NATION

PASSWORD

Gold Coast Basketball Tournament (IC/RP Thread)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:30 am

After the group stage of the inaugural Gulf Coast Basketball Tournament concluded, basketball fans were eager to see a potential finals battle between the two best teams of the group stage, Sarzonia and Banija.

It wasn't just this tournament in isolation that would provide the intrigue. After all, the Stars faced Banija across multiple competitions including baseball, football and lacrosse, and are in the early stages of potentially developing a similar sort of rivalry with that country that Sarzonia has long had with Delaclava.

Sure, both teams took care of their respective assignments with Group 1 champions Sarzonia demolishing Group 2 runners up Hispania y Filipinas and Group 2 champions Banija slipping past Group 1 runners up Inner Agianiausordia 97-93. But there's one problem with the notion of a Sarzonia-Banija final in this tournament using so-called NBA rules. The teams will be playing each other in the semifinals.

Instead of choosing to employ seeding procedures that could have still set up a final for the ages in this new tournament, Northwest Kalactin chose a tournament bracket that arguably sets up the best match of the entire tournament as a semifinal.

"It's not ideal," said guard Mike West, who was held to just nine points after slightly turning his ankle in the second quarter. Team doctors cleared him at halftime, but coach Thomas Manningham opted not to play him after the injury.

"If it were a close game, we would have used Mike again," Manningham said. "But we were already up by 30 at halftime so there was no need to test him and risk further injury." West will be in the starting lineup against Banija.

Forward Trent Klatt stepped up into the void created by the absence of West, pumping in a personal career high 45 points on 18-for-31 shooting from the floor and grabbing 12 rebounds. Reserve guard Jayne Cruz added 30 points as she played many of the minutes that might otherwise have gone to West.

Being a coach, Manningham harped on one thing about his team's dominant performance against Hispania y Filipinas. The defence.

"We allowed 93 points against them. That's more than we allowed anyone in the group stage," he said. "That's just not going to cut it against a team of the calibre of Banija."

West gave his coach a look. After all, Sarzonia won by such a wide margin that even Lisander's easy 113-88 victory over HUElavia paled in comparison to the 54-point beatdown the Stars just laid on Hispania y Filipinas. But Manningham was serious about his complaint about the team's defence.

"I'm a coach. I need something to harp on!" he said.
Last edited by Sarzonia on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Semifinals cutoff, good luck.
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Semifinals
Lisander 106–114 Kohnhead
Sarzonia 99–73 Banija

Finals
Sarzonia v. Kohnhead

3PPO
Banija v. Lisander
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 am

The matchup that seemingly everyone who was paying attention to the Gold Coast Basketball Tournament was hoping for in the final was tipping off, but it was the semifinal.

The two best teams in the competition: Sarzonia and Banija, the only teams that hadn't lost a single match leading up to their battle were facing each other for the right to play in the final. It potentially set up the final as anticlimactic no matter which team prevailed.

Sarzonia would end up being the winner, dropping Banija 99-73 in a match that the Stars dominated from the opening tip behind a 27-point effort from Mike West on 10-for-17 shooting from the field. Centre Terry Rutledge dominated inside to the tune of 20 points and 15 rebounds, adding five blocks and four forced turnovers.

"We just have to play whoever's in front of us," said Sarzonia coach Thomas Manningham. "I'm pleased with the way we executed our defensive sets and kept [Banija] out of rhythm."

Sarzonia made its statement after Rutledge won the opening tap by going on a 12-2 run to start the match. Banija went on a brief 6-0 run to close the gap, but then the Stars answered with a 10-0 run of their own and never let the match get any closer than 11 points the rest of the way.

The Stars will face Kohnhead in the final after they dropped Lisander 114-106 in the other semifinal. They are coming into the final with a 5-1 record, having only lost their opening match by one point to a Megistos side that is the only team with a winning record that failed to qualify for the knockout round.

"They've rounded into good form since their opener," Manningham said. "We expect them to be a huge challenge for us."
Last edited by Sarzonia on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Cutoff, ladies and gents!
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Third Place Match
Lisander 120–122 Banija

Congrats to Third Place

Kohnhead 76–92 Sarzonia

Congrats to the winner, commiserations to the loser, thanks for joining us in Gold Coast!
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:00 am

The tournament that the Sarzonian national basketball team entered as a warm up to prepare for the International Basketball Championships ended up with a scene Thomas Manningham and the rest of his team hope to repeat in a few weeks time.

Sarzonia finished the Gold Coast Basketball Tournament in style, defeating Kohnhead 92-76 to cap off a 6-0 tournament that saw the Stars win with offence, dominate on defence, and in general, take to the so-called NBA rules of this tournament like a duck to water.

Guard Mike West was named the game's most outstanding player with a 26-point, 12-assist, 10-rebound effort, and also earned five steals and two blocked shots. When he grabbed his 10th rebound with 3:48 remaining and Sarzonia up 77-58, the statistic showing that he'd notched a triple-double flashed on the video board and the Sarzonian fans in attendance let out an appreciative roar. When Manningham looked up and saw the graphic showing that West had earned a triple-double, his first of his career, he decided to give West the rest of the night off and a chance to walk off the court to the applause of appreciative Stars hoops fans.

The Stars trailed briefly in the first quarter at 12-11, but then went on a 14-2 run that put the match out of reach once and for all.

Manningham said he was "thrilled" with the chance to hoist a championship trophy aloft, even if it isn't the sport's ultimate prize.

"That's a testament to how hard this team worked," he said. "I couldn't be more proud."

As for the friendly competition with his other brother Tyrone, the manager of the Sarzonian over-35 national team?

"Now he can get off my ass!"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports