NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup of Hockey XLI (41) Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Terre Septentrionale
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Septentrionale » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:05 pm

OOC: Instead of my usual newspaper article, here's a live broadcast.

Jean-Louis Lavoie-Renaud (analyst): Welcome back to la soirée du hockey, we're live from Wojewódzka Hala Widowiskowo-Sportowa w Trzczeszynski in Trzczeszyn and the score is 1-0 Austrakia after 40 minutes. How do we analyse this game so far?

Bruno Bruneau-Brunet (play by play and analyst): Well, one word: frustrating...

Jean-Louis: Exactly what I think... we have 28 shots on goal so far in two periods and still no goal.

Bruno: Jakob Bergweis is stealing the game so far...

Jean-Louis: Yeah...

Bruno: It's weird, we keep losing agaist bad teams and we drew against Siovanija and Teusland

Jean-Louis: Yeah... some weird results... the same thing happens to Québec, I think the score is still 0-0 in their game against some unranked nation.

Bruno: Talking about Québec, they're our next opponent. What to expect agaist them?

Jean-Louis: Well maybe another draw? Seriously both us and Québec are underachieving and I don't know what to expect.

Bruno: Our players need to focus on hockey and don't get distracted by anything in Québec.

Jean-Louis: What do you mean?

Bruno: I mean... you know... sex and weed...

Jean-Louis: Oh yeah I understand... prostitution and soft drugs are illegal here. Some players may be tempted when they visit Québec.

Bruno: Yeah, exactly.

Jean-Louis: So... I wanted us to make predictions since we almost reached the halfpoint of the tournament, but Christian isn't with us...

Bruno: Well, we can start without him, his predictions are always dumb anyways...

Jean-Louis: ok... let's start with group A. Who do you see making the playoffs out of...

Christian Archambault (some dumb fan): Hey what's up guys sorry for being late!

Bruno: It's ok Christian... well, in group A I see Mercedini and Taeshan. Mercedini is the highest ranked team and Taeshan they're hosting this tournament, so they want to win it at home.

Jean-Louis: Same here, I think Mercedini and Taeshan will advance. What about you Christian?

Christian: Yo I think the Frozen Forrest because they're gunna freeze everyone and Jamie the Elephant because elephants are cool!

Bruno: Elejamie used to be one of the best team but they stopped participating and now they're coming back.

Jean-Louis: Yeah, but they don't have the team to win this year... maybe next year. Ok group B... I see Neu Engollon and Graintfjall.

Bruno: Neu Engollon because they're one of the best hockey nation and HUElavia because they looks very confident and they're slightly better than Poafmersia and Graintfjall.

Christian: Poof mersia because I like to say poof and I think West Florida will move to Québec City cuz that's a better hockey market!

Jean-Louis: You can't move a nation to the capital city of another nation!

Bruno: Pretty dumb..

Jean-Louis: Ok... group C... I see Savojarna and Reçueçn. What about you?

Bruno: Savojarna, once again, they're a great hockey nation... and TJUN-ia, I think this team have a good momentum...

Christian: Troll because that's an awesome name and Sylestone because I fell in love with them in the last World Cup of Hockey.

Jean-Louis: Troll?

Bruno: I guess he means Tjorl.

Jean-Louis: Oh... ok. We'll skip group D and go directly to group E... I pick Cassadaigua and Banija

Bruno: same here, Cassadaigua and Banija. Fluvannia are a good team, but the other two are just too good for them.

Christian: Fluffyania because I love fluffy things and Reqwazaquébécoisland because Québécois are the best at hockey!

Jean-Louis: Oh, let's move forward to group F... I see Valanora and Gyatso-Kai

Bruno: Valanora because they're unbeatable and I like Tikariot so I'm gonna pick them, this team will surprise us because everyone knows Gyatso-Kai is a more established team.

Christian: Silvadonia because I don't know and Jitsu-Kawaï because that's an awesome name!

Jean-Louis: Group G, I pick Abanhfleft and Kelssek

Bruno: It's hard to exclude Kelssek, but this is an interesting group and anyone can win it. I'll say Abanhfleft and The Fortem.

Christian: Equestria because I love this nation and maybe Ontario because I believe they play hockey in Ontario and they should play Québec in the playoffs lol

Jean-Louis: Group H, I see Vilita and Turori and Ko-oren

Bruno: Same here: Vilita and Turori and Ko-oren

Christian: Chromatika because I love lady Gaga and Gregory because their enemy crushers are gunna crush anyone!

Jean-Louis: It's not Gregoryisgodistan, it's Gergary, a much different nation!

Bruno: Yeah

Jean-Louis: Ok, lastly.. our group. Honestly, I don't know what to expect, Québec and us are suppose to be better than New Waldensia. I still say Siovanija and Teusland and Québec

Bruno: No love for us? I think we can sneak in the playoffs ahead of New Waldensia and Québec. Siovanija and Teusland will top this group.

Christian: We can't bet against Québec in hockey, so I say Québec and Terre Septentrionale.

Jean-Louis: Thanks for your predictions Christian... so talking again about Québec, they're our next opponent. Bruno, do you think we can beat them? Are we tough enough to play them?

Bruno: Considering they've been unable to beat New Waldensia and Austrakia, I believe anything can happen, and by anything, I mean yes, we can beat them. I believe our players should use their speed and keep their heads up, and capitalize on the power play. That's the key against them.

Bruno: To answer your other question, if they decide to goon it up, we can't rivalise. We need to focus on using our speed and scoring goals and don't retaliate if they try to goon it up. however, by precaution, I believe Wlodzimierz Puck should be inserted in the line up instead of Frédérique Lainé. I know that Puck if a left winger and Lainé plays right wing, but Puck played both wings in the midget. I know it's a long time ago, but he can do it for 10 minutes in one game. It's not like if he played 20 or 25 minutes. Puck is a power forward and can retaliate against Québec's tough play. Other players who will fight back are Günther Schützenauer, Elizabeth Yamamoto and Zygfryd Zurkowski.

Jean-Louis: Thanks Bruno... It's time for a commercial break and the 3rd period will start after the break. It's actually 1-0 Austrakia after 40 minutes.
Nation name: République de Terre Septentrionale | Trigramme: RTS | Capital: Ville Jacques-Cartier | Maps
Ranks: Hockey: 20th | American Football: 7th | Baseball: 17th | Association Football: 23rd | Rugby Union: 21st
Champions:
Runner Up: Cup of Harmony 76, International Baseball Slam XI
3rd Place: World Volleyball Expo X, International Baseball Slam XII, World Lacrosse Championship XXXV
4th Place: Arena Bowl VI
World Cup participations: WC 85 (3rd place in group), WC 86 (3rd place in group)

Mercedini
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mercedini » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:56 pm

World Cup of Hockey Group Stage Day 4
@ Shebnatsiya Ice Palace - Shebchesik, Mercedini

Shebnatsiya Ice Palace is the home rink of HK Dynamo Shebchetsik of the Mercedinian Super League. Hence, it's red and white colour scheme!

MD4 Quickie: Fine Margins In A Tight Group
In a group of fine margins, the gaps are beginning to show in Group A with Mercedini and Taeshan breaking clear of the chasing pack by the end of the fourth match day. All of this came following Dini's narrow 3-2 win at home to Lorenthia, while tournament hosts Taeshan only needed a single goal to take all two points away from The Frozen Forrest. Mercedini have taken seven points out of a possible eight so far and sit a point above the aforementioned tournament hosts, who themselves hold a further two point gap over third place. With one more game to go before the end of the group stage first half, the Kingfishers are guaranteed to hold a qualifying spot, although they could further help their chances with one final win over Ranoria before the reverse fixtures of played out.

For Mercedinian fans, the group stage has been a welcome relief to the relative turmoil and disappointment of last edition's shock elimination, but this teams knows better than anyone the early result do not mean anything if you cannot follow through during the second half. These results look good for now, although the reverse fixtures could be the sting in the tail to kill off Mercedinian hopes. So, until there is a big-ass green 'Q' next to our names, nothing is certain.

World Cup of Hockey XLI • Group A
. Group A                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts    H    A 
1 Mercedini 4 3 1 0 12 7 +5 7
2 Taeshan 4 3 0 1 7 5 +2 6 4-2 -
3 The Frozen Forrest 4 2 0 2 5 6 −1 4 5-3 -
4 Lorenthia 4 1 1 2 6 8 −2 3 3-2 -
5 Elejamie 4 0 2 2 1 3 −2 2 - 0-0
6 Ranoria 4 0 2 2 5 7 −2 2 - -

Group A • MD5
Ranoria vs. Mercedini @Specter Industries Arena - Richardson, Ranoria

Quickly running down the game, it was an exciting night for all in attendance in Shebchetsik with only five goals shared between the two sides this time. However, it came down to the very final few minutes of the game with Mercedini fighting to hold their lead, while Lorenthia were putting their bodies on the line to steal a point in the Ice Palace in front of a packed Mercedinian crowd. In the end, it was a late power-play conversion from Berard Santo which gave Dini the edge in the third period. It was a lead which was under threat at multiple times throughout the match. Nevertheless, the defensive line, spurred on by the home crowd, ultimately held firm to secure another inspiring victory for the crowd in Shebchetsik by a margin of three goals to two (1-0, 1-2, 1-0).

It means that Mercedini will lie up in the Specter Industries Arena in Ranoria for their final match in the first half, which will complete their first round robin of the group stage. Ranoria are currently bottom of the group, having picked up their two points from two draws in four games. It is safe to say there are no easy games in the World Cup of Hockey, so it is likely that head coach Selignsky will play as close to full strength as possible before the mid-group interval. Upon the conclusion of that game, the Kingfishers would have played each of their group rivals, meaning knowledge and experience of previous encounters will be fresh in the minds of the players and the staff. A draw will be enough to share the lead with Taeshan, should the tournament hosts beat Elejamie on their day five match. However, a win would confirm the number one spot for Mercedini at the end of the first half, regardless of what happens around the rinks in Group A.

Echoing something that was said in our last report, shocks and surprises seem to be few and far between this time around, which should be welcome relief to us if form is anything to go by. We will be cluing you in to all of the action over the next couple of weeks, not only in our group but also the rest of the tournament, so stay tuned to Mercedini Sports Daily so you don't miss a shot!
.................................................................................................................................
Novapax Founder • Host Portfolio • Trophy Cabinet
World CupBest: Group Stage ('77, '81, '82, '83)
Cup of HarmonyBest: Champion ('72)
U21 World CupBest: 3rd Place ('43)
U18 World CupBest: Champion ('4)
Independents CupBest: Champion ('5)
WC of HockeyBest: 2nd Place ('37)
WJHCBest: Champion ('13)
WorldVision
Best Placing: 1st (Lipa '72)Most Points: 108 pts (Lipa '72)

World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 1st ('34 & '36)Most Pts: 34 pts (Mousiki '31)
Junior World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 3rd ('3, '4 & '5)Most Pts: 26 pts (Tushlark '5)
Mercedini in WVSC & WHFs

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Fillies Cruise To Win,
By Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

It was another good day in the World Cup of Hockey for Team Cassadaigua, as they cruised to a 6-1 win over Northwest Kalactin. There was some thought heading into this competition that Northwest Kalactin could be a spoiler in this group, but as of this point, that has not happened. That team finds themselves in the basement of Group E and still looking for their first win. For Cassadaigua, the team has been on good form since the start, getting a tie against an unappreciated Fluvannia side, as well as three victories.

In this game, the team was able to carry their momentum from the three goal third period against Banija, a nation that has finally decided to announce their players to the world. Perhaps losing to us was their motivation for that, and when we play them next time, it will be good to put names on the faces. For now, against Northwest Kalactin, it was a fast start for the Dagans, immediately forcing the pace of play and getting chances on net against this side that also has not revealed the names of their players. Cassadaigua put two behind the goalie in each of the games three periods. Abby Dayton scored twice, with Samantha Dryden, Lauren Potvin, Mikayla Conrad and Courtney Burnett scoring the goals. Katie Quigley added three assists along the way. In net, Travis Anderson stopped 20 of the 21 shots he faced. Cassadaigua outshot Northwest Kalactin for the match, 45-21.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Matchday 5 Cutoff...

Reminder tomorrow is an off day, me and Quebec have to practice our arousing rendition of Just Give Me a Reason for the opening ceremony.

Group A
Lorenthia 1–2 The Frozen Forrest
Ranoria 1–3 Mercedini
Taeshan 2–3 Elejamie

Group A                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Mercedini 5 4 1 0 15 8 +7 9
2 Taeshan 5 3 0 2 9 8 +1 6
3 The Frozen Forrest 5 3 0 2 7 7 0 6
4 Elejamie 5 1 2 2 4 5 −1 4
5 Lorenthia 5 1 1 3 7 10 −3 3
6 Ranoria 5 0 2 3 6 10 −4 2

Group B
Bleronia 3–3 NPC West Florida
HUElavia 1–2 Neu Engollon
Graintfjall 0–1 Poafmersia

Group B                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Neu Engollon 5 3 2 0 13 7 +6 8
2 Poafmersia 5 3 1 1 13 10 +3 7
3 HUElavia 5 3 0 2 9 8 +1 6
4 Graintfjall 5 1 2 2 2 3 −1 4
5 NPC West Florida 5 0 3 2 7 13 −6 3
6 Bleronia 5 0 2 3 9 12 −3 2

Group C
Tjorl 3–5 Sylestone
Reçueçn 3–0 Transvolcanic
TJUN-ia 3–3 Savojarna

Group C                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Reçueçn 5 4 1 0 11 2 +9 9
2 Savojarna 5 3 2 0 20 11 +9 8
3 Transvolcanic 5 3 0 2 15 17 −2 6
4 TJUN-ia 5 2 1 2 14 12 +2 5
5 Sylestone 5 1 0 4 14 18 −4 2
6 Tjorl 5 0 0 5 9 23 −14 0

Group D
Austrakia 2–6 Siovanija and Teusland
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 2–3 Terre Septentrionale
New Waldenesia 1–1 United Hemand Istria

Group D                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Siovanija and Teusland 5 3 2 0 15 5 +10 8
2 New Waldenesia 5 3 1 1 13 12 +1 7
3 Austrakia 5 2 1 2 9 12 −3 5
4 Terre Septentrionale 5 2 1 2 10 9 +1 5
5 Royal Kingdom of Quebec 5 0 3 2 9 11 −2 3
6 United Hemand Istria 5 0 2 3 4 11 −7 2

Group E
Megistos 0–7 Cassadaigua
Rwekazaland 0–1 Banija
Northwest Kalactin 0–1 Fluvannia

Group E                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Cassadaigua 5 4 1 0 29 11 +18 9
2 Banija 5 4 0 1 13 6 +7 8
3 Fluvannia 5 2 2 1 11 10 +1 6
4 Megistos 5 1 2 2 6 13 −7 4
5 Rwekazaland 5 1 0 4 12 21 −9 2
6 Northwest Kalactin 5 0 1 4 3 13 −10 1

Group F
Gyatso-Kai 1–0 Silvedonia
Tikariot 1–4 Valanora
-Anthor- 3–2 Kohnhead

Group F                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Valanora 5 4 1 0 16 4 +12 9
2 Gyatso-Kai 5 2 2 1 13 9 +4 6
3 -Anthor- 5 3 0 2 9 14 −5 6
4 Tikariot 5 1 2 2 11 13 −2 4
5 Kohnhead 5 1 2 2 9 11 −2 4
6 Silvedonia 5 0 1 4 4 11 −7 1

Group G
Abanhfleft 6–3 The Fortem
Ontorisa 1–6 Equestria
Flekkefjord 0–1 Kelssek

Group G                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Abanhfleft 5 4 0 1 18 10 +8 8
2 Equestria 5 3 0 2 15 6 +9 6
3 Kelssek 5 3 0 2 10 12 −2 6
4 The Fortem 5 2 1 2 9 11 −2 5
5 Ontorisa 5 2 1 2 12 15 −3 5
6 Flekkefjord 5 0 0 5 9 19 −10 0

Group H
United States of Devonta 1–0 Chromatika
Gergary 0–1 Ko-oren
Vilita and Turori 3–4 Nova Anglicana

Group H                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Ko-oren 5 4 0 1 4 1 +3 8
2 Vilita and Turori 5 3 1 1 6 4 +2 7
3 United States of Devonta 5 3 1 1 8 6 +2 7
4 Chromatika 5 2 0 3 2 3 −1 4
5 Gergary 5 1 0 4 3 6 −3 2
6 Nova Anglicana 5 1 0 4 7 10 −3 2
Last edited by Taeshan on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Puck Watch: The Greatest Draw Ends The First Half

Postby TJUN-ia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 am

After an entertaining win in Sylestone, it was finally time for the big game. The Ice Jaguars would host 6th-ranked Savojarna at The Rink in The Gardens of New Washington. It may be small at only 7500 capacity, but it certainly was rocking for the affair tonight. Ølson Rasmussen's Jags were 2-2 entering tonight and he of all people knew that Savojarna weren't just going to allow TJUN-ia to get 2 points easily. Heck, even a draw seemed unlikely as the teams took to the ice to thunderous applause but the game everyone was about to see would certainly be an interesting one.

This game would see one goal from each side in all 3 periods, all of which involving the hosts falling behind and then tieing the game up. Eythor Malinsson scored the first goal of the first only for Julian Visipils to get his 7th goal in 5 games to tie it up. The 2nd saw the Savojars take the lead once more, Jonas Gulbrandsson getting past Jakob Vaduz this time, only for the Jaguars to tie it up again, Callum Sorento-Lineker out of nowhere to beat Niklas Hoyman. The 3rdand final period would see this again, with Boris Aljekhin finding the net first before Danil Svengren tied it up with only 5 minutes to play. The rest of the game was very tight but no one could get that elusive 4th goal by the time the final buzzer arrived. TJUN-ia had taken a point away from Savojarna in an entertaining contest.

A point is a point, but this point is the final act of TJUN-ia's first half. At 2-1-2, 5 points and 4th are what TJUN-ia are left with after the first 5 games. It certainly could've been worse but it also could've been way better if things went our way against Transvolcanic. Speaking of Transvolcanic, TJUN-ia will host them to kick off the 2nd half. Can the Jaguars overcome the 3=point deficit to 2nd in order to make the playoffs. It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group C)
MD1: @Transvolcanic (UR) - VIC Hockey Arena, Volkansfort L 3-4 (T-4th)
MD2: vs Tjorl (UR) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington W 3-0 (4th)
MD3: @Recuecn (15) L 1-2 (4th)
MD4: @Sylestone (51) W 4-3 (4th)
MD5: vs Savojarna (6) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington D 3-3 (4th/5pts/2W-1D-2L/+2GD)
-----------------------OFF DAY-----------------------
MD6: vs Transvolcanic (UR) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington
MD7: @Tjorl (UR)
MD8: vs Recuecn (15) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington
MD9: vs Sylestone (51) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington
MD10: @Savojarna (6)
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 am

Making matters surrounding a professional league even more complex is the issue of the leagues feeding it. Right now, everything below the semi-professional league is a mess of small, regional competitions with any number of teams. In some cases, a region has two teams which play each other forty to fifty times a season - save for the occasional traveling team that wants to take on these two teams in a single weekend. Results are rarely recorded, as in, they're not very important anyway. Below the semi-pro league you delve into the world of recreational sports straight away, and that's not the case for any of the other pro leagues of the archipelago.

"Maybe that's an issue best left for when everything is on the road. There's already a lot that needs to be done, and the scouts are working fine as is. I think this is the least of our problems for now" is the opinion of most front offices.

Some want to take matters into their own hands. "There's clearly a market for more ice hockey, so this is the best moment to set it up," a so far unnamed group of investors says. "It's now or never. In the worst case scenario, a bunch of clubs at that level are much better prepared for the world, and they can go back to what it was like. At the very least, it's a good way of rewarding places that can't get a pro team with quality play."

Meanwhile, the Green and Blue continue their streak of 1-0 wins. It's rarely pretty, they're well deserved, but it never feels like a game is over until it's well and truly over. Since the loss to the Cove, the team managed four straight wins, and every single result was 0-1 or 1-0, and that includes the loss as a matter of fact. Vilita and Turori finally lost (to last placed Nova Anglicana), which means that the Dragonflies are on top of the group. In time for the second slate of five games. The 1-0 wins make one thing very clear: you need a draw or another win to maintain the H2H record. Cutting it close is fine, as long as you win, but the razor sharp edge between victory and defeat rarely goes the right way for an entire group stage. It's not just the Cove dwellers that are looking for an upset, Devonta is also still well in reach of the Round of 16.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Changes at Interior as Voss moves to make ministry his own

John McAvoy, Political Columnist, Londinium Courier

When the new government took over, National Party leader and Deputy King Voss was appointed the new Interior Minister. As most of my readers will know, the Interior Ministry is the ministry responsible for preserving domestic security, as well as ensuring that elections are free and fair. As all of my readers will also know, it was also the agency responsible for surveilling Voss and his National Party last year, leading to the defeat at the polls of the Blackwood government. Understandably, some were worried about reprisals at the Ministry and still others were worried about placing such a vital ministry in the hands of a party who some saw as unacceptably radical on certain issues. While there is no evidence of the Nationals utilising the Ministry in a dangerous manner, Voss has made some changes. First and foremost, he has replaced the former Deputy Secretary (Deputy Secretaries are always civil servants) Roger Baldwin with Brian Goodman, a career civil servant who achieved a measure of notoriety by penning an op-ed in Orville News about alleged duplicity and corruption within the Ministry as connected to former Interior Minister Warren Berry, then becoming a high-profile media surrogate for the National Party on security issues. Berry and others were dismissed by the Blackwood government. Voss has also named businessman and National Party functionary Jack Ellis as the new head of the Domestic Security Agency. Ellis is the head of a security company that has contracted with the Ministry and other governments on numerous occasions, but is perhaps more well-known for appearing on right-wing talk shows to discuss the need to direct government surveillance against "radical Islamic terrorist groups in Nova Anglicana."

Sources within the Ministry indicate that many of the civil servants, both higher and lower-level, are upset with the changes, as well as Voss' heavy-handed new "internal assessments" and proposed changes to who the government regards as a threat. Off the record, other employees disparage Goodman as a decent analyst, but far too partisan to be entrusted with the #2 position. They are also unhappy with the choice of Ellis, whose priorities align with Voss in terms of viewing Islamism as the biggest terror threat. They argue that Nova Anglicana's relatively low percentage of Muslims make them an unlikely source of significant terror activity. Of course, disgruntled civil servants are nothing new when there is a change in government, but Berry had been Interior Minister for so long and the PJP so long in government, that change is more difficult to adapt to. Voss also has apparently instituted a series of "internal assessments", consisting of interviews and surveys that sources say are purportedly designed to "evaluate the quality of Ministry employees", but in reality seem more like loyalty tests or screens for bias against conservative politics or the National Party. It seems as though Voss believes that the issues that led to his party's surveillance run deeper than the dismissals Blackwood made last year.

As news of these developments have trickled out to the public, there has been the usual hue and cry from both sides. Opponents of the new government are crying witch-hunt and discrimination against Muslims, while conservatives and supporters of the new government have applauded the moves to "re-balance" the Ministry and provide more effective leadership. Of course, those on the extreme right fringe are insisting that Voss must complete a wholesale restructuring of Ministry personnel in order to eliminate the threat of the "deep state" undermining the Ramsey government, but nobody takes these sorts of people too seriously. At least, I hope not. Perhaps more troubling than the National Party installing new leadership and changing the Ministry's priorities (yawn) are the reports that Ellis is steering government contracts to firms associated with him and his allies. As a condition of his accepting the DSA job, Ellis had to leave his position at his own company and divest himself of his stock in it, but sources within the Ministry say that no-bid contracts or contracts that favor friends or former business partners of Ellis are increasingly discussed or included in procurement and operations discussions. This kind of corruption is something we thought we had rooted out in the Nova Anglican government; this could be a fruitful area for journalists to do a little digging.

Finally, there has been no public, impassioned defense of Voss' actions at Interior by the PM, Michael Ramsey. Although he's been asked on numerous occasions, all of his answers have been some variation of, "The Interior Ministry's job is to keep Nova Anglicans safe, and this government will do that." Now, how long the press will really accept that as an answer is up to them, but it's worth noting that Ramsey hasn't uttered some version of "We support the job King Voss is doing at Interior". It's a tricky situation for Ramsey, since the national anthem controversy and now the issues at Interior (both involving Voss in some way) have kept him from focusing on the tax overhaul he says this country badly needs. However, he needs support from Voss' National Party to stay in government, and if he kicked them out, voters might blame him for failing to effect real change. He also has to consider shoring up his right flank, as the Nationals have grown in recent years, and have drawn a good number of right-wing former PP voters into the fold, along with heterodox or non-ideological voters who previously supported the PJP. For now, he appears likely to mostly overlook Voss' actions in order to secure passage of his preferred tax bill. We'll see how long that holds up.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

United Hemand Insia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby United Hemand Insia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm

By the way, it's United Hemand Insia, not Istria.
Pro: right-wing, -life, military, police, guns, capitalism, democracy, LGBT, there's more but I can't currently think of them.
Anti: Left-wing, -choice, racial injustice, Democrats, communism, socialism, liberal, social, there's also more but I can't think of them right now.
"Looking at the rain people!" - Dion
Long Live Harry Potter
Πρέπει να είμαστε ένα με τον εαυτό μας, όχι με τον κόσμο. Πρέπει να καταλάβουμε τον εαυτό μας πριν καταλάβουμε τους άλλους.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:10 pm

HUElavia Fall in Tight Finish against Neu Engolion

HUElavia 1–2 Neu Engollon
(Banco da HUElavia Arena, HUEsilia)

HUElavia came into Matchday 5 needing to rebound against Neu Engolion, the current leader of Group B and one of the top favorites to win the World Cup of Hockey. Both teams fielded their best players on the rink, looking to one-up each other. The match was played at a sold-out Banco da HUElavia Arena (21,000) in HUEsilia, the first time the team was playing there. Regardless, the match did not go as Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos wanted. The opening goal would come late in the 1st Period, as Mastroni gave a pass to Swenssen, who came through the side to blast it past Vasilevskiy into the goal to make it 0-1, stunning the HUElavian crowd. In the 2nd Period, HUElavia would start to attack more and more, looking to get the equalizer, finally getting it halfway in the period. Carmo gave a shot that had Bassati block the shot, but it landed in front of Roux, who tapped it into the goal to make it 1-1. The crowd jumped and roared as one, making the stadium rumble as Kernkraft 400 blasted in the arena with the celebrations. Despite the tying goal, it was not enough. Early in the 3rd Period, a foul by Garcon-Chevallier on Roessler gave away a 4-minute powerplay for Neu Engolion. This gave them enough momentum and space to get a pass from Schneider to LeTranc, who gave a shot that Vasilevskiy blocked, but Terfram was there to tip it past the Rus-HUElavian goalie into the goal to make it 1-2. The crowd was stunned, as well as the team. Despite the constant attacks, it would not be enough, as Bassati and the three lines of defense would come in strong to block HUElavian attacks from all around, and the match ended 1-2, with the team taking their 2nd consecutive loss in the tournament.

With the defeat, HUElavia fall to 3rd Place, still with 6 Points (3-0-2). Poafmersia close 1-0 victory over Graintfjall moves them up to 2nd Place with 7 Points (3-1-1), while Neu Engolion maintains 1st Place with 8 Points (3-2-0). Regardless, the Top 3 is very tight and the team will train and study their opponents well as they look to do well for the 2nd half of the Group Stage. The next game will be against Bleronia, who sit in 6th Place with 2 Points (0-2-3). The match will be played at HUElines Arena (18,500) in Sao Salvador. The fans will be hoping and praying for the team to turn around the standings and get a spot into the Round-of-16. All we can do as fans is to support the team and have the team train well and hard to get their edge back. Here's to a strong 2nd half of the Group Stage.

FORCA HUELAVAI VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2005

Postby Gyatso-kai » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:52 pm

.:: From the ASPN Blog After Thoughts in a Blip ::.
1720 hours, 16 November 2020.3

So, it's my birthday. Took the weekend off work, went to a medieval faire like two hours away, drank WAY too much mead and forgot to post anything when I was there. Enjoyed sleeping in that amazing hotel bed and just not worrying about anything!

So what happened while I was drunk and singing?

Well, first of, we suffered our first loss of the tournament. 3-1 against the Calcuttas, the Elves, those fiends from Valanora! Our only goal game when we were down 2-nil, and yeah Hosaka made a great shot, but it was too little too late. Even seeing Shu get pulled after letting in a final and third goal, and Ming Zhanshi getting his first start since the retirement of Bao Lin wasn't enough to energise our team. Sure, Ming faced and stopped 18 shots in the final period of the game, but without any drive from the offense, the Ice Bisons were floating dead in the water.

And per usual, after a heartbreaking defeat, the Ice Bisons (unlike our football Bisons... more on that in my next blog post) always seem to come back with a win. And sure enough, a single goal by Hed Torvik would silence the team from Silvedonia in the final match before the break. Always a pleasure to see the team learn from their mistakes and come out on top.

Though speaking of the break... what happens next?

Well, the Ice Bisons need to win out. Pure and simple. Sure, we will likely advance as second in our group if we can hold it out, but if you want a guarantee, there must be victory. We are tied with -Anthor- for second at 6pts, and we must defeat the teams we drew (Tikariot and Kohnhead), win against the teams we lost (Valanora), and dominate against the teams we defeated (-Anthor- and Silvedonia). And then, maybe, if a couple teams could sneak a draw with Valanora, we could take the Group and advance with a solid momentum!

I'm going to write up that post for AOCAF, and then get back to drinking... I think we actually advanced in that one!
The Avatarian Republic of Gyatso-kai
Denomyn: Avatarian || Trigramme: GKI || Located: Arrosia
Factbook || Armed Forces Holocron
Champions: World Cup of Hockey XXIII, XLIV, XLV, XLVIII, L, AOHC XII
Runner-Up: World Junior Hockey Championship III, World Cup of Hockey XXI, XXVI,
Third Place: World Cup of Hockey XV, XVII, XVIII, XL, XLVII

New Waldensia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waldensia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Waldensia Sports Talk 96.3FM, "The Ice House Show"
Commentators: Henrik Vardner, Charles "Chaz" Bass, and Luke Eckards

[bumper music]
"Welcome to WST 96.3, this is the one and only Ice House Show. I'm Henrik Vardner, with your favorite co-hosts Chaz Bass and Luke Eckard. We've got plenty of ice-cold news to talk about today, and it's all about that sizzling hockey puck!"

Luke Eckard: "That's right. Here we are, five days in, and our very own New Waldensia Avalanche are greatly outperforming expectations on the international stage at the World Cup of Hockey."

Chaz Bass: "Guys, let me tell you, what they've been doing out there on the ice has been spectacular. Let's remember, last WCOH? 1-1-8. 1-1-8. That was rough, for sure, but boy has coach Luther Sexton turned things around! 3 wins, one loss and one draw so far. Sitting second in Group D."

LE: "Man oh man, some of these games have been something else."

HK: "Let's talk about Coach Sexton. Chaz, you've been there on these sort of turnarounds. What has he done differently that has the Avalanche rolling like they are?"

CB: "Well, some of it is just personnel. Coach has shifted some guys around, brought some new ones on board. We even have a couple guys who just finished the World Junior Hockey Championship, and have acquited themselves pretty well. Coach added some new staff; Remington Wirth is a hot new addition, some new blood that has infused some energy that quite simply was lacking previously. Mainly, it just comes down to experience. This team may have some familiar faces, but they're greatly improved and more cohesive a unit compared to the last World Cup."

HK: "The last two games - loss, then draw. Are you at all concerned that maybe they started out hot and are cooling off?"

LE: "Not a chance. Let's look at those games. Siovanija and Teusland, they're a really good team. The game against United Hemand Insia, now, we had some injuries that hurt and let's face it, UHI got the better of our boys. I think they'll come out of the gate hungry to get something after that."

CB: "Yeah, definitely."

HK: "Defense could use some work. We've scored 13 but allowed 12. Goalie play has been an issue the last three games. What can Coach Meier do to remedy that?"

CB: "The injury to Jarvis Dunlap in the Quebec game hurt. He's got to get Stephan Portillo to step it up, and frankly, the defense needs to help out. It's not all on the goalie, but that's definitely an aspect that has to get better if the Avalanche wants to make it deep into the Cup."

LE: "I'm looking to guys like Otto Benitez and Blake Ketchum on the defensive side to have a bigger impact going forward. Haaken Olsen, he's moved up to replace the injured Jesse Beltran. Olsen's young, but man, he's got some talent. He's going to be a force as he matures."

HK: "We've got to go to break, but hang on -- we'll get to the offensive side and share some notes about what's working and what's not. We'll be right back."
IC WA Diplomat Josiah Garrett
Author of GA #414 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care) and GA #456 (Freedom to Seek Medical Care II)

Army of Freedom medals received:
N-Day² Medals -- N-Day³ Medals -- N-Day⁴ Medals
Z-Day6 Medals

Savojarna
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Savojarna » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:13 am

SAVOJARNAS DAGBLADET -- INTERNATIONAL
Savojarna’s prime news source for international readers

Former ice hockey star Kolarov to run for Assembly
St. Andrei/Russica - A spectacular turn in Savojarna’s upcoming election season: Former ice hockey star Evgeni Kolarov joins the list of Russian separatist party PSR. Kolarov stands for election in his home district of St. Andrei-Virov, and is expected to be one of the faces of the PSR’s new campaign - which could lead to surprising changes in the balance of power.

Traditionally, the Partija Svoboda Russica (PSR) is no strong force in the city of St. Andrei itself. Although many of the surroundings are reliably white votes, the city itself usually splits into one to two districts for the Christian Democrats in the affluent centre and a KPS fortress elsewhere, similar to many other Russican inland cities. However, with the new developments in candidates, this could soon change as one of Savojarna’s most prominent faces has announced to leave his current line of work as a leading hockey functionary to join the separatist list. Experts suggest that the candidature of Evgeni Kolarov, former Traktor St. Andrei and RHK Savojagrad defender, may flip the direct mandate of Virov over to the separatists for the first time since their 1985 surge. Since then, Virov had been a KPS safe seat, with only two exceptions in 1993, when a high-effort Labour campaign led to a vacant seat, and 2018’s internal challenge by the KPS/I, which saw the vote split and the seat vacant again. Now, polls suggest the PSR may win the upcoming seat with 40 to 45 percent, riding the popularity of their new lead candidate.

Evgeni Kolarov’s ice hockey career
Kolarov has played for Traktor for eleven seasons in the pre-SHS era, winning two titles
and being crowned MVP once for the Green, Gold and White. Following his second title,
he announced a move to RHK Savojagrad, where he reached play-off finals once in his
three years at the club, before retiring as the SHS was initially formed. He has never
played for Savojarna, although there is no doubt he would have if he had been around
in the international era.
Kolarov, currently in the management of the Savojarna Ice Hockey Federation (SIHF), has announced his candidature in a surprise move during the party’s annual regional delegate convention, with nobody among average members being aware of his intentions. Previous candidate Ilja Martov said: “I was internally preparing to campaign in Virov again, but the delegates have chosen Evgeni Alexejevich, which I will gladly accept if he can win us a seat. I will merrily stand back and support him, and run on the PSR list”. Current fraction leader Mikhail Strelov indicated it was a very short-term operation: “Evgeni Alexejevich’s name has first been brought to us two weeks ago by a local party member who knows him, and from then, everything has gone very fast. It’s a great chance for the PSR to have a candidate with his gravitas and name recognition in the campaign, and we are happy to see him among us”.

However, not all is harmonious in the party camp. At the local delegate convention, about a third of delegates voted for previous candidate Martov, among them the former vice party leader Oleg Shervatski. He said in an interview: “I have no doubts that Evgeni Alexejevich is committed to our party and his campaign, and that his recognition can help us significantly. But we should be careful when picking our candidates, and there is nothing to help us assess what we can expect from him. This is why I have supported Ilja Dmitrovich, a known politician with connections in the city as well as in Sjoedrhavn and with experience in the Parliament; but I am speaking as a party member. The PSR is committed to internal democracy, and as a former vice leader I have nothing to say in this matter, other than my personal vote; the control is in the hands of the current leadership and of our members”. An anonymous member even suggested that the decision was throwing away any chance at effective politics for a PR stunt, saying that Kolarov’s name was just as likely to drive away voters who disliked that sort of move and would expect more from a party as dedicated to its cause as the PSR.

Polls for the upcoming election

KPS: 23%
AP: 20%
SU: 15%
LB: 12%
KPS/I: 10%
LKPS: 8%
PSR: 7%
KDPS: 5%
Kolarov himself has presented his positions as a moderate take on the old PSR policy of Russican independence and self-governance. He has focused his acceptance speech at cultural questions of the stance of schools on the Russian language, and the teaching of Church Slavic at Russian primary and secondary schools, which has been consistenly cut back in the face of budget cuts over the recent years. He also promoted a more overtly Russian literature curriculum at the region’s schools, and vowed to campaign to end the mandatory teaching of Savojarsk as a second language at Russican schools, unless Russian would become a mandatory second language at Savojarsk schools. In a fiery speech, he has positioned himself clearly in favour of independence and the social democratic, localised economy promoted by the PSR; including the re-introduction of private property. On another sticking point, the rights of private farmers in Russica, he has decided to cling to the orthodox party line of the PSR, demanding private land ownership for small-scale farmers, rather than the more moderate position espoused by Assembly Separationists.

There is little to suggest Kolarov will be anything other than an ordinary separatist with more glamour if he gets elected, but the glamour factor may change Savojar politics significantly. On one hand, there is a realistic chance that losses to the KPS in favour of the separationist party may lead to trouble forming a government for the Communists, potentially forcing them to take Labour and the Syndicalists into their coalition (which, in turn, may lead to a loss of power for the LKPS and an overall leftwards swing) or even enabling another government. With the KPS scrambling on all sides, there is sudden hope for the left, aiming to topple the old giant; a challenge from the regional front will do anything but stabilise the troubled Communist Party. - Anders Nyström (any)

Daily Headlines

Talks between Savojarna and Adyatin about to conclude
Sjoedrhavn/Vestrholm - Talks following hostility between Savojarna and Adyatin in the past years, including multiple border violations, are about to conclude with a new agreement. The agreement increases the ability of Adyati citizens to travel to Savojarna, especially near the border; in turn, it creates more obligations for Savojarna to curb border crossings deemed illegal by Adyati officials. Resistance from the left can be expected in the Assembly.

Polls show Arbeterparti closing in
Sjoedrhavn/Vestrholm - The weekly National University of Sjoedrhavn poll radar released last night shows another increase for the Arbeterparti (AP) in the upcoming elections. Coupled with the AP's traditionally strong showing in direct mandates, this could be sufficient to make them the biggest party in the upcoming elections, giving the AP a chance to form a coalition and nominate a chairman. In such a case, the KPS would likely be involved in the government in some form, but may be reduced to second junior partner in a heavily left-wing program.

Savojarna draw in TJUN-ia
New Washington/TJUN-ia - Three goals by three players were not enough as Savojarna were held to a draw in their WCoH away game in TJUN-ia. Nonetheless, the team is on a good way towards the final round in Taeshan, sitting in second place unbeaten behind Reçueçn (unbeaten as well with 4 wins and 1 draw).
Last edited by Savojarna on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MT socialist (mostly) island state - Cultural mixture of Scandinavia, Finland and Russia -Exports iron, steel, silver and wood - Low fantasy in terms of animal species - Sports-loving - 22.8 million inhabitants.

The adjective is Savojar; Savojarnan is not a word!
I am a student of (European) politics, ice hockey fan, left-wing communist bordering on anarchy, and European federalist. Enjoy!

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Fillies Rout Megistos,
By Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

We are only halfway into the group stage of the World Cup of Hockey, but you have to be very impressed with the way this team has been putting the puck into the net. Following a 7-0 drubbing of Megistos, the pink and black improved their record to 4-1-0, and have scored 29 goals during that period. That is the most in the tournament, and nine more than Savojarna, who are second in that category. While the Fillies certainly have plenty of ability to score, no one would have projected them to be the highest scoring team through five games. And the best part of this is that scoring has generally been balanced.

The final score of the Megistos match was 7-0, but quite honestly with the way Cassadaigua controlled the game, it could have been 12-0 or more. Usually when a goalie allows seven goals, you are not giving them props, but the unknown player made their share of quality saves along the way. In the first period, Cassadaigua outshot Megistos 19-2. Just one of those shots found its way into the net, a Brittany Gomes slapper at 10:04 (assisted by Kristina Petit and Jennifer Everson). Otherwise, the Megistos goalie was incredible in the period. As the team headed back to the locker room, Samantha Dryden told the Concord Heights Times, “We have done a good job getting the puck in the zone and staying out of the box, and we need to do that for sixty minutes. Their goalie made some good stops, I wish we could know their name so we could give them better credit. We have to come out in the second period, win the battles along the boards, and do the little things out there.”

You had the feeling that with Cassadaigua only having a one goal lead after the first period, that Megistos would be uplifted, and in the first five minutes or so of the second period, they had some good chances. Travis Anderson, however, was more then ready to stop the shots. Eventually, Cassadaigua controlled the puck and this time, they were able to score more goals. At 8:37, Meghann Carmello made it 2-0 (assisted by Lauren Potvin and Danielle Turnbull), and the first line scored on their next shift, at 8:55. This is Cassidy Conti from Abby Dayton and Samantha Dryden. Those two goals, coming 18 seconds apart, made us all breathe a little deeper. Dayton scored at 15:06, assisted by Conti and Katie Quigley on the power play to make it 4-0 after two. Cassadaigua outshot Megistos 13-8 for the period, but 12-3 after the first five minutes of the middle stanza.

Period three was more of the same. Lauren Potvin got on the board just 21 seconds in, assisted by Carmello and Courtney Burnett, to make it 5-0. The final two goals were a Courtney Burnett slapper from the point on a power play, assisted by Carmello at 7:44; and then Jacob Thomas, from Mikayla Conrad and Holly Linnehan at 14:06. The Fillies outshot Megistos 14-6 in the third period, giving them a 46-16 edge for the game. They were 2-for-3 on the power play, and did not have to kill a penalty.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Terre Septentrionale
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Septentrionale » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:45 pm

The Nordiques beats Québec!

Royal Kingdom of Québec - In the final game before the mid-tournament break, Terre Septentrionale - nicknamed the Nordiques - travelled to Québec and beat them 3-2. The Reprezentacja Nordycki started on the right foot and surprised Québec by taking the lead midway in the 1st period when Kévin Beauregard broke down Kim Jeong-Yeon's pass and passed to Fryderyka Krzyszczyk who was on a breakaway. Krzyszczyk put the puck past Brianne Kigatilik and Terre Septentrionale is leading 1-0! Following this goal, Joakim Brackenbury-Lindauer tried to fight with Günther Schützenauer at the faceoff to change the momentum but Schützenauer refused to drop the gloves. Brackenbury-Lindauer was penalised for 2 minutes for roughing. Terre Septentrionale was on the power play. 2 minutes later, Antoine Lusignan tied to pass to Joanna Katarzynska-Goj at the blueline, but Ray McMillan incercepts the pass and passes to Joakim Brackenbury-Lindauer who just jumped on the ice from the penalty box. Brackenbury-Lindauer was on a breakaway and he put the puck past Nico Eggenberger to tie the game. The score was tied at 1-1 after 20 minutes.

With 8 minutes remaining in the 2nd period, Terre Septentrionale attacked when Jenny Hockey had the puck on a 2 on 2 and she passes it to Kasandra Wojcinowicz who was skating along the board. Pierre-Luc Gibson hits her along the boards. It was a clean it but she fells on the ice and she's clearly hurt. Kévin Beauregard starts chirping at him but looked like he didn't want to drop the gloves. Wojcinowicz went to the locker room and didn't come back, she was playing with an upper body injury since matchday 3 against Siovanija and Teusland but it looks like she aggravated her injury. The referree, seeing that Wojcinowicz is injured, decides to give a 5 minutes major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct to Gibson, but, to me, it was a clean it. So... Terre Septentrionale had a five minutes power play! One minute later, Jenny Hockey had the puck and she passes it to Fryderyka Krzyszczyk who shoots from the blue line. Brianne Kigatilik makes the save but doesn't control the rebound. Emilia Zyskowska takes the rebound and shoot it into the net, it's a power play goal and the score is 2-1 for the Northmen. There's still 4 minutes remaining in the power play. With just 30 seconds remaining in the power play, Joanna Katarzynska-Goj shoots the puck wide right, Antoine Lusignan gets the puck in the corner of the ice and passes to Urszula Zolnierczyk who faked to shoot and passes to Zygfryd Zurkowski, who was replacing Kasandra Wojcinowicz on the 2nd power play line. Zygfryd Zurkowski shoots and he scores, Terre Septentrionale takes a 3-1 lead!

There was more rough stuff. With no time left in the second period, Nikos Aravossitas hitted Zygfryd Zurkowski along the boards and starts chirpping at him, Wlodzimierz Puck puts his arms around Aravossitas' face and pulls him away. Marcus Park comes in and drops the gloves against Puck. Then, Aravossitas, who escaped from Puck's arms, and Zurkowski drops the gloves against each other. Sonja Pettersson and Elizabeth Yamamoto also fight each other. It's almost looking like a line brawl, however other players on the ice didn't drop the gloves. Aravossitas, Park, Pettersson, Zygfryd Zurkowski, Puck and Yamamoto are all penalised 5 minutes for fighting. Pettersson and Yamamoto are also given a game misconduct for fighting while another fight occured. Aravossitas and Zurkowski didn't recieve a game misconduct because their fight occured almost simultaneously with Park and Puck's fight.

Québec scored with 4 minutes remaining in the 3rd period when Ray McMillan was on a two on one with Kim Jeong-Yeon. McMillan passed the puck to Kim who faked to shoot but she passed it back to McMillan who puts the puck through the five hole. Chad Park-Rodriguez also got an assist on the play. The final score was 3-2 Terre Septentrionale! Following the game, the organizing committee from Taeshan, announced Pierre-Luc Gibson's hit on Kasandra Wojcinowicz was a clean hit and there will be no discipline action taken on him for that hit, meaning he won't be suspended for Québec's next game. They also announced there's no need to suspend Sonja Pettersson and Elizabeth Yamamoto, who both received a game misconduct.

BOXSCORE

1ST PERIOD
11:28 - Fryderyka Krzyszczyk assisted by Kévin Beauregard
9:19 - Joakim Brackenbury-Lindauer assisted by Ray McMillan

2ND PERIOD
6:54 - Emilia Zyskowska assisted by Fryderyka Krzyszczyk and Jennifer "Jenny Hockey" Gaudreault (PPG)
3:47 - Zygfryd Zurkowski assisted by Urszula Zolnierczyk and Antoine Lusignan (PPG)

3RD PERIOD
4:10 - Ray McMillan assisted by Kim Jeong-Yeon and Chad Park-Rodriguez

3rd place halfway

With this huge win against Québec, one of the top teams, Terre Septentrionale is in 3rd place halfway in the tournament, tied with Austrakia, with 5 points in 5 games. Siovanija and Teusland is leading the group with 8 points in 5 games, while New Waldensia is 2nd with 7 points, also in 5 games. Surprisingly, Québec is still winless and have 3 points in 5 games. On matchday 6, the Nordiques will travel to New Waldensia while Siovanija and Teusland will recieve United Hemand Insia and Québec will play at home against Austrakia. Kasandra Wojcinowicz will miss the remainder of the group stage with an upper body injury. Günther Schützenauer, a power forward, will replace her on line 1. Frédérique Lainé, who was an healthy scratch against Québec, will skate on line 3 while Roksana Nowakowska-Mikolajczyk, 21 years old, will make her World Cup debut on the 4th line with Malgorzata Niemczynowicz and Zygfryd Zurkowski. Nowakowska-Mikolajczyk is still young but she projects to be a 1st line winger who shies away from rough play.

Germain Coutu,
La tribune Septentrionale

OOC: I didn't consulted Québec before writing this RP, I hope you're fine with the game misconducts?
Nation name: République de Terre Septentrionale | Trigramme: RTS | Capital: Ville Jacques-Cartier | Maps
Ranks: Hockey: 20th | American Football: 7th | Baseball: 17th | Association Football: 23rd | Rugby Union: 21st
Champions:
3rd Place: World Volleyball Expo X, International Baseball Slam XII, World Lacrosse Championship XXXV
World Cup participations: WC 85 (3rd place in group), WC 86 (3rd place in group)

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:35 pm

The Frozen Forestrian National Hockey Team

Management
General Manager: Ivan Aleksandersen
Head Coach: Kasper Laake
Assistant Coach: Oscar Rygg
Chief Medical Trainer: Frodi Visätesson
Assistant Medical Trainer: Trond Osland

Starters
*Center: Asbjørn Sgot
Left Wing: Tobias Sparre
Right Wing: Torstein Nordholm
Left Defense: Kjell Seim
Right Defense: Gunnar Kise
Goalie: Bjørn Mickelson

*Captain

Reserves
Center: Hallgrim Lysvand
Center: Jonny Borge
Left Wing: Øystein Ingebretson
Left Wing: Petter Fjeld
Left Wing: Arild Thorkildsen
Right Wing: Lasse Ihle
Right Wing: Kristian Nordlie
Right Wing: Halvor Gill
Left Defense: Kurt Rogne
Left Defense: Peder Vea
Right Defense: Gustav Klepp
Right Defense: Runar Magnus
Goalie: Michael Rosdahl
Goalie: Axel Skaar

Match 1: The Frozen Forest Versus Elejamie

Hockey fans throughout The Frozen Forest are raving following a tense match against the Elejamian National Men's Ice Hockey Team. The match marks the first for The Frozen Forest in the 41st World Cup of Hockey and the first appearance of The Frozen Forestrian National Hockey Team in recent years. Despite a poor beginning to the match on the part of TFF's National Team it rallied itself in the third period and were able to snatch a victory after Left Winger Tobias Sparre glided past and scored a brilliantly placed shot past Elejamian's Ricardo Bejarano

Reportedly King Ivan of TFF was present following the conclusion of the match in order to congratulate The Frozen Forestrian National Hockey Team and wish them luck in future games. The Royal Family and especially the newly crowned King Ivan were strong supporters of the team in the leadup to the World Cup of Hockey and personally funded their training. Publicly the King has not made any official comments regarding the match or the victory of TFF's team.

Match 2: The Frozen Forest Versus Ranoria

In yet another tense match The Frozen Forest was able to snatch victory but only by a hair's breadth. Coming against the national team from Ranoria (A team which The Frozen Forest can contend more evenly with in comparison to the Elejamians) the team suffered almost immediately against aggressive and experienced attacks by Left Winger Augustin Khan, only preventing a goal due to several lucky saves by The Frozen Forests own Bjørn Mickelson (a fan favorite in TFF).

The Frozen Forests only goal during the match was scored by Captain Asbjørn Sgot, the center for TFF's starters. When asked about his success after the match Sgot remarked "I owe it to my team for allowing me to be in the right place at the right time to score. It wouldn't have been possible without them."

Match 3: The Frozen Forest Versus Mercedini

The Frozen Forests match against Mercedini may have left some in TFF disappointed but no one could deny that it was a difficult match. Sports analysts throughout TFF predicted a solid loss for TFF on account of the above average experience, skill and talent of the Mercedini lineup. By the third period TFF's National Team was down by four and clearly defeated with barely enough time left time left to fight back. Despite being assured of a loss the team was able to almost miraculously claw two further goals out of the remaining time in order to finish at loss of two. Both goals were scored by center Hallgrim Lysvand who had been called out of the reserves in the third period.

Lysvand is a notably the youngest player on the national team at age 19. Signed with the Rongvold Ice Otters only a year prior his enlistment to the national team came a surprise to many despite an impressive first season. The decision to bring him onto the team was ultimately made by General Manager Aleksandersen who at the time faced some backlash as a result. Reactions to Lysvand's surprise goals will likely impact his career positively and see Head Coach Laake utilizing him more in upcoming matches.

Match 4: The Frozen Forest Versus Taeshan

Fans who were disappointed by the TFF's loss against Mercedini had to taste defeat for a second time after a bitterly fought match between TFF and Taeshan which saw Taeshan narrowly win by a single goal. Despite being overseas the venue saw an unusual number of Frozen Forestrian fans who showed up perhaps to see a miraculous comeback after the near crushing defeat against Mercedini. While the confidence of the fans has been temporarily slugged the morale of TFF's Team remains high thanks to the leadership of Captain Asbjørn Sgot, one of the most experienced players on TFF's National Team.

Match 5: The Frozen Forest Versus Lorenthia

If The Frozen Forests match against Taeshan was a war of attrition then Match 5 against Lorenthia was a slugging match as both The Frozen Forest and Lorenthia played offensively against one another with less consideration given to defense. Lorenthia was first to score in the first period after it's center ghosted past TFF's defenders and deftly landed a shot into the upper right of the goal. The Frozen Forest paid it's opponents back with vicious and coordinated attacks on the wings which eventually lead to a goal in the 2nd period and another in the 3rd. These goals were scored by Left Winger Tobias Sparre and Right Winger Halvor Gill respectively.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:09 pm

DIVISION STREET JOURNAL

Monday, November 16, 2020
1 Mark

BEARS HOPE TO TURN NEW LEAF AT WCOH

NORTHWEST KALACTIN -- With the first half of group play in the books for World Cup of Hockey 41, the Fluvannia national team has battled back from a less-than impressive start to win their final two games and go a game over .500. While they need to continue pushing, especially in their first two games after the break, let's take a look around the rest of the competition to examine the teams likely to make the Round of 16; we hope the Bears will be joining them. DSJ staff picks picks are as follows:

Group A: Mercedini appears to be a lock, and host nation Taeshan should qualify as well, though they could be replaced by dark-horse candidate Elejamie.

Group B: Neu Engollon and HUElavia, whose experience should enable them to pass Poafmersia.

Group C: Reçueçn and Savojarna are likely to remain on top of this group.

Group D: Siovanija and Teusland, the top-ranked team in the world, is almost assuredly going to advance. While New Waldensia looks like a bit of a Cinderella team, don't be surprised if they have to fend off a late challenge from Terre Septentrionale either.

Group E: Cassadaigua and Banija are the two most likely to advance, unpleasant though that may be for our readers to see. If the Bears can manage to beat at least one of them in these next two games, they have a shot, but otherwise it will be almost impossible.

Group F: Valanora is a safe bet to move on, and the odds are good that Gyatso-Kai will be thankful for at least one of their ties as they advance over Anthor by the thinnest of margins.

Group G: Abanhfleft and Equestria are the two teams in this group with a positive goal differential, and they sit atop the standings at the half as a result. Kelssek may challenge, but the odds of these two teams not advancing as a pair are slim.

Group H: Ko-oren will advance; Vilita and Turori is our pick for the second spot on the basis of a better team defense overall (they have allowed four goals, where as Devonta has allowed 6; the two have identical records and goal differentials, however).

The schedule for Fluvannia's group play is as follows, with opponents and location TBD:

Wed, Nov 11: vs. Cassadaigua              T 2 - 2
Thu, Nov 12: vs. Banija L 0 - 3
Fri, Nov 13: @ Megistos T 0 - 0
Sat, Nov 14: vs. Rwekazaland W 8 - 5
Sun, Nov 15: @ Northwest Kalactin W 1 - 0

~OFF DAY~
Tue, Nov 17: @ Cassadaigua
Wed, Nov 18: @ Banija
Thu, Nov 19: vs. Megistos
Fri, Nov 20: @ Rwekazaland
Sat, Nov 21: vs. Northwest Kalactin
Pop. 213,840,408 | GDP $11.156 T | Area 572,302.6 sq. mi. (1,482,257 sq. km) | Demonym Fluvannian
Gov't Structure Federal Constitutional Principality | Monarch Crown Prince Michael
Sports Trigram FLV
A 14 civilization, according to this index. (Tech 6, Arcane 0, Influence 6)
"Greenness" Score: 0.0796
Int'l Hockey Ranks: 20th (Sr.), 3rd (Jr.)
Silver Medal, World Jr. Hockey Championship 15
Host, WJHC 15
NS World Cup Rank: 139th

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Alex Sorenson was finally feeling a bit of a relief.

After three consecutive games without scoring a single goddamn goal (two 1-0 losses to Lorenthia and The Frozen Forest and a 0-0 draw with group leaders Mercedini), the Icy Elephants would finally find the back of the net for the first time. The small amount of fans, nowhere near a quarter of the fans that turned up from WCoHs 26-38, still celebrated when Stacy Saunders managed to put the puck past Andrea Annalena with 1:45 left in the first period, thanks to a one-timer off a pass from line-mate Cerin Meloten and a bit more assistance from Adam Keane. Things seemed to be looking up and they looked to be cruising towards their first win of the competition, only for Klaus Berthold to level the scores with 5:11 left in the third, with Isaac Schrade and Bastian Mozart assisting him.

Which made the next match against the host nation Taeshan a must win. Everyone was already sore, angry and disappointed with what happened in Savojarna. Even more so when a couple of investigations into why they sucked that tournament as well as any possible shady goings-on during the tournament ended up being inconclusive. As a result of that massive boycott of the following two tournaments (which only ended due to pressure from fans and the owners of a number of ENIHL teams), players started to shed some of the talents they brought to the international game. A number of players who had competed in the past and even won trophies had retired from the international game, if not retired full stop. George Lincoln, Paul Morton, Aaron Andrews, all of them announced their retirements at the end of last season or the one before. Even famed captain Anatoly Kasputin, who helped lead his team to three championships and five finals, announced that he'll be playing out his contract in Novaya Zemlya (and, indeed, this will be his last season with Torpedo Belushya Guba) before either retiring as well or heading back home. A few others either turned down the opportunity to play for the international side again or just weren't asked to play.

Not that Sorenson ever wanted the job in the first place. When it was revealed that the Icy Elephants would be taking to the ice once again, the EIHB went through their shortlist of potential coached. Michael Madgwick and Ron Berg, the #1 and #2 picks respectively, both declined the job as they uwanted to concentrate more on the league than the international game. Numerous others, like Tim Furst, were rejected due to the Tabula Rasa approach. Andy Bailey, option #14, wanted to work more with the junior squad than the senior one as he felt he was better suited to that role. One option, Pablo Acuña, had to be taken off the shortlist as not only did he retire from coaching two years ago and stated no desire to return but he had died a few months ago from illness. They eventually decided to go with Alex Sorenson, option #19 out of 20 before moving on to a foreign coach. Sure he wasn't as experienced as most of the other people on the list but his keen eye for talent, his good work in the ENIHL2 and his big enough name meant that he wouldn't have too many people complaining about the role. Besides, he thought of himself more as a caretaker until a good enough coach could come in to take the reins. Or one of his assistant coaches could replace him.

Fortunately, he was able to find some excellent replacements for the players who weren't picked. Some of it was just simply moving players up or down a line. Famed enforcer Francisco "Franny" Solano was finally reinstated to the squad, albeit as a fourth-liner instead of on the first line. Bill Judge was finally instated onto the main squad, albeit again as a fourth liner. A couple of former players for either the under-18 squad or the junior team were brought in to fill some holes. A few players were brought in despite only having one or two years playing senior ice hockey. One new player, new starting goaltender Ricardo Bejarano, was a backup goalie for Ángeles, usually playing second fiddle to starter Pedro Cervantes (who declined to participate in this edition). Indeed, all the others were people who were considered for the national team but were rejected because they didn't fit the plan or because there was already enough depth in that part of the ice and they couldn't have fitted in anyhere else. The new roster looked solid and hopefully they would finally bring some pride back.

Bejarano was doing a great job in goal. After all, he had only conceded two goals for an entire 180 minutes. Some of it was due to some excellent defending from all three pairs, other times it was purely by himself. After all, Hispano-Elejamians usually tend to be excellent goalies and Bejarano wasn't really an exception. He kept cool under pressure, didn't punish himself for any mistakes and even tried to be his own defenders at points. It wasn't enough to completely ruin his game but it was enough to make him one of the more interesting players in the sport. The first time he conceded in the tournament, it was due to a brilliant shot from Tobias Spare of the Frozen Forest, with some assistance from line-mates Asbjørn Sgot and Torstein Nordholm, that no one could've saved barring a minor miracle. The second was thanks to a bit of clever deking that he could've done a better job to save but at the same time you couldn't have faulted him.

He didn't play the match against Ranoria, as he had been rested and replaced by Adrian Lambert. "Lambo" to his friends and teammates. He was the opposite to Bejarano in a number of ways. He was Anglo (literally as his parents came over from there), he was more aggressive, he was more interested in closing things down and he tended to shout commands to his teammates. If goalie captains were still a thing, there's no doubt that he'd be carrying the C or the A on him. And the match against Ranoria showed why. He was busy trying to get his defenders to close down the opposition. Checks were cashed in and breakaways were broken down. It even looked like he threw himself at an opposing player to try and get them sent to the penalty box for goaltender interference, although a number of video replays revealed that that wasn't the case. Of course, he did mess up when he was just unable to save the aforementioned shot from Berthold but it was the only disappointment in what was otherwise a flawless game for him.

But while it was a good enough experiment to see what their depth was like, Sorenson stuck with Bejarano for the last game of the first half. Everything else remained the same, even Mike Keller remained as a fourth-line right winger instead of Harrison Blackburn. The puck was dropped and the action got underway. Taeshan were the first to record a shot, with a wrister from Emmit LaRue with 19:31 left in the match getting caught easily by Bejarano. He tried to go for shot #2 not even five seconds later but that too was saved and eventually frozen. They would finally get the chance to score first with 15:29 left during a penalty after Ethan Swinburne was sent to the box for two minutes due to him hooking Benjamin Moriarty; less than thirty second into the penalty, Taeshanian captain Jackson Gagne would easily put the puck past Bejarano on the breakaway thanks to a well-timed shot that went through his five-hole. Not one to be down and out, Lucas Madgwick helped tie up the scores, with a snapper from the point that just sailed over Emmit Williamson's glove. It looked like he was able to save it and it even grazed against the puck but it still went in regardless. Nothing else happened afterwards, barring a two minute minor for Jeffrey Kordell when he accidentally cross-checked Bill Harrison, but it was a penalty that Taeshan could easily kill off.

In fact, they essentially dominated the second period to a small extent. They had the better defending and more shots on goal. They weren't as accurate, as Williamson had more saves than Bejarano did, but it was still enough to push the Icy Elephants towards their end of the ice. Elejamie were quick to adapt to this and would play a more defensive game in this period. Most of the time it worked, as the normally offensive Bill Harrison, James Han or even the Barajas brothers were spending more time in front of their goal than the opposition's. Other times, it didn't work out as well, though some well-times saves or blocks from Bejarano or the goalposts came in to save the day. The only time when it didn't exactly work period was with 6:44 left, when Jackson Gagne delivered a powerful slap shot that Bejarano couldn't see until it was too late and by the time it hit the ice the goal horn had already sounded. On the upside, neither team committed any penalties and, though there was a bit of pushing and shoving after one puck freeze, it didn't lead to anything and play carried on as normal. Regardless, things were starting to look bleak for Elejamie. The three time champion now reduced to a jobber.

The third period saw them perform a miracle drive. Bejarano took a leaf out of Lambert's book and was a bit more aggressive. He knocked the pucks out of the air with his glove, blocker or stick. He froze the puck if it looked like the opposition was so much as staring at him. In fact, sometimes he froze the puck just to kill time and deny them any chances of scoring off the rebound or intercepting a pass to a teammate. His defenders did the same. Whether it be a poke check, back check, forechecking or body checking, they wanted to deny Taeshan even a thought about scoring. They didn't want to go down like this. Not yet, anyway. It did lead to Diego Pinto and Rafinho getting minor penalties for charging and interference respectively but at that point Sorenson had thought ahead and they "parked the bus", to borrow a term from soccer, until the penalty was fully killed off.

On the offensive front, they were being more aggressive. Most of it was to try and make Taeshan feel how they felt during the last two periods but most of it was them trying to get back into the match. The first and second lines brough most of the shots in, at least two or three per player. The third and fourth lines did manage to get a couple of goes but nowhere near enough as the first two. Passing was short and direct, they didn't want to let the opposition have any chances. There were a couple of moments when a player just left the puck and a teammate came in to carry on the attack. It was a strategy that did, however, lead to a couple of goals. The first and the equaliser came with 14:11 left, when Lucas Madgwick tried to set up a shot, only to pass to James Han who managed to score through the confusion; Lupe was also credited with the assist. The second came with 3:23 left, with Cerin Meloten winning the face-off, passing it to Stacy Saunders (who missed) and then Bill Harrison getting it in off the rebound.

They held strong and eventually came away with the win. Their first of the competition. A bit too late for their liking but they had finally gotten one. Sure the two defeats against teams they could've easily beaten still stung but at least they were by single goals. Sure they didn't get a single goal until around 199 minutes into their campaign, which means giving plenty of training to his attackers, but they manged to score three today which was enough to give them a much-needed result. They now sat fourth in the competition, behind The Frozen Forest, the hosts and most notably group leaders Mercedini (where the Barajas brothers both play for the Zoloroni City Icers). They were two points behind TFF and had a goal difference of -1, but a win by at least two goals could be what they needed to finally turn the competition in their favour. The plan was originally to make it to the next round and then they'll be back for future contests. But if they don't suck this tournament and can make this second half competitive, even going as far as looking like they could make it out even if they don't, then they might also make another full-time return. Everything's just up in the air.

All Sorenson needs is a miracle going into this second half. A win against Mercedini might be out of the question but wins against The Frozen Forest, Lorenthia and Ranoria were much-needed. A second win against Taeshan would be nice but he wasn't banking on that. This day off has to count. He has to do what his predecessors did and get as much practice in as possible to make sure they can hit where it really hurts. They have to up their offence while still making sure the defence is working as tightly as it has done so far. But, most importantly, even though he's not normally the sort of person who'd do it, there's one thing that Sorenson feels like doing. Praying. Let's just hope that he gets an answer.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:50 pm

We're all waited with baited breath. Will Quebec finally win today?

Find out soon.

Group A
The Frozen Forrest 0–3 Elejamie
Taeshan 2–3 Mercedini
Ranoria 2–1 Lorenthia

Group A                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Mercedini 6 5 1 0 18 10 +8 11
2 Elejamie 6 2 2 2 7 5 +2 6
3 Taeshan 6 3 0 3 11 11 0 6
4 The Frozen Forrest 6 3 0 3 7 10 −3 6
5 Ranoria 6 1 2 3 8 11 −3 4
6 Lorenthia 6 1 1 4 8 12 −4 3

Group B
NPC West Florida 1–1 Poafmersia
Graintfjall 0–1 Neu Engollon
HUElavia 5–3 Bleronia

Group B                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Neu Engollon 6 4 2 0 14 7 +7 10
2 Poafmersia 6 3 2 1 14 11 +3 8
3 HUElavia 6 4 0 2 14 11 +3 8
4 Graintfjall 6 1 2 3 2 4 −2 4
5 NPC West Florida 6 0 4 2 8 14 −6 4
6 Bleronia 6 0 2 4 12 17 −5 2

Group C
Sylestone 1–2 Savojarna
TJUN-ia 3–1 Transvolcanic
Reçueçn 3–0 Tjorl

Group C                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Reçueçn 6 5 1 0 14 2 +12 11
2 Savojarna 6 4 2 0 22 12 +10 10
3 TJUN-ia 6 3 1 2 17 13 +4 7
4 Transvolcanic 6 3 0 3 16 20 −4 6
5 Sylestone 6 1 0 5 15 20 −5 2
6 Tjorl 6 0 0 6 9 26 −17 0

Group D
Siovanija and Teusland 7–3 United Hemand Insia
New Waldensia 3–2 Terre Septentrionale
Royal Kingdom of Quebec 2–0 Austrakia

Group D                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Siovanija and Teusland 6 4 2 0 22 8 +14 10
2 New Waldensia 6 4 1 1 16 14 +2 9
3 Royal Kingdom of Quebec 6 1 3 2 11 11 0 5
4 Austrakia 6 2 1 3 9 14 −5 5
5 Terre Septentrionale 6 2 1 3 12 12 0 5
6 United Hemand Insia 6 0 2 4 7 18 −11 2

Group E
Cassadaigua 6–2 Fluvannia
Northwest Kalactin 0–1 Banija
Rwekazaland 3–3 Megistos

Group E                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Cassadaigua 6 5 1 0 35 13 +22 11
2 Banija 6 5 0 1 14 6 +8 10
3 Fluvannia 6 2 2 2 13 16 −3 6
4 Megistos 6 1 3 2 9 16 −7 5
5 Rwekazaland 6 1 1 4 15 24 −9 3
6 Northwest Kalactin 6 0 1 5 3 14 −11 1

Group F
Silvedonia 1–3 Kohnhead
-Anthor- 2–5 Valanora
Tikariot 0–6 Gyatso-Kai

Group F                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Valanora 6 5 1 0 21 6 +15 11
2 Gyatso-Kai 6 3 2 1 19 9 +10 8
3 -Anthor- 6 3 0 3 11 19 −8 6
4 Kohnhead 6 2 2 2 12 12 0 6
5 Tikariot 6 1 2 3 11 19 −8 4
6 Silvedonia 6 0 1 5 5 14 −9 1

Group G
The Fortem 3–2 Kelssek
Flekkefjord 2–2 Equestria
Ontorisa 1–5 Abanhfleft

Group G                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Abanhfleft 6 5 0 1 23 11 +12 10
2 The Fortem 6 3 1 2 12 13 −1 7
3 Equestria 6 3 1 2 17 8 +9 7
4 Kelssek 6 3 0 3 12 15 −3 6
5 Ontorisa 6 2 1 3 13 20 −7 5
6 Flekkefjord 6 0 1 5 11 21 −10 1

Group H
Chromatika 0–1 Nova Anglicana
Vilita and Turori 0–1 Ko-oren
Gergary 1–0 United States of Devonta

Group H                      Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Ko-oren 6 5 0 1 5 1 +4 10
2 Vilita and Turori 6 3 1 2 6 5 +1 7
3 United States of Devonta 6 3 1 2 8 7 +1 7
4 Chromatika 6 2 0 4 2 4 −2 4
5 Gergary 6 2 0 4 4 6 −2 4
6 Nova Anglicana 6 2 0 4 8 10 −2 4

[/pre]

United Hemand Istria has been changed to Insia post Scorination. Same thing with New Waldnesia
Last edited by Taeshan on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Puck Watch: Revenge Is Dished Up In The Rink!

Postby TJUN-ia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:10 am

After the greatest draw in The Rink ended the first half of TJUN-ia's WCoH, a single question was burning in the mind off most TJUN-ian hockey fans: Can we make it to Taeshan from 3 points down? 3 points is not an impossible deficit to overcome but the Ice Jags, a team who were in a similar situation last time out and failed to make it, don't really know how they could do it, especially as the current Top 2in Group C have not yet lost a game. Still, you had to have some belief that you can make it and that was the mindset Ølson Rasmussen took on as TJUN-ia prepared to host Los Rebeldes - Transvolcanic, the team that shocked the Jaguars at the VIC on MD1.

With the pain of MD1 in many minds, the Ice Jags and their fans set out on revenge on The Rink in The Gardens of New Washington. The 1st period would see more tight hockey from this team and both sides would end up with a goal at period's end. Julian Visipils opened the scoring early on, his 8th now in 6 games, showcasing his talents as one of the hottest players in the competition thus far. La Azulrojiza would fight back before the end, however, as Ileana Cháves would tie the game with a superb strike.

Once the teams re-emerged for the 2nd period, the game changed. The Ice Jags came out as a force looking to halt the advance of Los Rebeldes, and the certainly did that for the rest of the game. Li Chei, David Stewart and the rest of the defensive core became moving walls, stealing the puck whenever they could even if they were penalised for it. The offence was hot too, with 2 goals for the rest of the game. TJUN-ia's 2nd came in the 2nd, a lovely shot by 3rd-liner John Gallagher to give the Jags a much-deserved lead they wouldn't relinquish. The 3rd saw TJUN-ia 3rd as Kisei Nawakami got himself onto the score sheet and that would be that. TJUN-ia wins the revenge game 3-1 and takes 3rd from Transvolcanic.

With both Recuecn and Savojarna winning, time is running out if TJUN-ia are to mount a comeback. Every game is now important to the cause including the next one, as TJUN-ia travels to winless Tjorl, who were eliminated from contention after tonight's results. Let's hope the Jags can win and that chaos happens above. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group C)
MD1: @Transvolcanic (UR) - VIC Hockey Arena, Volkansfort L 3-4 (T-4th)
MD2: vs Tjorl (UR) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington W 3-0 (4th)
MD3: @Recuecn (15) L 1-2 (4th)
MD4: @Sylestone (51) W 4-3 (4th)
MD5: vs Savojarna (6) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington D 3-3 (4th/5pts/2W-1D-2L/+2GD)
-----------------------OFF DAY-----------------------
MD6: vs Transvolcanic (UR) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington W 3-1 (3rd)
MD7: @Tjorl (UR)
MD8: vs Recuecn (15) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington
MD9: vs Sylestone (51) - The Rink in The Gardens, New Washington
MD10: @Savojarna (6)
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

After Thoughts in a Blip V2.3

Postby Gyatso-kai » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:11 am

.:: From the ASPN Blog After Thoughts in a Blip ::.
0245 hours, 18 November 2020.3

Tale of two teams, eh?

First, we have the Bisons, our Republics' very own national football team. The Bisons are a team which as seen so much defeat and so little victory. A team that since their emergence from The Silence, has found themselves 26-21-46 and had yet to emerge out of the group stage in any of the seven tournaments they have competed in since coming back into the multiverse. Through determination and luck, the Bisons found their way into the Round of Twenty-Four in their fourth AOCAF appearance. There, they were unprepared and outmatched by a well-oiled and finely-tuned team that had seen a recent AOCAF Championship and quite a few post-seasons in the World Cup Qualifyiers.

The Bisons, however, were far from oiled, and in our first adventure out of the group, we get blanked. A lone goal was what sent The Bisons home from Aissa, Banija... albeit a bit more proud than failed returns as of late.

Then, we have the Ice Bisons, who are the only Avatarian team to ever hoist a multiverse-level championship. That's right, we ACTUALLY won the Twenty-Third World Cup of Hockey! It is stitched into the collars of our sweaters for ice hockey, emblazoned for the players to see as they done the uniform. And now, we look to a team with a bit different of a record - 20-3-15 before tonight's rippper of a game - and one that is finally showing signs of success after a very-similar start Post-Silence.

Let's talk about tonight's game, though.

Tikariot, a team we had played on the first matchday of the World Cup, a team we had drawn 2-all infront of a sold-old Capital Centre crowd. A team that celebrated and was relieved to have a draw, after holding a 2-nil lead for the first two periods and witnessing what was thought to be a tournament-ending injury to Hiteki Kia. A high ankle strain, took him out of the tournament for the first leg, and before today's match, Kia was seen practicing on his own and skating with the team for the first time.... Doctors say he may be back in time for an eventual post-group series, but only time will tell.

Tonight, against Tikariot, we came to life! Shu posted his second shutout of the tournament, and first back-to-back. Hosaka Severi posted his third national career hattrick, and with Hed Torvik, Cheung Sepi, and Jastor Kal'oki - who has stepped in for the injured Kia - the Ice Bisons secured their fifth six-goal game since The Silence, their second of the this tournament, and their largest goal differential since World Cup XXV where, in Group F, the Ice Bisons put on an absolute clinic against Bandwagon, eventually winning the game with a score of 8-nil. Fun fact for all you trackers out there... that Bandwagon game also holds the distinction of being the highest scoring game in Ice Bison History...

Of course, just like the football team... in World Cup XXV, it was the Dragonflies of Ko-oren who sent our team home in the Round of Sixteen...

We really should work on building that rivalry up more... I've always loved that team, that nation...

Gyatso-kai
Ambassador

Postby Gyatso-kai » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am

.:: Leywes Chapel Practice Facility, Sundari, Southern Mandalorian Territories, Gyatso-kai ::.
0945 hours local time, 18 November 2020.3

Located just thirty minutes from the Sundari Times Forum, the Leywes Chapel practice facility had all but cleared out from the morning skate. The media had finally left, taking with them their microphones, recording devices, and all-but-infuriating questions with them. Hiteki Kia had always hated the media, and especially now with the injury on the mends, he was getting tired of the same question every day and after every game.

When do you think you'll be back on the ice?

"If I knew that, I would tell you," Kia said aloud to himself as he limped towards the ice. His ankle was still bothering him, the brace on it pushing against the boot of his skate. I still cannot believe I fell... he thought as he shrugged his shoulders walking. I guess I'm not playing tonight with this limp. It has been a classic maneouver for any defenceman – a quick turn behind the net after stealing the puck from a slower attacker – and yet, this time he misjudged. Sure, it had been more humid than usual in Republic City, so perhaps the ice wasn’t quite as good as usual. Sure, maybe he hadn’t judged the distance of his turn quite right. Sure, maybe he hadn’t predicted that forward from coming up on him as fast… But whatever the reason, when Kia put his weight on his left leg to turn around, that leg decided to slip out from under him. As soon as he hit the ice, Kia knew immediately he wouldn’t be standing up from that fall.

Maybe I am getting old, Kia thought as he stepped onto the ice. The rest of the team had already showered, and sure, Kia had gotten a few laps in with the team… but he wanted more time on the ice. This injury was the longest the 40-year-old man had spent away from the ice since The Silence, and even then while the sports leagues were on lockdown, he rented a rink back in Omashu for himself to stay fresh for the inevitable return. Now, he was being limited to ten minutes of ice time, four times a day. As he took the first few pushes, he looked over to the bench where Doctor Fong Wuchin sat: The Team Doctor and a nationally-renowned sports doctor, he was always watching Kia whenever he skated.

Makes me feel like a caged ita’roba just waiting for the slaughter…

Fong motioned to Kia, and the star defenceman made a sharp turn on his left leg and booked it to the boards. Definitely not playing tonight, Kia grimaced before coasting to the boards.

”Well?” Fong asked, a slight smile showing. ”How did that turn feel?”

“Oh definitely felt in in my shin,”
Kia leaned down to rub the middle of his shin. ”But it didn’t take any speed off.”

“Well that’s good. But you still need to be careful. Don’t want to reaggravate it.”

“I know Doc,”
Kia sighed. This wasn’t his first injury, and he always felt a certain way whenever he would speak to a doctor… They treated him like a child, as if it were his first ever injury and he needed to be coddled every step of the recovery. ”Just have to take my time.”

“And I’m sure those reporters aren’t making it any easier,”
Wong laughed, pointing to a lone reporter on the far side of the ice, camera in hand as if it were a rifle and they were hunting a prized game animal. Kia sighed and shook his head.

”Couldn’t even get in one lap before the come crawling back in.”

“Well, you might just have to skate during a time they are busy… or somewhere less auspicious as the team’s practice facility.”

“Oh?”
Kia side-eyed the doctor. ”And where would that be, seeing as how we are in essentially the hockey capital of Gyatso-kai.”

“Go change. I’ll call a friend of mine… he owns the one of the downtown skating rinks. I’ll talk to Ishii and get you excused from the meeting. Say I have to run a test or something.”

Wong waived off Kia with a smile, before turning to walk away. Kia pushed off from the board, and took a quick spin around the ice, hearing that camera shutter going off. He had to look his best, for he knew every image would be poured over by every armchair hockey expert at home in hopes of seeing some fault in his stride or lean in his turn to suggest the injury was more serious than Ishii was letting on. To his credit, and much appreciation from Kia, Hak’buir had been exceptionally quiet about Kia’s status… no doubt wanting to keep teams guessing at the lineups… and thanks to that, Kia had gotten a bit of a respite from the journalists. He answered every question with a “Time will tell,” or “The doctors say I’m looking good,” and not much else. He just wanted to skate, he just wanted to heal, and most importantly, he just wanted to play.

Perhaps that Valanora rematch could be a quick return…

Terre Septentrionale
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Septentrionale » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Another unexpected loss

New Waldensia - Another frustrating loss against a weaker team for Terre Septentrionale. New Waldensia took the lead early in the 1st period when Bob Sampson scored on a one time shot on a pass from Caspian Estes. 1-0 New Waldensia. It was the only goal of the 1st period and it was 1-0 New Waldensia after 20 minutes.

then we saw a couple of goals in the 2nd period. Terre Septentrionale tied the game early when Virginie Woodbury carried the puck on a 3 on 1 with the Zyskowska sisters. Woodbury passed to Emilia who passed to Melania. Melania shoots and she scores. The game is tied at 1-1. Terre Septentrionale took the lead 10 minutes later when Fryderyka Krzyszczyk's shot went behind the net, Jenny Hockey took the puck behind the net and put it past Stephan Portillo, who was replacing Jarvis Dunlap. The Nordiques took a 2-1 lead. New Waldensia tied the game two minutes later on a goal by John-Paul Snider. Patrick Stokes stole the puck from Wlodzimierz Wawrzynkiewicz and passed it to Stokes who scored. The game was tied again, at 2-2, and it was the end of the 2nd period.

Antoine Lusignan was penalised for hooking midway in the 3rd period and New Waldensia had a power play. One minute later, Caspian Estes passed to Otto Benitez who shot from the blue line, the puck is deflected by Ioan Searle, who was standing in front of the net, and it's a power play goal. New Waldensia took a 3-2 lead and this is the final score.

BOXSCORE

1ST PERIOD
16:25 - Bob Sampson assisted by Caspian Estes and Ioan Searle

2ND PERIOD
17:42 - Melania Zyskowska assisted by Emilia Zyskowska and Virginie Woodbury
7:17 - Jennifer "Jenny Hockey" Gaudreault assisted by Fryderyka Krzyszczyk and Kévin Beauregard

4:56 - John-Paul Snider assisted by Patrick Stokes

3RD PERIOD
9:24 - Ioan Searle assisted by Otto Benitez and Caspian Estes

4 points away from 2nd

Now, Terre Septentrionale is 4 points away from New Waldensia in 2nd place. Our next game is at home in Baie-Sainte-Catherine against United Hemand Insia. The liens will be the same as it was against New Waldensia: Kasandra Wojcinowicz is out with an upper body injury. Günther Schützenauer replaces her on the 1st line, Frédérique Lainé replaces Schützenauer on the 3rd line and Roksana Nowakowska-Mikolajczyk skates on the 4th line.

Germain Coutu,

Top 6 worst teams in the LHS (most likely to draft 1st overall)

1. Stoczniowiec Trzeszczyn:

Offense: 15th
Defense: 15th
Overall: 16th

Stoczniowiec have been mediocre recently and they're unable to turn things around. They have two of the best promising centers: Świętosław Pomerleau-Kozikowski (2nd overall pick in 2027) and Agnieszka Straszyńska-Kowalik (3rd overall pick in 2026), however they have bad goaltending.

2. Trzebiegoszcz Bears:

Offense: 16th
Defense: 13th
Overall: 15th

The Bears, once one of the top team in the league, have aged really badly. Their offense really sucks, Their defense is bad too, but Julie-Anne Labelle-Binette (1st overall pick in 2027) is very promising. Their goalies are really bad either, but they have Nikola Sakic (7th overall pick in 2026) playing for their affiliate team in the North Coast League.

3. Catherinois de Longueuil:

Offense: 9th
Defense: 16th
Overall: 14th

Offensively le CH is ok. Kristina Jarvis-Lanouette is a good veteran, Roksana Nowakowska-Mikolajczyk (1st overall pick in 2024) will be a top player in the future. Defensively and between the pipes, they just sucks. However, goalie Kyra Wenczkowski (2nd overall pick in 2025) has a bright future.

4. North Stars Rzodkiewnica:

Offense: 8th
Defense: 14th
Overall: 13th

The North Stars are similar to Longueuil. Offensively, they aren't bad with Mason Kellenberger (4th overall pick in 2020) and they even looks promising with Marie-Sarah Laplante-Deschamps (4th overall pick in 2026) and Wiesława Mieczkowska (5th overall pick in 2027). Their defense is actually bad, but it looks promising too with Stephanie McGrath-Wright (6th overall pick in 2024) and Evan Jaeger (5th overall pick in 2025).

5. Nordiques d'Oujé-Bougoumou:

Offense: 7th
Defense: 11th
Overall: 12th

The Nords never been a top team and they recently wasted two 1st round draft pick (in 2024 and 2025) to acquire an aging veteran who was unable to help this team win. Their winning window opportunity has closed and they're now one of the worst team in the league. Ofensively they're still good with veterans Pierre-Marc Carbonneau and Frédérique Brassard. Their best player for the future is Žiga Kovačevič (3rd overall pick in 2027). Pier-Olivier Laframboise (8th overall pick in 2026) will have a good future too.

6. Loups de Jacques-Cartier :

Offense: 6th
Defense: 12th
Overall: 11th

This team is aging. Their best players are actually Pierre Sanschagrin, 34 years old, and Antoine Lusignan, 33 years old. In the future, Sarah-Lou Têtu (7th overall pick in 2027) is their most promising player.

Karine Gingras,
Champions:

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013

Postby Nova Anglicana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Ramsey government unveils substantial tax overhaul

John McAvoy, Political Columnist, Londinium Courier

It's here, it's here, it's finally here! After a misstep about changing the national anthem (which is still raging in some papers) distracted from the Ramsey government's planned tax cuts, and after King Voss' changes at Interior captured the national attention (and still deserve to be investigated and reported on), the Ramsey government has finally found the time to present their signature legislative campaign proposal: a massive overhaul of the Nova Anglican tax system. At a press conference yesterday, the Prime Minister and the leaders of his two coalition allies, Libertarian Party leader William Dawson and National Party leader King Voss, laid out their plans for changes to the nation's tax code, promising "a substantially lower tax burden" and "a rocket-fueled economic boom". The People's Party and their allies have been promising tax cuts for years and it's never gotten them into government, so what are they going to do now that they are fully in control of both houses of Parliament?

The biggest changes come in the areas of personal income taxes. Personal income taxes are where the government derives the majority of their revenue, and thus the natural target for reform. One of the persistent criticisms of the Nova Anglican tax system is that it has far too many tax brackets (8 of them up to AP 200,000, 9 if you count the 0% rate for exempt income), and this has definitely been changed. From 8 tax brackets, we will now have a mere three. The top tax rate, the headline number, will fall from 45% to 30%, and rates of 10% and 20% will be introduced below it. The income levels for each bracket are changing as well: income from AP 10,000-50,000 will be taxed at 10%, instead of 3 different rates before, while AP 50,000-200,000 will be taxed at 20%, a change from 4 different rates, and income above AP 200,000 will be taxed at a 30% rate instead of the 45% rate it was taxed at before. First of all, this income tax cut ensures that almost everyone will see a reduction in taxes, but the higher you go up the income scale, obviously the bigger tax cut, in both relative and absolute terms, one receives. This is only to be expected from parties with a right-leaning orientation, but the plan has drawn muted praise from centrist think tanks for its simplification of the tax code by reducing brackets.

When it comes to credits and deduction, the government's tax bill makes some changes there as well. In order to pay for the high-speed rail expansion in his last budget, Hal Blackwood's government cut the child tax credit from AP 1,000 per eligible child up to 3 down to AP 500 per eligible child. This tax bill restores the tax credit to AP 1,000, in a move that should draw praise from parents around the country. As far as the exempt income, the Ramsey government's tax bill reduces the tax-exempt amount from the first AP 12,500 to AP 10,000, which amounts to a tax increase of about AP 250 for each taxpayer. However, the Ramsey government has packaged this with an increase in the standard deduction for married couples from AP 6,000 to AP 9,000. This means that the effective tax-exempt level for couples moves from AP 18,500 to AP 19,000, while the deduction for individuals remains unchanged (effective tax-exempt level will now be AP 13,000 instead of AP 15,500). The larger deduction reform lies in the charitable giving deduction. Previously, the charitable giving deduction allowed taxpayers to deduct less from their income as it grew, but now we will see full deduction allowed for taxpayers whose income is below AP 1,000,000, with a reduction to 50% deduction allowed for taxpayers whose income exceeds the threshold. This is an across-the-board increase in the deduction which should please
both high-income individuals, who will receive a substantial tax break, and the charities who are the beneficiaries of their largesse.

In other areas of taxation, we see repeal and flattening of previously progressive taxes. First of all, the carbon tax, much-despised among the government's corporate allies, is to be axed in this bill. This should be about the extent of the government's legislative agenda on climate and the environment, as much of the loosening of regulations they propose can be achieved via the action of the ministries and sub-ministries of the government they now control. Although it's certain to get the government in trouble with environmentalists and place them at odds with the international community, those are two constituencies the government doesn't rely on for much and can thus safely ignore. Only if there is public uproar would the government reconsider, one would think, and even then, it would be tough for them to abandon a key campaign promise.

On the corporate income tax front, Nova Anglicana currently has a progressive tax, topping out at 25% of eligible income above AP 1,000,000, but with quite favorable rates below that threshold. Wanting to simplify the tax structure and cut taxes for larger businesses while still preserving low taxes for smaller businesses, the government has attempted to split the difference. They will exempt eligible income below AP 750,000 from taxation, and slap a reduced 15% rate on all income above it. This completely eliminates corporate taxation for a number of small businesses and substantially reduces it for the largest corporations. Finally, we come to the estate tax. Previously, like the corporate income tax, it was progressive and marginal, with the top tax rate at 20% of the value of an individual's assets upon death that exceeded AP 1,500,000, with lower rates on value below that. It will now be flat, with assets below AP 1,000,000 exempt, and assets above taxed at a 10% rate. This again is a small reduction for some smaller estates and a rather large reduction for larger estates.

At the press conference, Ramsey touted the benefits, saying, "This is a comprehensive and long-overdue reform of the bloated and inefficient tax code. We expect substantial economic growth, a reduction in tax evasion due to lower rates, and repatriation and new investment from corporations to largely make up for any lost revenue due to rate reductions. With reasonable reductions in spending in areas swollen beyond their responsibilities, we expect to deliver a leaner and more efficient central government, with funds available to invest in our police and military and a budget surplus to boot." He especially focused on the benefits of the bill for families, saying, "We've restored the child tax credit and expanded the married deduction. For a family of average means with three children, we expect this to save them an additional AP 2,500 or more over and above the changes to their income tax rate." On the business front, he said that he anticipated "a rush to invest in Nova Anglicana. We've reduced operating costs through repealing the carbon tax and offered a simple flat tax on income. This will generate thousands of new jobs, which will result in increased prosperity for the average Nova Anglican citizen." Big promises, to be sure, but we are in uncharted waters, so who knows which benefits will materialize and which won't?

Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Hal Blackwood excoriated the bill as "highway robbery, plain and simple." He contrasted his and former Prime Minister Allen Mumford's approach with Ramsey's, saying, "We ran the government as the people's trust. We invested our common wealth wisely, to promote good learning outcomes, reduce infant and maternal mortality, and protect and preserve the marvelous environment we have been given by God the Father. This government's tax plan would allow businesses and the wealthy to hoard wealth and deprive every Nova Anglican of the social safety net and excellent public services that they deserve." He assailed the government's business tax strategy, charging that "the only thing that businesses are going to do with their extra cash is give their CEOs higher bonuses and engage in stock buybacks to disingenuously inflate their stock prices, and the only businesses that will 'rush to invest' here are those trying to evade higher taxes elsewhere. They'll claim us as their corporate headquarters, but when you look into it, one floor in one building of an office park will be the extent of their investment." Those are fighting words from Blackwood, who was considered to be a moderate and someone businesses could work with while in government, but you don't stop your parliamentary foes from overturning your party's legacy with soft words and round-table chats. Blackwood needs to rouse public opinion and make PP moderates feel like they have no choice but to oppose this bill if he expects to maintain both his party's leadership and the architecture it's built over its decade-plus in power.

But perhaps more interesting than what has been changed is what hasn't been changed. Despite reports that the Ramsey government was looking to eliminate the capital gains tax, that's been left in place at its current rate of 15%. The Working Tax Credit, which some had speculated the Ramsey government would eliminate in an attempt to make the tax bill more deficit-friendly, has been left in place. And there is no mention in this bill of changing the social security tax, although the government had talked about balancing the rates employers and employees pay or even capping the income below which that tax is collected. Neither is the current 10% VAT rate budging. It seems like the government are expecting increased spending as a result of these changes, and think that the VAT is going to do some heavy lifting with regards to the budget.

The lack of change in these areas indicate that there may be some dissension within the ranks of the government. Although the capital gains tax is something the right would generally like to get rid of, perhaps they were sensitive to appearing too in lockstep with the priorities of the wealthy. After all, the vast majority of Nova Anglicans don't need to pay capital gains tax each year. This may have prompted the keeping of the Working Tax Credit and the lower employee-side social security tax. Cutting taxes for rich people, which this bill indisputably does, combined with some tax rises, especially on lower-income individuals, would have been quite bad politics. This way, you can keep your moderates in line and perhaps even pick off a market liberal Liberal Secularist like Katie Logan or a moderate PJP member like Martin Harmon. It's a big change, to say the least, but big change always spooks some segment of voters or of Parliament; better to emphasize the benefits and what you're not changing.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Vilita and Turori had their head-to-head advantage nullified by an Ainoph Eriren redirect. Nedergard's shot from distance, skilfully given space and time to aim by Haarstad and Aiamalod flew through the air and only touched Eriren's stick before it hit the net. The goal in the second period was the only of its kind on the day, which gives Ko-oren first place in the group with a full game as a cushion. The short moment of true synergy that saw the Aevanna Scouts centre score was just that - the Greenblues couldn't find the energy behind that moment in the remaining fifty-nine minutes and forty-seven seconds. Luckily, the cove dwellers didn't either. And with the fifth straight 1-0 win, it's still hard to tell whether the Greenblues are just that good (because they keep winning) or just that bad (because these streaks generally don't last).

If we look at what the other group leaders are doing, the Greenblues look even worse. Neu Engollon and Reçueçn, leading B and C, have a hard time scoring at 14 goals in six games. That's nothing compared to what the other number ones are laying down, with Cassadaigua scoring an insane 35 goals so far - that's almost six per game. Even contrasted with that 14 goal stat, Ko-oren find it downright impossible to find the net having scored five goals. Five. We're among the worst scoring teams in our own group, let alone the entire World Cup of Hockey field. In fact, only four teams out of 48 are scoring fewer goals than us:

44. Ko-oren 5 (1st in Group H)
45. Gergary 4 (5th in Group H)
46. Northwest Kalactin 3 (6th in Group E)
47. Graintfjall 2 (4th in Group B)
47* Chromatika 2 (4th in Group H)

It's almost a miracle that only one of these teams are last in their group. It's also quite odd that three of these are from the same group, but it's probably expected if the most dominant team of that group refuses to run up the score against the lesser teams there. What exactly is causing it and whether it should be adressed as long as the team is winning is up for debate. It's clear that the players themselves aren't completely at ease either. Eriren has scored two, and Nedergard, Buck, Aone, and Ailinia are responsible for one goal each. It's goalless Aiamalod who spoke up about the drought for him and many of his teammates, saying that "we're enjoying the wins but every single time I feel like there's more to be had. It's not a lack of trying. It's not a lack of effort, or preparation, or talent". Asked whether he knew what the problem was rather than wasn't, he added (with a bit of frustration) "Goals are just hard to come by in this sport. It's not a soccer goal for God's sake. We're bringing pressure, we're hitting shots, we're getting stuff on goal. We just need to keep doing what we're doing. The goals will come."

On the other hand, Aiane Alacia is all smiles. "And that's... five clean sheets!" he says, holding out four fingers and a thumb to the press. Who can blame him? He's facing fewer attempts than almost any other goalie in the Classic and has worked will with all three lines. Only Reçueçn posts numbers that are even close to the Greenblues. Aforementioned Cassadaigua have allowed 13 goals so far, for comparison.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:17 pm

HUElavia Sweep Bleronia to Keep Pace in Group B!

HUElavia 5–3 Bleronia
(HUElines Arena, Sao Salvador)

HUElavia came into Matchday 6 now facing the reverse matches of the 1st Leg for Group B. This time, they were playing against Bleronia, whom they defeated in Matchday 1, by the score of 1-2. The match was played at HUElines Arena (18,500) in Sao Salvador, which was sold out and filled with thousands of HUElavians seeing the National Hockey Team play in front of them for the first time. HUElavia opted to play with Caetano in goal for the match, giving him more experience in goal. Both teams wore their Home Uniform for the match. The puck was dropped and the match was underway.

The 1st Period saw two goals by HUElavia go in, the first at halfway, when Kariya passed back to Leite, who in turn passed it to Carvalho, who went around the net and slid it past Stuka to make it 1-0, with the crowd jumping and cheering to make the arena rumble while Kernkraft 400 blasted in the arena. The second goal came late in the period as Ovechkin gave a pass to Chevchenko, who blasted it past Stuka to make it 2-0 with the crowd celebrating once more. In the 2nd Period, Ilchenko lost the puck to Ebaranti, who sped towards Caetano to pass Avesheli, blasting it past Caetano into the goal to make it 2-1. HUElavia was furious with the goal and got back to work, as 3 minutes later, Rossi would go around the net to pass it to Rossi, who passed it to Bourgeois, where he blasted it into the goal with ease, making it 3-1. Late in the period, once again, a counter attack would come, and Petit gave a shot that was blocked by Stuka, only for Kariya to push the rebound into the goal to make it 4-1. In the 3rd Period, a counter attack by Bleronia would be done, with Meroti taking a shot that was saved by Caetano, but Bosturi came on the rebound and popped it to the bar and into the goal to make it 4-2. Bleronia would attack and attack, getting the goal late in the match with 30 seconds left and without a goalie, when Kostamolli popped it off the post and into the goal to make it 4-3. Despite the one last attack to end the match, Garcon-Chevalier got the puck and hit it off the board to rebound into the empty goal, making it 5-3 as time expired. The crowd jumped and celebrated with the goal, but it was at first called off. Then after video replay, there was 0.1 seconds left, meaning the referee pointed to center ice and with one last movement, the game ended, with the crowd jumping and celebrating while the team shook hands with Bleronia's players and congratulated each other for the victory.

With the victory, HUElavia still sit in 3rd Place with 8 Points (4-0-2), after NPC West Florida and Poafmersia drew at 1-1, which has Poafmersia in 2nd Place with 8 Points (3-2-1), but over Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos on the Head-to-Head result. Neu Engolion won their match at Graintfjall by 0-1, which keeps them in 1st Place with 10 points (4-2-0). The next match for the team will be against NPC West Florida. The match is set to be played at HUETech Center (17,500), in San Franco. Mancebo will be the starting goalie for the match. The team hopes to win and that Poafmersia drops points in order to reclaim 2nd Place in Group B. All these matches are looking more and more like a Final for HUElavia, and they're determined to train and study hard to play well and keep pace in the group. Here's to hoping for a good result.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports