. Each of the groups is offering places in the following round of sixteen to the top four teams - statistically there is more than a 50% chance that DU will make it.
Outside of this, there is also some slight cause for hope. Saint-Domingue's final game is against Squidroida, a team who have so far suffered with very poor form so far. The big win over Havynwilde has done wonders for the Dominguan points difference, and another win would give them a minimum of 6 points and a GD of +15 - not a total to be sniffed at. Assuming that one of Havynwilde wins only one of their games or Silvedania loses both of their games, their superior GD will carry DU into the next round. This isn't unlikely, either. Both have tough fixtures: Silvedania play Sylestone and Cassadaigua, and though Havynwilde do play lowly Squidroida, they would also need to get a result against Juvencus to build an unassailable lead over a Dominguan team that beats Squidroida themselves. Group A's spots are still ripe for the taking!

Across the group
Hosts Sylestone have turned their fortunes around in Group A. Having lost to Havynwilde and then suffered an indignifying defeat to Saint-Domingue, captain Will Lax and his teammates have now won two games in a row. Their 6-2 win versus unranked Juvencus puts them up to the summit of Group A and looking like a good bet for qualification to the next round - though Cassadaigua and Silvedania both have a game in hand and are on equal points. Juvencus are bottom with just one win from four games and do not look likely to qualify.
Squidroida are in a similar situation, having lost three of their four games, including the most recent match to Cassadaigua by an eye-watering 16-2 margin. Considering that they have 6 points and an extra game on Sylestone, they will be one of the favourites to progress. And, indeed, the world's 5th-ranked side is likely to be one of the favourites to lift the Championships as a whole.

Dessalines University head coach Pere Sánchez: "The guys have pulled off a really great win today, I have to say. The substitutes weren't as tactical as usual either, I have to admit! The boys were calling for me to give everyone a chance as they wanted to make sure everyone got a goal. It was great team unity to watch them support eachother and be happy to see their teammates score. Today was a really good game. We're not thinking about the knockouts and making it, today we want to enjoy this achievement. We're the first team to represent our country here, and we've done them very proud."
Team:
Paquette
Halphen
Anderson
Guillaume <- Clair
Houdin
Bourseiller
Chagnon <- Gaona
Dembélé <- Robillard
Mann
Guilbert <- Chicote

Havywnwilde: [REDACTED] (3 goals), [REDACTED] (2 goals), [REDACTED] (2 goals), REDACTED (1 goal)
Saint-Domingue: Dembélé (7 goals), Mann (4 goals), Guilbert (3 goals), Chicote (2 goals), Chagnon (2 goals), Bourseiller (2 goals), Houdin (2 goals), Gaona (1 goal), Robillard (1 goal), Guillaume (1 goal), Anderson (1 goal), Halphen (1 goal), Clair (1 goal)
Venue: The Trees, Pesfield

Qzvarkian Qaz
Secretary

Founded: Jul 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Qzvarkian Qaz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:40 pm

Your Qzvarkian Qaz History

Qzvarkian Qaz history is fascinating. A long long forgotten empire of the old days, it is now a rusty relic of the past run my the iron oxide that ruins it day in and day out. Year ago there was an empire, a monarchic state run by King Sel Ig. King Sel Ig was never popular, popularity was never a word associated with the man. He was once called a man that could attempt to "sell another mans old horse" and was never seen as a leader of the people. After much turmoil and some inside and much outside pressure, he stepped down and in turn abdicated the throne to his cousin the new King Man-Ford. King MF somehow did even worse than his predecessor, he was an extravagant man who once through one of the most illustrious parties known to men. A Party that cost the Qazian people money and a lot of if it, 20 million bruhs were spent to invite leaders from near and far to join int he festivities, chefs from all the top cuisine institutes and restaurants, and brought to the center of the mountains near central Qaz, south of Qariq.

Did the people enjoy this spectacle that the King of the Qazian people put on? Did you really have to ask. It was a disgrace to the Qaz kind. At least several in the capital and in more importantly the military strong city of Sufa. Two places that would rise up in support of a new kind of leader, a Man of the people. Treh Vorbaur was the new people's favorite, he had started an uprising in Sufa after multiple corruption scandals had gone rather unpunished. Vorbaur lead a revolt in Sufa, garnering much military support in the west, by then a civil war would soon be in full tilt.

People in the west of the nation supported heavily the Vorbaur regime there were skirmishes between people but it was quickly a coup d'tat. Protests ran on and on and on. Finally ousting the Monarch the Vorbaur regime took control, but there were still issue that were to plague the area. Yzvn was a port city on an inland sea the nation bordered. It was a hub for agrarian traffic due to a river connection to the lawless farmlands of Rodesiah, a former power in Rushmore, they were a mere shell of themselves feeding the bellies of many a Rushmori if loyalist to the monarchy took hold of Yzvn (pronounced "even" for the curious) then they could be in trouble. Aftera long drawn out conflict, Yzvn was taken over by the Vorbaur loyalist and it seemed all would rise tot he top of the Rushmori ladder. But then there was one small problem, the small panhandle south of Valladares had also been another holdout. the major city of Olymnysk had been considered a loyalist holdout, but was never overtly considered a problem as the city was hugely agrarian and educated it was not. But five years and a nearly completed civil war later the Qazian meta shifted, an assassin from Olymnysk shot and killed Vorbaur. His Successor was tough on the Olymnysks and eventually sent the nation down a rabbit hole it's still falling down today.

As the Qzvarkian Qaz hired guns play Lacrosse in the world championships, things are different at home. The successors to Vorbaur became increasingly maniacal, and depraved, while current successor Pet'r Uberr'oth is attempting modernization there is still an air so many years later of the stench of dictatorship the nation tried to exhume itself of, but thats much for naught now, as the second generation overtake the first all people will ever know is what the meta is here in Qzvarkian Qaz. The Cotton Fields in the north east where a special lottery is drawn to determine the "winners" who get to harvest cotton in the eastern fields, Many great Patriotic Qazians who served in the military are now having fun on the frontlines of Lacrosse, or thats what the media will tell you. But in reality they are foreigners and ex-military mercenaries who are looking for an escape from the dullness of Qzvarkian Qaz life.

Thus is life in Qzvarkian Qaz
PRONOUNCED: Kuh-var-key-in Kahz
CAPITAL: Qariq
TRIGRAME: QQZ

We are an attempt at an over the top Central Asian style dictatorship with our influences being mainly Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
Most policies and stats are cannon, but issues are picked with the craziest or most dictator friendly option in mind. All policies are considered cannon aside from Geronticide.

OOC Puppet of Xanneria

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:43 am

The Sour Kind
"I only know one thing, that is I know nothing"

Commentaries| Timothy Jozua

Mapletish advances to Round of 16 following 2 satisfying victories

The Dragons' journey to the Round of 16 was a tough set up. Coming off two straight defeats, the Dragons were stunned. The team made up of semi-professional players were unable to adapt to the fast professional game, they also lacked the game experience to perform on the multiverse stage of lacrosse. Head coach Jonathan Ford though was more than pessimistic, he continued his fiery pre match speeches, turned up for training sessions and encouraged the players to work doubly hard as with how they were managed to come off with two straight wins at the start of the campaign, Ford was determined to keep the momentum going for the Dragons.

Coming off a bye-day, the rest day rejuvenated the Maplish side. In the match against fellow unranked side, Nyowani Kitara, the Maplish side looked fresh. Despite allowing Nyowani Kitara to come away with a runaway lead in the first quarter via goals from Okpara Ngozi, Uchi Ebele, Ziko Uhee and Koofrey Okparro, the Maplish side remained composed in chasing the match back to their side. Howard Chavez was the lead man for the Maplish side as he and Miguel Garrett bang in 2 goals in the first quarter before the whistle concluded the quarter. The Dragons trailed 4-2 at the end of the first quarter.

The Dragons would not concede again in the next 3 quarters, with Mason and Garrett recording a goal each in the 2nd quarter as the Dragons equalised, 4-4 before the second quarter came to an end. The team looked a little bit more motivated to run through the match as they believed very much in a neat comeback and subsequently gunning for the win. Head coach Jonathan Ford, looked a little nervous as he paced the sidelines trying to calm his nerves as the Dragons looked to secure a come from behind victory. He instructed his players to play their own tempo and not to be swirled in by Nyowani Kitara's game.

The 3rd quarter saw Lyle Chambers and Tommy Reid add a goal each as the Dragons led the game for the first time all match. It was a deliberate effort by the Maplish attacking trio of Mason, Garrett and Chavez to run just a little harder, play a little more aggressive to open up opportunities for shots on goal, which ultimately marginalised as the Dragons lead 6-4, going into the last quarter of the match. Resistance picked up a little for the Dragons as Nyowani Kitara would not allow for the Dragons to run havoc on their half of the pitch as the Maplish side picked up a little more body checks than dished out to them as warning.

The Dragons were unfazed as they closed the match with two more goals via Reid and Maxwell as they round up the match 8-4 in their favour, confirming their chances of qualification as Nyowani Kitara played their last game of the campaign while Northwest Kalactin had no way of advancing to the Round of 16, having only won one match in their 5 match ups.

Having confirmed their status of advancing in the knockout rounds, the following match against multiverse number one Abanhfleft remained as an exhibition and a rekindling of old rivalry. The rivalry was rekindled as both head coaches Jonathan Ford and Blaine Mailloux shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before the match as a sign of good will. The Amazons would be the first to break the deadlock as they opened with 2 quick goals via Leeanna Matley and Pearline Cordes to get the proceedings started. The Dragons were primed for a response via Miguel Garrett. The first quarter would end 2-1 in favour of the Amazons.

The Amazons started the 2nd quarter with the same blistering intensity and professional acumen of top class lacrosse as they made easy work of the semi-professional Maplish side. That confidence and desire to get the match done with saw the Amazons put in two more quick goals via Malcolm Richards and Jenelle Eure to put the Amazons further ahead by scoreline. At a 4-1 scoreline, the supporters would not have thought that the show would start to shift to the Dragons' favour. Chavez and Mason would carry on to put two goals past the Amazons' keeper Jarred Pigram, much to his fustration. However, that was not enough as the multiverse number 1 led at the end of the 2nd quarter, 4-3.

The 3rd quarter would see the Dragons add 2 more to their tally, via Chavez and Reid as they played out a wonderfully executed comeback lead, putting the Dragons ahead 4-5, before the 4th quarter. The 4th quarter would see the Dragons add in one more goal via Lyle Chambers, giving the Dragons the full two points and a statement result against the multiverse number one, with a 6-4 victory. The Dragons face Group B winners, Sarzonia in an giant vs goliath encounter, as Sarzonia looked to its perfect record as sufficient evidence and a superior goal difference as support that they were not to be messed with. The Dragons though have generally a better defence, after only conceding 3 fewer goals than the Group B winners, but fall far behind in terms of goals scored. Expect Sarzonia to come away with a standard victory in the encounter. See you then.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Smosh games
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Last game:do your best

Postby Smosh games » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 pm

So, We're at the last round of the group phase, we're bottom of the barrel, but we still have some chances to go to the KO phases? Sounds good for me, considering this is our first time here. Sure, we need 2 or 3 guys to lose, but anything can happen(except for the top 3, those are already qualifyed, need to know the order). C'mon guys, It's time to do your best and give it all you've got!

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Banija go undefeated in the "Group of Death" at the WLCs and will face Natanians & Nosts in the Round of 16

Banijan lacrosse players celebrate win against Abanhfleft at WLC 36

AVONDALE, SYLESTONE- The World Lacrosse Championships have reached the knockout stages, and Banija is sitting pretty inside of them. We came to Sylestone, looking for yet another chance to compete. Even though we were ranked 4th in the multiverse, we were not able to be inside of Pot 1- we found ourselves at the top of Pot 2. And our Pot 1 team? The defending champions, our rivals, and permanent bogey team, Abanhfleft. We had a number of talented teams after that, as well. Mapletish, who are former champions. The Cascadian Empire. Northwest Kalactin. Nyowani Kitara. And the WLC 34 champions, HUElavia.

So the tournament's last two champions, another team who is a former champion, Northwest Kalactin, and some ambitious unranked sides. It was a tough draw. But the Banijan national team was not phased. "I'm glad about how this group saw the challenge." Allen Budaye said. "Some weaker sides would have just written it off, said that it was impossible to win this group, and done the bare minimum. But this side rose to the challenge. These tough challenges show who you are. A tough, grind it out win against Abanhfleft. Dominant performances against talented sides, like Mapletish. Nothing was given in this group- everything was earned, and our first place finish in the group was deserved."

Compared to everyone else, they had a very strong finish. They were able to earn the #2 overall seed for the knockout stages, finishing 6-0 with a goal differential of +52. The best part about that? They don't have to face any of the top 6 teams- Vangaziland, Sarzonia, Cassadaigua, Abanhfleft, or Baker Park- until the semifinals(assuming, of course, that we even make it that far). Those are the veteran squads in this tournament who are real contenders to win the whole damn trophy. THat's very important for Banija's chances, although of course nobody will say it.

"Once you get to the knockout stages, you've got to throw away the records." Arsa Bobbicevic III said. "Nobody cares that we were 6-0, nobody cares what Natanians & Nosts record was. This isn't a best of 7. THis is a one and done. And we know this all too well in this sport- on any given day, any team that is good enough to reach the knockout stages is good enough to beat anybody. We're going to rest up and focus up, because we got a big game against Natanians & Nosts."

That's the right attitude to have. Banija will be massive favorites over N&N. Natanians & Nosts are the only team to reach the knockout stages with a losing record, finishing 2-4 but still getting in. But they are not a bad team by any means. They are ranked 12th in the multiverse, which shows that they are a threat. "They're a team with everything to game, and nothing to lose." Said Marko Babic, a former player and head coach for this national team. "A team like that can be very dangerous. IF they hang around, they'll gain confidence and really try to take it to Banija. What we have to do is take it to them right from the get go and try to take a lead early. IF we can do that, we'll be smooth sailing. But if they get off to a fast start? We'll be the ones on upset alert for sure.

This match will take place in the Sylestone capitol city of Avondale, where Banija played their opening 3 games of the tournament. The biggest games of the knockout stages seem to be Abanhfleft against Saint-Domingues, as well as Sarzonia against Mapletish. Those will almost certainly get the highest ratings from neutrals, but we'll see. As always, go Banija!
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Fillies win the group. Finally becoming united?
By Kenzie Sherman, Concord Heights Times

A wide open offensive affair against Silvedania, a nation that still did salvage fourth place in the group saw Cassadaigua win comfortably by the score of 24-8. This is the largest win of this campaign, and up there with our biggest wins ever in the competition. It’s not an official record, but it is something that comes close. Jessica Crockett led the way with nine goals in the game, and was taken out along with the rest of starters after Cassadaigua went up 21-3. At halftime, Cassadaigua held a 15-1 advantage, so the rout was on right from the get go. Crockett has been playing particularly well in the last couple games, as it seems as though she is playing with a chip on her shoulder right now. We all know what that would be, and after Crockett was removed following her ninth goal, some had to wonder how she would take not having a chance to pick up her tenth in the game. Jessica was asked that after the game and told reporters that, “I may have requested to stay in the game if I realized I had nine. I actually had thought that I was on eight. Just go to show that I am thinking about the team first.” Cortez said that she did not deliberately look to keep Crockett from having a chance to get ten goals, telling the reporter (not me) that, “You people just look for anything to write about, don’t you?”

There had been less blank stares between Cortez and Crockett, among other players, making some hope that the rift ws starting to heal.
If it was, Lexi Looper didn’t help matters by posting on Spacebook, “Someone tell coach it’s St Saratoga, and not just Saratoga. She keeps calling them Saratoga, only.” At any other point in time, we could see that as a playful jab, but right now with this team, I don’t think that anyone can be sure of that. St Saratoga, a former WLC champion, has had a down year this time around, but still was able to sneak into the playoffs with a 3-3 record, and finishing fourth. Unfortunately, for the Fillies, that places the #7-ranked team into a head to head fixture in round one. Not ideal, but coach Cortez told us that, “When you look at Saratoga, you know they will be looking to salvage their tournament. They still have time to do that, and we will need to be prepared for that.” Jessica Crockett said of the opponent that, “they are not really who you want to see in the first round. We have plenty of respect for them, and I guess that will be a good thing because we are not going to see them as a 3-3 team, but as a team that has won a championship.”

For the first time, the Cassadagan Association for Lacrosse made an official statement concerning Sarzonian criticism of their overturning suspensions placed on players on the roster.
Vice President Rachel Monroe was quoted as saying, “It is our duty to make sure that Cassadagans fans are treated to our best team during the World Lacrosse Championships. We are not happy with the way that things transpired, and feel that the players were punished appropriately in the one game and it did not need to carry over. Gradually as this tournament has gone on, we have seen the team get better results, so we feel that things are working out. We respect the opinions of others, especially those of the greatest lacrosse nation in history of the WLC, but we still stand behind the decision that we made.”
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 pm

HUElavia Advances to the Round-of-16 with a Pair of Victories!

HUElavia 18-10 Northwest Kalactin
(Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley)

Cascadia 4-22 HUElavia
(Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley)

HUElavia entered Matchday 6 and 7 with a simple message and goal: "Win and You're In." The team had 6 points, sitting with a record of 2-2, and a win would be enough to clinch a spot back into the Round-of-16, the second time overall it happens for HUElavia. The matches were against Northwest Kalactin and Cascadia, both being held at Sunlife Stadium (52,000), in Halpenley. Fans flocked to the stadium to cheer on the team, as they were hoping to see the team participate in another knockout stage of the WLC.

The first match saw Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos put out their A-Team, looking to guarantee the qualification to the knockouts. HUElavia gave strong domination while fending off attacks from Northwest Kalactin. Sissoko-Nunes got her hat-trick during the match, while Buonanotte also got a hat-trick to his name. Ching-Lacanilao, Yamada, Sulca, Bilatan-Manlangit, and Aleksandrovna each got two goals in. Ferreira and Artigas each got their first ever goals in the WLC with a goal each. For Northwest Kalactin, Peterson and Jones each got a hat-trick, while Gonzalez and Johnson each got two goals each. While Northwest Kalactin tried to get something going, HUElavia would just score in quick succession to keep the game in check and in their favor. Once the referee blew her whistle, the match ended, and the HUElavians went onto the pitch to celebrate their qualification to the knockouts, with the 18-10 victory.

For the second game against Cascadia, Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos ended up opting to use the B-Team for the match, with Mariano making his debut in goal. The team would obliterate Cascadia in the largest victory ever recorded in HUElavian Lacrosse History. Artigas and Ferreira each got their first ever hat-trick, both scoring 3 goals each. Also adding their names to the hat-tricks were Aleksandrovna and Ching-Lacanilao. Rodriguez, Meireles de Lima, Sulca, Sissoko-Nunes, and Bilatan-Manlangit each got two goals each to add to their name. REDACTED and REDACTED each slotted in two goals each to account for the ones scored by Cascadia. At one point, the scoreline just read 18-2, which was a blowout lead in HUElavian Lacrosse. At the end, it finished 22-4, and the team celebrated their success, having two important victories to build momentum to the knockouts.

At the end of the Group Stage, the team finishes in 3rd Place behind Banija (6-0, 12 Points), and Abanhfleft (4-2, 8 Points). The team finished 9th overall out of 16 and will play against Qzvarkian Qaz in the Round-of-16. Here's to a victory!

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!
Last edited by HUElavia on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 pm

The Sarzonian national lacrosse team had a fairly uneventful group stage in the World Lacrosse Championships on the pitch. They finished 6-0 for the second straight competition with a closer-than-expected 10-6 victory over Space that clinched the No. 3 seed and a battle against 13th seeded Mapletish.

The on-pitch drama may have been non-existent, but off the pitch was a completely different story. The Cassadagan Association for Lacrosse responded to criticism reported from Incorporated Sarzonian Lacrosse Federation Chairwoman Kathi Lundquist of their decision to overturn suspensions handed down by Dagans manager Sarah Cortez.

"It is our duty to make sure that Cassadagans fans are treated to our best team during the World Lacrosse Championships," CAL vice president Rachel Monroe said.. "We are not happy with the way that things transpired, and feel that the players were punished appropriately in the one game."

Lundquist shook her head when apprised of Monroe's comments, responding that the CAL executives "overstepped their authority" by instructing her to start players including Jessica Crockett.

"We have mechanisms to review decisions by a manager and we can overrule a decision if we feel it's absolutely necessary," she said. "Having said that, we don't believe in micromanaging our coaching staff to within an inch of their lives. Overturning the suspensions is one thing, but ordering Cortez to start Crockett crossed the line."

Lundquist had harsh words for Monroe's response that their governing body's duty was to put the best possible team on the pitch.

"That's a manager's duty. It's Cortez's job to win matches. It's CAL's job to make sure to provide the best combination of players and coaches and to ensure that they represent their country in the best possible light. I've got more important concerns than who starts where."

Stars manager Jordan Helms declined to answer questions about the Fillies or the back and forth between the Sarzonian and Cassadagan governing bodies.

"I've got enough on my plate trying to win matches," he said. I can only manage one team at a time. My focus is bringing a sixth WLC title to Sarzonia. Anything else is just a distraction."

As for Helms's stated plans to use depth players, that was exactly what he did, but the Stars still played well even without their starting 10.

Sarzonia will face a Mapletish side that conced 36 goals on defence en route to a 4-2 record and fourth place in Group C, which is essentially the Group of Death with defending champions Abanhfleft and AOLC champions Banija in the group with the Dragons. Helms said Mapletish was going to be a challenge and said much was riding on his team's faceoff specialists.

"We're going to have to win at the X," he said. "Getting possessions is absolutely paramount and we're going to have to make sure they count. That's a tough team we're facing."

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Aisling Keane

It's all falling apart. It's all unraveling. It's all unwinding. It's time for the dread R-word. I'm telling you, victory in WLC 36 was never in the cards. We've never won a title back-to-back since our first two, way back in WLCs 22 and 23. I don't think the whole of Gaelic Gamers was even a thing back then. I don't think I cared about lacrosse as much as I do now even though I might have been fresh off of playing for the varsity lax team back then. Anyway, what I meant was that lacrosse back then wasn't the all-consuming obsession it's now become for me. But I mean, come on now. We all know the vast majority of site traffic are only here to watch me melt down in words. You're all freaks, the lot of you. And I'm a masochist for willingly putting myself in this position time and time again.

Anyway, I told you all that this is the end of our hopes for winning Title Number Six. There is no way that this team can recover from this. Pack it up, lasses. And lads. There's no chance we're coming back home from Sylestone with that trophy. It's all an exercise in futility at this point. At this point, I've already made the bet that Saint-Domingue are gonna spank us silly. It's the only logical outcome out of all this. Our form after Nyowani Kitara was simply unsustainable. I mean, scoring just enough goals to outscore the opponent? That's not the Blaine Mailloux I know and remember. Then again, this isn't the same Amazons team I know and remember. Maybe this is just Monsieur Mailloux working with the tools that he has available. Which, sad to say, isn't a lot. You might hate me for saying it but it's the truth. Think about it. Only one-third of the New Fearsome Threesome is still playing for the national team. I mean, kudos to Tomiko Legaspi for knowing when to call it quits and going out on the highest of highs as far as lax goes. We talk all day about the New Fearsome Threesome, but at the end of the day Pearline Cordes' legacy will likely be tainted by this epic fail of a title defense. There's a reason they're called a Threesome and not a Onesome. Now get your minds out the gutter.

Now, this isn't just some reactionary bullshit that I came up with just to get a few more clicks. Anyone with an eyepatch and one glass eye could see this coming from a mile away. This is a team that is pretty much in rebuilding mode but it's also in denial that it's time for a rebuild. This team hasn't been performing well since the first game against Nyowani Kitara, the only demolition we've done this whole tournament. Of course I'm not crying out for our team to be destroying every single team they come up against; no, that would just be too implausible. But this is a team on poor form who managed to luck their way into some early good results, but now our shittiness has caught up to us and there's nothing we can do about it except bite the pillow and accept the inevitable. Banija was always going to be a tough opponent; of that I have no doubt. But the Amazons team that played them in WLC 35 and this WLC are two completely different teams altogether. And Mapletish know a thing or two about disappointing Fleftic people (Di Bradini Cup 43, never forget!) The bottom line of all the drivel and shite I've been saying is... kudos to Sarzonia for winning Title Number Six. God knows they've waited too long for it.

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:13 am

It is once again playoff time for Vangaziland’s national lacrosse squad. This is a season which saw the team do extraordinary things. The Royals started the group stage by beating Smosh Games 24-2. This was an effort led by Stella Dahl with a career best goal tally of 14. She secured her spot as team captain and leader of Vannish lacrosse.

Vangaziland squared up against Natanians and Nost in the second match. The opponent turned out to be a talented defensive side. N&N entered WLC 36 ranked 12th. The Vangazi had to fight hard to score, though they did exit with a 14 - 4 victory. Many of the Vannish goals came late in the game. Much of the game was closer than the score would display. Vangaziland trailed for much of the first quarter.

The Royals played Kriegiersien in Game 3. Insiders there said the team prepared extensively in preparation for the Vangazi. The Royals won again, this time in 28-6 fashion. This was the second time Vangaziland won with a +22 point goal differential. Kriegiersien is an up and coming team with a #23 international ranking. “They are progressing as a team”, said Vannish coach Jon Vennet. “Kriegiersien will do great things in the future.”

These early three games set a tone on the field which would push the Royals into the strongest form they’ve seen in some time. After a 22-6 victory against Flexanewmega and an 18-6 win against the Royal Kingdom of Quebec, Vangaziland faced its toughest match of the season.

Players from Oceanic Vangaziland had faced the Baker Park squad in the Atlantian Oceanic Lacrosse Championships. Baker Park overwhelmed the squad which included Oseari such as Siim Laar and Ain Vesik. “It was great practice for the World Lacrosse Championships”, said Laar. “I think we also provided a solid framework in preparing to face them.”

Baker Park sits at #5 in WLC rankings. They are a talented side with a chance to win the title during any given season. “I’m proud of Baker Park for what they’ve accomplished”, said assistant coach Sheila Hancourt. “I remember when they entered the international tournament here. It’s great to see what they’ve built. Their name means something. Their uniform means something. I know they will keep ascending and getting even better.” Both teams entered the match undefeated at 5-0.

Vangaziland found themselves down for much of the game. A two goal deficit for the Vangazi, grew to a four goal gap by the second and back down to a two goal gap at the start of the fourth. “We couldn’t get anything”, said Stella Dahl. “I personally was on lockdown.” Dahl ended the game scoreless and with two late game assists. She sat for much of the third in a move meant to shake the opponent’s plan of dealing with her up.

An Oceanic Vangazi named Olev Tamm would not let the game end on a sour note. “I just kept thinking of the AOLC”, the attackman said, spelling out the acronym of the tournament in Atlantian Oceania. “We were not losing to them again.. No.”

Tamm fought hard with 5 fourth quarter goals. He moved all over the attacking half of the field. On his first goal, he moved towards the top of the section, swapping with middie Ago Mitt. He scored one goal creeping from behind X and another where he crossed and switched with the opposing wing attackman to play on the opposite side of the goal. By this time, Baker Park tried to shut him out. He fought hard through contact, catching and shooting against tough stick and body checks.

Strong passing by the Vannish attackmen and midfielders helped reach Tamm and put him in position to score. His effort led the team in scoring. Jim Lattersen and Lizzie Borhanson scored 3 goal hat tricks in unglamorous fashion. Klavan Perry and even Wilhelmina Stenbeck added a goal apiece. Stenbeck swapped with a midfielder on fast break to score a goal as a long stick defender. This was in a situation where she swapped with Stella Dahl to confuse the double team that was on the Vannish middie.

Now Vangaziland prepares for the playoffs. The Royals join Sarzonia and Banija as undefeated 6-0 sides. Sarzonia looks like a unit ready to reclaim their former glory as a nation with five titles under their belt. They have faced a severe drought, not seeing a title match since a championship in WLC 16. The Stars have only seen the top 3 once since then in WLC 33. It is clear this is a team highly motivated to settle for nothing less than a title.

Banija is another nation which craves glory. Their side has three 3rd place finishes and two 2nd place finishes. Vannish coaches all picked Banija to topple their biggest rival, the #1 ranked Fleftic delegation, in separate interviews before that group match.

The team from Cassadaigua also looks positioned to make a deep playoff run. Internal drama mixed by criticism from outspoken rivals seems to have pushed them into top form. Some of the latter appears to be from an old rivalry with the Sarzonian team. Cassadaigua managed some high scoring efforts, including a 24-8 victory against Silvedania.

Vangaziland enters the playoffs with the top ranked offense. The Royals join Abanfleft as the only team to win a game with a +22 differential this season, though the Vannish did so twice. Vangaziland’s end of season goal differential of +88 is higher than the total number of goals scored by any other WLC 36 team. The Royals scored a staggering 120 goals.

Former head coach Larry Hootsen spoke about his team’s progress. “They will have to keep working hard and pushing as the playoffs wear on”, said the retired coach. “I’m sure they’re grateful to be in this position. They don’t take any teams for granted. They’ll know the group stage standings don’t determine which team sits where. After failing to take the title for some time, they’ll have to keep pushing. High scores and strong differentials don’t mean anything to Vannish fans unless they bring home silverware. They have to keep pushing.”

“Our goal is just to play hard”, team captain Stella Dahla said in warmups before the team’s first playoff game. “We want to put forth our best effort. Our competitors deserve it. If they beat us, they can be proud of toppling a powerhouse. We haven’t pushed as hard in the last few years. The fans also deserve seeing us in top form. Putting in our best effort is what we are proud of. Scores and numbers are secondary. I am happy to see so much great lacrosse taking place this season on so many teams.”

Vangaziland will face Silvedania in Round 1 of the playoffs.
Last edited by Vangaziland on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Vangaziland 8-2 Silvedania @ Chamberley Institute of Sport, Chamberley
Qzvarkian Qaz 4-14 HUElavia @ Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk
Baker Park 8-2 Kohnhead @ Sentient Oval, Kirkham
Cassadaigua 18-8 St Saratoga @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough
Abanhfleft 24-6 Saint-Domingues @ The Trees, Pesfield
Sarzonia 10-6 Mapletish @ The Bay Reserve, Betham
Sylestone 0-10 Kriegiersien @ Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley*
Banija 12-6 Natanians and Nosts @ Avondale International Sports Stadium, Avondale

*Scorinated by South Newlandia

Quarter-Finals Bracket
Vangaziland - HUElavia @ Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk
Baker Park - Cassadaigua @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough
Abanhfleft - Sarzonia @ The Trees, Pesfield
Kriegiersien - Banija @ Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley
Last edited by Sylestone on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegiersien
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kriegiersien » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 pm

The Schoenwetter Joker

Sport

Lacrosse

At the World Championships the Kriegiersien team created a big surprise in the round of 16, not only beating the host, but with 10-0.

It was the first time they didn’t receive any goals. The defense with two Orc players in goal and defense was stable, the forwards whirled around in common speed like blue lightnings.

That the referees from South Newlandia gave penalties for every all so slightly contact to a Kriegiersien player from a player from Sylestone did help a lot.
That the referees are after that were seen flying with big suitcases to a Kriegiersien colony with marvelous beaches, is an unproven rumour.

The next match now is against Banija. Against this, until now unbeaten, Powerhouse they have the chance to assist in the prevention of a total dominance of Atlantian Oceania or affiliated Nations from that region by winning their quarter-final.

“We really just relaxed the last days, even went sightseeing. Did wine and dine. Watched the Winter Olympics on TV. And the other players, who are not Xvarts, are now truly integrated in the team. So we continue on this path”, explained coach Harry Gummibear the preparations.

The last time these two nations met on a bigger stage, was also the quarter-final, but of the Basketball World Championship (IBC), were Banija won in overtime and later the title.

“We don’t really care much about that, we just want to play Lacrosse. Really. I would love to play”, begged forward Lael Zell who hasn’t played even a minute until now.
Last edited by Kriegiersien on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banija
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:30 pm

The Banijan Sports Business Journal
Authored by Dr. Sololeya Fekadu, Dean of the College of Sports Studies at Northern Moravica University

AVONDALE, SYLESTONE- Hello! Many of you know me from my most famous invention, the Fekadu Financial Power Index! Used to rate the financial power of various IFCF member clubs and nations, it's an inexact estimate of exactly where and how the money is flowing in club football these days. There's been a lot of changes of course since our last update. But we'll be back at it, eventually.

For those of you that don't, you may wonder why I'm writing here? The All-Banija Sports Magazine has decided to launch a subsidiary publication, called the Banijan sports business journal. This is available to the general public, of course, but aimed at the suits. I will be a freelance writer for this, as of course, my day job as Dean of the College of Sports Studies cannot be overlooked. I've got all sorts of qualifications. I write the Fekadu Financial Power Index, I'm a college Dean, I was even a member of the Istria Host Committee for the Banijan half of the most recent Summer Olympiad.

Today, we're going to look at lacrosse television ratings in Banija! Let's look at what's most recent. We've had four recent competitions in this sport. We've had IDLO competition, aka the Champions League for club lacrosse. We've had the most recent season of the Banijan Lacrosse League. We've had the most recent editions of the AO Lacrosse Championships, and now we have WLC 36 going on right now.

Here's what advertisers want to know. What exactly is the most popular lacrosse competition in Banija, both on television and on radio? How good of a market is this? We'll deep dive into all of this.

Top 10 matches

Of the current lacrosse cycle(aka the four competitions previously mentioned), we will have a list of the top 10 most watched matches in Banija, and number of Banijan viewers.

Remember, for reference, Banija has a population of about 100 million people.

10. IDLO Semifinal- Relethni Liberty (AFT) 9–9 Bunyoro RSC (BNJ) (11–12 OT). 455,000 viewers. 122,000 radio listeners.
9. BLL Semifinal #1 Game 2: Herzegovina CIty Kings 6–13 Bunyoro RSC. 475,000 viewers. 134,000 radio listeners.
8. BLL Semifinal #2 Game 1: Istria Thunder 9–15 Jinja City Weasals. 522,000 viewers. 147,000 radio listeners.
7. WLC 36 Group Stage Matchday 4: Banija 12-0 Mapletish. 554,000 viewers. 167,000 radio listeners.
6. AOLC IV Group Stage Matchday 5: Banija 16-10 Baker Park. 599,000 viewers. 189,000 radio listeners.
5. IDLO Final- Bunyoro RSC (BNJ) 13–13 Ravenclyff LK (HVY) (13–17 OT). 624,000 viewers. 201,000 radio listeners.
4. WLC 36 Round of 16: Banija 12-6 Natanians and Nosts. 633,000 viewers. 209,000 radio listeners.
3. BLL Championship Game: Bunyoro RSC 7–10 Jinja City Weasals. 722,000 viewers. 255,000 radio listeners.
2. AOLC IV Final: Sarzonia 8-10 Banija. 898,000 viewers. 313,000 radio listeners.
1. WLC 36 Group Stage Matchday 6: Banija 8-6 Abanhfleft. 944,000 viewers. 435,000 radio listeners.

So what does this tell us?

Well, this tells us a number of things about the Banijan lacrosse fan. Let's get into it.

#1 Banijan lacrosse fans consume the sport like other sports fan consume theirs. The first thing to do when dealing with these numbers, is not to overreact. These are solid viewing numbers for a sport like lacrosse, even in a nation of our size. But there isn't a ton of mystery here. The biggest matches get the most views. Big games with big stakes, and rivalry games, have the most TV and radio interaction. That's not that surprising, but it is confirmed. The two most viewed matches? The national team playing their two biggest rivals- Sarzonia in a regional final, and Abanhfleft in a winner takes all match to win their group at the WLCs. Those are far and away the matches with the most interactions, the only two on this list with more than a million combined radio and TV viewers.

#2 The national team has a strong, growing, base of support. It's not surprising that our main rivals will get the biggest television draws. Neutrals want to see Banija play Baker Park or Cassadaigua, because of general sporting rivalry. The Mapletish game had a lot of hype going into it. But realize that there are mostly national team games on that list. Once again, that is not a surprise. But it means that the WLC matches, especially WLC matches between Banija and her rivals, will get plenty of eyeballs.

#3 Banijan club lacrosse is alive and well The match that sticks out is the Banijan Lacrosse League Championship game. That's the third highest rated game? Well, the BLL has done a great job marketing that match to the entire country. And even though the game was two National Conference teams, it still generated plenty of interest from the sport's heartland, the Moravica region. But it beat ratings for the IDLO Final, which had Bunyoro RSC in it(although those ratings were plenty strong). It beat ratings even from a WLC knockout match. There is support for the Banijan Lacrosse League, and people should pay attention to that.
Last edited by Banija on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 pm

The score was the same, 10-6 in favour of Sarzonia.

But while the Sarzonian national lacrosse team's final group stage match against Space was an opportunity to give players who normally don't see as much time on the pitch an opportunity to play with relatively limited stakes, the Round of Sixteen battle against Mapletish was a different story.

It was a frustrating day for the Sarzonian attack, even with scoring 10 goals against a stingy Dragons side that held the defending champions Abanhfleft to four goals in their group stage finale. The 10-goal output was level with their previous match against Space for their lowest goal total of the competition.

It wasn't the closest match that Sarzonia played. That honour went to St. Saratoga, who forced overtime in a match that Sarzonia won 12-11, but it felt that way to many a Stars player.

"The Dragons played us really tight," attack Colin Grassley said. "We had to fight for every opportunity."

Sarzonia's difference was at the faceoff circle, where Noah Ryanson won 11 of 17 draws before he went into the dressing room complaining of dehydration. The draws kept Mapletish on their heels and prevented the underdogs from getting into their offence.

The match against Abanhfleft is a rematch of the semifinals from thr previous edition hosted by Northwest Kalactin, where Abanhfleft defeated the Stars during the Casaran format group stage before the semifinals battle between two teams with a total of 10 Championships between them.

Manager Jordan Helms knows the history. One of the two teams will pack their bags after the match, their dreams of winning an unprecedented sixth title dashed in the quarterfinals of this tournament being played in a country that could hardly be considered a traditional lacrosse venue. The winner would still have to win a semifinal and the final to reach the summit of the sport for the sixth time.

Then there were the remaining teams in the bracket: Recent world champions HUElavia, traditional rivals Banija, regional rivals Baker Park, inter-regional rivals and fellow soap opera participants Cassadaigua among them, not to mention Vangaziland, another rival and traditional lacrosse powerhouse or their opponents Kriegiersien. Vangaziland dominated the current World Lacrosse Championships in much the same way Sarzonia dominated the group stage in the Atlantian Oceania Lacrosse Championships.

"One problem at a time," Helms said. "We're busy enough thinking about how we're going to beat Abanhfleft tomorrow night. We're not thinking about history. We're not worried about anyone else right now. We've got a quality team that we must beat if we want to have a chance to reach our goal to bring a sixth title back to Woodstock."

Abanhfleft
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 am

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

with Aisling Keane

Oh, boy. Am I scared as fuck right now. I don't wanna look. I don't wanna fuckin' look. It's all a setup. I don't wanna have hope anymore. it's the hope that kills you, I'm telling you. Never mind the Amazons suddenly remembering to score once again. It's all a long con to get all of us Abanhfleft fans hoping only for the lacrosse gods to pull a fast one on us and say "sike!" You'd have to be stupid not to see it. An Abanhfleft team on shitty form during a group stage suddenly remembering what it's like to score for fun in the playoffs before meeting a titan of the sport? It's all building up to either a heartbreaking close loss or we are absolutely getting sent to Poundland. There's no two ways about it. We lose by one point or we lose by twenty. That's the Fleftic way.

All right, Negative Nancy. You've had your time in the limelight. Now go sit down and wait for your turn again. Time to look at the positives against Saint-Domingue. Positives? For one, Pearline Cordes remembered what it was like to be an elite lacrosse player once again. I can only hope that this won't be the last time we'll see the best of her, but as things stand I'm not holding out too much hope. But back to the positives. The team must have held some sort of meeting or heart-to-heart talk or whatever with each other in the days between the end of the group stage and the Round of 16 to clear the air between all of them because I have to say, this is the first time in a long time that I felt that this team was a team, you know what I mean? The players were in sync with each other; everyone knew what they were supposed to do in this situation and that. Even the passes were smoother and more planned out than they used to be. It's a welcome change from the stuffy and disjointed game we were playing for the majority of the groups. Pearline Cordes appears to be back to her old self, and now it appears she now has a little more trust and confidence in the likes of Jenelle Eure and Malcolm Richards. Maybe that's the reason why she's back to her old self. Eh, oh well. I'll take what I can get.

Now it's time for the negatives. I'm gonna say it: that scoreline has flattered us. Don't get me wrong, Saint-Domingue are a fantastic side for a team that's basically playing their first ever WLC, but they let the Amazons get away with a little too much. Understandable though; this is their first time in the WLC playoffs, I believe. It's a bit easy to get starstruck when it's your first time. But even then, some of our shots were lucky to even get in the net in the first place. A fairer score for this game, I believe, would have been 16-6, or maybe 18-6 if I'm being generous.

But now let's turn our attention to the team directly in front of us: Sarzonia. They've been in this competition for far longer than we have, but during the time that they took time off from the WLC we've come in and matched their record for most championships. They're on five titles, we're on five titles. Of course everyone wants to win this competition, but now the competition is on for who can get the most titles outright. Title Number Six is right there waiting for these two teams in the quarterfinal. It's up to either us or the Stars to get there. But I'm not holding out hope for us doing it. Apart from the previous game against Saint-Domingue, I just don't see us winning the whole thing this time around. We're piss-poor, and that's the plain and unvarnished truth. We were piss-poor for much of the group stage and our results finally caught up to us in Banija and Mapletish. And I fear the same thing is gonna catch up to us when we go up against Sarzonia. But the thing that really makes me sad about this whole thing is that this is a quarterfinal. We lose and we're out. No chance of even maybe sneaking in for a bronze. One more L and the whole thing is over for us. And it's time to break out the dread R-word yet again.

Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 am

Up next: Baker Park,
By Kenzie Sherman, Concord Heights Times

Following an 18-8 victory over WLC 33 champion St Saratoga, the nation that captured that title at Dagan Airways Stadium in Concord Heights, the Fillies are staying put at Carson Stadium to await their next opponent, Baker Park. Only eight teams remain in the WLC now, so there are no weaker teams remaining and another head to head match against our Atlantian Oceania friends should be a treat as long as it ends up in a victory. Cassadaigua and Baker Park entered this tournament in a mathematical tie for the #5 ranking, and will be looking to advance their #5 into the final four with a victory.

Lexi Looper had a strong game in the 18-8 win, with three goals and five assists, earning her the honors of player of the game. Jessica Crockett had four goals in the win, and overall it was a well played effort against St Saratoga. All of the attention now is on Baker Park, and Looper was quick to compliment the next opponent, “I think you look at a coach like Brittany Franklin and realize how good her gameplans are. That is a hard working team, and it all stems from the level of leadership that they are able to get.” Crockett also praised Franklin, “She is one of those people that you really can look up to as a player.” Of course, the biggest skeptics will read between the lines here and suggest that Looper and Crockett, the two most outspoken critics of Sarah Cortez are using Brittany Franklin as a means of saying that Cortez is not doing those things.

Sarah Cortez made another slip of the tongue in her post game interview when she was quoted as saying, “Baker Park is certainly a great nation, and just look at them right now as they bid to co-host the upcoming Cup of Harmony with Northwest Kalactin. Another head to head decision between them, and our bid with Tikariot.” As those who follow soccer know, the intended co-hosts of our nations were reversed. Cortez later referred to it as a mis-speak, but when people are looking for any possible slip up, that is one that can get ridiculed. Former assistant coach Heather McMahon, who has been somewhat quiet in recent days said of the effort, “the team is doing a great job, and that is a compliment to the players and the wonderful on-field leadership of Jessica Crockett.”
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:47 am

Dominant Victory sends HUElavia to the Quarter-Finals!

Qzvarkian Qaz 4-14 HUElavia
(Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk)

For the second time in HUElavian Lacrosse History, Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos were participating in the Round-of-16 of the World Lacrosse Championship. This time around, the team was facing against Qzvarkian Qaz, debutants of the WLC that were looking to make a name for themselves. The A-Team was on the field to start out the game, as they looked to get the victory to secure another appearance in the Quarter-Finals, all while a strong amount of HUElavians were present in support of the team. The match was played at Ground of Dunkirk (43,000) in Dunkirk.

The game was a strong domination of the HUElavians from start to finish. The first quarter saw a scoreline of 4-1, followed by 4-1 in the second quarter, 3-1 in the third quarter, and 3-1 in the fourth quarter. Seven different scorers were present in the match, each getting two goals each. The list is as follows: Rodriguez, Buonanotte, Sulca, Sissoko-Nunes, Artigas, Yamada, and Meireles de Lima. All 7 of them celebrated in joy and congratulated each other for their efforts. For Qzvarkian Qaz, it was only Szabewciki and Babcock each slotting two goals that put them on the scoreboard, but their efforts were not enough, as they were outmatched by the HUElavians. When the referee blew his whistle, the HUElavian crowd roared and jumped to celebrate the victory, while the team went on the pitch to shake hands and congratulate Qzvarkian Qaz for their efforts in the tournament and to thanks the fans for showing up for the match. For the second time in HUElavian history, the Lacrosse team was in the "Elite Eight" of the WLC.

With the victory, the team will now face off against the No. 2 team of Lacrosse, Vangaziland. They come off an impressive 8-2 victory against Silvedania. Now the match will be played once again at Ground of Dunkirk, in Dunkirk, where fans will come to show up and cheer on & pray for the team. The team continues to train and study their opponents, looking to make a historic and upset victory, with a spot in the Semi-Finals for the WLC on the line. Here's to hoping the team can deliver and make a good name for themselves once again. Regardless of what happens, the fans and the nation are proud of this team for what they've accomplished in this tournament.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!

Vangaziland
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Vangaziland » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 pm

Prince Fritjof Vang Tours With Playoff Team

Everybody on the roster of the Vangaziland Royals National Lacrosse Team was surprised when a special guest joined them on the sidelines. Vangaziland faced Silvedania in the first post-group stage match of WLC 36. Footage shows the excited reaction of the Vannish bench after Fritz snuck onto the field during the first quarter. He sat near the back of the team with a hat low over his head until the first timeout.

Sam Perry and Jimmy Lattersen both jumped and shouted together. Rookie Mainlander Ola Henglund swore and pulled the long strands of hair which fell out underneath his helmet. Sheila Hancourt screamed in shock. Lizzie Borhanson and Stella Dahl both screeched in delight.

The reaction which drew the most attention was that of 6’4 defender Wilhelmina Stenbeck. The rough and tumble lady is known for her role as chief enforcer on the Vannish d-line. She is quick to get in anybody’s face and often keeps her own teammates in check with the same strictness.

On noticing Prince Fritz, she took off her helmet and began fanning her face with both hands. “He’s the heir to the Vannish throne”, she said, sounding almost exhausted. Her cheeks are forehead flushed bright red. Stenbeck had twisted her ankle early in the game. She was taken out before the first timeout and had been seen telling the coach she didn’t want to sit out too long.

After spotting Prince Vang, she seemed resolved not to get back on the field. “I just want to rest it to see how it feels”, a microphone caught the defender sheepishly telling assistant coach Sheila Hancourt. She then nervously backed away from the coaching staff and rejoined the circle of people around Prince Fritz. Wilhelmina blushed heavily when Fritz mentioned seeing her goal in the previous game.

Prince Vang also seemed to spend a lot of time around Oceanic Vangazi like Ago Mitt, Siim Laar and Kuldar Opik. “I want you all to know the entire Empire stands with you”, he said as he took them aside for a private conversation. Your nation is not just a resource or some staging ground to give our military a hypothetical foothold into Atlantian Oceania.”

“Wait what?” A shocked Ain Vesik posed the hypothetical query, seemingly wondering if Prince Vang had let a freudian slip escape.

“You are our sisters and brothers, our comrades and compatriots. You are us and we are you”, Fritz continued.

The distracting aspect of the Vannish figurehead seemed to have an effect on the scoreline. The Royals had their least effective offensive performance of the season. The Vannish guest may have also bolstered Silvedania, a team which seemed to fight extra hard to stop Vangaziland.

Jimmy Lattersen scored three in a hat trick built by his professionalism and concentration. He only said a few words to the prince and seemed more focused on the game than anybody. Ago Mitt scored twice, both seemingly the result of won ground balls and his rebounding effort. Kask, Sibul and Dahl rounded out the scoring.

Stella seemed to take a strong role as a facilitator. She was even more vocal than usual, slowing down the game and calling plays. One Vannish sports pundit criticized Dahl saying she, “was playing general to impress the prince.” The journalist blamed her for the low scoring. Many reminded the pundit that she always held such a role, even if seemingly more visible with it this time.

Dahl later criticized the talking head saying, “Silvedania played well. They kept us back. Prince Vang had nothing to do with my play calling.”

Stenbeck also drew attention for her postgame interview. When asked if she used her injury as an excuse to hang out with Prince Vang she immediately became defensive. “What? No? I mean.. It was a sprain. A very bad sprain. What do you want me to do? Tear my achilles? It felt weak and sore. It could tear. My teammate in college, Amy Shaw, tore her ACL like that. What? So What? I mean, if I was hurt I might as well hang out with him.” A post game x-ray showed what doctors called an ‘extremely minor’ sprain.

Coach Hancourt spoke on Stenbeck’s injury after the game. “We told her to rest and heal. Things were fine on the defensive side. It’ll be good to rest some players before things get wild in later rounds.”

Prince Fritz spoke on his view of the experience. “It was great fun”, he said. “I really look up to this team and am proud of how they represent our nations. Without them, the Empire wouldn’t even be a footnote in international sporting history.” Fritz is a former military officer and current reservist. A younger Prince Vang participated in the ‘sailing - one person dinghy’ event in Olympiad XII, as well as several domestic and international events leading up to that.

Fritz mentioned he will be on the sidelines for the rest of the season. “I’ll stay out of the coaches’ way next time”, he said with a grin. Prince Vang is in a relationship with the Chancellor of the United Nation of Europa, Linda Schulte. Fans of the pair refer to them as ‘Litz’, one of the most high-visibility power couples in Vangaziland. Supporters of the pair wrote angry messages to Wilhelmina Stenbeck, calling her out for ‘fawning over’ or ‘flirting with’ Prince Fritz.

Stenbeck responded via her Pifflenet account. “You ladies are exaggerating. So what? All we did was laugh. I’m not flirting. No way. These are just fanboys and fangirls of the Auster Storm complaining to pick at me.” Stenbeck spoke of a rivalry within an inter-imperial league. Stenbeck’s Dirktown Miners beat the Auster squad led by Lizzie Borhanson and Sam Perry for the VLL Championship

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Vangaziland 8-12 HUElavia @ Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk
Baker Park 8-18 Cassadaigua @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough
Abanhfleft 4-2 Sarzonia @ The Trees, Pesfield
Kriegiersien 4-22 Banija @ Sunlife Stadium, Halpenley

Semi-Final Bracket
HUElavia - Cassadaigua @ Sentient Oval, Kirkham
Abanhfleft - Banija @ Avondale International Sports Stadium, Avondale
Last edited by Sylestone on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports