NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 86: Roleplay Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sulsuland
Secretary

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Capitalizt

Postby Sulsuland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 pm

*Its a stormy night in Sulsuland. The Sulsu team playing for the world cup just finished playing a home game, which one you ask? Dunno. I, the narrator, have not been paying attention. As the team wraps up their game, a couple of black vans with their windows tinted are carried up to Dave’s mom’s house, and four Sulsu in suits and sunglasses set down the vehicles, silently peering for the Sulsu’s on the team to enter.*

*The Sulsu team enters both vans, which proceeds to be carried off from Dave’s mom’s house. Notably, Dave was left behind.*

*The vans drive for a couple hours, disappearing into some trees before ending up in the mythical Sulsu city, towering skyscrapers of differing materials dot the landscape, and groups of Sulsu can be seen carrying their cars down the dirt highways. Several merchant and food stalls dot the city, all selling fish and fish related accessories.*

*The vans are carried off to some shady looking warehouse, where the Sulsu team enters, the only entrance is blocked off by the four Sulsu which were carrying the vans*

*Inside the Sulsu in charge of the team speaks up*

“AlriGhT yOu WalNuTs, SulSu TireD oF LoSiNg aLl ThesE gAmeS, foR SomE reasOn ThEY keEp saYinG SulSu BreaKinG thE rUleS of thE SpoRt, So SulSu determiNeD tO maKE a PlaN tO StOp thaT OnCe and foR aLl!” *The leading Sulsu

*The lead Sulsu begins barking orders* “SulSu! yoU bE lIne baCker, SulSU, YoU quaRtEr baCkER, EvEryOne eLse, MaiNtaIn yoUr roLes, leTs PraCtiCe SoME FoOtBaLl!”

*Unfortunately for the Sulsu team, it looks like being around so many international countries that refer to Soccer as Football has confused them, as their biggest signifigant neighbor on Sonnel refers to American Football simply as Football, which was conveniently invented on Sonnel with the lack of an America*

*As the team plays, everyone’s formation and tactics play out flawlessly, if they were practicing for the correct sport, they would probably be unbeatable*

*As he goes to pick up the ball, one of the Sulsu accidentally kicks it, which causes the ball to go rolling forward, and the Sulsu to continually kick and chase it*

*It turns out this is how the Sulsu have been managing to win games, one of them will be too clumsy and keep kicking the ball straight into the goal when they meant to pick it up*

“No nO! YoU doIng iT WronG! SulSu and TeaM nEvEr geT inTo Cup oF haRp HoneY iF keEp plaYinG LikE thIs!” *The leading Sulsu yelled*

“HeY SulSu? SulSU founD thiS baLl, aNd waS wonDerInG whaT To dO WiTh iT.” *One of the Sulsu team members asked while holding up a soccer ball*

“ThaT baLl UselEss! SuLsu and TeaM HerE to plaY FooTbaLl! NoT pEntaGon baLl!” *The leading Sulsu scoffed as he threw the ball away*

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:03 pm

"Oh, poor Franky."

Samantha looked up in concern. "What is it, Gerauld?"

"It sounds like he's gotten into some trouble—I have no idea what it's about though. He just texted me that he wants to meet up to talk." Knowing that Samantha would not be pleased if she thought he was trying to put off Rebecca's birthday dinner, he hastened to clarify: "I'll tell him it'll have to be tomorrow."

"Who's Franky?" asked Rebecca.

"You know when we watch daddy's games on TV, honey? He's Adams. Number ten."

"The one who scores all the goals?"

"Yes," laughed Samantha.

"Why do they call him Adam if his name is Franky?"

"His last name is Adams, sweetie. Like how your last name is Firaut, and that's on daddy's shirt."

"Ohhhh." Rebecca's eyes widened with the revelation. Then they squeezed shut in a smile. "He's nice."

"Did you meet him?" asked Samantha.

"I think she did, but she probably doesn't remember it."

"He's nice," said Rebecca.

"Gerauld, do you want to just invite him to dinner with us? That could be fun."

"Ah-are you sure? I was thinking it would just be us."

"I mean, I think it would be fun, if you like."

"Okay, I'll send him a text."
When they met in the restaurant, Franky seemed much more subdued than his usual exuberant self. Once they had ordered, he opened up right away. "Thanks so much for letting me crash your evening, Gerauld. I just really needed someone to talk to... I've been feeling under a lot of pressure lately."

"Really? But you've been doing so well."

Franky sighed and drummed his fingers on the side of his glass of water. "I was worried you'd say that. That's what everyone says when I start to hint that anything's wrong. But I'm not talking about how I'm doing during the game. I'm talking about everything else." He looked into Gerauld's eyes with a pleading look. Samantha looked between the two of them in surprise and concern.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Nothing's wrong," said Franky. "At least, nothing that I can put my finger on. I mean, even like Gerauld said, I've been doing better and better on the field. But I think that's what's stressing me out. We've been playing a bit more of an attacking game lately, and I've been taking a bigger role, scoring more goals, getting more plays. People have noticed, and they're talking about me more, critiquing and criticizing. Playing for Genève doesn't get nearly as much attention as l'ÉNRF does. I've always wanted to be a star, and now that I'm finally becoming one, I don't know how to handle it. So I thought I would turn to the only star that we've always had... you." He met Gerauld's eyes again, and was once again impressed by his maturity. Gerauld was neither cocky nor awkward. "I don't know anyone who handles the pressure better than you do," said Franky.

"I had no idea, Franky! I'm so glad you mentioned this to me... how can I help? Do you just need someone to listen, or are you asking for advice? If it's those critics that are bothering you, I've found there's really not much you can do about it but let it roll off..."

"No, I think my skin is thick enough to deal with people's comments. It's the internal pressure I don't know how to handle. There's just been so much stress."

"I'm happy to talk with you about it," said Gerauld, "But I'd also definitely recommend talking with our new Paraclete, Ag. This sounds like something he might be good at."

"It's so strange," said Franky. "I don't know if another person could help. It feels like everything is on my shoulders, and I can't mess anything up."

"You came to me, though, didn't you?" pointed out Gerauld. "I'm happy to talk whenever you need, but the more you can share with other people, the easier it will be. We're a team. It doesn't all have to be on you."

Their food arrived not long after, as Gerauld had begun to share some of his nuggets of wisdom with Franky, earned after years of being in the national team's spotlight. With the food came a small cake they'd ordered for Rebecca.

"She's turning five today," said Samantha. "She'll have a party with her own friends on Saturday, but we wanted to have a little family dinner to celebrate as well—"

"Of course I know it's her birthday!" said Franky. "How could I forget that Osarius game... but thank you for letting me come to your family dinner. Sorry for being so gloomy—" said Franky.

"No!" said Samantha and Gerauld at the same time.

"We were so glad to have you," said Samantha.

"I did bring something for Rebecca," said Franky.

Rebecca had been following the whole conversation. Her eyes lit up. Franky, like a magician performing a trick, pulled a present out from under the table. It was thin and flat, covered in wrapping paper, and a little floppy.

"I'm glad it's not a soccer ball," laughed Samantha, "that's what she got last year."

"Did she like it?" asked Franky as Rebecca tore open the present.

"She did, actually..." said Samantha, but she was interrupted by Rebecca's squeal of delight as she succeeded in ripping open Franky's gift to find his jersey tumbling into her lap. "I love it!" she cheered, running around the table to give Franky a hug.

"I'm sorry I couldn't find one small enough," said Franky.

"It's going to be a big shirt to fill for her," said Samantha.

"She'll grow into it," said Gerauld.
rəswɛsən

Independent Athletes from Quebec
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2020
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Independent Athletes from Quebec » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:27 pm

OOC : Thanks to Sicoutimont (better known as Siovanija and Teusland these days) for RP permissions. For those who wonder where Part 3 is, it will be posted for another competition- most likely Gold Coast Basketball Invitational or AVBF Rugby 7s tournament. Please check TWGS thread for more updates as I'll post Parts 3 and 4 simultaneously there.

Running Up That Hill

PART 4 (32) - Crier Tout Bas

‘You know, the beauty of a commemoration train ride, however discomforting it can get, is the ability to interact and celebrate any coming occasion, and mourn together the collective less.’ said Asher, as him and another chap were engaging on a conversation about how excited they were to take part in the cross-country train ride. Whether him and his fellow guests, all coming of relatively homogenous socioeconomic origins, were really excited….that’s another story. ‘Of course, the pre-established context would be the fanfares received upon departing good ole Cassadaigua, and the ten hour train ride that remind dear passengers of-’

‘Certainly. I’m sure you’re clearly aware about the pretexts here.’ Replied Jean-Francois Lapilote, a high-ranked Sicoutian Communist Party official coming from Beaudette. Among the two of them, he likely held more seriousness in the tones of speech. Wearing a suit with various medals nicely placed along his left breast, it was clear to everyone that the man at least held some social status. ‘Everybody knows, or at least hopefully does know now, that we celebrate those as the victory of our communist resistance, with aid from our allies in Quebec and the Commonwealth.’

‘My, my, slightest acknowledgement would be enough in this case.’ Asher responded, still holding a glass of cherry wine with a smile. Only wearing a turquoise sweater and jeans, Asher was rather finding all this too comforting for his likes. ‘The Royal Quebecois Navy had responded when the ancien regime asked, and we cooperted. It’s something that my late ancestor proudly fought for, and that I’m proud of.’

‘My comrade, the affiliation seldom runs when the world has asked for all those concerned to beat the Nazis!’ responded Jean-Francois, grinning along the lines. ‘Obviously we aren’t anywhere near the battlefields, but that clear sense...will be better pronounced when we arrive in Saint-Simeon tomorrow. I’m sure you already know of the Resistance headquarters established there?’

‘Certainly, given that this was where the Second Fleet of the Royal Quebecois Navy had landed with 100000 soldiers.’ Asher nodded, emphasising the ‘landed’ part. By now he was getting annoyed at how the chap he’s talking to seemed to underestimate him on historical knowledge. ‘Of course, that’s where the story to take back Sicoutimont had started, especially after the Sicoutians themselves had broken off three months of assault on the city itself.’

‘Indeed.’ Jean-Francois nodded along, feeling as if he had checked a couple of boxes off his list. That seemed to have brought along a great sense of satisfaction on the guy who was already happy to have taken some time off usual party duties back home. ‘The level of resilience from our ancestors of old....it is hard to say we could replicate it. Instead what we can do instead is to work out internal problems and improve the countries we live in, like the good ole Seonmins we could be.’

‘Seonmin- that’s a valid point.’ Asher laughed, as they continued along with the conversation along the lines of communist revolutions and reconquistas. It didn’t turn out to be such a boring, predictable conversation as Asher had originally hoped. Instead, the debate ended up being questioned around the competing viability of Tiog and Sicoutian Revolutions (declared simultaneously as ‘to be determined’), and ended with a couple more rounds of wine.

‘Anyways, just be careful with a couple of things when you get to the borders.’ said Jean-Francois, as he did his best to remind every guest he talked to. ‘I know you, my friend, aren’t going to be a huge fan of this, but expect some key displays of what people here call as...our Great Leader Alphonse Pomeroy when travelling. You won’t find it so much in the first two cities of your trip, Beaudette and Edmundston, because they are still of fairly close distance from Cassadaigua and we don’t want to alienate our neighbour there. Still, once you get to all those battlefields...it’ll become more pronounced. You’ll be able to notice those right away.’

‘So you want me to be careful.’

‘Ohl...ways….yehs.’ he responded with particular pronunciation to his English. ‘It’s...not ideal, I know, but at least knowing about it helps. Many, including I assume your partenaire, Mille. De Ramaut, probably remembers hearing about old Sicoutimont when things were still quite prosperous and peaceful. Don’t expect that. You are a journalist so I don’t think that’s an issue anyway...but the things are just different now. Remember that.’

The train had arrived at five p.m. in the evening, as the train made an overnight stop there. Soon the passengers hopped off and walked five minutes, before they checked themselves into Hotel Central d'Edmundston, their designated hotel for the night.

Fortunately all had gone well since. The celebratory dinner at the Hotel Central d'Edmundston had taken many hours, as the function seemed to go on and on. Usually, the crowd that would frequent the hotel would be the members of the Party elite and their children, as well as occasional college students whose status gave them a semi-free pass into functions. The Sicoutians- fairly cautious of the foreigners but gladly willing to talk to one another about their country and the revolution- stayed courteous for most part.

Of course, the reminder about this generation of Sicoutians being different from the veterans’ descendants, members of the diaspora or many sports fans of old rang dearly to many, but the normalness of the lives there at least brought the sense of comfort and rationalisation to many. Perhaps that’s why, by the end of the end of the night, most had just sought out simple pleasures of drinking vin, sing the folk songs in Sicoutian French off old words they had heard being spoken in their houses, and find themselves updating their wiki entries of homeland culture.

At least there’s no overstaying the welcome. He nodded, as he exited the elevator at 12th floor, having drunk enough alcohol for the day. But then that’s not what they’re really looking for. Especially if the country wants to open itself up, in case their economic declines again...this has happened before and could happen anytime...

That’s the thought he carried with himself, as he saw a couple of college students of both delegations cheerfully laughed before chasing each other into one of the rooms. Silly children, he smiled on the inside as he went into his room.

As previously asked, Eileen and Asher were assigned neighbouring hotel rooms, with them sharing the washroom. With her being busy on her own, talking to local musicians one moment and penning her words down the next, Asher was going to be the one heading to bed early for once. He was now feeling tired, and the views of the Edmundston Harbour and the Terramindean Sea had him feel as if he were on yet another vacation out east coast. The sweat-glistened layers of his formalwear lightly tugged towards his body, he felt like he could have a quiet night, a spakoynaya noch.

But then, it doesn’t always work like that. As he turned around to flatten his bed, he found a book with a leather cover, and read its title. Simple and complex, it seemed to have brought him something that he had hoped would not, but was going to anyway.

‘On the Idea of National Durability’

Fuck me…..

That’s all he said.
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:31 pm

Previous RP (Poafmersia - Ch 2 Part 15b)
Previous RP (TGI - Ch 2 Part 16)
RP Series: Getting to the top
Chapter 2: A tale of 2 nations
Part 17: Heads will roll

Danzik Hoboson confirms that match against Juvencus will be his last home match as captain
Reported by Jacob Harmot
Fiskadaha - Danzik Hoboson has confirmed that he will step down as captain after this qualification campaign, adding that he will leave his international career to "the coaches".
In front of the local reporters, Danzik Hoboson announced that the team needs to sit back and reflect about this campaign in general, following the 3-0 loss at Delaclava which effectively eliminated Poafmersia qualifying for the playoffs or the World Cup proper. "We need to think about whether our team needs a full scale renewal. Some players may not feature in our next tournament, whether it is the Cup of Harmony, or the Independents Associations' Cup. Others may take a back seat for the next tournament, with younger players stepping up to the fold and showcase Poafmersia's next generation. Against Delaclava, the team literally exposed all the mistakes that they had in the previous few matches when they started drawing, and we need to take full responsibility for throwing away this opportunity to possibly qualify for the World Cup."
Adding on to the statement, Adnan Suliaha said that their "efficient" team renewal process will be sped up, as the problems with the team starts to get fixed. "We need to fix the major problems that we have seen over the past few matches. Danzik Hoboson has told me that he can get a reduced role for the next few tournaments, which I understand as a way for him to take responsibility for the 3-0 trashing by Delaclava. Our team will take this time to reflect on what is next, and we would aim to go into the Cup of Harmony better, assuming we are given an invite by the hosts." He added that the match against Juvencus and Lovisa would see starting rosters modified from what was previously announced, and that younger players would be given a chance to showcase their personal talents. "We would take the last 2 matches as a way to audition more players for the next few tournaments. The regulars will still feature, but maybe not everyone."

Delaclava 3
Lukas Meyer 40', 80'
Artem Kohut 65'

Poafmersia 0

Starting 11: Sandi Jaliaha; Alex Pickford; Alex Hoboson, Danzik Hoboson (c), Denise Pickford; Daas Taisg, Woden Sweet, Gisiik Moonar; Joel Haodao, Shakira Handris, Pete Carisa
Substitutes: Hansel Tang (Haodao 55'); Nasri Sanchez (A. Pickford 69'); Ftiks Wariq (Sweet 78')

Poafmersia 2
Shakira Handris 10' (Assisted by Joel Haodao), 83' (Asssisted by Daas Taisg)

Juvencus 2
Santo Silvestri 30'; Joaquim Martell 61'

Starting 11: Sandi Jaliaha; Ariel Casey; Pasits Rikachz, Danzik Hoboson (c), Denise Pickford; Daas Taisg, Ftiks Wariq, Arnold Shwentin; Joel Haodao, Shakira Handris, Pete Carisa
Substitutes: Monesty Erdos (Carisa 61')

Starting 11 against Lovisa: Suzanne Trengove; Nasri Sanchez; Pasits Rikachz, Danzik Hoboson (c), Natalia Abbott; Nero Wood, Ftiks Wariq, Arnold Shwentin; Emma Conner, Aleka Dufour, Monesty Erdos
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 pm

WORLD CUP 86 - NEWMANISTAN/DRAWKLAND

This cutoff is it for qualifying!
Which side of the emotional rollercoaster will your nation end up on?
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 am

Hjörleifursson walks into sunset having delivered Snow Wolves to play-offs

When the Græntfjall national team take to the field at the Grander International Arena next month in the first leg of their World Cup qualifying play-off against Quebec, they will do so for the first time without Vilbjörn Hjörleifursson in the blue-and-white. The 38 year old Molding center back will make an appearance, but it will be in a suit-and-tie, as he confirmed his retirement following the match against Nagore that guaranteed advancement to the playoffs for the Snow Wolves. “I said this match would be my last and I intend on honoring that,” he said in his post-match comments. “I’m just immensely proud that my last game turned out to be the one that sent us to the play-offs.” Græntfjall will play a two-legged playoff against former World Cup semi-finalists Quebec for the right to compete in the World Cup proper, but will do so without the services of their veteran defender.

Hjörleifursson is the only outfield player to have played in every one of Græntfjall’s full international games. He retires with the bare statistics of one goal and one yellow card in 36 matches, and having led the sixth-best defense (tied with Zwangzug) in the World Cup 86 qualifying field. Such numbers do little justice to the impact Hjörleifursson has had on, and off, the field, in national colors. Though Græntfjall has no formal national team captain, starting players elected him to wear the armband for the game in Nagore; when he removed it at the end of the game for the final time, onlookers knew it would be a long time before such a universally respected talisman donned the armband again.

A Molding player free of the Gunzlach – Steinaux rivalry that has dominated Græntfjaller domestic football in recent years, a western-born player who moved to Háttmark to play football but retains strong affection west of the Ólafsfluss, a powerful and physical center back who was rarely injured in twenty seasons of top-flight football and even more rarely disciplined despite his strong tackling and aerial presence, Hjörleifursson has often been described as the “rock” of the national team, alongside center back partner Ralf Álfarsson. “His name might not show up on the scoresheet often, but he’s been invaluable to the Snow Wolves’ successful introduction to international football,” says Steinaux striker Petter Erlingsson. His teammates agree: Hofvinger and national team forward Lyngar Rögnvaldursson said his presence went “beyond tackles and headers – though those were pretty important too!”

In the event, Hjörleifursson’s final match was the slightest of anti-climaxes. Græntfjall had the benefit of the bulk of early possession, threatened the Sharks’ goal thrice inside the first twenty minutes, and made the last of these chances count as Bríana Noahsdóttir, continuing her strong form since returning to the starting line-up, turned in a Karoline Vernerisdóttir cross. Thereafter, a secure defensive showing – led by Hjörleifursson and Álfarsson – meant victory seemed assured. Jason Þórhallursson headed in a Hlégestur Snæþórsson corner in the second half to put the margin of victory and, though Noahsdóttir’s two free-kicks grazed the cross-bar and were palmed around the post by a diving Brianca Rutheford, two goals proved solid enough. With the head-to-head advantage over both Yuezhou and Sarzonia irrespective of their wins elsewhere, Græntfjall could celebrate a job well done – and not quite finished.

The play-offs were unexpected, and thus presented a scheduling clash with the Grand National Arena where home games during the campaign have customarily been played; as such, the home leg of the play-off will see the footballing debut of the Grander International Arena, Steinaux’s lavish new stadium built in the upmarket district of north Háttmark. Underpitch heating should obviate concerns about playing a game so late in the Græntfjaller calendar year, though the prospect of playing at Steinaux rather than Gunzlach will necessarily stir up some lingering rivalries. Gunzlach striker Þórhallursson played down such concerns. “I don’t see why Gunzlach should host every single home international,” he said. “It’s good to have some variety.” He was dismissive, though, of complaints from western teams Altendalur and Hintersfjörður that they should have the opportunity to host international matches as well as the capital teams. “No one wants to invite international sides to Græntfjall then exile them out to some little town in bumfuck-nowhere.”

The question of east-versus-west has reared its head, too, over the issue of Hjörleifursson’s replacement. Either Hilmar Farmansson of Platinastigrade in Zeta Reka and Hügeltaldon’s Federal Football League or Hjörleifur Reynarsson of Steinaux will start in the number 4 shirt, but the 23rd man added to the squad will be Tom Ernestisson. The center back had an outstanding domestic for champions Altendalur, but will now leave the club to attempt to secure an international deal. Given Altendalur players have historically been overlooked for international selection, it has further fueled suspicion from fans of the Chessmen. “Alexander [Leonardsson] left us [for Gunzlach] and suddenly he’s in the national team,” says Freifjölmiðlar football correspondent Elvíra Fredriksdóttir. “Now the same with Tom.” She contrasted the selection with the treatment given to “loyal Chessmen” Ásgautur Johannesson and Andrin Franklínsson, both featured heavily during the successful Baptism of Fire campaign but falling out of favor at national level and seeing diminishing playing time for the Snow Wolves. “I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy, it’s just highly suspicious,” said the silver foil hat-wearing columnist.

National team coach Sigtryggur Brynjólfursson rubbished any suggestion of eastern bias in his selections. “We look at everyone available to us and make a selection carefully. There are more eastern teams in the GPL so it’s understandable more eastern players get picked, but that doesn’t mean quality western players don’t have the exact same chance to stand out and earn national colors,” he said. Veteran football journalist Olle Tobiasson similarly dismissed the notion of a conspiracy against Altendalur. “They put out the most foreign players on their starting XI,” he pointed out, “So for a start they have fewer Græntfjaller players to choose from. And of those six three are in the squad so it’s hard to see any ‘bias’. No other side in the GPL can boast half their eligible starting lineup in the national squad!” Fredriksdóttir responded that Tobiasson, who has routinely described the Chessmen as “the worst title winning side in Græntfjaller history” and often begins his columns by fulminating against western teams – in his latest article, he described being “unable to get the smell of whale shit out of my nose” after travelling to the west to watch a game – may not be the most unbiased mediator on the issue.

Brynjólfursson will be hoping such intra-national squabbles can be set aside for the play-offs. “These two matches will decide whether we go to the World Cup or not, so I want the whole country together rooting for us,” he said following the squad announcement. Quebec represent one of the toughest adversaries Græntfjall will have faced on the football field and their extremely attacking style may be a test for the Snow Wolves’ new-look defense, while their Bubonic Plague ultras are an intimidating prospect for the Snow Wolf Pack. But Hjörleifursson, for one, has every confidence in his now-former teammates. “They’re going to go out and give two great performances, and if they do win, there will be no one cheering louder than me,” said the center back as he now contemplates a well earned retirement from the hardships of contesting corners and marking pacey strikers. “I’m proud of everything we achieved together in my playing career: but I hope it’s only the beginning for Græntfjaller football.”

Nagore – 0 (0)
Rutheford; Giffords, Breedlove, Cartwright, Dunn; Dave Image (76’ Sexton Image Image (80’)), Crabapple Image (86’), St. Bernard Image (46’ Del Mar Image), Waller Image (50’ O’Malley Image Image (90’)); Guthrie Image (18’), Mugler

Græntfjall – 2 (1)
Leonardsson; Vilbertsdóttir, Hjörleifursson, Álfarsson Image (20’), Vernerisdóttir; Aunosdóttir; Raphaelsson, Guttisdóttir Image (72’ Bjørnsson Image), Jvarsson Image (58’ Snæþórsson Image), Noahsdóttir Image (20’); Þórhallursson Image (72’)

Also in the paper:
  • NEWS: Blue-Greens consider turning to National Democratic Front as Progressive Liberals surge in polls
  • BUSINESS: Pro-whaling or anti-whaling? Liberal flip-flops undermine crucial industry
  • MEDIA: Nagore game eclipses Olympics to draw biggest ever domestic TV audience
  • LIFESTYLE: Growing numbers of children seek gender counselling
  • SPORT: Basketball referees struggle to adapt to new rules
Last edited by Graintfjall on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:19 am

Goalkeeper: Hugo Ximenes - #25 (M, age 26, 1.85 m)

Defenders:
    Breno Maciel - #26 (M, age 32, 1.76 m)
    Cristiano Pimentel- #27 (M, age 35, 1.87 m)
    Romeu Serrano- #28 (M, age 26, 1.78 m)
    Flávio Zanetti- #29 (M, age 36, 1.75 m)
    Midfielders:
    Alfredo Prestes - #30 (M, age 30, 1.78 m) (New Vice-captain)
    Juliano Medeiros- #31 (M, age 29, 1.81 m)
    André Alencar- #32 (M, age 35, 1.74 m)
    Attackers:
    Mauro Garcia - #33 (M, age 34, 1.87 m) (New Captain)
    Danilo Saraiva- #34 (M, age 25, 1.76 m)
    Leandro Barroso- #35 (M, age 29, 1.82 m)

Head coach and assistant coach positions remain the same.

SNN Sports

SC loses against Juvencus in the last qualifications match only by one point!

Silver Commonwealth 1-2 Juvencus

Mauro Garcia 18' I Santo Silvestri 53', Patxi Etxeberria 73'

''This match was largely anticipated not only by SC's hardcore football fans but the rest of the SC as well, considering that it was the last qualifications match before playoffs, and a chance for the reserve team to shine, especially if they would deliver a victory against Juvencus. And while they indeed performed better than the first time and the scores weren't as far from each other, it seems that victory was not brought to home this time as well, as Juvencus defeated SC with the result of 1-2. To be fair, the reserve team has managed to get two revanches during this World Cup, but while a third revanch as the last match of the qualifications would have been particularly special, it seems that gods and stars up in the skies hadn't got such fate for our team. Hey, at least SCFA and The Party aren't completely disillusioned by SC's international performance, and Enrico's team will perhaps see the light of day again. After all, this participation did attract more interest about football back at SC's regions.''

''The first period actually felt kind of hopeful for SC's fans, as their team actually managed to put up a good play, and in 18th minute the captain Mauro Garcia managed to score the first goal after a pass from the midfielder Juliano Medeiros, making the result 1-0 in SC's favor. Little would they know that it would be the only goal they would get for the entire game, and things would go down later on in the game... From Juvencus plays in the 1st period, perhaps the most noticeable one was the scoring potential in 28th minute by the forwarder Santo Silvestri (Who would later score a goal for Juvencus anyways, but on the second period), but he got outplayed by defender Flávio Zanetti who then passed the ball to the midfielder Alfredo Prestes. Still, the 1st period's result stayed the same for the rest of its time, and it ended with 1-0. Our team hadn't played superb in the first period, but we still did pretty good.''

''The second period of the game overall was spent in the light of Juvencus, as Juvencus forwarder Santo Silvestri scored a goal in the 53rd minute already, bringing the result to a tie. While disheartened by the result, SC's fans took it pretty well as there was still a chance for Enrico's team and the goalkeeper Ximenes to keep a draw until the end, thus the game wouldn't result in a loss. However, the good play of Patxi Etxeberria in 73rd minute would take off most of the cool from SC's fans as it brought the result to a 1-2, and in Juvencus favor instead. It is said that after this goal Enrico clapped his hands against the head, and went on a rant with the main team which had played in the first phase of the qualifications. The Patxi being the one who scored the goal was also surprising, as until then they hadn't stood out much on the field, asides from a few passes. Either way, despite the SC's best attempts to score the second goal to bring the result to a draw they weren't particularly resourceful, and the match would end with SC's team capitulating to Juvencus with 1-2.''

''The discontent of SC's fans after this loss rose to a similar level of the first days of the tournament when the main team would have series of losses, and the excitement/interest had reached the lowest point. While in the aftermath of most of reserve team's losses there wasn't as much of such behavior, this was a particular case as it was the last match of qualifications, a.k.a the last chance for SC's team to show what it is capable of, and several people actually had expectations of a win. Either way, while the hopes of getting to the second stage of tournament were already low, this has reduced them even more, and it looks like that the tickets to Drawkland/Newmanistan aren't coming anytime soon. However, the police and gendarmerie have managed to keep streets for the most part peaceful, and in comparison there aren't that much potentially aggressive football thugs anyways. Either way, it seems that Enrico and his team took the loss like men, and didn't let their heads down.''

''With this lost match the Newmanistan phase of Qualifications and Qualifications overall come to an end, and only thing left before the second stage of tournament starts is play-offs, where a few countries might squeeze through and get a second chance. As there right now is not much else to be done, all we can do is wait for the results. And who knows, SNN Sports might report about the other matches if our team doesn't make it through the qualifications. After all, the second World Cup's stage becomes the real deal with a lot of stakes, because if you have got there it shows that your team is a considerable-enough power.''
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
⚒ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʀᴇᴘᴜʙʟɪᴄ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜ ⚒
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
⚖ ᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴇꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ꜰᴇʟʟ,
ʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ᴅᴇᴍᴏᴄʀᴀᴄʏ ꜱᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴇʀꜱ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴜʀᴠɪᴠᴀʟ ☠
_[][][][][][][L'''][Σ][][~][][][]_
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

This nation doesn't represent my views

IRL views: not much different from 4 years ago (socdem)

Tom being a control freak + pathological distrust of private enterprises = this nation

''I thought that I was a conservative. Turns out, I was just sentimental at times''

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Boot It!: MD18 - "Jags Rise Out Of The Darkness"

Postby TJUN-ia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am

By Peter Davis

Darkness descended over the Dhaencunor Arena and torches were placed in a triangle on the pitch. When the lights came on, the torches were replaced by the 30 or so players who would represent the nation of Tikariot - the hosts of tonight's fixture. The men were in their black home kits, a colour reflected by the tens of thousands of local supporters who stood in silence in the stands. It was an eerie atmosphere as the referees and the TJUN-ian side, in their orange and blue away kit, entered this cauldron of destiny. They were applauded by the thousands of Jaguar fans who had made the journey to Rushmore on this night, but the locals remained silence. The cameras, the metal observers of this fixture, would beam the arrival of the Jags back to TJUN-ia and across the wider multiverse. But instead of following the customs of the land they were in, the 11 men who would fight for our glory on this night followed what manager David Seems told them just a few minutes ago. They lined up on the centre line, linked up their arms, and faced the thunder of Tikariot as representatives of a land with similar ambitions: to reach the Playoffs of World Cup 86 in order to fight for a place in the finals for the first time ever. When the anthems were finished and the festival of Tikariotian pride was finally complete, the historic feeling of this night was taken in by both sides: one of these teams would finish 2nd in Group 11 and fight for a place in the finals itself. The question was, who would rise above the over in Tikariot City?

Both Seems and his opposite in Stuart Ekstrom knew how important this fixture would be in deciding how good this campaign was for their respective sides, so they planned accordingly. For Seems the 1-0 loss to the Snowy Owls in TJUN-ia City was something to build on and on a night like this, anything and everything must be used in order to get the result required. It was simple: anything other than defeat would send TJUN-ia to the playoffs, so Tikariot were the ones under the most pressure as they needed to win in order to overhaul the Jaguars. As the teams got ready to decide their fate, Seems and his assistant (Li Xiu Ying) shared a moment on the sideline - no matter how this night got on for TJUN-ia, they would still have each other in the long run.

The first half was a display of both sides' potential in the WCC as well as their drive for improvement in the closest they have ever been to the promised land. Both Harold Gylfisson and Brian Merson were kept busy by the attackers, with close chances for both sides. Joe Green had a shot just go over the bar, Trey Burnett's shot from just outside the box was just deflected out of the box by Gylfisson, etc., etc. At half time, this fixture had seen a lot of action but no goals - good for TJUN-ia, bad for Tikariot and everyone knew that.

Which is why the 2nd half saw the Snowy Owls come out fighting for their lives, and with good reason too. The 56th minute saw a pivotal moment of this fixture, with a Tikariot corner. Rory McNair took it, and it was headed in by 18-year-old Morris Nighthorse - one of Tikariot's "Young Guns". The roof came off of the Dhaencunor and TJUN-ia were in trouble. Seems brought on the subs - Archer Andrews and Prince Carter to shore up the attack, Mohammad Malsharma to give us defensive stability (Green, Peliniho and Kallah were the players brought off). The next few minutes were absolute hell, as TJUN-ia searched for a goal that would tie this fixture and send us through, but Merson was taking no answers from the offence. All looked lost here in Tikariot City.

But there was a reason why TJUN-ia was known as the "Draw Masters" - no matter what happens in the game, somehow we would finish with a point. It was a pattern we were scrutinised for in the past, and deservedly so, but on this night, a night where a point was all that we required, the pattern was now being begged for - and it did come. 86th minute, free kick to TJUN-ia. Pedro Vasquez was taking it. Let's head to JBBST...

"Now then, this is crucial. We know how good Vasquez can be at free-kicks when he wants to be. Gylfisson is back at our goal, a few players are just outside the box but everyone else is setting up for this kick. Tikariot has a wall and everyone else in the crowd of players, looking to be the hero for either side. Vasquez now kicks high.....and IT'S IN!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS, IT'S MOHAMMAD MALSHARMA!! THE CENTER BACK FROM THE DI BRADINI MAY HAVE JUST SENT TJUN-IA TO THE PLAYOFFS OF WORLD CUP 86! IT WAS MANU KEPELEWAKO IN FALCONBARROW, AND IT MAY BE MOHAMMAD MALSHARMA IN TIKARIOT CITY! Tikariot 1, TJUN-ia 1, and the home crowd are STUNNED with 4 minutes of regular time to play!

When you need a late-minute goal to send the Jaguars through, just call a youth player. The final few minutes were even more like hell than previously, as the Snowy Owls looked to get the advantage back but the wall that is our defence held firm. As the final whistle blew, the managers shook hands while the players descended into chaos. The men in black were on the floor in shock, while the men in orange and blue were running around in shock. The TJUN-ian section of the crowd was in absolute pandemonium while the rest was in deep shock and sadness. TJUN-ia as a whole went bonkers while Tikariot as a whole went silent. Because it would be TJUN-ia, not Tikariot, who would go to the playoffs of WC86. Because this draw meant everything to one and meant absolute pain for the other.

Our opponents for the Playoffs were decided via coin flip, with Chromatika bested by Audioslavia in the battle to face Darmen. The 1st leg will be in TJUN-ia City, the 2nd in Chromatk City as far as I am aware. But no matter where we go, it won't change the fact that TJUN-ia rose out of Tikariot City to be there in the first place. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group 11) - lines indicate when next edition of Boot It! will be released
MD1: @Filindostan (50) W 3-2 (T-2nd)
MD2: vs Se Vende Skooma (344) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City W 5-2 (1st)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MD3: @Natanians and Nosts (114) - Stadion Nacional (?) D 0-0 (1st)
MD4: @Port Ember (38) - Lilly Black Memorial Stadium, Port Ember Megalopolis W 1-0 (1st)
MD5: vs Union Europae (UR) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky D 0-0 (1st)
MD6: @Mriin (16) - Haven, Maal L 1-3 (2nd)
MD7: vs South Newlandia (87) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong L 2-3 (4th)
MD8: @Southern Palm Islands (310) W 1-0 (T-2nd)
MD9: vs Tikariot (243) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City L 0-1 (3rd/4W-2D-3L/+2GD/14pts)
MD10: vs Filindostan (50) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong W 6-3 (3rd)
MD11: @Se Vende Skooma (344) W 4-1 (3rd)
MD12: vs Natanians and Nosts (114) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky W 4-3 (2nd)
MD13: vs Port Ember (38) - Beregozera Stadium, Szensky D 3-3 (2nd)
MD14: @Union Europae (UR) W 4-2 (2nd)
MD15: vs Mriin (16) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City L 1-3 (2nd)
MD16: @South Newlandia (87) - Jecken Arena, Newport D 0-0 (2nd)
MD17: vs Southern Palm Islands (310) - Tiankong Stadium, Tiankong W 4-3 (2nd)
MD18: @Tikariot (243) - Dhaencunor Arena, Tikariot City D 1-1 (2nd/9W-4D-5L/+10GD/32pts)

PLAYOFF - vs Chromatika (36)
1st Leg (National Stadium, TJUN-ia City):
2nd Leg (Capitalizt Dome, Chromatk City):
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Audioslavia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Southwest Eastnorth may seem a little confused when it comes to which way they're facing, but it was the Audioslavians who were directionless on matchday eighteen of the playoffs.

Even before the Audioslavian national team departed the field at the Arena Kirola to a chorus of boos - a near first-choice Bulls team having lost a goal early in each half and having spent the majority of the game flailing tamely and increasingly desperately at a Southwest Northeasterner team elated to receive a rare three points - the mathematicians and statisticians had begun figuring out the permutations with regards to whether or not the national side could hold onto their automatic qualification place.

They couldn’t. By one point.

For the seventh time in our history, the Bulls will be going into a World Cup playoff. It’s an area where we have a good record, but one that isn’t without it’s black marks.

Audioslavia in the World Cup Playoffs

World Cup 5: Audioslavia 1-2 Moyk

Back in the ancient era of international football, World Cup 5 was infamous in Audioslavia.

The Bulls, back then often referred to as the ’Slaves, had made their debut in World Cup 4, winning three and losing three in qualifying, which back then was a single round-robin wherein the top four of a group of seven would go to the World Cup. At the finals in Brazillico, Audioslavia took a win over eventual runners-up Jurassica and two draws, against Kingsford and Europa Brittania, to progress to the second round, where they’d lose on penalties to local rivals Lemmitania.

Their performance was enough to see Audioslavia enter World Cup 5 with a world ranking of 11, one of only three seeded teams in Group 2. The others being One Red Dot and Caras Sidh. With three of the group’s eight teams qualifying for the finals, Audioslavia were comfortable favourites.

And then that match happened. Audioslavia hosted an unranked newcomer playing their first game of international football and lost. At home. 4-0. That unranked newcomer’s name was Albert Einstein Squornshelous.

Audioslavian overconfidence was shattered into smithereens, and the side were once again given a hiding on matchday two, losing 3-0 to One Red Dot before succumbing 1-0 to Hendland. Played three, lost three, condeded eight, scored none. With only four games left to play, Audioslavia were all but out.

A lifeline would be extended from World Cup co-hosts Al Quds, who would do us the courtesy of entirely ceasing to exist, leaving fellow co-hosts Tanah Burung to pick up the slack and, crucially, one extra place would be available in the World Cup. A playoff tournament would be arranged between the eight teams finishing fourth in their respective groups, with the winner going to World Cup 5.

Audioslavia, given a glimmer of hope, went for it. They scored their first, second, third and fourth goals of the campaign in defeating Halfassedstates before overcoming Caras Sidh 3-2 and Dark Outcasts by two goals to one, before salvaging a last-minute draw with Christofi to take fourth place in the group and enter the playoff tournament.

Now unbeaten in four and with winds in their sails, the Audioslavian national team took to the field against Moyk, ranked 39th in the world, and duly lost by two goals to one.

Moyk were defeated in the semis of the playoff tournament by another newcomer. That newcomer would go onto win the playoff final and head to the World Cup in their debut tournament. And that team’s name was Albert Einstein Bedistan. The future four-time champions’ reward was a whole two points in the group stage and an early exit. Audioslavia’s opening day opponents Squornshelous would reach the quarter-finals and would, themselves, become World Champions in the future. To this day, any time Squornshelous and Audioslavia are mentioned within the same breath, that 4-0 demolition is brought up.

Audioslavia’s performance was so bad, and their whining so loud, that the World Cup has used a double round-robin format, instead of single round-robin, for every tournament since.
World Cup 17: Audioslavia 2-1 Halfassedstates

In World Cup 5, as with the modern era, the playoff system was used because it had to be used. The hosts deemed that playoffs were the quickest, simplest and fairest way to whittle down X deserving teams into Y amount of places in the finals tournament.

In World Cup 17, the playoff system was used because ‘hey well why not?’. Ten groups of eight teams each surely means the top three go through, right? Hah. No. The teams finishing first and second qualified outright, but those in third and fourth would go through to a seeded, single-game playoff held in the home stadium of the team that had finished third in their group.

That cycle, Audioslavia had been drawn into a tough group with Cockbill Street and a team called Squornshelous.

Audioslavia had taken a measure of revenge on Squornshelous in the quarter-finals of World Cup 12. Squornshelous had, again, scored four goals, but the Bulls had hit five to progress to the semis at their rivals’ expense. Here in World Cup 17, the Audioslavia/Squornshelous rubber-match ended with Squorn again scoring four. Audioslavia could only manage one.
The return fixture finished nil-nil - the first time Squornshelous had failed to score four against the Bulls - and the red-and-blacks retained second place in the group behind Cockbill Street and ahead of Audioslavia in third.

Audioslavia’s opponents for that playoff were a team called Halfassedstates. Now, if you’re familiar with a guy called Jeremy Jaffacake then you might already have heard the name ‘Halfassedstates’. Something about JJ poisoning the water supply of the entire country? Yeah. That happened before this game. Halfassedstates arrived in Audioslavia lethargic and lacking stamina. They still scored the first goal (I mean, it is Audioslavia), but conceded two to miss their chance at qualification.

In eight of the other nine playoffs, the unseeded team somehow managed to claim victory, meaning eight teams who had finished fourth in an eight-team qualification group qualified for the World Cup. This hateful eight included former champions Lemmitania and Europa Brittania, veterans Spaam and One Red Dot and a young, forgettable football team who played in white and purple. We forget their name.
World Cup 21: Audioslavia 4-0 Iansisle, Iansisle 0-1 Audioslavia

Audioslavia’s national team had reached the finals of World Cups 19 and 20, so why did they need a playoff to even reach World Cup 21?

They were shit, that’s why.

Drawn into a Group of Life with Kylaai, Oceaice and sub-Starblaydi no-marks Nova Britannicus, Audioslavia slumped to a 6-3-3 record, taking only one point from the top two of Nova Britannicus and Kylaai.

These playoffs, thankfully, were held over two games, the first in Audioslavia, the second at the home of Iansisle, a veteran of twelve World Cups at that point, had also gone 6-3-3 in qualifying, albeit in a much tougher group that included a Squornshelous side that had gone unbeaten, a veteran Fmjphoenix and our old favourites The Belmore Family who themselves went 2-4-6 in possibly their worst ever showing in qualifying.

Audioslavia did enough in the first leg to all but negate the need for a second match, thrashing Iansisle 4-0. A 1-0 away win was enough for the Bulls to progress.

At the finals, Audioslavia avenged their 3-1 defeat to Nova Britannicus in qualifying by winning 2-0. The side would make their way to the semi-finals where arch rivals Total n Utter Insanity were in wait. Audioslavia lost 2-0 and went home.
World Cup 68: Audioslavia 4-1 Sameba, Sameba 2-4 Audioslavia

Ah, World Cup 68. A vintage tournament. Legalese and Free Republics not quite at their wackiest, but close. A bizarre playoff system, Esportiva kicking the doors in and truly announcing themselves on the world stage and a popular win for a Vilita side that, for all their talent, weren’t quite as scary as the Jungle Cats side that have dominated the eighties so far.

World Cup 68’s double playoff system worked well but made a lot of people angry. I mean, that’s pretty much the tag-line for any system pioneered by Legalese and Free Republics. “It’ll work, but it’ll make people angry”

After the traditional double round-robin qualifiers, the winners of each of the twenty-four groups would go to a two-legged playoff. The teams finishing second and third in the groups would go into their own playoff. From here, the winners of the first playoff, over two legs, would go to the World Cup, with the losers going to a second playoff. Of the 48 runners up, half would go through to the second playoffs, with the other half being knocked out.

In the second playoff, these twenty-four teams would be drawn with the twelve losers from the Group Winners’ playoff. The eighteen winners over two legs would go to the World Cup.

Audioslavia dominated a group wherein Kandorith and Vaugania were their only real rivals and went undefeated, putting themsleves in the winners playoff. There, belligerent Rushmorians Sameba were waiting. Once again, Audioslavia’s strong first leg put the second beyond doubt. After a 4-1 win in Sameba, the side won the second leg 4-2 to progress to the finals. Crucially, they managed to avoid Red Wednesday. For an in-depth guide to Red Wednesday, wait for The Idiot Project Episode 4 Chapter 6.
World Cup 80: Abanhfleft 0-1 Audioslavia, Audioslavia 2-3 Abanhfleft (Abanhfleft win on Away Goals)

Ah yes, this match.

Between cycles 64 and 78 Audioslavia hadn’t been outside of the top ten in the world. Then, Jeremy Jaffacake’s antics as the head of the World Cup Committee shamed the Football Federation of Audioslavia so much that they pulled out of World Cup 79, and Audioslavian football hasn’t really recovered since.

Entering cycle 80 ranked only 40th, the side nevertheless performed well in qualifying, finishing second in their group on 42 points, just seven behind runaway winners Nephara. In this cycle, the fifteen group runners-up were drawn in a two-legged playoff against the fifteen third-placed teams, with the winners over two legs going to the finals. Audioslavia, as joint-first seeds with Chromatika (just like this cycle), were drawn with an Abanhfleft side that had taken only 29 points, narrowly beating out the forgotten Norcambria for third place.

The Bulls were favourites. The Bulls were confident. Too confident.

We’ve seen this brand of Audioslavian overconfidence before. In ancient times with that 4-0 reverse against Squornshelous and just yesterday with the shocking performance against Southwest Eastnorth. Here, in World Cup 80, was that overconfidence at its most dreadful.

Assured of an Audioslavian victory and wanting to poke fun at their opponents, Audioslavian legend arsedouche Jeremy Jaffacake printed 40,000 pamphlets entitled A Football Tourist’s Guide to Vilita for Citizens of Abanhfleft and dropped them over the Fleftic capital of Riuwiee before the first leg, which the Bulls won by a goal to nil.

For the second leg in Cathair, the Audioslavians were smacked upside the head with the frozen haddock of hubris, losing 3-2 and missing the World Cup on the away goals rule.

To add insult to injury, an attempt at completing the Grand Slam of BoF, World Cup, Regional Tournament and CoH was denied in the Cup of Harmony final by Mercedini.
World Cup 81: Juvencus 1-1 Audioslavia, Audioslavia 6-3 Juvencus,

Beaten into second place by qualification group winners Starblaydia, Audioslavia approached their World Cup 81 playoff with Juvencus much more cautiously. A cagey first game ended in a tie, before an altogether more batshit nine-goal thriller in Cathair put the Bulls in the World Cup for the first time since cycle 78.

At the finals, draw with Eura and South Covello set up a showdown with Kira-Hinode that, had Audioslavia won, would have set up a tasty second-round encounter with Brenecia. The Bulls were found wanting in that final group game, though, losing out by two goals to one and ending their first finals campaign for three cycles with just two points.
World Cup 86: Audioslavia versus Darmen

Whereas in recent cycles a playoff was the best a transitional Audioslavian side could accomplish in qualifying, this time round there’s a sense that the Bulls have dropped into, rather than risen up to, a place in the playoffs. A solitary point at home against the group’s whipping boys Southwest Eastnorth would have been enough to assure automatic qualification after a tough campaign. Instead, the Bulls were panicky and lacking in ideas and find themselves staring at Darmen. Two teams enter, one team leaves, and the other team will leave after being declared the winners.

Audioslavia’s record against our westlandsless opponents is modest, taking two wins and three draws from six previous encounters. Darmen’s sole victory comes in cycle 59’s Cup of Harmony. In truth, the history here means nothing, with the two sides having not encountered one another since cycle 70, where they shared two points in a qualifying that seems scary in hindsight - Audioslavia, Darmen, Rejistania, Ceni and Electrum.

Audioslavian fans will hope that, with that hiding by SWEN close in their rearview mirros, Sean Patterick’s men will be taking this game as seriously as possible. Though the Audioslavians may still covet that Grand Slam, the World Cup is the real prize, and failure to qualify will all but force the manager out of his seat after an up-and-down tenure as national team manager.

Springmont
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Springmont » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Group 12                             Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Trolleborg 18 14 3 1 47 26 +21 45 Q
2 The Hinodejin Empire 18 11 3 4 36 20 +16 36 P
3 Taeshan 18 9 7 2 32 19 +13 34
4 Riena 18 8 4 6 35 30 +5 28
5 Ziwana 18 7 2 9 30 31 −1 23
6 Savigliane 18 6 2 10 37 45 −8 20
7 Springmont 18 4 7 7 32 37 −5 19
8 Fluvannia 18 5 3 10 21 31 −10 18
9 ZSeparatists 18 5 2 11 26 39 −13 17
10 The Grearish Union 18 3 3 12 16 34 −18 12

(MD1) Springmont 0–1 The Hinodejin Empire
Kingbury
Krepanovic, Heckbert (C), Wingstrom, Farrowshard
Fjetland, McColsom, Mohaupt
Mayfirth, Crownfish, Compton

(MD2) Riena 0–0 Springmont
Kingbury
Krepanovic, Heckbert (C), Wingstrom, Bloodsword

(MD3) Springmont  3-4 Savigliane 
Coe
Fogdream, Heckbert (C), Wingstrom, Farrowshard
Kaizer, Crownfish, Stanley

Springmont Scorer: Waldo Miguel Stanley - 23', 45', 77'

(MD4) Taeshan 3–2 Springmont
Auwaerter
Fjetland, McColsom, Delinois
Mayfirth, Crownfish, Stanley

Springmont Scorer: McColsom - 43' & Crownfish - 76''

(MD5) Springmont 1–0 Fluvannia
Kingbury
Ravenbluff, McColsom, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: Mayfirth- 12''

(MD6)  Trolleborg 5–2 Springmont
Kingbury (C)
Fogdream, Bloodsword, Wingstrom, Farrowshard

Springmont Scorer: Farrowshard- 30'; Crownfish - 59'

(MD7)  Springmont 2–1 ZSeparatists
Kingbury
Fjetland, Delinois, Mohaupt
Kaizer, Crownfish, Stanley

Springmont Scorer: Kaizer- 57'; Fjetland - 90'

(MD8)  Springmont 2–2 The Grearish Union
Kingbury
Fjetland, Delinois, Mohaupt
Kaizer, Crownfish, Mayfirth

Springmont Scorer: Mayfirth- 12'; Crownfish - 65'
Springmont Injuries: Kingbury

(MD9)  Ziwana 2–2 Springmont
Auwaerter
Ravenbluff, McColsom, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: Kaizer - 40'; McColsom - p. 77'

(MD10)  The Hinodejin Empire 4–2 Springmont
Auwaerter

Springmont Scorer: Crownfish- 80' & 88'

(MD11)  Springmont 4–3 Riena
Coe
Bloodsword, Heckbert (C), Wingstrom, Farrowshard
Fjetland, Ravenbluff, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: Mayfirth- 25', 44'; Fjetland - 71'; Wingstrom - 90'
Springmont Injuries: Wingstrom

(MD12)  Savigliane 2–4 Springmont
Coe
Bloodsword, Heckbert (C), Fogdream, Farrowshard
Fjetland, Ravenbluff, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: Farrowshard- 12', Fjetland- 41', Kaizer- 56', Crownfish- 76'

(MD13)  Springmont 0–0 Taeshan
Coe
Bloodsword, Heckbert (C), Fogdream, Farrowshard

Springmont Scorer: NONE
Springmont Injuries: Crownfish

(MD14)  Fluvannia 1–0 Springmont
Coe
Kaizer, Stanley, Mayfirth

Springmont Scorer: NONE
Springmont Injuries: Mohaupt

(MD15)  Springmont 1–2 Trolleborg
Coe
Fjetland, McColsom, Delinois

Springmont Scorer: Waldo Miguel Stanley - 20'
Springmont Injuries: Heckbert

(MD16)  ZSeparatists 3–3 Springmont
Coe
Krepanovic, Fogdream, Wingstrom, Farrowshard
Fjetland (C), McColsom, Ravenbluff

Springmont Scorer: McColsom - 28', Mayfirth - 81' & 88'
Springmont Injuries: None

(MD17)  The Grearish Union 2–2 Springmont
Kingbury (C)
Fjetland , McColsom, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: McColsom - 44', Stanley - 61'

(MD18)  Springmont 2–2 Ziwana
Kingbury (C)
Fjetland , McColsom, Mohaupt

Springmont Scorer: Kaizer - 24' & 44'

Goalscorer
Name Total
Crownfish 6
Mayfirth 6
Stanley 5
Kaizer 5
McColsom 4
Fjetland 3
Farrowshard 2
Wingstrom 1
SpringmontAir |IronHope Ltd | Springmont Football Club | Springmont Football Newswire | Sepak Takraw | DEMO | Newspaper | Embassy |Airport | Shipping |Company Directories
National Team: style +1.33 | Project Lion (Youth Team): style +1.56 | I scorinate Sepak Takraw using Badminton game

Juvencus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Juvencus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:03 am

OOC: Since my dumbass missed Silver Commonwealth's roleplay, this is a simulation of the game and not the game report itself, as the official report belongs to Silver Commonwealth.

WORLD CUP QUALIFICATION CHANCES DESTROYED, ENDING IN A WIN

Juvencus 2-1 Silver Commonwealth

Entering the last matchday and knowing their world cup qualification chances were tarnished long ago, the Juven squad was looking to at least seal the campaign with a victory. As such it entered a full strength squad against unranked Silver Commonwealth, a side very similar to the gli attaccanti, as they play extremely offensive football as well. This match had high expectations when it came to goalscoring, which sadly didn't get filled and on top of that, a disappointing full strength squad barely edged out with the victory at home against an unranked side, thanks to a Silvestri masterclass.

The first half didn't see any sides entering the field with the amount of energy they'd usually enter the game, very slow play ensued for a large chunk of the first half. However, the gli attaccanti found several weaknesses in the backline of the cogwheels very early on, however their midfield seemed too tight to surpass. A lightning fast attempt by Joaquim Martell saw him get through 3 players before his shot hit the crossbar. Soon after it was the cogwheels' time to shine, a quick attack ensued and a Alfredo Prestes through-ball found Garcia in a perfect position in front of the goal, however, Bulgari's cat-like reflexes were enough to keep the team alive once again. After that, a very possessive play followed, with neither side being able to penetrate the other's defence. As such, the second half ended in a 0-0 scoreline, a rare sight for the gli attaccanti.

The second half saw both teams entering the pitch quite re-energised and more engaged in their typical offensive play. A great Christian cross found Silvestri's head with the latter's header going wide, but only slightly. A barrage of opportunities by the gli attaccanti ensued, but to no avail. The cogwheels found a perfect opportunity to counter-attack on one of the failed opportunities of the gli attaccanti, with Alencar crossing it to Garcia and the latter missing the volley. On the 61st minute, a great interception by Bret in the midfield created the perfect conditions for an attack, a cross to Exteberria with the latter doing the backheel and finding Silvestri, to see him breaking the ice and giving the gli attaccanti the advantadge. The cogwheels weren't let down by their disadvantadge and instead started to increasingly pressure the defence of the Juven squad, eventually finding net with Mauro Garcia, arguably their man of the match. They did not stop there though, with 2 more shorts by Garcia hitting the crossbar and being saved by Bulgari, respectively. Towards the end of the game, the gli attaccanti was in front once more, but a vicious tackle by Pimentel onto Etxeberria around 27 meters out the box gave the perfect chance for the gli attaccanti to seal the game there. A lightning bolt of a strike by Silvestri left Hugo Ximenes standing still, unable to do react. As such, the gli attaccanti ended its world cup qualification campaign with a victory and sadly, yet another early disqualification.

Juvencus XI:
GK:Taddeo Bulgari
CB:Amaury Félix
CB:Nicolò Bassi
CB:Izotz Ibarra
CDM:Nino Russo
CDM:Clovis Bret
RM:Ekain Zuñiga
LM:Tore Christian
LF:Joaquim Martell
RF:Patxi Etxeberria(Assist 62')
CF:Santo Silvestri(Goals 62', 81')

Silver Commonwealth XI:
GK:Hugo Ximenes
CB:Romeu Serrano
CB:Cristiano Pimentel(Yellow card 80')
RB:Flávio Zanetti
LB:Breno Maciel
CDM:Alfredo Prestes
CM:Juliano Medeiros(Assist 67')
CM:André Alencar
RF:Danilo Saraiva
LF:Leandro Barroso
CF:Mauro Garcia:(Goal 67')
Last edited by Juvencus on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Empire of Juvencus
Diverse yet united
Demonym: Juven Trigram: JUE Capital: Pomena
Sonnel is my home<3

Darmen
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:24 am

"Trust in Me" says Myers as Bulls Charge
Will we be gored into the CoH, or do an amazing backflip into the WC?

SCOTT CITY - As Northumberland Stadium prepares to host a World Cup qualifying playoff match between Darmen and Audioslavia, fans of the All Greens are wondering whether or not Berhtoald Myers is really up to the job.

Matchdays 16 and 17 were crucial for Darmen, with a 1-0 victory over the Jovannic being secured in the first game and a 2-0 victory over Mattijana to secure Darmen's participation in the playoffs. However, a 3-1 loss to Saltstead on the final matchday of qualifying relegated Darmen to the position of lowest seeded playoff team. Had the All Greens been in any other qualification group, they'd have missed out on qualification entirely.

Missing out on the World Cup for the second time in a row would be a first for the All Greens in the modern era and the Bulls of Audioslavia are hoping they can make that happen. The two time World Cup champions were bested in Group 6 by the Holy Empire and are coming off a surprising 2-0 loss to Group 6 wooden spooners Southwest Eastnorth on the final matchday. But they're still two time World Cup champions and are similar in strength to the Starblaydia side that beat Darmen 5-3 in both qualifying matches.

One fan who witnessed the 3-1 loss to Saltstead in Augusta was quoted as saying, "I tell yah, I've got no faith in Myers, no faith, yah hear me?" Many other fans, both in Augusta and elsewhere, echoed the same sentiments. In a few instances, fans expressed their desire to see President Tor Tong Lee resign from the presidency and begin a second stint as the All Greens' manager.

Myers addressed the lack of belief in Darmen's ability to beat Audioslavia and in particular the lack of belief in his abilities to lead the team. "The opinions of the fans and the opinions of the players, they're quite different. The players trust me and my plans to defeat Audioslavia and get us into the World Cup, so all I can say is that I would hope that the fans can trust in me as well."

The result of the contest between Darmen and Audioslavia will in all likelihood decide Myers' fate. If Darmen wins, Darmeni supporters will likely come around to support Myers for another cycle; lose and the DFA will be forced to consider its options.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am

Fantasy Roundup

OOC: RP should count for WC MD1.
Last edited by Ko-oren on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Terre Septentrionale
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Septentrionale » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Terre Septentrionale draws with The Minarchist Free State, will play a playoff series

Shelburne, Shelburne Township - Because of a 2-2 draw against a weak team, Terre Septentrionale has to play a playoffs series. The winner will go to the World Cup and the loser will go to the Cup of Harmony. Before talking about the playoff series, here's a recap of matchday 18 between Terre Septentrionale and The Minarchist Free State. TMFS surprised Terre Septentrionale when they attacked at the 22nd minute. Ryan Davis made a short pass to Gary Flintwood who kicks the ball and it's a goal. 1-0 TMFS. And this is the score at halftime.

Terre Septentrionale attacked at the 56th minute when Krzysztof Pajaczkowski dribbled with the ball and made a short pass to Tymoteusz Swierczewski who shoots and he scores. The game is tied at 1-1. At the 65th minute it's a throw in for Terre Septentrionale in attacking zone. Élisabeth Normandin throws the ball to Wlodzimierz Waclawczyk who makes a header pass to Fryderyka Cwierczakiewiczowa who heads the ball into the net. The Nordiques are leading 2-1. At the 82nd minute, Ollie Wilkinson passed the ball to Kasius Melville in the penalty area but he's tackled by Ballou Béland-Hamel. It's a red card for Béland-Hamel and Melville looks hurt. He standed up and left the field by himself but he'll likely miss a week or two. James Fawkes takes the penalty, he kicks the ball and it's in. The game is tied at 2-2 and this is the final score.

BOXSCORE

22nd minute: Gary Flintwood assisted by Ryan Davis
56th minute: Tymoteusz Swierczewski assisted by Krzysztof Pajaczkowski
65th minute: Fryderyka Cwierczakiewiczowa assisted by Wlodzimierz Waclawczyk

82nd minute: James Fawkes (penalty)

YELLOW CARDS

31st minute: Krzysztof Pajaczkowski
38th minute: John Robinson
74th minute: Ollie Wilkinson

RED CARDS

82nd minute: Ballou Béland-Hamel

Playoffs series vs Squornshelous

Terre septentrionale missed out a direct participation to the World Cup by 2 points and will play a playoff series against Squornshelous. The first game will be at Squornshelous, likely at the Imperial Arena in Vogsphere. Anyone who want to enter in Squornshelous needs to contact their border control at least 6 months before arrival and the 1st leg is scheduled for 2 weeks from now, so we may have a problem. We advise fans to do not travel in Squornshelous unless you wanna be detained indefinitely. The return game will be played, assuming no one is detained in Squornshelous, at Stadion Hydro-Polnocna in Trzebiegoszcz.

Starting XI: Vainqueur - Niedzwiecki - Skrzeszewski - Brzezanczyk - Normandin - Ksiezniakiewicz - Fontaine - Kolodziejczyk - Waclawczyk - Cwierczakiewiczowa - McCracken

Wlodzimierz Pietruszewski,
Senior writer,
La tribune Septentrionale

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Imperial Border Control of the Imperium of Squornshelous
Object: Visas needed for two weeks from now

Dear Imperial Border Control,
we understand that normally it takes 6 months to get a visa to enter in your nation, but the Terre Septentrionale national Soccer Team has to play a playoff game in your nation in two weeks from now and we need our visas to be delivered fast. Here's the list of players, staff and journalist who needs visas. We'll bring a short squad which consists of 11 starting players and 5 players on the bench instead of 7. We'll bring the manager (of course), only one assistant coach and the physio. Only one journalist will travel with the team. Here's the alphabetical list of the Septentrionaux who needs a visa:

Zdzislaw Brzezanczyk (defender)
Fryderyka Cwierczakiewiczowa (striker)
Sandrine Fontaine (midfielder)
Bartlomiej Kasprzak (goalkeeper)
Roksana Kolodziejczyk (midfielder)
Zvonimir Kordic (striker)
Yannick Ksiezniakiewicz (midfielder)
Martine Latreille (assistant manager)
Sandie McCracken (striker)
Franciszek Niedzwiecki (defender)
Élisabeth Normandin (midfielder)
Krzysztof Pajaczkowski (midfielder)
Kacper Pietrzkiewicz (defender)
Wlodzimierz Pietruszewski (journalist)
Urszula Skoraczynska (physiotherapist)
Slawomir Skrzeszewski (defender)
Przemyslaw Tkocz (midfielder)
Georges-Kévin Vainqueur (goalkeeper)
Wlodzimierz Waclawczyk (midfielder)
Slawomir Wyrzykowski (manager)

Date of arrival: The day before the game
date of departure: Right after the game
Number of nights: 1 night

We hope that our request will be fulfilled whitin two weeks and we offer you our best regards,

Jean-Jacques Piette,
ASS president
Nation name: République de Terre Septentrionale | Trigramme: RTS | Capital: Ville Jacques-Cartier | Maps
Ranks: Hockey: 20th | American Football: 7th | Baseball: 17th | Association Football: 23rd | Rugby Union: 21st
Champions:
Runner Up: Cup of Harmony 76, International Baseball Slam XI
3rd Place: World Volleyball Expo X, International Baseball Slam XII, World Lacrosse Championship XXXV
4th Place: Arena Bowl VI
World Cup participations: WC 85 (3rd place in group), WC 86 (3rd place in group)

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Shinonome Kyoai - International
News From The Empire

The Playoffs, A Blessing And A Curse
Kandorese football fans cheer for the national football
team against Ancherion

"Kandorith made it! They have done it, what a magical night!" Those were the first words of commentator Taiji Okudaira as Kandorith extended their lead against Ancherion with their sixth goal, brilliantly scored by Kanetoki Hirano as he came onto the field for Hisakane Hayashi. The stadium erupted in shouts and cheers as finally the realization was their; the Kandorese national team would go to the playoffs to get a second chance at reaching the World Cup.

As the Kandorese fans celebrated their victory over Ancherion and reaching the playoffs with an amazing six to three scoreline, the work for Hayabusa and the team would resume already. The next challenge for the team awaits and this time it would be the thirty-first ranked team; South Covello, who have had quite a good run in the qualifiers so far. Yet in this match the Kandorese are the clear favourite, scoring more goals, winning more matches and having more points overall. Hayabusa himself said to not go for numbers on paper as South Covello is a very defensive team according to him, this is where there strengths lie.

"South Covello is a team I do not like facing, at least from what I have seen so far. They are defensive and tend to park the bus as they call it." Hayabusa commented. "Our task will be breaking down their defense and getting in shooting range, maybe we have to try more shots from range like we did in the game against Ancherion. The ground rule right now is; we have to do our very best every match now. I think it is great that we have made it to the playoffs but, there is so much more work to do right now and we can not afford to get complacent. What we see now is the 12 remaining number two teams which means they are just as good as we have been."

For Hayabusa the work is never done, but for the fans the night was worth celebrating. For them it means the first entry into the playoffs for the Kandorese team since World Cup 72, where it almost seemed the team would go to the World Cup as they beat Kernansquillec with seven to three on aggregate. Disaster however would follow, Kandorith faced Cassadaigua and already lost two to three at home and eventually away the Kandorese dream was smashed to pieces with another six to three defeat. From there on, World Cup 67 in Cassadaigua and the Equestrian States would remain one of the only World Cup where Kandorith ever participated after qualifying from the playoffs after beating Llamaland on away goals with a two to two score. World Cup 67 however, would not be a success for the then 60th ranked team managed by Xíanjí Hatema as the Kandorese only managed to score four goals and did not win a single match.

Kandorith In The World Cup - A Painful Memory

Kandorese football would lie dormant for a long while after this, as the nation was rather disappointed in the performance in both the World Cup and the Cup of Harmony runs that followed. A revolving door of coaches and mismanagement followed in the coming years for the Kandorese teams, nicknamed the Red Dragons back then, and it would be disappointed after disappointment. During World Cup 69 it was Yúan Genshí's turn, who could only get Kandorith a fifth spot in the qualifiers.

The World Cup would once again be held in the Equestrian States and this time with San José Guayabal, World Cup 70 was about to start. Kandorith was managed by Xí-tiang this time and would take a more attacking approach on football; moving the focus more towards the midfield and what would be the birth of modern day Kandorese football. As the lowest "best second placed team" Kandorith would go into the playoffs versus the well-known Bears Armed. The result: a 4 - 5 on aggregate for Kandorith, they would move to World Cup 70 and Group H would await them with Ko-oren, Audioslavia and Quebec. With Kandorith losing all games in the progress and swiftly being eliminated Xí-tiang would be the next manager to leave the team as Osarius became world champion.

Following another drama and reshuffles in the Kandorese Football Association, the next World Cup would be held in Felix and Yttribia. While the team would already become a well-known name on the international stage, results remained to be seen. Xí-tiang would return for his second time as the association could not find any capable other coaches who wanted to take on the job, mostly because of political instability in the nation. Yet, under Xí-tiang the Kandorese would once again move to the playoffs and would win 6 - 2 from Darvale moving into Group D. There Kandorith would face once again, Audioslavia, Nephara and the Blouman Empire. World Cup 71 would mark the first win for Kandorith in a World Cup match ever, defeating the Blouman Empire with 2 - 1. In complete disbelief Kandorith would then also defeat Nephara with 4 to 1 and eventually draw 3 - 3 against Nephara, reaching the round of 16 in a magical moment of brilliance as the number one placed team of the group. Kandorith would then succumb 2 - 3 against Barunia in overtime and was eliminated from the Cup. Eventually Osarius would once again be crowned world champions.

World Cup 72 would be the height of turmoil within the Kandorese nation and the Kandorese team, who were now under the lead of the defensive minded Huangzhou Yu. Kandorith would move into the World Cup qualifiers with, on average the youngest team of the world, with very hopeful thoughts from the fans. The highest ranking they had ever achieved, 24th, no doubt the team would move into the World Cup according to the fans. After a very strong start the team would run into trouble and managed to hang on to a second place to advance to the playoffs once again. Where a 4 - 1 goalfest determined that the team would once again be in the final tournament. Group B with The Holy Empire, Felix and San José Guayabal would turn into a disaster with the team once again only scoring one point and being mercilessly slaughtered. One soothing thought for the fans however would be the fact that The Holy Empire would end the tournament as fourth.

Huangzhou Yu would remain as manager and would build a completely new team for World Cup 73 hosted by Apox and The Royal Kingdom of Québec. For the first time Kandorith would manage to reach the round of 16 directly by placing first of group 13 during the qualifiers, ahead of the Equestrian States. The following group, group D would once again see them playing against the Equestrian States, Osarius and Abanhfleft. Winning one, drawing one and losing one match was enough for the Kandorese to advance to the round of 16 where they would face San Jose Guayabal once more. This would also be where Kandorith stranded after losing 4 - 2, where San Jose Guayabal would eventually win the third place.

Ranked 17th the Kandorese Red Dragons would move into World Cup 74, the question was if the magic of Huangzhou Yu would still be there and this time would bring the team beyond the round of 16. World Cup 74 would be a complete disaster for the team however, failing to stick to second place after an absolutely dramatic qualifying campaign.

World Cup 75 would be held in Audioslavia and Krytenia, nations the Kandorese are quite familiar with nowadays. Once again Kandorith would have a different manager, Hao Liwei would now be at the rudder of the team who offered that foreign nationals would also be invited to play for the national team but was hit with heavy resistance and protests. The qualifiers for Kandorith were another disaster as they only managed third once again with six points behind on the number 2, Sarrbia. It would also be an early exit for Hao Liwei.

World Cup 76 would mean the decline of the Kandorese football. With an absolute disastrous and passionless team, the political and cultural situation within the nation would start the decay of even international treaties, relations and sports. Kandorith would eventually place fourth during the qualifiers and even that position was nearly lost.

During the next World Cup many fans expected a turn around, the result: We do not speak about World Cup 77 in the Empire, the most disastrous result for the Kandorese. Even worse than when they first joined the qualifiers, Kandorith stranded in sixth place and was unable to make any lasting impression on the world. The result; the nation of Kandorith started losing interest in football as their national sport and it would take a miracle to revive it.

The "dark ages" of Kandorese football had started. With no interest of reviving the national sport the Kandorese Football Association was dismantled and the team did not opt in for World Cup 78. This was an utter defeating blow for the remaining fans of the national team and now they now too, lost most interest or hope for their national team. This era only signalled one thing in the nation: the once very proud Red Dragons, were no more. It would not be until World Cup 80 that the Kandorese team would make a return on the world stage. It would be a mix and match of several amateur players from the nation with a completely unknown manager in an attempt to revive football in the nation. The result: sixth place for the team and while not a complete embarrassment, a huge disappointment for the nation as a whole. The campaign led to the government not reestablishing the football association as they had enough prove that it was not in the national interest.

The all time low was reached during World Cup 82 in the Eternal Empire, Apox, Cosumar and Mriin. Kandorith was now ranked 174, their worst record ever and would finally make another attempt at qualification. The nation had gone through a massive political transformation, a civil war and was trying to find its feet once again in international waters. The Kandorese Committee of Football was established, which would be the beginnings of the IKFA) and Saitou Moriyase was chosen to be the chairman and manager of the KCoF with Toshi Fujiwara to be his assistant. The largest complaint from fans; the new colour would be purple, as they had hoped it would be a return of the Red Dragons. The team once again stranded in sixth place but was doing better than they had before; even winning matches while being in control of the play. Moriyase stated that he needed time to establish a well experienced and balanced team for his new vision.

But it would be World Cup 84 which was the spark. Not just for fans, but the Empire as well. The Imperial Kandorese Football Association was finally formalized and the sport was reinstated as a national sport. Under Moriyase the team was now known as "Bushi Narehiko" or Lotus Warriors, with the colours now proudly flying during match days throughout the entire nation. A complete reconstruction happened within the KCoF to turn the tables around and establish a system mostly based on nations like Starblaydia. Kandorith would end up being fifth in a group with Sargossa, Audioslavia and Newmanistan. An amazing feat considering their low experience and world ranking. This would also be the last World Cup for Moriyase as he had decided to step down as manager and become the full-time chairman of the IKFA.

The Hayabusa Legacy

A new name would be sung in the Kandorese stadiums from that moment on. Kandorith was invited to the Cup of Harmony 76, one of the most prestigious tournaments next to the World Cup. The nation had just crowned the first new monarch since the re-establishment of the Empire and with that a new hypermodern stadium would be build in honour of the Empress, Empress Masumi. Her Majesty is a well known supporter of football and has been spotted multiple times in domestic matches and would now speak out her blessing over the Kandorese international football. The man appointed to lead the nation there was Ken Hayabusa. A veteran in football managing both abroad and domestically, he would now wield the title of national manager of Kandorith.

A lot of people were sceptical about his appointment as he remains a rather controversial character due to his stance towards the press and direct approach to any questions. However, the skepticism was quickly forgotten as the people could finally experience what his style and vision of football was all about in the return to the Cup of Harmony. Group G was a tough group for the Kandoresse, being placed together with Hampton Island, Savojarna, E.O.T. Poafmersia and Squornshelan. However; the team went of to a flying start winning their first match quite convincingly and would eventually see the Kandorese place first after a 3 - 1 win against Savojarna and 2- 1 versus E.O.T. Kandorith would reach the knockout phase for the first time(In the CoH). This is where the story would end for the Kandorese, everyone was convinced, they had never gotten passed any knockout phase before and did not look up to the task against their next opponent: Bears Armed. The game against Bears Armed was one of the toughest games in Kandorese history and not just for the players and Hayabusa but with the game ending in 1 - 1 in overtime it would come down to penalties and Kandorith would survive, with 5 - 4 which for the Kandorese would mean an absolute victory. Hayabusa had done it, the team had survived a knockout phase for the first time and the next result against Terre Septentrionale would not even matter any more, the Lotus Warriors had reached the quarterfinals. This would also be where the Cup of Harmony ended for Kandorith; they would lose to an absolute powerhouse of Terre Septentrionale with 5 - 1 yet reaching the quarterfinals would still be a feat Hayabusa was celebrated for and was deemed an absolute success.

World Cup 85 finally arrived, with Hayabusa in charge what could go wrong? The World Cup turned into a rollercoaster of stress and emotions as Kandorith tried to get a grip on Equestria and HUElavia and in the end, finished third. A devastated Hayabusa did not give in and confirmed the team had to do better in the first stages of the tournament. Yet he was confident in the Cup of Harmony invitation that followed.

Legendary Status

Another sceptical entry to the Cup of Harmony as the defeat in the World Cup Qualifiers left a very bitter aftertaste. People on social media absolutely shredded Hayabusa for the performance and urged he should have done better. Hayabusa replied on national media. "We have to do better, the fans are right. I promise that we will and during the Cup of Harmony we will go for the semi-finals and nothing less, if not I will resign." Which absolutely shocked the nation and were already ready for his resignation; fantasizing who would be the next manager for the Lotus Warriors.

Cup of Harmony 77 started hosted by Kelssek and Zwangzug and Kandorith would share groups with Filindostan, Vdara, Macccian and Delaclava. Just when the media deemed the group a difficult one, maybe even more so than the World Cup Qualifiers group, Kandorith finished their first match against Delaclava with a 6 - 5 victory. The following matches would be against Filindostan which ended in a 2 - 2 draw, but put the Kandorese in first place of the group with 4 points. The Kandorese would then lose 5 - 6 against Vdara in one of the strangest matches ever seen, where even Hayabusa lost his cool against the officials and was eventually equally unkind towards the press. The team would however bounce back against Maccian with a 2 - 1 win and remain in the second place to push through to the knockout rounds, which always remains a painful moment of a tournament for them.

In Kellsek the Lotus Warriors would face Riena, a team they had never played against as Hayabusa urged the team to be cautious against them and let them do the playing. Hayabusa's team would overcome Riena in a very close match with a 3 - 2 win and would once again move to the round of 16 where they would face Kohnhead. Many media outlets rendered Kandorith without a chance with predictions ranging from 2 - 4 to 0 - 3, yet Hayabusa insisted the team could take them on if they remained calm and played like they had done so far in the tournament. Eventually another nerve wrecking game was played and Kandorith finally got control of the match in the last moments to keep a 3 - 2 lead over Kohnhead. Their next opponent in the quarter finals however is one that struck a sense of fear for the Kandorese fans, it would be Krytenia. Hayabusa urged the team to keep their composure their optimism and to play the next game with controlling the match in their mind and nothing else. It would be the matches of matches; the atmosphere was tense as both teams tried to get the overhand and it ended in a 3 - 3 in overtime. Once again the teams had to get ready for penalty kicks. It was an absolutely nervous shootout as both teams missed multiple shots and would eventually leave Kandorith standing with 3 - 2. Mercedini would be next in the semi-finals and Hayabusa had reached his set goal.

As the Kandorese population could not believe what had happened Hayabusa stated he would not stop here, he wanted to go "all the way" and truly write history; even if he already had done so. The match against Mercidini was a tight match and went far into injury time, but an amazing lobbed pass and precision volley from Hisegawa decided the match in the 93rd minute and Kandorith would stand in the finals for the first time. For the first time ever, Kandorith would appear in a final of a tournament and they would also face Geektopia for the first time. Of course everyone in Kandorith knows where they were during the final of Cup of Harmony 77 as the game was decided around the 46th minute as Geektopia now had to fight back from an amazing 3 - 1 score, Hayabusa's Kandorith however did not leave it at there and a complete massacre followed as until the 81st minute the goals kept coming and ended in a 5 - 1 victory for the Kandorese. That night the fans fell silent for a moment for the first time, even at home. Eventually roars and cheers were heard all across the cities as the realisation came; Kandorith had won the Cup of Harmony. Their new national hero of the modern times: Ken Hayabusa.

From here Ken Hayabusa now stands at the point of making sure the Kandorese team returns to the World Cup and during the playoffs all eyes within the nation will be focused on this event, the game against South Covello. The first leg will be away for Kandorith and Hayabusa already stated this is where he wants to make the difference. The team will be looking for a win in the away match to play a more relaxed style during the home match, at least that is the prediction. Knowing Hayabusa however, the Kandorese team will give their full 100% once again. This team could mean the return of the Kandorese to the World Cup, finally.

Group 9                              Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Valanora 18 16 2 0 71 24 +47 50 Q
2 Kandorith 18 11 4 3 60 36 +24 37 P
3 Qasden 18 11 1 6 39 28 +11 34
4 Ancherion 18 10 3 5 47 37 +10 33
5 Lochario 18 9 3 6 32 31 +1 30
6 Schottia 18 6 3 9 20 27 −7 21
7 Solharcht Kirale 18 5 3 10 18 43 −25 18
8 Kencana 18 4 3 11 8 26 −18 15
9 Emastalia 18 4 2 12 24 40 −16 14
10 Glazgo 18 1 2 15 22 49 −27 5
Last edited by Kandorith on Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Fluvannia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluvannia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:30 pm

DIVISION STREET JOURNAL

Tuesday, September 22, 2020
1 Mark

FLUVANNIA FINISH WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Du. PIEDMONT -- The Fluvannian national soccer team played their final match of the World Cup 86 Qualifiers on Sunday, falling to visiting Riena 3-1 at Takeuchi Park Stadium. While the Blueshirts have still fallen short of an even record, much less a winning record, they managed to put together several impressive performances over Qualifier play, netting their first five wins on the international stage and finishing eighth of ten in their group. Particularly notable was their first shutout victory, a commanding 3-0 performance at home against Ziwana, which they followed by going on the road to the Hinodejin Empire and scraping by with a 3-2 win for their first winning streak. While there is a dearth of topics for our soccer fans to boast about in any manner, we at the DSJ think they could justify a little chest thumping over a squarely upset result that likely kept the Hinodejins from automatic qualification.

With the WCQ in the books, the eyes of the international soccer community turn to the World Cup itself. The eighteen group winners and six best runner-ups qualify automatically, while the remaining twelve runner-ups battle for the final six spots in the field of 32, which is completed by the host nations, Newmanistan and Drawkland. Our money is on Banija to take the whole thing; not only did they manage the most wins of any team in the qualifiers, they had the best goal differential by far. As the groups were drawn in a manner intended to give an even mix of top-tier and lesser teams between groups, it is difficult to argue that their competition was significantly weaker than those of other qualifying teams, and as a result we can only surmise that their #1 ranking throughout the multiverse is well-earned.

Following the World Cup comes a second tournament, the Cup of Harmony, an invitational tournament for those nations that do not qualify for the main event at the World Cup. Most in our domestic sports journalism community have expressed that it is highly unlikely for an invite to be headed our way at this time; while the national team has shown obvious improvement, we're not quite there yet in terms of either skill on the field, or enthusiasm in the stands.

The results for Fluvannia's group play is as follows:

Wed., Sept  2: vs. Savigliane            L 0 - 2
Thu., Sept 3: @ Taeshan L 2 - 3
Fri., Sept 4: vs. ZSeparatists W 2 - 1
Sat., Sept 5: vs. Trolleborg D 2 - 2
Sun., Sept 6: @ Springmont L 0 - 1
Mon., Sept 7: vs. The Grearish Union D 0 - 0
Tue., Sept 8: @ Ziwana L 0 - 2
Wed., Sept 9: vs. The Hinodejin Empire L 1 - 5
Thu., Sept 10: @ Riena W 1 - 0
Fri., Sept 11: @ Savigliane L 0 - 1
Sat., Sept 12: vs. Taeshan L 1 - 3
Sun., Sept 13: @ ZSeparatists D 1 - 1
Mon., Sept 14: @ Trolleborg L 3 - 4
Tue., Sept 15: vs. Springmont W 1 - 0
Wed., Sept 16: @ The Grearish Union L 0 - 1
Thu., Sept 17: vs. Ziwana W 3 - 0
Fri., Sept 18: @ The Hinodejin Empire W 3 - 2
Sat., Sept 19: vs. Riena L 1 - 3

Catch all the Action on Arena!
If You Can't Be There, BE HERE!
Pop. 213,840,408 | GDP $11.156 T | Area 572,302.6 sq. mi. (1,482,257 sq. km) | Demonym Fluvannian
Gov't Structure Federal Constitutional Principality | Monarch Crown Prince Michael
Sports Trigram FLV
A 14 civilization, according to this index. (Tech 6, Arcane 0, Influence 6)
"Greenness" Score: 0.0796
Int'l Hockey Ranks: 20th (Sr.), 3rd (Jr.)
Silver Medal, World Jr. Hockey Championship 15
Host, WJHC 15
NS World Cup Rank: 139th

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Excerpts from The Fußball Show with Jessika Jünkindietrünk.

Jessika Jünkindietrünk is back in the studio with Olle Tobiasson, sweaty journalist, and Petter Erlingsson, less-sweaty footballer. As usual, the debate is free-flowing, covering every facet of detailed tactical insight – Petter is currently suggesting Græntfjall attempt the radical strategy of trying to score more goals than their opponents – and totally unencumbered by any ability on Jessika’s part to correctly pronounce any foreign country’s name.

“…with a gerbil.”

“Interesting thoughts Petter – Olle, your response?”

“I disagree. I think the standout player has actually not been Ralf. He’s had a good tournament, I’ll grant you that, but he’s basically done what we all expected of him. I would say the standout player has been Hrærekur Jvarsson. Now, in the Baptism of Fire he unexpectedly became something of a goal machine, but that was more about Græntfjall’s lack of goal scoring elsewhere on the pitch. This tournament he’s had to adapt to a different role, playing box-to-box behind Amanda and in front of Ketilbjörg and Kalle. He’s adapted to fit the new system, and speaking of fit, has really shown an improvement in his ability to last the full 90 minutes.”

“Do you think he’s stood out partly because, well, Amanda has not? She had a good game against Northeast Kalashnikov but otherwise has continued to be a disappointment.”

“Bluntly – yes, I do. When Græntfjall arrived at the Copa Rushmori, there was all this hype about Amanda.”

“That helped her win a contract to play in Urine.”

“But it didn’t help much besides that! It’s very difficult for Amanda, who’s only, what, 5’1”, 5’2”, to go up against international center backs. She has a good touch but her physical presence is lacking. She gets tired and often has to be substituted for Kalle, who plays a much more defensive role. I don’t blame her entirely. Losing Justiina and Sigtryggur’s seeming loss of confidence in Dan means there’s an even bigger gap in the heart of the offense. But really, we are competing for a World Cup place with such a lack of talent in the attacking midfielder – second striker position.”

“Petter, you played with Justiina for Steinaux this season. Do you agree that her absence has hurt Amanda?”

“I think it’s hurt everyone, Jessika, not least Justiina herself! I know she’d love to be out there. She’s rehabbing well but an ankle injury can’t be rushed. I agree somewhat, but I think the question is probably better put to Sigtryggur. I’ve played against plenty of exciting attacking midfield talents this season. It’s a shame that he won’t give one of them a chance.”

“Is one of them Sara Kristoffersdóttir?”

“No. Sara’s disgraceful off-field conduct should disqualify her until she shows appropriate contrition.”

“Olle?”

“Aside from whatever she may have Twootled on her Twatcher, she simply wasn’t good enough when she did play in blue-and-white. An exciting prospect, but nothing more, at this stage.”

“…and eventually I just had to get my wife to lance it with a sterilized knitting needle.”

Standing at the display board, Jessika sighs and pinches her nose.

“Thank you Olle, that was very graphic – but just to remind you, my question was, will Quackback’s offensive firepower be too much for this new look defense?”

“Oh! I see. Well, they’ll certainly be…”

Jessika turns.

“…a handful,” croaks Olle. “But the Snow Wolves have had some success against attacking teams.”

“Teams like Fartfartdildo and Southwest Carpaltunnel?”

“Exactly. Of course, Hilmar or Hjörleifur – and I think it will be the older, more experienced Hilmar that Sigtryggur goes with…”

Petter tuts, shakes his head, notes down something, as Olle continues.

“…will have Vilbjörn’s big shoes to fill. But I think the key will be Ketilbjörg. She’s had a bit of an up-and-down tournament but seems to have won a starting job, for the moment, in front of this slightly new-look defensive formation. She needs to be a strong, tenacious presence on and especially off the ball. If she can hold possession better, and then break up play when Quebec have the ball, she can be a big difference maker.”

“Petter, I sense you don’t agree with starting Hilmar!”

“I don’t. Due respect to Vilbjörn, a true giant of the game, but I’m actually really excited that his retirement means we finally get to see what Hjörleifur can do. Center backs have always been a Græntfjaller strength and he’s the next big thing, in my opinion.”

“No Steinaux bias there at all,” Olle mutters, cattily rolling his eyes. A man of his … distinguished age behaving ‘cattily’ is not an altogether welcome sight.

“I know talent whatever color shirt it’s wearing.”

“So on that, time to eat some past words about Jason Þórhallursson?” teases Amanda.

“I thought we were talking about defense…!?”

“Alright gentlemen, time to make your predictions. Are we going to be breaking down a brilliant victory for Græntfjall when we meet next time, or commiserating a lame defeat? Petter?”

“Neither. It’ll be a draw. First legs are always cagey affairs. Quebec are favorites of course but they won’t want to risk being too attacking, falling behind on the counter-attack. There’s such a strong first mover advantage in these games. I’m predicting something low-scoring and pretty evenly matched, maybe 1 – 1, wouldn’t surprise me if the goals came from set pieces.”

“Olle – oh dear, you’re shaking your head.”

“I am, because Petter is blinded by his admirable patriotism. Quebec are former World Cup semi-finalists, they’re a strong footballing and sporting nation, and their side simply has too much quality, too much experience, too much pace. I predict sixty minutes of brave if not stubborn resistance from the Snow Wolves – and then Alexander’s net will start to ripple, and it won’t stop there. The away leg could well be a rout.”

“Olle, always bringing us down. My prediction? Well, I’m just predicting a great game.” She turns to camera. “Which you can catch live on GTV, with a full highlights show at 10, followed by Olle and Petter joining me for a special play-off extra episode of The Fußball Show. Gute nacht!”
Last edited by Graintfjall on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 pm

By the numbers- The tale of Banija's 100% win record in World Cup 86 Qualifying

Banijan players celebrate goal on Final Matchday of World Cup Qualifying to clinch first ever "Perfect" Qualification campaign

BUSUKUMA, NATIONAL CAPITOL REGION- Of course, there is one overarching goal when you participate in World Cup Qualifying- qualify for the World Cup, and do so directly. There are other goals alongside of it- for Banija, it was maintaining our Pot 1 status for the Finals as our main secondary goal, and then maintaining our rank. We were able to do that, as well. Across the last two World Cup Qualification campaigns, the Kadongo Kamu have been nothing sort of dominant. WE paced the last two Qualification campaigns in terms of points earned, with 67 out of a possible 72 in 85 Qualifying, and here earning the maximum of 54 over 18 games. That gives our country a stunning record of 40-1-1 over the last two World Cup Qualification campaigns, a big reason of why we are ranked #1 and why the pressure of expectations will be on our nation to finally triumph in the Finals.

But the Finals are a few weeks away. Still six spots left, and there are plenty of entertaining World Cup Qualification playoff ties. Anyways, we're here to talk about Banija's World Cup Qualification campaign. Followed up a strong campaign last time with a stronger one this time- one cannot beat 18-0-0. We'll go through the effectiveness of this Qualification run, and our general success in World Cup Qualifying over the last two cycles, by the numbers.

86 goals The number of goals scored by the Kadongo Kamu. This high-powered offense scored at least twice in every game, scored at least three goals in 17 out of 18 played, and scored at least four goals in 15 out of 18 played. To say that the Banijan offense was high-powered would be an understatement- the free-flowing attack from the Banijans for this World Cup Qualifying campaign was borderline unstoppable. It was a stunning pace and show of consistency, how they were always a threat to score goals. No matter who they played throughout World Cup Qualifying, this was an extremely dangerous team.

Of course, there are talented players playing for big clubs across Banija's attack. You have Madu Okparra, a winger, who plays for Raynor City in Valanora. Ilman Jawara is a league rival of his in the Eternal Empire, playing for Soldarian FC. Samba Ogunsola playing for Holdenberg City, in Eura. Namakula Kawesa playing in Pasarga, Idai Uster off the bench playing in Nephara, etc... International demand from the multiverse's big leagues show that this generation of Banijan attacking talent is plentiful, and they have put on a show while playing for the national team. While the defense wasn't anything to write home about, conceding 23 times(definitely solid, but not noteworthy), the heavy attacking style of play for this campaign lended itself for the team to concede.

Two Zeroes- Of course, there is the W-D-L columns when you look at a record. This is the second time in national team history that the Kadongo Kamu have put zeroes in two of those columns. Of course, the first time, World Cup 73 Qualifying, we did it the bad way, putting zeroes in both the win and the draw column, as we went 0-0-12(W-D-L), scoring 5 goals and allowing 33 in that dismal Qualifying campaign. That meant we put a zero in the points column, as well. We have finally reversed that feat, however, by having an 100% win record in this campaign. Banijan soccer has come from literally the lowest of lows(12 but we are now up here competing for championships.

Twenty-two- The number of consecutive World Cup Qualifying matches that the Kadongo Kamu have won. Our last Qualifying loss was a 2-1 loss to Lisander, in our 20th(out of 24) Qualifiers for that campaign. So we won the last four of that campaign, followed that up with 18 consecutive wins here, and that leaves us with 22 consecutive Qualifiers won and counting. Where does this stand among international records? We have no idea if such records are kept anywhere, and could not find them ourselves. Needless to say, however, it is certainly an impressive streak, and we haven't had one this long in a while. During that 22 Qualifier winning streak, we've scored a total of 101 goals, averaging just a hair over 4.5 goals per game.

Eight- The number of World Cup Qualifying campaigns it has been since somebody made it through Qualifying with an 100% win record. In World Cup 78 Qualifying, Schottia, making their rise in world football, dominated the proceedings as they went a perfect 16-0-0. They had success in the World Cup too, although they could not win it all. They made a run to the World Cup semifinals, where they fell on penalties to Eura and won bronze medals. They followed that up with essentially an equally dominant World Cup 79 Qualifying run, earning 52 out of a possible 54 points, en route to winning the World Cup. In Qualifying for 78-79, they went a combined 33-1-0(W-D-L). Quite a record, isn't it?

Two- Banija entered World Cup Qualifying for the first time in World Cup 73. And, in all but one tournament(World Cup 78), we have played Qualifiers or in the Finals. So for this stat, we simply measured across the era where Banijan football has actually been playing. ANd looking back, since World Cup 73 Qualifying, just twice has the World Cup winner been the best team(by points) in World Cup Qualifying. World Cup 73, Eura was a perfect 12-0-0 in Qualifying, and then followed that up with winning every single match at the World Cup Finals. One of the most dominant World Cup runs we've ever seen.

After going 12-0-0 during Qualifying, they won their World Cup Finals group with a goal differential of +7, and then even dropped six goals on Farfadillis in the Quarterfinals. The only game, Qualifying or Finals, they didn't win in 90 minutes was the semifinal, where they won a penalty shootout 13-12. Imagine being there for that one, eh? World Cup 79 Qualifying, both Schottia and Electrum had 52 out of a possible 54 points, but Schottia beat out Electrum on goal difference. They were then also dominant in the World Cup Finals, winning all 7 matches in 90 minutes en route to their first ever World Cup win.

So what do the numbers say? Banija's qualifying run, this one, but even if you include 85 Qualifying, has been utterly dominant. Historically dominant. Playing with all sorts of confidence, and crushing all comers. As we maintained our #1 ranking, we are surely one of a number of favorites for what is sure to be a wide open World Cup, the first World Cup without the defending champions in it in forever. But, Qualifying form doesn't guarantee anything. Nephara in World Cup 74 needed a playoff to get to the Finals, and they won the whole thing then.

Banija's upcoming friendlies should give us more of an indicator on how they will do in the Finals. The RBSA has confirmed that they will have away friendlies against both the Commonwealth of Baker Park and Siovanija & Teusland, and they are in the process of scheduling a pair of home friendlies, although opponents have not yet been named. Qualifying has been fun- but nothing is promised for these World Cup Finals. It simply gives this team that much larger of a target on its back when we eventually arrive in Newmanistan or Drawkland, alongside 31 other nations, as everyone tries to bring home the most prestigious trophy in Sports.
Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Squornshelous
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

WC86 Pre-Playoff

Postby Squornshelous » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Imperial Minister of Sport Sweyn Petrov stood, eyes fixed studiously on the floor a few feet in front of him. The floor was gray marble, streaked with white, and covered by a long, blood-red carpet that stretched away from end to end. Just at the edge of his vision was the bottom of a broad staircase ascending between black granite piers to a dais which dominated the far end of the room. The walls were finished in the same gray marble, and hung with long banners styled after the Imperial flag. Far above, hanging lights flanked the carpet, illuminating the sweep of red, but leaving shadows to gather along the walls and in corners. This was the ancient throne room of the Emperors of Squornshelous.

Petrov found it all terribly cliché.

The dark colors and dim lighting. The insistence on covering every square inch of the room in black and red. It was something a child would have designed. No, not a child, Petrov thought inwardly, a disaffected teenager trying to impress his disaffected teenage friends. The notion that this had once been the literal seat of power for the Imperium was almost too absurd to entertain. Even his purpose here, to report, in person, on the recent fruits of his ministry's labors was ridiculous. The Emperor had access to every information and media source Petrov did and then some. There was as much need for the Minister of Sport to report recent goings on to the Emperor personally as there was for a town crier. The ritual of such ministerial reports, Petrov was convinced, persisted solely to enforce the symbolic subordination of those who truly ruled this nation to the one who liked to pretend that he did. A relic of an age so long past it was difficult to imagine. Had this room really been filled, for centuries, with courtiers and supplicants? Had the man whose ruined body slouched atop a gargantuan throne atop the dais really once been the ruler of this nation in fact, and not merely by law? No, it simply wasn't possible. Surely there had always been others like himself who had exercised true power, even if those who bore the title of Emperor did not realize the truth.

"Approach." A creaky voice summoned him out of his musing and back to the present day.

"My Lord Emperor," Petrov intoned, inclining himself ever so slightly forward in a deeper bow. The carpet swallowed up the noise of his measured stride, and he advanced to the base of the stair in silence.

"World Cup qualifying group play has concluded. Our final record is twelve wins, five losses, a single draw. This places us second in Group 10 behind Reswesin. Tove Anker's play has been of particular note. I am recommending her for the Order of the Black Sun."

"A group win would have been preferable, but this will suffice. I presume you have already made the team's travel arrangements for the finals, or has the draw yet to take place?"

"I regret Lord Emperor, but we have not yet qualified for the finals. A playoff round . . ."

"We were second in our group, were we not? Am I then wrongly informed that the likes of Turori and Savojarna are already qualified from second in their own groups?" The Emperor's tone was, quite appropriately, that of a profoundly ignorant man absolutely convinced of his own infallible knowledge. This tiresome fool.

"I beg forgiveness for my Ministry's failure to report accurately to the Lord Emperor. This cycle's qualifying tournament is a hybrid format with eighteen groups. Only the six second-placed teams with the highest point totals have qualified directly."

"What puerile invention is this?"

"An innovation by the hosting committee, proposing to curb the inordinate length of previous qualifying tournaments, Lord Emperor."

"You mean to tell me then, that despite placing second, we are yet denied our rightful place in the finals? What now?"

"A playoff, Lord Emperor. We face Terre Septentrionale."

"What mongrel tongue is that name from?"

"A variety of Gallic it seems, Lord Emperor. It means the Northern Land."

"Northern land? North of where?"

Petrov's near perfect memory always served him well in these occasions. "Of North Eurasia, Lord Emperor."

"Northern North Eurasia?"

"So it would seem, Lord Emperor."

"Yet another band of unwelcome foreigners we are forced to welcome into our Imperium."

"Most distasteful indeed Lord Emperor," it was all Petrov could do not to roll his eyes. "If I might present a request from the players, Lord Emperor?"

"If you must."

"They would be most honored, as would all of us, if the Lord Emperor might attend the home leg of the playoff."

"I will consider it. Now, if there is nothing else?"

"Only mere trifles. I have expedited the visa requests of the Sepentrionaux team, and even extended an invitation for them to bring along some supporters, not too many mind you, a couple thousand perhaps." Petrov sighed, "It would have been a simple matter to reject the applications for a handful of important players, but a bit transparent I should think."

"You call this a trifle and then determine to bore me with details regardless."

"My apologies, Lord Emperor."

"You've done well in your post Minister Petrov, and no doubt you will achieve the advancement you seek in time, but do not presume to be familiar."

"As you say, Lord Emperor."

"You may go."
The Provisional Republic of Squornshelous
Puppet of Squornshelan Remnant States
Trigram: SQU
KPB Ranking: 21.56 (34th)
World Cup 31 Champions
Runners Up: WC15 & WC38
Third Place: WC20, WC25
Semifinalist: WC18, WC27
Quarterfinalist: WC5, WC11, WC12, CoH6, WC22, WC30, WC32, WC33, WC34, WC40, CoH77
Second Round: WC6, WC7, WC9, WC16, WC21, WC23, WC24, WC28, WC36, WC37, WC39
Group Stage: WC8, WC10, WC13, WC17, WC19, WC26, WC29, WC35, WC41, CoH76, WC87
Worst Day of My Life: WC14
Other days that were not the absolute worst, but when we also didn't qualify: WC84, WC85, WC86, WC88

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm

HUElavia Finish Qualifiers on a Good Note!

HUElavia 4–1 Praeceptia
(Bittencourt 10', Guilbert 32', Dohna 69', Coelho 81' | Amet 87')
(Helles Stadion, Bish)

HUElavia came into Matchday 18 already eliminated, but Coach Garcia Kimura and the team wanted to give one last good memory before this qualifier ended. Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos opted to play with some of their reserves from the C-Team and D-Team in order to give some playing time to the youngsters. Tran was making her debut as a goalie for the team, while Coelho made his return as a starter, along with Rafael and Carolina Almeida, with Rafael being named team captain for the match. Helles Stadion (51,000) in Bish was having their "Baptism" of the team today, as it was sold out, with thousands of Breitzen-HUElavians present to watch their team play and give them support.

The match as a whole was utter domination from the team, getting shots left and right throughout the night. The opening goal came in the 10th minute, when a corner kick was taken by Sakaguchi, where Bittencourt leaped up over Grandis to head the ball past Fortis into the goal to make it 1-0. The crowd leaped with joy and cheered to make the stadium rumble, while the hometown girl Bittencourt was mobbed by her teammates in celebration. The crowd chanted her name as she waved at the crowd for her goal. The second goal would come in the 32nd minute, as a pass from youngster Savedra gave a low pass into the box, going past the defense, and Guilbert popping out of nowhere to tap the ball past Fortis into the goal to make it 2-0. The crowd once again went crazy while Guilbert celebrated with his teammates and the bench for his first goal with the team. In the second half, the third goal would come in the 69th minute, as a pass from Ruggani would go into the box, only for Pugnator to miss the ball in clearance, and Dohna would chest the ball down and blast it past Fortis to make it 3-0. The Breitzen-HUElavian girl celebrated with her teammates as she has a satisfied face for the great goal she scored, while the fans went crazy and also chanted her name in celebration. The fourth HUElavian goal would come in the 81st minute, as Coelho was looking for a pass, but saw nobody open, so he took a blistering shot and it blasted past two defenders and Fortis, as it curbed into the top side of the goal, making it 4-0. The crowd celebrated once again with passion while Coelho celebrated in the corner flag, pumping up the fans with the goal. Despite what looked like Tran was going to get her first clean sheet, in the 87th minute, Amet would take a long distance shot which Tran tried to save, but it slid past her fingertips and into the goal to make it 4-1. Shortly after, the referee blew her whistle and HUElavia won the match, ending a very trying qualifying campaign.

In the end of the Qualifiers for Group 10, Reçueçn win the group and advance to the World Cup with 42 Points (13-3-2), while Squornshelous advances to the Playoffs with 37 Points (12-1-5). HUElavia finish in 3rd Place with 36 Points (11-3-4), which the 2nd half really gave off the same mood as the 2nd half for the qualifiers in World Cup 83, where a solid 1st half of qualifiers ended up falling apart due to an erratic 2nd half. Thus, HUElavia do drop a place in the World Rankings, from 24th to 25th, which was a lot less than what other pundits predicted (29th-30th). Due to the solid performance, it is highly expected that HUElavia will be invited to the Cup of Harmony, which the HFA is poised to accept the invitation. Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos have the unwanted result of being the highest-ranked team to not qualify for the World Cup, but they are the main favorites to win the Cup of Harmony. Regardless, the team will have to train hard in order to make the 23-player roster for the tournament, as well as for the tournament itself. The fans prepare for the trip to the Cup of Harmony, looking to support the team in what they hope and pray will be a very deep run in the competition.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!
Last edited by HUElavia on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Part 1: The Barbed Inn, Chromia
Part 2: The Emerald, Ming
Part 3: Killjoy, Cortez River
Part 4: Jordan's Talk
Part 5: Islander Dome, Myana
Part 6: Busukuma/Mid-Qual Thoughts
Part 7: Triple B, Deprí Sanar
Part 8: The Date, Alnio/Chromia
Part 9: Questions and Answers
Part 10: Before the Last Day

World Cup 86 Qualifying Matchday 18:
Score: Chromatika 3-5 Banija @ The Capitalizt Dome, Chromia
Goals: Victoriane '14, Andisori, K. '53, Vidal '66
Starting XI: Tioux; Xiao - de Aea - Ken - Ilya; Victoriane - Armageddon (C) - Dragana; Mora; Andisori, K. - Vidal.
Substitutes: Anderson -> Ken ('52), Conrad -> Dragana ('71), Andisori, B. -> Vidal ('83)

For seventy minutes, the Anomalies played Banija tough. For seventy minutes, they answered every strike, to where the team ranked #1 in the world went ahead three times, and each time, the margine was answered. The Chromatiks weren't able to take the lead at any time, but they seemed like they were in the thick and thin of the match, the ability to automatically qualify as one of the six best second placed teams after the qualifying stage in sight.

Then, Banija showed their class. A har tackle to stop Ilman Jawara from having a one-on-one with Ferret Tioux for the third time in the match ended up with Giles Ken being carded and a penalty kick situation for the Kadongo Kamu. Jawara stepped up and put it away, no problem, and when Chromatika decided to send numbers forward in a late attempt to equalize, Enyinnaya Jideofor - who plies their craft for Lhor in the Rainbow League System, and had been substituted on after Kawesa was seen favoring her left knee - made them pay with a mid-range volley to put the game out of reach.

Richard Valens and Tim Landers were optimistic after the match.

"We gave them hell for a long time," Landers said afterwards to The Rebel's Kimi Jin, who had attended the match, "And if there had been a few bounces our way, we could've pulled it off. I'm proud of the players and how they fought - especially Ferret, whom, despite giving up five goals, had a solid outing with stopping at least five others that Banija had opportunities in. The team has really grown and I'm excited for our prospects."

The result, coupled with others across qualifying, have placed the Anomalies in their first Qualifying Playoffs since the legendary Playoff Groups in World Cup 83 where the Anomalies bested Ethane, Main Nation Ministry, and Busoga Islands to qualify to the Proper. Their opponent? TJUN-ia.

The Jaguars, ranked 72nd in the world before these qualifiers, have reached this stage in their third qualifying cycle. Notably, they reached the Round of Sixteen in the last Cup of Harmony, a stage further than the Anomalies in the same tournament.

TJUN-ia placed second in Group 11, with a record of 9 wins, 5 draws, and 4 losses, yielding them a total of 32 points. Chromatika's 12-2-4 record places them as the favorites with 38 points.

Here are the Jaguars' results in qualifying:
MD1: 3. @Filindostan (50) W 3-2
MD2: 9. vs Se Vende Skooma (344) W 5-2
MD3: 6. @Natanians and Nosts (114) D 0-0
MD4: 2. @Port Ember (38) W 1-0
MD5: 10. vs Union Europae (UR) D 0-0
MD6: 1. @Mriin (16) L 1-3
MD7: 5. vs South Newlandia (87) L 2-3
MD8: 8. @Southern Palm Islands (310) W 1-0
MD9: 7. vs Tikariot (243) L 0-1
MD10: 3. vs Filindostan (50) W 6-3
MD11: 9. @Se Vende Skooma (344) W 4-1
MD12: 6. vs Natanians and Nosts (114) W 4-3
MD13: 2. vs Port Ember (38) D 3-3
MD14: 10. @Union Europae (UR) W 4-2
MD15: 1. vs Mriin (16) L 1-3
MD16: 5. @South Newlandia (87) D 0-0
MD17: 8. vs Southern Palm Islands (310) W 4-3
MD18: 7. @Tikariot (243) D 1-1
As one can see, they had to fight off a spirited Tikariot (from the Baptism of Fire Chromatka co-hosted) to even reach this stage. They went 0-0-2 against Mriin, but handled second seeded Port Ember (a team Chromatika has history with) 1-1-0, and Filindostan 2-0-0. Their two losses to teams not named Mriin were interestingly both home losses, one to South Newlandia and one to Tikariot. Conversely, Chromatika only dropped one match at home - to Banija; the road defeats included Free Republic of Hong Kong and Quakmybush.

This paints an interesting picture - though Chromatika has the advantage in Goals Scored (53 vs 40) and Goals Differential (+19 vs +10), TJUN-ia did concede four less goals (30 vs 34). Their road record was also stellar at 5-3-1 which puts their home record at 4-2-3; Chromatika sports a 4-2-3 record on the road and a comfortable 8-0-1 margin at home.

The first leg pits the Anomalies at National Stadium in TJUN-ia City. Both Chromatika's road record and TJUN-ia's home record are weaker than their counterparts, meaning this result looms large, as Chromatika's near-perfect home record (you try not losing to Banija when they went 18-0-0 and were the only team to do so) and TJUN-ia's stellar road record will meet in the return leg.

Pundits in Chromatika believe that a one-goal victory while being away would mean a comfortable margin before heading to the comfortable confines of The Capitalizt Dome, but it will prove to be difficult nonetheless.

The Rebel asked five questions to the general public on a poll related to the National Team before the match against TJUN-ia, and these were the results:

1. Who should start at Left Midfielder for Chromatika?
A. Jazmin Dragana
B. Retta Conrad

74% of the people voted for Retta Conrad. One of the top responses, from ILOVEFOOTIE, read, "I've been an Anomalies fan for a long time, and a Dragana fan since her days at Brinemouth and now with my beloved Islanders. However, even the greatest fall off with age, and Retta's pure quickness and speed cannot be overlooked. If she's having an off game, let Jazmin come in around the fiftieth minute, fresh and ready to go; Retta still possesses the capability to take over a game like Jazmin used to be able to do in her heyday. It's Retta's turn to shine, at least until Vasiliy grows enough.

2. Who should start at Center Back for Chromatika alongside Henri de Aea?
A. Cierra Anderson
B. Giles Ken

The closest vote by far, 53% of the people voted for Giles Ken. AFC4EVA wrote, "This is a tough one because the two players in question bring very different things to the pitch. Cierra is the stable character who won't stand out but will make sure to get the job done. She communicates well, is an avid student of the game (being able to play two positions) and doesn't have a weak area. However, Giles is someone who isn't afraid of taking risks and knows how to make sure that those that he takes will almost always end up in Chromatika's favor. His ability to work off of Henri's strengths, which allows them to complement each other, is just the cherry on top of the cake."

3. Is Ferret Tioux now the #1 keeper for Chromatika?
A. Yes
B. No

68% of the people voted No. AnomalyObserver wrote, "Ferret is coming up, and he will be the man of the hour one day, but for now, Mia Ria is still it. If she wasn't injured, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. She studied for years under the guidance of both Nikolai Thorben and Jillian Nier; she's been on the scene for so many cycles. She may be a bit aggressive and shamelessly outspoken, but she is still our top keeper. Hopefully, Ferret will tide us over till we can have Mia join us for the World Cup Proper."

4. Should Keira Andisori retire from the National Team?
A. Yes
B. No

91% of the populace voted No. ThunderAndLightning wrote, "Go to the bench? Sure. Leave the team altogether? Not yet. Keira is pure class, and someone with her skills can make an impact by coming onto the match for twenty minutes a game. It's mostly about ego and about legacy - where does she want to stop? How important is giving the players behind her playing time for the future? I think that with her leadership, her vision, and her confidence, she should stick around the team until she is forty, for all that I care. Keira Andisori is Chromatik football."

. Is this a successful cycle for Richard Valens and Tim Landers even if the Chromatiks lose to TJUN-ia?
A. Yes
B. No
C. Only if Chromatika wins the Cup of Harmony
D. Only if Chromatika makes Cup of Harmony Quarterfinals or better
E. Other

The results were as follows:
1. Yes (36.4%)
2. Only if Chromatika makes Cup of Harmony Quarterfinals or better (25.4%)
3. Only if Chromatika wins the Cup of Harmony (20.5%)
4. No (17.3%)
5. Other (0.4%)

It seems most of the country agrees that Valens and Landers have done a very good job. Yes, if they were to lose TJUN-ia, it'd be a blow; a Cup of Harmony berth would only be fruitful if team were to actually go far. Some of the "Other" comments are rather funny - "Only if they get me a date with Olimpia Vidal", read one, "only if they beat anyone who is ranked below them in the Cup of Harmony," read another.

It will be a very interesting series, for what it's worth...
Team Selection
PO1: @ TJUN-ia
PO2: vs. TJUN-ia
Starting XI: Tioux; Xiao - de Aea - Ken - Ilya; Victoriane - Armageddon (C) - Conrad; Mora; Andisori, K. - Vidal.
Reserves: Williams, Chapman, Anderson, Will, Austic, Thorben, Dias, Dragana, Kuznetsov, Kuzami, Sierra, Andisori, B.
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:48 pm

© Sporting Times Daily 2020
World Cup Honor Roll of Nations
by Mindy Cartwright, National Soccer Editor

With just 6 playoff ties left to determine the field for the World Cup 86, it's time to look through the entire 180 team qualifying tourney to highlight those sides that deserve recognition for the campaigns they put together.

1) The Group 18 Gang: all four national teams that finished in the top half of the final table deserve credit for their excellent play against the Commonwealth; the 7-0 win against Cheergirls in match 2 was the clear aberration, as the second half encounter saw the visitors hold Baker Park to a 1-1 draw; Mercedini swept both matches, only the third time that happened in qualifying for the Bees; Savojarna dropped both encounters by identical 1-0 scoreline; and Twicetagria proved to be a formidable opponent for the second consecutive WCQ as groupmates.

2) Super Sophomores: A few others from the BOF 72 cohort showed increased competitiveness during their second appearance; Tequilo, Mavinet and Riena all threatened the status quo for much of the tourney; The Blouman Empire in their second qualifying attempt, although they didn't participate in the BOF, pushed Chromatika for the second spot behind Banija.

3) Newcomers: BOF 73 winners Graintfjall have progressed to the playoffs from Group 14 after coming out best in a three way tie for the runner-up spot, where they will look to defeat Quebec over two legs to advance on their first attempt; Tioguidos, Tikariot and Squidroidia all came through to make strong debuts; and another non-BOF side, Yuezhou made it two rookie sides that battled with Sarzonia in Group 14.

4) Third time a charm?: Trolleborg won their group and TJUN-ia are in the playoffs, while Poafmersia just missed out on making a trio of BOF 71 teams a possibility in Newmanistan & Drawkland.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, as there are worthy candidates for each of the three categories following the Group 18 list, as well as several nations that had strong qualifying efforts in bouncing back from disappointing World Cup 85 results.
Last edited by Commonwealth of Baker Park on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Independent Athletes from Quebec
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2020

Postby Independent Athletes from Quebec » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 pm

Running Up That Hill

PART 3 (31) - Quand Je Partirai

‘So….you’re a journalist.’ A suit-wearing gentleman, whose name plate Asher couldn’t read, asked in Lac-Drouin dialect of Sicoutian (OOC: Quebecois French). They were currently situated in middle of a dark, dark interrogation chamber in the Sicoutian side of the Dagan-Sicoutian Border, where few Quebecois, Dagans and other nationals of various origins were getting questioned over their specific travel purpose. While a mandatory process to make sure all's well, this was something that neither the interrogators nor the interrogated wanted to be a part of- with a half-burnt cigarette and loose joints on his fingers, it was clear to everyone that neither of them wanted to be there. ‘What kind?’

‘Sports and music, mostly.’ Asher responded, trying not to get too much into his otherworldly adventures and antics. ‘I mostly cover baseball and football games these days, though.’

He nodded, pushing his lips forward as if he was being amused. In reality, the reverse would have been a case, given the preexisting intelligence file available on him through both his visa applications and other methods. ‘Thought so. Explains your entourage….and passports.’ The interrogator responded. It seemed that most of the hurdles were now over and through. ‘Is this your first time in Sicoutimont?’

‘Yes, though I’ve read up enough on the country of past and present.’

‘Oh, good.’ said the interrogator, as he raised his eyebrows. ‘Just making sure that you aren’t one of those idiots whom would just come to this country for the sake of joys and laughs, and of course, with specific purposes of disrespecting the country’s proud resistance heritage. It’s something that we, though tainted with past adventures that strayed the wrong way for all, have stayed proud dating back to the war era. Tell me about what you know of the Southern Rushmori War.’

‘Well, Southern Rushmori War was the major international conflict that occurred between 1939 and 1945 when the Vauganian Republic, led by the Nazi government at the time, merged with most of Norskie Zasousti and some factions of Norrish Kingdom, and decided to activate their immoral, expansionist agenda to invade the remainder of Norrehavn up north, Novopetrogradian Soviet Union on East, and Sicoutimont and Valladar Westlands up West, which we all know what happened by the end-’

‘Enough, Enough! Ca suffit.’ He stopped with a stern tone on his voice. ‘Sorry about that. You certainly know your history. You see...please understand that I’m not trying to antagonise you or questioning your capabilities. That’s not what I had in mind at all.’

‘Naw, it’s fine man.’ Asher responded, trying to give off a bit more cool into his language. ‘I know you’re trying to do your job, officer, and you should be given credits for it- if anything. I’m glad you reminded me to read a bit more history books- kinda forgot to do that the past few months. Work, you see...’

‘Yeah, I get that.’ responded the interrogator, understanding the feeling of not being able to read as much due to his work schedule. He looked a bit older now, around his mid-40s. ‘I studied history too, back in Lac-Drouin. Twenty years ago.’

By now, the cigarette stump was almost at the very end of its lifespan, so the interrogator, probably in the mood to grab another, crushed it at the cigarette barrel. ‘Do you smoke?’ He asked Asher on what was more of a rhetorical question.

‘Sometimes.’ Asher shrugged, trying not to give off too many vibes. Given his status here, he knew that detail’s recorded somewhere, but didn’t want to give too much off of it.

I’ve been trying, but it’s not as easy as you’d think… He thought to himself, as he cleared his throat. It’s true that he’s been trying to quit smoking. This was partly because of enough clients, mostly those abroad than back in Quebec, complaining about the habit; and the other half was of course, someone he had loved. Eileen, though coming from ’the industry’ where every other person smoked as expected, was very much opposed to his newfound habit. Frankly, he was fine giving up with it as well- that was one thing he had accumulated over his time as an undergraduate at St-Croix, and that showed.

Given the stakes, everybody knew that, and it really showed in how many times he’s tried to do so over the past couple of years. Still, the whole process of quitting smoking was nowhere near facile, and by now it was becoming a pet peeve of his. ‘I don’t try to make too much out of smoking these days. The bitter taste, the feeling of the stump gradually burning...and the loose sound produced with how they go out like a fuse...it reminds me of my past life when I wasn’t as lucky.’

‘You really love that term, don’t you?’ The interrogator just laughed. ‘It’s a good thing though.’

‘As in?’

‘You see. I’ve interrogated thousands of those entering, in case they may be bringing wrong ideas of how this country runs or something like that. Sometimes people use the flattering words in their attempts to satisfy me and get around the questions directly being asked, though they aren’t really the hard ones since those on this side of the borders already know who you are. But then, you don’t have that.’

‘I am just lucky,’ shrugged Asher, trying not to give too much from his words and gestures. ‘I am happy to be here, though my family doesn’t really hold so much heritage on the Sicoutian Front of the war. I’m happy.

‘Don’t we all?’ Then they both chuckled for a solid minute, before the interrogator smiled once more. Time to get out. ‘You’re good to go. Don’t look for your cigarettes though. I spared whatever the book you were holding - that matters less to us.’

Eventually Asher was let go, though it did take more time than he had expected. The whole procedure, which had taken approximately two hours, was stressful enough. While long familiar with travelling into troubled spots, having long been a frequenter of those, he still found it strange enough to go through all the weird but comforting talk he just had with the interrogator on the other side of the dark room.

Asher could remember being captured once as a 17-year old, managing to find himself in middle of a highly dangerous situation while on a trip to Nuevo Caracas the Spring of 2039. Back then, Asher had finished his classes a semester earlier than usual (though still enrolled), and was just ready to spend his final six months having fun and preparing for his next chapter at St-Croix. It all seemed as if it was going to be all fine and dandles and doodles.

Of course, that's not what happened and lives had been changed by what happened back then. Since coming back, alive and well, Asher had kept himself out of mentioning anything about the situation- everybody knew that was a tabooed topic for a reason, and no invitation to a public event was sent upon the request. But sometimes, when he would look back upon the memories of that time, the dark jail, the thoughts of family back home, the howls, all the weeks spent underground. The time had passed oddly there, and maybe that’s what was making him feel slightly uncomfortable all this time.

I need a glass of whiskey after this… was what’s on his mind. At least there were some positive elements to be written about here, though for how long he was unsure. Since then, he had found himself that nothing was sure, and that perhaps the risk laid in everything beautiful or worthy. Then, and still now, he had no idea how to find himself on the right path, and that’s how five years were mostly wasted along with his pro chances (though more willingness, if you ask him on it).

At least he was still aware of it. Not easy after all those years of redefining borders and whatnot...
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Drawkland » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:24 pm

WORLD CUP 86 - NEWMANISTAN/DRAWKLAND

Cutoff for Qualification Playoff Leg 1

Now we have 12 nations fighting Tooth and Nail for the chance to join the rest of us in the World Cup. Good luck ... you'll need it!

Results
Last edited by Drawkland on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:33 am

Græntfjall left to grapple with ‘away goal rule’ after costly late slip

For fifteen all-too-brief minutes, Græntfjall – World Cup newcomers – led Quebec – former World Cup semi-finalists – in the first leg of the playoffs that will decide the two teams’ qualification fates. An historic win seemed within the grasp of the resilient Snow Wolves, who had withstood a second half onslaught from the Grim Reapers’ skilful offensive front; as victory seemed within sight, the only lingering question was whether or not to use ‘an’ before ‘historic’. [Sub. Ed.: Yes.] But then Quebec surged one final time, and Roderick Yi stepped forth to meet Erin Kang’s through-ball, strike into the top corner, and set Sigtryggur Brynjólfursson’s game plan back to square one – or even further back than that, the coach acknowledged in his post-match conference, as the international ‘away goals rule’ means he will be forced to mull a more offensive side for the return leg.

Stylish, attacking, and experienced, versus blunt, defensive, and callow: the contrasts between the two teams were fully on show at the first game ever to be played at the Grander International Arena in Steinaux, Háttmark. While the visiting Grim Reapers embody a fast, fluid, and thoroughly offensively-minded footballing philosophy, the Snow Wolves have built their surprising success on a solid defensive base. It is a mark of Brynjólfursson’s essential conservatism that defensive midfielder Kalle Bjørnsson has seen more playing time during this World Cup than any offensive substitute, despite the lack of a genuine replacement for the injured Justiina Dannysdóttir. The instinctively defensive Brynjólfursson was true to form against Quebec, bringing on Bjørnsson and left-back Ásgautur Johannesson to replace midfielders after taking the lead, and even after surrendering it preferring center back Hjörleifur Reynarsson as a replacement for lone striker Jason Þórhallursson rather than attempting to regain the initiative with a more attacking choice.

Such a tactical outlook served him well during the Baptism of Fire and many will point out his tactics have taken Græntfjall to the cusp of World Cup qualification – but actually passing that cusp may take a revision to his thinking. The World Cup utilizes an ‘away goal rule’, a rule totally unknown in Græntfjaller football. Two-leg games are not a feature of the Græntfjall Cup. The country gained a limited exposure to two-leg games during last season’s international club football tournaments, but Græntfjaller entrants skilfully avoided the rule’s sinister machinations by being sure to lose heavily in both home and away ties. The rule means a 0 – 0 tie – suggested by some, rather cynically, to be Brynjólfursson’s favorite result – would see Græntfjall knocked out, while a 1 – 1 tie would take matters to extra time and even penalties. While a defeat would of course guarantee elimination, Græntfjall will travel to Quebec knowing they must, at minimum, score two goals in order to have any chance of progressing. For a team that averaged just 1.44 goals during qualification, the challenge is formidable.

“We all know Brynjólfursson likes his hyper-defensive style,” says football journalist Olle Tobiasson. “But he simply cannot afford it for this one game. He must start a more attacking formation and be more willing to inject some second-wave offensive spark off the bench.” Steinaux striker Petter Erlingsson agreed that “although the Snow Wolves will be worried about conceding cheap goals in front of a baying Bubonic Plague [the Quebecois ultras] home crowd, they don’t have any choice in the matter: they have to go for it”. One forced change is already known, with center back Hilmar Farmansson, the retired Vilbjörn Hjörleifursson’s replacement, suspended; Reynarsson is expected to start ahead of Tom Ernestisson. But it will be further up-field that potential changes are more heavily weighed. The out-of-favor Dan Antoninsson may make a return to the starting lineup at the expense of Ketilbjörg Aunosdóttir, while Matthias Raphaelsson’s place is under pressure from Hlégestur Snæþórsson.

Antoninsson and Snæþórsson represent the phenomenon of players who performed strongly during the Baptism of Fire, helping lead the Snow Wolves to their first ever international title, but who nonetheless have failed to impress during World Cup qualifying and lost playing time to those who had been previously unavailable during the Olympics. Now their services may be called on once more, either as starters or as impact subs off the bench. “Brynjólfursson didn’t like Snæþórsson’s sloppy play and poor defensive work rate,” says Tobiasson. “But he’s scored goals, including his magical free-kick [that won the BoF quarter-final]. He really can’t overlook that.” Antoninsson’s goal-scoring record is modest by international standards – 5 in 24 appearances – but he scored 4 in just 9 games during the BoF when asked to take on more responsibility as Jason Þórhallursson was absent for the Olympics. “Dan is a quality striker and could have a real impact,” says Erlingsson.

Such tactical calculations are needed because of the 74th minute goal conceded in the first leg. The result of a fast break counter-attack from a corner at their own end, Quebec brought the ball up-field rapidly and Kang picked out Yi with a precision pass; his rifled shot from his left foot was unstoppably powerful and unerringly accurate. Right-back Karoline Vernerisdóttir and center-back Farmansson came under some criticism from match commentators, but were defended by central midfielder Hrærekur Jvarsson. “Karoline and Hilmar had good games,” he said after the match. “Karoline was involved in our goal, and Hilmar marked the hell out of Michel Fillion for most of the game. The goal wasn’t their fault at all – it was just a very good counter-attacking move and we were collectively too slow to get back and stop it.” He also praised goalkeeper Alexander Leonardsson, whose late save from a stinging Kate Huitema-Omeasoo blast ensured parity, at least, remained. “Everyone’s moping about this away goal, well, at least there weren’t two of them! And we have Alexander to thank for that,” he said.

Jvarsson is expected to be elected captain by the team’s players in the second leg, but acknowledged his own place was “not guaranteed” and could well be shuffled out to make room for a more attacking force off the bench. He acknowledged more creativity was needed, but pointed out that even with their defensive 4-1-4-1 formation, they had created three good chances during the game. “If Jason’s header had been just two inches lower,” he said of striker Þórhallursson’s dramatic diving header that rebounded off the cross-bar in the major attacking moment of the first half, “Or if Bríana’s shot had just stayed inside the post, it would be a different story.” Bríana Noahsdóttir struck the outside of the post with a curling volley minutes before her corner provided Græntfjall with their lone goal of the match. Having won the corner, Vernerisdóttir was first to it, and her whipped shot across goal turned in by a spectacularly nonchalant Amanda Guttisdóttir backheel. “A little bit of luck,” Amanda admitted with a grin after the match. “But only a little.”

Whatever selection of players take the field in Quebec, and in whatever formation, the stark simplicity of the task facing them – score at least two goals, don’t lose – is at odds with the enormity of its scale when put into context. Few countries have ever qualified for the World Cup at the first time of asking. Græntfjall are ranked some thirty-five places lower than any other team in play-off contention, and came through their group thanks only to having the best of a three-way tie on a tiebreaker. With little footballing history to fall back on, the Snow Wolves face an enormous challenge – and if they fail, a long, solemn trip back to shores already frosting with the first of the winter white.

Græntfjall – 1 (0)
Leonardsson; Vilbertsdóttir, Farmansson Image (22’), Álfarsson, Vernerisdóttir; Aunosdóttir; Raphaelsson Image (62’ Johannesson Image), Guttisdóttir Image (58’) Image (64’ Bjørnsson Image), Jvarsson Image (90’), Noahsdóttir; Þórhallursson Image (78’ Reynarsson Image)

Quebec – 1 (0)
Cadwaladr-Andjaparidze; Hanson-Conavacio, Raeff Image (86’ Manitopeyes Image), McKechnie, Kim-Lumaniyka; MacDougal, Kang; Hertel Image (56’ Namur-Jaurès Image); Yi Image (74’), Fillion Image (63’ Khedira Image), Huitema-Omeasoo Image (35’)

Also in the paper:
  • NEWS: By-election defeat further eats into government majority
  • BUSINESS: Rocky month for bonds points to uncertain recovery from years of Leftist government
  • LAW: Legal battle over minaret ban likely to go to Supreme Court
  • FASHION: Accept no substitute: the ten brands of baby seal fur you must try this winter
  • SPORT: Þórhallursson leads pre-season shirt sales despite uncertain club future

Consider this confirmation that Græntfjall will indeed switch to a highly attacking modifier - +1 - for the second leg.
Last edited by Graintfjall on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports